Word Crash

Version: 2008

I have a Word merge file, data is in a Filemaker file, and every time I try to save the file Word crashes.
0
AnnB

Hi Ann:

Maggie the document.

The Maggie:

1. Create a new blank document
2. Carefully select all of the text in the bad document EXCEPT the last
paragraph mark
3. Copy it.
4. Paste in the new document.
5. Save under a new file name and close all, then re-open.

This technique for de-corrupting is known as "Doing a 'Maggie'", after
Margaret Secara from the TECHWR-L mailing list, who first publicised the
technique.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but this forum is NOT Twitter.  If you
give more detail, you will get more helpful responses.

Cheers

On 24/03/10 8:28 AM, in article 59bb5cdb.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"AnnB@officeformac.com" <AnnB@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I have a Word
> merge file, data is in a Filemaker file, and every time I try to save the file
> Word crashes.

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John
3/25/2010 12:29:48 AM
> Hi Ann: <br>
> Maggie the document. <br>
> The Maggie: <br>
> 1. Create a new blank document <br>
> 2. Carefully select all of the text in the bad document EXCEPT the last <br>
> paragraph mark  <br>
> 3. Copy it.  <br>
> 4. Paste in the new document. <br>
> 5. Save under a new file name and close all, then re-open. <br>
> This technique for de-corrupting is known as &quot;Doing a 'Maggie'&quot;, after <br>
> Margaret Secara from the TECHWR-L mailing list, who first publicised the <br>
> technique. <br>
> Please don't take this the wrong way, but this forum is NOT Twitter.  If you <br>
> give more detail, you will get more helpful responses. <br>
> Cheers <br>
> On 24/03/10 8:28 AM, in article 59bb5cdb.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, <br>
> &quot;AnnB@officeformac.com&quot;  wrote: <br>
> > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I have a Word <br>
> > merge file, data is in a Filemaker file, and every time I try to save the file <br>
> > Word crashes. <br>
>  -- <br>
> The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum <br>
> matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay! <br>
> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer, <br>
> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd <br>
> Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410 | mailto:john@mcghie.name <br>
> Thank you, John.  I will try this method; however, what did work which was published on this forum sometime in the summer of 2009 as I recall, was to simply save the merged document as a .doc rather than a .docx. <br>

0
AnnB
3/25/2010 4:41:48 PM
If it works in .doc but not in .docx, and all your updates are in place,
then it's a bug and we'd like a sample to send to Microsoft...

Cheers

On 26/03/10 3:41 AM, in article 59bb5cdb.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"AnnB@officeformac.com" <AnnB@officeformac.com> wrote:

>> Hi Ann:
>>
>> Maggie the document.
>>
>> The Maggie:
>>
>> 1. Create a new blank document
>> 2. Carefully select all of the text in the bad document EXCEPT the last
>> paragraph mark
>> 3. Copy it.
>> 4. Paste in the new document.
>> 5. Save under a new file name and close all, then re-open.
>>
>> This technique for de-corrupting is known as "Doing a 'Maggie'", after
>> Margaret Secara from the TECHWR-L mailing list, who first publicised the
>> technique.
>>
>> Please don't take this the wrong way, but this forum is NOT Twitter.  If you
>> give more detail, you will get more helpful responses.
>>
>> Cheers
>>

>> On 24/03/10 8:28 AM, in article 59bb5cdb.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
>> "AnnB@officeformac.com"  wrote:
>>
>>> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I have a Word
>>> merge file, data is in a Filemaker file, and every time I try to save the
>>> file
>>> Word crashes.
>>
>>  --
>>
>> The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
>> matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay!
>>
>> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,
>> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
>> Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410 | mailto:john@mcghie.name
>>
>> Thank you, John.  I will try this method; however, what did work which was
>> published on this forum sometime in the summer of 2009 as I recall, was to
>> simply save the merged document as a .doc rather than a .docx.

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John

1 word doc, multiple tabs
Other people have referenced a tabbed view to be able to view multiple documents at one time. Really Windows 7 taskbar takes care of this. I, on the other hand, want to see multiple tabs within 1 document like Excel. Example of use: I'm thinking about writing a book, and I have SEVERAL scenes in my head. Right now I would have to create SEVERAL word documents to get them all down, then create a main document and copy and paste stuff back and forth as I write. With a single tabbed document, I could write all my scenes as individual tabs, then "link" them to the m...

Bottom border line won't print in Word 2004 for Mac
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel On the screen I can place a page border in Word 2004 for Mac document, but in Print Preview the bottom line of the border disappears. And, of course, when I print, the bottom line won't appear. It doesn't appear that any footer (which I don't want) is in the way of the margin that I have set. Any solution to this? See: http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/BottomsDontPrint.htm Also confirm that you have the latest printer driver from the mfr's web site as well as all current updates for Offi...

Excel to Word #3
I have just completed a userform with tons of fields. Once submitted it places the data into the worksheet. The worksheet itself has 141 columns of different values. Now I need to have some sort of code that fits into a command button from the toolbox on the actual worksheet to transfer data form each row that has data into a word document. Each row has to be it's own paragraph. Is this possible? A short sample of the data layout: Column Headers: ID Description Total Location Date Coats Labor (hrs) 20 Room Painted $500.00 Living Ro...

word docs converted to Winmail.dat
Ok I have been doing some searching and seen that this is a big issue. I am the system admin in our company and have done the setup on all the systems. We are all using Outlook 2000. All are setup as Internet Mail. One system is setup as Corporate and that one is having problems sending emails. Every word document they send is being changed to winmail.dat. I looked at the formatting and it was not set as Outlook Rich Text it was set to HTML. Conversly I have tried to create the problem on my system by using the Rich Text Formnatting and all my mail is sent and received properly. Clearly the fo...

Important Word Options to be selected in Word 2007
-- mprnair What about them? -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "mprnair" <mprnair@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:355F31FF-4AAB-4ED6-B326-88FA301C0EED@microsoft.com... > > -- > mprnair > ...

Number to Word
I want to enter "1" in cell a1 and i want "annual" to populate into b1. Iwant to enter ".52" in cell a1 and i want "semi-annual to populat into b1. so on and so on. I want excel setup up so if i type 1 that it puts annual into a cell Annual, semi annual, quarterly and monthly. Is this possible?? Thanks -- 867503 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- 8675039's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1633 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27756 A VL...

Transfer a Publisher file to Word
I have made of a front page for a book in Publisher and want to copy it to the front of a Word document. It consists of a border, background, text and a jpg photo. I cannot save it as a *.pub and transfer to Word, so I am resaving in 'JPEG File Interchange Format' and transferring it that way. It goes across successfully but the text prints hairy edged. Any suggestions? -- B.Collin Transfer the images as images and the text as text. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "B.Collin" <BCollin@discussion...

Word as email editor and attachment problem
Using Outlook 2000 with Exchange Server 2000. I have a custom form published to a public folder and all is well, except for those users that have Outlook set to use Word as the e-mail editor.. They can see and use the form fine except for one thing...they can't open attachements. The attachment icon is there, but if they right-click on the icon, the only menu choice is copy. Double-click does nothing as well. If they switch the Outlook mail format to NOT use Word, attachments work fine again. Does anyone know the fix for this? Thanks in advance!!! Tyler ...

Where is print preview in Word 2010
I'm lost - where under print do I find print preview? cb4134 wrote: > I'm lost - where under print do I find print preview? Click the File tab and click Print, or just press Ctrl+P. The entire right side of the screen shows the print preview. In fact, unless you put the Quick Print button on the Quick Access Toolbar and use that, you can't avoid the print preview. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit. Jay seems to be re...

Copying and Pasting Excel Tables into Word
We do our financials in Word, and copy and paste special as enhanced metafiles the tables that we do in Excel. This works perfectly in Word 2003. In 2007 however, when we past the table and print it, the table looks different (letter spacing funny, not smooth). I have tried printing to five different printers and it still happens. I'd suggest a slightly different approach. If you insist on using enhanced metafiles, try the following: 1. Select the range that you want to copy. 2. Instead of Copy, select the dropdown under Paste>As Picture>Copy as Picture. 3...

Word wrap #2
This is driving me nuts. I'm trying to insert a picture into a text box that already contains text. I want the text to wrap around the picture, but nothing I do makes it work. What am I missing? Jeff Are you setting the wrap properties on the picture? Outline the steps you are taking, and the problem you are having/seeing. What version of Publisher? -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression "Jeff Stanton" <jstanton@hughes.net> wrote in message news:BFNyk.205$wr1.171@newsfe02.iad... > This is driving me nuts. I'm trying to ins...

webdings characters and word
hey, im trying to do a mail merge to word and one of the columns on m spreadsheet ive formatted with webdings and a "c" character cos i nee to have a box on the word page, but when i do the mail merge it jus comes up as a "c". if I format the text in word as webdings it gives m a half block kind of thing. any ideas? thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Matt In the cell is the letter c. That's it!! It's the Wingdings font that makes it look like the graphic. You'd have to format the mailmerge font to Wingdings for that letter, to get the sa...

Publisher 2007 will not open my old files
What to do? All of a sudden, my Publisher 2007 will not open any of my publisher files, even others done in publisher 2007. It crashes EVERY TIME. I have run Office Diagnostics twice, with no result. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2007 TWICE, still no change. Do I just abandon it and go back to Publisher 2003? I've run virus scans, defragged, tried other versions of these files, tried files done by others - NOTHING works. it will start a new project, but will not open an old project without crashing. Can I install Publisher 2003 and use it even though I have Office ...

SBS2008 RRAS service causes other servcies to crash
Would be VERY grateful if there is an expert eye that can be cast over my problem. I have an SBS2008 server which has been working fine for about 3 months. Just before christmas RRAS stopped So I manually started it and it stopped again. Then had a critical email notice saying all these services stopped The Application Experience service has been stopped. The Background Intelligent Transfer Service service has been stopped. The Network Policy Server service has been stopped. The IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules service has been stopped. The IP Helper service has been stoppe...

MS Word Formatting
When I start a document and use font size 36 on the first page and go to the second page and change the font it changes it on the first page. Also when I highlight a few words to bold or underline it bold or underlines everything in the whole document. Does anyone know where I change this setting?? HELP PLEASE! For Word you need to go to the Word Newsgroup. If this is an issue in Publisher with an imported Word document, you need to give substantially more information. What is the version of Windows, Publisher and Word involved. Is this a Template you are using, and what type of document...

Displaying Total Word Count on Cover Sheet
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I want to display/show the Total Word count of my document on the Cover Page, when I print my document is is there on the Cover Page. How can I do that? Is there an Auto Text or something like that that I can use? Please anyone reply please. You can use Insert> Field to insert the NumWords Field from the Document Information category. However, the field does not update automatically. You need to update it manually by clicking in the field & pressing F9, by Control/Right-Clicking the Field & selecting...

insert multiple page Word document into Excel
How do I insert a multiple page Word document into Excel so that I can view the pages by scrolling down the spreadsheet without opening or editing the Word document? Hi this is IMHO not the way Excel will work (and I doubt this is possible) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "S.W." <S.W.@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:D7087D76-A4F3-46BB-90A9-FEB054B24AEB@microsoft.com... > How do I insert a multiple page Word document into Excel so that I can view > the pages by scrolling down the spreadsheet without opening or editing the > Word doc...

missing toolbar in Word's Help screen
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC When I try to access the Help system from Word 2008 (or Excel, for that matter), there is no toolbar at the top of the Help screen--there's no Search box, Topics, Back/Forward, Home, or Print buttons. The PowerPoint Help screen, on the other hand, does have its toolbar. I'm on a Mac PowerPC G4 running OS 10.4.11. <br><br>How can I make the toolbar available for Word's and Excel's Help screens? Click the oblong button at the right end of the Help window's Title Bar. HTH |:>) ...

Opening address book in Word to print labels & envelopes
When I try to open the address book in Word to print labels, I get a notice to log onto Microsoft Exchange. I do not understand what to do??? Post your Outlook version. Post the mail accounts you have configured for Outlook. State whether you have added the Outlook Address Book to your Outlook Profile. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Dolores" <fischere@midwestis.net> wrote in message news:25BF4DED-58CC-49B5-8DD0-2D8482BE6BC2@microsoft.com... > When I try to open the address book in Word to print labels, I get a notice to log onto Microsoft Exchange. I do not understand...

word document erased and saved
Have a user (office 2007, vista business) who is working on a document. Something happens and document is cleared and saved as blank document. Is there any scenario (apart from operator error) explaining this? I take it you have checked that the text hasn't been inadvertently formatted as hidden or in white color? -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "dcovington" <dcovington@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2AE949F5-0928-4AF8-AB1C-12968D34B14B@microsoft.com... > Have a user (office 2007, vista business) who is working on a document....

import from word
I can import a large document from word, but I'd like to format all of the pages at once, rather than one page at a time. I created a master page with the right formatting, but I can't get all of the text to go into that at the same time. How do I change the formatting for all the pages (and text boxes) at the same time? Or, how can I select all of the text and copy and paste it into the text boxes created with the master page? Thanks Create one text box with the page margins correctly arranged to your specifications. (Why the Master page?). Select the text box, right-click, ...

uninstall fonts in Word 2003
How can I uninstall fonts from the drop down menu in this program? There are too many to choose from and I don't use most of them... hate looking through the list each time I want to change fonts. If they're fonts you're never going to use anyway, you Delete them from the Fonts folder in Start > Control Panel. (But if they weren't stored somewhere else in your computer and installed from there, you should move them to a storage folder instead, so that when you do want them back, you can Install them again.) In Word2007, recently used fonts appear in a group at t...

microsoft word activating
hi I don't know if this is the right group to answer this but here goes I installed microsoft word and put in an incorrect name to be licensed to Now a box comes up and it will not activate How can I change the license name on the license agreement that one fills in at the beginning thanks ...

Word 2007
I have been having the same error today trying to save a document. I have tried with different computers, so I am pretty sure that the problem is not only in my computer. Also, I have been reading that more people are having the same problem problem but no solution has been found. When does the problem occur? Trying to save a document with Word 2007. With all the documents? No. I can save some documents, but some others not. You might be able to recreate the same problem doing those steps: 1. Create New Document. 2. Start a numbering list. Write something 3. SHIFT+Enter ...

Pasting Excel chart into Word loses formatting
How can I paste an .xls chart into Word and retain the formatting? I tried copying and pasting (with Paste Special and regular Paste) and I am losing the line spacing when the chart displays in Word. Is there any way to gain control over this? Hi, What do you mean by line spacing? what version of Excel are you using? One why is to insert as Excel Chart or Worksheet Object. Another general rule is to create a default size chart in Excel, don't resize it. Then copy and paste it. -- If this helps, please click the Yes button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire "Sandra" wrote: ...