Word 2008: PDF as icon?

Hi all,

I've a quite particular issue with Word:mac 2008: I have to attach to
a document a PDF file as icon. I go into Insert -> Object -> From File
and I select my .pdf using the check on "Display as icon". After
clicking "Ok" I get a window where I have to choose the page I want to
insert and then it doesn't put the icon, but it copies the page in the
Word document as image!

Does anyone have a clue? I want it displayed as an icon.

Thanks and regards.

Sorry:  Word 2008 can insert only Office files as icons.

Use Help>Send feedback to tell Microsoft you would like that changed in the
next version :-)

Hope this helps

On 17/01/09 6:14 PM, in article
0e6e754c-58db-4412-bc47-c6c09b573913@p2g2000prn.googlegroups.com,
"alberto.vaghi@gmail.com" <alberto.vaghi@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've a quite particular issue with Word:mac 2008: I have to attach to
> a document a PDF file as icon. I go into Insert -> Object -> From File
> and I select my .pdf using the check on "Display as icon". After
> clicking "Ok" I get a window where I have to choose the page I want to
> insert and then it doesn't put the icon, but it copies the page in the
> Word document as image!
>
> Does anyone have a clue? I want it displayed as an icon.
>
> Thanks and regards.

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP, Word and Word:Mac
Sydney, Australia.   mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
john7143 (1072)
1/17/2009 10:24:05 AM
On 17 Gen, 11:24, John McGhie <j...@mcghie.name> wrote:
> Sorry: =A0Word 2008 can insert only Office files as icons.
>
> Use Help>Send feedback to tell Microsoft you would like that changed in t=
he
> next version :-)
>
> Hope this helps
>
> On 17/01/09 6:14 PM, in article
> 0e6e754c-58db-4412-bc47-c6c09b573...@p2g2000prn.googlegroups.com,
>
> "alberto.va...@gmail.com" <alberto.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> > I've a quite particular issue with Word:mac 2008: I have to attach to
> > a document a PDF file as icon. I go into Insert -> Object -> From File
> > and I select my .pdf using the check on "Display as icon". After
> > clicking "Ok" I get a window where I have to choose the page I want to
> > insert and then it doesn't put the icon, but it copies the page in the
> > Word document as image!
>
> > Does anyone have a clue? I want it displayed as an icon.
>
> > Thanks and regards.
>
> --
> Don't wait for your answer, click here:http://www.word.mvps.org/
>
> Please reply in the group. =A0Please do NOT email me unless I ask you to.
>
> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP, Word and Word:Mac
> Sydney, Australia. =A0 mailto:j...@mcghie.name

Thanks for the info :)

Mail Merge in Word using Outlook contacts
I am using Word 2003's Mail Merge Wizard. When I get to the point where it is asking where to get the data from, I mark the "Outlook contacts" field and then prompted to choose with contacts folder. I only have one, the main "contacts" field in Outlook so I choose that one (I have Outlook open, Working Offline and have the contacts folder open.). When I proceed to the next step where I get the table of information - the fields are fields that would be in my Inbox, not my Contacts folder. I am trying to get the Last Name, First Name, Address, Home Phone number...

Creating word doc from Outlook
Hi, With my olf Office 2000 I could find someone in my contacts, got to the Actions menu and select (something like) New Word doc. A Word doc would then open with that name and address in place. I can't seem to find a way to do that in 2007. What am I missing? Many thanks for any assistance. -- Best, JB "jb99" <jb99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:210E56ED-07F7-47EB-A5E6-89E35CA8FEFD@microsoft.com... > Hi, > With my olf Office 2000 I could find someone in my contacts, got to the > Actions menu and select (something like) New W...

Detect if Spreedsheet/workbook is the embedded object in Word
The user have a embedded Excel Spreadsheet in Word that they right Click and Open in execl application. I have a custom addin that gets called for Excel on close event and ask the user to save the document. My issue is when the Excel Spreadsheet is embedded in word and the user right click on the embedded Spreadsheet and open in Excel, I do no want the Close event from my custom addin to ask the user to save the document. Is there a property or API I can use to detect if the Spreadsheet in Excel opened from another Office application like Word. I have already tried WorkBook.IsInplace ...

Toolbar icon
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Is there a way to add a Page Break icon to the toolbar? I've already checked Customize Toolbars and I can find Insert-Section Break and Insert-Column Break, I can't find Insert-Page Break. <br><br>I know I can insert a page break using the Insert menu, but then I have to use Insert-Break-Page Break. Since I use Page Break quite a bit, I'd like to save steps. There was an icon available in Word when I used a PC, so I'm hoping the same exists in Word for Mac. Or maybe some kind of word-...

inserting PDF into publisher?
Hi, I'm putting together a magazine in Publisher and have been sent some ads in PDF format. When I use the snapshot tool the quality seems to deteriorate - is there any other way of getting the files in without losing quality? Thanks Sarah Sarahs999 <Sarahs999@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > Hi, I'm putting together a magazine in Publisher and have been sent > some ads in PDF format. When I use the snapshot tool the quality > seems to deteriorate - is there any other way of getting the files in > without losing quality? Use GhostScr...

Endnote Docking in MS Word
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) In the preferences in MS Word, there is an option to dock the toolbars. However, I can't get my Endnote X2 to dock. It is driving me crazy! Please let me know if there is a way to dock this in Word 2008 version. Thanks! Not all the toolbars can be docked. If the toolbar preferences window does not allow you to dock the toolbar itself, then you simply can't do it. On 19/05/09 1:28, in article 59b74e21.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "niffykins@officeformac.com" <niffykins@officeformac.com> wrote: > Version: 200...

Enlarging Toolbar Icons
Hi, All, How do I enlarge the Outlook Express 6 Toolbar icons so that the full text labels are shown? There is plenty of vacant space on the toolbar and I have selected "Large Icons" in Icon Options. My Default Font is: Ariel 12pt. View | Layout | Customize Toolbar. Show Text Labels and Use Large Icons. That's about it without changing the screen resolution. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "Ted." <Ted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4AEFA652-BDBE-4AA6-BD66-B6CEC2370C52@microsoft.c...

Word File Sizes
Does anyone know of a way I can restrict/reduce the size of a word document? I'm running Office 2004 on an Intel Mac Mini under 10.4.8. I have a 50 word document that runs to 148K in size. I just find that ridiculous. I can't seem to get any document under 100K. What the heck does Word put in there? Cheers, Dave -- Dave Smith Wordsmith and yarnspinner, singer and storyteller If you save blank document that will have about 28K, this is because of some formatting, styles included in document Track changes on, or fast saves (preferences>save>alow fast save) will cause docu...

Word -- tabbed document sheets

Access word document from external app while it is open
Hi I open a text file with ms word 2003 (i.e. a common txt file) and I need to edited from ms word which is ok, but I need also in parallel access it by an external application and I cannot (I get a message permission denied). I imagine that ms word lock the file. So what I can do to override this setting? in order to edit the file from another application while the file is opened in word? Thank you There is nothing you can do. Word will lock the file. Word is not a multi-user application. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< &...

How to get watermark on all pages in Word 2007?
I have a simple 3-page document. I would like to put a watermark on all pages. To insert a watermark, I click on Page Layout | Watermark | Draft 1. If I do this from page 1, I get it on page 1 only. If I then do it from page 2, I get it on pages 2-3, but it disappears from page 1. If I redo it from page 1, it reappears on page 1, but disappears from pages 2-3. What is going on? Open the header pane (double click in the top border) and when the selection is in the header, use the Watermark facility. -- Hope this helps, Doug Robbins - Word MVP Please reply only to the news...

Opening iWorks .pages files in Word
Is there a way to open .pages files in Word 2007 which doesn't involve going back to the original sender to get them to export the file? I know if I rename the file to .zip I can export the contents and get a PDF file and an XML file, but the PDF isn't editable and the XML comes up with a bunch of markup that I need to get rid of. What's the simplest fix here? ...

Awesome list of Excel/Word/Powerpoint shortcuts!
Hi, everybody! I recently discovered a great keyboard shortcut list for the office applications. It seems to have practically every shortcut imaginable and it fits on one page too! I printed it out and put on the wall next to my monitor -- just great!. Thought you would appreciate it... Here's the link to the PDF file. Hit print and you're ready to go. http://www.prihodko.com/msoffice/Office_2003_Shortcuts.pdf Lindy Hi Lindy, For Excel, I like Chip Pearson's Excel Keyboard Shortcuts page at: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/KeyboardShortcuts.htm There is also a d...

Merge to email w/Word and Outlook 2002 security issue
I am trying to merge email using Word and Outlook 2002. This merge consists of about 3000 recipients. When I commence the merge I get an Outlook Security warning that tells me that some outside program is trying to send email using my Outlook profile and I have to click Yes or No. It procedes to ask me for ever single recipient... I'm not going to sit there and say yes for 3000 people. Do you know of a setting somewhere that I can change to not ask me everytime? Thanks, Brian What service pack(s) have you applied? Did you choose HTML as the message format for the merge? -- ...

Text Area indicator Word 2007
When I installed MS Office, I set the word 2007 page to indicate the text area (doted lines) on 4 sides of the page. Wish to remove them now, but don't remember where it was that set them Help PLEASE TIA Word Options > Advanced > Show Document Content > Uncheck 'Show Text Boundaries" -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><&l...

How do I print 90 different labels in excel, word or publisher ?
I am trying to print off 90 different labels (small) but all I seem to be able to do is print off a whole page of the same item. The items are Ref 1001, Ref 1002, Ref 1003 etc. Can anyone help or got good ideas Thanks Johns This sounds like a Mail Merge operation. Someone will be along with the instructions soon. I'd help but I don't do Mail Merges and am not familiar with the operation. -- Don Vancouver, USA "johns-house" <johns-house@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D26A7D12-5C8B-45FC-AB3C-AF40B02AFB5D@microsoft.com... >I am trying to p...

Word Decides to Not Save Documents
We're having a problem where users will be working on files and Word will just STOP saving changes. A user will work for an hour updating a document and will click the save button. After clicking save, they get no error, everything looks fine, and they close the document. But the hour worth of changes are not saved and the Modified Date doesn't change. If the SAME user double clicks and opens the file they see their changes but if someone else opens the file they get the old version. Sometimes if they just close all their open word documents the changes will be flushed a...

RE-install microsoft word
I have mistakingly removed microsoft word from my computer. I do not have an installation disk and it is not in my recycle bin. What can I do to Re-install word WITHOUT purchasing it all over? It is highly unlikely that you have uninstalled the program inadvertently. What you may have done is lose the desktop shortcut. Use Windows Search to search for winword.exe (make sure you tell Windows to include hidden and system files and folders in the search). When you find it, create a new shortcut and drag it to the desktop or Start menu. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Wor...

Publisher 2003/Word Art/EPS
I have created an (A3) Poster which includes a WordArt Object and some text. I do output it as EPS, using the "Generic Color PS for Commercial Printing"-driver from office. EPS-generation seems to succeed. However, if I open the EPS within Macromedia Fireworks, the "WordArt"-Text is not included (visible), all other texts have been moved to the top of the page. What am I doing wrong???? -- Dipl.-Ing.(TH) Winfried Kaiser c/o Fortune Systems GmbH & Co. Postfach1 D-24975 Husby Germany Fon: (49)4634-746 I can import it into Corel okay. Depending on what Word...

OE icons changed
I have been trying to figure out how to backup/copy my email settings and messages and folders. I still am confused. Is there a step by step for a grey surfer? Also I had an old OE folder with the .dbx messages from long ago on Win98. I would like to access them but have no idea how. (incidentally the little icon beside them is from Photoshop so Photoshop trys to open them if I click on it. Sound confused, I am. Patti This freeware tool backs up everything in OE in seconds. Disregard what is written in red. That is referring to a different program. Outlook Express Qui...

ListControl Icons truncated after...
I have problems after several changes in the ListControl's imageList and style: the icons apears truncated, very near one from other... The functions I'm executing every time then I change the imageList and style are: void CGIAlrmDlg::OnViewDetails() { m_ctrlListServs.SetImageList(m_pImageList1, LVSIL_SMALL); m_ctrlListServs.ModifyStyle( LVS_TYPEMASK, LVS_REPORT); m_ctrlListServs.UpdateWindow(); } Some sugestion? TIA Cesario, from the lower south of Brazil - Santa Catarina State Realy, I don't know why it occurs (the truncation like an overlaping of the icons) b...

Alphabetical list for Word Mail list
I have a large mailing list and would like to be able to click on the letter a on the keyboard and all the listing for A come up. I use the list for printing envelopes and currently have it set up in word. I suppose it might be possible to access your list via a vba userform - For the basics, see Word MVP FAQ - Userforms http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Userforms.htm for a more in depth explanation, see http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Create_and_employ_a_UserForm.htm and particularly the page about populating list boxes http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Populate_UserForm_ListBox.htm however, M...

OT: Desktop shortcut icons.
OT - but the guys on this ng are always *so* helpful! I like to have quick access to web-pages I visit frequently by having shortcut icons on my Desktop. I do that by dragging the icon which precedes the page address to a clear desktop area. Usually the 'company' icon appears: eg. I've no problem with the 'BBC' from http://news.bbc.co.uk/ However, often it's not the 'company' icon that appears: eg I can't get the Lloyds icon from http://www.lloydstsb.com/ When the company icon fails to appear I get instead the Internet Explorer 'e'...

Mac Office 2008 Power point FONT
Help anyone. For hours I have tried to switch my PP font from Veranda, which seems the default to Arial or Times New Roman. OMG what a mess. Hours later and facing a project deadline, I submitted with a mea culpa to the professor. Please save me from the fall........ I looked thru the FAQ's and while font issues were discussed, not specific to the Mac 2008 Home and student edition. Any help is so very appreciated. Jan Jajola I regret to tell you that you have landed in the Microsoft PC Powerpoint group, not the 'Powerpoint for Mac' area. You might try joining micr...

Word Default settings
Is it possible to set the default in the review pane to "open" in somehting other than final showing markup? You can control those settings on *your system only* to a degree if you first clear the "Make hidden markup visible when opening or saving" option in Office button | Word Options | Trust Center | Trust Center Settings | Privacy Options, and then change the desired options on the Review tab, but I would *not* recommend it. The reason is that others, to which you may send the document, will still see your markup (depending on the chosen settings for their sy...