Slow Open/Save over Network Connection

My client has an Apple XServe located in a "co-location" server farm
which is providing very fast and reliable network speeds (10 mbps DL,
11 mbps UL).  His office location is using AT&T DSL with DL speeds
around 3.5 mbps.  The directory that sits on the XServe is shared over
the internet so my client can access it from multiple locations.  Most
of the documents are MS Word files.  They are using Intel based iMacs
with the latest versions of MS Office 2008.  The problem my client is
facing is the horrible speeds of opening, saving, and closing Office
2008 files.  It could take up to a couple minutes to save a document
they usually get a spinning beach ball while it's saving.  Is anyone
else facing these issues?  Are there any tips/tricks I can try to help
increase the speed?

Finally, just to make sure it wasn't the connection, I opened the same
MS Word document using Apple Pages '08 and it opened within 1-2
seconds.  It saved the document within 2 seconds (of course I made a
couple changes to the document before saving it).

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

Best,
Brent

----------------
0
brentsal (1)

Opening additional mailbox
I have an Exchange 2003 server, and my clients are all running Outlook 2003. A supervisor has requested access to a suboordinates e-mail box, so I added her (supervisor) with rights to that mailbox, and now inside of Outlook I can specify it to open the additional mailbox. The thing is, it is diplayed as so "Mailbox - User Name", and because these people work in an open workgroup type environment this box may be visible to people that look at her desktop. Can that be renamed? Named to display something else, or am I going about this all wrong. You cannot do that through Outlook...

failure of Open XML 1.1.4 to work
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Previous versions of this worked fine. This version comes up with comment "not enough memory". As I have 2mg Ram this seems strange. Any help appreciated. I'm afraid you haven't provided sufficient information for anyone to go on, especially since that message quite often has nothing to do with memory. For any questions of a technical or performance nature it's important that you specify your current update level of OS X as well as for Office. Exactly when does this messag...

Can see form in design view but not in open or layout view
I have set up the tables, relationships and forms. When I first created the form I was able to view when clicking open. I made a couple of changes and now when I click on open a box pops up to enter perimeter value. Also, I can no longer see the form in opne or layout but if I click for design view, I can see my form and all the tabs. There is either something missing or somthing is named incorrectly. Had a similar problem recently where a new version was installed in the front end, but the table in the back end had not been updated properly (a new field) and the new version of the...

UAC prompt when opening Windows Live Mail
Why does this pop up each time I open Windows Live Mail? Is there someway to tell it that it is ok for WLM to open so that I don't have to keep clicking on it? Have you toggled on the option for the WLM shortcut(properties/advanced tab) to 'Run as Administrator' in Vista or Windows 7 ? If so, uncheck it. -- ...winston ms-mvp mail "myschnucki" <myschnucki@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1499C644-21AF-4231-A50E-1C0D885A676E@microsoft.com... > Why does this pop up each time I open Windows Live Mail? Is there someway to >...

Word forces Save As when Saving
I have had this happen quite a few times since using Word 2007 (Office 2007 suite) over the last 1+ years . At some point while working in a Word document, I press Ctrl-S to save and instead of saving the doc as usually happens, the Save As dialog comes up and I am forced to save the document with another name. This is very, very frustrating and completely interrupts my workflow because after saving with a new name, I have to close the document, delete the original so I can rename the saved-as doc with the right name. This seems to happen when I've been working in the sam...

Outlook client connect to exchange server 5.5 problem
Outlook client connect to exchange server 5.5, i get the following message box: "The name could not be resolved. The connection to the microsoft exchange server is unavailable. All other clients are able to connect and resolve the mailbox name. I can't ping and resolve the exchange server from the problems outlook client. The problems occur after i run repair the w2k pro. can anyone help? EL can not ping... well start with basic IP testing. use ipconfig /all from a command prompt on the misconfigured client. Check for DHCP default Gateway - make sure it looks like a client t...

integrate with connect logistics
Did not see my post show up. I have some liquor stores looking at RMS for their POS solution. Problem is, simply accounting and quickbooks integrate with connect logistics where liquor is ordered. I don't exactly how integrated it is but I am told that there is no double entry. Anyone had any experience with this? Any integration with RMS and connect logistics? Thank You -- Kate Hulit Asyma Systems Inc. Kate Hulit wrote: > Did not see my post show up. I have some liquor stores looking at RMS for > their POS solution. Problem is, simply accounting and quickbooks integr...

Check Verification data is not saved into the database
A Check tender type has been created with the "Open" Check Verification. It seems to work OK except: 1) Although Driver's License, State and Birth Date are diaplyed on the form in POS the data entered is not saved into the Database. 2) The account Number is masked with X's. Can this be switched off anywhere? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open th...

Copy and Paste not saving format changes
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi, I just bought Microsoft Office for Mac early this month and am still getting used to it. Can someone help me with this: I have several documents typed onto a notebook layout with lots of bullet points, color changes, cross outs and the like. I wanted to copy and past all of that into a new document but when I did ALL of the formatting changes were lost. There were no bullet points, so the text flushed left, yada, yada, yada. I looked around the toolbar to try and find a setting that would allow me to do the cut an...

Import/export custom attributes
I have something that is driving me nuts. I need to import a custom attribute for 600 plus users and then also modify these from time to time. Right now I just need to do the bulk import. I have the user names in a spreadsheet with this ID and it is unique to the user. I need to import that into the AD for everyone. I have looked everywhere and can't figure out how to do it. I am USELESS at scripting with VB, and I tried running some csvde queries but not much luck. can someone help?? thanks!! ...

Setting directory for file save in macro
Hi Thanks to a generous poster I now have a great bit of code to use in a macro for Excel which saves a text file (I'm no VBA programmer so this was really helpful), i.e.: Open "Test.txt" For Output As #1 (rest of code) My problem now is this: The macro saves test.txt to Excel's current active folder, rather than the folder that the current workbook is contained in. For example, if I last saved an Excel workbook to c:\workbooks\, and the workbook that I have open exists in c:\workbooks\workbook1\, when I run the macro it saves the text file in c:\workbooks\. If I ...

save Excel file to *.prn file
When I save as Excel file to Formated text(space-delimited) (*.prn)file and sended to other Company, they can not open it.Please help Hi with what application are they trying to open your file and what error did they receive? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany humed wrote: > When I save as Excel file to Formated text(space-delimited) > (*.prn)file and sended to other Company, they can not open > it.Please help Just to piggyback on Frank's response: Can they open the .prn file in notepad. It's just plain text, so if they can't open it there, then it may have...

Saving html message as Draft changes text formatting...
WIN XP HE, OL 2002 Hi, I have recently noticed that whenever I write an email (using Word as editor) in html format, and instead of sending it, save it (to the drafts folder), the text itself changes format from my default to another one. It seems to change in the paragraph style which then changes the text format. The only change I recently made was to edit my signatures in html, rtf and plain text format. When I write a new email, it opens up with the signature already in it and perhaps there are format/style conflicts..? Tx for shedding some light into this. S As an added information, t...

High CPU usage and slow response
Hi everyone. (cross posted from public.backoffice.smallbiz) Contrary to my quote and recommendations, my client has purchased a system with an Intel Desktop mobo (DQ45CB/DQ45EK) and SBS2008 SP2 and handed them over to be used as his 'server'. It had RAID1 configured on the board (2 x 1Tb drives) and a single 320Gb drive which the shop configured as the system/boot drive (I don't understand why you wouldn't RAID the system/boot drive too!?), core 2 quad and 4Gb RAM. Anyway, I have re-configured the RAID array as the system/boot drive and installed SBS on a 100Gb pr...

Slow responce of cash drawer OR printer error
Hi every one. Some time the cash drawer response is very slow. Sometimes the cash drawer opens, but the receipt doesn't print. The computer searches for a while and then at the end it displays an error message. I have TM88IV & APG Cash Drawer, using OPOS driver, using Microsoft RMS 2.0 with Windows Vista. if any body have some idea please help me Thanks in advance I have the same experience but with a SureMark 4610 - TF6 Any ideas? Kyle "Akbar Mian" <AkbarMian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:22EF9D16-A753-4FEF-A199-A232F571EFFD@microsoft...

Help revising slow code
I am using the following code to remove all the lines in a worksheet that have a zero value in Column H. Because there are thousands of rows in the worksheet, this loop takes forever! Does anyone have any suggestions for doing this more quickly? Thanks! Sub Delete_Row_w0() Dim Firstrow As Long Dim LastRow As Long Dim Lrow As Long Dim CalcMode As Long Dim ViewMode As Long With Application CalcMode = .Calculation .Calculation = xlCalculationManual .ScreenUpdating = False End With With Sheets(1) .Select ...

IE8 'View Source' opens minimised
Suddenly, after no previous problems, when I open 'Page / View Source' in IE8 it flashes on screen then minimises immediately to the Taskbar. It can be viewed when maximised ok. It can be resized and I have then tried closing whilst holding down Ctrl. It only happens to 'View Source' not any other window. I am perplexed? Hi Bob, It is probably hidden from view behind the IE Window. Just move the IE Window down your screen to see the View Source window behind it. I have noticed the same issue since the last IE security update (last night my time)... It is a...

recently opened files in the Open section of the Task Pane
Hi, In Excel2003, how can I remove the list of recently opened files in the Open section of the Task Pane? -- Thanks, Jeffrey On Feb 28, 12:42 am, "Jeff Hopkins" <atomic58"NOSPAM"@sc.rr.com> wrote: > Hi, > > In Excel2003, how can I remove the list of recently opened files in the Open > section of the Task Pane? > This is a same list as Recently used files list under File menu. Go to Tools -> Options, and under General tab remove checkmark at Recently used file list. You must restat excel after this to change take effect. -- Regard...

Using Outlook over a Network
Hi, I would like to know what software I need to allow multiple users to access one MS Outlook Calendar. The computers currently have Outlook 2000 and I would like the users to be able to edit one central calendar simultaneously, directly in the calendar (ie. not requiring users to send emails etc.) What sofware beyond Outlook 2000 do I need and is there any info on how this is done? Thanks Adrian Check out http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm -- PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~ -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com? -Plea...

Exchange error
Hello, for one week now, my exchange 2000 server crashes nearly every night at random time, the only solution to have it all restart is to restart the entire server. In the application log, multiple error events are reported like these : Event Type: Error Event Source: Userenv Event Category: None Event ID: 1000 Date: 26/07/2005 Time: 01:27:39 User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: BELLINI Description: Windows cannot establish a connection to *domain name* with (1364). Event Type: Error Event Source: Userenv Event Category: None Event ID: 1000 Date: 26/07/2005 Time: 01:37:41 User: ...

Attach Trigger to Save Function of Form
I am in the processes of trying to attach a trigger to the Save function of an already existing GP form using Dex. In one of the documents, it states that the CM_Checkbook_Maitenance has a SaveRecord function. I am trying to acces the function that is similar to this on the PM_Vendor_Maitenance form. I tried using SaveRecord and when I tried to compile it it says that it is an unknown reference. Is there some documentation with a list of the functions for each form? Mike, PM_Vendor_Maintenance is an older form and probably doesn't have a SaveRecord function. Try running t...

open Outlook 2000 .ost file in outlook 2000
Does anyone know how to open a .ost file that was created and saved from a different account? Yes - see www.exchangerecovery.com paddy wrote: > Does anyone know how to open a .ost file that was created > and saved from a different account? ...

MSMoney 2006 file on network
Hi -- Is it possible to have the MSMoney file in a shared directory on a LAN, so that it can be accessed from two computers (each running a copy of MSM2006)? What precautions need to be taken, eg., can MSM2006 on both computers be running simultaneously, is there a file access lock (like with Word), or is there danger of corrupting the file contents? Any insight into the subject would be helpful. --Marcin PS. I know of the "share file" feature, but I don't want to use it, since it seems to require that the file be exported to MSN first. PPS. Please, reply to the NG only. ...

spoolsv.exe uses 95% CPU networked printer
Hello there, new boy here. I really hope someone can help with a problem I`m having with my wife`s laptop running Vista home. We have a network printer which the laptop can see and connect to (wireless), if I try and print anything the print starts and then stops with the spoolsv.exe taking up just about all of the CPU. There are no error messages the exe file just sits there hogging the CPU. In the system32/spool/PRINTERS folder there is 1 SPL file and one SHD file, there is nothing else in there. This also happened when I tried to use the same printer (HP psc1355) as a sh...

How can I open an attachment with a .pub ending in Office email?
S omeone sent me an attachment in Microsoft Publisher. I have Word and Office 2003. How can I open this document and not have gobble-de-gook? Thanks. Have your sender convert it to a PDF. There are free converters. If that is impossible send it to me and I will convert it for you. mary-sauer at columbus.rr.com -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "mblc" <mblc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FA15FE51-C732-4E94-A054-26A2970D9D93@microsoft.com... >S omeone sent me an attachment in Mi...