XML File Converter for MS 2004

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: intel

I'm a high school teacher.

I write power points on MS 2004 on my Mac and transfer them to my school's PC that has MS 2003.

This worked great, with exception of minor formatting changes, until a month ago. Power points that I previously opened on that PC, along with new ones, would not open - this is disasterous for instruction.

My tech says 1) the school's PC may have had updates that caused the new problem and 2) that I should install the Open XML File Converter for Mac's MS 2004.

I'm concerned that serious side effects may occur with this converter. The docs on it are inadequate on such concerns. What will actually happen in general and for the transfer?

Will MS 2008 solve this problem? Can I transfer from MS 2008 to my PC's 2003?

Although it's likely that some sort of change on the PC side has caused the
problem OOXML file format has nothing to do with it unless they have
actually *Upgraded* to Office 2007 - Office 2003 also needs converters to
open Office .___x files. But even PPt 2007 should be able to open your files
just like it opens 2003 files - in "Compatibility Mode"

How are the files being transferred from Mac to PC? If by email it's a good
possibility the security updates to Exchange or security updates to Windows
could be the culprit.. Especially if the recipients are attempting to open
the attachments by double-clicking them in the message rather than saving
them to disk first.

I'm afraid you and our "tech" are going to have to look a bit deeper to find
out what is causing the problem. Identifying exactly what happens when
someone attempts to open one of the files is one of the first steps.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 3/31/08 12:24 AM, in article ee96bf3.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"Tom_Richardson@officeformac.com" <Tom_Richardson@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2004
> Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
> Processor: intel
>
> I'm a high school teacher.
>
> I write power points on MS 2004 on my Mac and transfer them to my school's PC
> that has MS 2003.
>
> This worked great, with exception of minor formatting changes, until a month
> ago. Power points that I previously opened on that PC, along with new ones,
> would not open - this is disasterous for instruction.
>
> My tech says 1) the school's PC may have had updates that caused the new
> problem and 2) that I should install the Open XML File Converter for Mac's MS
> 2004.
>
> I'm concerned that serious side effects may occur with this converter. The
> docs on it are inadequate on such concerns. What will actually happen in
> general and for the transfer?
>
> Will MS 2008 solve this problem? Can I transfer from MS 2008 to my PC's 2003?

Tom_Richardson@officeformac.com wrote:
> Version: 2004
> Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
> Processor: intel
>
> I'm a high school teacher.
>
> I write power points on MS 2004 on my Mac and transfer them to my school's PC that has MS 2003.
>
> This worked great, with exception of minor formatting changes, until a month ago. Power points that I previously opened on that PC, along with new ones, would not open - this is disasterous for instruction.
>
> My tech says 1) the school's PC may have had updates that caused the new problem and 2) that I should install the Open XML File Converter for Mac's MS 2004.
>
> I'm concerned that serious side effects may occur with this converter. The docs on it are inadequate on such concerns. What will actually happen in general and for the transfer?
>
> Will MS 2008 solve this problem? Can I transfer from MS 2008 to my PC's 2003?

Hi Tom,

Give NeoOffice a try.
http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php

You can use NeoOffice to open the pesky presentations and then save them
in Microsoft PowerPoint format 97-2003 (which really should be 97-2004
but windows people can't count).

-Jim

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

MVPs are independent experts who are not affiliated with Microsoft.
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
0
goldkey74 (611)
3/31/2008 4:43:08 PM
CyberTaz,

I transfer the power points using a flash drive onto the laptop. After showing them, I click and drag them into My Documents. I can still open them on the laptop, connected to the LCD, but can no longer do so on the desktop which hares the network. The laptop is intermittently connected to the Internet and not as subject to updates.

Any ideas?
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply.

The school district prohibits downloading unauthorized software on school computers. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Tom
Hi,

I suggest you get in contact with the school district (who ever is in
charge) and explain the situation.

Matthew

On 1/04/08 3:23 PM, in article ee96bf3.3@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"Tom_Richardson@officeformac.com" <Tom_Richardson@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> The school district prohibits downloading unauthorized software on school
> computers. Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom

Any XML Naming Conventions?
Does the use of DTD, XML Schema and similar constructs adopt the use of C# naming conventions? If so how do I make the distinction of how to apply C# conventions with XML elements, attributes and so on? Any referrals to resources that discuss or document XML Naming Conventions? -- <%= Clinton Gallagher, "Twice the Results -- Half the Cost" Architectural & e-Business Consulting -- Software Development NET csgallagher@REMOVETHISTEXTmetromilwaukee.com URL http://www.metromilwaukee.com/clintongallagher/ clintonG wrote: > Does the use of DTD, X...

Money 2004 #9
Just 'upgraded' to Money 2004 from Money 2003. One stock investment I track in Money has had several splits over the years. M2004 increased my number of shares by approx 40%. No other investment I track seems to have this problem. As I have the last M2003 entries backed up, I suppose I could try to remove M2004 then reload M2003; then upgrade to M2004 yet again. Has anyone had a similar problem? Any workarounds known? ...

How to get XML data out of an XML file

Outlook 2000 doesn't respond after downloading MS update!!
Luckily, my Outlook Express seems to work, but my Outlook 2000 will open, but if I click on a message or do Anything, it FREEZES. HELP!! I rely on calendar functions, other things. HOW could MS allow an update that screws up their own programs? I did restore - to no avail. I lent CD to someone, so can't do "repair." (Trying to get a hold of friend) Please help! I'm in process of job hunt & really need Outlook to function... Thanks, Sherry Did you recently apply SP3 for Office/Outlook 2000 and is Outlook 2000 configured in Internet Mail Only mode? If yes, you...

Multiple PST Files #2

Money 2006 file repair application error

Application hanging on file load...
Okay, I'm having the strangest problem, and I'm hoping somebody here will be able to give me an idea of how to attack it... I have an MFC application that does some networked communication, multi-threading, fun stuff... I also load and save xml configuration files. Now, on most of the computers I've run my software on, I have absolutely no problems. On SOME boxes, however, whenever I use my menu to try to load or save a file... before the File Dialog box even comes up... the application hangs. All the boxes I've tried this on have been Windows 2000 boxes with Service Pack 4....

can't open files

Reinstalling Money 2004
Back in 2003/4 I tried the 2004 Trial and then upgraded online. My hard drive just went bad, so I'm reinstalling everything on a new drive. How do I re-activate 2004 from the trial install? I don't have the non-trail download. I do have my activation code. If you go to tools... upgrade money... it take me to a website that redirect you to buying Money 2006. Thanks. Did you keep your confirmation email? I believe the activation page would be listed in there. The web pages that support the activation should still be up, but I think you need to navigate to them directly. Th...

I can no longer convert my files to pdf

Outlook Data Files #4

Backup Excel file

Is there a way to convert OE 03 form templates?
I have a user that has upgraded from outlook 2003 to outlook 2007 and has a form template from 2003 that is in a FDM extension. Outlook 2007 is unable to read this form. Is there a way to convert this form, or will the user just have to create a new form with their new version of outlook? Any information appreciated. Thanks, -AllenK What happens when you try to install the form? Any error message? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.ms...

Utility (pref. script) to catalog .EDB files
Hi, I have a client that is using an Enterprise backup tool which, whilst able to back-up and restore, does not provide in-depth information like traditional Exchange-aware backup products. I have been asked to write a script to list the users in a flat .EDB file (which has been snapped and copied and flushed using SAN replication tools). I have taken a look at the ESE API, which can only be accessed using C + (I only use VB). Other than EXMERGE, does anyone know of any tools that allow you to list the basic mailbox details on a EDB file? Thanks, Hutton. ...

List folders to file

Hyperlink File Help

Office 2004 SP 11.1.0 installation problems

Lost .pst files
I am using Office XP with Outlook 2002 (SP2). I recently had a boot track failure on my old computer which had 2 hard drives, using the second drive as back-up storage. I bought a new computer and installed the old main drive (the one with the failed boot track) in my new computer as a second drive and copied all the data onto the new main drive. All data and software works except Outlook. I cannot find any .pst files on my old drive. Where could they be. BTW I use Matadore as a spam blocker. In article <014e01c3462e$561cbdf0$a101280a@phx.gbl>, daddyray01 @sport.rr.com say...

IMPORTING MONEY FILES DUP ENTRIES
I have been unable to run money98 files in money2003.Tried importing files but all tranfers between accounts are duplicated. Don't understand how to import all the accounts at once. I created new accounts in 2003 and imported one by one, but any transactions between accounts is duplicated. Follow the prompts on the import file dialog that tell you to select multiple files to import at the same time. There are other guidelines if investment accounts are involved. You might want to review postings on this subject in the group archives at http://groups.google.com. "JAYNE" &l...

Read file info using SMO locks database!
Hi! I'm using SMO from C# to restore a database from a backup file. Since I want to re-use the same datafiles I try to read the datafiles in my destination database and call RelocateFile to use these filenames during the restore. Everyting works fine except when I try to read the current datafilenames (see code below). If I skip this code and just hardcode the paths in relocatefile everything works fine. Database db = svr.Databases[destinationDBName]; foreach (FileGroup group in db.FileGroups) foreach (DataFile file in group.Files) Console.WriteLine...

LOOK AT- x-PUBS LONDON- XML.....
Hi Have you seen www.x-pubs.com I think it will be very interesting for your audience. X-Pubs is Europes largest XML publishing conference. We have Ann Rockley, JoAnn Hackos, UBM, Mark Logic, XMetal, Idiom all speaking plus a lot more ...

How do I convert spreadsheet from Canadian $ to American $?
The Euro conversion is not doing it for me. I am working with Canadian funds and American funds. I am desperate! Assuming the Exchange rate be .70.........type that in an unused cell, say X1, then highlight it Right-click and do Copy, then select the cell(s) with the Canadian funds therein (assuming no formulas) and do Right-click > PasteSpecial > Multiply....... Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Samantha" <Samantha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8A43A210-BA3E-4ECC-AA07-B81D3A548D73@microsoft.com... > The Euro conversion is not doing it for me. I am...

Hyperlink To JPG File
I have added a hyperlink to a jpg (photo) file, and when i select the hyperlink, the jpg file opens in Corel Photo-Paint. Is there a way that I can force it to open with Windows Photo and Fax Viewer, Instead. Thanks GW Open Windows Explorer and find a *.jpg file. Select it and right-click and "Open With" Make Windows Photo and Fax Viewer the default "always open with". If you get an error, you may have to open Corel Photo-Paint and disassociate *.jpg files using probably some Options setting. If neither of these steps work for you, in Windows Explorer>Tools>...