Sorry to create a new post, but I have tried the other posts' suggestions... can't use install new Office 2004?

Hello there,

I'm hoping someone can please help me to help a friend who is in need.
I am in Germany to attend his wife's unexpected funeral and help him
out with his 4 young children and his small business. Well, one of the
things I did was convince him to switch from an old PC to a new iMac.
And then I got him to buy a full version of Office 2004 rather than use
Apple's Windows emulator and run his old PC version of Office. So the
new Mac Office 2004 arrives, and one of his 'know it all' friends puts
the disc in the iMac and starts the installation - without first
removing the trial version.

I've removed the Office 2004 files, both trial and full versions,
cleaned up the hard drive as much as I can of any MS files, and then
started the install over. Then I came to here and I see that this is a
somewhat common problem (why didn't Microsoft just build an
auto-removal function into the full version disc?!?!). There was no
'read me' file on this disc, and the only place it states to remove the
trial version is in a normal block of text on page 4 of the
generalistic-reading brochure in the disc case.

To describe my problem, the Setup Assistant goes through the steps as
it should, and installs the full Office onto the iMac. When I launch
any of the Office apps., a window pops up saying (in German so I can't
write it verbatim) that this Office isn't a full version, but an update
version for Office 2001, and it asks if I want to locate the 2001
version to link this update. I have a choice to Quit or Proceed to
locate the 2001 version.

Problem is that there never has been a 2001 version on this iMac. I
assumed the problem is from not having properly removed the trial
version. I've spent three hours reading every related thread that I
could find on this newsgroup, and I spent the whole day trying all the
suggestions including - Microsoft de-installer, manually removing all
files, removing prefs, repairing permissions, restarting and
re-repairing permissions, re-installing system software and bundled
software from the original discs and then installing full version
again, updating OSX software, updating Office software (this was funny
because I was able to update the installed full versions but they
wouldn't launch as I described above), again re-installling original
OSX software then downloading a new trial version from MS.com and
installing it followed by properly removing it followed by installing
the full version... still the same window pops up when I try to launch
an Office application???

I'm very sorry for perpetuating this topic, but I am in a bind because
I will be leaving Germany soon, but I can't leave my friend without his
computer working properly to run his business. And sincerely being
honest, I suggested to him to go back to using his old PC in order to
get his taxes filed in time, but when we plugged it in and turned it on
the CPU started to smoke!! It sounds crazy but the old computer called
it quits.
I hope someone will be able to help please.

Gratefully,
Jim

--B_3252523669_14697322

On 1/24/07 4:07 PM, in article
1169683666.008831.215450@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com, "MacSince1984"
<jimlimultimate@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've removed the Office 2004 files, both trial and full versions,
> cleaned up the hard drive as much as I can of any MS files, and then
> started the install over.

See this link for manually removing:

How to Remove Microsoft Office 2001 from Your Computer

<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;269856>

How to Manually Remove Office v. X for Mac from Your Computer

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323675/en-us>

Here are some notes on removing the test drive:

Did you have administrator privileges when you ran "Remove Office"? Log on
to the computer by using an account that has administrative permissions.

If Office v. X was installed by a user without administrator privileges, and
later another user with administrator privileges runs the Remove Office
application from the Microsoft Office 2004 folder to remove Office v. X, the
following message appears:

> account that you used to install Office and then try again.
> And then the Remove Office application displays the message, "Remove Office
> has successfully removed the Office components you specified," which is not
> true. To remove Office v. X, you must delete the Microsoft Office X folder
> from your hard disk, or log on as a user without administrator privileges and
> then run the Remove Office application

Verify permissions:

1. Click on the Microsoft Office X or 2004 folder
2. On the File menu, click Get Info.
3. Expand Ownership & Permissions, and then expand Details.
4. Click the padlock icon. In the Owner box, click the account that you used
to log on.
5. In the Access box under Owner, click Read & Write.
6. In the Group box, click the group that you want. Typically, this is the
admin group.
7. In the Access box under Group, click Read & Write.
8. In the Others box, click Read & Write.
9. Click Apply to enclosed items.

In the Microsoft Office xxx folder, double-click Remove Test Drive to remove
Office v.xxx Test Drive and all preference files.
When you run the Remove Office program, files are not removed until you
click the Remove button on the Remove Microsoft Office screen. To remove the
Test Drive, on the Results screen, click the Microsoft Office 2004
(including Test Drive) check box to select the Test Drive, and then click
Continue. In the Choose which components to remove screen, click the Remove
the Microsoft Office 2004 Test Drive folder check box to remove the Test
Drive, and then click Continue.

Office xxx program will start in disabled mode.

CAUSE: This issue occurs when you install Office X by using the Microsoft
Office Installer. It does not occur if you use the drag-and-drop method of
installation. The installer cannot overwrite certain files in the Microsoft
Office X folder on your hard disk if Office v. X Test Drive is already
installed.

RESOLUTION To resolve this issue, you must first remove Office v. X Test
Drive, and then install the Microsoft Office X program.

Hope some of these suggestions work. If not, wipe the drive and install
everything new.  Then you can feel confident there are no gremlins lurking.

--
Diane Ross, Microsoft Mac MVP
Entourage Help Page

--B_3252523669_14697322

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: Sorry to create a new post, but I have tried the other posts' su=
ggestions... can't use install new Office 2004?</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'>On 1/=
24/07 4:07 PM, in article 1169683666.008831.215450@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.=
com, &quot;MacSince1984&quot; &lt;jimlimultimate@yahoo.com&gt; wrote:<BR>
<BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF">&gt; I've removed the Office 2004 files, both trial a=
nd full versions,<BR>
&gt; cleaned up the hard drive as much as I can of any MS files, and then<B=

&gt; started the install over. <BR>
</FONT><BR>
See this link for manually removing:<BR>
<BR>
<B>How to Remove Microsoft Office 2001 from Your Computer<BR>
</B><BR>
t;http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=3Dkb;en-us;269856&gt;</a><BR>
<BR>
<B>How to Manually Remove Office v. X for Mac from Your Computer<BR>
</B><BR>
icrosoft.com/kb/323675/en-us&gt;</a><BR>
<BR>
<I>Here are some notes on removing the test drive:<BR>
</I><BR>
Did you have administrator privileges when you ran &quot;Remove Office&quot=
;? Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrative permis=
sions.<BR>
<BR>
If Office v. X was installed by a user without administrator privileges, an=
d later another user with administrator privileges runs the Remove Office ap=
plication from the Microsoft Office 2004 folder to remove Office v. X, the f=
ollowing message appears:<BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYL=
E=3D'font-size:12.0px'>You do not have permission to remove Office. Log in to =
the same Mac OS User account that you used to install Office and then try ag=
ain.<BR>
And then the Remove Office application displays the message, &quot;Remove O=
ffice has successfully removed the Office components you specified,&quot; wh=
ich is not true. To remove Office v. X, you must delete the Microsoft Office=
 X folder from your hard disk, or log on as a user without administrator pri=
vileges and then run the Remove Office application<BR>
</SPAN></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STY=
LE=3D'font-size:12.0px'><BR>
<B>Verify permissions:<BR>
</B><BR>
</SPAN></FONT><OL><LI><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'f=
ont-size:12.0px'>Click on the Microsoft Office X or 2004 folder
</SPAN></FONT><LI><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-=
size:12.0px'>On the File menu, click Get Info.
</SPAN></FONT><LI><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-=
size:12.0px'>Expand Ownership &amp; Permissions, and then expand Details.
</SPAN></FONT><LI><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-=
size:12.0px'>Click the padlock icon. In the Owner box, click the account tha=
t you used to log on.
</SPAN></FONT><LI><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-=
size:12.0px'>In the Access box under Owner, click Read &amp; Write.
</SPAN></FONT><LI><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-=
size:12.0px'>In the Group box, click the group that you want. Typically, thi=
s is the admin group.
</SPAN></FONT><LI><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-=
size:12.0px'>In the Access box under Group, click Read &amp; Write.
</SPAN></FONT><LI><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-=
size:12.0px'>In the Others box, click Read &amp; Write.
</SPAN></FONT><LI><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-=
size:12.0px'>Click Apply to enclosed items.<BR>
</SPAN></FONT></OL><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font=
-size:12.0px'><BR>
In the Microsoft Office xxx folder, double-click Remove Test Drive to remov=
e Office v.xxx Test Drive and all preference files.<BR>
When you run the Remove Office program, files are not removed until you cli=
ck the Remove button on the Remove Microsoft Office screen. To remove the Te=
st Drive, on the Results screen, click the Microsoft Office 2004 (including =
Test Drive) check box to select the Test Drive, and then click Continue. In =
the Choose which components to remove screen, click the Remove the Microsoft=
 Office 2004 Test Drive folder check box to remove the Test Drive, and then =
click Continue.<BR>
<BR>
<B>Office xxx program will start in disabled mode.<BR>
</B><BR>
CAUSE: This issue occurs when you install Office X by using the Microsoft O=
ffice Installer. It does not occur if you use the drag-and-drop method of in=
stallation. The installer cannot overwrite certain files in the Microsoft Of=
fice X folder on your hard disk if Office v. X Test Drive is already install=
ed.<BR>
<BR>
RESOLUTION To resolve this issue, you must first remove Office v. X Test Dr=
ive, and then install the Microsoft Office X program.<BR>
<BR>
Hope some of these suggestions work. If not, wipe the drive and install eve=
rything new. &nbsp;Then you can feel confident there are no gremlins lurking=
..<BR>
<BR>
-- <BR>
Diane Ross, Microsoft Mac MVP<BR>
Entourage Help Page <BR>
&lt;http://www.entourage.mvps.org/&gt;<BR>
The &nbsp;Entourage Blog lists the EHP as one of the top five Microsoft Ent=
ourage resources. <BR>
&lt;http://blogs.msdn.com/entourage/&gt;<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--B_3252523669_14697322--

0
dross1571 (196)

Using installer Cleaner
Sorry, my initial post mentionned mistaken Registry cleaner. I meant Installer Cleaner. Installer Cleaner is a neat tool when the standard uninstall process fails. I am wondering if there is a way to track changes made to the registry while removing a given entry with this Installer Cleaner? -- John Doue If you mean the windows installer cleanup utility, read the caveats before using the tool; which in any case only removes the installer entries, and not the actual program "John Doue" <notwobe@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:ORyraR2zKHA.6112@TK2MSFTNGP0...

Money 2004 Passport
Upgraded from 2003 MS Money Deluxe to 2004. Running ME Upon loading, program request .NET Passport menu..... I want to disable this.... When I click on File, select Password Manager, then change, click disable, then click again to confirm disable, I get an error window stating "Money cannot complete, possible problems with internet connection, disconnect, reconnect, then try again" I am connected via DSL line, have been for years. Connection is OK, mail program(s) work ok, IE works OK... Any suggestions????? ...

Problem adding new record in form view
Hi there, I have inherited an acccess database and have had to do some troubleshooting on an error message which is now sorted out. I now am unable to add a new record in form view, however if I enter the information directly into the table there is no problem. Please could you help with what might be going wrong? Thanks -- Snoozi Suzi Open the form in design view. Open the properties window for the form. Is the Allow Additions property set to yes? Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Office/Access MVP "SnooziSuzi" <SnooziSuzi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message n...

Office Accounting Professional 2009
Hello everyone, In looking over our Technet applications, I was wanting to test out Office Accounting Professional 2009 due to limitations we have found in our normal accounting product Simply Accounting. When installing the product, everything goes fine, but we are unable to setup a Canadian company. Is there a version that will allow us to do this? I noticed there are two versions, one being the English - United States version, and one English-United Kingdom. Will the latter one work for Canadian customers? Any help would be very appreciated, Peter Skinner Edmonton ...

Can i use Windows Search to find a number within Excel?
If i use Widnows search of the CONTENTS of files (not file names), i find in Excel, that for cells that contain text, they can be found. But, it does not appear to me that numbers can be found. Of course the number as Excel stores it may differ from how it is displayed. But, does anybody know if this is possible? For instance, i have a cell with the number 3,709,227 in it, as it appears in Excel (as formatted). I tried typing the number both with and without the commas, into WIndows search, but Windows search still does not find the Excel file that contains that number. So, any kn...

Deployment Office 2003
In my organization we are going to deploy Office2003 Pro with SMS, I am using an MST file, I have some Questions:: 1. How can I config in outlook 2003 the field: SIZE in the inbox/sent items to all of my users in the deployment, Is it with OPS file and how can I do it...??? 2. In the Installation proccess : How can I make the OUTLOOK ICON appear in the desktop, not in a mode of shoutcut but in amode that I can change profile's user from it...??? 3. In the Installation Mode: How can make the CANCEL button to disapear..??? Thax OR 1) You would have to provide a script to ...

Changing the fields the LOOK FOR facility uses
Hi, Ive had a good look round the system and dont think this is possible, just wondered if anybody else has any ideas. The issue is as follows :- If I go to the default cases view (All Cases), I can see all cases against all accounts. I would like to be able to Look For all or part of an account name (or potentially other fields) to quickly filter this list. Is it possible to alter or add the fields that the Look For facilty will use to return results? or Can an advanced find use take arguments? Cheers Dan Hi, Go to Settings - Customization, and customize the Case enti...

Office 2003 Opening a new Excel Doc.
I just updated to Office 2003 and everytime I open up a new workbook a blank workbook name PERSONAL opens as well. How do I change that from happeneing?? Thanx, Jesse Hi Jesse Window>Hide and save the personal.xls When you record a macro you have the option to save the macro in this hidden workbook so you can use the macro in all your workbooks. You can find the file in your Xlstart folder -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Jesse" <Jesse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:65505D55-31EB-4BAA-A32D-B052F70E03AD@microsoft.com... >I just...

Newbie struggling
Hi For coursework I have to create an excel workbook that takes totals from invoices and adds them all up - pretty simple for some but not me! I have created the invoice template and the user enters the necessary data to complete and print it out - what I need is a way of taking four or five sets of data from that invoice sheet (e.g. invoice number, customer name etc etc) and writing them to another sheet so that I can add them up. The problem I am having is how to get that data into the next blank row in the second sheet - currently it only overwrites the first set - how do I get the pointe...

Paying a lot of money for a formal dress that you will only wear once can be frustrating. Used clothing stores can offer an extensive selection of formal wear at affordable prices that you or your d
Paying a lot of money for a formal dress that you will only wear once can be frustrating. Used clothing stores can offer an extensive selection of formal wear at affordable prices that you or your daughter will love. http://www.shoesbootjeans.com http://www.shoesbootjeans.com/Replica_Mens%20Shoes_1.html http://www.shoesbootjeans.com/Replica_Womens%20Shoes_1.html http://www.shoesbootjeans.com/Replica_Boots_1.html http://www.shoesbootjeans.com/Replica_Boots_1.html http://www.shoesbootjeans.com/newarrivals.html http://www.shoesbootjeans.com/hotproducts.html Used clothing stores are full of ite...

An unofficial FAQ for this newsgroup is available at http://umpmfaq.info. The source FAQ was last updated Thursday, December 23, 2004. You may save yourself and those willing to spend their time helping you both time and hassle by consulting this resource before posting what may already be a FAQ. The unofficial FAQ answers 161 of the most frequently asked questions in this newsgroup. Note that only a limited number of FAQ items have been added or modified for Money 2005--those that are derive from my limited experience with the product and on very high profile items in the newsgroup. If you ar...

Clip Organizer error after SP4 install
Experiencing the problem described in KB article 821257, whereby an error occurs using MS Publisher 2002 Clip Organizer on a Citrix Metaframe XP client after SP4 was loaded on Win2K servers hosting the Citrix farm. KB article says a patch is available through the Product Support service. Have been unable to contact the Product Support Service for several days, either by phone or after registering for the Passport .NET online service. Does anyone know what needs to be done to fix the Publisher Clip Organizer error? or a site that I can download the patch? Is obtaining the patch now ...

What happened to the New Form Dialog box; are there still autoform

Cannot install Business Conatact Manager
I get an error that says it cannot configure the server and the install stops. I am assuming it means SQL server but what would that have to do with a stand alone install? I installed it on my laptop just fine but it does this weird failure on my desktop. Both systems are fresh installs of Win XP PRo with all service packs and updates installed. Any help out there? thnx, doc333@comcast.net Please report the exact error message that you received. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and ...

insert new row doesn't add formula
I have a table A2->M100 In the M Column I have a sum to calculate the total of that row =SUM(A34:N34) for example Now if I want to add a row into that table, I click on the number o the left, that highlights the row then I go insert>>row and that keep the formatting of the cells. BUT it doesn't add the =SUM(A54:N54) in the M column, and so I have ha to edit each cell by hand to get the correct formula. Is there an easier way to add a row and keep fomulas within that row but obviously automatically change the numbers to suit the row -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForu...

Merging excel office data into a publisher office project(Australi
Having problems when I get to the point in the merge wizard "catalog merge template", with the DOB format to be entered into the membership card that I have made in Publisher. It reverts back to American date format. Could the problem be in the edit record section? All seems to be okay till then. I have checked the regional settings etc., all okay. When I have finished template of merge & highlighted the DOB field gone to language on tool bar and set language it still doesn't work then preview, it has reverted to American. ...

When using Terminal Server
When remote users open Outlook from a Terminal Server session, they only see a small portion of the messages in their inbox (and other folders) that are on the Exchange Server, yet when they log in at the main office, they see all messages. What controls the two different views and how is it changed. Thanks in advance for any help, Bob Showalter, Packer International ...

Does anyone still use vbAdvance?
I want to customize my DllRegisterServer function and vbAdvance (http://vb.mvps.org/tools/vbAdvance/) sounds like it would be perfect. Unfortunately after downloading and installing, I try to register the Custom Registration example project "DllRegisterServerSample.dll" with regsvr32 and I get an error x0..05. I traced the problem to the code that starts the required vb stuff, in MRuntimeInit, line 106: hMod = GetModuleHandle("mydll.dll") .... pGetClass = GetProcAddress(hMod, "DllGetClassObject") If pGetClass Then CopyMemory pCall, Init...

How do I create a drop down list in Excel 2003
How do I create a drop down list in Excel 2003. I've tried to use the help menu and I cannot figure it out. See: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Lenny" <Lenny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F05DEA1-E264-4760-9DDE-3C97319AA1D4@microsoft.com... > How do I create a drop down list in Excel 2003. I've tried to use the help > menu and I cannot figure it out. ...

Deleting Rows Automatically using a Text File List
I have a text file list of .jpg files that I want to delete (rows) from Excel. The list has 800+ items in it. Deleting these rows one at a time in Excel (after doing a "find") is terribly time consuming. Does anyone know how to make Excel read my text file and delete the rows with that filename in it (automatically). The filename (listed in the text file) is in a column (in my excel sheet) called "filename". Any help would be most appreciated!!! Seriously! I may have to spend hours on this otherwise! Thank you, Arielle -- mirdonamy ------------------------------...

Maximum value to use autofiler feature in excel
Hi, does anybody know the maximum value to use autofilter in ms excel? I heard my friend told me that excel could filter only select data is less than 1000. He told me that he has 4000 row and use autofilter, an expected record is more than a thousand but the record display only 1000 maximum. I want to test like him too but I don't have any file that contain alot many thousand of record. Does anybody have any idea? Hi see: http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html#Limits -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Roath Kanel" <012633023@mobitel.com.kh> schrie...

Rounding issues after 2010 updates installed
I am having issues with the system rounding for AP invoices in "shipment/invoice" receivings, allocated to WIP accounts. Before, we used to have 4 decimal places to round and if something wouldn't match up, we would enter the extended cost of an item, the unit cost would adjust (even if we didn't see anything) and everything would be fine. Now we only have 2 decimals places (for some crazy reason) and are having issues when a vendor rounds to .0000 and computer only goes 2 decimals. We get an error message that WIP does not equal AP amount and there is no wa...

Outlook Express creates a File on my desktop
ok i dont know if anyone else is getting this problem but when ever i run outlook express it creates a file on my desktop named "~". it has done this since new, and ive seen it on one other computer as well. is there a way to stop this from happening?? cause deleting the file everytime is getting tiresome...if anyone knows how to fix this please let me know. ty Shawn <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > ok i dont know if anyone else is getting this problem but > when ever i run outlook express it creates a file on my > desktop named "~". ...

problems with newly installed outlook 2002
hi, i've just upgraded from office 2000 to office xp... i have a problem with outlook 2002...when i click send and receive i get an error message "the operation failed".... but i can download from each of my email accounts individually via the tools>send/receive menu.. i've downloaded an update from the microsoft site but that hasn't solved the problem... anyone got any ideas how to fix this.. cheers, davlam added: now it appears i can't send emails....but all my email account settings are exactly the same as with outlook 2000, which worked fin...

How get rid of Office Discussion Groups on far left of screen
When I come to this discussion group there is a grey area on the left of my screen that lists the Office Discussion Groups. I would guess there is a way to close this or get it off screen but if there is, I can't find it. It is taking up a significant amout of screen realty. Woody wrote: >When I come to this discussion group there is a grey area on the left of my >screen that lists the Office Discussion Groups. > >I would guess there is a way to close this or get it off screen but if there >is, I can't find it. It is taking up a significant amout of screen...