Upgraded both of my macs to Office 2004 and wish I could have Office x back! Any help?!?!

Hi,

I am running a G5 Imac 1.8Ghz and a G4 Powerbook 1.5GHz and have been
happily running office X on both machines for as long as I've owned
them (1 and 2 years respectively)  Before the Pbook, I also had an I
book running Office X for 18 months with no troubles.

I just installed Office 2004 2 weeks ago, and am consistently noticing,
on both machines, serious system slowdown over the course of the day.
To the point where, by mid-afternooon, my system needs to be restarted.
 The symptoms are identical on both macs (naturally the Pbook runs even
 slower than the G5 as these problems advance).

My day consists of using entourage extensively all day long, Word and
Excel sporadically, and Firefox and/or Safari, usually with quite a few
tabs open at once.  A day rarley goes by that I don't run two or three
searches in Entourage, tackling a database of about 8000 messages, if I
choose to search the root folder...

Under my normal useage as desctribed, everthing ran smoothly over the
past 3 years with Office X as the cornerstone of my operations.
NOW....with office 2004 my macs are, by mid day, choking on something.
I can't switch readily between tabs in my browsers, and eventually the
browsers seem to almost lock up if I work a long enough day (and browse
a handful of sites).  The only thing that prevents this behavior is
running an entire session without ever launching any office 2004
products (like a weekend day spend browsing the web instead of working
on projects that require office).  On those days it's as though nothing
has changed.

My gut feeling is that there is a failure in 2004 to allocate memory
properly (is microsoft being a "hog" in this case??) and more
importantly, release memory when it's no longer used.

I consider myself a slightly advanced user, but this one seems like a
deeper problem than I am able to solve with a few settings adjusted...
 The mac is almost behaving as though it's infected with some of the
overwrought elements one finds in a Windows XP machine (Anecdotally: I
once was a Windows user...ever tried their system search in XP (the one
with the puppy)?  -It always made me long, desperately, for the at
least 100% faster search that ran in Windows 98...)

My work life was less complicated prior to this "upgrade"....so I'm
seriously thinking about getting back to office X so that I can have
both macs perfoming again,  all the live-long day!

Does anyone know how to move Entourage databases back to Office X, and
if so, what might be lost in the process??

Thanks,
Dave

sunrise <sunrise.db@gmail.com> wrote:

        Hi,

> My gut feeling is that there is a failure in 2004 to allocate memory
> properly (is microsoft being a "hog" in this case??) and more
> importantly, release memory when it's no longer used.

I've never noticed anything like that with my setup. I would make sure
Office 2004 is perfectly up to date and repair permissions with Disk
Utility.
If you want to monitor Office apps, I would recommend using the Activity
monitor. It will tell you exactly what apps are using all the CPU and
memory.

Corentin

--
                    --- Mac:MS MVP (Francophone) ---
korventeen (753)

How's your available HD free space?

Are you using a synched iDisk or is journaling enabled?

BTW-

>My gut feeling is that there is a failure in 2004 to allocate memory
>properly (is microsoft being a "hog" in this case??) and more
>importantly, release memory when it's no longer used.

I believe this is all handled by OS X, unlike prior versions where
memory requirements were dictated by the apps. FWIW, my 'gut feeling'
is that this is more likely an OS/hardware issue rather than an Office
issue.

I run 2004 on a G5 Dual 2GB, 1.5GB RAM and it isn't uncommon for me to
have Safari, Apple Mail, Word, Excel, Entourage & either PhotoShop
CS/CS2 or InDesign CS/CS2 (sometimes both) running concurrently with
_no_ degradation in performance. I use Entourage only as a newsreader,
so I don't have the quantity of email/db you refer to, but that could
be a contributing factor.

Regards |:>)

Thanks, Office is indeed up to date.  I'll give your other suggestions
a try!

Here's one mystery detail about both of my macs:  I have never been
able to run Activity monitor on either one.  It bounces a couple of
times in the dock and then dissapears!  This has always been the
case...  Ever heard of such a thing?

OS 10.3.9

Over 100GB free on the Imac

Only around 5-10GB free on the pBook

Both have 1.25GB RAM

No Sync'd Idisk, No Journaling enabled.

I failed to mention I also use Photoshop and Illustrator daily as well.
  Always without complaint until this upgrade of Office...

What prompted me to write was that the downgrade in performance
happened on both machines with this upgrade.  I can still run most apps
fine, but invariably my web-based apps start to get boggy at the end of
the day...

I'll try Corentin's tip of repairing permissions...

sunrise <sunrise.db@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's one mystery detail about both of my macs:  I have never been
> able to run Activity monitor on either one.  It bounces a couple of
> times in the dock and then dissapears!  This has always been the
> case...  Ever heard of such a thing?

Yep... Try repairing Permissions (using DiskUtility). That doesn't sound
too good... If you have a disk repair utility, you should give it a try
too. If you don;t, boot on your MacOS X install CD/DVD and run
DiskUtility from there o check your drive. THere is something fishy in
your install :-\

Corentin

--
                    --- Mac:MS MVP (Francophone) ---
korventeen (753)
sunrise <sunrise.db@gmail.com> wrote:

> No Sync'd Idisk, No Journaling enabled.

Why don't you use journalling ?? Any specific reason ??
Safety-wise, journalling is pretty nice...

        Corentin

--
                    --- Mac:MS MVP (Francophone) ---
korventeen (753)

To get more help on top's command line switches, do a "man top" [w/o quotes]
while in Terminal.  For example, "top -ocpu"  will give you a list sorted by
CPU usage. I'd be curious to know if something is chewing up CPU time when
you hit your slowdowns.  I'd also be curious to know if the number within
parenthesis right before pageouts is consistently high (say 25 or greater)
while you're hitting slowdowns.  The numbering I'm referring is 25 in this
example:

7420(25) pageouts

Andrew

"sunrise" <sunrise.db@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks, Office is indeed up to date.  I'll give your other suggestions
> a try!
>
> Here's one mystery detail about both of my macs:  I have never been
> able to run Activity monitor on either one.  It bounces a couple of
> times in the dock and then dissapears!  This has always been the
> case...  Ever heard of such a thing?

Stagger X-axis text
In 1-2-3 I could stagger the text in the X-axis. In Excel it seems that I can only rotate the text to 90 degrees. Is there a way to stagger and leave horizontal? Specifically, I have all the provinces (or 10 of them) across the axis and they take up room when spelt out (no abbreviations allowed). I would rather the first, third, fifth ... etc. be higher and the second, fourth etc. be lower to allow the chart to be narrower and still read the text clearly. Cheers, Deborah >-----Original Message----- >In 1-2-3 I could stagger the text in the X-axis. In Excel it seems Deborah I would...

web address help
whats the web address for outlook so i can sign on? I have it stored on my home computer but dont have it here thanks Outlook doesn't have a web address unless you use an Exchange server. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:64da01c3e61b$58282fc0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > whats the web address for outlook...

HELP!! Viewing email images

help!! smtp protocol error occurred
exchange 2000 srv/windows 2k srv smtp protocol error occurred when trying to send mails. receives fine. Still waiting for some relavent information so we can help you solve your problem. >-----Original Message----- >exchange 2000 srv/windows 2k srv >smtp protocol error occurred when trying to send mails. >receives fine. > > >. > I had that problem, I telneted into the servers that the error occurred and found I was on a blacklist. Had to sumit to an open relay test, and bam, no more problems. ...

Help !!!!
I was migration my Exchange 2000 to 2003 I do my forest prep and domain prep But i can't create mailboxes ??? Why??? some documentation please... What actually happens? What error do you get? -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links, and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "A.dian�" <Adian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:31CB593F-F4DD-4CAB-9F4E-C2131BF7CF95@microsoft.com... > I was migration my Exchange 2000 to 2003 I do my forest prep and domain prep > But i can't create mailboxes ??? > Why??? > some documentation...

Help ! formatting data to text

Font problem with Office 2004 for mac
I have Tiger, whenever I try to Launch any Office program, as the the menu loads to 'optimizing font menu performance' It pops up with 'The font " " has been corrupted and should be removed'. It does this with MANY fonts, many of which I don't even have in my font folder. It does this every time during the program start, and most times even if I go through clicking ok 40-60 times it will sometimes freeze up anyway. Anyway to fix, get around this problem? Please email me at madefornothing@yahoo.com. Hi, this problem affects quite a few users, and there'...

form and query problem. please help.

Using Excel in Mac office 2004 with Microsoft/Mac 2008:Analysis toolpack
Although I am disappointed with Office 2008 for Mac because of the absent of Analysis toolpack, I figured things out quite recently that I can still install my Mac office 2004 and use the excel package that contains the Analysis tool pack. How? ...... let me show you: 1. Insert your CD for Mac office 2004 2. When it open on your desk top, two options will be given to you to download the software (a) Office set-up assistant, and (b) Microsoft office 2004. 3. CHOOSE MICROSOFT OFFICE 2004 (Drag the icon onto your desk top) and it will start to run/download. 4. When done, this will appear as ...

Newbe help with a lookup
Hi, I&#8217;m trying to make some modifications to a salary matrix and I&#8217;m having trouble with a lookup. In column A I have a series of numbers from 0 to 30 representing pay grade steps where 0 represents a new employee and 30 represents an employee having completed 30 years of service. In column B I have an annual salary for each of the corresponding pay grade steps. I want to take a new salary and find the closest salary in column B and return the corresponding step number. For example if the new salary is $73,415.13 and the matrix shows step 15 is 73,205 and step 16 is 73...

Reports in Money Small Business 2004
Since "upgrading" from Money SB 2002 to SB 2004, when I run a Sales Analysis Report (ie, "All Projects" or any project for that matter) . . . NONE of the sales/invoices are included (except as $zero) for the dates BEFORE I "upgraded" the software. The paid (or unpaid) invoice (s) for all of the projects are still there, showing the correct amount of money, they are not, however included in ANY type of report I try to run. In other words, I can ONLY get totals within a report SINCE I "upgraded" (since 6/1/04). IF I were to run any sales reports...

HELP
We have an application that is used by over 8000 people worldwide. One of our users is just starting to have the following problem: Run-time error '-2147467259(80004005)': Method 'Add' of object 'CommandBarControls' failed I have read that this problem can be caused by trying to open the file in Internet Explorer. The user has told me that she has tried opening MS Excel and then the .xls file and she still gets the same problem when the file is trying to open. She is the only one that has had this problem. Could there be something wrong with her Excel settings or som...

Office 2007 11-23-09
Of all the choices out there (community discussion, dashboard, live, etc.) how can I contact someone with input on Microsoft's software. For example, I want to know why any one would not display the most common commands on the HOME tab in Office 2007. Print, Save, Open, Close, Spell Check, Undo, etc. etc. etc. Yes, I know you can customize your own Toolbar, but not a beginner. How can I emphasize how important this is, I don't suppose you can customize the Tabs. I would like to ask someone why they can't get input from those of us who teach their products. ...

error message in Outlook after running windows and office updates
Hello, I am hoping someone can help me with this. When ever a few staff tries to send a new e-mail, a message "Do you want to save changes" come up and on the back of this message I see the spell checker box come up. The problem is that if you click on "no" on the error message, it comes up with another message something like "running out of memory". I just ran all the windows and office updates on all the machines in the company and so far two employees are having this problem. Is this something to do with the updates? Any suggestions? did you try ...

Help with keeping inventory.
Hello Everyone. I was wondering if someone might be able to help me. I'm trying t come up with a way to keep inventory of product. Basically what I need is to keep track of the current inventory of items... and what I'd like is for different users to be able to ope the worksheet and enter the NUMBER OF PRODUCT they are removing at tha time.... and for the total inventory of each item to be adjuste accordingly. The only catch is - I'd like to be able to use the SAM CELL always -- that is - I want only one cell to be the one that i used to enter the amount of inventory being o...

Help with Outlook Automation
I launch Outlook form MS Access 2003 using the code under the double line. When I send the first email it works fine. But if I send another email everything freezes up. I have to use the task manager to Kill OUTLOOK. And then it is immediatly replace by another OUTLOOK session and the email window comes up. I was wondering if my code could be improved to prevent that from happening. Any suggestions please! RBollinger ======================================================= Private Sub Command11_Click() On Error GoTo Err_Command11_Click Dim stDocName, mTO, mCC, mSu...

Access To Word Mailmerge
I have setup a Mailmerge that is run from Access. The process works like this: 1) The proper record is selected in an Access form which automatically starts the process. 2) Word is called up automatically, it shows both the template and the doument with the proper data in it. 3) Access is closed automatically. 4) The user then needs to close the mailmerge template. 5) The document with the proper mailmerge information inserted from Access is up on the screen. At this point a shortcut is triggered by the user that adds a document of the users choice to the end of the curre...

Upgrade GP10 Advanced -SP4
After upgrading to SP4, we get the error MEM_BAD_POINTER. When printing for example a Financial Trial Balance I can see that the GL-account is not fully and correct displayed on the report. After this above mentioned error the application closed. Any idea hoe to solve it?? -- Toni Toni, We have seen a similar error recently with one of our clients. I found this link to another forum posting and think it might help get you pointed in the right direction: http://www.keyongtech.com/1146749-mem_lock_error-in-cash-receipts-apply We have not yet had time to complete the s...

Help on CString to char*
Being a newbie to MFC, I am having problems on copying CString to a char* Below is my attempt but I getting this error below: ===================================================== Debug Assertion Failed! Program: C:\geac\GEACstatusptt.exe File: dbgheap.c Line: 1044 Expression: _CrtIsValidHeapPointer(pUserData) Below is my code the way that I am doing now, look at switch 4 and this is where I call a DLL library "McaAddPageMember" ====================================================== char cPAGER_CODE[16]; CPsnstatuspttApp::m_LogTrace.WriteLine("CPsnstatuspttView::Call_Page_M...

Macros and Active X
My ctrl+c and ctrl+v shortcuts dont work unless I turn on my active forms bar to edit mode. Any guesses why -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Because the spreadhseet is "live". You have to go into edit mode t make any changes to control toolbox items. -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I'm not trying to edit my active x forms, The problems is that th standard ctrl+c and ctrl+v copy and paste short cuts wont work unles the active x edit mode is turned on. I don't have to turn on the active x edit mode to use these short cut in other wo...

Help replacing text with Yes or No
I have a field formated as general. The field contains either 1 or is left blank. If the field has a 1 I want to replace it with Yes and if the field is blank I want to replace it with No. any help is appreciated. -- Jerry Save your data and use a copy for this exercize........... Assuming your data in Column A, put this in B1 and copy down........ =IF(A1=1,"Yes","No") Then highlight the column and do Copy > PasteSpecial > Values to get rid of the formulas..........then delete column A if you wish....... Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Jerry Arnone, ...

Showing the perimeter of a set of (X,Y) data!
Good day all, I need to plot the perimeter of a set of data. I have a set of (X,Y) data with error bar and it is a nice mess so I just actually need to see (show) the area were the data can be found. Then hopefully overlay an other set of (X',Y') data and show that they both cover the same surface of existence. i.e this is a set of metrology measurement in X and Y of a part build from different mould. Obviously you get a nice cloud of X and Y but does the new material offer the same 'cloud' ? Thank you I think the easiest way to do this is plot the data on a XY Scatter cha...

Pub2K Help does not work
I have Pub2K. Recently I've updated my Office 2K with SP1 and, I think, SP3 (whatever was available on MS site). Today, I noticed that Help in Publisher does not work. Every time I try to see Help, I'm getting this Internet Explorer Script Error Message: <An error has occurred in the Script on this page. Line 1, Char 1, Error: Object doesn't support the property or method, Code 0, URL mk: @MSITStore:C:/Program...> What's going on? Did Office update caused this problem or something else is a culprit? How can I get Pub2K Help work again? Thanks for any suggestions. P.S. Hel...