Sorry to create a new post, but I have tried the other posts' suggestions... can't install new Office 2004?

Hello there,

I'm hoping someone can please help me to help a friend who is in need.
I am in Germany to attend his wife's unexpected funeral and help him
out with his 4 young children and his small business. Well, one of the
things I did was convince him to switch from an old PC to a new iMac.
And then I got him to buy a full version of Office 2004 rather than use
Apple's Windows emulator and run his old PC version of Office. So the
new Mac Office 2004 arrives, and one of his 'know it all' friends puts
the disc in the iMac and starts the installation - without first
removing the trial version.

I've removed the Office 2004 files, both trial and full versions,
cleaned up the hard drive as much as I can of any MS files, and then
started the install over. Then I came to here and I see that this is a
somewhat common problem (why didn't Microsoft just build an
auto-removal function into the full version disc?!?!). There was no
'read me' file on this disc, and the only place it states to remove the
trial version is in a normal block of text on page 4 of the
generalistic-reading brochure in the disc case.

To describe my problem, the Setup Assistant goes through the steps as
it should, and installs the full Office onto the iMac. When I launch
any of the Office apps., a window pops up saying (in German so I can't
write it verbatim) that this Office isn't a full version, but an update
version for Office 2001, and it asks if I want to locate the 2001
version to link this update. I have a choice to Quit or Proceed to
locate the 2001 version.

Problem is that there never has been a 2001 version on this iMac. I
assumed the problem is from not having properly removed the trial
version. I've spent three hours reading every related thread that I
could find on this newsgroup, and I spent the whole day trying all the
suggestions including - Microsoft de-installer, manually removing all
files, removing prefs, repairing permissions, restarting and
re-repairing permissions, re-installing system software and bundled
software from the original discs and then installing full version
again, updating OSX software, updating Office software (this was funny
because I was able to update the installed full versions but they
wouldn't launch as I described above), again re-installling original
OSX software then downloading a new trial version from MS.com and
installing it followed by properly removing it followed by installing
the full version... still the same window pops up when I try to launch
an Office application???

I'm very sorry for perpetuating this topic, but I am in a bind because
I will be leaving Germany soon, but I can't leave my friend without his
computer working properly to run his business. And sincerely being
honest, I suggested to him to go back to using his old PC in order to
get his taxes filed in time, but when we plugged it in and turned it on
the CPU started to smoke!! It sounds crazy but the old computer called
it quits.
I hope someone will be able to help please.

Gratefully,
Jim

Hi John -

You're quite justified in starting a new thread... This is a completely
different situation than any I've seen before & frankly don't know what to
suggest.

Despite the fact that you obviously seem to know your stuff I'm gonna go for
the basics first :) Take a good look at the install disk itself - not the
package - and make sure it *doesn't* say "Upgrade" somewhere. Even if not,
double-click the icon & examine the files to see if there are any clues
there - it's not impossible that the content may actually be an upgrade that
got packaged as a full version.

Hopefully some of the others will have more to offer, but I'll try to
investigate a bit more.

Good Luck |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 1/24/07 7:07 PM, in article
1169683675.263042.325640@s48g2000cws.googlegroups.com, "MacSince1984"
<jimlimultimate@yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]
> wouldn't launch as I described above), again re-installling original
> OSX software then downloading a new trial version from MS.com and
> installing it followed by properly removing it followed by installing
> the full version... still the same window pops up when I try to launch
> an Office application???
>
> I'm very sorry for perpetuating this topic, but I am in a bind because
> I will be leaving Germany soon, but I can't leave my friend without his
> computer working properly to run his business. And sincerely being
> honest, I suggested to him to go back to using his old PC in order to
> get his taxes filed in time, but when we plugged it in and turned it on
> the CPU started to smoke!! It sounds crazy but the old computer called
> it quits.
> I hope someone will be able to help please.

John,
I have exactly the same problem and have tried what you have tried.
Sorry i don't have a solution, but wanted to let you know that others
share your pain.  I spoke to MS support and guess what they said i
should try...that i should wash my disc with soap/water.  I'm serious.
Anyway, if I come across any solutions, I'll return and post.
Thanks.

-Dru

0
andrewy (5)
1/25/2007 6:28:33 AM
Hi Jim:

Sorry:  The problem is that they have sold you the wrong package.

You have an "Upgrade" version there, and it is looking for a previous
version to authenticate against.  When you see that prompt, you need to
insert the Office 2001 for Mac CD to authenticate.  Then the installation
will proceed.

If you do not have access to an Office 2001 CD, you need to take that
version back to the shop and change it for a Full Version disk.

There is no way round it.  Sorry.

On 25/1/07 11:07 AM, in article

--

Please reply to the newsgroup to maintain the thread.  Please do not email
me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie <john@mcghie.name>
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh.  Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

0
john7143 (1072)
1/26/2007 6:08:41 AM
Hi,

It's probably not difficult to locate a legitimate copy of Office 2001. eBay
is a good place to start looking. I see copies for about $25 US there now.

-Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

Quoting from "John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]"
<john@mcghie.name>, in article C1DFE619.5CFF2%john@mcghie.name, on [DATE:

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

MVPs are not Microsoft Employees
MVP info http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

0
goldkey74 (611)
1/27/2007 1:06:31 AM
I forgot to mention that if you like the office assistants you can copy them
from the Office 2001 install disk to the Office 2004 Assistants folder.
There's also clip-art you can copy, but the clip-art sound files probably
won't work right.

-Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

Quoting from "Jim Gordon MVP" <goldkey74@WarmerThanWarmMail.com>, in article
C1E00FC7.1535F%goldkey74@WarmerThanWarmMail.com, on [DATE:

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

MVPs are not Microsoft Employees
MVP info http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

0
goldkey74 (611)

ms money 2004 Canada/Israel
Hi, I have account "RBC in Canada" and "Bank Leumi in Israel" which ms money version is applicabla for me in order to tie into both? thanks Helmut ...

Office publisher 2003 patch
I lost the patch in my 2003 small business and cannot open my publisher files. How can I download the patch? My installation disc does not load tells me I have no patch -- mary mary wrote: > I lost the patch in my 2003 small business and cannot open my > publisher files. How can I download the patch? My installation disc > does not load tells me I have no patch ======================================== Maybe the following article would be worth a look: (932857) You may receive an error message when you try to install or run an Office program: "This patch package could not be...

New to Excel, have to do a grade sheet!
Hello folks-- I have only very limited experience with Excel (just opening documents I've gotten by e-mail, and have never made an Excel document before myself), and I have a course assignment for a *intro to computers* class. I have to make up a grade sheet where different grade types are weighted differently. For example, the Quiz grades are weighted 25%, Unit Tests 40%, and the Final Exam 35%. Also, workbook grades are added into the unit test grades. There are grades listed for 6 people, and of course there are a number of quiz, unit test, and workbook grades for each person, alon...

files will not open after 10.1.6 security update for Office X
Hellow, I've updated office X to version 10.1.6 using the recently developed security update. I've encountered some problems with files that I had previously made using powerpoint. Seems as if the updated version of powerpoint will no longer open some of these files. The exact error message I receive is as follows: PowerPoint cannot read HD:Users:reddog:Desktop:235 presentation.ppt. After uninstalling the 10.1.6 and reinstalling Office up to the 10.1.5 update, everything opened fine. So, I'm guessing this recent update is the culprit (although I'm sure I could be wrong)...

Installation Issues
I purchased Microsoft Money Premium 2007 and am using Windows XP Media Center 2005. Whenever I download the file and when attempting to install the application my CPU usage jumps to 100% and stays there. The program never gets installed. I've turned off my Trend Micro 2007 Security Suite, attempted to install it as admin, attempted to install it in safe mode, nothing works. Everything else I attempt to install goes just fine. Any suggestions? In microsoft.public.money, Rudy wrote: >I purchased Microsoft Money Premium 2007 and am using Windows XP Media Center >2005. Whenever I...

Additonal info into newly created Subtotal row
How might I carryover/copy additional information into the newly created row that includes the subtotal and name of the subtotal? For instance, the product number (Column A) is what is grouped to determine the subtotal of the Sales for that product group (Column C) but I want to include the item description which is in Column B of the rows above. I have 35,000 rows of data being subtotaled and want to avoid cutting and pasting this information. Then, I plan to sort the subtotal data from highest to lowest and would like to have the description in the printout of the subtotals ...

Help-how to install a macro for everyone to use
This may not be in the right category but I thought I would try here. I have a macro that I want to send to 120 people. These people are located in many areas of the country and DO NOT use Excel very often. Originally with 2003, we created an addin that had a custom toolbar with a button assigned to a macro. They would double click the addin and then when they load their CSV file, the custom button would format it appropriately. This addin would also work with 2007, copy addin to c:\ double click and somehow it created a custom menu with the button on it and it worked. NO...

Comparing fields from 2 similar tables + generating new table
Hi, I have imported 2 tables with similar structure, and want to generate a new table containing data from both tables, as well new fields that compare the data from the two tables. Eg. Table 1 = Users (Name, Surname, DOB) Table 2 = Persons(F_Name, S_Name, Birthday). I am trying to create Table 3 to have the fields in the following order: Table 3 = Compare(Users.Name, Persons.F_Name, Compare1, Users.Surname, Persons.S_Name, Compare2, Users.DOB, Persons.Birthday, Compare3) The fields compare1, compare2, and compare 3 need to return TRUE if the 2 fields before them contain identical ...

post size exceeded allowed limits
We are running CRM4.0 with the Outlook clients. We are seeing every 10 minutes an event log on the server referencing CRM ASP.Net 2.0.50727.0 Source Event Code:3004 Event Message: Post size exceeded allowed limits Application Path: c:\program files\microsoft Dynamics\crmweb\ this message only shows for one user Hi jgrebe, Most likely, that user's CRM for Outlook client is trying to 'track in crm' an email that has an attachment that is larger than the allowed size (5mb out of the box, 8mb max). Check with the user in question and see if you can spot the one with the large...

Voiding an IC transaction should create J/E in Destination Comp.
In the vendor lookup screen, the “vendor name field” is too short. This fields needs to be lengthened on the screen (perhaps the “additional sort field” should be shortened). ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/C...

How to create element in namespace
Hi all i've to create a xml doc like this <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <Main xmlns:x="http://www.w3.org/1999/XML/xinclude"> <x:include href="one.xml"/> <x:include href="two.xml"/> <x:include href="more.xml"/> </Main> i tried to use xmlnamespacemanager and also to declare the namespace when create node but always get error namespace x not declared. Please help me! this my code: XmlDocument doc=new XmlDocument(); XmlDeclaration xmldecl = doc.CreateXmlDeclaration("1.0", &q...

Image backup/rstore vs. clean install/all-file-backup/restore
A general question: Chris Quirke writes: "It's a good idea to make a partition image backup of your XP installation before you start, using something like BING. Simply copying off every file is not enough, because unlike Windows 9x, XP will not work when copied in this way." If there is no partitin image, would it be sufficient to do a clean install of XP Gold, and then copy over the file-by-file backup of, for example, XP with SP3 installed. Wouldn't that leave everything bootable, etc. and give the same results as an image restore? mm wrote: > A gener...

Opening a new tab
I would like to open a new tab with the name that is in a cell. Example in Cell b10 I have a number in this case it is 13245 and would like to open a new tab with that number 13245. The number will change many times. How about placing a button from the Forms toolbar on that worksheet. Then you can change the value in the cell and click the button when you're ready. Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim myCell As Range Dim wks As Worksheet Set myCell = ActiveSheet.Range("B10") Set wks = Nothing On Error Resume Next Set wks = Worksheets(CStr(myCel...

unable to create a new calendar entry
Hi, I am logged in as UserX. When i try to create a calendat entry it says " you dont have permission to perform this action". How to i assign this user a permission on calendar? I have another normal user who is able to make the entry. Where is calendar data stored ? On public folder i guess.. You'll have to tell us which calendar you are referring to. Is it a public folde, is it another user's calendar..? Check permissions whereever it is before you do anything else. Nue "Jack Dorson" <JackDorson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:82CF6...

Install Outlook 97 on XP HE
I can not install nor open Outlook 97 on my new XP computer. Using the Office 97 Professional retail CD I purchased Keep on getting messages that add in files can not be installed. Any suggestions?? ...

Possible to create user-level security in Access 2007 format w/VBA
There is no doubt that "user-level security" is not supported any longer, with the Access 2007 file format (.accdb). See http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access/HA012301871033.aspx?pid=CH100621891033. So, what I am looking for is if anyone has created, or knows of, a guide to replicating "user-level security" via VBA within the new Access 2007 file format, or if it is even possible. Can anybody help me? I went with a solution that uses 3 tables to manage what person does and does not have access to. tblMenuFunctions - List of menu fuctions tblUserProfi...

how do i create and save a new file or worksheet autmatically ever
IN EXCELL 2003 I CREATED A WORKSHEET AND I WANT THAT WORKSHEET TO BE RECREATED AND SAVED EVERYDAY AS A NEW WORKSHEET ...

Creating a dialog from DLL
I am writing a plugin DLL for an application. During the initialization of the DLL, I need to show a dialog to the user. I have a class CMyDialog derived from CDialog. Here is the code I am trying to use. void* hInstance; BOOL WINAPI DllMain (HINSTANCE hInst, DWORD dwReason, LPVOID lpvReserved) { hInstance = hInst; HWND hWnd = GetForegroundWindow(); CWnd wnd; wnd.Attach(hWnd); CMyDialog myDialog(&wnd); myDialog.DoModal(); return 1; } I am getting a debug assertion in CDialog::DoModal() from the follwing in MFC library. _AFXWIN_INLINE HINSTANCE AFXAPI AfxGet...

How to turn off editing after I have created a spreadsheet with macros
I have created a spreadsheet with macros and when I call the spreadsheet up on another computer and I click on the buttons I created it takes me to viusal basic to edit. How do I turn this off so I can run the macros? If you need more info please email me. I have tried it on 3 computers and one of the computers will run the macros, but the rest just go into what I call edit mode instead of running the macros. Any help would really be appreciated.--Gary ...

Installing My Money 2007 Premium on my accountants computer???
I have been a money user since 1995 and am presently using Money 2007 Premium. I purchased the CD retail and I have it installed on two home desktops and one laptop. My Money file is huge and includes all my personal and business financial information going back over 20 years. My accountant of nearly 20 years has recently signed on to be a co-successor trustee for my estate planning joint trust. She uses Quicken in her business has used it for years but desires to install and learn Money to better handle her trust responsibilities for me should the need arise. Can I give her my purchas...

cant add a new contact to my address book
when i try to add a new contact to my address book i get an error that reads "Please use the contacts module to create this entry. Do not question the advice. Do what it says. The Address Book was never intended for data entry. The Contacts Folder is. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Jeff Hawes" <hawesje@csi-accounting.com> wrote in message news:2b2401c3e12e$90c52410$a501280a@phx.gbl... > when i try to add a new contact to my address book i get > an error that reads "Please use the contacts module to > create this entry. ...

Create template that ignors data list rules
Question: Is there a way to copy all rows in a worksheet [template] to a master data list at the same time, and have possibly several users saving their worksheet forms simultaneously with the data list being updated automatically as they save their work or is there a better way to accomplish this task using Excel? Please explain like I'm a two year old. The plan is for several users on a network to enter data in an Excel 2002 form [1 worksheet each user] the form contains about 17 rows with 10 columns on a template. When the users save their form the data will be automatically copied ...

Syriac computing in Office 2008
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel Is the Mactopia team working for an office2008 full support to the syriac language? I like very much office suite, but I need to write in Syriac. Microsoft Office for windows supports syriac since the 2003 version: why the mac version still doesn't? In article <ee98821.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw>, PieLLe@officeformac.com wrote: > Version: 2008 > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) > Processor: intel > > Is the Mactopia team working for an office2008 full support to the syriac > lang...

sorry
lo siento...........sorry.........no entiendo mucho el ingles pillo algo pero no mucho,solo quiero saber como se configura una cuenta para utilizar windws mail Esto es un foro para "Microsoft Access", software para las bases de datos. Intente por favor los foros para "Microsoft Outlook" o "Microsoft Hotmail". =A1Buenas suertes! ~J On Jul 8, 8:38 am, "charo" <c...@microsoft.com> wrote: > lo siento...........sorry.........no entiendo mucho el ingles pillo algo > pero no mucho,solo quiero saber como se configura una cuenta para utilizar ...

OL2000 illeg. op. error when new message arrives
Hello, I have a user that is receiving a "Outlook has performed an illegal operation" type error...white box with a close and ignore button. If you click the ignore button about 8x, the illegal operation message goes away. The error is only received when the user receives a new mail message The error is only received when Outlook plays a sound to notify of a new message arrival. I have tried a repair on the office install I have tried another sound file both to no avail The error message will not appear if the "play sound when new mail arrives" box is unchecked (...