2007: how is the performance?

Is it faster?  Does the process close down properly every time?

thanks!

adam 


0
someone913 (592)
7/21/2006 12:13:12 AM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

28 Replies
1207 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 17

In microsoft.public.money, msnews.microsoft.com wrote:

>Is it faster?

For most things, I am not sure. However my files were not slow.

>  Does the process close down properly every time?

That speeded up for me. msmoney.exe shows as closed much quicker in
Task Manager, vs 5 seconds or so in 2006. Now how it will do for
somebody who had a really long closing cycle, I don't know.


>
>thanks!
>
>adam 
>
0
via_newsgroup (13114)
7/21/2006 12:59:29 AM
I may get to that after dinner. Just got home. So many twelve hour days, so 
little time.

"Cal Learner-- MVP" <via_newsgroup@please.tnx> wrote in message 
news:0j90c25v0s1uqtvr0fa790hu2amikur2kl@4ax.com...
> Now how it will do for
> somebody who had a really long closing cycle, I don't know. 


0
7/21/2006 1:41:27 AM
In microsoft.public.money, Dick Watson wrote:

>I may get to that after dinner. Just got home. So many twelve hour days, so 
>little time.

If you get to that, you might also try the
File->Repair->RemoveBillsData on a slow copy of your file. Of course
getting rid of bills would hinder your usage, but it could be an
interesting experiment.


>
>"Cal Learner-- MVP" <via_newsgroup@please.tnx> wrote in message 
>news:0j90c25v0s1uqtvr0fa790hu2amikur2kl@4ax.com...
>> Now how it will do for
>> somebody who had a really long closing cycle, I don't know. 
>
0
via_newsgroup (13114)
7/21/2006 2:10:24 AM
Agreed on both counts. More on the first count.

As I type, M07 is copying from the key to the Big Disk In The Sky...

"Cal Learner-- MVP" <via_newsgroup@please.tnx> wrote in message 
news:9od0c2pcclnp5i0gffbs5pj5o4hlmbqg3t@4ax.com...
> Of course
> getting rid of bills would hinder your usage, but it could be an
> interesting experiment. 


0
7/21/2006 2:30:23 AM
The experiment is underway.

Other M07 comments:

Performance doesn't seem much different than M06. I should view that as a 
good thing compared to the possibility that it got worse. I don't.

It still runs on after "exit". It no longer whines about Money is already 
running. It just ignores the attempt to open the file.  I suppose that's one 
way of dealing with the complaints about the message.

My data file got smaller. That's never happened before.

It's tough to find anything that has changed much at all. I saw some things 
that looked different--the fonts on Tools|Settings, the last balanced on 
date on the register views--but nothing of any consequence. I haven't yet 
tested to see if I can schedule classification of a loan payment, but my 
hopes aren't high.

The new toy budget may or may not be a good thing--I just went to see the 
thing, not to actually try to use it. Certainly the notion that one simple 
maxim like "spend 60% of gross" is a universal budgeting solution seems 
simian at best and just silly at worst. (What if I want so spend only 40%? 
What if I'm at 70% and surviving fine? What if I just want to set targets 
and track performance to them like people have been doing with budgets for 
eons now?) So some MSN editor invented this thing? So what? If an MSN editor 
invented one and one tenth entry accounting, would that make it good? The 
good news is that if you have an existing Advanced Budget, you can keep 
using Advanced Budget. The bad news appears to be that a new file only gets 
the 60% toy. They're probably really proud of this. Seems like a step in the 
direction of cookie jar and piggy back accounting to me. Surely we should 
all think that heading toward removal of a complex, if problematic, feature 
in favor of some goofy toy is not a good sign for the future.

Fifteen minutes later, it's still removing bills. For now, I'm running out 
of other things to say about M07. I did note that it suggested using the 
scheduled bill report to have a prayer of recovering from removing bills (if 
you have performance problems or your budget is hosed up--why can't they 
just fox whatever data there is that mungs it up?). That's problematic 
advice. Unless they've radically improved that report, there's lots of info 
that just doesn't come out in it like number remaining, method, approximate 
value, paycheck tab info, and edited occurrences, etc.

Five more minutes and still it removes bills. I'm going to bed...

"Cal Learner-- MVP" <via_newsgroup@please.tnx> wrote in message 
news:9od0c2pcclnp5i0gffbs5pj5o4hlmbqg3t@4ax.com...
> If you get to that, you might also try the
> File->Repair->RemoveBillsData on a slow copy of your file. Of course
> getting rid of bills would hinder your usage, but it could be an
> interesting experiment. 


0
7/21/2006 4:47:41 AM
In microsoft.public.money, Dick Watson wrote:

>
>The new toy budget may or may not be a good thing--I just went to see the 
>thing, not to actually try to use it. Certainly the notion that one simple 
>maxim like "spend 60% of gross" is a universal budgeting solution seems 
>simian at best and just silly at worst. (What if I want so spend only 40%? 

I don't want to try to grok a budget. There is a help video where
they move away from the 60/40 ratio as an example. I thought it
quirky that car expenses became an irregular expense by virtue of
not being monthly.

>What if I'm at 70% and surviving fine? What if I just want to set targets 
>and track performance to them like people have been doing with budgets for 
>eons now?) So some MSN editor invented this thing? So what? If an MSN editor 
>invented one and one tenth entry accounting, would that make it good? The 
>good news is that if you have an existing Advanced Budget, you can keep 
>using Advanced Budget. The bad news appears to be that a new file only gets 
>the 60% toy.

There is also an "essential budget".

> They're probably really proud of this. Seems like a step in the 
>direction of cookie jar and piggy back accounting to me. Surely we should 
>all think that heading toward removal of a complex, if problematic, feature 
>in favor of some goofy toy is not a good sign for the future.

I have not worked it thru at all, but the expenses and spending
budget seems to make more sense than the "essential budget". However
I have a problem thinking that any monthly budget that does not
carry over unspent funds does not match what I would hypothetically
want a budget to do. For some a budget should set targets to hit.
For me I would expect it to set targets to not exceed, but to carry
forward unspent money in a category. The concept that you spend it
or lose it sounds like a government method.
0
via_newsgroup (13114)
7/21/2006 5:14:35 AM
> Is it faster?  Does the process close down properly every time?

On my system (3.06GHz P4, 2GB RAM), Money 2006 uses 37 seconds of CPU 
time just starting up (according to the task manager).  Money 2007 
running in a VMware session opening the same data file takes exactly the 
  same amount of CPU time.

Just judging from that I'd say there is no performance boost in 2007.

-Rod
0
dont9473 (36)
7/21/2006 7:27:25 AM
Rod wrote:
>> Is it faster?  Does the process close down properly every time?
> 
> On my system (3.06GHz P4, 2GB RAM), Money 2006 uses 37 seconds of CPU 
> time just starting up (according to the task manager).  Money 2007 
> running in a VMware session opening the same data file takes exactly the 
> same amount of CPU time.

Wow, I just tried the "remove all bills data" from the repair menu and 
now Money only takes 5 seconds of CPU time to fully load.

I wonder what will happen after I add the bills back in there...?

-Rod
0
dont9473 (36)
7/21/2006 7:36:39 AM
Let me jump on another tail of this thread with part of my continuing M07 
saga.

After my experiment, from the other branch of the thread, finally got done, 
I observe the same thing. Just incredible performance gains. Is it FAST? No. 
Is it way faster than it was? Yes. But I don't really know what to infer 
from this.

I really can't say if the gain is across the whole app--though it looks 
promising. The data is now so munged that I really can't use this file in 
parallel testing with my M04 production machine/production data. I use the 
feature heavily. I can't even get past today without having scheduled bills 
to deal with.

Do I infer that I just shouldn't use the scheduled bills feature? Since I 
manage to forecast cash flow, this seems pretty untenable to me.

Do I go spend a day or so recreating all of the bills hoping to find out 
that it's still faster--thus concluding that I've eliminated some 
"corruption" or something? (And if this is the case, I ask again: why can't 
the app just fix this stuff by itself?) And if I put all this back in and 
it's dog slow again, then what? The case above?

The effort it will take to recreate the bill is A LOT. I have 101 of them. 
They total 335 split elements. 65 of these are classified. 184 of these have 
memos associated.

I now have four M files will full (or almost full) sets of data. These seem 
the only ones worth doing anything with. I have my M04 production 
machine/production data file. The test machine has the M06 upgraded to M07 
file that is what's left of my year long M06 extended dual entry trial. I 
trust this one **almost** as much as the real file. The test machine also 
has the M06 with bills removed file. As noted, this is like a car with 9/10s 
of the body cut away to make it faster. Yes it's faster, but so what? It's 
useless. But it took almost half an hour to get it there. I also have a copy 
of the production file newly upgraded straight from M04 to M07. (More about 
that elsewhere.) How do I get on with life? Try to maintain all four till I 
figure out what really works best in M07? How do I do that with no bills in 
one of them?

"Rod" <dont@email.me> wrote in message 
news:OL3fohJrGHA.3412@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Wow, I just tried the "remove all bills data" from the repair menu and now 
> Money only takes 5 seconds of CPU time to fully load.
>
> I wonder what will happen after I add the bills back in there...? 


0
7/21/2006 11:55:54 AM
> Do I go spend a day or so recreating all of the bills hoping to find out 
> that it's still faster--thus concluding that I've eliminated some 
> "corruption" or something? (And if this is the case, I ask again: why can't 
> the app just fix this stuff by itself?) And if I put all this back in and 
> it's dog slow again, then what? The case above?

I'm in the same boat as you..  I am not sure if I want to go through the 
effort of recreating all my bills just for this experiment.  And I'm 
wondering if it will only affect load time anyway.  Besides initial load 
time, it is hard for me to gauge actual performance of the application 
during normal use since I am running 2007 it inside a VMware session.

What is your experience?  Is Money snappier during normal use with all 
the bill data cleared out?  I can live with Money taking 35+ seconds to 
initialize.  But I may go through the effort of recreating all the bills 
if performance improves throughout the application.

Now I'm off to test what happens when I manually remove all the bills 
from Money 2006...

-Rod
0
dont9473 (36)
7/21/2006 2:36:01 PM
> Now I'm off to test what happens when I manually remove all the bills 
> from Money 2006...

I deleted all my bills and Money 2006 initialization time did not 
improve at all.  This might be a good sign...  it may mean that 2007's 
"clear bills" feature does a bit more than simply clearing out your 
bills.  Maybe it clears out other cruft as well that kills performance.

Later today I will try to add the bills back in there and see what 
happens to performance.  Hopefully it will stay fast.  In that case I 
may actually purchase the 2007 upgrade.

-Rod
0
dont9473 (36)
7/21/2006 2:45:45 PM
comments inline.

"Rod" <dont@email.me> wrote in message
news:uzEy%23LNrGHA.4444@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> What is your experience?  Is Money snappier during normal use with all
> the bill data cleared out?

In the little amount I've done, it does seem overall faster. But without the
bills, there's very little worth doing and I haven't spent more than a few
minutes with the file that's in this state.

> I can live with Money taking 35+ seconds to
> initialize.  But I may go through the effort of recreating all the bills
> if performance improves throughout the application.
>
> Now I'm off to test what happens when I manually remove all the bills
> from Money 2006...

I noted your negative outcome on that test. I'll eagerly await a report
about what happens if/when you put the bills back in.

Like you, success with that case would probably sell me a copy of M07. But I
only want to do that ONCE, so I have to work out a strategy first. (Catch up
with the week's backlog of entry, then re-upgrade the "best" M04 file, then
undo all of the upgrade mangling, then re-do the nuke-the-bills "repair",
then repair the damage that does--maybe it'll rain all weekend and I'll have
nothing better to do, AND THEN do some more dual trial work?)


0
7/21/2006 3:10:28 PM
In microsoft.public.money, Rod wrote:

>> Now I'm off to test what happens when I manually remove all the bills 
>> from Money 2006...
>
>I deleted all my bills and Money 2006 initialization time did not 
>improve at all.  This might be a good sign...  it may mean that 2007's 
>"clear bills" feature does a bit more than simply clearing out your 
>bills.  Maybe it clears out other cruft as well that kills performance.
>
>Later today I will try to add the bills back in there and see what 
>happens to performance.  Hopefully it will stay fast.  In that case I 
>may actually purchase the 2007 upgrade.

You might try going to your register and selecting a representative
instance of your past bill and selecting "Make Recurring" (Ctrl+E).

This could simplify re-entering your bills after running the
File->Repair->RemoveBillsData.
 
0
via_newsgroup (13114)
7/21/2006 4:40:59 PM
In microsoft.public.money, Dick Watson wrote:

>
>The effort it will take to recreate the bill is A LOT. I have 101 of them. 
>They total 335 split elements. 65 of these are classified. 184 of these have 
>memos associated.


You might try going to your register and selecting a representative
instance of your past bill and selecting "Make Recurring" (Ctrl+E).

This could simplify re-entering your bills after running the
File->Repair->RemoveBillsData -- especially for those with splits.
 
0
via_newsgroup (13114)
7/21/2006 4:41:48 PM
I'm seeing a significant reduction in the size of datafiles (~30%); I don't 
know if it will persist.

-- 
Michael Gordon
MVP


"Dick Watson" <littlegreengecko@mind-enufalready-spring.com> wrote in 
message news:uFyLNDIrGHA.4356@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> The experiment is underway.
>
> Other M07 comments:
>
> Performance doesn't seem much different than M06. I should view that as a 
> good thing compared to the possibility that it got worse. I don't.
>
> It still runs on after "exit". It no longer whines about Money is already 
> running. It just ignores the attempt to open the file.  I suppose that's 
> one way of dealing with the complaints about the message.
>
> My data file got smaller. That's never happened before.
>
> It's tough to find anything that has changed much at all. I saw some 
> things that looked different--the fonts on Tools|Settings, the last 
> balanced on date on the register views--but nothing of any consequence. I 
> haven't yet tested to see if I can schedule classification of a loan 
> payment, but my hopes aren't high.
>
> The new toy budget may or may not be a good thing--I just went to see the 
> thing, not to actually try to use it. Certainly the notion that one simple 
> maxim like "spend 60% of gross" is a universal budgeting solution seems 
> simian at best and just silly at worst. (What if I want so spend only 40%? 
> What if I'm at 70% and surviving fine? What if I just want to set targets 
> and track performance to them like people have been doing with budgets for 
> eons now?) So some MSN editor invented this thing? So what? If an MSN 
> editor invented one and one tenth entry accounting, would that make it 
> good? The good news is that if you have an existing Advanced Budget, you 
> can keep using Advanced Budget. The bad news appears to be that a new file 
> only gets the 60% toy. They're probably really proud of this. Seems like a 
> step in the direction of cookie jar and piggy back accounting to me. 
> Surely we should all think that heading toward removal of a complex, if 
> problematic, feature in favor of some goofy toy is not a good sign for the 
> future.
>
> Fifteen minutes later, it's still removing bills. For now, I'm running out 
> of other things to say about M07. I did note that it suggested using the 
> scheduled bill report to have a prayer of recovering from removing bills 
> (if you have performance problems or your budget is hosed up--why can't 
> they just fox whatever data there is that mungs it up?). That's 
> problematic advice. Unless they've radically improved that report, there's 
> lots of info that just doesn't come out in it like number remaining, 
> method, approximate value, paycheck tab info, and edited occurrences, etc.
>
> Five more minutes and still it removes bills. I'm going to bed...
>
> "Cal Learner-- MVP" <via_newsgroup@please.tnx> wrote in message 
> news:9od0c2pcclnp5i0gffbs5pj5o4hlmbqg3t@4ax.com...
>> If you get to that, you might also try the
>> File->Repair->RemoveBillsData on a slow copy of your file. Of course
>> getting rid of bills would hinder your usage, but it could be an
>> interesting experiment.
>
> 


0
gordonm (1013)
7/21/2006 5:30:28 PM
Several to many of my scheduled items have no representative instance in the
registers. Paychecks, for instances, are setup with splits to cover a
superset of all of the things that show up over the year. Many weeks I
delete some lines that are zero in the scheduled item but kept in the
scheduled item to "remember" the categorization/tab treatment for such a
thing. I also have transactions that are in the scheduled items just for
cashflow projection purposes but are never entered in registers. These
include things like fake paychecks setup for a limited number and special
starting dates to wedge in the category adjustments for the last several
weeks of the year when I hope to go over the FICA cap. These types of
scheduled items are one of the ways I get good cashflow projection and get
good tax estimator results.

For people following the thread, one workaround to this case is to Enter the
"template" transaction in to the register, blow away the bills, go find all
of the template transactions in the registers, r-click add them back to
bills, then delete the temporarily stored transaction.

It's still a lot of work and some stuff will still get lost and need
re-creation by hand.

"Cal Learner-- MVP" <via_newsgroup@please.tnx> wrote in message
news:ht02c29cn4jc5kdm5jiv0t0kjqp25310qu@4ax.com...
> In microsoft.public.money, Dick Watson wrote:
>
> >
> >The effort it will take to recreate the bill is A LOT. I have 101 of
them.
> >They total 335 split elements. 65 of these are classified. 184 of these
have
> >memos associated.
>
>
> You might try going to your register and selecting a representative
> instance of your past bill and selecting "Make Recurring" (Ctrl+E).
>
> This could simplify re-entering your bills after running the
> File->Repair->RemoveBillsData -- especially for those with splits.
>


0
7/21/2006 5:54:20 PM
In microsoft.public.money, Dick Watson wrote:

>
>For people following the thread, one workaround to this case is to Enter the
>"template" transaction in to the register, blow away the bills, go find all
>of the template transactions in the registers, r-click add them back to
>bills, then delete the temporarily stored transaction.

Sorting the register(s) by order of entry could facilitate that a
tad.

>
>It's still a lot of work and some stuff will still get lost and need
>re-creation by hand.
0
via_newsgroup (13114)
7/21/2006 6:09:24 PM
I saw a reduction but of the 5% range. More testing to do re. this 
nuke-the-bills thing.

"Michael Gordon, MVP" <gordonm@denison.edu> wrote in message 
news:Oa7%23dtOrGHA.5012@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> I'm seeing a significant reduction in the size of datafiles (~30%); I 
> don't know if it will persist. 


0
7/21/2006 8:55:19 PM
I am not quite following this Bill deletion/removal thread.   If you remove 
your Bill data ( I assume past Bill data) doesn't that cause issues with 
your past data for those Bill's?

Thanks


"Cal Learner-- MVP" <via_newsgroup@please.tnx> wrote in message 
news:f062c2hfbv18a51se3ve900tpm3f0631op@4ax.com...
> In microsoft.public.money, Dick Watson wrote:
>
>>
>>For people following the thread, one workaround to this case is to Enter 
>>the
>>"template" transaction in to the register, blow away the bills, go find 
>>all
>>of the template transactions in the registers, r-click add them back to
>>bills, then delete the temporarily stored transaction.
>
> Sorting the register(s) by order of entry could facilitate that a
> tad.
>
>>
>>It's still a lot of work and some stuff will still get lost and need
>>re-creation by hand. 



----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
0
justme1 (39)
7/21/2006 9:04:57 PM
Well, it probably means that the show bill paid mapping from prior 
transaction entries to the scheduled item that entered it would be lost. (At 
least I think they track this association somehow.) Since I rarely use that, 
it's not a big factor in my equation of cost/benefit for going through this 
compared to the marked increase in performance I saw after flushing them. 
The BIG Q is if performance will stay so much better after I work my way 
through re-entering 100+ of them.

"Andrew" <justme@nowhere.com> wrote in message 
news:1153515347_79347@sp6iad.superfeed.net...
>I am not quite following this Bill deletion/removal thread.   If you remove 
>your Bill data ( I assume past Bill data) doesn't that cause issues with 
>your past data for those Bill's?


0
7/21/2006 10:07:10 PM
BTW, it's not past bill data--in the sense of transactions entered in 
registers--that you are deleting. The transactions in the account registers 
remain just fine. It's the scheduled "bills & deposits" "bills summary" 
"advanced bills" for future entry you are deleting. I think (prior msg) that 
nuking these nukes an association between these and the entries they spawned 
in the register, but have not proven this.

"Andrew" <justme@nowhere.com> wrote in message 
news:1153515347_79347@sp6iad.superfeed.net...
>I am not quite following this Bill deletion/removal thread.   If you remove 
>your Bill data ( I assume past Bill data) doesn't that cause issues with 
>your past data for those Bill's? 


0
7/21/2006 10:12:14 PM
The reduction is before the bills-be-gone thing; that's next for me, but I 
expect to see an improvement in performance even if I don't see one in 
datasize. My understanding is that it does more than remove bills: it should 
get rid of junk that can't be easily removed anyway. It should improve 
stability and -- as well -- improve performance for a lot of activities 
(such as reports) which accessed the bills list.

-- 
Michael Gordon
MVP


"Dick Watson" <littlegreengecko@mind-enufalready-spring.com> wrote in 
message news:%236$c7fQrGHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>I saw a reduction but of the 5% range. More testing to do re. this 
>nuke-the-bills thing.
>
> "Michael Gordon, MVP" <gordonm@denison.edu> wrote in message 
> news:Oa7%23dtOrGHA.5012@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> I'm seeing a significant reduction in the size of datafiles (~30%); I 
>> don't know if it will persist.
>
> 


0
gordonm (1013)
7/21/2006 11:55:05 PM
> I wonder what will happen after I add the bills back in there...?

I added the bills back in there (about 20 of them) and startup 
performance remained excellent.  It only went up from 5 seconds to about 
7 seconds.  Definitely better than the 35+ seconds I generally have to 
wait in order to use Money.

When adding the bills it prompted me if I wanted to add them to the 
budget.. I said 'no' since I don't use the budget feature.  Not sure if 
saying 'yes' would affect performance or not.

Looks like I may upgrade to 2007 after all.

-Rod
0
dont9473 (36)
7/22/2006 12:01:25 AM
Michael Gordon, MVP wrote:
> I'm seeing a significant reduction in the size of datafiles (~30%); I don't 
> know if it will persist.

My file shrunk about 12%.

-Rod
0
dont9473 (36)
7/22/2006 12:02:15 AM
The % seems to be dependent on size: 30 went to 20, and 150 went to 125

-- 
Michael Gordon
MVP


"Rod" <dont@email.me> wrote in message 
news:eJlTYISrGHA.4016@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Michael Gordon, MVP wrote:
>> I'm seeing a significant reduction in the size of datafiles (~30%); I 
>> don't know if it will persist.
>
> My file shrunk about 12%.
>
> -Rod 


0
gordonm (1013)
7/22/2006 12:07:09 AM
> When adding the bills it prompted me if I wanted to add them to the 
> budget.. I said 'no' since I don't use the budget feature.  Not sure if 
> saying 'yes' would affect performance or not.

FYI... I went in and re-edited each bill and clicked ok, this time 
saying 'yes' to add it to the budget.  This made no difference in 
Money's startup time.

-Rod
0
dont9473 (36)
7/22/2006 12:10:24 AM
Why did you have to add the bills back in?  If you had the bills in the 
prior version, it should have been included in the 07 version upon 
conversion.

-- 

Neil


"Rod" <dont@email.me> wrote in message 
news:e4Ao6HSrGHA.4016@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>
>> I wonder what will happen after I add the bills back in there...?
>
> I added the bills back in there (about 20 of them) and startup performance 
> remained excellent.  It only went up from 5 seconds to about 7 seconds. 
> Definitely better than the 35+ seconds I generally have to wait in order 
> to use Money.
>
> When adding the bills it prompted me if I wanted to add them to the 
> budget.. I said 'no' since I don't use the budget feature.  Not sure if 
> saying 'yes' would affect performance or not.
>
> Looks like I may upgrade to 2007 after all.
>
> -Rod 


0
7/22/2006 2:10:40 PM
Read more. Post less.

"Remove ABCD from Email address to reply" <neil154ABCD@earthlink.net> wrote 
in message news:Alqwg.8265$vO.2190@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> Why did you have to add the bills back in?  If you had the bills in the 
> prior version, it should have been included in the 07 version upon 
> conversion. 


0
7/22/2006 3:00:12 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Defect in Creating Appointments in Outlook 2007
I thought this used to work in Outlook 2003, so it seems to be broken in Outlook 2007. If I want to create an appointment that spans some length of time, I thought I could click/drag to select that time in a day, then right click and make the appointment. In OL2007 when I do this, the selection resets and I have to reenter the timespan in the appointment dialog. Anybody else seen this - is it by design, or is this a bug? Is there an official mechanism for filing bug reports? Thanks, -Chris you remember correctly and it's broken. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yoursel...

Sending email from multiple users from Outlook 2007 Vista
We have 2 email accounts and can receive them to each account but CANNOT send from each account. All messages from both users go out under one user's name. Is there a fix for this? Help!! How is Outlook 2007 accessing the e-mail accounts? Is it connected to an Exchange server, POP3, IMAPv4, etc... <chip@kingwoodcable.net> wrote in message news:1185485984.108736.258740@l70g2000hse.googlegroups.com... > We have 2 email accounts and can receive them to each account but > CANNOT send from each account. All messages from both users go out > under one user's n...

Can no longer open money 2007
When attempting to open money 2007 deluxe, i receive a message box that says "Money was unable to load the registration library (dll)" Any ideas? -- Greg In microsoft.public.money, Greg wrote: >When attempting to open money 2007 deluxe, i receive a message box that says >"Money was unable to load the registration library (dll)" > >Any ideas? Can you open sample.mny from your install folder? You could copy it to your Documents folder in WE, right-click, and choose Open. If that works, that would tend to point to a problem with the Money file. If you c...

Can I modify the default shortcut menu in access 2007?
I have an access 2007 application. I have managed to create a shortcut menu "ExportToExcel" that calls a vba function and does the export as explained here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access/HA102825091033.aspx But my new menu with one single item replaces the default shortcut menu with text filtering etc. . What I want is this new item ExportToExcel to be added to the existing default shortcut menu. Is it possible, and how? Regards from Tore On Nov 27, 9:28=A0pm, Tore <t...@nospam.nospam> wrote: > I have an access 2007 application. I have managed to...

Cannot open 2007 excel files(.xls) as email attachments on Win. Vi
Im am running Windows Vista with Office 2007 for about 1 year with no problems. This weekend i was trying to open an excel file (.xls) attached to my email account (gmail) and I got an error message "cannot find file path....C:/users/steve/....../temporary internet files/...." If i save the file directly to my computer, i am still not able to open the file. I can however open files that I had before. I can open word, pdf and powerpoint attachments. ...

Is there a cookbook template available for Publisher 2007?
-- Pat There are all sorts of recipe card templates. A cookbook is nothing more than a booklet with recipes. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=recipe+card+template&aq=6&oq=recipe+&aqi=g10 -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Pat" <tileypa@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message news:B32B027B-8D0B-4A14-A7CB-461C25C6A591@microsoft.com... > > -- > Pat -- Pat "Mary Sauer" wrote: > There are all sorts of recipe card templates. A cookbook is nothing more than a > booklet with recipes. > http://www.google.com/search...

No text search from File|Open in Excel 2007?
I have recently made the switch from Excel97 to Excel 2007. I use an Excel based purchase order app and routinely had locate and open a saved purchase orders (.xls file) based on a text query. In Excel97 there was the capability to do a text search in the File|Open dialog box. Excel 2007 does not have the text search function. Must I now do text searches outside of Excel or is that capability hidden somewhere? BrianG <decclt@nogmailspamdotcom> wrote in news:800fc$4a3695da$d1a8c432$26391@EDELTACOM.COM: > I have recently made the switch from Excel97 to Excel 2007. I use a...

Outlook 2007 Spell Check issue
I am wondering if anyone else is having issueswith Outlook 2007 spell check? I have Outlook 2007 setup with an exchange account and two POP accounts. Everthing works exactly like it should except the spell check feature. Spell check is set correctly to prompt to change missed words (those underlined in red) before sending out emails. This only works correctly for the exchange account. If you mis-spell a word using the POP accounts it will be underlined in red pointing out that it is misspelled but I am never prompted to change it, the email just sends right out. I have tried an offic...

Custom Charts in Excel 2007
What has happened to custom charts in 2007? I used to create a chart with one data series displayed as columns (result data) with another series on the same chart displayed as a line (budget data). I cannot find any way of doing this in Excel 2007, anyone offer some help on this? Make a column chart with the two data series Right click on the a Budget column; select Change Series Chart Type Select Line chart Even in earlier version it was often better to make your own combination chart this way best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Bone...

Need lookup field on a form- 2007
Who moved my cheese? Access 2007 running on Win XP In past versions I have used look up fields on data entry forms to select from, existing data. I cannot find a way to accomplish this task in 2007. Can someone point me in the right direction please. I have an employee table with EmpID, Fname, Lname, etc; Session table with SessionID,date, time, location, max number of participants; Transaction table storing TrxID, sessionID, EmpID, and additional details about registration and attendance I need the data entry form to to include a employee field which will allow me to type p...

Charts 2003 in Office 2007 and Vista
Hi I have 3 databases running since 2002/2003 with many Charts. I never had problem with them. Now I bought a new laptop with Windows Vista Ultimate and Office 2007 and none of the charts are open in a right way. All of them looks like fine on the Design View but on the Print Preview they are "cut" in the middle. I can see the background but I can't see the Chart Area and the Plot Area. I tried to change the Size Mode to Stretch but the information oversize the border of the Chart. I need that the Database staying in Access 2003 because I need to share with other people in...

How do I get PPt 2007 out of safe mode
Just installed PPT2007. Switched an older version presentation to 2007 and it seems to be locked in safe mode. Any ideas on what caused this and how to get it out? Save as a new name "delcoronado" <delcoronado@discussions.microsoft.com> a �crit dans le message de news: 4C54D52D-875B-46CE-8961-386B86D649D7@microsoft.com... > Just installed PPT2007. Switched an older version presentation to 2007 and > it > seems to be locked in safe mode. Any ideas on what caused this and how to > get > it out? Has the trial period expired on the new 2007 i...

2007 year end payroll tax update
We have been unable to download the 2007 year end payroll tax update the usual way. Is there an alternate way to get this? Someone has already supplied me with an alternate way to get 2008 Round One, but I still need the year end update desperately. Thank you, -- DoLu CustomerSource is the way to do it. What version of GP are you using? Has your business partner not been able to help? -- Charles Allen, MVP "DoLu" wrote: > We have been unable to download the 2007 year end payroll tax update the > usual way. Is there an alternate way to get this? Someone has alre...

Combo box Auto Expand not working
In a large application I have many combo boxes with Auto Expand property set to "Yes". There are two fields in the row source: SELECT DISTINCTROW TBL_TOWN.TCODE, TBL_TOWN.TNAME FROM TBL_TOWN ORDER BY TBL_TOWN.TNAME; First visible field is TNAME. Bound column = 1 The combo boxes worked fine in Access 97. But after converting to Access 2007, the auto expand feature is not working. I've deleted one of the existing combo boxes and have recreated it using the wizard. Afterwards, Auto Expand is working. But when I save/ close the form and then reopen it, Auto Expand is no longer w...

How to get watermark on all pages in Word 2007?
I have a simple 3-page document. I would like to put a watermark on all pages. To insert a watermark, I click on Page Layout | Watermark | Draft 1. If I do this from page 1, I get it on page 1 only. If I then do it from page 2, I get it on pages 2-3, but it disappears from page 1. If I redo it from page 1, it reappears on page 1, but disappears from pages 2-3. What is going on? Open the header pane (double click in the top border) and when the selection is in the header, use the Watermark facility. -- Hope this helps, Doug Robbins - Word MVP Please reply only to the news...

New Shots of Office 2007 Beta 2 on Aero
New Shots of Office 2007 Beta 2 on Aero If you like Vista's transparency teamed with the new Office 2007 look, then you'll love these screenshots. For more details: http://ttcom.blogspot.com/2006/05/new-shots-of-office-2007-beta-2-on.html <ttadword@gmail.com> wrote: > New Shots of Office 2007 Beta 2 on Aero > > If you like Vista's transparency teamed with the new Office 2007 look, > then you'll love these screenshots. It looks "cleaner" thank the previous shots I saw, but I still don't know what to think about their "dynamic toolbar&...

Text Area indicator Word 2007
When I installed MS Office, I set the word 2007 page to indicate the text area (doted lines) on 4 sides of the page. Wish to remove them now, but don't remember where it was that set them Help PLEASE TIA Word Options > Advanced > Show Document Content > Uncheck 'Show Text Boundaries" -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><&l...

Outlook 2007 email sorting by time of day then date
I would like to sort all emails received by time of day 1st then by date. Haven't found an easy way to do this as the received time shows as all in one field ie (mm/dd/yy hh:mm:ss). Could get query builder to work for me. ...

Switchboard problem going from Access 2000 to Access 2007
I just got a new Windows 7 computer and i'm moving my data from an xp machine to it. I copied an Access 2000 database to the new machine and the switchboard doesn't work. It doesn't display any of the menu items and if i try to click on a menu item i get an error message. Does it have a new version of Access 2007 on it? If so just under the ribbon there should be a security warning bar. On it there is an Options button. When you start up the database click on the Options button and select Enable Content. -- Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP Light. Strong. Cheap...

2007 EC Excel / Access User Conference
Hello everyoneThe 2007 East Coast Excel / Access User Conference will be held at the TrumpMarina Hotel Casino on April 18-20. If you have missed the past events, makeit a point to attend this one. If you have attended any of the past events,you know the value of the information shared by the experts along with thefun and camaraderie shared by all.Attendees will get to hear from experts like Bob Umlas, Jon Peltier, BernardLiengme and Access MVP Andy Baron.-- -- Damon Longworth2007 East Coast Excel / Access User ConferenceApril 18-20, 2007 - Providing Microsoft Excel training and Microsoft Ex...

One Day Out when Using EoMONTH in 1904 Date System : Excel 2007
Is anyone else experiencing this issue when using 1904 Date System within Excel 2007? The date it returns appears to be one day less than it should be!!! =EOMONTH(c1,-1) return 29/09/2008 rather than 30/09/2008 a B C 1 =EOMONTH(c1,-1) 29/09/2008 01/10/2008 2 =EOMONTH(c2,-1) 30/10/2008 01/11/2008 It seems to be the same for all dates when using this system, but works ok when using the normal default date system it work OK. Is this a known bug? Regards Steve Hi, Yes, I just confirmed this issue! I ...

Difficulty exiting Outlook 2007
I am using Outlook 2007, Vista 64 bit, and Plaxo. Exiting Outlook is difficult and I got a message that Plaxo was casuing a proble. BUT, I still want to use Plaxo. Help! Ask Plaxo? How is this an Outlook issue? -- Russ Valentine "Mike W" <MikeW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B1974BF2-3A71-49E2-9D5E-BCC19407ACDC@microsoft.com... >I am using Outlook 2007, Vista 64 bit, and Plaxo. Exiting Outlook is > difficult and I got a message that Plaxo was casuing a proble. BUT, I > still > want to use Plaxo. Help! Mike W wrote: &g...

Using Outlook 2007 How to send reject message
I have specific senders that I want not just to file them in the Junk Email folder when i get their messages but I would like to actually send a message back informing their messages were rejected. I use a cable Internet provider for my mail. Any suggestions? -- HP Pavilion Elite m9040n 2.4gh 3gb mem 640gb hard drive, dvd lightscribe technology burner, Vista Home Premium, Office 2007 "KingMe" <nospam@gmail.com> wrote in message news:63601FB8-A9BD-4331-9BA3-6999BAB1AE51@microsoft.com... > I have specific senders that I want not just to file them in the Junk ...

is there any way to open access 2003 files in 2007 ??
I am a student using access 2003 at college, I have access 2007 at home. I am unable to open any 2003 db files using 2007, there appear to be compatability issues...is there a quick fix ? Access 2003 .mdb files should open in Access 2007. I do it all the time. However Access 2007 .accdb files will NOT open in Access 2003. I tell my Access 2007 students that they MUST use 2007 to do the homework. What kind of error are you getting? -- Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder. "Andrew" wrote: > I am...

Difference in dates in Excel 2007
Cell b1= 25 Sept 2007 Cell b2= 23 Sept 2007 Both cells are formatted as shown With the following formula in B3 (B1-b2) I get answer of 3. I thought the answer would be 2. Can you tell me why oir how to fix it Thanks If you format the cells as General, do they have a fractional part? XL stores date/times as integer/fractions, and calculations depend only on the stored values, not the displayed values. So, for instance, if B1: 25 Sept 2007 23:59 B2: 23 Sept 2007 00:00 B3: =B1-B2 ===> 2.999305556 which will round to 3 if less than 3 decimals are specified. ...