Can I have one register from two accounts in M03 and in import question

I have just begun trying-out Money 2003 and am having trouble doing what I
want to do.  I have two accounts, one is a Merrill Lynch money market
account which contains my portfolio and my VISA account and I also write
checks in that account.  The second account is a Credit Union account in
which deposits are made and from which I pay bills.  I would like to have
one register that will contain all deposits and expenditures, including the
VISA charges, from both accounts.  Can I do this and how?

Also, ML only keeps 90 days worth of transactions.  I would like to load the
entire year into Money.  I have all of the data stored in a homemade Foxpro
application.  I can output the data into any format that Money would like.
Where can I find what the format is and can I they import that file into
Money to contain the entire year?

0
elias1 (4)
10/17/2003 8:11:51 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

Answers inline.

"les" <elias@dc.net> wrote in message
> I have just begun trying-out Money 2003 and am having trouble doing what I
> want to do.  I have two accounts, one is a Merrill Lynch money market
> account which contains my portfolio and my VISA account and I also write
> checks in that account.  The second account is a Credit Union account in
> which deposits are made and from which I pay bills.  I would like to have
> one register that will contain all deposits and expenditures, including
the
> VISA charges, from both accounts.  Can I do this and how?

A register typically matches a single account. A Money data file can have
multiple accounts, hence multiple registers. If you had "one register
[containing all transactions] from both accounts" how would you balance it?
Your scenario sounds best to me as one Money data file with four accounts: a
VISA credit card account, a Credit Union Draft account, an Investment cash
account (matches the ML money market account but probably has no end of
complications if you want to download transaction data) and an associated
Investment account for the portfolio save the cash component. This is quite
a normal setup in Money.

I read your term "register" as synonymous with Money data file. I think one
data file with all of the accounts in your life is the best answer, and this
is imminently do-able. Money supports reporting and cash flow managment,
among other things, across multiple accounts. You might want to look at the
sample data file to see how all of this was designed to work.

> Also, ML only keeps 90 days worth of transactions.  I would like to load
the
> entire year into Money.  I have all of the data stored in a homemade
Foxpro
> application.  I can output the data into any format that Money would like.
> Where can I find what the format is and can I they import that file into
> Money to contain the entire year?

Can FoxPro output QIF (Quicken Interchange Format)? I didn't think so.
That's what Money knows how to import.

See http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q8 for info about generating QIF.

<PREACHING>
My final piece of advice I offer to every new user who might listen: Just
Say No to messing with downloaded transaction data for now. Get things
working and learn how to enter your own transactions by hand. Once you get
all of this understood and working, then read about all of the issues that
downloaded transaction data creates for various people in the newsgroup. You
may decide that downloading transaction data is more hassle than it's worth
or, at the least, because you have done it by hand you'll be better prepared
to understand and deal with these issues.
</PREACHING>

In microsoft.public.money, les wrote:

>I have just begun trying-out Money 2003 and am having trouble doing what I
>want to do.  I have two accounts, one is a Merrill Lynch money market
>account which contains my portfolio and my VISA account and I also write
>checks in that account.  The second account is a Credit Union account in
>which deposits are made and from which I pay bills.  I would like to have
>one register that will contain all deposits and expenditures, including the
>VISA charges, from both accounts.  Can I do this and how?

I would not want to even think about that if you mean you want to go
to one account rather than one file.

Instead I would suggest different accounts and use Reports to
display the combined transactions.

>Also, ML only keeps 90 days worth of transactions.  I would like to load the
>entire year into Money.  I have all of the data stored in a homemade Foxpro
>application.  I can output the data into any format that Money would like.
>Where can I find what the format is and can I they import that file into
>Money to contain the entire year?

You have downloaded some data. File->Export that data from both the
Cash Transactions and the Investment Transaction to see a format
that Money will like.

Create a corresponding pair of .qif files with the so far
un-recorded transactions. Name the investment transactions
alphabetically before the cash transactions. Starting the name of
the investment transactions file with an underscore would do it.
File->Import both files ALL AT ONCE with Ctrl+<click>.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
10/17/2003 6:30:01 PM
To add to Dick's PREACHING ;-) think long and hard about a backup strategy.
Do not rely on a single floppy or even a series of floppies. Think about
backing up to hard disk and then burning a CD from the hard disk or copying
to some other removable media. Test the backups regularly as it will always
be the most critical backup that you cant read when you need it most!

--
Regards
Bob Peel,

 Hints/Tips
      http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny
 UK Wishes/Suggestions
      mnyukwsh@microsoft.com

message news:%23uPx2YNlDHA.2328@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>
> Can FoxPro output QIF (Quicken Interchange Format)? I didn't think so.
> That's what Money knows how to import.
>
> See http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q8 for info about generating QIF.
>
> <PREACHING>
> My final piece of advice I offer to every new user who might listen: Just
> Say No to messing with downloaded transaction data for now. Get things
> working and learn how to enter your own transactions by hand. Once you get
> all of this understood and working, then read about all of the issues that
> downloaded transaction data creates for various people in the newsgroup.
You
> may decide that downloading transaction data is more hassle than it's
worth
> or, at the least, because you have done it by hand you'll be better
prepared
> to understand and deal with these issues.

0
Bob_Peel1 (286)
10/17/2003 9:23:59 PM
The tip of the iceberg of the kinds of issues I was preaching about.

Good luck and come on back with questions as you progress.

> However, there is one problem with the CU download and
> that is - Money uses the data in the description field to determine the
> category for the expense.  Unfortunately, the CU uses about the first 30
> characters for CU identification before it gets around to describe the
> transaction.  This makes Money assign categories incorrectly.

Thanks for the tip.  I exported data from Money and looked at the format and
I can easily parse the data in my Foxpro dbf to look exactly like the Money
QIF export.  So it appears as though I will be able to load all of the old
data.
> In microsoft.public.money, les wrote:
>
> >I have just begun trying-out Money 2003 and am having trouble doing what
> >want to do.  I have two accounts, one is a Merrill Lynch money market
> >account which contains my portfolio and my VISA account and I also write
> >checks in that account.  The second account is a Credit Union account in
> >which deposits are made and from which I pay bills.  I would like to have
> >one register that will contain all deposits and expenditures, including
the
> >VISA charges, from both accounts.  Can I do this and how?
> >

> I would not want to even think about that if you mean you want to go
> to one account rather than one file.
>
> Instead I would suggest different accounts and use Reports to
> display the combined transactions.
>

> >Also, ML only keeps 90 days worth of transactions.  I would like to load
the
> >entire year into Money.  I have all of the data stored in a homemade
Foxpro
> >application.  I can output the data into any format that Money would
like.
> >Where can I find what the format is and can I they import that file into
> >Money to contain the entire year?
>
> You have downloaded some data. File->Export that data from both the
> Cash Transactions and the Investment Transaction to see a format
> that Money will like.
>
> Create a corresponding pair of .qif files with the so far
> un-recorded transactions. Name the investment transactions
> alphabetically before the cash transactions. Starting the name of
> the investment transactions file with an underscore would do it.
> File->Import both files ALL AT ONCE with Ctrl+<click>.

0
elias1 (4)
10/18/2003 1:19:30 AM
Thanks for the response.  I guess I don't know the difference between a
file, a register and an account.  I am not interested in "balancing" the
accounts.  I was attracted to the budget feature to track income and
expenses since both income and expenses come from the ML account and the CU
account.  So seeing them in one (account, register, file) is what I would
like to do.  I'll take your advice to gain a better understanding of what
the terms and the activities of Money are by entering data directly, but I
was impressed with the way Money downloaded data and categorized the
downloaded data.  However, there is one problem with the CU download and

message news:#uPx2YNlDHA.2328@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>
> Can FoxPro output QIF (Quicken Interchange Format)? I didn't think so.
> That's what Money knows how to import.
>
> See http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q8 for info about generating QIF.
>
> <PREACHING>
> My final piece of advice I offer to every new user who might listen: Just
> Say No to messing with downloaded transaction data for now. Get things
> working and learn how to enter your own transactions by hand. Once you get
> all of this understood and working, then read about all of the issues that
> downloaded transaction data creates for various people in the newsgroup.
You
> may decide that downloading transaction data is more hassle than it's
worth
> or, at the least, because you have done it by hand you'll be better
prepared
> to understand and deal with these issues.

0
elias1 (4)
10/18/2003 1:54:02 AM
It's in the installation directory for Money, typically c:\program
file\Microsoft Money\

> [...]

> Can FoxPro output QIF (Quicken Interchange Format)? I didn't think so.
> That's what Money knows how to import.
>
> See http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q8 for info about generating QIF.
>
> <PREACHING>
> My final piece of advice I offer to every new user who might listen: Just
> Say No to messing with downloaded transaction data for now. Get things
> working and learn how to enter your own transactions by hand. Once you get
> all of this understood and working, then read about all of the issues that
> downloaded transaction data creates for various people in the newsgroup.
You
> may decide that downloading transaction data is more hassle than it's
worth
> or, at the least, because you have done it by hand you'll be better
prepared
> to understand and deal with these issues.

0
elias1 (4)

Invalid Account on the Security Tab
I deleted an account from AD, and it was listed under the security tab of my server (in ESM), to have full mailbox rights to the information store. I tried removing the inherited permissions, and removing the acct. The I set the inherited permissions back, and the invalid acct. comes back. Does anyone know how I can remove this invalid acct. from the security tab? Thanks. Remove it from the top-level where it was granted permissions. When you set inherited permissions and the account comes back, that means that that account has been granted permissions at a higher level. If you'v...

Question -Problem

RMS V2 and QSC Import
I have successfully imported several of my customers products using the QSC Import tool as a test but am unable to import the items with any association with sales tax? The default Sales Tax is TAX which is what I plan on using but once imported it creates a new item code TAX so now I have two? I plan on importing several hundred products and any help would be much appreciated. -Jess Reference- https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource/products/rms/downloads/releases/rms_so_importutility.htm i use the same tool but i dont tell the import utility anything about tax. import the items witho...

question on os authenticity
I purchased a laptop with Windows 2000 preinstalled from a dealer who claims to be a Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher. There was no COA attached to the body of the computer and he claims that he was not required to because he owns the license to it, not me. Is this correct? -- julesrh77 Good question but not for this community. You need to post your question in a Windows community. But, I think he's wrong and you should call Microsoft directly to ask them. You can find their phone number by going to www.microsoft.com. -- Charles Allen, MVP "julesrh77" wrote: > ...

Document Template question
It's legal for a document to have multiple views into it's data, but when CMultiDocTemplate is created, it is only passed one runtime view class. How are multiple views handled in the document template context? Should all views of your document be derived from the class passed to CMultiDocTemplate? This is confusing me because MDI AppWizard did the work of setting up a document view class for me, but now I'm just using a child window with an imbedded static splitter window to show two different views of my document, and these views have nothing to do with CMyProjectView that...

Pivot Table Question #5

How to import images from Publisher into Picture Manager?
I have images in Publisher that I need to import in to Microsoft office picture manager. How do I do this? Find the source of those images and save them. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Heatherwithaheadache" <Heatherwithaheadache@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B1B1DFC9-0639-49BA-8614-A5AC0DDB596D@microsoft.com... >I have images in Publisher that I need to import in to Microsoft office > picture manager. How do I do this? Right-click the picture, save as picture, or copy/paste to a folder. The Picture Manager will search for al...

Help with importing data

How can I create Schedule Chart?
I have simply an activity list which shows START and FINISH date of related activity. I need to put this information into a Chart, so that i will get a bar chart highligting the line between the START and FINISH date of the activity. It is very similar to what we can create in Microsoft Project. Do you know a specific chart type for this? It's called a Gantt chart: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA010346051033.aspx http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/GanttLinks.html http://www.mrexcel.com/tip058.shtml -- David Biddulph "mezzanine1974" <savas_karaduman@yahoo.com>...

can't open new worksheets in a separate window
I've been trying to open multiple wookbooks in Excel, but they won't open in a new window. Instead they continue to open in the same window - one on top of the other. I've tried playing around with the maximize and restore, but to no avail. I tried right clicking on the Excel button in the taskbar to cascade the windows, but the pop-up menu is inactive. any advice would be greatly appreciated. Running Excel 2003, Windows XP. This might be it: Tools - Options - View tab - Show: Windows in taskbar. Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com "3R's" <3R's@di...

Can validation lists be enlarged
When a validtion list is created can this be enlarged in a spreadsheet which has been reduced to view. Hi for a workaround see: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal08.html#Larger -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "AC" <AC@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:B6A557E7-7B2C-459B-94CE-02606B6CAB3A@microsoft.com... > When a validtion list is created can this be enlarged in a spreadsheet which > has been reduced to view. ...

Remote humans can't get email addressed to them from within the do
I call them remote humans because they are not "users" set up on the SBS2003 system. I've set up a local domain, call it domain.local, and the email domain is domain.org. For all internal users, there is no problem. But there are two people, out of state, with email addresses user1@domain.org and user2@domain.org. Our email is hosted, and we use the POP3 connector to bring it into our Exchange server. We do not use POP3 connector for the remote humans - their Outlook client has the POP3 account set up on it. These remotes will never connect to the local domain, all th...

Bulk Import
Hi All. I have a need to import leads (about 20,000 of them) and then I need to update each lead (with data from an outsourced Telemarketing supplier) every 2 weeks. I will create new attributes every 2 weeks for the lead to match the data coming back from my supplier but would I be able to "update" my existing 20,000 leads and not re-import as I would like to keep the activity history. Any idea how I could do this? Thanks in advance. ...

Automatically copy input from one cell to another
After I enter a value in one cell, how can I have it automatically enter it into another cell, within the same worksheet, or into a different worksheet. Thanks, Tom picktr@wowway.co -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com If you enter the value in A1 of sheet1, put this in the other cell in sheet1: =A1 or in another worksheet: =Sheet1!A1 In article <picktr.15c6uy@excelforum-nospam.com>, picktr <<picktr.15c6uy@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote: > After I enter a value in one cell, how can > I have it automatically enter it into another cell...

can't save files in subfolders using Word
I'm running Word on a Mac running OS X. When I go to save a file in Word, it only gives me the option to save in the root files like "Documents" or "Applications." How do I save the file into a subfolder? On a PC, I would double click to open the folders until I got to the folder I needed. That doesn't work here. Can someone help? I'm sure this is something obvious I'm missing. Thanks - Taylor ...

Remove an account from "Total Account Balance"
I set up an investment account that keeps track of the superannuation that my employer pays to me. I do not want it to reflect in the "Total Account Balance" in the "Account List". How can I set up the account up to stop it effecting my total balance?? Thanks Sonia In a separate file? Beyond that, no. "jaxon7au" <jaxon7au@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D12029BE-F310-445B-8D11-91BE9A914D31@microsoft.com... >I set up an investment account that keeps track of the superannuation that >my > employer pays to me. I do not want ...

Adding Accounts to a Marketing Lists
I am wondering if it's possible to add accounts to a marketing list? It seems like you can only add contacts. What if we are doing a campaign at the account level only? Thank you. -- Katie Click on marketing then marketing lists and click new to create a new list. on the top right you will see a drop down called member type. You can select account, Contact and Lead as the type ======================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm "Katie" <Katie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2DC258BE-98B3-4DD3-B959-...

Question re: OL vs. OE
I have a home based business and would like to keep my personal email separate from my business email. I don't think I can set up different identities in Outlook, so I am wondering if I can use OE for my personal email and Outlook for my business email. Will they conflict in any way? Will the address books be separate or shared? Thank you in advance for help or advice. Leslie wrote: > I have a home based business and would like to keep my > personal email separate from my business email. I don't > think I can set up different identities in Outlook, Of course you c...