Windows users cannot open attachments created in Office 2008

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Intel

I "upgraded" [HA!] from Office 2004 to Office 2008 in January. I soon discovered that Windows users could not open Word files I created (regardless of whether I saved them as .doc or .docx, and regardless of their ability to open .docx files.)

I don't remember how I fixed the problem, and it's happening in Excel too. I wasted several hours trying to find a fix and I can't. Mac users can open the .xls file I sent, but Windows users can't. I had no trouble uploading the files to a Windows network drive from a thumb drive, either.

I use Mac Mail for email, if that matters.

Any thoughts, other than try [again] to find my Office 2004 disc, or upgrade to NeoOffice?
0
Madroc (4)

I suspect this has nothing to do with any of the Office applications (as you
say yourself, the files work fine when uploaded via a thumb drive), but with
the encoding used by Mail. In Mail, make sure to check the option "Always
Send Windows-Friendly Attachments", which you can find in Edit>Attachments
in the application's main window. Also, make sure that the file extension is
always present for each file.

--
Michel Bintener
Microsoft MVP

*** Please always reply to the newsgroup. ***

0
mbintener1 (253)
9/13/2008 3:15:21 PM
Hello Madroc -

Rest assured that it *most likely* has nothing to do with Office 2008 itself
but there are some considerations that aren't new but are more important
than in the "good old days" :-) Security issues on the Dark Side have gone
ballistic in the last year or so with total disdain for the fact that there
are other operating systems out there.

First, make sure you tick the checkbox in Save As to Append File Extensions,

Second, in Mail use the Edit> Attachments - Always send Windows-Friendly
Attachments option, and

Third, send zipped rather than "naked" files.

It's also possible that the recipients having the problem are in an
environment where the email server has not been properly configured, & that
you can't control. Just advise them to download the file to their local HD
before attempting to open it rather than dbl-clicking the attachment icon.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 9/13/08 10:26 AM, in article 59b59678.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"Madroc@officeformac.com" <Madroc@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2008
> Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
> Processor: Intel
>
> I "upgraded" [HA!] from Office 2004 to Office 2008 in January. I soon
> discovered that Windows users could not open Word files I created (regardless
> of whether I saved them as .doc or .docx, and regardless of their ability to
> open .docx files.)
>
> I don't remember how I fixed the problem, and it's happening in Excel too. I
> wasted several hours trying to find a fix and I can't. Mac users can open the
> .xls file I sent, but Windows users can't. I had no trouble uploading the
> files to a Windows network drive from a thumb drive, either.
>
> I use Mac Mail for email, if that matters.
>
> Any thoughts, other than try [again] to find my Office 2004 disc, or upgrade
> to NeoOffice?

Thanks for the response. Now that you mention it, that's what the fix was with Word. But I just checked, and that box is checked (which is why I can send Word files to Windows users.) Any idea why Excel files behave differently? (Or why this problem didn't begin until I installed 2008?)
0
Madroc (4)
9/13/2008 3:25:48 PM
[Can't edit my post]

My response was to MB -- I missed the second one. Maybe the problem is that the recipient has to download first. The good news is that one of the recipients for the one thing I use Excel for is a Mac user, and she doesn't have any problems. Thanks again.
0
Madroc (4)
9/13/2008 3:28:41 PM
One other point not clear from your earlier post: Is Office fully updated
(12.1.2)? There was a problem with WinExcel opening files created by 2008
but [AFAIK] that was addressed effectively by the SP1 (12.1.0) update.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 9/13/08 11:25 AM, in article 59b59678.2@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"Madroc@officeformac.com" <Madroc@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the response. Now that you mention it, that's what the fix was with
> Word. But I just checked, and that box is checked (which is why I can send
> Word files to Windows users.) Any idea why Excel files behave differently? (Or
> why this problem didn't begin until I installed 2008?)

I'm running 12.1.2, so yes.
0
Madroc (4)
9/13/2008 4:33:00 PM
Michel Bintener wrote:

> I suspect this has nothing to do with any of the Office applications (as you
> say yourself, the files work fine when uploaded via a thumb drive), but with
> the encoding used by Mail. In Mail, make sure to check the option "Always
> Send Windows-Friendly Attachments", which you can find in Edit>Attachments
> in the application's main window. Also, make sure that the file extension is
> always present for each file.

I believe Michel is spot-on with his suggestion about encoding.
Optionally, you can right-click or Control-click your document in the
Finder and "Compress" the file into a .zip file. If that works then you
can guarantee the problem is with encoding.

--

bill

Entourage Help Page <http://entourage.mvps.org/>

Excel 2K3: Opening a spreadsheet, also opens book1.xls?
I double click on a spreadsheet and it opens, but it also opens the default book1. If I only open excel and close book1 and then open a spreadsheet there is no issue. So why is excel wanting to open the default book when opening an already created excel doc and second, how can I disable or resolve this issue to not open the book1 when opening a spreadsheet but still have it open book1 when I simply open excel only? Thanks in advance, Newtek Do you have a file called Book1.XLS in your XLSTART folder? Excel opens all files in that locale. Or use Tools|options, open General; is there a...

restore .ost file created in different exchange profile
Does anybody know how to restore email and other data from an .ost file created by a different user in a different domain name, please? OST files are linked to the mailbox/profile for which they were created. If you've got an orphaned one, you can't open it - you will need to google OST2PST (an old utility that may still be floating around) and try to run it against the file (make a backup copy first). Or see www.exchangerecovery.com - I know it works, but it's $$$. hughie wrote: > Does anybody know how to restore email and other data from > an .ost file created by a di...

Problems with new user's add...
We have a two independent W2003 servers/domain controlers. On one server i was instaled CRM 3.0 and all chapters working without problems but when i want adding CRM user from other DC i receiving error message about SOAP server problems. What it is? Whay i can't adding users from other trusted DC???? Pls i will be very grateful about any help........ Thanx ...

How to send attachment to a filtered email list of people
Surely there must be a way to add an attachment to an email template? Do you have to use the email template when sending direct email through CRM? Whenever I do an advanced find and want to do an email to the group, the only choice is email templates that don't seem to have any attachment options. Someone please tell me they have a workaround for this. Much appreciated!! There may be a way, using workflow Create a new, manually invoked workflow rule that generates direct email. Don't use the template option. Then you can select an attachment. (See the unsupported "slug...

Money 2005
I have used Money 2003 for 2 years now. I did not use ANY of the online features nor did I have a .NET Passport. I just purchased Money 2005. I took my existing .mny file and converted it for use in Money 2005. I enabled my checking account (from US Bank) to use online services. NOT ONLY did 2005 create a brand new duplicate account with my recent activity in it (see my other posting), BUT it also duplicated most of my existing budget categories too. For example, I had an existing category called "Day Care". Now I have two of them: "Day Care" and "Day Car...

External Email Permissions By Security Group/User Account?
Hi, I want to configure our Exchange 2003 server to only allow emailing external domains on a per user, or group basis (as we did previously with our Exchange 5.5 server). I added an SMTP connector to the routing group, and as a test, decided to instruct it to deny submission from myself.. Yet I can still send to whomever I wish. Any suggestions? Thanks, Darren Are you using Delivery Restrictions on the Connector? Did you enable restriction checking? Done by inserting the DWORD value "CheckConnectorRestrictions". Nee to restart Routing Engine and SMTP svc after you do thi...

blocked attachments #14
I want to allow *.mdb attachments from a safe sender. Can I do this on my computer without having them go through the extra steps of zipping or renaming the file? I have read all the help articles I can find, but so far can only see how to add file types to blocked senders, not remove them. I think the user should have control of this - how can I give Microsoft feedback? The user HAD control of this and Outlook got the reputation as a petri dish. Microsoft took it away and the rep has slowly gone away. However, to your situation, you need to post your version of Outlook in order...

Microsoft Office Cracks when Saving Document
Hi guys! I've a problem with the Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac. Whenever I want to save any document (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) it cracks, the little coloured circle appears and the program gets blocked. There's no way to save any document. I've noted, that the problem is the screen resolution. I'm using a 640x 480 resolution, but if I change it to 720 x 400 the program begins to work without problems. The problem is that I'm using a Samsung LCD Television/PC display, but the matrix of the screen is only 640x480. I used a S-video adapter to change the video input, and the...

Access 2003 VB Code Export Query Failing with Access 2007 user
I have a set of excel export queries I created in an access 2003 DB. Now, some of my users have upgraded to Access 2007 and are running in to a "Parameter" error when the execute the "canned" excel export queries I created for them. My only presumption is that it is due to the fact that I have hardcoded the export function, to go to an Office 2003 Excel file, and for whatever reason, Access 2007 cannot handle this. This make sense? And if so, any suggestions? I suppose if there was an easy way to test what version of office/excel they are running, I could change...

stop creating email link when @ sign is present
I want to stop the autoformatting when the @ sign is used in a field. How can I stop excel from automatically creating an email link when the @ sign is in a cell? Gregg, This feature can be turned OFF under Tools, AutoCorrect, the second tab, AutoFormat as You Type, unclick the first option Internet and Network Paths with Hyperlinks http://HelpExcel.com "gregg" wrote: > I want to stop the autoformatting when the @ sign is used in a field. How can > I stop excel from automatically creating an email link when the @ sign is in > a cell? gregg You don't say whic...

able to access the window but not interact with it
Hello: I ran across an interesting issue a couple of days ago with a Great Plains 8.0 client. This client does not have Field-Level Security nor does it have Modifier. The assistant business manager went into Batch Recovery to try to recover a payables computer checks batch. The batch would not post, since she did not enter control figures into the batch entry window. This is required per the Posting Setup window. Anyway, what was strange is that she could access this window but not see any batches in it. If I accessed Great Plains remotely and logged in as "sa", I coul...

IE 8 Won't open New Window or New Tabs in Server 2008 R2
The Situation: IE 8 won't open links in a new window or a new tab either through javascript or manually using the context menus. Page > New Window still works. Clicking the new tab interface button still works. A new process is opened for the new tab but it fails at 'connecting...' This is on a domain connected development workstation running Server 2008 R2 64-Bit. Accelerators turned off, ScreenFilter turned on. VB.NET 2010 Beta installed. Recent work on a project that involves the WebBrowser control. Java is 6.17. Forefront Client Security is installed. All upd...

How do I create a 4-d chart?
I am trying to create a chart with 4 dimensions. In effect, I need a 3-D column chart where the vertical bars are "stacked" colmns. How can I do this? Evanr Have you heard about Tufte's "small multiples" or Cleveland's "trellis" displays? These approaches create a series of small plots instead of trying to put everything into a single overly complex chart. I would stay away form 3D charts in Excel. Trellis is a trademarked by Insightful software. I use the term "panel charts" to reflect trellis and small multiple charts in Excel. I have...

User role setup on Business Portal
I would be eternally appreciated if anyone can answer to my question about Business Portal. I have been trying to delete roles to this sales person, from Site Settings -> Users and Permissions -> selecting the user from the left nav. then, Roles tab. By clicking the "Modify" button at the bottom, I can add a role(which was totally a mistake for me to do that), but I am not able to delete the role I just accidentally added. How am I supposed to delete that role? Please let me know. akio ...

Windows Update Agent 7.4.7600.226 11-25-09
Note: This question was posed to the vista.general group with no responses offered. My Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium has failed to load the subject update on 20 different occasions since 13Nov09. The "Error Details" is Code 80073712, which is nothing more than a general error code with no specific fixes recommended. I have also tried the manual workaround from the Window Help site as well as the Window Update Fix-It application to no avail. Anybody have an idea as to how to resolve this issue? I have found the following tool to be he...

OL2000 e-mail attachment
I have a peculiar problem with e-mail attachments: When I receive an e-mail with an attachment (.jpg format) from my own mobile phone, the attachment does not appear in the e-mail. Outlook simply does not acknowledge that the attachment exists at all - there's no paper clip icon in the Inbox list and no attachment listed in the e-mail. The size of the e-mail message indicates there is an attachment and in fact, the attachment is there--I can forward the e-mail to another recipient and they receive it normally, and they can then forward it back to me and I receive it normally. I ...

Change way attachments show up in XP Office
In Office XP Pro, my attachments, both received and sent, are now showing up just under the "Subject" box as file names. I want to change attachments back so that they appear as an icon down below the body of the message as they did in previous versions of OutLook. Any suggestions are most welcome. If you have a solution, please email me at: rweeks@cableone.net anytime. Thanks It all depends on your message format. HTML puts the attachment in the header. Rich Text puts it in the body. Plain Text puts it below the message body in a separate window. --� Milly Staples [MV...

Creating e-mail contacts
I have been advised to create mail-enabled contacts in the ESM. Could someone tell me what ESM is please? The requirement I am trying to resolve is to be able to provide all users with an address list containing a few contacts who are outside my organisation. Thanks in advance. ESM is Exchange System Manager, the admin program for Exchange 2000/2003. You do not create mail-enabled contacts in here, you need to use Active Directory Users and Computers. -- Paul Ford Microsoft UK LTD This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Samantha Wo...

Money 2005 Opening Money 98
I am trying to start using Money 2005 and every time I try to open up my current Money 98 file, it starts converting it but then Money 2005 crashes everytime during the conversion. Is this common and does anyone have a solution? ...

Error Message user Dependant
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_006D_01C4CF98.6677EA90 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Since installing Money 2005 on my XP machine with 6 users. I have a file = the 6 people should be able to open. The file can be opened by 2 limited = and 1 administrator account. =20 1-limited, 1-guest and one Administrator get this message in a Money = popup box. "The place you are trying to reach only functions in the Business = version of Money, and can't be used in the version you are usin...

Find User Object based on Logon Name
I need to find the location of the user object in AD based on the Logon Name IE: I have: JDoe123 (the logon name) I need: LDAP://cn=JohnDoe,ou=users,ou=aaa,ou=bbb,ou=ccc,DC=xxx thanks! By the way - a clarification: i dont know what ou the object is in, so i can not assume it lives in ou=users,ou=aaa,ou=bbb,ou=ccc,DC=xxx "pk" <pk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1F6CD335-545E-48DE-80DB-0E2E351AA177@microsoft.com... >I need to find the location of the user object in AD based on the Logon >Name > > IE: > I have: > ...

Windows 2008 R2 standard or enterprise
Hi all, I am going to decide which version of windows 2008 R2 for my domain controller(around 1300 users). Which option do I need and then I have to choose windows 2008 R2 enterprise (clustering does not count)? Any RAIDUS cient limitation? certificate server? Thnak you. Hello ed, It doesn't matter if you use standard or enterprise edition for a DC itself, but you have some roles/features not available or complete, see here about the details, especially for CA: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/r2-compare-roles.aspx http://www.microsoft.com/windows...

Attach/upload/link files to a form
I'd like to create an upload button in an access form that allows the user to upload a file, but I have a few questions: 1. Is this efficient? I'm assuming that if you upload multiple files on Access, there wouldn't be a lot of space available. 2. The reason I would prefer an upload is that I don't want to use the hyperlink option because hyperlinks can get broken either by a file being accidently moved to another directory or folder or simply changing the file name. 3. If uploading files onto an Access form -is- efficient and feasible, what kind of code would ...

Reinstalling Office
I have 2 machines a G4 and and iBook. I have had Office running on both of them as allowed for in the license agreement. However , when I did a clean install of 10.3 on my iBook (in order to get rid of a partition on a 20 meg. HD done when I installed 10.1) I had to reinstall Office X. It was an upgrade from Office 98. I managed to get it installed. But then when I opened Word I was informed I had exceeded the installation limit allowed for in the license. I could not find a reference to that limit in the license. So what am I to do? I only own 2 machines. I use the iBook when I travel but now...

IE6 hangs when open CRM
Hello, I have a problem with IE6 on XP SP2 Client, CRM web site won't open and IE close immediatly when i valid the URL. On other system (w2K3) it prompt for authentification and then works fine... What can i do ? ps: excuse my french accent... ;-) XP with SP2 has an automatic pop up stopper installed. Open IE and go to Tools from the top menu bar. You will see a popup stopper near the top, disable it and then try relaunching CRM. Brett "Nico" wrote: > Hello, > > I have a problem with IE6 on XP SP2 Client, CRM web site won't open and IE > close immedi...