Word 2004 overriding global prefs

Okay.. PMG5 running 10.4.6. I have a problem with the default page setup
settings in two limited user accounts (my own, admin account, is fine).

As I am in the UK, the global default paper size is set to A4. All
applications respect this - bar Word. Every time it's fired up, and a new
document selected, the paper size is always US Letter.  This does NOT affect
any other Office application. I have tried trashing prefs - I've even removed
(using the supplied removal tool) and reinstalled Office.

My mother uses Word extensively as she works at home a good deal. She
wouldn't know to set the paper size to A4 each time and, obviously, I cannot
always be around to do it for her. How do I persuade it to behave under the
two limited accounts? I have checked the global printer settings under both
accounts and they are both set to A4.

She has work to do today and this really needs fixing...

I don't use it much myself and there was an update not so long ago, which I
have just installed.

Could some one tell me what's broken and, more pertinently, how the bleedin'
Hades I fix the ruddy thing?!

Thanks

0
naggingdoubt (192)

Margolotta <naggingdoubt@thebackofyourmind.invalid> wrote:

> My mother uses Word extensively as she works at home a good deal. She
> wouldn't know to set the paper size to A4 each time and, obviously, I cannot
> always be around to do it for her. How do I persuade it to behave under the
> two limited accounts? I have checked the global printer settings under both
> accounts and they are both set to A4.

Is there a default document template that she is using that is set to US
paper size?
--
Peter
0
"Peter Ceresole" <peter@cara.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Margolotta <naggingdoubt@thebackofyourmind.invalid> wrote:
>
>> My mother uses Word extensively as she works at home a good deal. She
>> wouldn't know to set the paper size to A4 each time and, obviously, I cannot
>> always be around to do it for her. How do I persuade it to behave under the
>> two limited accounts? I have checked the global printer settings under both
>> accounts and they are both set to A4.
>
> Is there a default document template that she is using that is set to US
> paper size?

Normally (sic) you would create a new document, go to Format > Document,
then hit the "Page Setup" button there (and set the page size in the Page
Setup dialog, and hit OK) and then hit the "Default..." button back in the
Word dialog.

That will save your desired page size in the normal template that Word uses
for every new document.

Cheers,

Chris

0
chrisridd (2)
5/2/2006 12:29:59 PM
Why are you crossposting? STFW. If you do, you will find plenty on the
subject. Lazy fuckwit.

0
kll454 (1)
5/2/2006 12:32:14 PM
On Tue, 2 May 2006 13:29:59 +0100, Chris Ridd wrote
(in article <C07D0F57.19D1E8%chrisridd@mac.com>):

> On 2/5/06 10:02, in article 1hepfri.w0k6xxcu955bN%peter@cara.demon.co.uk,
> "Peter Ceresole" <peter@cara.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Margolotta <naggingdoubt@thebackofyourmind.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> My mother uses Word extensively as she works at home a good deal. She
>>> wouldn't know to set the paper size to A4 each time and, obviously, I
>>> cannot
>>> always be around to do it for her. How do I persuade it to behave under the
>>> two limited accounts? I have checked the global printer settings under both
>>> accounts and they are both set to A4.
>>
>> Is there a default document template that she is using that is set to US
>> paper size?
>
> Normally (sic) you would create a new document, go to Format > Document,
> then hit the "Page Setup" button there (and set the page size in the Page
> Setup dialog, and hit OK) and then hit the "Default..." button back in the
> Word dialog.
>
> That will save your desired page size in the normal template that Word uses
> for every new document.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris

Except, Chris, it sodding well doesn't! I was up all night trying to fix this
- I trashed the normal.dot at least a dozen times and recreated it - only to
find it was US letter when I restarted Word. For some reason (and this
shouldn't surprise me as it's a MS application we're talking about) it's now
working fine under my father's account with no intervention from me. The
thing is, he uses it once a flood - Mother uses it at least three times a
week, so it's more pertinent that her prefs are correct.

You want to know what's even weirder? If I start Word from normal.dot, it's
fine (i.e. the page size is A4). However, if I start Word from the Dock (she
has an icon to both Word and Excel on her Dock) it opens US Letter and ditto
if I use the icon directly in the Office folder. So could someone please
explain, in words of one syllabub (as Stanley Unwin used to say) where the
setting is being changed? Normal.dot is the global template so why isn't it
being used when firing up Word?!

Sorry if I sound crabby, but I've had *very* little sleep...

Cheers for any more clues

Sarah

0
naggingdoubt (192)
5/2/2006 1:43:57 PM
On Tue, 2 May 2006 10:02:53 +0100, Peter Ceresole wrote
(in article <1hepfri.w0k6xxcu955bN%peter@cara.demon.co.uk>):

> Margolotta <naggingdoubt@thebackofyourmind.invalid> wrote:
>
>> My mother uses Word extensively as she works at home a good deal. She
>> wouldn't know to set the paper size to A4 each time and, obviously, I cannot
>> always be around to do it for her. How do I persuade it to behave under the
>> two limited accounts? I have checked the global printer settings under both
>> accounts and they are both set to A4.
>
> Is there a default document template that she is using that is set to US
> paper size?

Peter,

Thanks for the suggestion, but she would have the foggiest how to set one up
- she's a complete technophobe. All she understands is that Word opens and
you type. That's about the limits of her 'technical' knowledge. She doesn't
even understand basic keyboard shortcuts (apple+S for save, apple+p for print
and apple+b for bold, for example) she's forever using the mouse and I cannot
bear to watch her as it looks so clumsy and awkward. She would up her
productivity by at least 25% if she learnt basic keyboard commands. The rare
occasions I use Word, my hands rarely leave the keys as it just seems so
unnatural to use the mouse for something that can be easily accomplished by
using the keyboard. I've even taped a table above the monitor with a list of
basic commands, but she still hasn't cottoned on.

Cheers for the suggestion, though.

Sarah

0
naggingdoubt (192)
5/2/2006 1:49:20 PM
On 2/5/06 2:43, in article 0001HW.C07D20AD00206987F0386530@news.ngroups.net,
"Margolotta" <naggingdoubt@thebackofyourmind.invalid> wrote:

> You want to know what's even weirder? If I start Word from normal.dot, it's
> fine (i.e. the page size is A4). However, if I start Word from the Dock (she

OK, that's useful to know. I note that my normal template's just called
"Normal" with no (hidden or otherwise) extension.

> has an icon to both Word and Excel on her Dock) it opens US Letter and ditto
> if I use the icon directly in the Office folder. So could someone please

That's odd, because I open my copy from the Dock too.

I'm in the administrator group. Perhaps that makes a difference? (It better
not, but if you want to explore all avenues...)

If that doesn't help you'll need to wait for Elliott (or another Word
expert) to drop by!

Cheers,

Chris

0
chrisridd (2)
5/2/2006 1:56:32 PM
Chris Ridd <chrisridd@mac.com> wrote:

> > has an icon to both Word and Excel on her Dock) it opens US Letter and ditto
> > if I use the icon directly in the Office folder. So could someone please
>
> That's odd, because I open my copy from the Dock too.

I open mine from an alias to the application and it starts up offering
A4 too. And the template file seems to be 'Normal'- no extension- in
Me->Documents->Microsoft User Data.
--
Peter
0
Margolotta <naggingdoubt@thebackofyourmind.invalid> wrote:

> On Tue, 2 May 2006 10:02:53 +0100, Peter Ceresole wrote
> (in article <1hepfri.w0k6xxcu955bN%peter@cara.demon.co.uk>):
>
> > Margolotta <naggingdoubt@thebackofyourmind.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >> My mother uses Word extensively as she works at home a good deal. She
> >> wouldn't know to set the paper size to A4 each time and, obviously, I
> >> cannot
> >> always be around to do it for her. How do I persuade it to behave under the
> >> two limited accounts? I have checked the global printer settings under both
> >> accounts and they are both set to A4.
> >
> > Is there a default document template that she is using that is set to US
> > paper size?
> >

> Peter,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, but she would have the foggiest how to set one up

To modify my suggestion in my previous post:-
Sorry about the v.X detour. I didn't read the post's title.

I guess you can ignore the global template stuff unless somebody
helpfully added one.

You will have to update Normal in both the limited accounts you mention.
(just open it, change the paper size and save it)

Word's initial default preference is to open with the Project Gallery.
That can be changed in preferences.
I *think* if you choose the unadorned "Word document" from that
display, only the default Normal template is in effect.

--
To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810  E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248

On 5/2/06 7:38 AM,  "Peter Ceresole" wrote:

> Chris Ridd <chrisridd@mac.com> wrote:
>
>>> has an icon to both Word and Excel on her Dock) it opens US Letter and ditto
>>> if I use the icon directly in the Office folder. So could someone please
>>
>> That's odd, because I open my copy from the Dock too.
>
> I open mine from an alias to the application and it starts up offering
> A4 too. And the template file seems to be 'Normal'- no extension- in
> Me->Documents->Microsoft User Data.

0
daiyaNOSPAM (1173)

Exchange 2003 Global Rules
I would like to be able to set "global" rules to copy all incoming and outgoing messages with a four digit number in the suject line to a specified public folder. I believe this is possible through an event sink script file. I am not opposed to third party software if necessary. Or even building the scripts or whatever myself. I would need it to have the same sort of functionality as the Rules Wizard on the local outlook client but global for all users, a plus would be if i could assign security/distribution groups in ad to certain "rules". Any ideas? -- Ted Glass...

merge from excel to word
I can't figure out the envelop merge from excel to word. I can do it at work, but I have a different virsion at home. The home virsion (whatever comes with windows XP) is not user friendly at all. By now I could have hand written everything. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agre...

Change Acct Name in Money 2004
I've change the name of an investment account in Money 2004 using change account details, but when I try to transfer funds between accounts, it still shows the old account name, not the new one. Is there a different way to maintain the account name the works? Did you change both the investment account name and its associated cash account name? "Steve" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:87bf01c3e92e$62890460$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I've change the name of an investment account in Money > 2004 using change account details, but when I tr...

Word to Publisher
When i import a landscape word 2007 file to publisher 2007 in converts it to portrait how can i keep it as landscape. i have tried to protect it but it still changes it ...

Quickbooks to Money 2004 Business
I would like to stop using quickbooks 2003 and start using money small business 2004 - is that possible? and what would be the easiest way to convert QB to Money thanks Jonathan In microsoft.public.money, Jonathan wrote: >I would like to stop using quickbooks 2003 and start >using money small business 2004 - is that possible? and >what would be the easiest way to convert QB to Money A really neat way to find prior postings in this group is to use the Google Usenet Groups archive. http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search enter words that you think would be in relevant p...

Make vouchers (and gift cards) global
If you plan on supporting more than one store, you need create a solution that works for more than one store, so either ditch vouchers altogether and leave it all to 3rd party or, preferably, make them global. Your solution puts all kinds of constraints on you most successful customers (the ones that want to grow), e.g., vouchers, global customers that you can't edit, a store manager/POS that can't see stock outside of the store... ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion...

E-Mail Merge in Word
I'm trying to do an e-mail merge in Outlook and I get this message: A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook.... I'm using Outlook 2003 and Word 2002. Is there a way in the registry to disable this message? Thanks, Lucie Ch´┐Żnier Lucie Ch´┐Żnier <chenierl04@yahoo.ca> wrote: > I'm trying to do an e-mail merge in Outlook and I get this message: A > program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in > Outlook.... I'm using Outlook 2003 and Word 2002. I don't think this will work. The versions of Word and Ou...

MSCRM Web: Word Merge Templates
Is there a way to creat single or multiple merged letters with MS Word templates? Not through the web browser. You can export the contacts/leads to Excel and do the mail merge with Word and Excel. Sal www.focusonyourcustomer.com "Mr. Octal Storm" <mroctalstorm@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:u1i55vqYDHA.1736@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to creat single or multiple merged letters with MS Word > templates? > > ...

Microsoft Word 2003 settings
I've just installed MSWord 2003 and the rulers are calibrated in "ch" values as is the tabs settings. Although I selected inches for my measurement type in options, everything except those 2 values change. (No matter what value I select, they don't change). How can I change them? See http://www.gmayor.com/Character_Units.htm. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit. On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 15:14:01 -0800, Marlinman <Marlinman@...

Global recipient limit and distribution lists with a lot of member
Hi all, I have to set the global recipient limit to 100 in our Exchange 2003 organization. We have some distribution lists which have more than 100 members, but everybody does not have the permission to send messages to these lists. I set the recipient limit to 5000 at user-level at those users who have permission to send messages. Will it work? Will they be able to send messages to DLs which have 2000 members in spite of the global setting? Will it work with query-based distribution lists as well? Thank you very much, bolo Should work, the user setting should override the global se...

MS Money 2004
I have two computers in my home, if I buy 2004 will I be able to install and run from both machines? Per the EULA only if one is a desktop and the other is a notebook and they aren't for simultaneous use. This is not programmatically enforced. Do NOT try to simultaneously, even via sneak circuits like MoneyExpress and MoneySide, access the same data file from two machines over a network. Bad things will result. "Keith" <keithq@argontech.net> wrote in message news:047f01c37af7$79b4d1f0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I have two computers in my home, if I buy 2004 will I be > ...

Money 2004 #18
I downloaded a Quicken file into Money and all the accounts show on the conversin sumary. However, in the Account List, the Checking account is missing altogether! All the other accounts show up, except the checking account! How can I add that account to the list and, thereby, access it? ...

Office 2004, MDI files?
When I installed Microsoft Office 2003 in Windows XP, it installed the "Microsoft Office Document Image Writer" printer driver. I can print to this printer to create documents in the Microsoft Document Imaging Format (*.MDI). In Windows this file format is only readable through the Microsoft Office Document Imaging program installed with Microsoft Office 2003. Will the Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac OS X version install the "Microsoft Office Document Image Writer" printer driver like the Windows version? Will the Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac OS X version be able ...

converting Word 2002 files to Word 2007 files
I have hundreds of 2002 Word files. Is there a simple way I can convert all these files to Word 2007 without opening each file separately? You don't *have* to convert them, you know. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Dyer" <Dyer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:32ED6652-CD77-4F7B-8219-9A0F63C4D9D7@microsoft.com... >I have hundreds of 2002 Word files. Is there a simple way I can convert all > these files to Word 2007 without opening each file separately? &...

chart line appear in Word
We combine couple chart together as one picture; then copy and past to word as our final report. charts were pasted as "Picture (Enhanced Metafile)" We have selected heavest line from Excel defut, but when past to Word, due to reduce overall size of chart, the lines were not heavy enough. Any way we can improve that. Make the chart in Excel the size you need in Word, so there's no need to reduce it to fit. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

Document recovery loop in Word 2007
My computer restarted in the middle of the night, and I had left and unsaved word document open. When I rebooted my computer and tried to open a document in Word 2007, it pulls up the document recovery bar on the left and freezes. I have tried re-starting in safe mode, uninstalling and reinstalling Word 2007, etc. Each time, the result is the same. I don't know how to get rid of the document recovery loop. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you. generally, if a pc crashes in the middle of reading or writing to the registry or a file, then a chkdsk might help to ...

"Send As" add-in for Word?
Open Office has a really good feature in that you can do a "Send As" a Microsoft Word 97-2003 document with no reference to the format of the document that is being edited. This would be a really good feature for Office 2007 and upwards because it doesn't affect the base document format at all. This means that (for example) I can open a docx document and do a "Send As" ..doc document without having to do a "Save As" first. Does anyone know of an add-in that could replicate such a feature? Word 2007 already includes this ability. Set the defau...

Can I include the timezone in the savedate field in MS-Word?
Can I include the timezone in the savedate field in MS-Word? For example, i'd like the result of the savedate field to be: mm/dd/yyyy 01:00 PM EST Either simply type EST after the field or use a switch \@ "MM/dd/yyyy hh:mm AM/PM 'EST'" -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>...

How can I save a hyperlinked word document / pdf in Publisher?
Hi, I really need someones' help. I am making a webpage in publisher which will be having links to my saved word documents. i.e., once clicked on a link, a word document or a pdf will open. This way, I can reduce the number of web pages required. I would appreciate if someone can help me on this. Thanks a lot in advance. Regards, Deb. This is the way I found to be good for me. On the server where your website files are located create a folder, downloads (or any other name you like). Put your files, i.e.,File.doc, File.pdf etc in the downloads folder. On your web page create somethi...

Money 2004 Re-Install
Hey all, I bought the Money 2004 Deluxe download edition (where they just send you the registration code) and I'm trying to reinstall after a disk failure. I reinstalled the trial edition as I'd originally done (which required setting back my PC clock to 2004 *shrugs*) but the tools > registration option is diabled, and the 'Upgrade' option takes me to a useless micorosft.com webpage stating the product is no longer for sale (duh heh). Reading through the thread it sounds like I'm not the first to have this problem and it seems some say it's futile (or just by a d...

saving data in excel from word doc.
I have address labels in word doc. and I want to save it in excel. But it should be each address in differant column. How should I do that? If desired, send your file to my address below. I will only look if: 1. You send a copy of this message on an inserted sheet 2. You give me the newsgroup and the subject line 3. You send a clear explanation of what you want 4. You send before/after examples and expected results. -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "Evette" <Evette@discussions.microsoft.com&g...

Embedding Images in Word 2007
Hello, I have a question about an issue with Word 2007. I made a word document and pasted images into it as usual. I then saved as a pdf (all in Word 2007) and published the pdf to our website. When, on our website, I view the pdf and hover over any images, it shows where it "came from". (meaning my actual computer - which is impossible, because our office can't be accessed from the web. Also, the images are not "links" to images. I copied and then pasted into the document.) Similar to: "c:\david\documents\imagename.gif". We don't wan...

How do I strikethrough a word in Publisher?
I want to show the change being made in a schedule. I would like to strikethrough a word to indicate such. Susan wrote: > I want to show the change being made in a schedule. I > would like to strikethrough a word to indicate such. ================== Just manually add a line. Click the "Line" button in your left pane and left click drag it where you need it. To adjust the position of the line...left click/select it and nudge it with your arrow keys. -- *********Notice*********** This is not tech support ........I am a volunteer....... Solutions that work for me may...

How to make global changes to charts
Hi I have had occasion to make spreadsheets with 30 or more charts. I have needed to make the same change on all the charts, such as changing the x-axis label. Is there a way to do that all at once (all changed to the same thing) or must I tediously change each one at a time? Thanks Hi Rick, If its the x-axis label the easiest solution is to create the charts initially with the label referencing a spreadsheet cell rather than being hard coded. When you want to update all the labels you would just change the entry in the cell. All charts would use the same cell reference. How to ref...

Cell Value Override
I would like to know if there is a way to change the value of a cell by clicking on it. say for example, I have three boxes: one box has "Y", another has "N" and yet another has "NA". the goal is to click on one of the boxes and have the value replaced with an "X". Thanks. ...