can't get account to balance

I have tried balancing my checking account in Money2005 Deluxe.  I had been
able to and suddenly in March of this year there was an amount there that I
couldn't, at that time track down.  Usually I'd go to the balance account
section, enter in my ending balance and date, and the amount of difference
was $0, so the account was in balance and it was usually a 30 sec process to
balance the account.

Somehow I checked something as being reconciled that maybe wasn't.  Is there
a way to start that process out from where it was originally??  That is,
when I first started the process?  It seems that even though you postpone
the process or try to back away from it it still remembers what you had
selected as cleared, reconciled, etc.

I'm trying to figure something out other than trying to revert back 4 months
or so, that would be way too much hassle.

Also, just for clarification, the checkmark in the "C" column means that
it's downloaded form the financial institution, and when I click on it
(following my bank statement), it turns into an "E".  This is the expected
result, correct?

appreciate your thoughts;
chris

0
Repent341 (12)
6/6/2005 2:54:22 AM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, Repent34 wrote:

>I have tried balancing my checking account in Money2005 Deluxe.  I had been
>able to and suddenly in March of this year there was an amount there that I
>couldn't, at that time track down.  Usually I'd go to the balance account
>section, enter in my ending balance and date, and the amount of difference
>was $0, so the account was in balance and it was usually a 30 sec process to
>balance the account.
>
>Somehow I checked something as being reconciled that maybe wasn't.  Is there
>a way to start that process out from where it was originally??

Not without doing a restore of a backup.

>  That is,
>when I first started the process?  It seems that even though you postpone
>the process or try to back away from it it still remembers what you had
>selected as cleared, reconciled, etc.
>
>I'm trying to figure something out other than trying to revert back 4 months
>or so, that would be way too much hassle.

Is the balance shown in the register correct?

If so, to declare  an account balanced, you can
mark all entries balanced.  Select to show only unreconciled
transactions.  Sort by date, and go to the oldest transaction.
Hold down Cntl+Shift+M and let auto-repeat work thru the
transactions until none are left showing.  Then balance making the
starting and ending balance match the known balance.  Choose the
balance date to be the day after your last transaction.

Thereafter, follow the normal procedure.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
6/6/2005 3:27:22 AM
Cal;

Thanks for replying.  Not to sound like a total feeb, but how do I know if
the balance shown in the register is correct??
Also, in the "C" column, there are checkmarks.  When I click on the "C"
column the checkmark turns into an "E".  I had thought the "E" mean't that
the transaction was electronically downloaded.  Should it turn into an "E",
or something else??

chris

> In microsoft.public.money, Repent34 wrote:
>
>>I have tried balancing my checking account in Money2005 Deluxe.  I had
>>been
>>able to and suddenly in March of this year there was an amount there that
>>couldn't, at that time track down.  Usually I'd go to the balance account
>>section, enter in my ending balance and date, and the amount of difference
>>was $0, so the account was in balance and it was usually a 30 sec process
>>balance the account.
>>
>>Somehow I checked something as being reconciled that maybe wasn't.  Is
>>there
>>a way to start that process out from where it was originally??
>
> Not without doing a restore of a backup.
>

>>  That is,
>>when I first started the process?  It seems that even though you postpone
>>the process or try to back away from it it still remembers what you had
>>selected as cleared, reconciled, etc.
>>
>>I'm trying to figure something out other than trying to revert back 4
>>months
>>or so, that would be way too much hassle.
>
> Is the balance shown in the register correct?
>
> If so, to declare  an account balanced, you can
> mark all entries balanced.  Select to show only unreconciled
> transactions.  Sort by date, and go to the oldest transaction.
> Hold down Cntl+Shift+M and let auto-repeat work thru the
> transactions until none are left showing.  Then balance making the
> starting and ending balance match the known balance.  Choose the
> balance date to be the day after your last transaction.
>
> Thereafter, follow the normal procedure.

0
Repent341 (12)
6/7/2005 5:05:18 AM
In microsoft.public.money, Repent34 wrote:

>Thanks for replying.  Not to sound like a total feeb, but how do I know if
>the balance shown in the register is correct??

It would require looking at your statement to see if the amounts
agree at a point.

>Also, in the "C" column, there are checkmarks.  When I click on the "C"
>column the checkmark turns into an "E".  I had thought the "E" mean't that
>the transaction was electronically downloaded.  Should it turn into an "E",
>or something else??

When you start balancing with the built-in procedure, the downloaded
transactions that have not been marked as having cleared should show
E. Clicking them changes that into a check mark, meaning that they
are on the statement that you are balancing to. Items that did not
make the statement you are balancing to would stay as E.

So the checkmark would indicate that you are marking the item as
having cleared on the statement.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
6/7/2005 5:23:07 AM
Cal;

Got it fixed, thanks.  Somewhere I got mixed up on what the check mark and
the "E" meant I guess.  I went back into the register when balancing and
applied either a check if it was on the statement or changed it back to an
"E" if not.  Got balanced right away.  Next 2 months took 30 seconds like
they used to before.

thanks again for the info (reminder)

chris

> In microsoft.public.money, Repent34 wrote:
>

>>Thanks for replying.  Not to sound like a total feeb, but how do I know if
>>the balance shown in the register is correct??
>
> It would require looking at your statement to see if the amounts
> agree at a point.
>
>>Also, in the "C" column, there are checkmarks.  When I click on the "C"
>>column the checkmark turns into an "E".  I had thought the "E" mean't that
>>the transaction was electronically downloaded.  Should it turn into an
>>"E",
>>or something else??
>
> When you start balancing with the built-in procedure, the downloaded
> transactions that have not been marked as having cleared should show
> E. Clicking them changes that into a check mark, meaning that they
> are on the statement that you are balancing to. Items that did not
> make the statement you are balancing to would stay as E.
>
> So the checkmark would indicate that you are marking the item as
> having cleared on the statement.

0
Repent341 (12)
6/8/2005 1:59:52 PM
Cal,

also curious if my post received such a quick response from an MVP because I
am a Technet Plus subscriber?  Just want to make sure that my alias is being
recognized when I post in the public forumns??

chris

"Repent34" <Repent34@anon.postalias> wrote in message
>I have tried balancing my checking account in Money2005 Deluxe.  I had been
>able to and suddenly in March of this year there was an amount there that I
>couldn't, at that time track down.  Usually I'd go to the balance account
>section, enter in my ending balance and date, and the amount of difference
>was $0, so the account was in balance and it was usually a 30 sec process
>to balance the account.
>
> Somehow I checked something as being reconciled that maybe wasn't.  Is
> there a way to start that process out from where it was originally??  That
> is, when I first started the process?  It seems that even though you
> postpone the process or try to back away from it it still remembers what
> you had selected as cleared, reconciled, etc.
>
> I'm trying to figure something out other than trying to revert back 4
> months or so, that would be way too much hassle.
>
> Also, just for clarification, the checkmark in the "C" column means that
> it's downloaded form the financial institution, and when I click on it
> (following my bank statement), it turns into an "E".  This is the expected
> result, correct?
>

> appreciate your thoughts;
> chris

0
Repent341 (12)
6/8/2005 3:41:36 PM
In microsoft.public.money, Repent34 wrote:

>also curious if my post received such a quick response from an MVP because I
>am a Technet Plus subscriber?  Just want to make sure that my alias is being
>recognized when I post in the public forumns??

I did not recognize you.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
6/8/2005 4:11:22 PM
guess I'll have to contact the Technet Folks

chris

> In microsoft.public.money, Repent34 wrote:
>

>>also curious if my post received such a quick response from an MVP because
>>am a Technet Plus subscriber?  Just want to make sure that my alias is
>>being
>>recognized when I post in the public forumns??
>
> I did not recognize you.

0
Repent341 (12)
6/8/2005 6:48:59 PM
It won't matter.  MVPs do not give preference to any specific group of
posters.

--

> guess I'll have to contact the Technet Folks
>
> chris
>
> "Cal Learner-- MVP" <via_newsgroup@please.tnx> wrote in message
>> In microsoft.public.money, Repent34 wrote:
>>

>>>also curious if my post received such a quick response from an MVP
>>>because I
>>>am a Technet Plus subscriber?  Just want to make sure that my alias is
>>>being
>>>recognized when I post in the public forumns??
>>
>> I did not recognize you.

0
bollar (385)
6/8/2005 8:57:33 PM
yes they do.  Technet Plus members are guaranteed a response within 24 hours
by an MVP.  This is specifically stated as a TNP membership benefit.

chris

"Richard Bollar" <bollar@bollar.org> wrote in message
> It won't matter.  MVPs do not give preference to any specific group of
> posters.
>
> --
>
> "Repent34" <Repent34@anon.postalias> wrote in message
>> guess I'll have to contact the Technet Folks
>>
>> chris
>>
>> "Cal Learner-- MVP" <via_newsgroup@please.tnx> wrote in message

>>> I did not recognize you.

0
Repent341 (12)
8/21/2005 5:55:13 PM
Since MVPs are volunteers, how can TNP membership guarantee anything about
what they do?

Repent34 wrote:
> yes they do.  Technet Plus members are guaranteed a response within
> 24 hours by an MVP.  This is specifically stated as a TNP membership
> benefit.

0
NoSpam1246 (979)
8/21/2005 6:24:58 PM
Indeed.  The TNP guarantee applies to the managed newsgroups and the
response will be from a Microsoft Support Professional.  This newsgroup
isn't managed, and MVPs, alas, aren't Microsoft Support Professionals.

--

"Chris Cowles" <NoSpam@For.me> wrote in message
> Since MVPs are volunteers, how can TNP membership guarantee anything about
> what they do?
>
> Repent34 wrote:
>> yes they do.  Technet Plus members are guaranteed a response within
>> 24 hours by an MVP.  This is specifically stated as a TNP membership
>> benefit.

0
bollar (385)
8/22/2005 2:28:03 AM

<<When you start balancing with the built-in procedure, the downloaded
transactions that have not been marked as having cleared should show
E. Clicking them changes that into a check mark, meaning that they
are on the statement that you are balancing to. Items that did not
make the statement you are balancing to would stay as E.

So the checkmark would indicate that you are marking the item as
having cleared on the statement.>>

I'm just adding to this thread because since this is the sort of question
that I came with.

In your comments, above, Cal, I think you've hit a nail on the head for me -
BUT - I'm not sure exactly what it is!

When I choose to 'Balance this Account' (I have M04, btw) and my register
comes up, I *already* have checkmarks in the 'C' column.  What I just did was
click on the checkmarks which then turned them into 'E's'.  Well, most of
them.  There were a few that, when clicked on, cleared the 'C' column,
altogether.  At that time, I re-clicked and it went back to a checkmark,
again.

I do manual downloads from my bank, if that makes any difference.

Obviously, my balance is WAY off.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Gwen

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, Repent34 wrote:
>

> >Thanks for replying.  Not to sound like a total feeb, but how do I know if
> >the balance shown in the register is correct??
>
> It would require looking at your statement to see if the amounts
> agree at a point.
>
> >Also, in the "C" column, there are checkmarks.  When I click on the "C"
> >column the checkmark turns into an "E".  I had thought the "E" mean't that
> >the transaction was electronically downloaded.  Should it turn into an "E",
> >or something else??
>
> When you start balancing with the built-in procedure, the downloaded
> transactions that have not been marked as having cleared should show
> E. Clicking them changes that into a check mark, meaning that they
> are on the statement that you are balancing to. Items that did not
> make the statement you are balancing to would stay as E.
>
> So the checkmark would indicate that you are marking the item as
> having cleared on the statement.

0
GwenC (8)

Exporting/Importing Mail Account Settings
I need to rebuild my pc again. I can happily save and restore my pst file, so I dont lose my mail, contacts & calendar, but I lose my mail account settings each time. Is there a way to backup/restore or import/export these settings? Thanks Chris CJM <cjmuk@remove.tesco.net> wrote: > I can happily save and restore my pst file, so I dont lose my mail, > contacts & calendar, but I lose my mail account settings each time. > > Is there a way to backup/restore or import/export these settings? The email account information is stored in the Registry. There is no exp...

Why does Money hide my account numbers?
I am trying to review my credit report and there is one item on there that doesn't look right, and must be at least 6 years old. My credit reporting agency shows me all but the last 4 digits of the account. Money, on the other hand, shows me only the last 4 digits. Worthless. I can understand if some people are paranoid and don't want someone looking over their shoulder at account numbers, but if that is the case, make everything XXXXX on the screen because they can see your balances too! Is anyone really served by this decision the Money team made? Oh well, back to opening each clos...

how can i get bigger letters
i cannot see the letters very well can i enlarge them Yes. Use the Zoom tool (location depends on your version of Word... an essential piece of information you didn't mention in your question). Or, if you have a wheel mouse, Ctrl+Wheel zooms. -- Herb Tyson MS MVP Author of the Word Bible Blog: http://word.herbtyson.com Web: http://www.herbtyson.com "rabburns" <rabburns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6A4DB522-4044-47D2-8FB3-33F18FE3D214@microsoft.com... > i cannot see the letters very well can i enlarge them ...

Help with POP account downloading headers only
Hi hoping that someone can help with this. I have an Outlook/Exchange (2000) client configuration which includes several POP accounts. If the POP accounts are configured to download headers only, what happens to the mail on the POP server? Presumably I can click a header and the rest of the message is downloaded, but what happens to the messages for headers that I never open - do they stay on the POP server for ever? All of the POP accounts are configured to NOT leave mail on the server (or does that option automatically change if I download headers only?). If I delete message ...

Desktop Administrator Accounts
I need to start creating individual accounts for our help desk personnel. I believe I have the AD Delegation working, but how do I control or give these users the ability to logon remotely using RDP and log on deskside with admin rights? Hi tkutil, create an security group called a.e. "Desktop-Admins-RDP" and assign persmissions at clients for RDP logon permissions to this group. You should use GPO to configure these settings on the desktops - see article below. More details around configuration options for RDP can you find here -> Configure Remote Desktop htt...

How do I get a graphy with 2 data sets to have 2 Y axis one for each data set?
How do I get a graphy with 2 data sets to have 2 Y axis one for each data set? On Jul 20, 5:26 am, libertyforall <r...@royhuff.com> wrote: > How do I get a graphy with 2 data sets to have 2 Y axis one for each > data set? Hi libertyforall, have a look at Jon Peltier's beatiful site, especially: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ColumnsOnTwoAxes.html Have fun, cheers Michael ...

"Account setup unavailable"
In Money 2006, I'm trying to add a new credit card account using the online bank "Merrick Bank Cardholder Center". After selecting the bank, the next page is either a browser page saying "page cannot be displayed" or it's a Money page saying online setup is unavailable. I've setup about 5 other banks/accounts just fine. Maybe I entered the login info wrong the first time and it subsequently keeps reading a cache with this bad login. Is there a way to clear this cache if it exists? Or, is there something else going on? I just deleted the account and tried agai...

getting value from a cell into another cell behind a text string
Hi, I'd like to know how to get a value from a cell into another behind a text string by using a formula. For example, A B 1 20 Result (20) Thanks, Xianbo Use formatting Pull-down Format > Cells... > Number > Custom and the the field enter: "Result ("General")" The advantage of using formatting is that the cell can still be used for calculations -- Gary''s Student "Xianbo" wrote: > Hi, > > I'd like to know how to get a value from a cell into another behind a text > string by using a formula. Fo...

How do I get XML in a string loaded into a dataset?
Using VB.net I have a string var (myXMLString) that contains some XML (gotten via a web service that returns xml) I want to load this xml into a dataset (myDataSet). But the myDataSet.ReadXML() method doesn't take a string as one of its overloads. If I write myXMLString to a file, then I can read it into myDataSet, but I want to skip that step. How can I load a string of XML directly into a DataSet? Thanks, Kevin "Kevin Thomas" <SendSpamHere@Spam.com> wrote in message news:ecPiogEJFHA.3484@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > But the myDataSet.ReadXML() method doesn&#...

get rid of empty nodes

Auto Numbering for Contacts and Accounts
We need a way to auto number Contacts, Accounts, and Opportunity (similiar to how quotes, orders, cases, etc..work). Has anyone come across a way to do this through the use of Jscript or any other means? Thanks! You can write a Callout for Autonumbering. Refer to the SDK help for details on Callouts. There's an auto-numbering sample in the SDK too. HTH, Niths "MDV1457" wrote: > We need a way to auto number Contacts, Accounts, and Opportunity (similiar to > how quotes, orders, cases, etc..work). Has anyone come across a way to do > this through the use of Js...

"How does Money Get These Numbers?"
Hi! I know that there's a link to a rather vague answer for the above question in Microsoft Money, when it comes to how Money calculates existing data to crunch trended/budgeted items or spread a trended budget item across the cash forecast graph. The help entry shrugs it off like "Money uses your existing data." Duh. Does anyone have ideas of EXACTLY how Money totals and divides your existing budget items to create a budget entry? Does it add the value up and total by the number of months you've recorded? (My experiments don't line up close enough for me to be sure that...

how do i get to the back page of a postcard on publisher?
I'm new to using publisher and I picked a postcard as my newest project and I can't get to the other side of it...do i have to make a whole other postcard to do the other side? From the menu bar, select Insert, Page. -- Don Vancouver, USA "rach" <rach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F5ADEC20-3C30-4CF4-812D-782E06CDA213@microsoft.com... > I'm new to using publisher and I picked a postcard as my newest project > and I > can't get to the other side of it...do i have to make a whole other > postcard > to do the other side? ...

BAS G20 does not match 'GST on Purchases' Control Account
To assist with reconciling the BAS to GST Control accounts I want to write a Crystal Report that will tell me the GST Detail Code used to generate transaction against my GST Control Accounts (ie GST Collected on Sales, GST Paid on Purchases). What table will I need to link to GL20000 to give me this additional info. I have tried to get this via smartlists but the GST code is not a column in Account Transaction smartlist and the GST Control account code is not a column in the GST Transactions smartlist. Penny There could be a number of reasons for this to not reconcile. Just quickly h...

Incorrect balances #2
Everytime I balance my money account, when I gert the next statement the balance has changed in the program. I am also find items that have been reconciled no longer reconciled. What is happening, it's a nightmare. I am really beginning to hate this program, but I need to get it fixed. It has really messed up my finances. One source of this problem is that M02 had the following nasty habit: a scheduled transaction that was marked reconciled then added to the scheduled bills and deposits from the r-click Add to bills and deposits menu records reconciled when entered into the regis...

The easiest way to get free cash!
<HTML> <HEAD> <META NAME="GENERATOR" Content="Microsoft DHTML Editing Control"> <TITLE></TITLE> </HEAD> <BODY> <P>Hi all,</P> <P>I became a member of an interesting free website that is totally unique. It actually rewards its members for learning! You can learn lots of important things and earn rewards taking fun quizzes, plus earn cash for other activities! Membership is free, and people of all ages and educational backgrounds everywhere can become members and participate at their own level. It�s called �It P...

Getting default Outlook email address
I'm writing a .NET app which will run on a local workstation where Outlook 2003 is installed. I simply want to get the default email address of the current user. I've figured out how to get a MAPI- style address (OU=etc) but all I want is the plain-jane address (me@here.com). Here's how I get the MAPI address: Dim oApp As New Outlook.Application Dim oNS As Outlook.NameSpace = oApp.GetNamespace("MAPI") Dim oRec As Outlook.Recipient = oNS.CurrentUser Dim sMapiAddressHere As String = oRec.Address Any help is greatly appreciated. To get the SMTP address from an Excha...

how to delete account in 'Accounts List'
I have 4 accounts in Accounts List section that I remove, but when I restart Money, they appear again. I've also taken them off my Favorites list but no luck. In microsoft.public.money, core000 wrote: >I have 4 accounts in Accounts List section that I remove, but when I >restart Money, they appear again. I've also taken them off my >Favorites list but no luck. You might want to Close the accounts by right-clicking in the AccountList. Then set the view to not show with SortAccountListBy->HideClosedAccounts. I suspect these are accounts that are/were at the same instit...

Getting straight lines in a best fit trendline of semi log data?
Thanks in advance for any light you can shed. I have been asked to create a graph that looks like this: http://www.jci.org/cgi/content/full/98/2/490/F4 It is a semi-log representation of a time series. I have created a spreadsheet here: http://ccbc.unc.edu/documents/logarithmic_test_graph.xls As you can see, the trendlines are curved. I have serched the archives but I'm missing a basic understanding of what to do. For example, the TREND function just gave me a specific value. If anyone can tell me how to make my clunky graph resemble the spiify published one, you will save both my...

Accounts Payable Checks
When processing a/p checks for a/p transactions and purchase orders for the same vendor, two checks are generated for the same vendor even though we select 'one check per vendor'. Is there a setting somewhere that we may need to change to correct this. Did you put different remit to addresses on different purchasing documents? This could cause a separate check to print for the same vendor. "Rig Equipment" wrote: > When processing a/p checks for a/p transactions and purchase orders for the > same vendor, two checks are generated for the same vendor even though w...

Parent-child account setup
Is there a good way to implement a parent-child account relationship in GP 7.5 ? Our problem: Currently, we have one account number per invoice, with several customers having multiple customer cards in GP - our customers like it this way, since it enables us to bill one invoice per department. However, we are having problems in reporting combined revenue for these kinds of customers. Any ideas ? TIA, Ken You can purchase the National Accounts module. I think it will do exactly what you are looking for. Eleni "ms" wrote: > Is there a good way to implement a parent-child ...

how i get data homogeneity
there is a formula for that i don't know it What is the degree of homogeneity you are trying to acheive? -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200838 "new user" wrote: > there is a formula for that i don't know it See http://tinyurl.com/ccrec5 "new user" wrote: > there is a formula for that i don't know it i have a data and i want know the hohmogeneity for it ; 95 % of the normal distribution near the optimum point of its chart Maybe checking a statistics book to find the methodology is step 1. Then we can help you execute this in Excel best w...

Account # in a liability transaction
I opened up a liability account. I have several bills come in with different account #'s, I'm consolidating all those particular Bills into this one liability account, I would like to track these Bills within the account by the account #, I would normally just put the account # in the slot were the check # would go in Quicken when I used it, and then I could sort that account by the "check number" . In the Money Liability account the "check #" slot is not available. Any suggestions? ...

Incorrect time on Outlook account
Hi On one of my Outlook accounts, whenever I receive a message it shows the time being 6 hrs in front. I contacted my provider and they say their server times are all correct. If it was showing a server default, the timezones we are in means it would show as arriving 6 hrs behind?? It only shows the incorrect time on the inbox page -when I open the message the time is correct?? Another account I have with another provider does not have the same problem so it has to be at their end??? Any help would be appreciated. In news:FD02E331-7F02-43B0-BBA1-ACF2615A6B0F@microsoft.com, snoopdug...

how do i get rid of dots between words in outlook?
There are dots between every word in my Outlook messages. How do I get rid of them? So far, I have searched every term I can in help... to no avail. In Word, it's the Paragraphy feature, but I guess not in Outlook. Please help! (outlook 2003) it's the same in outlook. are you using word or outlook's editor as the email editor? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tip...