Standalone install of Office 98 Upgrade?

I'm in the process of getting an old Mac up and running on OS 9 for my
teenager. I want to install Office 98, but my version, in the box, is
Upgrade. I can't find any earlier Office software around here. Does
anybody know if I can install the Upgrade version as a standalone, or
must I find an earlier version somewhere? Thanks.

0
sh1223 (1)

On 9/13/05 2:11 PM, in article
1126645896.323979.65210@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com, "violetcrumble"
<sh@centurytel.net> wrote:

> I'm in the process of getting an old Mac up and running on OS 9 for my
> teenager. I want to install Office 98, but my version, in the box, is
> Upgrade. I can't find any earlier Office software around here. Does
> anybody know if I can install the Upgrade version as a standalone, or
> must I find an earlier version somewhere? Thanks.

Even if you could find an earlier version you might not be able to install
it, since earlier installers were on floppy disks, not CDs (Word 6 took 13
floppies, as I recall). Office 2001 is still available fore sale (though not
widely) - I've seen it for $225 and academic (your teenager would be
eligible) for $139. You can find both 2001 and 98 on eBay : I see 2001 new
sealed for $112 and used for $30, $26, $0.99, etc. One of those latter
sounds like a good buy - what could be wrong with a CD?

--
Paul Berkowitz
MVP MacOffice

Please "Reply To Newsgroup" to reply to this message. Emails will be
ignored.

PLEASE always state which version of Microsoft Office you are using -
**2004**, X  or 2001. It's often impossible to answer your questions
otherwise.

0
berkowit (221)
9/13/2005 10:35:12 PM
"violetcrumble" <sh@centurytel.net> wrote in message
> I'm in the process of getting an old Mac up and running on OS 9 for my
> teenager. I want to install Office 98, but my version, in the box, is
> Upgrade. I can't find any earlier Office software around here. Does
> anybody know if I can install the Upgrade version as a standalone, or
> must I find an earlier version somewhere? Thanks.

You have to have the CD or the program already installed.  If you no longer
have either, you might check ebay for a deal.

0
mmmmark

office trial
wizard will not activate, keep getting message to set date and time correctly, these are set correctly in my time zone, tried to syncronise clock to different internet server but keep getting error message. Office trial was preinstalled on computer and I went through microsoft with key they emailed to me. This is getting very tiresome as I am a new user "tottenham hotspur" wrote: > wizard will not activate, keep getting message to set date and time > correctly, these are set correctly in my time zone, tried to syncronise clock > to different internet se...

Why won't instant search in Outlook 2007 install?
Even though I have installed the add-in, I still get the dialog prompting me to install the instant search add-in. How do I activate this feature? ...

Can I delete parts of Office?
I recently loaded Office 2004 on my iBook but want to conserve hard drive space for an app i just picked up, and was thinking about deleting all the MS apps except for Word and Excel. Can I do this without messing up Word and Excel to the point that I need to reinstall? I would just try it, but I'm away from home and don't have access to my Office install CD. Any help that could be provided would be great. Thanks <beau.keyes@gmail.com> wrote: > I recently loaded Office 2004 on my iBook but want to conserve hard > drive space for an app i just picked up, and was thinki...

"Configuring Microsoft Office Basic 2007" every time I start
I added memory to my PC and Office 2003 started to misbehave (and it could not find a CAB file that was on the CD) so I removed it and upgraded to Office 2007. Now every time I start my PC it spends time configuring itself. I might add iTunes is the same. It means starting the PC is an even more laborious process than usual. Oh, and I have some annoying update to XML something or other that does not install either, and does not go away. It is ironic that the extra memory was to improve perforamnce. Every step forwards involves two steps back. Apart from swapping to App...

Out of Office Question
We're new to O at our office. On occasion, I get OOO replies when I email people. I ask how they set it up and everyone tells me Tools, then Out of Office. My choices under Tools do not include OOO but they do include Rules Wizard. I feel sure somewhere in there is a way to set up OOO replies but I haven't hit upon the exact procedure. Help is no help at all. I have the disc, I run W2000 Professional. Can someone give me the drill to set up an OOO reply so I can turn it on before I go on vacation next week? Thanks in advance to all who help or try. Steve Ignots Steve, You need to be u...

Upgrade Win2K DCs before upgrade/migrate to E2K3 ?
We have a Win2K-only domain with 2 DCs, 1 Ex2K server and 1 subnet. About 200 users. We're thinking of upgrading to Win2K3/E2K3, but we're not sure whether to upgrade the domain controllers first or last, with respect to the Exchange Server. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance. Hi jdee, You should upgrade your DCs to Windows 2003 first, just make sure your Exchange Server/s are running at least Exchange 2000 SP3. Regards -- Ben Hoffman MCP (Win2000 Pro/Server & Exchange 2003 Admin) http://www.ExchangeIS.com "jdee" <jdee@trunk.net> wrote in message new...

Won't download beginning upgrade
I just downloaded Money 05 and it won't download the upgrade it needs so that all functions are available. I have a broadband connection so I don't know what the problem is. Well, you don't say much besides "won't download" so it will be hard for us to have any hints what the problem is, either. Firewall software maybe? "sean" <sean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3AD054E2-A5E9-41F0-B7D1-0960D79777AF@microsoft.com... >I just downloaded Money 05 and it won't download the upgrade it needs so >that > all functions are ...

Outlook 98 e-mails not going to sent items.
This is a weird problem from my behalf, when i send an e-mial no matter to who, the e-mail does not go to the sent items folder. Can anyone help out, thank you. Marcel. ...

98 to xp excel
ive been doing work on excel on 98 brought a new pc running xp when i put my floppy in and try to open its all jumbled up can anyone help? How did you open it? First, copy that file from the Floppy to the harddrive (using windows explorer). Then open, modify, save there. Then use windows explorer to copy back to the floppy (if required). (Working directly off removeable media is a bad thing.) Try opening excel, then file|open your file to see if that helps. And if it doesn't, go back to the old pc and get a fresh copy and test it out (from the harddrive). steve wrote: > >...

Unable to install Analytics accelerator cube
I'm encountering trouble trying to install the SQL Analysis cube for the Analytics accelerator. I'm following the steps in the "SSAS2005SimpleCubeDeploymentGuide.doc" document. On step #3 the guide says to right-click on the CRM AF Base project and click "Deploy". Each time I do that, my result is a series of errors displayed in Visual Studio. The first error (that I'm guessing leads into the following errors) states: "Errors in the OLAP storage engine: The attribute key cannot be found: Table: dbo_FilteredOpportunityCompetitors, Column: competitori...

Installing CRM on 2003 Web Edition
Has anyone installed CRM 1.2 on Windows Server 2003 Web Edition. The implementation guide is says it is a supported OS, I am planning on attaching WS03 Web Edition to an SBS 2003 server. I know that the supported configuration has everything on the single SBS box, but I would much rather put some things on other boxes. I am also planning on putting SQL Server on its own box as well. Any comments on this configuration? thanks, Geoff Hi, Beware that SQL Server cannot be installed on a Web Server edition ! -- Olivier Schmitt Microsoft Business Solutions Support Ce message est fourni...

Is it possible to add my own header to an email in Office Outlook or Outlook Express?
Hi all, I mean something like followings: X-MDaemon-Deliver-To: someone@somewhere.com or X-MyHeader: 123456 I'm able to do this via C# SmtpClient programmatically, but I want to this by an email application. Thanks in Advance Afshar Mohebbi > I mean something like followings: > X-MDaemon-Deliver-To: someone@somewhere.com > or > X-MyHeader: 123456 > I'm able to do this via C# SmtpClient programmatically, but I want to > this by an email application. For Outlook, you'd need to do it via code. I'd start at http://www.outlookcode.com. For OE, you'll wan...

spell check in office basic or office Pro?
which ms office program do I need to purchase to get spell check in ms word? office basic or office professional? Thanks so much. Not sure why this put me in the excel user group..sorry barb Barb All of the office suite have Spellcheck. Take your pick, MS Works, Office Standard, Office Student, Office Pro. HTH Michael "barb" wrote: > which ms office program do I need to purchase to get spell check in ms word? > office basic or office professional? Thanks so much. Not sure why this put > me in the excel user group..sorry > barb ...

Reactivating Office on a new computer.
I had a downloaded copy of Office 2007 on a laptop which has been destroyed beyond repair. I have now bought a new laptop. How do I re-download my copy of Office, please? -- Steve Contact the vendor from where you purchased it. "stemac" <stemac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:795E14D0-A5F1-4CA4-B2B4-A102986CBADD@microsoft.com... :I had a downloaded copy of Office 2007 on a laptop which has been destroyed : beyond repair. I have now bought a new laptop. How do I re-download my copy : of Office, please? : -- : Steve The vendor was...

Accessing all questions I have asked in the Office forums
Is there a way I can call up all questions and answers I have ever asked via my login to Microsoft Discussion groups? I sure appreciate your help, John In news:FB996750-8ACF-4806-BDF8-7E66057A0DBB@microsoft.com, John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > Is there a way I can call up all questions and answers I > have ever asked via my login to Microsoft Discussion groups? > > I sure appreciate your help, John Use Google; look up your own name; finesse from there if you get too many hits. HTH, Twayne` ...

User login failed on the customized VBA project after GP 10 upgrad
After GP 10 upgrade, I am getting the login failed error for all useers who tried on working on my customized Dynamics VBA project. Error # -2147217843: Login failed for user 'sa'. Procedure: frmDateEntry - cmdProcess_Click Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server Thanks for help. Kevin Kevin, You might need to re look at your connection in VBA -- Thanks Janakiram M.P. MCP-GP http://janakirammp.blogspot.com "Kevin Zhou" wrote: > After GP 10 upgrade, I am getting the login failed error for all useers who > tried on working on my customized Dynamic...

SBS2008 Installation/configuration
I have purchased SBS2008 Premium. I was told that I needed to purchase a Windows 2008R2 Server license for the second server? I thought SBS2008 premium had licenses for both SBS2008 and Windows 2008 server and that I just need additional user/device CALS. Also, Can I install SBS2008 AND Windows Server 2008 with Hyper-V Viitualization all on the SBS2008 box, or does it have to be installed on separate servers? Hi David, You don't need another server license. You can install WS2k8 on the hardware, enable the hyper-v role, and then install SBS08 as a virtual machine...

Upgrade Office 2004 Student to 2008 Standart
As the subject says. Does anybody have an experience with upgrading the student 2004 to standart 2008. On the box it says any 2001 to 2004 office suite or application is upgradeable but before I open the box I want to make sure this will work... I need exchange server thats why I can't upgrade with the 2008 home/student version.. Thanks On 3/6/08 1:13 PM, in article ee90031.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "srkerd@officeformac.com" <srkerd@officeformac.com> wrote: > As the subject says. Does anybody have an experience with upgrading the > student 2004 to standart 2008. ...

report with VBA not working after upgrade
we did an upgrade from v7.5 to v8, and one of the report can't show vba modified fields. any idea how to fix it? Thanks If you are accessing SQL Data, you probably need new Retrieve Globals. Go to partner source, and download RetrieveGlobals_80.dll, and register this file using RegSvr.exe. The instructions are included in the zip file. Let us know if this doesn't fix your problem. Thx, VJ ...

out of office assistant #55
For a former employee I would like all incoming emails to be sent a response that the person no longer works here. This is for all emails from the same sender, not just the first one. I am concerened about looping errors if I set up a rule to do this. ...

Information service is not installed on this computer
I had Office 2007 instealled, and later installed Office 2010 Technical Preview alongside it, and this caused Outlook 2010 to overwrite Outlook 2007. I used it for a whilst, but experienced a lot of problems with it, all of which required me to reinstall it, or result back to Outlook 2007. So I have now reinstalled it 4 or 5 times and keep receiving the same problem. Now, I am trying to use 2007 again, and when adding a data file using the 'Mail' control panel, I receive a message saying "the informaton sevice is not installed on this computer". I have n...

Ask outlook in microsoft office 2003
Is it more convenient function that which are there to ask outlook in microsoft office 2003 edition? I seldom read the letter and follow and send a letter with outlook, all have the browser and help me to join mails and follow and send a letter directly, Have lesson teachers of computers to teach a lot of, which outlooks functions are very well that I am not clear very much to have, the person knowing tells me, please. ...

Upgrading compiler versions.
At the place I work we use Visual C++ version 6. Originally we didn't upgrade because there was no need. Version 6 did what we needed and it worked fine. Since then I'm not sure why we haven't upgraded to the latest. Can someone answer some questions for me please: 1) I'm interested in C++ and not C#. Is the API in the new compiler the same as version 6? 2) What main benefits will I gain? 3) Is the new version as stable and usable? 4) Is there a reason I shouldn't upgrade? 5) Since I'm just interested in C++, will there be there be a large learning curve? ...

Using NTDSUTIL to edit ntds.dit on seperate install
I am running Server 2003 and my server and backups got fried from dirty power. Beside this major mess up I recovered most of the data, but have started a reinstall to fix the problems still left (I couldn't start the AD). Anyway due to a some quirk Windows was setup to install on G: on the original installation (I don't know why), and now during the install it says it can't start the Active Directory (Which is why I am trying a recovery installation). However I now know the correct fix for this problem is through the use of NTDSUTIL so... I hit SHIFT + F10 to run NTDS...

Updates After Clean Install
I did something that i shouldn't have done almost 2 yrs ago and now i am going to finally do a clean install......i need to know weather or not i will still be able to get all the updates that i missed for sp2 and can i redownload sp3 that i did not download myself but someone else did on my comp (xp home media center) Yes you can. They are all there. But this time do all your updates then create a image backup so that the next time you need to restore your computer you can restore from the image backup with all the updates intact... if need be. -- The Top Script Gener...