Sudden non-openability of Office

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Intel

All of a sudden none of the Office Applications will open on our family computer - just get a message saying ''invalid product code". But we're using a down-loaded up-date to the original version which came already installed on the computer, or I thought we were. Have we somehow inadvertently been using a free trial version which we should have paid for to continue using? or where do I find that product code I need?
Thanks anyone who can help!

Hi Alix;

If Office was preinstalled when you bought the Mac you still should have
received the source DVD along with the original packaging & product keys.

Your first resources should be your paperwork & the vendor who sold you the
Mac � they can most readily tell you what you should have. If they are
unable or refuse to assist you contact Microsoft Customer Support:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/contactus.mspx

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac