How to subclass an MFC window?

Is there any easy way of overriding the responses to some messages to a
CWnd-derived object buried deep within MFC?

One reason for the question is:

In the old days CMainFrame was derived from CMDIFrameWnd and this had a
member

HWND m_hWndMDIClient;

To draw the background of this window I used to do a

SubclassWindow( )

on it, and with my own CWnd-derived object, respond to WM_ERASEBKGND
messages.

Nowadays CMainFrame is derived from CMDIFrameWndEx and this has a member

CMDIClientAreaWnd m_wndClientArea;

and (I think) because a CWnd object already exists for the MDI client area,
then SubclassWindow() doesn't work on it.

A second reason is that CMFCToolBar etc come with a customisation property
sheet, and I am considering what I might do to override one of its property
pages.

[I used to think that I knew MFC quite well - but all these new classes have
thrown me somewhat!]

Dave
--
David Webber
Mozart Music Software

David
6/25/2010 3:14:02 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

>Nowadays CMainFrame is derived from CMDIFrameWndEx and this has a member
>
>CMDIClientAreaWnd m_wndClientArea;
>
>and (I think) because a CWnd object already exists for the MDI client area,
>then SubclassWindow() doesn't work on it.

I wonder if you can handle the message some other way - perhaps in the
application's PreTranslateMessage handler?

Dave
0
David
6/25/2010 3:54:23 PM

"David Lowndes" <DavidL@example.invalid> wrote in message

>>Nowadays CMainFrame is derived from CMDIFrameWndEx and this has a member
>>
>>CMDIClientAreaWnd m_wndClientArea;
>>
>>and (I think) because a CWnd object already exists for the MDI client
>>area,
>>then SubclassWindow() doesn't work on it.
>
> I wonder if you can handle the message some other way - perhaps in the
> application's PreTranslateMessage handler?

Sounds like a plausible idea for one message for that particular window -
thanks.

But it sounds pretty horrible for a whole property page and all its
controls.    BUT.....

Please forgive me if I think aloud here, as something might be dawning on me
in real time as I type.

The App Wizard has given me:

void CMainFrame::OnViewCustomize()
{
  CMFCToolBarsCustomizeDialog* pDlgCust
        = new CMFCToolBarsCustomizeDialog(this, TRUE);
  pDlgCust->EnableUserDefinedToolbars();
  pDlgCust->Create();
}

so I can derive a class from CMFCToolBarsCustomizeDialog, and use that
instead.

This is a property sheet with a number of property pages, including

  CMFCToolBarsKeyboardPropertyPage*  m_pKeyboardPage;

which allows the user to set a new keyboard shortcut.   No whilst I can't
easily get at the property *page*,  the property *sheet* (which I *can*
subclass) has lots of virtual members, including

    virtual BOOL OnAssignKey( ACCEL *pAccel ) { return TRUE; }

It *looks* like this gets called with the newly selected accelerator, and I
can do what I want with it and return FALSE to tell MFC to ignore it!

This is looking very promising!!!!!!!!

Background:
Shortcut keys like ^ > + - are very useful mnemonics for music applications.
Equally Ctrl+> etc are very useful shortcuts.
But I want it to appear as Ctrl+> on the menu, and not Ctrl+Shift+.
And I want to define these shortcuts for all national keyboards (even if >
isn't Shift+.)
Accelerators are not up to the job, so I rolled my own method, built into
WM_KEYDOWN and WM_CHAR processing.  Maybe I *will* be able to integrate it
with the new customisable toolbars!!!!
A nice thought on which to end the week (especially as I'm out all weekend
playing on bandstands.)

Dave
--
David Webber
Mozart Music Software
http://www.mozart.co.uk
For discussion and support see

David
6/25/2010 5:30:15 PM
This is remarkably ugly, but something like this should work...

First, have a window subclass that you want.  I'll call it CMySubclass

void CMyApp::RedrawClientArea()
   {
    CMySublcass w;
    w.Attach(m_wndClientArea.Detach());
    w->Invalidate();
    w->UpdateWindow();
    m_wndClientArea.Attach(w.Detach());
   }

Overall, this is pretty gross.  Also, I have not figured out quite where you would need to
call this, but I'd suspect this is one of the interesting uses of PreTranslateMessage,
looking for a WM_PAINT directed to the client area (in that case, the Invalidate() would
not be required)
				joe

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 16:14:02 +0100, "David Webber" <dave@musical-dot-demon-dot-co.uk>
wrote:

>Is there any easy way of overriding the responses to some messages to a
>CWnd-derived object buried deep within MFC?
>
>One reason for the question is:
>
>In the old days CMainFrame was derived from CMDIFrameWnd and this had a
>member
>
>HWND m_hWndMDIClient;
>
>To draw the background of this window I used to do a
>
>SubclassWindow( )
>
>on it, and with my own CWnd-derived object, respond to WM_ERASEBKGND
>messages.
>
>Nowadays CMainFrame is derived from CMDIFrameWndEx and this has a member
>
>CMDIClientAreaWnd m_wndClientArea;
>
>and (I think) because a CWnd object already exists for the MDI client area,
>then SubclassWindow() doesn't work on it.
>
>A second reason is that CMFCToolBar etc come with a customisation property
>sheet, and I am considering what I might do to override one of its property
>pages.
>
>[I used to think that I knew MFC quite well - but all these new classes have
>thrown me somewhat!]
>
>Dave
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
Joseph
6/26/2010 9:53:55 PM
"Joseph M. Newcomery" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message

> This is remarkably ugly, but something like this should work...
>
> First, have a window subclass that you want.  I'll call it CMySubclass
>
> void CMyApp::RedrawClientArea()
>   {
>    CMySublcass w;
>    w.Attach(m_wndClientArea.Detach());
>    w->Invalidate();
>    w->UpdateWindow();
>    m_wndClientArea.Attach(w.Detach());
>   }
>
> Overall, this is pretty gross.  Also, I have not figured out quite where
> you would need to
> call this, but I'd suspect this is one of the interesting uses of
> PreTranslateMessage,
> looking for a WM_PAINT directed to the client area (in that case, the
> Invalidate() would
> not be required)

I vaguely wondered about something like that.  When it says that
SubclassWindow only works for an HWND with no CWnd attached, the immediate
question is why?   The next question is - well if we remove the attached
CWnd, what then?

If we take your suggestion one step further:  suppose I derive CMySubclass
from the CWnd-derived class which was attached in the first place.  Then I
could detach the original and attach mine, and leave it attached, with no
apparent penalties.   But if it is as easy as that, why doesn't
SublassWindow just do it?   I guess the originally attached class may itself
have some data necessary to the correct functioning of the window?

I feel I am walking on eggshells here.

Dave
--
David Webber
Mozart Music Software
http://www.mozart.co.uk
For discussion and support see

David
6/26/2010 10:39:23 PM
See below...
On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 23:39:23 +0100, "David Webber" <dave@musical-dot-demon-dot-co.uk>
wrote:

>"Joseph M. Newcomery" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message
>
>> This is remarkably ugly, but something like this should work...
>>
>> First, have a window subclass that you want.  I'll call it CMySubclass
>>
>> void CMyApp::RedrawClientArea()
>>   {
>>    CMySublcass w;
>>    w.Attach(m_wndClientArea.Detach());
>>    w->Invalidate();
>>    w->UpdateWindow();
>>    m_wndClientArea.Attach(w.Detach());
>>   }
>>
>> Overall, this is pretty gross.  Also, I have not figured out quite where
>> you would need to
>> call this, but I'd suspect this is one of the interesting uses of
>> PreTranslateMessage,
>> looking for a WM_PAINT directed to the client area (in that case, the
>> Invalidate() would
>> not be required)
>
>I vaguely wondered about something like that.  When it says that
>SubclassWindow only works for an HWND with no CWnd attached, the immediate
>question is why?   The next question is - well if we remove the attached
>CWnd, what then?
****
When an HWND is placed in a CWnd-derived class (as the m_hWnd), an entryis made in the
handle map for that thread.  If, in the future, someone delivers an HWND (say, a message
is received), the way the methods are found is to use the handle map to obtain the CWnd*
pointer; in the case of message dispatching, from the CWnd* reference, the message map is
found.  Note that in general if the lookup fails, a *temporary* CWnd* reference is
generated, which is deleted in the CWinApp::OnIdle handler.  This is why there all all the
warnings about the CWnd* reference being temporary, and that it must not be stored.

So you cannot have an HWND mapped to two different CWnd-derived objects.  Hence the ugly
detach/attach code I gave;  the Attach code creates a new mapping of an newly-unattached
HWND.

Note that when an Attach (or SubclassWindow, which ultimately does an Attach) occurs, the
handle is looked up in the handle map.  It had better return an error coden (handle not
found), otherwise, there is an ASSSERT failure that there is an attempt to create a handle
map entry for an HWND which is already mapped.
*****

>If we take your suggestion one step further:  suppose I derive CMySubclass
>from the CWnd-derived class which was attached in the first place.  Then I
>could detach the original and attach mine, and leave it attached, with no
>apparent penalties.   But if it is as easy as that, why doesn't
>SublassWindow just do it?   I guess the originally attached class may itself
>have some data necessary to the correct functioning of the window?
****
Actually, there are penalties; messages directed to that window will not be handled by the
class of the m_wndClientArea.  Presumably, this will not be healthy for your app.

And, as I indicated, SubclassWindow *cannot* work correctly if the HWND is already mapped!
It is considered erroneous to let SubclassWIndow map an HWND to some other CWnd* when it
is already mapped to a CWnd*.  So the code I showed (remember, I said it was gross and
ugly) creates a *temporary* remapping only in the cases where you need it.  Otherwise, the
mapping is left at the correct class for the new framework, so it continues to work
correctly.

				joe
****

>I feel I am walking on eggshells here.
>
>Dave
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
Joseph
6/27/2010 12:31:32 AM
A friend who wrote an analogously ugly piece of code used "ASCII Art" to draw a
skull-and-crossbones in the function header comments, and quoted the Unix kernel's
context-swap code: "You are not meant to understand this"
					joe

>>I vaguely wondered about something like that.  When it says that
>>SubclassWindow only works for an HWND with no CWnd attached, the immediate
>>question is why?   The next question is - well if we remove the attached
>>CWnd, what then?
> ****
>
> [Can't attach an HWND to two CWnds]....

Yes I can see this - replacing the CWnd would be the only option.

> Actually, there are penalties; messages directed to that window will not
> be handled by the
> class of the m_wndClientArea.  Presumably, this will not be healthy for
> your app.

But if I derived my window class from CMDIClientAreaWnd then presumably the
only danger would be that any data members it had would be different from
the original  CMDIClientAreaWnd m_wndClientArea.

Still maybe that's danger enough.

> And, as I indicated, SubclassWindow *cannot* work correctly if the HWND is
> already mapped!
> It is considered erroneous to let SubclassWIndow map an HWND to some other
> CWnd* when it
> is already mapped to a CWnd*.  So the code I showed (remember, I said it
> was gross and
> ugly) creates a *temporary* remapping only in the cases where you need it.
> Otherwise, the
> mapping is left at the correct class for the new framework, so it
> continues to work
> correctly.

Yes I realise that.  I think your 'gross and ugly' is my 'walking on
eggshells'.  :-)

Dave
--
David Webber
Mozart Music Software
http://www.mozart.co.uk
For discussion and support see

David
6/27/2010 9:31:59 AM
On Jun 25, 5:14=A0pm, "David Webber" <d...@musical-dot-demon-dot-co.uk>
wrote:
> Is there any easy way of overriding the responses to some messages to a
> CWnd-derived object buried deep within MFC?
>
> One reason for the question is:
>
> In the old days CMainFrame was derived from CMDIFrameWnd and this had a
> member
>
> HWND m_hWndMDIClient;
>
> To draw the background of this window I used to do a
>
> SubclassWindow( )
>
> on it, and with my own CWnd-derived object, respond to WM_ERASEBKGND
> messages.

How about just putting a window of your own into m_wndClientArea and
doing your drawing in that, then?

Goran.
0
Goran
7/1/2010 11:25:12 AM

"Goran" <goran.pusic@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Jun 25, 5:14 pm, "David Webber" <d...@musical-dot-demon-dot-co.uk>
> wrote:

>> Is there any easy way of overriding the responses to some messages to a
>> CWnd-derived object buried deep within MFC?

> How about just putting a window of your own into m_wndClientArea and
> doing your drawing in that, then?

Unfortunately the m_wndClientArea being difficult to get at, I suspect it
would be diificult to give it children.    Surely getting at its
WM_ERASEBKGD should be easier?   But thanks for the idea - a bit of lateral
thought is always welcome :-)

Dave

--
David Webber
Mozart Music Software
http://www.mozart.co.uk
For discussion and support see

David

about OWA logout window
Dear all, My Exchange Server is 2003. When I logout OWA, it will pop-up a logout window. But I don��t want this logout message. Can I disable that? Many thanks for your help! http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325906 -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "David" <David@idle.com.tw.nospam> wrote in message news:%23CXAQfprFHA.3444@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Dear all, > > > > My Exchange Server is 2003. When I logout OWA, it will pop-up a logout > window. But I don��t want thi...

Print MFC Dialog
Hi, I have a MFC dialog application. The main dialog has a number of controls on it including an ADO data grid and also a bitmap. I would like to print the whole dialog out. I obviously cant use the CView printing options as it is a dialog application. I'd appreciate any suggesstions as to how i can achieve this, Thanks In Advance Macca I would suggest paying visit to codeguru forum and search articles and posts. http://www.codeguru.com/forum/ and http://www.codeguru.com "Macca" wrote: > Hi, > > I have a MFC dialog application. The main dialog has a number of...

Debugging Tools for Windows
Hi, I came across an article talking about "Debugging Tools for Windows - WinDbg". Is it free and better than the debugger built in VS .Net 2005? I wonder why not many people talk about it if it's good. Your opinion is appreciated. Thanks. Tony On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 15:18:54 -0800, JD <jdt_young@yahoo.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I came across an article talking about "Debugging Tools for Windows - >WinDbg". Is it free and better than the debugger built in VS .Net 2005? > I wonder why not many people talk about it if it's good. Your opinio...

Windows Live Mail keeps Signing me In
Windows Live Mail keeps Signing me In on a PC where I removed my Hotmail email. I even un-installed live mail and deleted the left over folders. When I re-installed live mail it still signs in to my Hotmail account. I went online and changed my password and that created a new problem. Now when I try to sign into my Hotmail it makes me type in hard to read codes because windows live mail on that PC is still trying to sign in with the wrong password. How do I kill this thing? Eagle Sign in is not related to the any type of email account setup in WLM. Sign in is intended for s...

Activate/Show window if app already running
Hi, I have an EXE (say A) which needs to invoke another app (say B). So, from app A, I just do a ShellExecute(of process B), without checking if it is running or not. In InitInstance() of process B, I do this: //If app is running: check existence of named mutex { HWND hWndPrev = NULL; CString strWnd; strWnd.LoadString(IDS_APPNAME); hWndPrev = ::FindWindowEx(NULL, NULL, NULL, strWnd); if (hWndPrev) ::ShowWindow(hWndPrev, SW_SHOW); return FALSE; } But the problem is that, this doesn't show up the window if it exists, and is minimized or is in the background. Could someone help ...

Windows 7, Files won't delete
I copied files from a friends USB drive to my USD drive, both drives were plugged in at the same time on my Windows 7 system, then I copied them to my hard drive and now I can't delete them. I was always logged in as the same user, I tried to delete the files as that same user. The error message says they are owned by the same user (me). I tried to delete them with Cygwin in a shell and I get permission denied. A second related question is how to log in as Administrator in Windows 7 other than going to Safe Mode. I can not figure out how to login as the user Administ...

MFC(VC6) Application Localization from French to Chinese(RPC)
I am now working for a company, my main job is to complete the localization of the software into Chinese(RPC). I am working in the French WindowsXP system. and I changed the Control Panel -> region and language options -> Advanced Options -> language for the non Unicode program into Chinese(RPC). In the beginning, everything works well, for the resource file, I insert Chinese dialogs, menus, and stringtable. And the Chinese characters displaying very well. However, while I build one project(let's say Proj1) and make the output file as a .lib file(because some other applications...

Windows CE license management
Hello, I have the following answer regarding the stamp of nk.bin with a license product key : I buy a 100 licenses pack of Windows CE Core and I stamp the current nk.bin with the product key related to this pack. If I buy another 100 licenses pack but the nk.bin doesn't change, I have to stamp the nk.bin with the new product key ? Or I can use the nk.bin stamped with another product key. I ask this question because, I release on my company web site a new nk.bin when I develop a new features in it. The customer can updates its machine with the new image but obviously the nk.b...

"WindowsUpdate_0000064C" when running updates Windows 7
Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB954430) Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB973688) Both these updates are failing returning Error 64C. I tried installing separately, no success. Its been quite a while having issues with updates on my machine. I just upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate from Vista Home Premium hoping this would be corrected :( no !! I tried running windows update troubleshooter, no success. There must be a patch that resets updates history/cache or something ??? Help please annoying to having upda...

Runtime Error Running Outlook 2000 in Windows XP
The title describes the problem. When I first log on and start Outlook, I get the above message, along with a statement about an abnormal termination. So I click the button, Outook closes. I try again, and it's fine. Same thing occurs for others logging on. This all started when I loaded Office onto a new computer running XP. I have seen this posted elsewhere and no one seems to have a knowledgeable answer. I saw this (but it look a little different): MICROSOFT VISUAL C++ RUNTIME LIBRARY WHEN YOU OPEN A HTML MESSAGE If you wanted to open a HTML Message, you may get this error: &...

How To Replace An Original Windows XP Disc
Good day: I have an original (purchased) Windows XP Home Edition disc which was badly scratched and is unusable (unbootable). I would like to replace it (at a cost presumably) from Microsoft. However, when I go on MS's support site, apparently an e-mail or phone reply from them will cost me CAD $59.00. Could someone on this forum (or is this the correct forum to ask?) advise on how I can replace this disc with a new one from MS w/o the cost of a CAD $59.00 e-mail reply from them ? I would like to keep Windows XP for a while yet but in the event it crashes I would need the o...

My own mini MFC
Hi, I've used MFC for a long time, but there are cases where I can not use it (like on smartphones). I could use ATL, but it has been an exercize for me to do Win API. I am trying to create my own wrapper controls like CWnd, with a subclass function. The way I do it, each object has its own WNDPROC. The HWND parameter is always passed to a WNDPROC, so perhaps I should have 1 WNDPROC for all windows and then pass control to each class depending on the HWND, but I wouldn't know how to do this conveniently as I have to keep track of which HWND belongs to which CWnd class. I guess I...

Window Flatform Compatibility Check
Hi all, An apllication is built. Now how I know that which modules I used are compatible or not with a certain window flatform, Win95, Win98, Win2000... Any tool to verify that? a freeware is more prefer Thank you, Ben >An apllication is built. Now how I know that which modules I used are >compatible or not with a certain window flatform, Win95, Win98, Win2000... Ben, You would normally build your C/C++ project with the appropriate definitions for the minimal operating system you need to support (see the Platform SDK "Using the Windows Headers" topic in MSDN). >A...

Rundll32 after windows update
i have been searching but many things im seeing dont work for me i reinstalled windows only programs i have atm installed are photoshop cs4, dreamweaver cs4 winamp for my music player navicat livezilla filezilla and windows live games i have are guildwars that it and i did not have the error of rundll32 before till windows updated i can open security center i can play music open pic's videos ect msn but everytime i start up my pc screen blinks few times i get the rundll32 error. i dont have any nero programs on my computer i had no idea what nero was till i search what ...

WM_SETTEXT with Subclassed CEdit: Is this safe?
I created a custom edit control (CMonetEdit) that I plan on using throughout an entire application. Among other things, the CMonetEdit stores units for each field. To display the field plus its units, I handle WM_SETTEXT: LRESULT CMonetEdit::OnSetText(WPARAM w, LPARAM lpsz) { // FormatField() knows about the field's data through a // custom DDX routine CString text = FormatField(); // For example, lpsz might've been 500; FormatField() // would return "5.00 in" instead wcscpy((wchar_t *)lpsz, text); return Default(); } I've made a critical assumpt...

IE Add-ons w/ Windows 7
In Manage Add-ons, when I click on 'Find more toolbars and extensions', it takes me to IE 8 Add-ons Gallery, which it should. However, I get a pop-up stating 'We noticed you are not currently running Internet Explorer 8', and indicates Download now. I am using Windows 7with IE 8 installed from the factory. Also, even if I click Download now, it asks for which OS I'm using and it doesn't show Windows 7. All I want to do is review and select more Add-ons. Any suggestions out there? See http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp#updatecheck -- ~Robear Dy...

how can i make windows live email go to my personal folders
I have a MAPI email account and receive and send most of my email at outlook, although I often use hotmail when I am away from my computer. In the past when I would receive an email in outlook, it would go to the inbox of my msn folder list and the inbox of my personal folder list. When I would send an email from outlook, a copy of the message would to the sent folders in both the msn folder list and the personal folder list. Several months ago, outlook stopped sending incoming and outgoing email messages to the inbox and sent folder of my personal folder list. How can I fix...

dialog application window
Hi, I have an MFC Dialog based application that I'm working on. The project only has a single dialog that is a top-most dialog. I am trying to remove it from the system tray. In the dialog's properties, I set the "Application Window" property to false, but that didn't do it. I put the following assert into the OnInitDialog method: ASSERT( !( WS_EX_APPWINDOW & GetExStyle() ) ); It didn't trip, but yet the window still has an entry in the taskbar. Is this something in the bowels of MFC? Is there any way to accomplish this? -- Thanks in advance for...

Report windows not functional in module checklists V9.0
I have been at several client sites where they were not able to access report windows when using the module checklist feature. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?...

Windows 2003 Server Role Hardware Specifications
Hello, I don't know where I saw it but is there a link that talks about the hardware specifications for the various servers roles such as DCs, file server, web server, etc.? -- Thank you for your help! JYC Hello Mr. JYC, Maybe this can help you: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/solutionaccelerators/ee382254.aspx Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm >...

Setting the Filter to * by default in lookup window
Hello, If I open a lookup window for users or salesliterature, I don't get any entries on the left side box. I have to enter a * to see all available. As there are not so many, I would like to have this done automatically. How could I do this? I did not find anything to script here. Thank you! Regards. Uwe ...

Windows Mail Folders Missing
Hi there, I have been using Windows Mail since 07 and have never had an issue until now, I turned my comp on this morn to find the only part of windows vista mail i can access is INBOX!!! I've been through all the menus and i can't find any access to other folders or the panel down the side of windows mail where they all sat. e.g. I cant find Outbox, Sent, Junk Mail etc. Can anyone tell me what has happened and how can i fix this, thanks. I did just complete vista service pack a couple of days ago, but the problem only happened this morning. Desperate!!!! -- ...

Windows Live Messenger/MSN Freezes My PC (WIN 7 64)
I am new here and can not find any answers to my issue (from MSFT or Dell). I have a Dell XPS 9000,i7-920, 12gb DDR3, AMD Radeon 5850, Win 7 64 Home Ultimate. Everything was working fine until I installed Windows Live Messenger and that's when my issue started. My PC would freeze everytime I booted up and Windows Live started up. I would then have to do a Hard Reboot. Sometimes it would get past that and it would freeze when I opened up IE8, Firefox, Chrome, MSN. I reinstalled the OS and as soon as I installed WLM or MSN the problem would arise. I reinstalled the OS a 2nd tim...

Show tasks due, meetings to go to, and flagged messages in one window?
Outlook 2002. I'd like to create that shows all the things I have to be concerned about today, which includes: - appointments - tasks that are due - email messages flagged for follow-up - contacts flagged for follow-up I don't want to drag items to other folders (such as the tasks folder) because this creates static items which are not linked to the original item, and hence don't reflect what's really going on. I've spent some time on Slipstick, but haven't found anything. (Although I've found a few programs that do this for the Palm). Any one have further sugg...

Windows 7
Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this question ... What is the latest windows update agent version supported for Windows 7 - 32 bit and 64 bit operating systems. The version installed on our Windows 7 systems appears to be 7.3.7600.16385. All of our other operating systems are running 7.4.7600.226. Not sure if I can run this version with Windows 7 or not... Are you (still) running Win7 Beta or RC? How do I reset Windows Update components? [Ignore the APPLIES TO section if Win7; Access KB971058 via IE8 32-bit only; Run the Fix It in DEFAULT and AGGRESSIV...