Slow Open/Save over Network Connection

My client has an Apple XServe located in a "co-location" server farm
which is providing very fast and reliable network speeds (10 mbps DL,
11 mbps UL).  His office location is using AT&T DSL with DL speeds
around 3.5 mbps.  The directory that sits on the XServe is shared over
the internet so my client can access it from multiple locations.  Most
of the documents are MS Word files.  They are using Intel based iMacs
with the latest versions of MS Office 2008.  The problem my client is
facing is the horrible speeds of opening, saving, and closing Office
2008 files.  It could take up to a couple minutes to save a document
they usually get a spinning beach ball while it's saving.  Is anyone
else facing these issues?  Are there any tips/tricks I can try to help
increase the speed?

Finally, just to make sure it wasn't the connection, I opened the same
MS Word document using Apple Pages '08 and it opened within 1-2
seconds.  It saved the document within 2 seconds (of course I made a
couple changes to the document before saving it).

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

Best,
Brent

----------------
0
brentsal (1)

Error Mess when open spreadsheet
I have an excel spreadsheet . There are no macros, When i open it I get an error message: It doe not display anythng and has while background, when i press ok it shuts. I get the following erro message. EXCEL caused an invalid page fault in module MSO9.DLL at 0167:308d0b99. Registers: EAX=00629c74 CS=0167 EIP=308d0b99 EFLGS=00010212 EBX=00000000 SS=016f ESP=00628684 EBP=0062868c ECX=00000002 DS=016f ESI=00000000 FS=215f EDX=00000008 ES=016f EDI=00629c74 GS=0000 Bytes at CS:EIP: f3 a5 8b ca 83 e1 03 f3 a4 5f 5e 5d c3 8b 4d 10 Stack dump: ffffffd8 00000000 00629db4 30251402 00629c74 00000000...

Unable to open Excel file with Excel or OpenOffice
Good morning everyone, I am hoping that someone can give me a hand. Recently I downloaded a file that is work related, when I attempt to open this file with the Microsoft 2003 Excel viewer I receive the following error: "Microsoft Excel viewer cannot open files of this type". When I attempt to open the same file with Microsoft 2007 Excel viewer I receive two errors, the first says that the viewer can not find the file the I am trying to open, the second error is the same as Microsoft 2003 viewer. I have also tried opening the file with OpenOffice 2.4 and all that I get is a text im...

i want to print 70 work book and i dont want to open each n print

Money file won't open
I've recently migrated from Quicken to Money 2005 and it has opened just fine until today. Now I get a screen saying Money will update make a copy of my file and then update it with the latest improvements, but I can't get the file to open - and I do have the correct password. What do I have to do to get my file back? In microsoft.public.money, Windwatcher wrote: >I've recently migrated from Quicken to Money 2005 and it has opened just >fine until today. Now I get a screen saying Money will update make a copy >of my file and then update it with the latest impr...

Use Internet to network to VB5 app?
I currently have a VB5 application installed on one customer PC(used as a server) in an office and use the customer's network to connect all other PC's in the office(client PCs) to my application. Is it possible, and if possible, how could I use the Internet for client computers in this office to connect(network) to my VB5 application on the customer's computer which acts as a server for my application. This is a low volume environment so I don't need a true "Server computer" (hardware wise). This is desirable because my customer would also like to use ...

Help with VBA (open query)
I have one command button used to open a form. How can I change if I wan to open a query instead of form? I try with this but it doesn't works. Something wrong with the code? Or I use the wrong method? #### strQuery = "grouping" (query name) DoCmd.openquery strQuery, , , strSQL #### Private Sub openform_Click() Dim strSQL As String Dim strWhere As String If Not IsNull(tool_id) Then strWhere = strWhere & " AND tool_id= " & "'" & tool_id & "'" End If If Not IsNull(cboStatus) Then strWhere = strWhere & " AND status= &...

Exchange2003 - doesn't login
Hello Everyone, First some info: we're trying a fresh installation of Exchange on a brand new server. In my mind, I am still more of a developer than an administrator but somehow, it's all my problem to handle. So, we used to have an Exchange 2003 server running Active Directory on the same machine. It's a network with 4 machines; the other 3 are not part of the domain so far. The current Exchange server is meant for being phased out and we wanted to just reinstall Active Directory from scratch on the new server, as a Primary Domain Controller. I did all the DNS stuff outlined b...

I cannot open MP2000 file in ML2003.
Please help! Just bought a new laptop and it has MP2003 on it. I have been trying to open my existing MP2000 files and it says "Publisher cannot open file." I have not had this problem with any of the other programs. Thanks! Do you have Norton? Disable "Script Blocking" and "Office Plug-ins". -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "MysticWolf13" <MysticWolf13@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA1917EC-8C32-4D11-A753-A1700497AB3F@microsoft.com... > Please help...

Error opening Excel File
Hi, I'm currently having these days an error while opening an excel sheet. The sheet is shared among five users. When one tries to open it, a message indicates that the file is locked for editing by another user and after checking with the user, I understand that he has already closed the file but the latter remains locked. Can someone help? ...

If u have OWA in your network
Hi i'm struggling with setting up my OWA. 1) When installing a certificate i only get the option of "preparing now and sending it later...", the .."send immediately..."option is greyed out. I did install a CA on the current server. Any services that i must restart.I've allready restart IIS Admin but nothing change. In creating a new certificate i go to IIS manager - Default website - what is wrong..... 2)I can access my OWA mailbox from another pc on the LAN by typing in http://servername/exchange/mailboxname and then i must just put in the password obviousl...

windows mail not opening pictures
in the last two days windows mail in Vista doesnt open any pictures in emails. � not attchments � the pretty pics used by most commercial emailers � to let you know their logo, their lastest offerings etc etc All I get is a border with a little x in the top left hand corner I havent changed anything. (unless the last auto windows update did) Tools Option Read does not have "read in plain txt" ticked TO Security does not have "block images" ticked View "message in html" is greyed out virus check was done since the problem started anyone else h...

How to keep mail from being opened
For security I reasons I would like to delete incoming mail without having to open it first. As my Outlook express is set up now, it open automatically before I can delete it when I click on the message. Thanks "46erjoe" <46erjoe@whoknows.net> wrote in message news:k3iav1hevcknhtt2o626gh8a66shi25637@4ax.com... > For security I reasons I would like to delete incoming mail without > having to open it first. As my Outlook express is set up now, it open > automatically before I can delete it when I click on the message. > Thanks As noted by the title for this newsgr...

how 2 open Publisher 93 document in Publisher 98 or 2003
I have numerous Publisher 92/93 documents which I want to update and save but I keep getting message "Publisher cannot open this document" - I run both Publisher 98 and 2003 - how can I open these documents - many thanx Depending on the specific version of Publisher those files were made with, you may need to find someone who has that version and start saving up to the present. Try finding someone with Pub 97 - that might work. -- JoAnn Paules Microsoft MVP - Publisher How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375 "Nannarob" <Nannarob@discussio...

The saved file opens as an old version of the file
I am having an issue with saving a publisher file and then when I email it to another computer the file opens as an old version of the file. We have tried saving the file as a different file name each time we make adjustments but it still doesn't work. We are both running Publisher 2003 but I am on vista and the other computer is XP. Please help!!! What makes you believe the file is changing versions? The file will save in the version you select when doing the Save operation. -- Don - Publisher 2000� Vancouver, USA "Laura" <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Slow to recall a transaction or void
Running RMS 1.3 with about a 2GB DB and a decent server (4GB RAM) on SQL 2005. All operations perform smoothly and quickly except when going to F11 to recall or void a transaction. This can take 60 to 120 seconds to just bring up a list of transactions for 1 day. If I then reindex the database, it takes less than 1 second to generate the same list of transactions from F11. Does anyone know what query is being run when you use F11 to look at "recall a transaction for return" or "void" so that I can try and see what is holding things up in SQL. I would have thoug...

Word keeps crashing after opening a saved doc
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I use Remote Desktop to connect to my office computer and transfer documents over. The documents are long (50-200 pages) with jpegs and tables and charts and created on a PC. When I try to open them on my Mac (both iMac and Macbook) they crash within a minute of opening. I've tried sending them through email, saving them with a different name and updating everything on my computer. I don't know what else to do. This is the crash report. Please help! <br><br>Process: Microsoft Word [330...

Aways open workbook on sheet 1 ???
Hi I have a multi-sheet workbook which performs various calculations o each sheet Is it at all possible to make the work book allways open on sheet even if the last save was on sheet 4 for example Sheet 1 is like the "home page" for the work book Thank -- benson6 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- benson68's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3034 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=50005 I think this should work for you - Code: -------------------- Private Su...

Connection busy.
Is there anyway to reduce or eliminate this error in Rules in Outlook 2002:? "The operation could not be completed because the connection is busy performing other tasks." It then turns off the Rules involved and I have to manually turn them on again. TIA, Mike ...

How do I open a Word file after downloading it from the web?
After downloading a Word document from the web, the dialog box will not stay open long enough for me to open the document. How do I uncheck the "close this window after saving" link on the dialog box as it won;'t dtay open long enough for me to do it? If you downloaded it, then you saved it somewhere on your hard drive. Double-click on it there. Or it appears in the "Recent Items" list on the Start menu. On Feb 9, 12:27=A0am, Ed <E...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > After downloading a Word document from the web, the dialog box will not s= t...

Changing the default folder view when opening or saving a file
In PowerPoint 2003, when clicking file>open to open an existing file, the “open” window defaults to the List view. Can the “Details” view be saved as the default? ...

Outlook 2003 will not open
Can not open outlook 2003 client after closeing it. I have to reboot or kill the process in taskmanager before I can open it again. ...

Opening Links in Outlook 2000
Hi i have an issue, where if i click a secure link in outlook, it opens ok, but if i click another secure link without closing Internet explorer, the 2nd link doesnt work. OS is server 2003 running citrix Outlook 2000 SP3 IE7 any ideas? Sackboy This is a setting in your IE. Go to IE\Properties\Advanced and make sure that you have a checkmark in "Reuse windows when launching shortcuts" When done hit Apply. Try the links again -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "Sack...

Outlook connectivity & offline issue
I have seen other people post this, but I haven't seen the answer - when I try and look at a folder in CRM for Outlook it gives me an error and says to contact my system administrator. When I try to go offline, it says that I do not have sufficient rights or that the server is offline. I am using CRM 1.2, looged into an XP box with local admin rights on this box and system admin rights on the server. I am a CRM user with admin rights. The web product seems to be fine, it is just the Outlook integration that is failing. Is there some other security setting that I am missing? - B...

opening safe attachments
Whenever anyone sends me any attachment, Outlook blocks me from opening it, including .doc files which I need to open. How do I tell Outlook to allow me to open these files? Goto Outlook->Tools->Options->Security tab-> and UNCHECK "Do Not allow attachement to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus. RS "just wondering" <just wondering@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CBD9F205-A4B3-4582-9EF4-AE28907F8CBF@microsoft.com... > Whenever anyone sends me any attachment, Outlook blocks me from opening it, > including .doc files w...

I am having troubling opening an excel document.
I am trying to open an excel document. I did work for my class on another computer with the same version of office that i have, which is 2007. But mine is enterprise. I dont know if that makes a difference. When i try to open it on my computer the workbook does not open correctly. When i originally saved the workbook i had three different tabs on the bottom. U know the ones that say like one two 3? Well i have worked three different problems in each tab. WHen i open it on my computer the tabs are gone and only one part of my workbook shows. For instance only question 3 tab will s...