Backup using Windows XP CD Burning Wizard

In Backup options, my CD-R/W drive is not displayed for
selection as a backup option so I have been backing up to
the hard drive in the XP default folder "CD Burning"
which then prompts me via the task bar balloon to write
the file to CD.  It works fine, except that after about a
month and a half, I have a backup file less than 5MB in
size on a 700MB disc and Money is telling me the disc is
full.  When I explore the disc properties, it also shows
no space available.  What's going on and how can I keep
from having to use a new disc?
0
anonymous (74722)
2/26/2004 6:42:24 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, Steve wrote:

>In Backup options, my CD-R/W drive is not displayed for
>selection as a backup option so I have been backing up to
>the hard drive in the XP default folder "CD Burning"
>which then prompts me via the task bar balloon to write
>the file to CD.  It works fine, except that after about a
>month and a half, I have a backup file less than 5MB in
>size on a 700MB disc and Money is telling me the disc is
>full.  When I explore the disc properties, it also shows
>no space available.  What's going on and how can I keep
>from having to use a new disc?

5 mb * 45 days is only 245 MB. Perhaps you are burning more than
once per day or you have been putting other things on that disk. If
you are burning without changing the filename, that will replace the
existing drive, but the space is not re-filled. CD-RW but AFAIK can
only erase the whole drive -- not free up little pieces no longer
needed.

If you use unique names for your backup files, you will be able to
access each backup. I suggest that. I also suggest backing up to CDR
less frequently perhaps. (It sounds funny saying that)

I back up to hard drive and copy the backup to the CD burning place
about every three weeks.

In Tools->Options->Backup I suggest checking
 x Automatically backup to hard disk on exit
  x Prompt me before backing up each time*
  x Make my file small ...

Then periodically, perhaps once per month or more, copy your
latest backup (named differently from your earlier backups) to a
CDR. With XP, this can be a copy and paste operation. Otherwise
use the burning software that came with your CDR drive.

I suggest use of a USB Flash drive also.  They typically act like a
big floppy.

*  This has two advantages.  You can change the file name
occasionally.  I like to pick a name something like money040228.
Then it is easy to change the name to have multiple backups.  The
..mbf extension is automatic.  The other advantage is that you can
choose "Don't Back Up, or you change your mind about exiting by
simply clicking the X in the upper right of the pop-up box.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
2/26/2004 7:27:56 PM
I am backing up to the hard drive but also backing up to
CD-RW daily (my nervousness about stability of hard
drives).  I don't intend to save the backup for each day,
just overwrite the file so I'll have one on media.  The
wizard dialog says it will write over files with the same
name, which it appears to be doing since I can only view
one file in Explorer.  It's just that after a time,
somehow the larger part of the CD-RW gets "used up" or
becomes unavailable.

0
anonymous (74722)
2/26/2004 7:43:27 PM
In microsoft.public.money, Steve wrote:

> The wizard dialog says it will write over files with the same
>name, which it appears to be doing since I can only view
>one file in Explorer.

That is one thing I would change. Change the name of the files, and
you can access different vintages of backup.

It would be nice if the CD software could do as Windows does when
you copy and paste something to the same folder: prepend
"Copy of ", "Copy (2) of ", etc to the filename.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)

Using friendly Avatars in Powerpoint simple import
I have read many posts throughout the web regarding using Avatars within learning content and Powerpoint presentations and the benefits that exist using such, and thought this could be an interesting link for your members. www.alteregos.com its a wizard driven software solution that produces video output in either AVI, SWF or Flash video, the content can be instantly imported directly into most compositions tools such as PowerPoint, Camtasia, Microsoft Video Editor etc, giving dramatic flexibility of use. It was initially designed as a generic avatar tool, but its major uptake is...

Missing BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) Windows Upd
Windows Update reports I have 11 Important updates to install. I've tried installing all 11, 7, or just a few of them with no success. Doesn't work over 802.11g nor direct connected to Ethernet. Last successful Update appears to have been in late NOV 2009. Current error is "Windows Update error 80246008". "Fix" is to ensure that BITS and Windows Event Log Service are both set to AutoStart and if stopped, to start both. Windows Event Log was started. BITS was stopped. Set to Autostart Delayed, clicked on START. System responses back with Error ...

SDI with multiple views using the wizard
Hi all, I would like to build a Doc/View SDI Visual C++6 project using multiple views as (CFrameWnd) for the same document. In some documentation is mentioned just MDI support multiple views. Could someone please explain the steps for doing that, using the wizard? Thank you, Chris ...

Windows mail auto deleting
All of a sudden my emails are deleting automatically.Everything it thinks I have read gets deleted. Don't worry. They're not deleted. View | Current View. Check. Show All Messages. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "Mike Givens" <micell@ameritech.net> wrote in message news:660A1B3B-6A68-4833-883B-603BEF8DD03F@microsoft.com... > All of a sudden my emails are deleting automatically.Everything it > thinks I have read gets deleted. How do you know they are being deleted? Are they showing up in the ...

How to change The height of the Split Window in a frame?
Hi: Every one, I make a 2-rows , 1 col CSplitterWnd i n a frame, Now i want to hide one of them, Or change the height of the window to 0, How to do,? Thanks Hi Jerry, Check SetRowInfo() and RecalcLayout() Normand "Jerry" <tghu@163.net> a �crit dans le message de news: eCW9GVIoEHA.644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi: > Every one, > I make a 2-rows , 1 col CSplitterWnd i n a frame, > Now i want to hide one of them, > Or change the height of the window to 0, > How to do,? > Thanks > > > ...

upgrade path from Windows to Mac versions of Office
Is there an upgrade path from Windows to Mac versions of Office? I'm a licensed Word 10/XP user and am planning to switch from Windows to a MAC. Thanks, Kyle Kyle, There is no upgrade path from Windows to Macintosh versions of Office, nor from Macintosh to Windows. The most current version of Office for Macintosh is Office X. If you purchase Office X now, you will be entitled to Office 2004 for free when it is released later this year. This is called the "Technology Guarantee". You can find more information about it at the following web address: Technology Guarantee http://...

Using PERCENTILE with *specific* cells in a column
I am trying to use the PERCENTILE function with specific cells in a column. For example, lets say the column is: A 1 5 2 6 3 7 4 8 Using PERCENTILE on say A1:A3 is easy enough, but I want to do say A1 and A4. I can achieve this by defining a named range such that it would be equal to A1 and A4, but would rather not use named ranges, as the above is a very simplistic example of what I want to do -- using named ranges would require a substantial amount of effort to achieve my end goal. I also realize I could re-order the rows such that I swap A4 with A2, therefore could use perc...

Windows Explorer Columns
Hi, The 'Date Modified' column doesn't appear on any of my folders. I add it, and when i browse away from that folder and return to it, it's disappeared again. How do i get every folder to show that column by default? Thanks, Albert A known Vista annoyance, already solved in Windows7. There're several solutions invlving Registry edit which sets your Template for a specific filetype to what you want, not to MS default - if you Google or Bing for it it should showuo in search results. Sorry I don't have exact URL at hand. it i I know it's f...

Windows Mail; delete selected items
When I select items in a box and try to delete them, I get the message: (Er is een onbekende fout opgetreden) An unknown error occurred. -- Kees Try these options. How to Remove a Stuck Undeletable Message in Windows Mail http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/62560-windows-mail-problems.html WMUtil http://www.oehelp.com/WMUtil/Default.aspx -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "Kees" <Kees@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F1DDCE31-D8A0-46AF-B2C7-09F69CC55A42@microsoft.com... > > When I select it...

Custom Drawn CTreeCtrl disabling windows draw faculties
I have a custom drawn CTreeCtrl and simply put, windows is drawing the text and then my program is drawing over it. This normally would not pose a problem except that windows is also apparently handling selections, which poses a large problem. I need to be able to handle selections. Is it possible to disable the windows drawing faculties and just have it be custom drawn? As far as I can tell the only way to go about doing this would involve doing ALL of the painting for the control...which I'd like to avoid. ...

Windows Mail can't see incoming message
I thought I posted about this about a week ago, but I can't see my message anymore. I am on Vista Home Premium with Windows Mail. There was a particular incoming message, which I could see in my ISP's webmail and I could see on my local machine in MailWasher, but which was completely ignored by Windows Mail - it just didn't see it. That's still happening, but now there are three incoming messages behaving in this way. All are from the same site (user@site) but not all from the same user, and I have no problem with still other users at that site. What shou...

Installing GP on Windows 7
Does anybody have any luck installing Dynamics GP 10 SP 4 on a Windows 7 Professional workstation? When doing the installation of Dynamics GP everything installs except the Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 9.0 I have attempted to download the client from here as well http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=df0ba5aa-b4bd-4705-aa0a-b477ba72a9cb&displaylang=en For what ever reason it will not install properly. Any assistance on this topic would greatly be appreciated. Thanks, Kevin FYI This Workstation is a Dell Vostro 2205 32 bit operating syste...

Problem restoring backup file from money 98 to money 04
Just upgraded to a new computer with Money 2004 --- Have transferred my money back-up file to the new computer --- Everytime I try to open using Money 2004 it begins the process of converting the file and then times out (stops responding) Any ideas??? Extremely frustrating as I don't want to lose 6 years of financial data ---- Thanks How long have you waited? It could take a long time--like tens of minutes. While it is in this state, it will be "not responding." This doesn't mean it's dead, just hat it's busy. "jh227" <anonymous@discussions.micr...

Use the important patch that comes from the Microsoft
--evwrdebjxmg Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="gzajfkxd"; type="multipart/alternative" --gzajfkxd Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="ihjeuwundidfxm" --ihjeuwundidfxm Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to mainta...

Using workflow to "share" a record with a "team"
Hi everyone, We were working on a project where, for one example, when someone creates a lead depending on some conditions the lead needs a "share" added to it for a particular "team". Any ideas? I can only see a way to "assign" the lead to someone. Thanks, Todd ...

outlook7 on Win2000 to OE6 on XP
I was using outlook on Windows 2000. I now have a new, master, HD and am running WinXP (and outlook express) on it. The original HD(2000/outlook) is now the slave HD and I am removing everthing of use from it. This includes my old outlook emails. Is it possible to import from outlook(win2000) on one HD to outlook express(XP) on another? If not, is there a folder where these emails can be found and viewed at their current location? Thanks for any help! Adrian <adrian@bellsouth.net> wrote: > Is it possible to import from outlook(win2000) on one HD > to outlook express(XP) ...

Word 2007 startup slow after installing Windows 7
Why only Word and not Excell and PowerPoint? Do you have a printer installed? -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "Poul Erik" <Poul Erik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8832AE61-8707-439D-9761-D75C9AC6C1BC@microsoft.com... > Why only Word and not Excell and PowerPoint? ...

Internet Explorer (Browser) Crashes when using CRM Menu Bar
Problem: A user clicks on a menu bar item within CRM and Internet Explorer crashes. The user is asked if they wish to send the error report to Microsoft and closes out the current IE window. (Obviously this is very annoying when attempting to click on "Tools" > "Advance Find..."). This behavior appears to happen on the client machines that have been tested. When trying to duplicate this issue, I have found that on the initial start-up of CRM the menu system works fine. However, after navigating around in CRM (e.g. moving from the initial start-up screen to W...

How can you tell "To" address used for spam?
I have a few exchange email addresses on my account. Spam level is to the point that I want to delete the affected account. How can I tell which address is being used? Nick You mean you have multiple addresses for the same mailbox? The easiest way to pin-point the address would be the create multiple mailboxes for these addresses. Emails will get sorted for you automatically. -- Alexander Zammit WinDeveloper Software IMF Tune - Unleash the Full Intelligent Message Filter Power http://www.windeveloper.com/imftune/ "Nick" <nickmirro@spamarrest.com> wrote in message...

Can't open XP file in Windows
We have XP machines and Windows machines. A Publisher file was created in XP and I am unable to open it in Windows. The error message is "You cannot open a file from a different version". I would appreciate any assistance on this issue. Hi gwen (anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || We have XP machines and Windows machines. A Publisher file || was created in XP and I am unable to open it in Windows. || The error message is "You cannot open a file from a || different version". I would appreciate any assistance on || this issu...

formula field: don't display anything when value is zero (using ;"
hello, I read this under the topic "How to get a formula field to total an entire table column, even if some cells in the column contain text or are blank" on the MVP-site and can't get it to work. I'm interested in the final bit, using ;"" Does anyone know how to do this? <start quotation>... Then in the total cell, press Ctrl+F9, and within the field braces {}, insert the following formula: { SUM(Table1 F:F) \# "#,##0.00;- #,##0.00;''" } “Table1” in the formula refers to the name of the bookmark you've marked the ...

After clicking Reply the window opens but Outlook stays on top
When replying to an email Outlook usually opens the window on top of the program so the Outlook window is covered. However, occasionally when I click on Reply it opens a "reply" window underneath the Outlook window. I have to minimize Outlook to access the reply email. This is an intermittent problem. Does anyone know how to fix this? ...

Outlook Express on Win XP
Spelling Checker does not run on message in Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP. Is any one have a patch to fix the problem. Thanks You need either Microsoft Word or Front Page to use Spell Checking. For further information, ask in an Outlook Express forum or http://www.tomsterdam.com - this forum answers questions about Outlook from the Microsoft Office suite, an entirely different program. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer: Mohamed Bahnas <mohamed.bahnas@verizon.net&...

IE and bandwidth use
Does anybody have any knowledge of what bandwidth is used/required when using CRM via IE Thanks Ian this was asked before, check out this old thread: http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&safe=off&threadm=eJJwpM2IEHA.940%40tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26safe%3Doff%26c2coff%3D1%26q%3Dbandwidth%26btnG%3DSearch%26meta%3Dgroup%253Dmicrosoft.public.crm -Gary "Ianp" <ianp@tesl.com> wrote in message news:1729601c448be$891cf920$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Does anybody have any knowledge of w...

how do i setup excel to use separate instances for each file open.
Whenever I open a document in MS Word, it 'acts' like a new program for each file open. This is relevant because I have mulitple monitors and can have two or more active documents and see them side by side. Excel however opens each file into one program and does not allow simultaneous viewing of more than one book/sheet/etc... Is there an option embedded somewhere that will allow this?..or what?... I'm open to suggestions. uhh...I figured it out... Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications "roomi" wrote: > Whenever I open a document in MS Word, it '...