can't open mny2005 file in MSmoney2008

I'm at my wits end! could anyone please help??here is my problem.

I have been using money since 6.0 (1998). Every year i have been creating
new seperate files. 98,99,2000.2001,2002,2003 etc.

I have since upgraded to MSMONEY 2005 (14.0.120.xxxx) which is the US version.

We had to format the computer because of a crash. Fortunately, we backup the
mny files.

We were able to open ALL the files in MSMONEY 2005 (thus being able to
convert them to the MNY2005 version).

As microsoft is ending production of MSMONEY we decided to move to QUICKEN.
Knowing there is a built-in converter path from MONEY 2008 to QUICKEN10 we
tried to install trail MSmoney 2008 home & office. The install went fine BUT
the MNY2005 files would NOT open in MSMONEY2008 citing "Money can't open this
file because it was created using a different version of Money."

From reading all the messenges, the "upgrade" should not be an issue IF
MSMONEY 2005 was a U.S version. (which it is).

As i see it this is the path....
MSMONEY deluxe 2005 (US) >> MSMONEY trail home & offce 2008 (US) >> Quicken10

Could someone please shade some light on this problem??

Why cant mny2006 in open in MSMONEY2008??!?!?!?!

money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

Why do you create a new file every year?

"Kervs" <Kervs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm at my wits end! could anyone please help??here is my problem.
>
> I have been using money since 6.0 (1998). Every year i have been creating
> new seperate files. 98,99,2000.2001,2002,2003 etc.
>
> I have since upgraded to MSMONEY 2005 (14.0.120.xxxx) which is the US
> version.
>
> We had to format the computer because of a crash. Fortunately, we backup
> the
> mny files.
>
> We were able to open ALL the files in MSMONEY 2005 (thus being able to
> convert them to the MNY2005 version).
>
> As microsoft is ending production of MSMONEY we decided to move to
> QUICKEN.
> Knowing there is a built-in converter path from MONEY 2008 to QUICKEN10 we
> tried to install trail MSmoney 2008 home & office. The install went fine
> BUT
> the MNY2005 files would NOT open in MSMONEY2008 citing "Money can't open
> this
> file because it was created using a different version of Money."
>
> From reading all the messenges, the "upgrade" should not be an issue IF
> MSMONEY 2005 was a U.S version. (which it is).
>
> As i see it this is the path....
> MSMONEY deluxe 2005 (US) >> MSMONEY trail home & offce 2008 (US) >>
> Quicken10
>
> Could someone please shade some light on this problem??
>
> Why cant mny2006 in open in MSMONEY2008??!?!?!?!

0
Cindy
11/10/2009 10:46:32 PM
In microsoft.public.money, Kervs wrote:

>I'm at my wits end! could anyone please help??here is my problem.
>
>I have been using money since 6.0 (1998). Every year i have been creating
>new seperate files. 98,99,2000.2001,2002,2003 etc.
>
>I have since upgraded to MSMONEY 2005 (14.0.120.xxxx) which is the US version.
>
>We had to format the computer because of a crash. Fortunately, we backup the
>mny files.
>
>We were able to open ALL the files in MSMONEY 2005 (thus being able to
>convert them to the MNY2005 version).
>
>As microsoft is ending production of MSMONEY we decided to move to QUICKEN.
>Knowing there is a built-in converter path from MONEY 2008 to QUICKEN10 we
>tried to install trail MSmoney 2008 home & office. The install went fine BUT
>the MNY2005 files would NOT open in MSMONEY2008 citing "Money can't open this
>file because it was created using a different version of Money."
>
>From reading all the messenges, the "upgrade" should not be an issue IF
>MSMONEY 2005 was a U.S version. (which it is).
>
>As i see it this is the path....
>MSMONEY deluxe 2005 (US) >> MSMONEY trail home & offce 2008 (US) >> Quicken10
>
>Could someone please shade some light on this problem??
>
>Why cant mny2006 in open in MSMONEY2008??!?!?!?!

When you say "mny2006", what do you mean? Are you referring to
Microsoft Money 2006, or one of your data files called mny2006.mny?

It is not really clear what your current situation is. I suspect you
installed the Money Plus trial in order to do the conversion to
Quicken. In the process you may have uninstalled Money 2005, and
later reinstalled Money 2005. Is that your situation?

Or are you saying that the Money Plus Business trial version would
not open one of your *.mny files, and therefore you could not
convert that file to Quicken?

0
Cal
11/10/2009 10:59:12 PM
Thanks for replying Cal Learner.

I do apologize about my last sentence. What i meant is ..
"Why cant mny2005 in open in MSMONEY2008??!?!?!?! "

To clarify... i am unable to open my mny2005 files in MONEY2007 or MONEY
2008.( i have tried installing both Money2007/2008) I get the message..
"Money can't open this file because it was created using a different version
of Money."

Whilst installing MONEY 2007 /2008, I didn't uninstall it MONEY 2005.

In summary you hit the nail on the head...
Money Plus Business trial version would not open one of my *.mny files, and
therefore I could not convert that file to Quicken

Kervs

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, Kervs wrote:
>
> >I'm at my wits end! could anyone please help??here is my problem.
> >
> >I have been using money since 6.0 (1998). Every year i have been creating
> >new seperate files. 98,99,2000.2001,2002,2003 etc.
> >
> >I have since upgraded to MSMONEY 2005 (14.0.120.xxxx) which is the US version.
> >
> >We had to format the computer because of a crash. Fortunately, we backup the
> >mny files.
> >
> >We were able to open ALL the files in MSMONEY 2005 (thus being able to
> >convert them to the MNY2005 version).
> >
> >As microsoft is ending production of MSMONEY we decided to move to QUICKEN.
> >Knowing there is a built-in converter path from MONEY 2008 to QUICKEN10 we
> >tried to install trail MSmoney 2008 home & office. The install went fine BUT
> >the MNY2005 files would NOT open in MSMONEY2008 citing "Money can't open this
> >file because it was created using a different version of Money."
> >
> >From reading all the messenges, the "upgrade" should not be an issue IF
> >MSMONEY 2005 was a U.S version. (which it is).
> >
> >As i see it this is the path....
> >MSMONEY deluxe 2005 (US) >> MSMONEY trail home & offce 2008 (US) >> Quicken10
> >
> >Could someone please shade some light on this problem??
> >
> >Why cant mny2006 in open in MSMONEY2008??!?!?!?!
> >

> When you say "mny2006", what do you mean? Are you referring to
> Microsoft Money 2006, or one of your data files called mny2006.mny?
>
> It is not really clear what your current situation is. I suspect you
> installed the Money Plus trial in order to do the conversion to
> Quicken. In the process you may have uninstalled Money 2005, and
> later reinstalled Money 2005. Is that your situation?
>
> Or are you saying that the Money Plus Business trial version would
> not open one of your *.mny files, and therefore you could not
> convert that file to Quicken?
>
> .

Hi Cindy,
Actually, it wasnt me that created it that way. It was my buddy.

Kervs.

"Cindy Conover" wrote:

> Why do you create a new file every year?
>
> "Kervs" <Kervs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm at my wits end! could anyone please help??here is my problem.
> >
> > I have been using money since 6.0 (1998). Every year i have been creating
> > new seperate files. 98,99,2000.2001,2002,2003 etc.
> >
> > I have since upgraded to MSMONEY 2005 (14.0.120.xxxx) which is the US
> > version.
> >
> > We had to format the computer because of a crash. Fortunately, we backup
> > the
> > mny files.
> >
> > We were able to open ALL the files in MSMONEY 2005 (thus being able to
> > convert them to the MNY2005 version).
> >
> > As microsoft is ending production of MSMONEY we decided to move to
> > QUICKEN.
> > Knowing there is a built-in converter path from MONEY 2008 to QUICKEN10 we
> > tried to install trail MSmoney 2008 home & office. The install went fine
> > BUT
> > the MNY2005 files would NOT open in MSMONEY2008 citing "Money can't open
> > this
> > file because it was created using a different version of Money."
> >
> > From reading all the messenges, the "upgrade" should not be an issue IF
> > MSMONEY 2005 was a U.S version. (which it is).
> >
> > As i see it this is the path....
> > MSMONEY deluxe 2005 (US) >> MSMONEY trail home & offce 2008 (US) >>
> > Quicken10
> >
> > Could someone please shade some light on this problem??
> >
> > Why cant mny2006 in open in MSMONEY2008??!?!?!?!

In microsoft.public.money, Kervs wrote:

>Thanks for replying Cal Learner.
>
>I do apologize about my last sentence. What i meant is ..
>"Why cant mny2005 in open in MSMONEY2008??!?!?!?! "
>
>To clarify... i am unable to open my mny2005 files in MONEY2007 or MONEY
>2008.( i have tried installing both Money2007/2008) I get the message..
>"Money can't open this file because it was created using a different version
>of Money."
>
>Whilst installing MONEY 2007 /2008, I didn't uninstall it MONEY 2005.

Ahhh. You are trying to get Money Plus to convert a UK Microsoft
Money 2005 file. I am sorry, but it cannot do that. What you can do
is to prepare an install disk that will let you reinstall Money 2005
onto a replacement computer after the servers stop providing the
updates. See http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/630.aspx for a method
of making a self-contained disk for reinstall of Money 2005 with the
updates in place.

If you reinstall for any reason before the end of January 2011, it
is important to open sample.mny or a new file to let Money first
update to version 14.0.*.1105 before trying to open or restore
existing Money 2005 files. The other thing is that if Money Plus
attempted to convert an existing file of yours, it would have left a
copy as a *.m14 file. You should check for such a file. That file
can be read by your Money 2005 install.

The other alternative, if you really want to switch to some other
choice away from Money 2005 UK, is to export QIF files and to import
them into you new software.

The microsoft.public.uk.money group has other users of Money 2005
UK, and you will find good info there.

>In summary you hit the nail on the head...
>Money Plus Business trial version would not open one of my *.mny files, and
>therefore I could not convert that file to Quicken
>
>Kervs
>

>"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:
>
>> In microsoft.public.money, Kervs wrote:
>>
>> >I'm at my wits end! could anyone please help??here is my problem.
>> >
>> >I have been using money since 6.0 (1998). Every year i have been creating
>> >new seperate files. 98,99,2000.2001,2002,2003 etc.
>> >
>> >I have since upgraded to MSMONEY 2005 (14.0.120.xxxx) which is the US version.
>> >
>> >We had to format the computer because of a crash. Fortunately, we backup the
>> >mny files.
>> >
>> >We were able to open ALL the files in MSMONEY 2005 (thus being able to
>> >convert them to the MNY2005 version).
>> >
>> >As microsoft is ending production of MSMONEY we decided to move to QUICKEN.
>> >Knowing there is a built-in converter path from MONEY 2008 to QUICKEN10 we
>> >tried to install trail MSmoney 2008 home & office. The install went fine BUT
>> >the MNY2005 files would NOT open in MSMONEY2008 citing "Money can't open this
>> >file because it was created using a different version of Money."
>> >
>> >From reading all the messenges, the "upgrade" should not be an issue IF
>> >MSMONEY 2005 was a U.S version. (which it is).
>> >
>> >As i see it this is the path....
>> >MSMONEY deluxe 2005 (US) >> MSMONEY trail home & offce 2008 (US) >> Quicken10
>> >
>> >Could someone please shade some light on this problem??
>> >
>> >Why cant mny2006 in open in MSMONEY2008??!?!?!?!
>> >

>> When you say "mny2006", what do you mean? Are you referring to
>> Microsoft Money 2006, or one of your data files called mny2006.mny?
>>
>> It is not really clear what your current situation is. I suspect you
>> installed the Money Plus trial in order to do the conversion to
>> Quicken. In the process you may have uninstalled Money 2005, and
>> later reinstalled Money 2005. Is that your situation?
>>
>> Or are you saying that the Money Plus Business trial version would
>> not open one of your *.mny files, and therefore you could not
>> convert that file to Quicken?
>>
>> .

0
Cal
11/11/2009 7:51:36 PM
Hi Cal Learner.

I'm using MONEY2005 US version.  I know this because looking at the version
number 14.0.120.1105. 120 indicates that it is the USA version.

I would rather not use the QIF version because i have too many file and too
many account in each one to export individual QIF.  Any other ideas??

Kervs

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, Kervs wrote:
>
> >Thanks for replying Cal Learner.
> >
> >I do apologize about my last sentence. What i meant is ..
> >"Why cant mny2005 in open in MSMONEY2008??!?!?!?! "
> >
> >To clarify... i am unable to open my mny2005 files in MONEY2007 or MONEY
> >2008.( i have tried installing both Money2007/2008) I get the message..
> >"Money can't open this file because it was created using a different version
> >of Money."
> >
> >Whilst installing MONEY 2007 /2008, I didn't uninstall it MONEY 2005.
>
> Ahhh. You are trying to get Money Plus to convert a UK Microsoft
> Money 2005 file. I am sorry, but it cannot do that. What you can do
> is to prepare an install disk that will let you reinstall Money 2005
> onto a replacement computer after the servers stop providing the
> updates. See http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/630.aspx for a method
> of making a self-contained disk for reinstall of Money 2005 with the
> updates in place.
>
> If you reinstall for any reason before the end of January 2011, it
> is important to open sample.mny or a new file to let Money first
> update to version 14.0.*.1105 before trying to open or restore
> existing Money 2005 files. The other thing is that if Money Plus
> attempted to convert an existing file of yours, it would have left a
> copy as a *.m14 file. You should check for such a file. That file
> can be read by your Money 2005 install.
>
> The other alternative, if you really want to switch to some other
> choice away from Money 2005 UK, is to export QIF files and to import
> them into you new software.
>
> The microsoft.public.uk.money group has other users of Money 2005
> UK, and you will find good info there.
>

> >In summary you hit the nail on the head...
> >Money Plus Business trial version would not open one of my *.mny files, and
> >therefore I could not convert that file to Quicken
> >
> >Kervs

> >> When you say "mny2006", what do you mean? Are you referring to
> >> Microsoft Money 2006, or one of your data files called mny2006.mny?
> >>
> >> It is not really clear what your current situation is. I suspect you
> >> installed the Money Plus trial in order to do the conversion to
> >> Quicken. In the process you may have uninstalled Money 2005, and
> >> later reinstalled Money 2005. Is that your situation?
> >>
> >> Or are you saying that the Money Plus Business trial version would
> >> not open one of your *.mny files, and therefore you could not
> >> convert that file to Quicken?
> >>
> >> .
> >>
> .

In microsoft.public.money, Kervs wrote:

>I'm using MONEY2005 US version.  I know this because looking at the version
>number 14.0.120.1105. 120 indicates that it is the USA version.

The UK Money 2005 (the latest) are all version 14.0.120.1105. That
is Deluxe. In the USA there were these:

Standard: 14.0.80.1105
Deluxe: 14.0.120.1105
Premium: 14.0.125.1105

Here is a way to tell the US vs UK Money 2005 Deluxe apart:

In Help->About there is a License Terms (US/Canada) or
(UK)Licence terms button. That is easier than looking up the
spelling of cheque vs check in Help items.

>I would rather not use the QIF version because i have too many file and too
>many account in each one to export individual QIF.  Any other ideas??

Not if you are using the UK version. Check back with the results of
the Licence/License test.
0
Cal
11/12/2009 1:55:52 PM
Sorry but the .120. indicates a particular product not necessarily UK or US.
Have a look in Help and see how check or cheque is spelt.

Bob Peel

> Hi Cal Learner.
>
> I'm using MONEY2005 US version.  I know this because looking at the
> version
> number 14.0.120.1105. 120 indicates that it is the USA version.
>
> I would rather not use the QIF version because i have too many file and
> too
> many account in each one to export individual QIF.  Any other ideas??
>
> Kervs
>

> "Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:
>
>> In microsoft.public.money, Kervs wrote:
>>
>> >Thanks for replying Cal Learner.
>> >
>> >I do apologize about my last sentence. What i meant is ..
>> >"Why cant mny2005 in open in MSMONEY2008??!?!?!?! "
>> >
>> >To clarify... i am unable to open my mny2005 files in MONEY2007 or MONEY
>> >2008.( i have tried installing both Money2007/2008) I get the message..
>> >"Money can't open this file because it was created using a different
>> >version
>> >of Money."
>> >
>> >Whilst installing MONEY 2007 /2008, I didn't uninstall it MONEY 2005.
>>
>> Ahhh. You are trying to get Money Plus to convert a UK Microsoft
>> Money 2005 file. I am sorry, but it cannot do that. What you can do
>> is to prepare an install disk that will let you reinstall Money 2005
>> onto a replacement computer after the servers stop providing the
>> updates. See http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/630.aspx for a method
>> of making a self-contained disk for reinstall of Money 2005 with the
>> updates in place.
>>
>> If you reinstall for any reason before the end of January 2011, it
>> is important to open sample.mny or a new file to let Money first
>> update to version 14.0.*.1105 before trying to open or restore
>> existing Money 2005 files. The other thing is that if Money Plus
>> attempted to convert an existing file of yours, it would have left a
>> copy as a *.m14 file. You should check for such a file. That file
>> can be read by your Money 2005 install.
>>
>> The other alternative, if you really want to switch to some other
>> choice away from Money 2005 UK, is to export QIF files and to import
>> them into you new software.
>>
>> The microsoft.public.uk.money group has other users of Money 2005
>> UK, and you will find good info there.
>>

>> >In summary you hit the nail on the head...
>> >Money Plus Business trial version would not open one of my *.mny files,
>> >and
>> >therefore I could not convert that file to Quicken
>> >
>> >Kervs

>> .

0
Bob
11/12/2009 3:14:14 PM
I'm in the same boat.  Been using money since first edition and everytime
I've upgraded Windows the Money program was able to open.  My last version
was Money 2004 in Windows XP.  Got a new computer with Windows 2007 and Money
2004 willl not install on it and the compatibility tool will not fix it.
Downloaded 06 Money trial, but it expired and won't let me work in it.
Downloaded 07 trial and it won't open older versions of the file.  I'm here
looking for help as well a and not finding any.  Thinking of moving to Mac
next time - sick of Microsoft issues and this is another example.  Good luck
and Happy New Year

"Kervs" wrote:

> I'm at my wits end! could anyone please help??here is my problem.
>
> I have been using money since 6.0 (1998). Every year i have been creating
> new seperate files. 98,99,2000.2001,2002,2003 etc.
>
> I have since upgraded to MSMONEY 2005 (14.0.120.xxxx) which is the US version.
>
> We had to format the computer because of a crash. Fortunately, we backup the
> mny files.
>
> We were able to open ALL the files in MSMONEY 2005 (thus being able to
> convert them to the MNY2005 version).
>
> As microsoft is ending production of MSMONEY we decided to move to QUICKEN.
> Knowing there is a built-in converter path from MONEY 2008 to QUICKEN10 we
> tried to install trail MSmoney 2008 home & office. The install went fine BUT
> the MNY2005 files would NOT open in MSMONEY2008 citing "Money can't open this
> file because it was created using a different version of Money."
>
> From reading all the messenges, the "upgrade" should not be an issue IF
> MSMONEY 2005 was a U.S version. (which it is).
>
> As i see it this is the path....
> MSMONEY deluxe 2005 (US) >> MSMONEY trail home & offce 2008 (US) >> Quicken10
>
> Could someone please shade some light on this problem??
>
> Why cant mny2006 in open in MSMONEY2008??!?!?!?!

As far as I know there is no such thing as Windows 2007 - an Operating
System.

Microsoft Money 2004 will run on Windows 7-32 and on Windows 7-64 provided
it is properly installed - others can do it.

teabag

"Kathie" <Kathie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm in the same boat.  Been using money since first edition and everytime
> I've upgraded Windows the Money program was able to open.  My last version
> was Money 2004 in Windows XP.  Got a new computer with Windows 2007 and
> Money
> 2004 willl not install on it and the compatibility tool will not fix it.
> Downloaded 06 Money trial, but it expired and won't let me work in it.
> Downloaded 07 trial and it won't open older versions of the file.  I'm
> here
> looking for help as well a and not finding any.  Thinking of moving to Mac
> next time - sick of Microsoft issues and this is another example.  Good
> luck
> and Happy New Year
>
> "Kervs" wrote:
>
>> I'm at my wits end! could anyone please help??here is my problem.
>>
>> I have been using money since 6.0 (1998). Every year i have been creating
>> new seperate files. 98,99,2000.2001,2002,2003 etc.
>>
>> I have since upgraded to MSMONEY 2005 (14.0.120.xxxx) which is the US
>> version.
>>
>> We had to format the computer because of a crash. Fortunately, we backup
>> the
>> mny files.
>>
>> We were able to open ALL the files in MSMONEY 2005 (thus being able to
>> convert them to the MNY2005 version).
>>
>> As microsoft is ending production of MSMONEY we decided to move to
>> QUICKEN.
>> Knowing there is a built-in converter path from MONEY 2008 to QUICKEN10
>> we
>> tried to install trail MSmoney 2008 home & office. The install went fine
>> BUT
>> the MNY2005 files would NOT open in MSMONEY2008 citing "Money can't open
>> this
>> file because it was created using a different version of Money."
>>
>> From reading all the messenges, the "upgrade" should not be an issue IF
>> MSMONEY 2005 was a U.S version. (which it is).
>>
>> As i see it this is the path....
>> MSMONEY deluxe 2005 (US) >> MSMONEY trail home & offce 2008 (US) >>
>> Quicken10
>>
>> Could someone please shade some light on this problem??
>>
>> Why cant mny2006 in open in MSMONEY2008??!?!?!?!

0
teabag

Here is fix for Windows file problems

Fax Icon on my File menu and toolbar

Outlook 2000 not opening.

Outlook receiving zip files

unable to read file #7

SBS 2003 moving of users files

Importing AOL Email File Cabinet

Exporting contacts in a csv file

Publisher can not save file

Excel 2007 PC damages Mac Excel 2008 Files

Opening Multiple Web Links in a Column

Continuing problmes with chkdsk and PST file
My PST file is apparently corrupted, with "Data error, cyclic redundancy check" upon starting Outlook. As per earlier advice, i ran chkdsk /r. But, chkdsk hangs. The % done on phase 4, file data check, was moving along at 1% per every 1 to 5 minutes. Then, at exactly 50%, it just stopped moving. I left it for a few hours, but no further progress (so i interrupted it). The disk light was on continually, but no progress in % complete. Also, if scanpst.exe is run, windows crashes (blue screen). So, are there any further suggestions? Is there any disk utility more robust t...

Numbering in Book Files
I am creating a tech manual where each chapter is its own file. I have created an outline numbered list and saved the list in a template that I then use to create the new chapters. However, I am finding that when I go into a new chapter that the outline numbering does not pick up on the chapter (Heading 1) number. For example: Chapter 1: Heading 1 style 1.1: Heading 2 style 1.1.1: Heading 3 style, etc. But when I start my next chapter, when I update the chapter number to start at 2, I get this: Chapter 2: Heading 1 style 1.1: Heading 2 style 1.1.1: Heading 3 style, etc. ...

Cannot Drag Open Desktop Screen
Hi: I have a friend running XP MCE (2005) SP3 and he cannot drag an open screen on his desktop by Left clicking and holding cursor on the top of screen. Any suggestions as to how to remedy this problem of not being able to drag a screen will be appreciated Thanks, ColTom2. On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 16:48:43 -0400, "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote: >Hi: > > I have a friend running XP MCE (2005) SP3 and he cannot drag an open >screen on his desktop by Left clicking and holding cursor on the top of >screen. > > A...

Restoring Outlook Files
hi, I need to move the actual inbox, etc. from one hard drive to another. Which files do I look for? I had Outlook configured as an IMAP client. I keep looking for a master "inbox" or "mailbox" file, but am unable to find it. thanks for the help! rt brown Look here for all the information you need on backup and restoration of Outlook data: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:02b50...