I am experiencing a recurring problem.  I have had to reinstall Windows XP
and MS Money 2005.  I am now unable to open my previously converted 2005 file
or restore any backup version.  I consistently get the following error
message:

"Money cannot locate filename or cannot open it, possibly
because it is a read-only file, you do not have
permission to change it, or your disk drive is write-
protected. If you have chosen the correct file and it
cannot be accessed, you will need to click OK and then
Restore your most recent backup file."

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

scott
0
szinman (2)
2/10/2005 4:47:07 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, szinman wrote:

>I am experiencing a recurring problem.  I have had to reinstall Windows XP
>and MS Money 2005.  I am now unable to open my previously converted 2005 file
>or restore any backup version.  I consistently get the following error
>message:
>
>"Money cannot locate filename or cannot open it, possibly
>because it is a read-only file, you do not have
>permission to change it, or your disk drive is write-
>protected. If you have chosen the correct file and it
>cannot be accessed, you will need to click OK and then
>Restore your most recent backup file."
>
>Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Have Money create a new file. Select Decline when asked about
Passport. Money should do an update. Close Money, and open it again.
Your version will be 14.0.*.1105 after the updates completes.

Click File. If your real file is listed at the bottom of the
drop-down list, select your file.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
2/10/2005 4:59:21 PM
Cal,

Thank you.  I'll give it a try.

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, szinman wrote:
>
> >I am experiencing a recurring problem.  I have had to reinstall Windows XP
> >and MS Money 2005.  I am now unable to open my previously converted 2005 file
> >or restore any backup version.  I consistently get the following error
> >message:
> >
> >"Money cannot locate filename or cannot open it, possibly
> >because it is a read-only file, you do not have
> >permission to change it, or your disk drive is write-
> >protected. If you have chosen the correct file and it
> >cannot be accessed, you will need to click OK and then
> >Restore your most recent backup file."
> >
> >Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Have Money create a new file. Select Decline when asked about
> Passport. Money should do an update. Close Money, and open it again.
> Your version will be 14.0.*.1105 after the updates completes.
>
> Click File. If your real file is listed at the bottom of the
> drop-down list, select your file.

0
szinman (2)
2/10/2005 6:23:08 PM
In microsoft.public.money, szinman wrote:

>> Click File. If your real file is listed at the bottom of the
>> drop-down list, select your file.

Actually, let me change that part: then do File->Open, and browse to
your actual Money file.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
2/10/2005 6:32:44 PM
For those reading the archives: also see
http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=177.

"szinman" <szinman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am experiencing a recurring problem.  I have had to reinstall Windows XP
> and MS Money 2005.  I am now unable to open my previously converted 2005
file
> or restore any backup version.  I consistently get the following error
> message:
>
> "Money cannot locate filename or cannot open it, possibly
> because it is a read-only file, you do not have
> permission to change it, or your disk drive is write-
> protected. If you have chosen the correct file and it
> cannot be accessed, you will need to click OK and then
> Restore your most recent backup file."
>
> Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
>
> scott

Maximum file sizes

owa cant open ppt attachments

find action on log file

File size #11

Linking files 2 ways

Matching transactions in 2005
I upgraded from Money 2004 to Money 2005. I've always had trouble getting transactions to match when they are downloaded from the bank. For instance, I would enter a transaction into Money, and then when it downloaded my statement from the bank it would enter a new transaction instead of matching it to the one that I created. In 2004, you could right-click on the transaction and then choose "match", or something along those lines. I don't see that option in 2005. How do you match duplicate transactions in 2005? I'm using Premium if it matters, and my register view ...

How to repair a .dll file in IE8

Using Relative path for XML data file?

Pulling data from separate tabs

data sort

cannot open hyper links in outlook

CSV Files and VLOOKUP error

predict future data

Money End of Support
I may be asking something that's already been asked 1000 times (apologies in advance), but I'm just not 100% clear on something re: Microsoft's decision to end their support of Money. I'm a current Money Plus customer who uses the online features for stock updates, credit card downloads, bank statement downloads, and investment downloads (no Bill Pay). Reading their FAQ page, it seems that service should continue until 1/31/2011. However, when I shutdown money, I get a message that says "online services will expire in 21 days (that's what I got today). After ...

SQL 2005 Great Plains 9 issue
I will try to keep this succinct. I am running Great Plains 9 with SQL 2005 on separate servers. Recently I brought up a new SQL server(called sql02) to replace the old SQL server(called sql01). After installing SQL 2005 on the new server and restoring all the databases I renamed the new server(sql02) to the name of the old Server(sql01). Great Plains worked happily after that. On the new SQL server now called SQL01 there are two database engines in SQL Studio, one is called SQL02 and the other is called SQL01. I would rather not have SQL02 there, but I'm not sure how to delet...

Help with importing data

Formula for cross tab data filling