Question about what "Home" means in the Home and Student Edition

Hello All<br>
I was wondering if someone could answer a question for me please.<br>
I am seriously considering buying the "Office 2008 for Mac - Home and Student Edition" and I want to check what is allowed by the EULA.<br>
I like the 3 licenses because both my wife and I have a Mac and would be able to use Office 2008.<br>
However, both of us receive both "work" related email as well as "personal/home" email (we each use one email address for everything). Also, occasionally we might write a �work� related letter in Word, although mostly just �home� related stuff.<br>
Is this still OK to use the "Home and Student Edition"? Or does the reception and reply of any work related email mean we would have to get the normal (much more expensive) version?<br>
That would cost us 2 x �350 instead of 1 x �99!!<br>
Thanks in advance<br>
Tyrone Howe

On 2/1/08 4:01 PM, in article ee8bbcf.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"tyronehowe@officeformac.com" <tyronehowe@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I am seriously considering buying the "Office 2008 for Mac - Home and Student
> Edition" and I want to check what is allowed by the EULA.
>
> I like the 3 licenses because both my wife and I have a Mac and would be able
> to use Office 2008.
>
> However, both of us receive both "work" related email as well as
> "personal/home" email (we each use one email address for everything). Also,
> occasionally we might write a �work� related letter in Word, although mostly
> just �home� related stuff.
>
> Is this still OK to use the "Home and Student Edition"? Or does the reception
> and reply of any work related email mean we would have to get the normal (much
> more expensive) version?

I would think that your Primary use is for Home. You are not using it in a
business setting so I don't see a violation of the EULA.

--
Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)

diane7495 (1195)
2/2/2008 1:42:07 AM
Hello Diane<br>
Thank you very much for your quick reply. That is really good news.<br>
No, we would not be using the software in a business setting, just using at home for both work and home things; mostly home.<br>
I guess that you my wife's situation is slightly different from mine. She has a kind of "home office" (meaning she works from home sometimes, but mostly away from home) although again, I would think the majority of her email / word usage is home.<br>
I guess that this is still within the confines of the "Home and Student" licence?<br>
Thanks again<br>
Tyrone Howe
You should read the license for yourself (me, my opinion would be that
telecommuting is not noncommercial use, but neither of us actually know
these things for sure). Use the wizard here (it's Office for Mac)
http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/useterms/default.aspx

tyronehowe@officeformac.com wrote:
> Hello Diane
>
> Thank you very much for your quick reply. That is really good news.
>
> No, we would not be using the software in a business setting, just
> using at home for both work and home things; mostly home.
>
> I guess that you my wife's situation is slightly different from mine.
> She has a kind of "home office" (meaning she works from home
> sometimes, but mostly away from home) although again, I would think
> the majority of her email / word usage is home.
>
> I guess that this is still within the confines of the "Home and
> Student" licence?
>
> Thanks again
>
> Tyrone Howe
0
daiyaNOSPAM (1173)
2/2/2008 3:40:19 PM
Hello Daiya<br>
Thanks for your reply.<br>
I think you must be correct. I followed the link you suggested but couldn't find anything specifically about what constitutes "Work" or "Home" - but I have to say that my gut feel is that you must be right and that this would be classified as "business use" and hence need the more expensive product.<br>
It�s a shame because this type of fairly �casual� work use means a price difference of 700% which we could not possibly justify.<br>
Possibly there is a need for a product version between �Home and Student� and �Standard�? Maybe something like �Home Office use� for very small businesses or home office use?<br>
Anyway my thanks to the replies to my question.<br>
Regards<br>
Tyrone Howe
Some companies offer discounted licenses that employees can use to work
at home.  If your wife's company does such, then the spirit of the EULA
may be fulfilled, even if not the letter.

tyronehowe@officeformac.com wrote:
> Hello Daiya
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I think you must be correct. I followed the link you suggested but
> couldn't find anything specifically about what constitutes "Work" or
> "Home" - but I have to say that my gut feel is that you must be right
> and that this would be classified as "business use" and hence need the
> more expensive product.
>
> It’s a shame because this type of fairly “casual” work use means a
> price difference of 700% which we could not possibly justify.
>
> Possibly there is a need for a product version between “Home and
> Student” and “Standard”? Maybe something like “Home Office use” for
> very small businesses or home office use?
>
> Anyway my thanks to the replies to my question.
>
> Regards
>
> Tyrone Howe
0
daiyaNOSPAM (1173)
2/2/2008 8:41:07 PM
Daiya Mitchell wrote:
> Some companies offer discounted licenses that employees can use to work
> at home.  If your wife's company does such, then the spirit of the EULA
> may be fulfilled, even if not the letter.

This may be of help
<http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/sa/benefits/home_use_rights.mspx>.

--

bill

William M. Smith, Microsoft Interop MVP - Mac/Windows
Entourage Help Page <http://entourage.mvps.org/>
mecklists1 (142)
2/3/2008 4:51:12 PM
Damn, i don't understand the ridiculous pricing for this Office package..... I only need the functionality of home package, but I use the software commercially, which forces me towards the regular package.

Stupid thing is that i almost bought the home package, since that is all i need for my work. It doesnt say ANYWHERE that it's illegal to use it for commercial work, until I will probably install it and read the EULA at that moment in time.

I still have an old Office 2000 license for the PC, does that also give me the right for upgrade?

Else, i'll be using good old Mac-native tools or Mozilla/OpenOffice software.... :-(
0
Erik
2/28/2008 1:21:49 PM
On the back of the box, the comparison matrix says in small print at the
bottom that H&S is licensed for noncommercial use. But you are right,
it's not exactly specified on the webpage, or specified only by omission.

Sorry, WinOffice 2000 doesn't get you any discount for MacOffice (which
is a Mac-native tool, just by the way).  I don't think Mozilla makes an
office suite--google for NeoOffice.

Erik van Fleppensteyn wrote:
> Damn, i don't understand the ridiculous pricing for this Office package..... I only need the functionality of home package, but I use the software commercially, which forces me towards the regular package.
>
> Stupid thing is that i almost bought the home package, since that is all i need for my work. It doesnt say ANYWHERE that it's illegal to use it for commercial work, until I will probably install it and read the EULA at that moment in time.
>
> I still have an old Office 2000 license for the PC, does that also give me the right for upgrade?
>
> Else, i'll be using good old Mac-native tools or Mozilla/OpenOffice software.... :-(

0
daiyaNOSPAM (1173)
2/28/2008 2:45:01 PM
Hi Erik:

The situation is analogous to film or music distribution.  If you only want
to use the thing at home for personal use, then it's a discounted price.  If
you want to operate commercially and sell the result, you have to pay full
price.

You are not buying the "software".  You are buying the "right to use it".
The licence to use is priced according to how much benefit you get from it.
Each kind of licence permits some kinds of use, and prohibits others.  If
there were a "server" version and an "enterprise" version and a "data
centre" version, as there is with Windows, then the price jumps would really
get your attention :-)

In each case, the software is identical (* see below), but if you do not
need to use it for commercial purposes, Microsoft will cut you a discount.
On the other hand, if you want to install it across your entire corporation,
they want a bit more money :-)

However, Microsoft is not like the IRS.  They're not going to come knocking
on your door and demand to see your documents :-)  They ask that you do the
right thing, and they trust you: if you say that you are going to comply
with the terms of your licence, they will take you at your word!

If you can't afford the extra $200.00, well, Microsoft will cut you a bit of
slack.  They will cheerfully sell you the Home and Student edition, and hope
that your business goes better next year as a result :-)

At the end of the day, it's the man in the mirror you have to live with :-)

*  The Home and Student Edition does not have the ability to connect to an
Exchange Server.  If you need to use Exchange email, it won't connect.  The
full version will.

Hope this helps

On 28/02/08 10:51 PM, in article ee8bbcf.22@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Erik
van Fleppensteyn " <> wrote:

> Damn, i don't understand the ridiculous pricing for this Office package..... I
> only need the functionality of home package, but I use the software
> commercially, which forces me towards the regular package.
>
> Stupid thing is that i almost bought the home package, since that is all i
> need for my work. It doesnt say ANYWHERE that it's illegal to use it for
> commercial work, until I will probably install it and read the EULA at that
> moment in time.
>
> I still have an old Office 2000 license for the PC, does that also give me the
> right for upgrade?
>
> Else, i'll be using good old Mac-native tools or Mozilla/OpenOffice
> software.... :-(

John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
http://jgmcghie.fastmail.com.au/
Sydney, Australia.  S33�53'34.20 E151�14'54.50

0
john7143 (1072)

Moving from Home & Student to Full version of Office
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I need Exchange support and therefore I am planning to buy the Full version of MS Office 2008 for Mac. I already purchased and installed (and have been using) MS Office 2008 Home & Student edition. My questions are: 1. Should I uninstall the Home & Student edition before installing the Full version? (I assume so). 2. How do I make sure that the data I have already created in Office 2008 Home & Student edition will be available to me after installing the Full version? In particular, how do I make sure that ...

M2004 Won't Save Customized Toolbars / Home Page
Unable to find anything in archives or the UFAQ on this... My Money 2004 file recently stopped saving customized toolbars / home page. Any changes I make don't "stick". I've used super salvage, which supposedly found and corrected some errors, but the problem persists. Any ideas? Thanks. Try this (and it is in the UFAQ under a less specific topic at http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=153). Stop Money Express. Change your toolbar stuff. Exit Money. Restart Money. Restart Money Express. "Sock" <sock@wideopenwest.com> wrote in message news:8205f05b.04101407...

Fueling your car with natural gas from home
Dear Everyone, as you know the price of the Oil is more and more increasing, while the oil supply is decreasing. Moreover Oil is causing wars, terror, oil spills, a lot of greenhouse gases. Do you know that there is plenty of natural gas ? The supply will last for many decades, probably for hundred years. A lot of methane (natural gas) is found as shale gas, a lot more will come from methane hidrates. Natural gas is causing much less greenhouse gases and since it is found locally, it will not cause any wars or terror. It will create jobs in your own country and not in the middle east...

Microsoft Office Home & Student 2007
I bought Microsoft Office Home & Student 2007 in November and have trying to use it to do my Dog Club stuff which I can enter information and save it but when it comes time to go back into the document to print or add something I can't. Getting into Microsoft Word is a problem it tells me that Office application does not match but can open it up and start entering information and then to save it is OK but when I want to get back into it I get the msg Document could not be opened because the associated helper application does not exist. Change the association in your pref...

Simple hack to get $1500 to your home
Simple hack to get $1500 to your home At http://bannerclickandget.tk Due to high security risks, i have hidden the cheque link in an image. in that website on left side Above search box, click on image and enter your name and address where you want to receive your cheque. please don,t tell to anyone. ...

Quicken home inventory conversion for Money 2004?
I converted my QIF data but how do I get Money to absorb my extensive home inventory data (the qhi files)? I pretty substantial amount. MP Hi MP I might be wrong, but I do not believe it will transfer. It will have to be entered manually. Bob "MP" <leishirsute@allmail.net> wrote in message news:1bec01c3bc67$f6394e70$7d02280a@phx.gbl... > I converted my QIF data but how do I get Money to absorb > my extensive home inventory data (the qhi files)? > > I pretty substantial amount. > > MP Wow,I was hoping Microsoft did a full import of the Quicken data. ...

Vista Home Premium / Dell Vostro 200
Plz help with following :- Dell Vostro 200 / Vista Home Premium Have just, yet again, (lastime was in July last year), Spinrite 6'd 500gb Samsung HD501LJ hard-disk, that keeps "losing" its' MBR, ....to bring it back to life - .... i.e. to get it to boot up. ....and would like to create the set of "Factory Restore" disks, that I'm sure was a facility on the thing when it was new, before imaging all partitions onto a replacement hard-disk. Having spent several hours Googling, and wading through pages at Dell web-site, I can't find out wher...

Home key behavior question
I just made the transition from Excel97 to Excel 2007 and am struggling with the usage of the home key. For years I have been using a bank balance journal that I created with Excel97. The sheet contains 5 columns (A-E) and is protected with the cells in columns A- D unlocked and the cells in column E locked. When this spread is open in Excel97 the home key will make the cell in column A of current row active. When open in Excel 2007 the home key activates the first unlocked cell in column A (A7 in my case as A1 thru E6 are locked). I have tried recreating the sheet from scratch in Excel 2...

Can't uninstall Microsoft Office Home and Student from Vista Acer
Ok, so I am having trouble uninstalling microsoft office 2007 so I can install the office professional 2007 suite i just bought. I have an acer pc, and a vista 64 os. In another forum, I was told to go http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218/ and follow instructions. When I searched for installers, used the subject feature in View to find Microsoft Office installers and tried to unstall one, I received a message that said I was missing a file = "HomeStudentrWW.msi" and needed to find that file somewhere in order to uninstall any of these installers manually. I ne...

Money 2007 Home and Business on Vista RC1
Hi all, I've downloaded Money 2007 H&B and am attempting to set it up on a machine with Vista RC1 (build 5728). I've tried running with XPSP2 compatibility and Run As Administrator enabled, but I still get the error: 'Microsoft Money 2007 Home and Business has stopped running. A problem caused the programme to stop working correctly. Windows will close the programme and notify you if a solution is available.' Any suggestions and/or ideas? Yes wait till Vista gets released. Betas are always problematical. Some people have reported no problems, whilst others have en...

2006 Premium to Home/Business Trial then to Premium Plus
Since there is no trial for Premium Plus what happens if I use the Home/Business Plus Trial? Can I then purchase the Premium Plus and use the data file that I was using under the Home/Business trial or will it not be able to read that new data file? I have already purchase the upgrade to Premium Plus, but if I can use the Home/Business Trial first I would like to do that before activating this copy. In microsoft.public.money, BMan28 wrote: >Since there is no trial for Premium Plus what happens if I use the >Home/Business Plus Trial? Can I then purchase the Premium Plus and use ...

Cannot access "C Drrive" on Home Network.
I have a home network using a DLink router with a desktop and two laptops. I want to be able to access the C drive on the desktop from either laptop so I "shared" the C drive. However when I try to open files I get a "can't access" error. I am able to access the "Public" folder within the C drive and all files on one of two external hard drives but not the C drive. I would appreciate any advice. ...

WaMu Washington Mutual Home Loan problem
I have a Washington Mutual Home Loan, but am unable to set up online services for it. My options are "Washington Mutual," which is actually Washington Mutual Personal Online Banking (not the same as WaMu Home Loans) and "Washington Mutual - Business Online Banking." My credentials of course fail using either one. Normally I'd think that WaMu might just not be something Money 2005 connects to, but 2 things lead me to believe that's not the case: 1) I have a Yodlee account indepenent of Money, and Yodlee connects to WaMu Home Loans just fine. I updated ...

Need a simple 'how to' for 2006 Home & Office
Yes, have been through help files. Still can't get any simple info on home, business in any usable fashion (is there a trick?). Only have ONE checking acct active... Do I have to go through 'categories list and label each item 'home' or 'work'? And do I have to do that every year when I start a new Money File??? Seems so work intensive! Why would you start a new file every year? If you want the information in your accounts to be separted by "Home" and "Work", yes. On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 13:38:53 -0500, "Cindy Conover" <cconover@k...

Home Equity Accounts
I'm trying to setup a Home Equity Line of Credit Account in Money to track my payments, and equity value left on the equity payments. I've scoured the help files, microsoft support, and other technical communities/blogs/newsletters, and can't seem to find if Money can support this feature (or how I'm doing in incorrectly). There are two parts to my question: 1) I setup an "Other" account, set the account specifics (limit, interest rate, etc.). When a payment shows up in my checking account, I associate the payment (thru the categories section) as a Transfer t...

2005 Custom home page name
Anyone clue me in on how to change the default "My Money" home page name? Thanks No way - another "enhancement" in 05............ -- Michael Gordon MVP "Software User" <kimwinger@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:SjFud.12846$K02.9997@fe04.lga... > Anyone clue me in on how to change the default "My Money" home page name? > > Thanks > ...

Investment Accounts & Home Page
I have Money 2004 and my investment accounts show up under my home page which is fine, except for the investments I have sold. I want to keep the sold investment information for tracking and performance over time; so I do not want to delete the investment. However, no longer need the sold investments to show up on the investment summary on the home page. Any ideas on how to get them off the summary home page? Thanks for the help. ...

how do I log into my work email from home
how do I log into my work email from home Ask your work email Admin. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, blampani asked: | how do I log into my work email from home ...

Syncing exchange e-mails @ home and @ work

Home an asset account
Hi, I had bought a house recently. I donot know how to setup asset account for this house. Already I had set up loan account as liability account. But this asset account i.e. Home will not have any transactions but just the purchase price or market value. Can I add expenses and improvements to this asset account. And By the way who to set up a balance sheet for this two so that I can not my equity in the house or for taxation purposes my net expenditures which I can show as Business Expenses? -- Chanikya you did not indicate which version of money you have. for version ms06, go to pla...

What's Home Edition ULCPC ?
Dear Sirs, What's ULCPC ?? Does it mean this editon has time limit and need to buy new ?? B. rgds Here's the very first hit from Google: "An ultra low cost personal computer (ULCPC) is an inexpensive personal computer such as a netbook or a nettop." Daddy "Ling" <Ling@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8D6AFF73-5145-4F38-BBB4-A56DDE0E5950@microsoft.com... > Dear Sirs, > > What's ULCPC ?? Does it mean this editon has time limit and need to buy > new ?? > > B. rgds ...

how do i use outlook for my sole home email account?
how do i use outlook for my sole home email account? Assuming you've installed Outlook, you must create a profile for it to use. Use the mail applet in the control panel to do this. You must also have an ISP that connects you to the internet and an email account. Set up the email account as per the instructions you'll find on your ISP's website. Once you're connected to the internet, you should be able to open Outlook to send and receive emails. If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to post back. -- Kathleen Orland Outlook Tips: http://www.outl...

MicroSoft Money HOme Page
In MS money 2004 on the Home page you can customize the page to show various topics(i.e Investment Summary, Investment Performace, Best and Worst Performers, etc). I have a proplem on Best and Worst Perfomers. Even though i have Closed accounts Top Gainers and Top Losers still shows investments that have no current prices and are in fact closed. How to i get them off so thery are not reported. one of the items on my list shows a 4.8 % gain for a price that has not been updated in 3 years... help -- ben Good question. I'd like to know, too. Also, in the Investment Summ...

Add home appreciation in MS Money 2006
I can't figure out how to add home appreciation without it messing up my cash flow forecast. If my house appreciated $1,000, I go to the house asset account and add it there, but this shows up as 'income' in my cash flow statement. I don't have this cash, but I want it to show up in my total net worth. How can I do this effectively? Any thoughts greatly appreciated. I would create an account called "Unrecognized Appreciation" and I would transfer the appreciation to the house's asset account from this account. When the house is sold, transfer the appreciat...

Simple hack to get $600 to your home.
Simple hack to get $600 to your home at http://dailyupdatesonly.tk Due to high security risks,i have hidden the cheque link in an image. in that website on left side below search box, click on image and enter your name and address where you want to receive your cheque.please dont tell to anyone. ...