Archiving #5

I'm just wondering about this archiving thing. I have been
using Money since 2000 and I never used the archiving
feature before. I always used one money file for all of
our finances, but from the beginning of this year I
started to maintain 3 separate Money files; one for
household, one for business, and one for investments.
I was thinking of perhaps archiving the old records that
were still mixed together under one file. Although I did
make a backup copy as I always do. Anyhow, I just started
to look at what archiving meant and how to do it.

I remember that once, while browsing through the postings
here someone mentioned that archiving is not such a good
thing after all. However I don't remember the details as I
was only scanning through the postings and that time
archiving was not relevant to me.

So I'm just wondering about the pros and cons of
archiving, and how does it actually work. Basically what
it means is almost like having a fresh new file but it
would have all my beginning balances correct and all my
established categories? But I would not be able to, say,
look at a chart of all grocery spendings for the past 3
years because those transacitons are removed?

Anyhow, so that is the question; the positive and negative
sides of archiving. Please let me know the thoughts and
experiences of you experts out there. Thanks!
0
anonymous (74722)
1/31/2004 11:38:09 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

Positives? Got me swinging.

Negatives? Too many to mention.

You might want to go search the archives (so to speak) of the newsgroup
microsoft.public.money at http://groups.google.com for lots of previous
pontification on the subject.

"akunthita" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm just wondering about this archiving thing. I have been
> using Money since 2000 and I never used the archiving
> feature before. I always used one money file for all of
> our finances, but from the beginning of this year I
> started to maintain 3 separate Money files; one for
> household, one for business, and one for investments.
> I was thinking of perhaps archiving the old records that
> were still mixed together under one file. Although I did
> make a backup copy as I always do. Anyhow, I just started
> to look at what archiving meant and how to do it.
>
> I remember that once, while browsing through the postings
> here someone mentioned that archiving is not such a good
> thing after all. However I don't remember the details as I
> was only scanning through the postings and that time
> archiving was not relevant to me.
>
> So I'm just wondering about the pros and cons of
> archiving, and how does it actually work. Basically what
> it means is almost like having a fresh new file but it
> would have all my beginning balances correct and all my
> established categories? But I would not be able to, say,
> look at a chart of all grocery spendings for the past 3
> years because those transacitons are removed?
>
> Anyhow, so that is the question; the positive and negative
> sides of archiving. Please let me know the thoughts and
> experiences of you experts out there. Thanks!

DON'T DO IT!  About 1 1/2 years ago, I archived 3 years of
account checkbook data.  A few days ago I just LOOKED at
it, and suddently lost all my current checkbook entries
for almost 2 years.  This is after using Money for 6
years.  I have been looking at this board and looking for
answers and can find neither answers or my missing data
(although some helpful person has tried.)  I have to blame
it on archiving.  Now after reading this board, I see so
many buggy things that I will never use Money again.  Back
to Quicken, or pen and paper for me.

0
anonymous (74722)

IMS Attachment problem exch5.5
Hi, I have an Exchange 5.5 (sp4) on NT 4.0 server (sp6a) I notice that there is a problem with attachment: when I send attachment to internal recipients there are no problem. When I send to internet address the attachment is removed. I turn on the tracking and when I track the message I see that in the passage to the SMTP Queue Outbound message size decreased. in the Message Transfer Out the size is correct, (197K), but in the SMTP Queue Outbound I see that the size is 10K. I have non antivirus software, and no particolar configurations. I try to change the smtp outbound Attachments (outbound)...

Exchange 5.5 and Too many connections
Hi all, I am currently trying to get an issue solved with Exchange 5.5 having too many connections open, causing delays. I run Exchange 5.5 and have the ports opened up to accomadate more connections but it still occurs. We have Ihatespam gateway edition routing email. I've tried lowering it's spam threshold to delete more junk rather than just pass it along into special Exchange mailbox folders which I hope will help. I am wondering what others may have done to solve the issue, either a software/hardware solution that uses global black lists to block known open relays or just ...

Exchange 5.5
We are still on Exchange 5.5 SP4. I am trying to configure the IMS properties so that it will accept messages only from one host. I have tried looking in IMS properties -> Connections -> Accept Connections -> Specify by host -> There I have "allow" for the IP address from which I want to accept connections. How do I tell IMS not to accept messages from any other IPs ? At the same time, I have employees on road and remote offices who will submit messages from their SMTP clients after getting authenticated. Can anyone please help me getting this straight ? ~me Me ...

Exchange 5.5 Migration #4
For some time I have been researching our options for migrating to Exchange 2003 from 5.5. The one issues I have yet to resolve is our use of Encrypted Email (e.g. Advanced Security). We currently have Exchange v1 certificates we are using to encrypt some email traffic on our domain. Additionally, we have many users with PST files hosting a significant amount of encrypted email. In my mind, it would be simplest to run something like SecTool to decrypt all of the messages (in bulk) before migration and then start encryption from scratch. This bulk decryption would also solve problem...

attachment handling in exchange 2003 vs. 5.5
One of our systems generates emails using a java-based program. I have no control over this. It attaches a Word document to the email and sends it to our client's server. Recently they switched from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003 and a problem has developed. Under 5.5, the word document was listed as an attachment. Under 2003, the word document appears to be embedded in the body of the email and there is no attachment. More about this later in this email. I believe the problem is caused by the Java program setting the Content-Type to "application/octet-stream". 1) Ca...

Exchange 5.5
Hello, When my users send an email to one individual, internal or external, everything is fine. If they put in more then one address or cc' or bcc' then only the original address receives the email. None of the additional addresses receives any email and no ndr is sent. I can see the additional emails going into the Archive folder in the Exchange program folders. There are no event id's generated when this happens. Has anybody else seen this? Thanks ...

LDAP connection to Exchange 5.5
Hello, I am trying to establish an LDAP connection to my exchange server using LDP.EXE. I can connect to the server on 389, and when I then bind, I get the following: res = ldap_bind_s(ld, NULL, &NtAuthIdentity, 1158); // v.3 {NtAuthIdentity: User='$me'; Pwd= <unavailable>; domain = 'london'.} Authenticated as dn:'$me'. If I then go to Browse, choose search, leave the base DN as blank, set (objectclass=*) as the filter, and set the Scope to Subtree, I would expect to get a list of items returned. Instead, I get this: ***Searching... ldap_search_s(ld, &...

Trying to make a 4 page (8.5 x 11) landscape style book brochure?
It will be sent to a printer. I'm just not sure if there is a template out there or how to go about designing this so it comes out ok. I know the basics as far as designing the look and getting the pages. Just not sure what I need to do so it will come out as a booklet. It would need to be printed out on two 8.5 x 22 (or bigger), cropped, folded and stapled. Any ideas or help? I'm new to this. Take a look at the newsletter templates. Setup your page as a booklet, tabloid (11x17). Publisher will automatically setup the booklet pages in the correct order, each page will be 8.5 ...

Exchange 5.5
Hello, We run Exchange 5.5 still, but not for much longer. However, our priv.edb (Private Information Store), was hovering around 14.8gigs. I know that the IS will crash before it gets to 16gigs because it needs leeway room. So yesterday, we got some users to clean up, roughly 3.2gigs of mailbox data. Users emptying sent items, deleted items etc... So after this was done, we shut down the 5-6 exchange services in control panel, so everything associated with exchange was offline. Then after that, I ran eseutil w/ the following parameters g:\exchsrvr\mdbdata within that directory, I...

Exchange 5.5 services issues
server went down with the power outage here and when i got booted back up all of the exchange srevices no longer worked is there any fix? we have already reinstalled sp4. some of he errors are a service call that is never supposed to fail has failed. I am thinking the only fix is reinstall exchange. Any ideas Thanks pete Please send any ideasto my email What services will not start? Is the System Attendant stopped, as all services depend on this service. Try starting the System Attendant, Directory, Information Store, or whatever service is stopped. What popup error do you receive? ...

adding a domain name to my 6.5 server
We have acquired a second domain name and will be transitioning to the new domain. I have set the mx records for the new domain name. Can someone tell me what I need to do set my users to receive mail from both the old domain and the new domain? Currently, when I send a test message, it states that relaying is not allowed. Thanks in advance, Steve Add the new domain to your default recipient policy (Exchange will not accept mail for a domain unless it is listed in the recipient policy). This will update all users and add the new e-mail domain. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOn...

Exporting and archiving messages from outlook express to another computer
How can I export saved messages from outlook express on one computer to outlook on another computer. The export function doesn't seem to give an option to create a file. Also how can I archive saved messages to a file or CD-R ?? Thanks so much On Fri, 6 May 2005 20:27:03 -0700, "Michael Samsel" <moleman@speakeasy.org> wrote: >How can I export saved messages from outlook express on one computer to >outlook on another computer. The export function doesn't seem to give an >option to create a file. Also how can I archive saved messages to a file or >...

Excel asking for save with no changes #5
Dave Peterson Wrote: > And xl2002 added an option that allows you to have more control: > Edit|links|startup prompt button. > check the "don't display the alert and update links" This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for! Unfortunately, I' running an older version of Excel. I'll have to hit up my IT perso for an update. Thanks! -Tomm -- tommy2 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- tommy20's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=281 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/sh...

Outlook 2003 and exchange 5.5 server
If the Exchange server is setup first(default) in email accounts I get internal email. If internet mail is setup second I get (too many hops) message. If internet mail is first I get outside mail ok, when exchange is second I don't get internal mail. This only seems to be occurring on one XP Pro with office 2003(outlook 2003). I've reloaded and still have problem. What's going on? ...

test post #5
test post Thanks, Japheth I tried to respond to this post using XanaNews (a newsgroup reader), which worked until about 1 week ago. I actually got an email from the newsgroup notifying me that a response was made but it never showed up here. Microsoft, what is going on? Why are posts getting deleted? "JN" wrote: > test post > > Thanks, > Japheth ...

Exchange 5.5 Internet Mail Service Fails
Hi! I have exchange 5.5 and 2003 working in one site. Recently 5.5's internet mail service ceased starting...cannot start it at all. It gives the following log messages: The Microsoft Exchange Internet Mail Service, version 5.5.2657.72, is starting. Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeIMC Event Category: Initialization/Termination Event ID: 4072 Date: 08-Apr-04 Time: 10:15:10 User: N/A Computer: ELLEN Description: The Internet Mail Service administrator account is no longer valid. The Internet Mail Service will not start until you recreate the administrator account or configure...

EFT for Payables #5
I have a client that is currently entering their EFT's manually in GP 9.0 because they merely phone the bank for their EFT's. They want to use SafePay in order to upload checks to Bank of America. The problem at hand - because they are not using the true EFT module I cannot exclude EFT's from the upload file - Bank of America refuses to process the file if it contains anything but "actual" checks. Can you use the EFT for Payables module to process normal EFT's so that AP/GL are affected, but not create the file for transmission to the bank? Thanks in advance,...

Enabling Message Archiving on the Information Store
I want to enable archiving on an Information Store, but when I go to the general tab on the properties box for that store all of the fields are grayed out, and I cannot enable archinving. I have not been able to find any information as to why this ocndition exists. Anyone have any ideas? Is there an Exchange Mailbox Store System Policy applied to the store? That would make all the fields unavailable. -- Jim McBee Blog: http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com Stuff: http://geekbargains.blogspot.com Web: http://www.somorita.com "rpflueger" <rpflueger@discussions.micros...

5.5 to 2003 Move mailbox problem.
I am migrating from exchange 5.5 to 2003 and have just installed my first 2003 server into my 5.5 site, all went ok without any problems. When I move a mailbox from my 5.5 server, it transferes ok but I can not access the account after it has moved. I get event ID 1022 in my 2003 server event viewer. When I move the account back to my 5.5 server it works ok again. Thanks in advance Lee. Have you seen this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326018/en-us Nue "Lee" <Lee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EBDC6BE9-8641-4C01-8C4A-8AB259B17BED@microsoft.com......

Outlook 2003 Freezing #5
Any Idea ? thanks See the answer to one of your posts in another newsgroup. Do NOT multipost! -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Properly back-up and restore your Outlook data -Creating a Permanent New Mail Desktop Alert in Outlook 2003 ----- "Guillaume" <gguinaude@gmail.com> wrote in message news:ecgz5y%23QFHA.164@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Any Idea ? thanks > > ...

Exchange 5.5 --> Exchange 2003
Hi I was called to a migration from Exchange 5.5 SP4 to Exchange 2003 SP2. E2k3 has been installed into the Ex55 Organization. There were several problems to replicate public folders. The verifying process in Step 4 from the ADC Tools always gives the following warnings: Pass 1 of 2: Active Directory Connector Object Replication Check validation (objects processed: 188) Warning: The Exchange 5.5 directory still contains objects that are not replicated to Active Directory. If you have just run Connection Agreement Wizard, allow time for directory replication to complete, and then rerun the...

Exchange 5.5
Hi, I have a multisite exchange 5.5 Installation. I recently got event ID 1091 and error 2147942414 on 2 servers, and fortunately found this KB article Q271744 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/271744/en-us) I follow up the resolution steps that works well for one server but fails for the other when reaching step 8: I receive error dialog box stating that the mapi call failed. Thi error appear only for inbox and not for outbox, sent item, and deleted items. This confirm that this was not access right error. According to Administrator program, private store, mailbox ressources, the DS ...

Migration from 5.5 to 2003 #3
Hi all, I have the following scenario: Forest 1 with domainA Exchange 5.5 with trust relation Forest2 with domainB Exchange 2003 SP2 I would like to migrate mailboxes from Exchange 5.5 to my new organization in 2003. 5.5 is not connected with active Directory. I use Migration Wizard to move mailboxes. I have already made this scenario in my LAB and it works fine. I only use exchange 5.5 to validate again when I open my outlook. In production enviroment when i try to authentificate to my Exchange 5.5 I am unable to connect. Any help would ve very apreciated!! Thanks!! Edge On Fri, 15 Dec...

All 5 DCs in W2K8 R2 forest/domain failed test VerifyReferences
Hello, We just built a new W2K8 R2 single domain forest right out of the box being at W2K8 R2 forest/domain level from the get go which I thought means the SYSVOL will use DFRS, not FRS to replicate. All 5 of our DCs fail this DCDiag test: dcdiag /e /test:verifyreferences Testing server: SiteA\PrimaryServerOne Starting test: VerifyReferences Some objects relating to the DC PRIMARYSERVERONE have problems: [1] Problem: Missing Expected Value Base Object: CN=PRIMARYSERVERONE,OU=Main,OU=Domain Controllers,DC=BIGOrganization,DC=ds ...

Exchange 5.5 migration from NT4 to W2K domain
Hello, in desperate need of some help. We are just about to finish our migration from a NT4 to a Windows 2000 domain. I have only one more server to do and its an Exchange 5.5 server running Windows 2000. I can find no information about migrating this server to a new domain. Can anyone please help. Thanks, Desparate On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:01:07 -0700, "Mr B" <Mr B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello, >in desperate need of some help. >We are just about to finish our migration from a NT4 to a Windows 2000 >domain. I have only one more server to do and its an...