2004 Small Business and 2006 Premium on the same PC?

i would like to use 2004 Small Business and 2006 Premium on the same PC since 
I also have a business.

I want one user to use 2004 Small Business and the other to use 2006 Premium 
on the same PC as user #2.

Is that possible? If not, can i install it on a different hard drive and run 
it from there?
0
G-Money (2)
10/8/2007 5:01:00 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

4 Replies
306 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 7

In microsoft.public.money, g-money wrote:

>i would like to use 2004 Small Business and 2006 Premium on the same PC since 
>I also have a business.
>
>I want one user to use 2004 Small Business and the other to use 2006 Premium 
>on the same PC as user #2.
>
>Is that possible? If not, can i install it on a different hard drive and run 
>it from there?

Yes.

You can have both 2004 SB and 2006 Premium on your computer at the
same time, installed into different folders, which is what would
happen by default. You have to pay attention during install to
select to not have Money 2007 uninstall the earlier version during
install. You can have them open, one at a time.

The only caveats I can think of are the last-installed is set up
with the file associations, so when you download an OFX or QIF, the
last installed gets fed the file.  You can File->Open or
File->Import to feed files or information to the earlier-installed
Money.


0
via_newsgroup (13114)
10/8/2007 5:21:38 PM
thank you so much. so if i understand you correctly, you are saying i can 
even have them on the same hard drive since they will be installed in 
different folders.

then each user can open whichever one they want.

there is a chance that the last one installed will be default, and i just 
need to associate the correct file with the right version.

i will try it and report back. before i proceed, will back up everything.

i just remembered something....the file on my 2006 version is up to 20MB and 
it takes a few min to open and start working....

what do you guys do to reduce the file. i have checked the box for auto 
compression....and it is still huge.

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, g-money wrote:
> 
> >i would like to use 2004 Small Business and 2006 Premium on the same PC since 
> >I also have a business.
> >
> >I want one user to use 2004 Small Business and the other to use 2006 Premium 
> >on the same PC as user #2.
> >
> >Is that possible? If not, can i install it on a different hard drive and run 
> >it from there?
> 
> Yes.
> 
> You can have both 2004 SB and 2006 Premium on your computer at the
> same time, installed into different folders, which is what would
> happen by default. You have to pay attention during install to
> select to not have Money 2007 uninstall the earlier version during
> install. You can have them open, one at a time.
> 
> The only caveats I can think of are the last-installed is set up
> with the file associations, so when you download an OFX or QIF, the
> last installed gets fed the file.  You can File->Open or
> File->Import to feed files or information to the earlier-installed
> Money.
> 
> 
> 
0
gmoney (8)
10/8/2007 6:00:00 PM
In microsoft.public.money, g-money wrote:

>thank you so much. so if i understand you correctly, you are saying i can 
>even have them on the same hard drive since they will be installed in 
>different folders.
>
>then each user can open whichever one they want.

Right. They will each have their own uniquely named *.mny files.
Those *.mny files themselves can be in the same folder.

>
>there is a chance that the last one installed will be default, and i just 
>need to associate the correct file with the right version.
>
>i will try it and report back. before i proceed, will back up everything.
>
>i just remembered something....the file on my 2006 version is up to 20MB and 
>it takes a few min to open and start working....

See if
Tools->Settings->ProgramSettings->(Display:)StartMoneyWithThisPageOpen:AccountList
speeds up your start.

With Money 2007 or Plus, I would suggest you consider
File->Repair->RemoveAllBillsData. Money 2006 does not offer that.

>what do you guys do to reduce the file. i have checked the box for auto 
>compression....and it is still huge.

While Archive looks enticing, I don't remember anybody reporting
that it made their file significantly smaller or faster. To slow
file growth, consider reducing the number of stock quotes that you
fetch.

Also consider defragmenting your hard drive. Consider rebooting your
computer every week or two.


0
via_newsgroup (13114)
10/8/2007 7:04:07 PM
I had a similar scenario where I had a personal .mny file and a business 
..mny file. To get round the last opened scenario I created two desktop short 
cuts and then edited each shortcut to include the full path to the relevant 
file after the string that ended ".........money.exe". You will need to 
quote the file path if it includes spaces. So my target was something like

""C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles\msmoney.exe" space 
"C:\Money files\personal.mny"
 (where space is to indicate a single space character)

Adjust to fit your scenario.
-- 
Regards
Bob Peel,
Microsoft MVP - Money

For UK tips & fixes see
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny.


I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for.

"g-money" <gmoney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:84D3C8B3-B99B-4290-8030-BBD1D567A701@microsoft.com...
> thank you so much. so if i understand you correctly, you are saying i can
> even have them on the same hard drive since they will be installed in
> different folders.
>
> then each user can open whichever one they want.
>
> there is a chance that the last one installed will be default, and i just
> need to associate the correct file with the right version.
>
> i will try it and report back. before i proceed, will back up everything.
>
> i just remembered something....the file on my 2006 version is up to 20MB 
> and
> it takes a few min to open and start working....
>
> what do you guys do to reduce the file. i have checked the box for auto
> compression....and it is still huge.
>
> "Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:
>
>> In microsoft.public.money, g-money wrote:
>>
>> >i would like to use 2004 Small Business and 2006 Premium on the same PC 
>> >since
>> >I also have a business.
>> >
>> >I want one user to use 2004 Small Business and the other to use 2006 
>> >Premium
>> >on the same PC as user #2.
>> >
>> >Is that possible? If not, can i install it on a different hard drive and 
>> >run
>> >it from there?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> You can have both 2004 SB and 2006 Premium on your computer at the
>> same time, installed into different folders, which is what would
>> happen by default. You have to pay attention during install to
>> select to not have Money 2007 uninstall the earlier version during
>> install. You can have them open, one at a time.
>>
>> The only caveats I can think of are the last-installed is set up
>> with the file associations, so when you download an OFX or QIF, the
>> last installed gets fed the file.  You can File->Open or
>> File->Import to feed files or information to the earlier-installed
>> Money.
>>
>>
>> 

0
bob_peel2056 (736)
10/8/2007 8:10:55 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces: