Windows 7 leaves a lot to be desired

I could not find a Windows 7 group, so I chose General Discussion

I am a very satisfied Vista user with two new Win 7 machines. I believe that
with the advertising campaign "Simpler" Microsoft is leading the world on a
merry chase.

My complaints have to do with music, WMP12, and Windows Explorer.

In Explorer, when I went to my music library, I could not see album art
files. I was told that these files were hidden and to just change the
configuration to show hidden files. I did that and while some of them show,
many do not.

My other complaints have to do with tagging of music files. in WMP12,
Advanced Tag Editor has been removed to the consternation of many.

I do a lot of my tagging in Windows Explorer, using Properties, by selecting
all files in an album and making the appropriate changes. Well, I can no
longer access the categories of the albums, e.g. track titles, artists,
genre, etc.

So, so far, three complaints all having to do with music files.

When Microsoft says Windows 7 was made "simpler", it really means or like a
Mac, where the user can do little configuration.

I experimented with both iTunes and Safari software and found them totally
lacking because I could not configure them the way I want them to be. That is
where Windows 7 takes us.

On 2010-04-19 14:57:01 -0400, Richard Mitnick said:

> I could not find a Windows 7 group, so I chose General Discussion

You mean the General "Office for Mac" discussion??
Not sure I would have chosen the same group ;-)

Corentin

--
          --- Office:Mac MVP  http://www.cortig.net/wordpress/ ---

iso
4/19/2010 7:13:24 PM
On 4/19/10 11:57 AM, Richard Mitnick wrote:
> I could not find a Windows 7 group, so I chose General Discussion

For a list of all PC groups see: Office Discussion Groups

<http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/FlyoutOverview.mspx>

--
Diane Ross, Microsoft Mac MVP
Follow us on twitter <https://twitter.com/entouragehelp>
"Diane Ross" wrote:

> On 4/19/10 11:57 AM, Richard Mitnick wrote:
> > I could not find a Windows 7 group, so I chose General Discussion
>
> For a list of all PC groups see: Office Discussion Groups
>
> <http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/FlyoutOverview.mspx>
>
> --
> Diane Ross, Microsoft Mac MVP
> Entourage Help Page   <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/>
> Entourage Help Blog  <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/>
> Follow us on twitter <https://twitter.com/entouragehelp>
> .

No worries, it happens quite often. The Forum interface leaves a lot to be
desired.

--
Diane

0
Diane

Losing email in Windows live mail on Windows 7
I am losing some emails that come into my mailbox. I can read it in the Quick View "Unread emails" view but it does not show up in my Inbox or in any other folders. Open that inbox folder, than click View, Show or hide, Show all = messages. If you don't see the View button, press Alt first. --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com "Virgil" <Virgil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:19D2BA1C-BBF4-4E10-8CDC-6BC3406D2E77@microsoft.com... >I am losing some emails that ...

Please help #7
I have 2 front-end servers (OWA 2003 servers) and 3 backend servers (Exchange 2003 clustering). -- users have no problem login to Outlook 2003 to access email. -- users using OWA 2003, after keyin the user id & password on the pop-up credential windows. It shows an error page below, this happened even using internal LAN workstations. Thus, nothing to do with firewall. -- the last thing i did was upgraded all Windows 2003 servers to SP1 and all Exchange 2003 to SP1. Pls HELP..... The page cannot be displayed........... ........................................ HTTP 500 - Internal serv...

RMS 2.0/Windows Permissions Error
Good Morning Everyone, I have a question for the group. I have a customer running RMS 2.0, pre SP2 on Windows XP. The customer is trying to lock down his cashiers from installing unauthorized software and other such abuses on the computers. Here is the problem. When locked down he is getting the error: "Server Failure 139: A server failure occurred while attempting to read the register." This error only happens as the POS and goes away when the user is added as a local administrator. I am fairly confident this is a problem with permissions regarding licensing or OPOS, bu...

modeless message window in a regular dll?
Hello community, I have written a regular dll that should just show a status window. The problem is that I have no control over the application calling the dll. The application should not be aware of the status window. The window should just be modeless (it shouldn't block *any* application GUI) and it should show a status message. If possible, it should have a Close button. The dll uses a worker thread for requests from the application and it uses a UI thread for socket operations. Note that I use MFC in the dll (which could make it more comfortable to create the window - or - on the ot...

How to change background color of a window that has been created.
I need to change the background of a window that has been created, can you help? Hello Jerry, > I need to change the background of a window that has been created, can > you help? > Answer depends upon the type of window. Typically you can do this in OnEraseBkgnd. Certain controls respond to WM_CTLCOLOR and yet some other, like CButton, need to be owner drawn to change the color. If you have a generic CWnd, you can always specify the brush in the window class; so no special painting is needed. This is good when you know that the background will have one color all the time. -...

windows 7 pro 64bit installing 32bit app
i am installing a 32 bit app on a 64 bit win7 platform it registers regsize32.ocx in the install but when i try and load the app it fails on that file and i can not run regsvr32 as the file is not present where does win7 place 32 but drivers like program files x86 You will find the 32bit version of regsvr32 at c:\windows\syswow64. The ocx might be in the same folder as regsvr32 or could be in the folder where you installed the app (\program files(x86)). "Stuart Macleod" <StuartMacleod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A82A204E-43C3-4BB6-9691-6DB4...

Overlapped/Hidden window?
Is there any way to find out that one window(Static text)is overlapped/hidden by other(ComboBox)? ...

Problems with Publisher 2000 and Windows 2000
One of my clients started having problems with Microsoft Publisher 2000 last week. Whenvever she tries to run it on her Windows 2000 box, Windows installer comes up and asks her to insert her office CD, she does, and then she receives an error message saying "The installation source for this product is not available." She is an administrator of her own machine, but ironically, the user "administrator" can run publisher without any problem. I have had this problem with the first disk of Office 2000 in the past, and microsoft was able to resolve it by sending a pr...

installing Windows Server SP2 onto SBS 2003 SP1
I have SBS 2003 SP1. I have been keeping up with all the windows updates for this machine and would like to update the machine to SP2. I had heard that if you try to update the SBS 2003 SP1 server to SP2, you need to unload a lot of the updates issued after the SP2 was submitted. Is this true? Hi Carl, This hasn't been my experience. And there is no SBS 2003 SP2. It's Windows 2003 SP2 installed on top of SBS 2003 SP1 (which already has Win2003 SP1 installed). Run the SBS 2003 BPA prior to the install of Win2003 SP2 to make sure you don't have an issues ...

MS Outlook 2002 Running in Windows 98
I just changed to a new ISP. The ISP walked me through setting up an email account for their site. I no longer have a send button. I also can't see Send/Receive under Tools. I have looked and looked to no avail. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Abby Abby, Try resetting your toolbars to the default settings. Note that you will lose any customizations you've made to them, but I think it will let you get your "Send/Receive" button and menu item back. -- Regards, Chris Burnham Microsoft Exchange Support This posting is provided "AS IS" with no...

Importing portfolio to Netscape 7.2
Having trouble viewing portfolio with IE6.0 Updates every minute regardless of update freq settings. Cannot do any work. Therefore...... Is there a way to import my stock portfolio from Microsoft Money online server into Netscape 7.2 "Money & Business" portfolio ? If I have to rebuild it from scratch in Netscape, it would take a month to re-enter all the historical buy and sell activity. If I do not, all Gains & Losses YTD and over-all will be false. Thanks for any help. Jim. ...

Complex IF, more than 7 nests
I have a test that needs to run against 5 pair of data (total number of 25 combinations) using IF and AND. The TRUE result of the IF statement will perform an array calculation. The problem is that Excel limits the number of nested IF statements to seven. How would you go about doing this? I'm sure there is a more appropriate, powerful way that I'm just not aware of as an intermediate user. Example: Task phrased in plain English: Step 1: Look at value for This Week's Incentive Bands, New Contract to determine which array to use for "New Incentives" calculation. I'...

Access 2007 Special Effect Text Box Won't show Sunken with Windows XP
Hi All I am just getting to grips with Access 2007 and one of the quirks I have found is that when I design using Windows in XP Windows-Classic colors and set the text boxes on forms' special effect property to "sunken" They appear as sunken in the correct manner. However, when I change to the Windows XP color scheme the forms text boxes appear flat even though the special effect property has not changed. Any ideas or is it a new quirk we have to live with. I haven't tried it with Vista yet. That should be interesting Thanks Bob I am quite sure this is the same for acce...

move Mailbox #7
Move Mail Box fails becasue of having lot of courrtion in mailbox. but mailbox opens sucessfully in outlook and i can read all the emails from outlook. Hi, The mailbox move manager will give you a report (you have to check this before you hit 'finish'). It will show tell you the corrupt items in the mailbox - their subject and location. You can then get the user to delete them, before re-running the move. Alternatively you can just set your corrupt item count to be the 'same +1' as the total number of corrupt messages in the mailbox. If the user can open and read...

NewsMaestro Usenet Supertool v. 4.4.8 for Windows/Linux/Unix released
Download page: http://rapidshare.com/files/118192521/NewsMaestro_4.4.8_Src.zip (Hit Free button to download. For some download managers you need to open the .html file it downloaded to do actual download.) * Documentation update. * Bug fix in Archive 2 HTML generator while doing ReChapter. News Maestro is a power tool for usenet that automatically performs any standard Usenet operation, as specified in various RFCs, individually, or in bulk, on any number of groups and articles, utilizing sophisticated filters to select the articles to be processed. As an automated tool to do anything you...

windows media player fails
Yesterday I uploaded MVI_1138.AVI from my camera to my laptop. Then I played it (to see if it was good). Then I played it for guests twice more (so it must have been good). Today it will not play. WMP indicates that it does not recognize the file type. Any suggestions??? Charles ...

test #7

length of lot number
increase the amount of characters in the lot number field. current field length is not ample space to adequately describe lots in our organization. Length of the item description was increased to 100. In our case, lots are as important as items. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agre...

16-year old completes Sail Around the World in 7 months
Australian teen completes round-the-world sail May 15, 5:36 AM (ET) By KRISTEN GELINEAU SYDNEY (AP) - A 16-year-old Australian who spent seven months at sea in her pink yacht sailed across the finish line of her round-the-world journey Saturday, becoming the youngest sailor to circle the globe solo, nonstop and unassisted. Thousands of spectators erupted into cheers as Jessica Watson sailed into Sydney Harbour, the finale to an epic adventure in which she battled 40-foot (12-meter) waves, homesickness and critics who said she'd never make it home alive. "She said ...

IE 8 Won't open New Window or New Tabs in Server 2008 R2
The Situation: IE 8 won't open links in a new window or a new tab either through javascript or manually using the context menus. Page > New Window still works. Clicking the new tab interface button still works. A new process is opened for the new tab but it fails at 'connecting...' This is on a domain connected development workstation running Server 2008 R2 64-Bit. Accelerators turned off, ScreenFilter turned on. VB.NET 2010 Beta installed. Recent work on a project that involves the WebBrowser control. Java is 6.17. Forefront Client Security is installed. All upd...

able to access the window but not interact with it
Hello: I ran across an interesting issue a couple of days ago with a Great Plains 8.0 client. This client does not have Field-Level Security nor does it have Modifier. The assistant business manager went into Batch Recovery to try to recover a payables computer checks batch. The batch would not post, since she did not enter control figures into the batch entry window. This is required per the Posting Setup window. Anyway, what was strange is that she could access this window but not see any batches in it. If I accessed Great Plains remotely and logged in as "sa", I coul...

Windows Update Agent 7.4.7600.226 11-25-09
Note: This question was posed to the vista.general group with no responses offered. My Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium has failed to load the subject update on 20 different occasions since 13Nov09. The "Error Details" is Code 80073712, which is nothing more than a general error code with no specific fixes recommended. I have also tried the manual workaround from the Window Help site as well as the Window Update Fix-It application to no avail. Anybody have an idea as to how to resolve this issue? I have found the following tool to be he...

Knowledge Base Little to be Desired
I don't know if it's just me but I can never find anything I can use to fix my issues in the knowledge base, ever since I started using it before 2000. On top of that according to the site and my maintenance aggreement I should be getting replies on my posts here within 2 days but never do. I'm going to give this one a shot. My issue today is that I have a Invoice from a vendor that needs to be paid. When I go to auto invoice the PO doesn't show up for that Vendor. If I try to input it manually it says that it's already been invoiced. This is not the case, ho...

multiple windows
I can't get multiple windows for my outlook, e.g. 1 window for my outlook today, and 1 for my inbox. But I can do that for the rest of the office applications like word and excel. Pls help. Thxs. BH. ...

OE with Windows 7?
I am about to buy a computer with Windows 7. I currently use Win XP and prefer to use Outlook Express. I find it available as a download on MS website. Will it install and run on Win 7? If not, they recommend Live Mail. Is it similar to OE. The OE feature I like best is the multiple identities. My friend has Vista with Mail. He has to log into his computer with a different identity anytime he wishes to send mail from a different identity. In OE you can simply click on file Switch Identities to do that. OE can not run on Win7. If you get the Pro or Ultimate edition,...