Unable to get word files to work with windows computers

Hello, I have a quick question.

I have word for my mac and I need to share word files with people who have word on windows computers. Is this possible? When I send them the file, they cannot open it. If it is possible to share, am I doing something wrong?
0
joyabella (1)

Make sure the file has the .doc extension.

There's no difference in the Word file format (since Word 97), so it's most
likely a question of how the attachment is encoded by the email program.

My Mac email program, Entourage, has this to say in Help:

About attachment encodings
When you choose an encoding format, it is helpful to understand how
Macintosh files differ from files created on other computers. Macintosh
files include additional resource information that files created on other
types of computers do not. If you are sending a data file, such as a
Microsoft Word document or Microsoft Excel spreadsheet, such resource
information may not be necessary. However, if you are sending something more
complex, such as a program, to another Macintosh computer, you must choose
an encoding format that preserves all the data.
The AppleDouble encoding format preserves the additional resource
information, and can be read by both Macintosh and other types of computers.
AppleDouble is a good choice for your default encoding format; it works most
of the time with most computers. However, if AppleDouble fails, you can
choose a different encoding format depending on the type of computer you are
sending the attachment to:
�  To send an attachment to a Macintosh computer, use BinHex, which
preserves the Macintosh resource information and data.
�  To send an attachment to a Windows-based computer, use MIME/Base 64,
which preserves the data only.
�  To send an attachment to a UNIX computer, use UUEncode, which preserves
the data only.

So be sure to check your encoding.  There's also a missing Quicktime filter
in some versions of WinWord, but the Windows user should run Office Update
to fix that, and it only gives problems with images.

DM
Mac MVP for Word

"Joy Allen" wrote:

> Hello, I have a quick question.
> I have word for my mac and I need to share word files with people who have
> word on windows computers. Is this possible? When I send them the file, they
> cannot open it. If it is possible to share, am I doing something wrong?

Maximum file sizes

find action on log file

POST or GET?

File size #11

Unable to delete empty database

Linking files 2 ways

Using Relative path for XML data file?

How to repair a .dll file in IE8

get a result of an sql into a field

CSV Files and VLOOKUP error

Filters not working in Exchange 2003

SBS 2003 RWW & Windows 7 64 bit

Rule won't work
Outlook 2007 I have set up a rule to do the following; When I send or receive a message from a specific contact, play a sound, display in new item alert window, flag for follow up and move to a specific folder. But it is not doing anything. Do I need to change something else? What type of email account? Do other rules work? Does it work if you use any one action? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.out...

is PHStat available and if so how do I get to it
I need help asap Tamika - > I need help asap < PHStat is Prentice Hall's statistical add-in for Excel. It's usually on the CD that's included with the textbook. For more info, try www.prenhall.com/phstat - Mike www.mikemiddleton.com ...