How to subclass an MFC window?

Is there any easy way of overriding the responses to some messages to a
CWnd-derived object buried deep within MFC?

One reason for the question is:

In the old days CMainFrame was derived from CMDIFrameWnd and this had a
member

HWND m_hWndMDIClient;

To draw the background of this window I used to do a

SubclassWindow( )

on it, and with my own CWnd-derived object, respond to WM_ERASEBKGND
messages.

Nowadays CMainFrame is derived from CMDIFrameWndEx and this has a member

CMDIClientAreaWnd m_wndClientArea;

and (I think) because a CWnd object already exists for the MDI client area,
then SubclassWindow() doesn't work on it.

A second reason is that CMFCToolBar etc come with a customisation property
sheet, and I am considering what I might do to override one of its property
pages.

[I used to think that I knew MFC quite well - but all these new classes have
thrown me somewhat!]

Dave
--
David Webber
Mozart Music Software

David
6/25/2010 3:14:02 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

>Nowadays CMainFrame is derived from CMDIFrameWndEx and this has a member
>
>CMDIClientAreaWnd m_wndClientArea;
>
>and (I think) because a CWnd object already exists for the MDI client area,
>then SubclassWindow() doesn't work on it.

I wonder if you can handle the message some other way - perhaps in the
application's PreTranslateMessage handler?

Dave
0
David
6/25/2010 3:54:23 PM

"David Lowndes" <DavidL@example.invalid> wrote in message

>>Nowadays CMainFrame is derived from CMDIFrameWndEx and this has a member
>>
>>CMDIClientAreaWnd m_wndClientArea;
>>
>>and (I think) because a CWnd object already exists for the MDI client
>>area,
>>then SubclassWindow() doesn't work on it.
>
> I wonder if you can handle the message some other way - perhaps in the
> application's PreTranslateMessage handler?

Sounds like a plausible idea for one message for that particular window -
thanks.

But it sounds pretty horrible for a whole property page and all its
controls.    BUT.....

Please forgive me if I think aloud here, as something might be dawning on me
in real time as I type.

The App Wizard has given me:

void CMainFrame::OnViewCustomize()
{
  CMFCToolBarsCustomizeDialog* pDlgCust
        = new CMFCToolBarsCustomizeDialog(this, TRUE);
  pDlgCust->EnableUserDefinedToolbars();
  pDlgCust->Create();
}

so I can derive a class from CMFCToolBarsCustomizeDialog, and use that
instead.

This is a property sheet with a number of property pages, including

  CMFCToolBarsKeyboardPropertyPage*  m_pKeyboardPage;

which allows the user to set a new keyboard shortcut.   No whilst I can't
easily get at the property *page*,  the property *sheet* (which I *can*
subclass) has lots of virtual members, including

    virtual BOOL OnAssignKey( ACCEL *pAccel ) { return TRUE; }

It *looks* like this gets called with the newly selected accelerator, and I
can do what I want with it and return FALSE to tell MFC to ignore it!

This is looking very promising!!!!!!!!

Background:
Shortcut keys like ^ > + - are very useful mnemonics for music applications.
Equally Ctrl+> etc are very useful shortcuts.
But I want it to appear as Ctrl+> on the menu, and not Ctrl+Shift+.
And I want to define these shortcuts for all national keyboards (even if >
isn't Shift+.)
Accelerators are not up to the job, so I rolled my own method, built into
WM_KEYDOWN and WM_CHAR processing.  Maybe I *will* be able to integrate it
with the new customisable toolbars!!!!
A nice thought on which to end the week (especially as I'm out all weekend
playing on bandstands.)

Dave
--
David Webber
Mozart Music Software
http://www.mozart.co.uk
For discussion and support see

David
6/25/2010 5:30:15 PM
This is remarkably ugly, but something like this should work...

First, have a window subclass that you want.  I'll call it CMySubclass

void CMyApp::RedrawClientArea()
   {
    CMySublcass w;
    w.Attach(m_wndClientArea.Detach());
    w->Invalidate();
    w->UpdateWindow();
    m_wndClientArea.Attach(w.Detach());
   }

Overall, this is pretty gross.  Also, I have not figured out quite where you would need to
call this, but I'd suspect this is one of the interesting uses of PreTranslateMessage,
looking for a WM_PAINT directed to the client area (in that case, the Invalidate() would
not be required)
				joe

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 16:14:02 +0100, "David Webber" <dave@musical-dot-demon-dot-co.uk>
wrote:

>Is there any easy way of overriding the responses to some messages to a
>CWnd-derived object buried deep within MFC?
>
>One reason for the question is:
>
>In the old days CMainFrame was derived from CMDIFrameWnd and this had a
>member
>
>HWND m_hWndMDIClient;
>
>To draw the background of this window I used to do a
>
>SubclassWindow( )
>
>on it, and with my own CWnd-derived object, respond to WM_ERASEBKGND
>messages.
>
>Nowadays CMainFrame is derived from CMDIFrameWndEx and this has a member
>
>CMDIClientAreaWnd m_wndClientArea;
>
>and (I think) because a CWnd object already exists for the MDI client area,
>then SubclassWindow() doesn't work on it.
>
>A second reason is that CMFCToolBar etc come with a customisation property
>sheet, and I am considering what I might do to override one of its property
>pages.
>
>[I used to think that I knew MFC quite well - but all these new classes have
>thrown me somewhat!]
>
>Dave
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
Joseph
6/26/2010 9:53:55 PM
"Joseph M. Newcomery" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message

> This is remarkably ugly, but something like this should work...
>
> First, have a window subclass that you want.  I'll call it CMySubclass
>
> void CMyApp::RedrawClientArea()
>   {
>    CMySublcass w;
>    w.Attach(m_wndClientArea.Detach());
>    w->Invalidate();
>    w->UpdateWindow();
>    m_wndClientArea.Attach(w.Detach());
>   }
>
> Overall, this is pretty gross.  Also, I have not figured out quite where
> you would need to
> call this, but I'd suspect this is one of the interesting uses of
> PreTranslateMessage,
> looking for a WM_PAINT directed to the client area (in that case, the
> Invalidate() would
> not be required)

I vaguely wondered about something like that.  When it says that
SubclassWindow only works for an HWND with no CWnd attached, the immediate
question is why?   The next question is - well if we remove the attached
CWnd, what then?

If we take your suggestion one step further:  suppose I derive CMySubclass
from the CWnd-derived class which was attached in the first place.  Then I
could detach the original and attach mine, and leave it attached, with no
apparent penalties.   But if it is as easy as that, why doesn't
SublassWindow just do it?   I guess the originally attached class may itself
have some data necessary to the correct functioning of the window?

I feel I am walking on eggshells here.

Dave
--
David Webber
Mozart Music Software
http://www.mozart.co.uk
For discussion and support see

David
6/26/2010 10:39:23 PM
See below...
On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 23:39:23 +0100, "David Webber" <dave@musical-dot-demon-dot-co.uk>
wrote:

>"Joseph M. Newcomery" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message
>
>> This is remarkably ugly, but something like this should work...
>>
>> First, have a window subclass that you want.  I'll call it CMySubclass
>>
>> void CMyApp::RedrawClientArea()
>>   {
>>    CMySublcass w;
>>    w.Attach(m_wndClientArea.Detach());
>>    w->Invalidate();
>>    w->UpdateWindow();
>>    m_wndClientArea.Attach(w.Detach());
>>   }
>>
>> Overall, this is pretty gross.  Also, I have not figured out quite where
>> you would need to
>> call this, but I'd suspect this is one of the interesting uses of
>> PreTranslateMessage,
>> looking for a WM_PAINT directed to the client area (in that case, the
>> Invalidate() would
>> not be required)
>
>I vaguely wondered about something like that.  When it says that
>SubclassWindow only works for an HWND with no CWnd attached, the immediate
>question is why?   The next question is - well if we remove the attached
>CWnd, what then?
****
When an HWND is placed in a CWnd-derived class (as the m_hWnd), an entryis made in the
handle map for that thread.  If, in the future, someone delivers an HWND (say, a message
is received), the way the methods are found is to use the handle map to obtain the CWnd*
pointer; in the case of message dispatching, from the CWnd* reference, the message map is
found.  Note that in general if the lookup fails, a *temporary* CWnd* reference is
generated, which is deleted in the CWinApp::OnIdle handler.  This is why there all all the
warnings about the CWnd* reference being temporary, and that it must not be stored.

So you cannot have an HWND mapped to two different CWnd-derived objects.  Hence the ugly
detach/attach code I gave;  the Attach code creates a new mapping of an newly-unattached
HWND.

Note that when an Attach (or SubclassWindow, which ultimately does an Attach) occurs, the
handle is looked up in the handle map.  It had better return an error coden (handle not
found), otherwise, there is an ASSSERT failure that there is an attempt to create a handle
map entry for an HWND which is already mapped.
*****

>If we take your suggestion one step further:  suppose I derive CMySubclass
>from the CWnd-derived class which was attached in the first place.  Then I
>could detach the original and attach mine, and leave it attached, with no
>apparent penalties.   But if it is as easy as that, why doesn't
>SublassWindow just do it?   I guess the originally attached class may itself
>have some data necessary to the correct functioning of the window?
****
Actually, there are penalties; messages directed to that window will not be handled by the
class of the m_wndClientArea.  Presumably, this will not be healthy for your app.

And, as I indicated, SubclassWindow *cannot* work correctly if the HWND is already mapped!
It is considered erroneous to let SubclassWIndow map an HWND to some other CWnd* when it
is already mapped to a CWnd*.  So the code I showed (remember, I said it was gross and
ugly) creates a *temporary* remapping only in the cases where you need it.  Otherwise, the
mapping is left at the correct class for the new framework, so it continues to work
correctly.

				joe
****

>I feel I am walking on eggshells here.
>
>Dave
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
Joseph
6/27/2010 12:31:32 AM
A friend who wrote an analogously ugly piece of code used "ASCII Art" to draw a
skull-and-crossbones in the function header comments, and quoted the Unix kernel's
context-swap code: "You are not meant to understand this"
					joe

>>I vaguely wondered about something like that.  When it says that
>>SubclassWindow only works for an HWND with no CWnd attached, the immediate
>>question is why?   The next question is - well if we remove the attached
>>CWnd, what then?
> ****
>
> [Can't attach an HWND to two CWnds]....

Yes I can see this - replacing the CWnd would be the only option.

> Actually, there are penalties; messages directed to that window will not
> be handled by the
> class of the m_wndClientArea.  Presumably, this will not be healthy for
> your app.

But if I derived my window class from CMDIClientAreaWnd then presumably the
only danger would be that any data members it had would be different from
the original  CMDIClientAreaWnd m_wndClientArea.

Still maybe that's danger enough.

> And, as I indicated, SubclassWindow *cannot* work correctly if the HWND is
> already mapped!
> It is considered erroneous to let SubclassWIndow map an HWND to some other
> CWnd* when it
> is already mapped to a CWnd*.  So the code I showed (remember, I said it
> was gross and
> ugly) creates a *temporary* remapping only in the cases where you need it.
> Otherwise, the
> mapping is left at the correct class for the new framework, so it
> continues to work
> correctly.

Yes I realise that.  I think your 'gross and ugly' is my 'walking on
eggshells'.  :-)

Dave
--
David Webber
Mozart Music Software
http://www.mozart.co.uk
For discussion and support see

David
6/27/2010 9:31:59 AM
On Jun 25, 5:14=A0pm, "David Webber" <d...@musical-dot-demon-dot-co.uk>
wrote:
> Is there any easy way of overriding the responses to some messages to a
> CWnd-derived object buried deep within MFC?
>
> One reason for the question is:
>
> In the old days CMainFrame was derived from CMDIFrameWnd and this had a
> member
>
> HWND m_hWndMDIClient;
>
> To draw the background of this window I used to do a
>
> SubclassWindow( )
>
> on it, and with my own CWnd-derived object, respond to WM_ERASEBKGND
> messages.

How about just putting a window of your own into m_wndClientArea and
doing your drawing in that, then?

Goran.
0
Goran
7/1/2010 11:25:12 AM

"Goran" <goran.pusic@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Jun 25, 5:14 pm, "David Webber" <d...@musical-dot-demon-dot-co.uk>
> wrote:

>> Is there any easy way of overriding the responses to some messages to a
>> CWnd-derived object buried deep within MFC?

> How about just putting a window of your own into m_wndClientArea and
> doing your drawing in that, then?

Unfortunately the m_wndClientArea being difficult to get at, I suspect it
would be diificult to give it children.    Surely getting at its
WM_ERASEBKGD should be easier?   But thanks for the idea - a bit of lateral
thought is always welcome :-)

Dave

--
David Webber
Mozart Music Software
http://www.mozart.co.uk
For discussion and support see

David

PB 5.0 on Windows 7 (x64)
Hi, We are having problems installing PB5 on a pc with Windows 7 x64. The installations fails at the end and the installation rolls back. (Before the PB installtion Visual 2005 and 2008 had been successfully installed on the pc.) Is it possible installing/running PB5 on Windows 7 x64? If not, is the problem x64 or Windows 7. I've seen reports of problems on Windows Vista x64. Thanks, Jojje See this post regarding PB6. I presume that PB5 has a similar problem. http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsce.platbuilder/brows= e_thread/thread/f8d26b911240e6bb/2...

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP
Last night I was going about my regular buisness of (after work) getting on and vegging in fron of my laptop while I watch TV. An update came around (mind you everything was working fine yesterday) which was: Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP (KB980182). Now for some reason I can't access yahoo.com or lotro.com? These two sites are the only ones that I can't seem to access for some reason? I have tried to search for malicious spyware and viruses nothing comes across (McAfee, and Malewarebytes) I have tried to System restore to a date I ...

How to keep MDI window size while cascading?
My application sets all MDI child windows to new size while cascading. What can I do to keep their sizes? ...

Windows Service won't start
Hi all, I going thru the MCSD course and I am creating a Windows Service. The Service compiles with no errors and I can install it using "Installutil" with no problem. But when I go into Services and try to start it I get the following error message. "Could not start the RemoteAccessAgent service on Local Computer. Error 193: 0xc1" Does anyone know what this is and how to fix this? Thanks in advance for your reply. Larry Hurlbert --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.556 / Virus Database: 348 ...

Outlook 2003 won't start under Windows 7
Reinstalled Office 2003 after converting to W7. This error message appears immediately after starting OL: "Unable to open your default e-mail folders. The information store could not be opened." Try; Start Run Outlook.exe /resetnavpane (space between exe /) "Kay" <Kay@kayknapp.com> wrote in message news:eYf7cZufKHA.2184@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Reinstalled Office 2003 after converting to W7. This error message > appears immediately after starting OL: > > "Unable to open your default e-mail folders. The information store ...

Windows Vista File Backup / Restore
Can anyone help. I've had a drive partition fail and, after a couple of days work (and a new drive), need to restore ALL the files from the original partition from my backup(s). I'm not clear how I do this... I assume Vista does Incremental Backups between Full Backups...? In which case I need to restore my (most recent) Full Backup followed by my Last Backup? Only problem is, I cant see, from the Vista Restore utility, which was my most recent Full Backup! Help. Thanks Mark ...

mfc changes
I'm thinking of getting this book at the library: Developing professional applications in Windows 95 and NT using MFC / Marshall Brain, Lance Lovette. Prentice Hall PTR, c1997. Will this be a worthwhile resource, or have there been too many mfc changes since it was written? While the basics of MFC really hasnt changed, it may be dated. It depends upon what version of MFC it uses. If its with MFC4.2 that shipped with VC6, its very relevant even today. Even VC5 is OK. If you are looking for a book, Jeff Prosise's book is the one to get for MFC. ---- Ajay Kalra ajaykalra@yahoo.com ...

Windows Media Center ??
Is it possible to run windows Media center under windows xp- pro ? The links that I can find seem to want you to up grade to windows 7 ... there are some old posts to downloads for the center .. but these seem to be now upgraded to windows 7 I have a hap TV card .. which requires the media center to use the dual tuner facility .. not - windows media player .. this is not suitable tnx - G . WinXP MCE and WinXP Pro are pretty much (but not quite) the same thing. If your hardware is compatible, you might consider "upgrading" to ...

KB 91185 won't install from Windows Update
Like a few questions before this one, the 'HID non-user input data filter' updates {2 of them} seem to fail. I did hide them, but now it seems the 2 USB ports on the outside of my tower, no longer work! The 2 on the back of the tower work: they have an optical keyoboard and a printer...both work. When I use devmgmt.msc and disable them, nothing. Then I enable and 'scan for hardware changes', and it seems to put them 'back', but then says there's an error with the ''HID non-user input data filter' again? So I guess I need the fixes, but.....

difficult parent window problem in CDialog::Create / ::AfxGetMainWnd
I am creating two modeless dialogs which are first not displayed. In the constructor of the dialogs I call CDialog::Create(IDD,pParent). When I create the dialogs, I don't have any parent window, because I first only store data there, so I supply NULL as parent window. Later I'll show one of the two dialogs using ShowWindow(SW_SHOWNORMAL). In a new instance I'm doing the same again (create two dialogs, NULL as parent). Then I show one of them. The problem is now that when the first active window closes, then the window of the new instance also closes. As I found out, CDialo...

Windows browser Parent/Child structure
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0014_01C71608.002B0FC0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Is it possible to setup a cell structure such that when I click on it a = "Windows browser Parent/Child structure" opens and closes? Similar to the folders with the "-" and "+" signs of the browser? His = means that an entire set of rows appear or disappear by clicking on the = cell? If so, could you please point me in the right direction so I can do = this. Thanks Erich ...

adding a event handler in MFC application for c# event
Hello all, Im trying to call my .net c# library functions from my unmanaged vc++(dialog based MFC) application . From that application i want add the event handler for the event generated in c# dll so how to do that Here is my code.. #using <mscorlib.dll> #using "ircConnect.dll" //This is the c# dll reference __gc class GlobalObjects { #pragma push_macro("new") #undef new public: static ircConnect::IrcConnection *iIRC =new ircConnect::IrcConnection(); public: __event ircConnect::IrcConnection::MessageEventHandler* MessageIncome; #pragma pop_macro(...

Microsoft Exchange options missing from the windows backup utility
Im trying to use ntbackup installed in serverA (windows 2003) to backup a exchange server in serverB (windows 2003 SP1) A Exchange Servers Folder doesnt appear in ntbackup, then I have Exchange System Manager in serverA installed but still..the Exchange Servers Folder doesn't appear. some idea ? does the account you're logged on with have sufficient Exchange permissions? -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Alexander Wolff" <AlexanderWolff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A7FFD6EA-10CA-42C2-9A46-92EED4FA16E2@microsoft.com... > Im trying to use ntbackup i...

windows live e-mail problem
Just recently, I can't drag my e-mails from my inbox to my folders. How do I fix this problem?? I'm using Winsows 7 I'm having similar issues. I can't drag. I can't delete. When I try, I get the same error message "an unknown error has occurred". And I only have this problem with my MSN email accounts. Anyone have any ideas on how to correct this? "nittenkitten" wrote: > Just recently, I can't drag my e-mails from my inbox to my folders. How do I > fix this problem?? I'm using Winsows 7 On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 20:34:...

Windows Mail stopped connecting to the server
Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Server: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F Vista x64 Ultimate overnight windows mail stopped connecting to the server. I installed C# express, VB Express, Python 2.6, and VB6 run times last night. I've tried disabling all virus scanning on the off chance that was blocking itbut no luck. Anyone got any ideas? The...

Async calls to WebService in MFC
Hey guys, I use a webservice over the net which is scripted in VB.Net. This web service receives a username and a password and returns a string structure with multiples infos. If the string is empty, I had the wrong username and/or password. Pretty simple isn't? Ok now the problem is a bit more complex. I'm using an MFC client to connect to these web services, and since they're on the internet, there's a delay between sending the data and receiving an answer. I don't know really how I can tell me client to "wait for the string". The wrapper MFC created for the w...

help needed splitter window
hi I want to show 7 panes in splitter windows. seperate views in each pane. I know only up to 4 panes can anybody help me with regards Harish hi I want to show 7 raws and 1 col. can anybody help me with regards Harish "Harish" <harish.k at sify.com> wrote in message news:e5#nJVJ8DHA.3112@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > hi > > I want to show 7 panes in splitter windows. > seperate views in each pane. I know only up to 4 panes > > can anybody help me > > with regards > Harish > > > Harish wrote: > hi > I want to show 7 raws and...

Moving from Windows
I'm about to buy my first Mac--dual core, either portable or desktop. As a longtime Windows user I'm just wondering about the many Office files I have on my current system. Will they, basically, be "readable" on the Mac version of Office if I buy whatever the current version is? Having heard that a lot of Mac programs can read Windows files, I'm thinking of buying a large external hard drive and copying all of my files over to it for later use on the Mac if this is possible. Is it? Thanks, Tim Yes it is. Get Office 2004 for Mac, it should be able to handle ...

Migrating from MFC 7 to 8 (error C2440)
Hello everybody. I'am migrating a project from MFC 7 to 8, and the compiler gives me the error: ....\MyCode.cpp(53) : error C2440: 'static_cast' : cannot convert from 'UINT (__thiscall CMyDerivedCwndClass::* )(CPoint)' to 'LRESULT (__thiscall CWnd::* )(CPoint)' Cast from base to derived requires dynamic_cast or static_cast The error is in the message map: BEGIN_MESSAGE_MAP(CMyDerivedCwndClass, CWnd) //{{AFX_MSG_MAP(CMyDerivedCwndClass) ON_WM_NCHITTEST() //Here is the error!!! //}}AFX_MSG_MAP END_MESSAGE_MAP() I need the MFC 7 version too, so, the c...

Book for a windows/c++/mfc beginner...
Hi, I have previous coding experience, but not in the windows environment and not in C/C++. I have just got a copy of MS Visual C++ Express and want to learn how to code C++ for Windows. As I understand it I need to use MFC for the windows stuff, and without it Visual C++ would just be command prompt based? Is that correct? If so then I need a book that teaches me MFC and C++, preferably in the Visual C++ environment... Which is the best book/books for this? Thanks. anon418600J5 wrote: > Hi, > > I have previous coding experience, but not in the windows environment and...

Word file is not opening. Windows cannot find it..
While using word on my computer I have been getting this message. Windows cannot find 'C: /Users/XXXXXX/Desktop/Folder name/Resume.docx' (XXXXXX to protect name). Make sure you type the name correctly, and then try again. The only way I can get it open is to open word then select the file again from its location. Any help would be appreciated. Do you have any add-ins installed? Try running Word in Safe Mode to see if that resolves the problem, then remove any problematic add-ins. You can open any Office or Office family program in Office Safe Mode by pressing CTRL whi...

Unable to send messages in Outbox of Windows Mail
I get error message "Unable to find Google" I have correctly set up for Pop3 account (I think) with default port etc. I can receive messages sent from Google or other sources but they go into the Outbox of Windows mail. That's as far as I can get. What am I doing wrong or failing to do??? "Dodobird" <Dodobird@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FA472169-B5A6-440F-AAC6-EAF72174C3C6@microsoft.com... >I get error message "Unable to find Google" I have correctly set up for >Pop3 > account (I think) with default port etc. I can r...

how to put up 5 PCs with Windows XP and 7?
Hi, I have 3 PCs with Windows XP and 2 windows pc 7. I find it difficult to network to share folders between them. How can I network? thanks ... ...

Windows update installation problem under Windows 7 64 bit
This morning I noticed a message in the Action Center saying that there had been a "Windows Update installation problem" dated two days ago. A Windows update did not install properly, it said. I checked my system and application logs for the past week and found no error messages. I checked Windows Update history and I did an update for Internet Explorer 8 on 1/23, two days earlier, that it said completed successfully. I do see there is an Internet Explorer 8 update to be installed.still and am assuming that must be *again*? So I am confused. Do I have a problem or not? How do...

Windows Email Programs
Are there two different Windows Mail programs --- or just one? Windows Mail versus Window Live Mail ?? Two different mail programs.=20 Windows Live Mail is a free download, and it runs on Windows XP,=20 Vista, and Windows 7. Windows Mail is not a download, it is included with Vista and only=20 runs on Vista.=20 --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) Microsoft MVP Program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com "BryceV" <BryceV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:07A027BC-E562-41E4-B7AB-4179B33CA561@microsoft.com... > Are there two differen...