You cannot install Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.0.1 Update on this volume

Version: 2008
Processor: intel

This error message comes up when trying to load on the 12.0.1 upgrade.

"You cannot install Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.0.1 Update on this volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume."

I have tried re-installing 2008 again and also all the other recommendations offered by Microsoft, but to no avail.

Any ideas?

It sounds to me like you don't yet have the 2.1.1 update to AutoUpdate which
is required to install the Office 12.0.1 update. Download & apply it first:

<http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.mspx?pid=Mactopia_Office2008&fid=31B
C88ED-DF2D-471A-B4B5-66C2A51C8BEA#viewer>

BTW - NEVER reinstall Office in an attempt to correct a problem except as a
last resort unless you *know* without a doubt that it is the appropriate
solution. Even then a proper un-install using Remove Office needs to be done
first. The only files that get replaced (if any) are ones that aren't
responsible for the problem. Fixes usually involve support files that don't
get replaced & reinstalling can actually compound the issue.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 5/12/08 10:50 AM, in article ee9b239.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"deaningall@officeformac.com" <deaningall@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2008
> Processor: intel
>
> This error message comes up when trying to load on the 12.0.1 upgrade.
>
> "You cannot install Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.0.1 Update on this
> volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not
> found on this volume."
>
> I have tried re-installing 2008 again and also all the other recommendations
> offered by Microsoft, but to no avail.
>
> Any ideas?

Same issue for me. Reinstalled Office for Mac at recommendation of Apple Store Mac Genius. I updated to the new installer as you suggested. Same issue.

Installer message...

"Searching additional volumes..."

Ends with Red Exclamation point and message...

"You cannot install Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.0.1 Update on this volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume."
0
brad1249 (4)
5/12/2008 6:23:44 PM
Hi Brad -

I sure hope all you folks have been going to the same Apple store - it would
be reassuring to believe that all the misinformation is emanating from only
one source rather than being widespread:-)

Your case sounds a little more involved, so try the method described here:

http://www.entourage.mvps.org/install/update.html#update_fails

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 5/12/08 2:23 PM, in article ee9b239.1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Brad
Baldwin" <brad@bradbaldwin.com> wrote:

> Same issue for me. Reinstalled Office for Mac at recommendation of Apple Store
> Mac Genius. I updated to the new installer as you suggested. Same issue.
>
> Installer message...
>
> "Searching additional volumes..."
>
> Ends with Red Exclamation point and message...
>
> "You cannot install Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.0.1 Update on this
> volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not
> found on this volume."

deaningall@officeformac.com wrote:

> This error message comes up when trying to load on the 12.0.1
> upgrade.
>
> "You cannot install Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.0.1 Update on
> this volume. A version of the software required to install this
> update was not found on this volume."
>
> I have tried re-installing 2008 again and also all the other
> recommendations offered by Microsoft, but to no avail.

Have a look at this blog post:

"Workaround when Updater fails"
<http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2008/05/workaround_when_updater_fails.html>

Hope this helps!

--

bill

William M. Smith, Microsoft Interop MVP - Mac/Windows
Entourage Help Page <http://entourage.mvps.org/>
mecklists1 (142)
5/13/2008 1:55:09 AM
Another idea to help trigger for suggestions.

This install was purchased as an upgrade from Office 2004. I originally installed and Office 2004 was removed at the end of the install process. Is there any reason that this install would be looking for an instance of Office 2004 before applying the update?

> So my idea of "Genius" is crushed, eh?
>
> I have copied install to desktop, ejected DMG. Auto Update 2.1.1 installs correctly (confirm with About dialog showing correct version).
>
> However, I have no such luck when following prescribed suggestion to run install from my desktop (followed directions). The install application takes a very long time while it is checking for volumes to apply update to. Evently fails with same message:
>
> "You cannot install Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.0.1 Update on this volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume."
>
> I downloaded and ran your script. I get the following:
>
> Last update applied: Saturday, December 1, 2007 1
>
> Microsoft Entourage.app: 12.0.0
> Microsoft Excel.app: 12.0.0
> Microsoft Word.app: 12.0.0
> Microsoft PowerPoint.app: 12.0.0
> Microsoft Messenger.app: 6.0.3
> MicrosoftComponentPlugin:Saturday, December 1, 2007 1:49:30 AM
> Junk E-Mail Protection:Saturday, December 1, 2007 2:27:09 AM
> Mac OS X 10.5.2 (9C7010)
>
> What Next?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> > Hi Brad -
> >
> > I sure hope all you folks have been going to the same Apple store - it would
> > be reassuring to believe that all the misinformation is emanating from only
> > one source rather than being widespread:-)
> >
> > Your case sounds a little more involved, so try the method described here:
> >
> > <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/install/update.html#update_fails>
> >
> > HTH |:>)
> > Bob Jones
> > [MVP] Office:Mac
> >

> > On 5/12/08 2:23 PM, in article ee9b239.1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Brad
> > Baldwin" wrote:
> >
> > > Same issue for me. Reinstalled Office for Mac at recommendation of Apple Store
> > > Mac Genius. I updated to the new installer as you suggested. Same issue.
> > >
> > > Installer message...
> > >
> > > "Searching additional volumes..."
> > >
> > > Ends with Red Exclamation point and message...
> > >
> > > "You cannot install Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.0.1 Update on this
> > > volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not
> > > found on this volume."

0
brad1249 (4)
5/13/2008 4:56:00 AM
I have tried all the suggestions above, but still to no avail......

I have done the same as Brad and others on the forum, not sure what else to try now?

Any other ideas, guys? (Please)

Keep smiling :)
Any next steps? Should I completely UNINSTALL / REMOVE and start over? I really would like to get this working.

Thanks,

Brad
0
brad1249 (4)
5/13/2008 10:40:03 PM
"deaningall@officeformac.com" wrote:

> I have tried all the suggestions above, but still to no avail......

Try the new 12.1.0 SP1

<http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2008/05/office_2008_sp1_update_1210.html>

In case the above link does not work:

<http://tinyurl.com/3fukme>

--
Diane

0
diane7495 (1195)
5/13/2008 10:57:41 PM
Wow, i have downloaded the new 12.1.0 SP1 (many thanks Diane for the push in the right direction) and it works like a dream. 1st time, no problems whatsoever.

Microsoft have listened at last to us all.

Many thanks to all for your help on this.

Keep the faith.....
HURRAY! I'm alive and well. Thanks All. Thanks MSFT!
0
brad1249 (4)
5/14/2008 4:32:33 PM
get the same error message when trying to install SP1 12.1.0.:

"You cannot install Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.1.0 Update on this volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume."
"J._Lane_Randolph_II@officeformac.com" wrote:

> get the same error message when trying to install SP1 12.1.0.:
>
> "You cannot install Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.1.0 Update on this
> volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not
> found on this volume."
<http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2008/05/hot_topics_after_installing_sp1.html

In case the above link does not work:

<http://tinyurl.com/54cyuk>

--
Diane

0
diane7495 (1195)
5/19/2008 10:30:52 PM
On May 19, 5:30=A0pm, Diane Ross <di...@invalid.entourage.mvps.org>
wrote:
> "J._Lane_Randolph...@officeformac.com" wrote:
> > get the same error message when trying toinstallSP112.1.0.:
>
> > "YoucannotinstallMicrosoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.1.0 Update on this
> > volume. A version of the software required toinstallthis update was not
> > found on this volume."
>
> <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2008/05/hot_topics_after_installing_sp...
>

> In case the above link does not work:
>
> <http://tinyurl.com/54cyuk>
>
> --
> Diane

Has there been any resolution to this problem?  I have tried the work-
around, and it still does not work.

POS.
0
yerilopez (1)
5/21/2008 3:17:05 PM
The auto update arrived on my desktop today and guess what-it cannot be installed-I have read the thread and its the same problem as others are having. What puzzles me is Microsoft has recognized I have Office 2008 to send me the update notification and then tells me I do not have Office 2008 when I attempt to install it!

PeterG
"PeterG Howard" wrote:

> The auto update arrived on my desktop today and guess what-it cannot be
> installed-I have read the thread and its the same problem as others are
> having. What puzzles me is Microsoft has recognized I have Office 2008 to send
> me the update notification and then tells me I do not have Office 2008 when I
> attempt to install it!

See the fixes here:

Hot Topics after installing SP1

<http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2008/05/hot_topics_after_installing_sp1.html

In case the above link does not work:

<http://tinyurl.com/54cyuk>

--
Diane

0
diane7495 (1195)
5/21/2008 9:34:16 PM
"wayrachaki" wrote:

> Has there been any resolution to this problem?  I have tried the work-
> around, and it still does not work.

Just to be clear....You dragged the installer to the desktop and tried to
install from that installer?

Let's eliminate user error.....

> Update version numbering 12.1.0 and 12.0.1 are apparently confusing some users
> trying to update to Office for Mac SP1 via Mactopia Downloads.
>
> If you receive this error, be sure you have downloaded the correct updater.
>
> File Name: Office2008-1210UpdateEN.dmg
> Version: 12.1.0
> Date Published: 5/13/2008

Have you.....

> Modified Office in any way? Like remove Languages from your computer.
>
> Installed Monolingual or Safari fix??
>
> Moved Office from the root Library folder.

Tips:

Apply the latest Apple Combo updater. It will overwrite files that might
have become corrupt. This could help your Office install.

Insert the Office install DVD and run the installer again over your current
install. If that fails...

1.  Log out/in with Shift key held down to disable all applications
2.  Run "Remove Office"..."Remove Office" can be found in the Additional
Tools folder inside the Office 2008 folder.  /Applications/Microsoft Office
2008/Additional Tools/Remove Office/Remove Office.app
3. Go to Library/Receipts folder and remove any Microsoft packages
remaining.
4. Insert your Office 2008 DVD and install
5. Restart
6. AutoUpdate to SP1
7. Restart
8. Run Repair Permissions from Disk Utility

Let me know if any of this helps.

--
Diane

0
diane7495 (1195)
5/21/2008 9:36:32 PM
OK - so have you attempted any of the solutions offered in this same thread?
If not, that's where to start.

If you have tried them & they didn't work there must be something
*different* about your situation. If that's the case, post a NEW message
rather than tagging on to this one - your issue will just get lost within
the pile otherwise. Please specify what you've tried & what the result of
each effort was. We also need to know what version of OS X you're running as
well as what type of Mac you have.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 5/19/08 3:11 PM, in article ee9b239.12@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"J._Lane_Randolph_II@officeformac.com"
<J._Lane_Randolph_II@officeformac.com> wrote:

> get the same error message when trying to install SP1 12.1.0.:
>
> "You cannot install Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.1.0 Update on this
> volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not
> found on this volume."

As I suggested to the poster that preceded yours, all known solutions are
documented within this same thread as well as several others. If you haven't
tried the suggestions offered here that's the place to start. "Read the
thread" won't solve the problem, you need to implement the suggestions:-)
They've worked for everyone so far, so if your issue actually *is* the same
they should work for you equally well.

If you have tried them all with no success your issue must involve different
circumstances in which case you'll be far better off submitting a NEW post
providing all particulars including what remedies you've tried & what the
results were. Otherwise you just get entangled & lost among the other
messages by jumping into a lengthy thread like this.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 5/21/08 4:01 PM, in article ee9b239.15@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "PeterG
Howard" <peterhoward@metronet.co.uk> wrote:

> The auto update arrived on my desktop today and guess what-it cannot be
> installed-I have read the thread and its the same problem as others are
> having. What puzzles me is Microsoft has recognized I have Office 2008 to send
> me the update notification and then tells me I do not have Office 2008 when I
> attempt to install it!
>
> PeterG

office 2003 w/ windows 7 requires reacceptance ot T&C's each time
office 2003 w/ windows 7 requires reacceptance of T&C's each time i open work or excell or any office program. How do I get rid of this? Boot into Safe mode in Windows 7,open any Office app and then accept the terms -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "mouser830" <mouser830@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E7B7602D-F5D8-4559-98EF-A2CCC1E2D6FD@microsoft.com... > office 2003 w/ windows 7 requires reacceptance of T&C's each time i op...

Microsoft CRM using Firefox
Hello, Would anyone by chance know if CRM will work correctly on Firefox. Currently, I have employees that are using Firefox and are encountering the same issue as IE [Internet Explorer bombs out and states that it has encountered problems...]. I am just having employees use IE to prevent problem. Thank you for your comments in advance. Install a Firefox extension called IETab "Marcos" <Marcos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:19B93E29-757D-46FF-B747-A17EB112ED94@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > Would anyone by chance know if CRM will work cor...

Update Manager
Everytime I boot up my PC a small window pops up entitled "UPDATE MANAGER". It shows two progress bars, but nothing ever happens. Why is this window popping up every tiem I turn on the computer and how do I get it to stop? It never used to do this, it just statred lately. Thankyou. tony Because you installed something which features an update manager "Omaha Tony" <OmahaTony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A08659C0-1560-4E8C-8A1C-76A5B1DBB1F8@microsoft.com... > Everytime I boot up my PC a small window pops up entitled "UP...

Microsoft Outlook 2002 #3
How can I allow Level 1 files into Outlook 2002, I keep getting the following message "Outlook blocked access to the following potentially unsafe attachments" Thanks, Stephen Some options here http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm "spike" <stephen@just4u.ie> wrote in message news:090201c35c10$19100be0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > How can I allow Level 1 files into Outlook 2002, I keep > getting the following message "Outlook blocked access to > the following potentially unsafe attachments" > > Thanks, > > Stephen ...

Outlook 2000 doesn't respond after downloading MS update!!
Luckily, my Outlook Express seems to work, but my Outlook 2000 will open, but if I click on a message or do Anything, it FREEZES. HELP!! I rely on calendar functions, other things. HOW could MS allow an update that screws up their own programs? I did restore - to no avail. I lent CD to someone, so can't do "repair." (Trying to get a hold of friend) Please help! I'm in process of job hunt & really need Outlook to function... Thanks, Sherry Did you recently apply SP3 for Office/Outlook 2000 and is Outlook 2000 configured in Internet Mail Only mode? If yes, you...

Installed Second Exchange 2007SP1
I have ABC domain with two Sites STL and GVL. I had my exchange server 2007SP1 installed in STL. Now GVL installed a Exchange 2007SP1 server. All looks good but I get the following error message from time to time in the EMC on my Server in STL. There is a Firewall between us should there be some ports open for them to communicate. Thanks for your help! -------------------------------------------------------- Microsoft Exchange Error -------------------------------------------------------- The following error(s) were reported while loading topology information: Get-ActiveSync...

Microsoft Money 2007 Deluxe Canadian version?
I have been looking for Microsoft Money 2007 Deluxe Canadian version and I cannot find it. Where can I get one? There isn't one. See http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/422.aspx -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for. "masai" <masai_chadi@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:op.tm81u5pvdvcnul@dikutoto.gv.shawcable.net... >I have been looking for Microsoft Money 2007 Deluxe Canadian version and I >ca...

Check correction patch for Microsoft Windows
--jgfiyombh Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="kgqnlddpakhbjo"; type="multipart/alternative" --kgqnlddpakhbjo Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="pdizbrrdstws" --pdizbrrdstws Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to maintain the securit...

Out-of-office twin replies

4.0 Acceleration Software?
Have heard tell of a software "maybe called accelerate" that can be installed on the CRM server, which will increase speed and performance. My clients are complaining of slowness since crm has been installed. They all use Outlook client for desktop, and say there is a definite latency. I've been searching the web, but coming up empty on a software for this. Is it an urban myth or a secret that needs to be be shared? ...

Office 2007 trial is very slow. Is this because it's a trial
I just started using the trial version of Office 2007. It takes forever for it to open on my computer but Office 2003 opens just fine. Is this just because it's a trial or is it naturally slow because of the additional features? It's likely due to the expanded feature set and increased hardware requirement over Office 2003. rtappan wrote: > I just started using the trial version of Office 2007. It takes forever for > it to open on my computer but Office 2003 opens just fine. Is this just > because it's a trial or is it naturally slow because of the ad...

08 Mac Office activation problems
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Just found an article posted by michellec and I am faced with exactly the same problem - on 'activation' of the product, none of the 3 product keys seem to be correct, hence activation is unsuccessful!! Have received some help emails (and thanks Diana yours had the microsoft help number that has been good, despite the fact they can't help me and tell me I must get in touch with Digital River) but seems that what I need is another product key, and now that I'm asking for that since about 10 days, I don't get any reply ...

Office 2007 SP2
Has anyone else lost the little check box which is usually found next to each task in the task list in Outlook today? I'm assuming it's a bug? C. "Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell" <seegod1@cogeco.ca> wrote in message news:ejYOAzcyJHA.4632@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Has anyone else lost the little check box which is usually found next to > each task in the task list in Outlook today? I'm assuming it's a bug? > Nope - still there... -- Asking a question? Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about, your OS, Service Pack level...

Office 2010 Buying Question Assistance Needed
I've been looking through the MS Office 2010 web site to try to determine what my new small company would require, but I can't find the information I need. We for sure would need Office Pro Plus, but other than that I'm not sure. We want to run it on our own server. We will initially have 3-5 people using it and perhaps more later on. Would we need to purchase site licensing? Unfortunately, our programmers are MS haters (I'm not) and I can't get any assistance from them on this, but I have power of the pen. I would appreciate any assistance I can get. Th...

Error Code 80070424 12-21-09
I keep getting this Windows update error every time I boot my PC. In the window, it says Windows can't check for updates. Does anyone have any ideas? Recently I installed BitTorrent so could that be my problem? "Norm" <Norm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D2E5CF0C-D31B-4034-B4A8-A8204763A623@microsoft.com... > I keep getting this Windows update error every time I boot my PC. In the > window, it says Windows can't check for updates. Does anyone have any > ideas? > > Recently I installed BitTorrent so could that be my proble...

Send 1 address to 2 mailboxes
I want to create an address and have any mail sent to that address delivered to two separate users' mailboxes. How can I do that. I've tried simply adding the address in the two users' "Email Addresses" tab in the User's properties of ADU&C. But it wouldn't allow me to add the same address to the second user ("This email address already exists in this organization"). I've also tried creating a new user for the address and forwarding the email to the 2 other users (Exchange General tab - Delivery Options button - Forward To field). But ...

Installation errors. 01-09-04
I'm setting up CRM 1.2 on a completely clean test environment of windows 2000 servers. Near the end of the installation a message pops up "Setup was unable to register the security service." What could be causing this The usual story: To get the MCCRMSecurityService starting, have you tried re-registering it as follows: On your crm server, at command prompt, go to program files - microsoft crm - bin, then run these commands crmsecurityservice -u crmsecurityservice -r -s Peter Lynch "J. Bridger" <Bridger@nospam.ofllc.com> wrote in message news:0aa001c3d6...

Update Query
Access 2003 XP SP2 I am having a problem with an update query. Table is in a one-to-one relationship, referentail integrity and cascading data are checked. (The fileds I want to update are not in both tables) Table name= payForward Has 15 fields ie: ID, Name, MemID, Oct , Nov, Dec, etc Oct-Sep fields are yes/no type I want to "select" a field (Oct-Sep) via a query parameter and repalce "yes" with "no". Here is my query: UPDATE payForward SET [Enter month]=No The messages I get is 'operation must use an updateable query' Wh...

GP 10 sp1 Installation guide
Did anyone get a copy of the installation guide for the sp? I am downloading the sp but I get an "access denied" error with the docs. If so, can you email to me offline. Contact me and I will send you my email address. -- Joanne Mahoney SDN Consulting Jacksonville, FL I was able to download the install guide. Please send me your email and I will email to you. Steve Berlin steveber@hotmail.com "Joanne" wrote: > Did anyone get a copy of the installation guide for the sp? I am downloading > the sp but I get an "access denied" error with the docs. &...

Microsoft Update 'left behinds'
Every time I download and install the latest Microsoft Update 'fixes' to XP-Pro, the file space taken up by XP-Pro grows and grows. While this will be an elementary question to many, is some of this XP-Pro file space 'growth' being caused by stuff that the 'fixes' leave behind and files that XP-Pro no longer needs? If so, can these 'left behind' files be gotten rid of so as to reclaim some HD space? Are there any pros and cons to deleting these 'left behind' files? Assuming that these 'left behind' files can be deleted, what i...

How do I lock a chart so it will not update?
That's the question. I have my data in Excel and the chart in Excel but not all the data cells are used. Everytimg I open the chart it wants to update and I want it to stay the same. Any ideas on how to lock the chart? Hi Just a few ideas: You could lock the cells that are shown in the chart. Or you could copy the cells and paste as values (assuming formulas were used that update when other cells change). -- Wigi http://www.wimgielis.be = Excel/VBA, soccer and music "Locking a Chart" wrote: > That's the question. I have my data in Excel and the chart in ...

Office 2004 SP 11.1.0 installation problems