Word 2008 Margin settings trouble

Version: 2008
Processor: intel

I'm currently working on my graduate thesis, a document for which there are arcane, yet strictly enforced, formatting requirements. One of these requirements is that the bottom margin of each page be between 1" and 1.25". Any margin falling outside of that range is not acceptable.

The problem that I am having is that margins in Word appear to print accurately up to .9". Once the margin is advanced above .9", there is a discontinuity between the set margin size and the actual printed margin, resulting in printed margins of 1.35" for a setting of 1". This makes my required margin size unattainable, as the jump from .9 to 1.35" encompasses the entirety of the allowable range.

I have experienced this problem now using three different laser printers and one inkjet. Has anyone else encountered this difficulty, and is there any solution?
0
Banks1 (1)

I am not sure how you are measuring the margin?

You can set the margin anywhere you like in a Word document, but you need to
be aware of the way it works.

The "margin" setting sets the distance from the edge of the paper to the
bottom of the "print image".

Within that, the "Footer" measurement measures the distance from the edge of
the paper to the outside (bottom!) of the footer text.

If the margin is not big enough to contain the footer and maintain that
"From Edge" distance, Word will automatically expand the margin inwards to
accommodate the footer.

None of these measurements will be accurate unless you have the printer
connected that you are going to print to, because Word derives its
measurements from the printer driver.

However, if you are measuring to the bottom row of the text, you may get
variable results, because Word will compute where to break the paragraph so
as not to produce an ugly result.

Please tell me how you are measuring these dimensions and I can be of more
help to you.

Cheers

On 1/05/08 6:26 AM, in article ee9a2b2.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"Banks@officeformac.com" <Banks@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2008
> Processor: intel
>
> I'm currently working on my graduate thesis, a document for which there are
> arcane, yet strictly enforced, formatting requirements. One of these
> requirements is that the bottom margin of each page be between 1" and 1.25".
> Any margin falling outside of that range is not acceptable.
>
> The problem that I am having is that margins in Word appear to print
> accurately up to .9". Once the margin is advanced above .9", there is a
> discontinuity between the set margin size and the actual printed margin,
> resulting in printed margins of 1.35" for a setting of 1". This makes my
> required margin size unattainable, as the jump from .9 to 1.35" encompasses
> the entirety of the allowable range.
>
> I have experienced this problem now using three different laser printers and
> one inkjet. Has anyone else encountered this difficulty, and is there any
> solution?

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP, Word and Word:Mac
Sydney, Australia.   mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
john7143 (1072)
5/9/2008 10:36:59 AM
Just *one* of the influencing factors John is referring to is Widow/Orphan
Control which prevents the first line of a paragraph from being stranded at
the bottom of a page & prevents the last line of a paragraph appearing alone
at the top of a page.

This as well as other formatting renders a net result which you can
interpret as: The margin setting only determines the *limit* to which the
text can go, it doesn't force the content to go that far.

Not to interfere with John's sage advice - he'll provide the specific
guidance you may need - but in addition you may find this article useful:

http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/BottomLine.htm

--
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 4/30/08 4:26 PM, in article ee9a2b2.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"Banks@officeformac.com" <Banks@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2008
> Processor: intel
>
> I'm currently working on my graduate thesis, a document for which there are
> arcane, yet strictly enforced, formatting requirements. One of these
> requirements is that the bottom margin of each page be between 1" and 1.25".
> Any margin falling outside of that range is not acceptable.
>
> The problem that I am having is that margins in Word appear to print
> accurately up to .9". Once the margin is advanced above .9", there is a
> discontinuity between the set margin size and the actual printed margin,
> resulting in printed margins of 1.35" for a setting of 1". This makes my
> required margin size unattainable, as the jump from .9 to 1.35" encompasses
> the entirety of the allowable range.
>
> I have experienced this problem now using three different laser printers and
> one inkjet. Has anyone else encountered this difficulty, and is there any
> solution?

Eligibility of Office v.X for upgrade to 2008
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi, I have not found a reference to this already. I am interested in knowing if Office v.X for Mac is eligible for upgrade to 2008. I do not want to purchase the upgrade before knowing this. v.X was released in 2001 (I believe) which is after some of the other eligible products which the popup window on the MS web site says. Kind regards Mark Hi Mark; Don't let the "year a product was released" be construed with the *Name* of the release :-) It can be confusing. Direct answer to your question: Yes, any e...

Mailbox permissions/Security settings vanashing
I have two mail boxes in a Exchange 2000/Windows 2000 server AD environment that are not allowing the user to access/logon. I get the MAPI_E_NO_ACCESS error code. I check the security settings for the user and SELF is not listed. I add it but that does not help and after awhile SELF disappears from the security settings. I also checked under 'Exchange Advanced' - mail box permissions, and SELF is listed there with full mail box access. What am i overlooking, help please! ...

Word 2003
I would like to control the auto-wrapping when sending messages in Outlook 2003 so that my message, when sent, has a left margin of 1.25" and my right margin is 3" using plain text formatting. I can control the margin with a manual return but there must be a better way. Plain text seems to be the only formatting that does not allow page setup. I know I can do it in Rich Text and HTML but not Plain text, which I need to use. While this forum is for Word rather than Outlook, I feel I should point out that plain text is simply that - plain text. It does not support form...

Maximize setting when opeing excel
When I open my Excel program my spreadsheet is always less than minimized. Very annoying as I always have to maximize before doing anything. I tried maximizing and saving the sheet and closing and reopening but it doesn't save it. Is there any settings and can change so it locks the maximize setting into place? Thank you so much! Dan Hi Rollingdan, Close all browsers, Open a browser, maximize it, close it, then open a new one. Should be maximized! IF that doesn't work.... Open up Excel and maximize it. Then, while holding down the 'Ctrl' key on the keyboard, click &#...

Change icon in Office 2008
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Til the release prior to sp2 I used to change the app icons with those that came in the 2004 version using the Get Info pane. After sp2 this no longer works. Not even changing the icons that you find in the packages of each app. Any thoughts? PS this was already ask, but no solution was given <http://www.officeformac.com/ms/ProductForums/Office/3822> On 8/1/09 4:34 PM, in article 59b796f8.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "mctop@officeformac.com" <mctop@officeformac.com> wrote: > Til the release pr...

XSLT extension object returning a node set
Hi, I want to write an XSLT extension object that returns a node set. I intend to use the extension object in a select attribute of a for-each xsl element. eg. <xsl:for-each select="myobj:mynodes()">.... </xsl:for-each> I am currently returning XmlNodeList from my extension object method, but this method is not being called. Instead I get the exception "The expression passed to this method should result in a NodeSet" Any ideas much appreciated. Thanks Martin Looks like I need XPathNodeIterator "Martin" <x@y.z> wrote in message news:u...

Outlook XP issue with signature "menu" popping up on mis-spelled words
When Outlook pick up a mis-spelled word or mal-formed grammar, it underlines the spelling in red and grammer in green - this is fine - but when i right-click on the word the signature picker menu pops up, rather than a selection of replacement words. How can I disable this "feature" Please advise Sounds like you're using WordMail as your editor and have typed text inside the automatic signature that Outlook added to the message when you created it. The solution is not to type in the signature. Type above it. I find it useful to include a short separator line (--) as the fi...

Default Word 2007 to "No Spacing"?
Is there a setting to make Word 2007 default to use "No Spacing" under the Styles of the Home Tab? It's very annoying that it defaults to normal. I never use it!!! It's especially when doing a Mail Merge and I have to put Name, Name2, Contact, Address, Address2, etc.. all on one tiny label. Can't do that with the spacing it does by normal. Each time I have to change it to no spacing. Apply the Word 2003 style set. (Change Styles on the Home Tab) -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< ...

recalculate page breaks after setting Zoom in pagesetup
Cross posted since I have gotten no responce in microsoft.public.excel.programming for 3 days Ok I've seen the 1,000s of people trying to program page setup options and having a bad time. So let me add more problems. I was using Excel 2000. I now have 2007. I had a workaround for this bug in 2000/2003 but I can't seem to get around it in 2007 (and of course it isn't fixed) Here is what I'm trying to do: Set the page to Landscape, 1 page wide Then add some intelligent page breaks by looking for the automatic page break and putting a manual break above it where the d...

error in applying settings from ie 7 http://runonce.msn.com/runonc
I got page error from applying settings after starting Ie7. of course I get this error each time I bring up ie7 line: 35\char: 5 Error Object doesn't support this property or method Code: 0 Url: http://runonce.msn.com/runonce3.aspx OS: xp media center edtion sp2: Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] xpsp_sp2_gdr.091208-2028 with phiscal RAm avail to Windows as 3,405,504 KB on core 2 dual What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if ...

using excel data for mail merge with Word
When I try to use an excel worksheet as my data to create address labels with Word, the text is unreadable. Seems very basic - but what am I doing wrong? Adriannae, have a look here for some tips http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2000 & 97 ** remove news from my email address to reply by email ** "adrianne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...

How do I set default start time, File-New-Meeting "start time"
when we point on a date in the furture - and then click on "File", "New", "Booking" - then thus form starts at 23:59 the day BEFORE .... I would like to have to start on the same date - and mayby at 08:00 ... Will it possible to change the start time? What happens if you double click on the date or time period? If you use month view, you'll get all day appointments, if you use a day view with time periods, you'll get an appointment for the time period. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook ...

y-axis lable truncates words, why?
I upgraded to Office 2003 and now my y axis chart lables are truncated unless I use a very small font. What is wrong? ...

Office 2008 on Snow Leopard
Office 2004 seems somewhat sluggish at times. I hear Office 2008 is actually slower. But is this true? John -- Are there errors in the Bible? Do Animals go to Heaven? Is drinking Alcohol a sin? Is the KJV the only translation to be used? If you want to learn, get answers, and be able to defend the faith, CERM is your place. http://www.cerm.info/ On 2010-02-18 18:25:33 -0500, John Wolf said: > Office 2004 seems somewhat sluggish at times. I hear Office 2008 is actually > slower. But is this true? It's not the impression I was under. It feels snappier to me. ...

Entourage 2008 sometimes creates "sub-folders" by itself
Hello. Sometimes, with some folders, Entourage 2008 creates sub-folders; these sub-folders are then named after the messages that are in that folder, for example "name of message 234566.eml". Anybody knows why? Howe can I stop this behavior (unless it has any value). Thanks. On 2010-01-05 13:40:25 -0500, dma said: > Sometimes, with some folders, Entourage 2008 creates sub-folders; these > sub-folders are then named after the messages that are in that folder, for > example "name of message 234566.eml". Anybody knows why? Howe can I stop > this beha...

import excel formulas in a word document
I'm trying to set up word template that can do excel formulas in it. What do you want the formulas to do? You can insert an Excel Worksheet into a Word document. -- Hope this helps, Doug Robbins - Word MVP Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services on a paid professional basis. "bam560sec" <bam560sec@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ADDBBCD5-E563-4FCF-83D3-181944007171@microsoft.com... > I'm trying to set up word template that can do excel formulas in it. > ...

Scaling Excel table imported into Word document
I have an Excel 2002 table that is too big when I import it into a Word 2002. I can print the table for Excel by asking it to fit on one page and the table looks good and would fit into the Word document. How do I accomplish the same thing as an import into Word? Instead of importing the table as a file. Did you try and paste the object as a bitmap? Quality is a little less but that the only format that has worked for me in the past. Regards >-----Original Message----- >I have an Excel 2002 table that is too big when I import >it into a Word 2002. I can print the table ...

changed setting to Aus English. it always goes to English Us why?
How do i get Word xp to keep Aus English on it? I have changed the default and dictionary settings to Aus English. But the spell always checks in English Us. This group is about Microsoft Access (the desktop database.) People in the Word group could probably help you better. Suggestions: 1. Go to Regional Settings in the Windows Control Panel. Make sure your default location is Australia. 2. In Word, select all (Ctrl + A), and choose Set Language on the Review tab of the ribbon (Word 2007), or the Tools menu in previous versions. 3. In the Language dialog, choose "English (Austra...

How do I set a line not to print if the merge value is null?
In Publisher 2002, I am merging data that does not always have a value in all the columns. I would like to set a line not to print in the case where there is not a value there. Specifically, the line looks like this: quilt owned by: <<owner>> I want the line to be omitted if the data does not have an entry in the "owner" column. Can I do that? You could go down thru your entire list and tell it not to print a particular entry, but then you would not get the quilt style or a date or whatever other data you have for that quilt. You could reword your publication...

Word shuts down
I'm using a legal version of Word 2004 w/Leopard, latest version, on an intel iMac and two Minis. all of a sudden lately on the intel iMac and one Mini Word closes when i try to print a document. it happens 50% of the time. when i start Word this message pops up: "unexpected error occurred while trying to load the microsoft framework library."<br> <br> thanks your your help. A framework library error indicates that an update has not been applied in its entirety. Simply re-apply all the latest updates, and Word should launch normally. On 01/02/08 20:28, in article ...

I want to insert half of a space instead of a whole space in word.
I want to see if I can insert half a space instead of a "whole" space between words in Microsoft word. On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 10:34:02 -0800, Hucksie <Hucksie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I want to see if I can insert half a space instead of a "whole" space between >words in Microsoft word. In the Insert > Symbol dialog, you'll find an "en space" character at Unicode number 2002. There is no shortcut key assigned to it by default, but you can assign one by clicking the Shortcut Key button in the dialog. If you don't need...

Outlook 2002 cannot find word as email editor even when the prope.
Office XP with Outlook 2002. This is a new install with the proper updates. I've checked the proper boxes in email format to use word as the email editor but when I attempt to start a new message I get a dialog box that says that Outlook cannot find word. When I go back to email formats the boxes are unchecked even though I've hit the apply button. How do I direct Outlook to the proper path. ...

Collation settings
I'm going through a 2005 Install lesson and it is saying to change the default collation to: Latin1_General with a Binary sort order. Well Latin1_General is normal enough, but why would they want to change the default sort order? Since it is a lesson, perhaps just to teach you how to do it. (However, back a decade or so, when I set up a SQL Servers for installing SAP, that was the required sort order using code page 850.) RLF "Jay" <spam@nospam.org> wrote in message news:%23Qj%23YYGdKHA.1640@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > I'm going through a 20...

how can i set up my hotmail ID to work on Outlook?
Vithish <Vithish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: google "outlook connector" "Vithish" wrote in message news:DBEE3C63-148F-453B-AA6D-E03DEE7A2AEB@microsoft.com... > <blank body = blank post = blank mind> Read: http://66.39.69.143/goodpost.htm http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375 http://users.tpg.com.au/bzyhjr/liszt.html Microsoft discontinued WebDAV access for free account back in November 2004. WebDAV is the scripting language used to communicate to their HTTP mail host. Only Outlook and Outlook Express had WebDAV scripting supported (and knew...

how do I set my tab to stop at column N and rtn to A
I have an invoice created in excel that I would like to be able to tab over no further than the end of the invoice(column N) and then return to column A. Howeer, the tab continues past the column and I don't know how to lock it. TL, You can hide all the columns past column N, and the tab will stop at column. If youve been tabbing, from column A for example, and have arrived in column N, the Enter key will return you to column A, one row down. Otherwise, you can use the Home key to get back to column A, then the Enter key do go down one row. If that isn't good enough, you can...