Screwed up on MS Office install. Please Help

I realize this was my own stupidity but I didn't know Mac included a
test drive version of MS Word soooo... when I installed Office 2004 on
a friends new Mac G-5 OS 10.4(sweet machine by the way!)of course word
wont open. It wants to upgrade the old installation but refuses to
accept any of the word or office folders I select. I have tried using
the remove office tool in the test drive package and reinstalling but
no joy! Anybody know what I should do now to get this to work?
TIA
tj

0
redi4u (4)

In article <1116127079.204162.12130@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
 "jonzy" <redi4u@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I realize this was my own stupidity but I didn't know Mac included a
> test drive version of MS Word soooo... when I installed Office 2004 on
> a friends new Mac G-5 OS 10.4(sweet machine by the way!)of course word
> wont open. It wants to upgrade the old installation but refuses to
> accept any of the word or office folders I select. I have tried using
> the remove office tool in the test drive package and reinstalling but
> no joy! Anybody know what I should do now to get this to work?
> TIA
> tj

Without knowing what exactly you've done so far, my suggestion would be
to run the Remove Office application from the Office 2004 install disk,
and delete both the Test Drive and regular installations, then reinstall
Office 04 and update it with the SP1 updater, found at MacTopia
downloads:

    http://microsoft.com/mac/downloads.aspx

If you then have trouble getting the installer to accept a previous
version, insert the CD of the previous version, and use that to validate
the install.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
5/15/2005 3:33:22 AM
Trash both folders!

jonzy wrote:
> I realize this was my own stupidity but I didn't know Mac included a
> test drive version of MS Word soooo... when I installed Office 2004 on
> a friends new Mac G-5 OS 10.4(sweet machine by the way!)of course word
> wont open. It wants to upgrade the old installation but refuses to
> accept any of the word or office folders I select. I have tried using
> the remove office tool in the test drive package and reinstalling but
> no joy! Anybody know what I should do now to get this to work?
> TIA
> tj

0
j.coday (1)
5/15/2005 3:55:28 AM
 Thanks  I didnt see the office removal tool in the the new
installation just in the test drive folder. I'm skeptical that it would
be different but I'll try that tomorrow when I get back over there.
Unfortunately he doesn't have internet access yet so I have to figure
this out from my place and I'll download the updates here and take take
them over.
About using "the CD of the previous installation" that would have to be
the install/restore disks then cause those those are only CDs he got
with the G5 I doubt that would work but hey I'll try anthing once.

 Just  to clarify eveything that happend for the record;
 I installed a just purchased retail version of MS Office 2004 for Mac,
on a brand new, just out of the box Mac G5. OS 10.4. I was not aware
there was a "Test Drive" version of Office included with the OS. I used
the install wizard as opposed to the folder drag and (by the way
installer says it checked for previous office installations as part or
the process and found none! but...) the installer finished a
"successful install". When i tried to start word, a box came up saying
it now found a older version ... click to upgrade (it was pointing at
the office 2004 identities folder if I remember correctly, not the test
drive folder) or browse to the correct folder manually so I clicked
update but i was informed that folder wasn't eligble for upgrade find
the correct folder ect... thats when I saw the test drive folder in the
Apps ...Darn I said and outloud too!  So chose that folder still not
eligible. i tried the office 2004 folder, still no. one or two more
likely canidates, nada.
  I canceled out of the update went to the test drive where I saw the
remove tool cilicked that. It listed two entries which I can't remember
exactly but both were  followed by (including test drive) removed them
restarted and did a reinstall from  the retail cd again successful and
again tried to start word again finding an older version and yada yada
yada... thats why I'm here.
There is oviously something not being removed by the remove app which,
i was hoping, someone here had run into and could poiont me towards.
This could be a permissions problem but for which file?
I realize I was careless here but I'm getting a little tired of
installers and uninstallers that simple dont do what they say they are
doing. On a system that's been used and modified i can understand
having a problem but not on a clean box like this!

anyway sorry for the rant and thanks for the suggestion

0
redi4u (4)
5/15/2005 6:32:12 AM
In article <1116138731.970254.112180@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
 "jonzy" <redi4u@hotmail.com> wrote:

> About using "the CD of the previous installation" that would have to be
> the install/restore disks then cause those those are only CDs he got
> with the G5 I doubt that would work but hey I'll try anthing once.

> I realize I was careless here but I'm getting a little tired of
> installers and uninstallers that simple dont do what they say they are
> doing. On a system that's been used and modified i can understand
> having a problem but not on a clean box like this!

Actually, it sounds like the installers/uninstallers aren't the real
problem.

If you're getting a dialog asking for an eligible previous version,
you've got an upgrade package, not a standalone. That discounted package
is only valid to upgrade a previous version of Office (98, 2001 or v.X).
If your user has never bought Office before, then there's nothing to
upgrade - he needs to buy the standalone package.

If your user hasn't got a previous version, he may find an old copy of
Office 98 (try eBay, a users group, etc) cheaper than the difference in
price between upgrade and full versions.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
5/15/2005 1:35:48 PM
God I hope not! I'll double check that.  I'm relatively sure I would
have have noticed that it was an Upgrade pkg but then again...I've
learned never to under estimate my own stupidity

0
redi4u (4)
5/15/2005 4:27:29 PM
Well I was right! at least about my being stupid, it was an upgrade
kit. WHAT A MAROON!
In my defense it doesnt say upgrade on the cd box  anywhere (I'll just
gloss over the fact that it is on the cd in 1/4" letters and all over
the outer packaging doh! )
Anyway Thanks for your time and at least the world is making sense
again.

0
redi4u (4)

Please Help!!! credit/debit card processing
I know there is way to set up the credit/debit card processing without actually using ICVERIFY or PCCHARGE. I am guessing you would have to emulate something but, I am not really sure on how it is done. Any kind of input will be greatly appreciated. RMS does come with an integrated Credit Card processing solution. Before you can set up Store Operations to process credit and debit card transactions through Citibank, you must have an Internet connection. Your connection must support SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) and HTTPS: (Port 443). Processing through Citibank does not support direct...

all new and existing db's say "ms jet db engine stopped the proces
Hi, I've read all the posts regarding this error "The Microsoft Jet database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time." I'm getting this message every time I try to open any new or existing MS Access database and they will not open. I've had this message before as described by others, but this is not an SQL back end table with a null or query, form, or crash problem. One of our desktop techs found a solution, but works for another company now. Anyone else have a solution? I have several desktop...

Primission / resticted access to files using the MS server
I wish I have NEVER deciced to use this facility!!!@ I should have kept to paper and pin.. This word file is totally useless to me now. I have been using the tool facilty sucessfully for years but now it won't let me get to my own files.., I think you can tell what I think about this product. Hello Ron Ron wrote: > I wish I have NEVER deciced to use this facility!!!@ I should have kept to > paper and pin.. This word file is totally useless to me now. I have been > using the tool facilty sucessfully for years but now it won't let me get to > my own fi...

Project Accounting and Time & Expense connecting with MS Project
We need an easy way to connect hours reported for project inside Business portal to also be connnected with MS Project to better manage overall projects. MS Project should be able to look at the GP database of Time reports. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message ...

help with separate email accounts
hi- i have multiple email accounts with roadrunner- i've set up the accounts using the wizard On my Microsoft Outlook 200 sr-1 and entered all the pertinent info. however i don't know how to manage the accounts from the tool bar--in other words...i don't know how to check each and every email separtly. in my old Outlook Express 6.0., i would normally go to File-->Switch Identites---> and then i would select which email i wanted to go to--to write or read my Inbox....with my upgrade to Microsoft Outlook 2000 SR-1---i don't know how to do the same. I'm stuck ...

Help! error while installing CRM 3.0
Hi, During the installation of the CRM SBE 3.0 on SBS server 2003 premium, performing binary install of Microsoft CRM server components, I got en error, CRM 3.0 server setup failed, here is the last part of the crm30svrsetup.log. .... Installing MSCRM prepopulated data 08:49:50| Info| Creating indices in MSCRM database 08:49:51| Error| Install exception.System.Exception: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.InstallDatabaseAction failed. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: The Microsoft Search service cannot be administered under the present user account at System.Data.SqlClien...

Registering Office 2004 for Mac
Unable to complete registration due to invalid product ID. It seems the last 5 digits of the ID change with each installation. How do I obtain the correct one? Thanks. In article <1188084031.166432.48990@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, gordon.leggett@gmail.com wrote: > Unable to complete registration due to invalid product ID. It seems > the last 5 digits of the ID change with each installation. How do I > obtain the correct one? Thanks. All registration does is allow you to sign up for an email newsletter. Make sure you select the correct Upgrade/New Product button ...

Seaside Helps Shutdown the MSBlaster Worm!
Seaside Helps Shutdown the MSBlaster Worm! Internet Worm Shuts Out Email Users On Monday, August 11th, a new worm was discovered infecting machines across the Internet. The worm is spreading rapidly by exploiting a Microsoft Windows DCOM RPC vulnerability. The worm spreads itself by attacking port 135, the port used by Outlook Exchange clients to connect to Microsoft Exchange servers. In an effort to stop the spread of the worm, many organizations, including numerous ASPs and ISPs, have shutdown Internet access to port 135. Unfortunately, this also shuts down Outlook clients using MAPI t...

New Update Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 11.3.4
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3254227027_2096185 Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit Before you install this update, make sure that the Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 11.3.3 Update is installed on your computer. Be sure to quit all Office applications and Notifications before installing. Quit any virus software also. Note: Entourage will still show 11.3.3 (061214) under About Entourage after the update. About Word shows as 11....

office 2007 trial problems
I downloaded trial office 2007 student, and when I open it a few times it said their was a problem downloading and it wasn't complete, or something to that affect. How would I redownload it? Also in Vista msn mail when I click on spell check a window says I have not downloaded a dictionary in this language, and it doesn't correct any mistakes. What do I do? Also I'm new here; posting this it asks to select a discussion group. Looks like 1500 different ones and hard to go through them all, yet did not see anything concerning office 2007; what do I dio in this situation or othe...

Excel and MS Works v4.5
Have been using MS Works v4.5 with W98se for some time now due to invoicing capability, but am new to e-mail and the net. Am wondering if Works document or spreadsheet files are e- mailable or convertible to such and also if recipient can read these files with more modern versions of Excel and Word. Thanks Mark I use excel2002, but not Works. But Works has an option under File|SaveAs to save as a .xls file. I think I'd do a little experiment and save your file as a .xls file and email one. Then find out if everything worked ok. Mark wrote: > > Have been using MS Works ...

Help with Transpose problem
I trade in the stock market & use excel to convert a list of ticker symbols to a csv file to import to a charting program. I start with a vertical list in excel, I copy then paste special & tell it to transpose. It seems if the list is too long I get an error message: "The information cannot be pasted because the copy area and the paste areas are not the same size and shape. Try one of the following: Click a single cell then paste. Select a rectangle that's the same size and shape, and then paste" I assume what is happening is that I don't have enough columns across...

Help! Money 2k4 wont work!
Everytime I try to run M2004, I get an error message, including restart M2004. But it will not load. Tried reinstalling etc... Nothing seems to work. Can anyone help me to get money 2004 up and running again? THANKS! And that error message would be............ "Malcolm" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0e6201c3c685$018d66e0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Everytime I try to run M2004, I get an error message, > including restart M2004. But it will not load. Tried > reinstalling etc... Nothing seems to work. Can anyone > help me to get money 200...

creating workflow using MS Outlook
hi! can anyone help me on how to develop a leave workflow app using outlook. ...

4.0 Outlook client install
When attempting to install the Offline client the install fails about 90% of the way through on several pc's. Office 2003 is being used and other offlline clients have been installed correctly. The following erros are in the log files: Action 11:48:06: SetupCompleteError. Action start 11:48:06: SetupCompleteError. Info 2898. For TahomaBold10 textstyle, the system created a 'Tahoma' font, in 0 character set, of 16 pixels height. Action 11:48:07: SetupCompleteError. Dialog created Action ended 11:48:21: SetupCompleteError. Return value 2. Action ended 11:48:21: INSTALL. Re...

Installing MS Publisher from Office XP Professional
How can I install MS Publisher. I was told it comes with this suite but cannot seem to be able to find it anywhere on the setup CD. Thanks a lot in advance, Pete. StepNjump <StepNjump@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > How can I install MS Publisher. > I was told it comes with this suite but cannot seem to be able to > find it anywhere on the setup CD. Whoever told you that told you wrong. Only a very select few copies of Office XP Pro came with Publisher, and it probably wasn't yours. Office Professional 2003 *does *come with Publisher...

Help Freezing Multiple Rows
In earlier versions, you clicked below the rows you wanted frozen in place or to the right of the rows you wanted frozen. Now I see only how to freeze row 1. I have a main title in row 1, row 2 is blank and row 3 has column headings, so I want row 3 to stay frozen in place. I am having trouble accomplishing this and need help, please. Thank you. -- Virgo click on cell A4 then on the menu bar Window/Freeze Panes "Virgo" wrote: > In earlier versions, you clicked below the rows you wanted frozen in place or > to the right of the rows you wanted frozen....

Date function help
I have order received date. I will start the order on the next comin THURDAY always. My delivery date is 9 days from the start. eg. Received date = 5/7/2004. Start Date is = 8/7/2004. Delivery dat will be 17/7/2004. Can somebody help with a formula to calculate delivery date. By the wa we are into furniture manufacturing. Thanks in advance, Itt -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com > ... My delivery date is 9 days from the start. > .. a formula to calculate delivery date. If col B contains the start dates, from row2 down just put in say, C2: =B2+9 (think Excel will fo...

Data types
How do you mach the data type in excell with the data type in access? In excess I have have for SSN the category as special and type social security number, ans in Access I have the data type as" number". What can I do to get them to mach so I can update my records? Also with Zip code and Phone number in excel and "number" in Access. Andrew Hi it is generally accepted that zip code, phone number (maybe SSN, but i don't use these) are stored as TEXT in Access as you're not performing calculations with them and might like to store non-numeric symbols (e.g. t...

Activation Problem with XP Professional after Repair Install
Ok, the short story. My system wouldn't start up even into safe command prompt. So, I put in the XP disk and Repaired the installation. After that it boots up fine, comes up to the login screen, even loads my custom desktop picture. I log in (it even logs into my domain) and it says, Windows needs to Activate in order to run. That didn't surprise me. I click yes. Nothing ever happens (well not for 30 minutes). My screen is blank except for my desktop background and mouse pointer. No CTRL ALT DEL, no ALT Tab, nothing. The only things that tell me the pc is still ...

Upgrading from Office 97 to Office XP
My company will be upgrading from Office 97 (WinNT) to Office XP (WinXP). As of right now they are telling us that training dollars just aren't in the budget. Meaning - well, handouts, web references, book... whatever the business units want to pay for. We have wide variety of users. Some do one or two things in Word or Excel, some power users... My feeling is that when we roll these people out they are going to be alarmed at the jump. Multi-facted clipboard, task pane, adaptive menus, smart-tags... these are the big ones off the top of my head that just "appear". Without...

Error problem ?! Someone help ?
Account: 'Windows Mail', Server: 'pop3.live.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR command not implemented', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18 Try these settings: Live.com Settings: Server names and ports: POP3 = pop3.live.com Port = 995 SMTP = smtp.live.com Port = 587 Checkboxes you need to check include: Server Tab: "My server requires authentication" (Click "Settings" button also and fill in "Log on Using" email address - *** but do NOT check the ...

Try on that critical patch from MS
--tubqraiueqdaemnh Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="rdukmkcxgkuqbpf"; type="multipart/alternative" --rdukmkcxgkuqbpf Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="jkthreplkbhxiivp" --jkthreplkbhxiivp Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "February 2004, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilit...

Budget Help for Refinance of Mortgage
Refinanced my mortgage in September. Closed the old mortgage and opened new mortgage. Under Budget Debt in the budget repoorts now totals the amount of the old mortgage payment plus the new one. Obviously would like to eliminate the old one...When actually using the budget module to set up budget only shows the new mortgage payment Any suggestions ...

Windows ME and excel compatibility Help!!!!!
I am in urgent need of some help!!! I have Windows Millenium on my computer and this came with Microsoft works. I hate it! It does not contain microsoft excel for some reason, only microsoft works spreadsheet. This program is horrible and will not do any of the functions that excel does. Does anyone know what I need to do to get some sort of version of excel 97? I see that you can get excel 2003 (very expensive) but I just need the oldest version that is compatible with most excel files out there. I am ina frantic state because I recently signed up for an online class that requi...