Upgraded both of my macs to Office 2004 and wish I could have Office x back! Any help?!?!

Hi,

I am running a G5 Imac 1.8Ghz and a G4 Powerbook 1.5GHz and have been
happily running office X on both machines for as long as I've owned
them (1 and 2 years respectively)  Before the Pbook, I also had an I
book running Office X for 18 months with no troubles.

I just installed Office 2004 2 weeks ago, and am consistently noticing,
on both machines, serious system slowdown over the course of the day.
To the point where, by mid-afternooon, my system needs to be restarted.
 The symptoms are identical on both macs (naturally the Pbook runs even
 slower than the G5 as these problems advance).

My day consists of using entourage extensively all day long, Word and
Excel sporadically, and Firefox and/or Safari, usually with quite a few
tabs open at once.  A day rarley goes by that I don't run two or three
searches in Entourage, tackling a database of about 8000 messages, if I
choose to search the root folder...

Under my normal useage as desctribed, everthing ran smoothly over the
past 3 years with Office X as the cornerstone of my operations.
NOW....with office 2004 my macs are, by mid day, choking on something.
I can't switch readily between tabs in my browsers, and eventually the
browsers seem to almost lock up if I work a long enough day (and browse
a handful of sites).  The only thing that prevents this behavior is
running an entire session without ever launching any office 2004
products (like a weekend day spend browsing the web instead of working
on projects that require office).  On those days it's as though nothing
has changed.

My gut feeling is that there is a failure in 2004 to allocate memory
properly (is microsoft being a "hog" in this case??) and more
importantly, release memory when it's no longer used.

I consider myself a slightly advanced user, but this one seems like a
deeper problem than I am able to solve with a few settings adjusted...
 The mac is almost behaving as though it's infected with some of the
overwrought elements one finds in a Windows XP machine (Anecdotally: I
once was a Windows user...ever tried their system search in XP (the one
with the puppy)?  -It always made me long, desperately, for the at
least 100% faster search that ran in Windows 98...)

My work life was less complicated prior to this "upgrade"....so I'm
seriously thinking about getting back to office X so that I can have
both macs perfoming again,  all the live-long day!

Does anyone know how to move Entourage databases back to Office X, and
if so, what might be lost in the process??

Thanks,
Dave

sunrise <sunrise.db@gmail.com> wrote:

        Hi,

> My gut feeling is that there is a failure in 2004 to allocate memory
> properly (is microsoft being a "hog" in this case??) and more
> importantly, release memory when it's no longer used.

I've never noticed anything like that with my setup. I would make sure
Office 2004 is perfectly up to date and repair permissions with Disk
Utility.
If you want to monitor Office apps, I would recommend using the Activity
monitor. It will tell you exactly what apps are using all the CPU and
memory.

Corentin

--
                    --- Mac:MS MVP (Francophone) ---
korventeen (753)

How's your available HD free space?

Are you using a synched iDisk or is journaling enabled?

BTW-

>My gut feeling is that there is a failure in 2004 to allocate memory
>properly (is microsoft being a "hog" in this case??) and more
>importantly, release memory when it's no longer used.

I believe this is all handled by OS X, unlike prior versions where
memory requirements were dictated by the apps. FWIW, my 'gut feeling'
is that this is more likely an OS/hardware issue rather than an Office
issue.

I run 2004 on a G5 Dual 2GB, 1.5GB RAM and it isn't uncommon for me to
have Safari, Apple Mail, Word, Excel, Entourage & either PhotoShop
CS/CS2 or InDesign CS/CS2 (sometimes both) running concurrently with
_no_ degradation in performance. I use Entourage only as a newsreader,
so I don't have the quantity of email/db you refer to, but that could
be a contributing factor.

Regards |:>)

Thanks, Office is indeed up to date.  I'll give your other suggestions
a try!

Here's one mystery detail about both of my macs:  I have never been
able to run Activity monitor on either one.  It bounces a couple of
times in the dock and then dissapears!  This has always been the
case...  Ever heard of such a thing?

OS 10.3.9

Over 100GB free on the Imac

Only around 5-10GB free on the pBook

Both have 1.25GB RAM

No Sync'd Idisk, No Journaling enabled.

I failed to mention I also use Photoshop and Illustrator daily as well.
  Always without complaint until this upgrade of Office...

What prompted me to write was that the downgrade in performance
happened on both machines with this upgrade.  I can still run most apps
fine, but invariably my web-based apps start to get boggy at the end of
the day...

I'll try Corentin's tip of repairing permissions...

sunrise <sunrise.db@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's one mystery detail about both of my macs:  I have never been
> able to run Activity monitor on either one.  It bounces a couple of
> times in the dock and then dissapears!  This has always been the
> case...  Ever heard of such a thing?

Yep... Try repairing Permissions (using DiskUtility). That doesn't sound
too good... If you have a disk repair utility, you should give it a try
too. If you don;t, boot on your MacOS X install CD/DVD and run
DiskUtility from there o check your drive. THere is something fishy in
your install :-\

Corentin

--
                    --- Mac:MS MVP (Francophone) ---
korventeen (753)
sunrise <sunrise.db@gmail.com> wrote:

> No Sync'd Idisk, No Journaling enabled.

Why don't you use journalling ?? Any specific reason ??
Safety-wise, journalling is pretty nice...

        Corentin

--
                    --- Mac:MS MVP (Francophone) ---
korventeen (753)

To get more help on top's command line switches, do a "man top" [w/o quotes]
while in Terminal.  For example, "top -ocpu"  will give you a list sorted by
CPU usage. I'd be curious to know if something is chewing up CPU time when
you hit your slowdowns.  I'd also be curious to know if the number within
parenthesis right before pageouts is consistently high (say 25 or greater)
while you're hitting slowdowns.  The numbering I'm referring is 25 in this
example:

7420(25) pageouts

Andrew

"sunrise" <sunrise.db@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks, Office is indeed up to date.  I'll give your other suggestions
> a try!
>
> Here's one mystery detail about both of my macs:  I have never been
> able to run Activity monitor on either one.  It bounces a couple of
> times in the dock and then dissapears!  This has always been the
> case...  Ever heard of such a thing?

Search for X-Headers
I want to create search folders based on X-Headers. How do I do that? Thanks CM use the rules wizard condition of header contains - then enter the x-header information and assign a category. Create the search folder for the category. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http:/...

Secondary axis help
Hi everyone, I am having some difficulty in Excel 2007 Charting. I have a stacked bar chart that I would like to add a horizontal secondary axis on. How do I do this? I'm trying to do what the Help says but there is something that I am not getting. 1. I click on the Chart and select the Format Tab 2. In the Current Selection section, there is a Chart Elements drop down and I select Horizontal (Category) axis. 3. I go to my sheet that has the data for the chart and I select the data range that I want per the instructions. I'm lost after this. Hi, well, the Help s...

BOB? More Craps Help
Hi Bob Been spending some time on the code you sent and I think I found some errors. Can you check the code below to see what you think? I think it is now working according to the correct rules... Dim cellvalue Sub Craps() 'Excel Craps V1.3 Application.ScreenUpdating = False Range("B5:C1000").Select Selection.ClearContents Range("A4").Select Setup: Application.ScreenUpdating = True [B5] = [B2] Rollem: If (([B5] = 2) Or ([B5] = 3) Or ([B5] = 12)) Then GoTo CrapOut If (([B5] = 7) Or ([B5] = 11)) Then GoTo FirstLucky cellvalue = 0 GoTo NotWinner End NotWinner: ...

SQL General Help
I have been experimenting with using ADO to work with Excel data. I had some obstacles with the SQL until I stumbled across a web site that mentioned the table name needed a special format. Instead of using a table name like DATA, instead I had to use the format of [DATA$]. So I was wondering does anybody know of a source (document, web site, etc.) that explains all of the peculiarities of using SQL with Excel? Thanks Mike ...

Employee Training Help
Hey Y'all, I am creating an employee training database where I can run reports and queries about who has taken what type of course. What kind of relationship should be created between the tables? Based on the some of the discussions I have seen here, I have created three tables: 1: tblemployee (with employee id set as primary key) 2: tbltraining (with trainingid set as primary key).This table has no employee information 3: tlbcompletedtraining (in this table I have employee ids with the id's of the training courses that they have completed) I am unsure of what ki...

Need Help with Formula #3
I need help trying to come up with a formula for a friend of mine. This is what he wants -- Using any 9 numbers -- he wants Excel to come up with every possible 3-digit combination of numbers that are divisible by 7. Is there anyone who could assist me with a formula that will perform this calculation? Can Excel do such a calculation? Thanks so much for any assistance you can offer. In A1, enter the number 7. Select A1:A142. Edit>Fill>Series, Step value 7. Format>Cells>Custom, "000". If with "using any 9 numbers" you mean you don't want any zero...

Update Prices Online... not updating stock prices
Hi all, I just upgraded from Money 2002 to Money 2004. In Money 2004 when I do a "Update prices Online" to update the prices of my stocks, this task runs to completion with out error but the actual stock prices are not updated. The "Read Call Summary Messages" for this task said it completed successfully. I even tried turning off my firewall. I went to "Update prices manually" and there was no new entries/prices for any of the stock. I verified my stocks still have the correct stock symbol listed. I also selected "Pick Quotes to Download" and...

SUMIFS help
Hi. Hope you’re able to help. I’m having difficulties the SUMIFS function. Either I’m using it incorrectly or perhaps it’s the wrong function for me! I’m trying to total the money amounts in column E as long as conditions in columns A (cell A6 in this example) and column H are True. However, I’m finding that the function is not totalling up the money amounts it should be totalling in column E. Instead, it’s just returning a single money amount in column E and ignoring the rest! This is the function as I’ve written it: =SUMIFS(BnkChqs!E3:E1000,BnkChqs!A3:A1000, A6,BnkChqs!...

newbie needs help
Hello, First to let you all know, I am a big novice at this kind of stuff, so please bear with me. What I am trying to do is make a trendchart with 9 different plots on it. How do I change the numbers on the side and bottom of the chart to read what I need them to? I take these tests 3 times a week and would like to chart all of them seperately and also together to chart progress for a whole month. One for each day, and then one for the month. Then I would like to do the same for the following months of the year. And I would like to have one chart to show the progress for the whole...

Microsoft Office Home & Student 2007
First... My question: How can I delete a 'saved' Return Address in the envelope template? When I am in Word and I go to print an envelope, I have to use, or correct, a 'saved' Return Address. (Someone had saved it before and it always changes!) (The migration: Word > Mailings > Envelopes ) Please help Thanks in advance. Dave __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4966 (20100322) __________ The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus. http://www.eset.com "David Dyke&quo...

Office 2010 and Basic Authentication on IIS fails to open documents
Hi, I have just upgraded my Office 2007 to 2010 (yes the RTM build) and am running into some serious trouble accessing documents stored on a web server or SharePoint server configured to only allow Basic Authentication. Word opens as expected but does not do anything else (no prompt, no document download, nothing). Accessing any Office document on a server or SharePoint 2007/2010 server that has e.g. Integrated Windows authentication enabled, all is good I get prompted for credentials and the document downloads and opens as expected and as in Office 2007. Where is the settin...

Chart Type HELP!
Hi, I still need help on the Chart Type thread that I posted a couple of hours ago under "Chart Type". It is URGENT--for a presentation for which I am already late!! Anybody?? Tx, Sat Hi Sat - Take a look at what I just posted and see if it helps. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL2K & XLXP ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference ----------------------------------------------------------------------...

x values and plotting points
I need to plot points and draw a straight line to calculate the slope. I will use this same method to present a trend for data points over time ( three years per compound)! Help! I have Excel 97. Thanks! annette christian wrote: > I need to plot points and draw a straight line to > calculate the slope. I will use this same method to > present a trend for data points over time ( three years > per compound)! > > Help! I have Excel 97. > > Thanks! You should be able to chart your data points using the Chart Wizard. See http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/...

Help with formula containing text
Hi I need some help on the following. I have a column of text, linked to other worksheets, that is continuously changing. I need to be alert if the same piece of text appears in the column more than twice, e.g. Tom Tom Jane Mary Mary Tom "ALERT" Thanks Mike -- mlhynes ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mlhynes's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=12959 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=401787 Mike Visit Chip Pearson's site for much help on duplicates. Fin...

Rota's and Daily Shift Pattern's
I've got a basic rota sheet with Mon-Sunday along the top and the names of the staff down the side. Each day a memember of staff is either AM, PM or OFF. I'me trying to create a sheet that just has monday at the top with all th AM people on it. Then a sheet with all the PM people on it. Any idea's? Thanks in advance Scott. Hi Scott is this just for printing out? if so i would use the autofilter (data / filter / autofilter) - choose the drop down for MONDAY, choose AM print results ... choose PM, print results .... Cheers JulieD "Scott Cheesman" <Scott Che...

R4 ds/dsi firmware-drivers de R4 Sdhc. R4 ultra, R4 new, R4 III upgrade, R4 v3
Hola,, aqui teneis una web donde encontre una recopilacion de firmware o drivers de las R4 Sdhc ,R4 Ultra,R4 New, R4 III Upgrade. R4 Dsi, R4 ui. http://www.r4spain.com/tienda Pinchas en el enlace de arriba y en la parte inferior izda haces click en el boton DESCARGAR, aparecera un menu con muchos driver para distintas R4 DS. Espero que os sirva de ayuda. Saludetes Gorka ...

Front end/Back end Dilema
Hello, I currently have 2 exchange servers. Site 1 is primary about 250 acc'ts Site 2 is the second server about 60 acc'ts. I currently like this setup as if one goes down I have redundancy for mail still being qued then delieved when the other box is backup. My dilema is at Site 1 there server is nearing capacity and the price to do any hardware upgrades is not worth it as I will buy a new one. I've been reading up and it would seem I could benefit from having a front-end exchange box for both these servers to offset OWA access, RPS over HTTPS and mobile SSL access from smart phon...

Help with combining 2 seperate Worksheet Change Event scripts
Hi, I have 2 seperate Worksheet Change Event scripts that I would like to combine to use in one woeksheet and I'm sure how to do. I am kind of new to VB. The first script is for hiding columns based on a value selected in picklist. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) 'SalesAid Software If Target.Address <> Range("L2").Address Then Exit Sub 'MsgBox Month(Target) If Target = "All" Then Range("N:BV").EntireColumn.Hidden = False Else lastcol = Cells(6, Columns.Count).End(xlToLe...

Upgrading Money 07 to Money 07
I'm currently using a downloaded trial copy of MS Money Deluxe, it expires in March. I just picked up a copy of Money Deluxe at Staples, along with Tax Cut, so I can take advantage of the rebate on the purchase (I was going to get Tax Cut anyway). The question is, do I need to uninstall my current install of Money 07 and install from the retail box? Or do I just install from the retail box right over my current setup and all will be fine? Or is there something else I should do? I've upgraded MS Money before, but it was always a real version upgrade (02 to 07-Trial, forex), not a t...

Pictures not opening. Little red X. email address
My email address should anyone have the answer to the question I posted today about pics not opening in forwarded email. thanks. This is caused by using WORD as your editor and having your options in word set to "Show placeholder" for pictures. Open Word, Select Options and poke around a bit until you see the option, then turn it off. -- Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook] "cr" <crrsr@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:00de01c3dc69$5c3c0520$a501280a@phx.gbl... My email address should anyone have the answer to the question I posted today about pics not opening in forw...

Need Help #2
I have created a custom button for Tag along item.and I am having problem with cursor box. It is not moving down. It is staying where the tag along item rang up. It should move down to empty line, But It is not. How Can I fix his problem. Any one can help me ? ...

Help with transforming file

Using Outlook on a MAC
Does anyone know why I can't forward HTML email with Outlook on my MAC? It is received ok but when I forward it, it goes out as text and all the formatting and images are gone. I'd appreciate the help. ...

Help with 2007 Chart Layout
Hi, I can't figure out how to build the chart I'm hoping to create. I have data by: quarters, regions, $ and #. Q1 Americas $100 5 Q2 Americas $200 7 Q3 Americas $120 3 Q1 Asia $213 4 Q2 Asia $312 2 .... Q1 Europe ... Q2 Eroupe... .... I'd like to have on the X-axis: region, on the y-axis $ (columns) and a secondary axis # (line graph). What's throwing me is the quarters. X axis: America with 3 bar graphs side by side for Q1, Q2, Q3 then a new grouping of bar graphs side by side for Asia Q1, Q2, Q3. Can this be accomplished? I'd appreciat...

Need stacked chart help #2
can nobody help me please ???? -- wjviveen ------------------------------------------------------------------------ wjviveen's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16474 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=278258 Hi, Have you had a look at these examples? http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html Cheers Andy wjviveen wrote: > can nobody help me please ???? > > -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...