Removing "link to previous" in section footnote

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

I have a document divided into sections.  The footnotes are linked to the previous sections.  I want to unlink on of the sections but when I delete the &quot;link to previous: check mark on the formatting pallet, the document immediately reverts to the draft mode.  If I then switch back to layout view the document is fine until I scroll down to the sections that I unlinked.  Then the document again switches to the draft view and refuses to display the layout view.  WTF???? <br><br>How do I unlink the sections in this mother without everything going to hell in a hand basket?
0
robor

> I have a document divided into sections.  The footnotes are linked to the previous sections.  I want to unlink on of the sections but when I delete the &quot;link to previous: check mark on the formatting pallet, the document immediately reverts to the draft mode.  If I then switch back to layout view the document is fine until I scroll down to the sections that I unlinked.  Then the document again switches to the draft view and refuses to display the layout view.  WTF???? <br>
> How do I unlink the sections in this mother without everything going to hell in a hand basket? <br><br>By the way, the document has now crashed!  I this a bug in the program or did Microsoft really intend it to crash?
0
robor
10/23/2009 4:42:40 PM
> &amp;gt; I have a document divided into sections.  The footnotes are linked to the previous sections.  I want to unlink on of the sections but when I delete the &quot;link to previous: check mark on the formatting pallet, the document immediately reverts to the draft mode.  If I then switch back to layout view the document is fine until I scroll down to the sections that I unlinked.  Then the document again switches to the draft view and refuses to display the layout view.  WTF???? <br>
> &amp;gt;  <br>
> &amp;gt; How do I unlink the sections in this mother without everything going to hell in a hand basket? <br>
> By the way, the document has now crashed!  I this a bug in the program or did Microsoft really intend it to crash? <br><br>Oh, the document just recovered itself.  Guess what?  The sections are linked again.  As I said before, WTF????
0
robor
10/23/2009 4:44:53 PM
> &amp;gt; &amp;gt; I have a document divided into sections.  The footnotes are linked to the previous sections.  I want to unlink on of the sections but when I delete the &quot;link to previous: check mark on the formatting pallet, the document immediately reverts to the draft mode.  If I then switch back to layout view the document is fine until I scroll down to the sections that I unlinked.  Then the document again switches to the draft view and refuses to display the layout view.  WTF???? <br>
> &amp;gt; &amp;gt;  <br>
> &amp;gt; &amp;gt; How do I unlink the sections in this mother without everything going to hell in a hand basket? <br>
> &amp;gt;  <br>
> &amp;gt; By the way, the document has now crashed!  I this a bug in the program or did Microsoft really intend it to crash? <br>
> Oh, the document just recovered itself.  Guess what?  The sections are linked again.  As I said before, WTF???? <br><br>By the way, the Word HELP is USELESS!
0
robor
10/23/2009 4:48:26 PM
> &amp;gt; &amp;gt; &amp;gt; I have a document divided into sections.  The footnotes are linked to the previous sections.  I want to unlink on of the sections but when I delete the &quot;link to previous: check mark on the formatting pallet, the document immediately reverts to the draft mode.  If I then switch back to layout view the document is fine until I scroll down to the sections that I unlinked.  Then the document again switches to the draft view and refuses to display the layout view.  WTF???? <br>
> &amp;gt; &amp;gt; &amp;gt;  <br>
> &amp;gt; &amp;gt; &amp;gt; How do I unlink the sections in this mother without everything going to hell in a hand basket? <br>
> &amp;gt; &amp;gt;  <br>
> &amp;gt; &amp;gt; By the way, the document has now crashed!  I this a bug in the program or did Microsoft really intend it to crash? <br>
> &amp;gt;  <br>
> &amp;gt; Oh, the document just recovered itself.  Guess what?  The sections are linked again.  As I said before, WTF???? <br>
> By the way, the Word HELP is USELESS! <br><br>I think I found the solution (no thanks to Microsoft).  If I designate the new section as having a different first page, then I can remove the link to previous without the document crashing.  Then I can link all of the following pages to the previous pages in the new section.
0
robor

Header changing globally, even with link to previous deactivated.

Link to Previous
my [Link to Previous] button is pale and unresponsive. i'm working on a Word document and want to change 'sections' as chapters change. You don't mention which version you are using, this can change the necessary instruction to solve problems. Usually the reason that the Link to Previous is grey is that either you are in the first section of the document, or that tha document only has one section. The following article has some good tips on using the Header/Footer area and what can be done within its area. http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm ...

Removing "link to previous" in section footnote
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I have a document divided into sections. The footnotes are linked to the previous sections. I want to unlink on of the sections but when I delete the &quot;link to previous: check mark on the formatting pallet, the document immediately reverts to the draft mode. If I then switch back to layout view the document is fine until I scroll down to the sections that I unlinked. Then the document again switches to the draft view and refuses to display the layout view. WTF???? <br><br>How do I unlink...

Removing "link to previous" in section footnote #2
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I have a document divided into sections. The footnotes are linked to the previous sections. I want to unlink on of the sections but when I delete the "link to previous: check mark on the formatting pallet, the document immediately reverts to the draft mode. If I then switch back to layout view the document is fine until I scroll down to the sections that I unlinked. Then the document again switches to the draft view and refuses to display the layout view. WTF???? How do I unlink the sections in this mother wit...

why is link to previous button in my header/footer bar grayed out
why is link to previous button in my header/footer bar grayed out? The button will be active if your document consists of at least two sections (that is, if at least one section break has been inserted) and if the insertion point is in a header or footer of a section other than the first one. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP (Message posted via NNTP) "Shari Summerlin" <ShariSummerlin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DB04BB84-DB7F-4C57-9E8D-1C1D378FE196@microsoft.com... > why is link to previous button in my header/footer bar grayed out...

Need to Format 49 section breaks to link to previous.
I did a mail merge for letters and I need the resulting 150 page document to have page numbers 1-150. However, the section breaks all have "Start numbering at 1". Without accessing every section is there a way to globally set continue numbering or link to next section for the document? Millieac wrote: > I did a mail merge for letters and I need the resulting 150 page > document to have page numbers 1-150. However, the section breaks all > have "Start numbering at 1". Without accessing every section is there > a way to globally set continue numbering ...