Running Office 2001 on Mac OS 10.2, help

This might be a dumb question, but I don't want to screw things up. I
was running Mac OS 9.0.4 and I downloaded OS 9.1, 9.1.2, 9.2.2 and
then the new 10.2. However, all my software is still in the 9.1
classic.  I want to use it all in the new OS 10.2.  Will Office 2001
Academic Edition work in OS 10.2? Do I need to uninstall it in OS 9.1
first, then install it is OS 10.2?  Or, can I just drag and drop it on
the 10.2 desktop or in the applications folder?

I have a lot of other expensive softwares in OS 9.1 that I don't want
to have to upgrade, but need to be able to use in OS 10.2.  Will they
work in the new operating system too?  They are mostly Adobe stuff
like Photoshop 6.0, Quark 4.1, Illustrator 9.0, Freehand 9.0, and
Pagemaker 6.5 plus.

Also, what's the most effective/best method to unistall cleanly, if I
have to. Thank you so much for your help.
Stacey

On 10/18/03 9:01 PM, in article
1dcb0c1d.0310182001.60a7f8eb@posting.google.com, "Stacey"
<staceys2nd@aol.com> wrote:

> This might be a dumb question, but I don't want to screw things up. I
> was running Mac OS 9.0.4 and I downloaded OS 9.1, 9.1.2, 9.2.2 and
> then the new 10.2. However, all my software is still in the 9.1
> classic.  I want to use it all in the new OS 10.2.  Will Office 2001
> Academic Edition work in OS 10.2? Do I need to uninstall it in OS 9.1
> first, then install it is OS 10.2?  Or, can I just drag and drop it on
> the 10.2 desktop or in the applications folder?
>
> I have a lot of other expensive softwares in OS 9.1 that I don't want
> to have to upgrade, but need to be able to use in OS 10.2.  Will they
> work in the new operating system too?  They are mostly Adobe stuff
> like Photoshop 6.0, Quark 4.1, Illustrator 9.0, Freehand 9.0, and
> Pagemaker 6.5 plus.

None of these apps get installed "in" an operating system. They get
installed on a computer. If you're still on the same computer - and it
definitely sounds as if you are - you don't have to install anything.
They're already there. You just start them up, and "Classic" opens to
accommodate them. With so many classic apps, you'll probably want to keep
Classic open all the time and have it open at startup. You can make those
settings in System Preferences (in the Dock) - Classic. If you want to - you
don't have to.

Entourage is a special case in OS 10.2. The Microsoft User Data folder,
which was in the root Documents folder on your hard disk for OS 9, needs to
be in you "user" Documents folder for OS 10.. That's

Hard Disk/Users/[username]/Documents

So move it there and delete it from the root Documents folder on your HD. If
you might sometimes be booting into OS 9, you can make an alias of the
Microsoft User Data folder (option-command-drag from new location to old)
back in the root Documents folder after you delete the real folder from
there. Now you'll be able to reach your identity for mail, contacts,
calendar, etc. from either location.

> Also, what's the most effective/best method to unistall cleanly, if I
> have to. Thank you so much for your help.

You don't need to, now but if you should ever have to, get the "Remove
Office 98 and 2001 Tools" application from the MacTopia website

<http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.aspx#Office2001>

--
Paul Berkowitz
MVP Entourage

Please "Reply To Newsgroup" to reply to this message. Emails will be
ignored.

PLEASE always state which version of Entourage you are using - 2001 or X.
It's often impossible to answer your questions otherwise.

On 10/18/03 21:01, in article
<staceys2nd@aol.com> wrote:

> This might be a dumb question, but I don't want to screw things up. I
> was running Mac OS 9.0.4 and I downloaded OS 9.1, 9.1.2, 9.2.2 and
> then the new 10.2. However, all my software is still in the 9.1
> classic.  I want to use it all in the new OS 10.2.  Will Office 2001
> Academic Edition work in OS 10.2? Do I need to uninstall it in OS 9.1
> first, then install it is OS 10.2?  Or, can I just drag and drop it on
> the 10.2 desktop or in the applications folder?
>
> I have a lot of other expensive softwares in OS 9.1 that I don't want
> to have to upgrade, but need to be able to use in OS 10.2.  Will they
> work in the new operating system too?  They are mostly Adobe stuff
> like Photoshop 6.0, Quark 4.1, Illustrator 9.0, Freehand 9.0, and
> Pagemaker 6.5 plus.
>
> Also, what's the most effective/best method to unistall cleanly, if I
> have to. Thank you so much for your help.
> Stacey

Stacey,

You need Office V.x if you want it to natively run under OS X. If you
install Office 2001, OS X will call OS 9 to run it. So, in answer to your
question, it will run under 10.2.x but will run in an OS 9 window. You
should be able to run most of your software in OS X just fine. If you need
to uninstall, check each program first for an uninstall application.
Virtually all OS X apps can be uninstalled just by throwing it's package
away and then emptying the trash. The drag-uninstall may not be perfect
either since some files might be left behind. Best to read the documentation
carefully for each app. Good luck...

Wayne

LT Wayne J. Kulick
Space Systems Engineering
Naval Postgraduate School

0
wjkulick (5)
10/20/2003 12:42:16 AM
In article <BBB87D78.169F%wjkulick@nps.navy.mil>,
 LT Wayne Kulick <wjkulick@nps.navy.mil> wrote:

> Virtually all OS X apps can be uninstalled just by throwing it's package
> away and then emptying the trash. The drag-uninstall may not be perfect
> either since some files might be left behind. Best to read the documentation
> carefully for each app.

Office apps are good examples of apps that should not be uninstalled
by dragging them to the Trash. Hidden or other files that aren't
removed that way can be detrimental when the apps are reinstalled.

For Office 98/2001, use the Remove Office apps found at

    Mactopia downloads:
    http://www.microsoft.com/mac/download/default.asp

For Office v.X, use the Remove Office application found in the Value
Pack folder on the install CD.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)

removing replicated table information from MS Office Access 2003
I have a tool that exports .xml files which are then imported into a table. If I import the file without any replicated information (ie. s_ColLineage, etc) how would this affect the database? Is it safe to do this? Would I be better off just making the tables not replicable? Thanks On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 03:33:07 -0800, DukeJon <DukeJon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Assuming your Access database does not need replicating, yes, it is safe to omit those fields during import. -Tom. >I have a tool that exports .xml files which are then imported into a table. >If I import the f...

Excel 2007

upgrade from mac office to pc?

worksheet tabs 01-06-10
Hi In the 2003 excel-- Is there a way to have the worksheet tabs automatically go in alphabetical order-- or do you have to do in manually? -- Thank-you! Ruth Ruth, Use this code: Sub ArrangeSheetsInOrder() Dim iCount As Integer Application.ScreenUpdating = False iCount = Sheets.Count For i = 1 To iCount - 1 For j = i + 1 To iCount If Sheets(j).Name < Sheets(i).Name Then Sheets(j).Move Before:=Sheets(i) End If Next j Next i End Sub "Ruth" wrote: > Hi > > In the 2003 excel-- Is there a way to have the worksheet tabs automatically ...

Standalone install of Office 98 Upgrade?

Lookup based on criteria in 2 columns

Running average
Hi Guys, Been struggling a bit on this so a pointer would be great. Just a simple example would do.. tableA with two fields "Startdate" and "Amount" now i need a running average in the query which would give me the following output: [Startdate] - [amount] - [average] 1-1-2010 - 100 - 100 2-1-2010 - 50 - 75 3-1-2010 - 60 - 70 So in the average column the last value should be the average of the sum of the previous records and the current records (being the average of the total). I know that the fieldnames are...

Rollup 2 and Office 2007

Microsoft POS #2

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Help with income/expenses

help with simple maths in excel

Need help with Auto Filter

HELP! remote data not accessible msg

Help with a simple database
I am attempting to use Excel to develop a simple database for my office. The database basically lists a variety of orders purchased from various vendors, and my goal is to categorize and sort each vendor seperately. For example: GC Group 4/24/03 7831.1 $1,000.00 Alpha 1/20/03 7003.1 $2,000.00 Chandler 5/6/03 7050.1 $345.50 Is what the main chart looks like. Now, what I'm trying to accomplish is, suppose I added Tomsen 4/20/03 7873.1 $200.00 to the very bottom, Excel would automatically create a new tab (or even worksheet, if possible) tit...

Looking for help on timing within a function
At the facility I work, our associates use a very basic access database to sign out individual work orders on an interval of around every 12 minutes. They have asked if it would be possible to put a timer on the front page of the database to show how long they have been working on the current work order, updating each time they sing out another order. I am not very adept at access nor is the rest of our management staff. Is it possible to add this function, so they can better keep time of their work being done? Use the Form Timer event. Here is an example of how it can be done. In this ex...

Office 2003, Outlook (Outlook Today)...

Can anyone help ?

matching contents #2

Please ignore #2

Need Query Help

office 2010 and windows 7
word 2010 is hanging (seems on autosave) a great deal, especially with larger (>3MB) files. it hangs the system and I have to do a hard reboot (power down). any idea as to why? system is windows 7 ultimate, office 2010. Right-click My Computer, Disconnect Network Drive. -- Mary Sauer MVP http://msauer.mvps.org/ "KPTools" <support@kptools.com> wrote in message news:0F5ACF22-111A-416A-BECC-8E83543259AE@microsoft.com... > word 2010 is hanging (seems on autosave) a great deal, especially with larger > (>3MB) files. it hangs the system and I have t...

Excel Problem