want to un-install Office X, can't

I want to re-install MS Office X on my iMac, having tried everything
else mentioned in this and other forums to get rid of a quit-on-
startup issue.

Trouble is, I get a "you don't have permission to do this" when I try
to run the uninstall program. I originally had Office on a G4 iMac,
then moved it early last year to an Aluminum iMac. (It will no longer
run, of course, on the older computer, which is on the same network.)
I'm told to log on as the user who installed the program ... but there
are three user id's on my new iMac and none of them will run the un-
installer. What to do?

(Even if I decide to bail on Office X and move to Office '08, which
I'm tempted to do, I need an answer so that I can use the older Office
on my old computer ...)
0
cshea2 (13)

The instructions in this KB article should provided the solution you need:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323675/en-us

BTW - If "moved it" means anything other than doing a regular full install
from the source disk that's probably what caused the problem :-)
Applications files transferred from one system to another carry specifics
created during the original installation as indelible markings & the info
encoded on the target system doesn't match up.

--
HTH |:>)
Bob Jones

"Charlie Shay" <cshea2@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I want to re-install MS Office X on my iMac, having tried everything
> else mentioned in this and other forums to get rid of a quit-on-
> startup issue.
>
> Trouble is, I get a "you don't have permission to do this" when I try
> to run the uninstall program. I originally had Office on a G4 iMac,
> then moved it early last year to an Aluminum iMac. (It will no longer
> run, of course, on the older computer, which is on the same network.)
> I'm told to log on as the user who installed the program ... but there
> are three user id's on my new iMac and none of them will run the un-
> installer. What to do?
>
> (Even if I decide to bail on Office X and move to Office '08, which
> I'm tempted to do, I need an answer so that I can use the older Office
> on my old computer ...)

0
CyberTaz
1/14/2009 9:56:50 PM
In article
<24e54fef-8c51-4890-a81f-2ba22805bfcf@t11g2000yqg.googlegroups.com>,
 Charlie Shay <cshea2@gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to re-install MS Office X on my iMac, having tried everything
> else mentioned in this and other forums to get rid of a quit-on-
> startup issue.
>
> Trouble is, I get a "you don't have permission to do this" when I try
> to run the uninstall program. I originally had Office on a G4 iMac,
> then moved it early last year to an Aluminum iMac. (It will no longer
> run, of course, on the older computer, which is on the same network.)
> I'm told to log on as the user who installed the program ... but there
> are three user id's on my new iMac and none of them will run the un-
> installer. What to do?
>
> (Even if I decide to bail on Office X and move to Office '08, which
> I'm tempted to do, I need an answer so that I can use the older Office
> on my old computer ...)

Sounds like you probably "transferred" Office from one machine to
another and your permissions are hosed up.

You should always install Office from the install disk. Of course, even
if you did, it still sounds like your permissions are hosed up.

If so, that may be the source of your crashes, too.

Did you reset disk permissions using Disk Utility?
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
1/14/2009 10:02:42 PM
Thanks for the response. Yes, I think I just used "disk target" and
transferred every program I planned to continue using ... I guess I'm
lucky that this is the only application I screwed up.

--Chris

On Jan 14, 4:56=A0pm, "CyberTaz" <typegeneraltaz1ATcomcastdotnet> wrote:
> The instructions in this KB article should provided the solution you need=
:

> BTW - If "moved it" means anything other than doing a regular full instal=
> from the source disk that's probably what caused the problem :-)
> Applications files transferred from one system to another carry specifics
> created during the original installation as indelible markings & the info
> encoded on the target system doesn't match up.
>
> --
> HTH |:>)
> Bob Jones
> [MVP] Office:Mac
>
> "Charlie Shay" <csh...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I want to re-install MS Office X on my iMac, having tried everything
> > else mentioned in this and other forums to get rid of a quit-on-
> > startup issue.
>
> > Trouble is, I get a "you don't have permission to do this" when I try
> > to run the uninstall program. I originally had Office on a G4 iMac,
> > then moved it early last year to an Aluminum iMac. (It will no longer
> > run, of course, on the older computer, which is on the same network.)
> > I'm told to log on as the user who installed the program ... but there
> > are three user id's on my new iMac and none of them will run the un-
> > installer. What to do?
>
> > (Even if I decide to bail on Office X and move to Office '08, which
> > I'm tempted to do, I need an answer so that I can use the older Office
> > on my old computer ...)

0
cshea2 (13)
1/15/2009 3:16:06 PM
On Jan 14, 5:02=A0pm, JE McGimpsey <jemcgimp...@mvps.org> wrote:
> In article
> <24e54fef-8c51-4890-a81f-2ba22805b...@t11g2000yqg.googlegroups.com>,
> =A0Charlie Shay <csh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I want to re-install MS Office X on my iMac, having tried everything
> > else mentioned in this and other forums to get rid of a quit-on-
> > startup issue.
>
> > Trouble is, I get a "you don't have permission to do this" when I try
> > to run the uninstall program. I originally had Office on a G4 iMac,
> > then moved it early last year to an Aluminum iMac. (It will no longer
> > run, of course, on the older computer, which is on the same network.)
> > I'm told to log on as the user who installed the program ... but there
> > are three user id's on my new iMac and none of them will run the un-
> > installer. What to do?
>
> > (Even if I decide to bail on Office X and move to Office '08, which
> > I'm tempted to do, I need an answer so that I can use the older Office
> > on my old computer ...)
>
> Sounds like you probably "transferred" Office from one machine to
> another and your permissions are hosed up.
>
> You should always install Office from the install disk. Of course, even
> if you did, it still sounds like your permissions are hosed up.
>
> If so, that may be the source of your crashes, too.
>
> Did you reset disk permissions using Disk Utility?

Yes, this sounds like the problem; I did repair the disk permissions,
though, as I went about trying to fix things.
0
cshea2 (13)

Assistants in Office 2004
In previous versions of Office, one could install other Office assistants from the Gallery of assistants. I can't find the other assistants anywhere on the Office 2004 install CD to add to that gallery, and only Max is available. I find Max's antics very distracting and have always preferred the simple puzzle icon. Is there a way to get any of the other choices back? Thanks in advance. --- Please remove NOSPAM to reply privately if you are so inclined, ramoncNOSPAM at NOSPAMsurewest dot NOSPAM netNOSPAM. Otherwise, replies to the Newsgroup are always welcome. That's t...

cannot install Office 2001 Combo update 9,0,4
When I try to launch it on my G4, the Classic Environment is automatically launched. Then I get the following message: "The default location for this install cannot be found.This install will be cancelled." I have no trouble with other installs. Hi It sounds like you may have put your Office 2001 installation in a place other than the default location and the updater can't find it. Is that possible? -Jim Gordon Mac MVP All responses should be made to this newsgroup within the same thread. Thanks. About Microsoft MVPs: http://www.mvps.org/ Search for help with the free Googl...

Problems installing IM on server
We recently upgraded to Dynamics GP 9.0, when we tried to upgrade/install integration manager on the server, it refused to complete the install and rolled back the installation. However when we installed it on a client machine, the installation/upgrade went through without a hitch. Why am I having a problem loading it on the server? I've never loaded IM on the server. Only on workstations. The only thing that should be on the server for IM is the IM Database for shared access. "Leni" wrote: > We recently upgraded to Dynamics GP 9.0, when we tried to upgrade/install ...

Out of Office Assistant not working
I have a user in my company who set up an Out of Office reply before he left on vacation, but the reply is not going out to anyone. We are using Exchange 5.5 SP4 on Windows 2000 SP4. The client is Outlook 2000 SR-1. On the server side, there are no alternate recipients assigned to him. He doesn't have any rules set up in his Rules Wizard, and he has no delegates setup in his Outlook client, either. Can anyone offer any help on this? Thanks. On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 11:06:48 -0800, "Mark Z" <mzuchlewsk@dol.wa.gov> wrote: >I have a user in my company who set up an Out...

Publisher 2003 Installation
We are wanting to upgrade our existing Publisher 98 to Publisher 2003. Can we install Publisher 2003 on two seperate computers within our home or do we need to buy two copies of the program? Two copies. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "John" <dg4b@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:28722BAD-C90B-42F1-9538-306BCD7CB637@microsoft.com... > We are wanting to upgrade our existing Publisher 98 to Publisher 2003. > Can > we install Publisher 2003 on two seperate computers within our home or do > we > need to buy two copies of the program? JoAnn ...

installing
I am trying to install Publisher 2000 Deluxe on my new computer running windows xp home edition and I am getting an error saying it can't access file e:\pfiles\msoffice\clipart\standard\standard.mmg. How do I get past this or get this file? The file is a clipart folder. Are you doing a custom install? If you click run all from my computer you may not get this error. Look on the media disk for the standard folder. It will say something similar to this: E:\PFILES\MSOFFICE\CLIPART\STANDARD\ The mmc is the catalog. It could be you can copy and paste. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.m...

Installing addin on server
I have a nifty addin that I want to make available through a web site. Is it possible to install an addin located on the web? (I tried adding the ftp'd website address but was unsuccessful.) TIA Did you try Browse from the Tools, Addins dialog? At the bottom of the "look in" drop down is "FTP Locations". -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "zSplash" <zNOSPAMSplash@ gci.net> wrote in message news:O%23roM8gMEHA.1188@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... |I have a nifty addin that I want to make available through a web site. Is | it possible to install an addin located on ...

Setup was unable to install Microsoft CRM Server
Hi, At the end of the installation process we get following error: "Setup was unable to install Microsoft CRM Server. Setup was unable to provision your organization. Setup was unable to create root business unit. Unknown error (80004000)" I believe it coud be a DNS error. However, all settings seem to be fine. I am installing CRM with an account that has Domain Admin priviledges. However, it seems that the setup can not create the first organizational unit after some basic NT User Groups are created. Anybody had the same problem? Ralf, If you are installing the new 1.2 it cre...

Which one first?Install Windows Server 2003 SP1 or Exchange SP2 ? #2
Hi, We are running Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003. We planned to update the software in terms of patches, so which one should I do first, the OS patches (SP1 and onwards) or the Exchange patches ? By the way, any issue with Exchange SP2 ? Rgrds, Zul See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=37488 and http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=896742. I would recomment upgrading Exchange first. -- Regards, Roland "Zul J" wrote: > Hi, > > We are running Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003. We planned to update > the software in terms of patches, so which one...

I want my Welcome Screen back!
I am using Windows XP Pro SP 3 I've had it setup for 4 users for the family members of my home and we use Fast Switching with the Welcome Screen (which conveniently allows you to see all 4 users, click on them to unveil a password field and then you can log in) Then two days ago I noticed some rogue "anti virus" software on there and quickly found instructions to remove it which including installing and using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software. It scanned my PC, found dozens of problems, and I had it fix them. Then when I reboot my PC suddenly no longer has ...

Installing Updates
I keep trying to install these updates, but they continue to fail to install. I have disabled my McAfee, but it still wont install. I am at a loss. Any suggestions? Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2007 (KB982308) Security Update for Microsoft Office InfoPath 2007 (KB979441) Security Update for Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 (KB982158) Security Update for Microsoft Office Publisher 2007 (KB982124) Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2007 (KB982135) Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB982312) Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft O...

Installation Question
I would like to install Vista on a Macintosh I have. It's a 250 g hard drive, but I've already used up 150 g. Is there a way not to put on all that extra junk that comes with Windows? I've already bought it a year and a half ago, the macintosh hard drive was replaced. Thank you On 12 Jul 2010, safety123@aol.com wrote in microsoft.public.windows.vista.general: > I would like to install Vista on a Macintosh I have. > It's a 250 g hard drive, but I've already used up 150 g. > > Is there a way not to put on all that extra junk that comes with ...

CRM 1.2 Installation Error 800700B7 unable to Configure Web Services
Hi, I have followed the steps and pre-requisites in the Installation guide, however, every time I have tried to install the productl, I get a message stating "Setup was unable to install CRM Server. Setup was unable to configure the Web Services that are using ASP.NET. Cannot create a file when that file already exists (800700B7). Can somebody please help me with this? I am unable to use the product because of this error, as the installation does not complete all of the necessary steps. Thank you in advance. CM not sure if you are using windows 2000 server or not, but I had a sim...

Couldn't print so unistalled and now Office won't upgrade
Hi, I recently upgraded from a PowerBook to an 24" iMac. Since the iMac is my primary machine I uninstalled Office 2004 from my PowerBook and installed it on my iMac. Everything was working fine until about a week ago (I think after I installed the 11.3.4 patch). (Only) Office was running extremely slow and I was unable to print from using any of the apps. I am able to print using other applications (Pages, etc.). Out of frustration I uninstalled Office and tried to re-installed it. I originally purchased Office 10 and then the upgrade to 2004. Office 10 works (loads fast but does...

Office:mac 2004 language?
I live in Germany and recently purchased Microsoft Office:mac 2004 Student/Teacher version in German. I am primarily an English-speaker, however, and want to be sure that this German version will allow me to install it in English, and not German. Anyone know, so I can decide whether or not to unwrap it? Hello Heidi, unfortunately, Office is, as far as menus are concerned, monolingual, i.e. if you have bought the German version of Office 2004, all your menus will be in German, too, and there's no way to change them to English, or any other language, for that matter. Since English is yo...

I did install Genuine Advantage ActiveX control. But why could not find it in my IE Add-ons List?
Several days ago, I downloaded Windows Mobile Device Center from Micorosft web site for my Windows 7. As it needed Windows Genuine Verification, I installed the Genuine Advantage ActiveX control for my IE8. But now, I can not find this activeX control in my IE Add-ons List( IE -> Tools -> Manage Add-ons options of Internet Explorer ). Anyone could tell me why and where? Thanks in advance. It installed and it is not removable in any shape or form. Once done (Genuine Advantage ActiveX) it is done :-) -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of oth...

Signature Removes after Office Updates
All clients have signatures setup with disclaimers. However, after applying Microsoft updates via WSUS, the settings for the signatures are removed and are not automatically showing on new mail and replies. Can anyone provide some direction on what to look into to get this corrected? This client must have the disclaimers show on every new mail and reply coming from within the network. Thanks !!! ...

install onenote from stuent suite onto a pc with small business su
Hi, I have a small business edition on one pc and a 3 user licence student suite used on another machine. Can I install onenote from the student suite 'into' the smal business suite? Does your sbe allow for installation on 2 devices? "ukcharlie" <ukcharlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:859C719A-5F9C-4C08-8F1C-30BFC8E8C62A@microsoft.com... > Hi, I have a small business edition on one pc and a 3 user licence student > suite used on another machine. Can I install onenote from the student > suite > 'into' the smal busin...

Publishing Auto installing with refresh
I installed Office Beta 2 Refresh. I originally had not installed Publisher. However, after installing the refresh, Publisher was automatically installed. Is the refresh supposed to do this? Consider you got yourself a bonus. At least now you will have the chance to evaluate a decent program. You should be ashamed of yourself not installing Publisher originally. -- ...

what is my server if my computer is vista and office 2003?
my computer is vista home basic with copy right 2007 service pack 2,office 2003 and internet explorer 8. Can I know the followings? 1. What is my server (enable to upgrade server) 2. What is my office 2007 or 2003? 3. Can office 2003 to upgrade to what grade without costs? 1. I doubt very much that you have a server. Are you on a network (home or office)? Why do you think you want to upgrade a server? 2. We have no idea what version of Office you own. You can either look at your receipt or open the program and look in the Help file. 3. Upgrades are not free. -- JoAnn Pa...

installing sql server 2008 express or 2010 express
I get always errors and im not able to continue,,,,,,can anyone help me plz? Thanks On Jan 5, 10:55=A0am, "eusclide" <e...@me.it> wrote: > I get always errors and im not able to continue,,,,,,can anyone help me p= lz? > Thanks 1. This is not the appropriate discussion group for SQL Server issues. 2. If you expect any response at all, you need to indicate the exact errors you are getting. More specifics. "eusclide" <eus@me.it> wrote in news:Ouk449hjKHA.1536@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl: > I get always errors and im not able to continue,,,...

FRx Installation #2
(I don't think this question belongs here, but the guys at FRx sent me here.) We are using Great Plains 8.00g7 and want to create reports using FRx. I had v6.5 installed, tried to install 6.7, install failed. Deleted everything I could find associated with 6.5, tried 6.7 install again; failed again. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mookie When you fail, what do you mean it fails, does it pop up with any messages? a bit more detail on where it fails might shed light on whats going on "mookie blaylock" wrote: > (I don't think this question belongs he...

Cannot Install / Find Driver for Microsoft 2.4GHz Transceiver USB?
I recently purchased a Microsoft Comfort 5000 wireless keyboard and mouse. I can successfully install the software associated with the keyboard and mouse, but when I plug in the USB Transceiver device Windows Install shield tells me "the hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software'. I've tried manually to search the disk and my hard drive and it still cannot find the software. It doesn't matter if I plug the USB device into any of the USB slots on my PC. I'm running Windows XP and have had similar install problems with ...

Remote installation problem
We have a few Windows 98 machines left in our shop that had their original Office 2000 installation done from a network location. These machines mysteriously started acting up this morning. Sometimes Outlook would open and work fine, then other times it would open, then after opening a message it would lock up. Nothing had been changed on the pc's, but the only thing I could think of was that we had decommissioned a server last night. Turns out, this was the server with the network share that the original install was performed from. Sure enough, I turned the server back on, and...

Office 2004 Demo
Is there a trial version to see if we like the changes to the suite? Based on what I have read, I am very interested, but I am not too nuts about buying two copies for my Macs without "kicking the tires," as it were. Thanks, Chris In article <5c6d721e.0405171418.7f9ba736@posting.google.com>, cjohnnelson@yahoo.com (Chris) wrote: > Is there a trial version to see if we like the changes to the suite? > Based on what I have read, I am very interested, but I am not too nuts > about buying two copies for my Macs without "kicking the tires," as it > were. ...