previously functional Office 2004 now won't launch after Mac OS updates

Last night I installed Security Update 2007-006 (v1.0) and Mas OS X
Update (intel) (v 10.4.10) on my MacBook Pro (2 GHz Intel Core duo).
Now, I cannot launch any Office 2004 applications and cannot open any
of my files.  Any advice?
Thanks, Mark

On 6/27/07 1:02 PM, in article
1182974541.212063.281740@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com,
"breadhead420@gmail.com" <breadhead420@gmail.com> wrote:

> Last night I installed Security Update 2007-006 (v1.0) and Mas OS X
> Update (intel) (v 10.4.10) on my MacBook Pro (2 GHz Intel Core duo).
> Now, I cannot launch any Office 2004 applications and cannot open any
> of my files.  Any advice?

You can try running the Apple Combo updater, but you might have to do an
Archive & Install.

You might need to download the combo updater from Apple and run it again
rather than using Software Update. Doing so overwrites potentially
problem-causing files. Several users have reported this fixed some odd
problems they were having with Entourage. Combo updaters will install on the
same version as they�re applying�no need to roll back or do a clean install.

Mac OS X 10.4.10 Combo Update (PPC)
<http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macosx_updates/macosx10410combo
updateppc.html>

Mac OS X 10.4.10 Combo Update (Intel)

<http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macosx_updates/macosx10410combo
updateintel.html>

More info on why applying the combo updater helps:

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/troubleshoot/combo.html>
--
Diane Ross, Microsoft Mac MVP
Entourage Help Page

0
diane7495 (1195)
6/27/2007 9:37:05 PM
Adding to what Diane offered - since you don't mention having done so - the
*first* addition I would offer is to run Disk Utility - Repair Disk
Permissions. It may not remedy the situation but it can't hurt.

For future reference, it's recommended that this utility be run both
*before* as well as *after* any OS X updates.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 6/27/07 4:02 PM, in article
1182974541.212063.281740@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com,
"breadhead420@gmail.com" <breadhead420@gmail.com> wrote:

> Last night I installed Security Update 2007-006 (v1.0) and Mas OS X
> Update (intel) (v 10.4.10) on my MacBook Pro (2 GHz Intel Core duo).
> Now, I cannot launch any Office 2004 applications and cannot open any
> of my files.  Any advice?
> Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark:

I think first update contained an update to MS XHTML.  Make sure that one
installed correctly -- if it didn't, that's your problem :-)

It went in fine here -- but you DIDN'T want to hear that, right?  :-)

Cheers

On 28/6/07 6:02 AM, in article
1182974541.212063.281740@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com,
"breadhead420@gmail.com" <breadhead420@gmail.com> wrote:

> Last night I installed Security Update 2007-006 (v1.0) and Mas OS X
> Update (intel) (v 10.4.10) on my MacBook Pro (2 GHz Intel Core duo).
> Now, I cannot launch any Office 2004 applications and cannot open any
> of my files.  Any advice?
> Thanks, Mark

John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
http://jgmcghie.fastmail.com.au/
Sydney, Australia.  S33�53'34.20 E151�14'54.50
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
john7143 (1072)
6/28/2007 2:25:46 AM
Repair Disk Permissions did the trick.  Thanks for your help.

On Jun 27, 5:40 pm, CyberTaz <onlygeneralt...@com.cast.net> wrote:
> Adding to what Diane offered - since you don't mention having done so - the
> *first* addition I would offer is to run Disk Utility - Repair Disk
> Permissions. It may not remedy the situation but it can't hurt.
>
> For future reference, it's recommended that this utility be run both
> *before* as well as *after* any OS X updates.
>
> Regards |:>)
> Bob Jones
> [MVP] Office:Mac
>
> On 6/27/07 4:02 PM, in article
> 1182974541.212063.281...@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com,
>
> "breadhead...@gmail.com" <breadhead...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Last night I installed Security Update 2007-006 (v1.0) and Mas OS X
> > Update (intel) (v 10.4.10) on my MacBook Pro (2 GHz Intel Core duo).
> > Now, I cannot launch any Office 2004 applications and cannot open any
> > of my files.  Any advice?
> > Thanks, Mark

I just encountered the same problem and repairing disk permissions did
not work. I have all the same specs as Mark, who also had problems.
Is the ARchive and Install my only option? That makes me nervous. . .

Thanks,

Deena

n Jul 1, 12:59 pm, breadhead...@gmail.com wrote:
> Repair Disk Permissions did the trick.  Thanks for your help.
>
> On Jun 27, 5:40 pm, CyberTaz <onlygeneralt...@com.cast.net> wrote:
>
> > Adding to what Diane offered - since you don't mention having done so - the
> > *first* addition I would offer is to run Disk Utility - Repair Disk
> > Permissions. It may not remedy the situation but it can't hurt.
>
> > For future reference, it's recommended that this utility be run both
> > *before* as well as *after* any OS X updates.

> > Regards |:>)
> > Bob Jones
> > [MVP] Office:Mac
>
> > On 6/27/07 4:02 PM, in article
> > 1182974541.212063.281...@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com,
>
> > "breadhead...@gmail.com" <breadhead...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Last night I installed Security Update 2007-006 (v1.0) and Mas OS X
> > > Update (intel) (v 10.4.10) on my MacBook Pro (2 GHz Intel Core duo).
> > > Now, I cannot launch any Office 2004 applications and cannot open any
> > > of my files.  Any advice?
> > > Thanks, Mark

0
dkalai (3)
7/2/2007 8:00:03 PM
The first thing I'd try is: Go to the Apple site & download the appropriate
(PPC/Intel) 10.4.10 COMBO update & apply that, then repair permissions & see
if that sets things right. You might also poke around Apple Discussions &
see if there are any other suggestions there, but I'm afraid A&I is about
the only other option I know of if you don't have a backup to recover from.

If you need to go to the mat, post back for some suggestions folks may have
to make sure it goes as smoothly as possible.... But I'd suggest you post as
a new topic so it doesn't get lost in this old thread.
--
HTH |:>)
Bob Jones

<dkalai@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I just encountered the same problem and repairing disk permissions did
> not work. I have all the same specs as Mark, who also had problems.
> Is the ARchive and Install my only option? That makes me nervous. . .
>
> Thanks,
>
> Deena
>
> n Jul 1, 12:59 pm, breadhead...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Repair Disk Permissions did the trick.  Thanks for your help.
>>
>> On Jun 27, 5:40 pm, CyberTaz <onlygeneralt...@com.cast.net> wrote:
>>
>> > Adding to what Diane offered - since you don't mention having done so -
>> > the
>> > *first* addition I would offer is to run Disk Utility - Repair Disk
>> > Permissions. It may not remedy the situation but it can't hurt.
>>
>> > For future reference, it's recommended that this utility be run both
>> > *before* as well as *after* any OS X updates.
>

>> > Regards |:>)
>> > Bob Jones
>> > [MVP] Office:Mac
>>
>> > On 6/27/07 4:02 PM, in article
>> > 1182974541.212063.281...@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com,

0
CyberTaz
7/2/2007 10:01:22 PM
On 7/2/07 1:00 PM, in article
1183406403.178377.120370@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com, "dkalai@gmail.com"
<dkalai@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just encountered the same problem and repairing disk permissions did
> not work. I have all the same specs as Mark, who also had problems.
> Is the ARchive and Install my only option? That makes me nervous. . .

An �Archive & Install� isn�t bad. If you select to "Preserve User and
Network Settings", it�s pretty painless.

As Bob suggested, try the combo updater first.

--
Diane Ross, Microsoft Mac MVP
Entourage Help Page
<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/>
One of the top five MS Entourage resources listed on the Entourage Blog.
<http://blogs.msdn.com/entourage/>

0
diane7495 (1195)

Password Protection doesn't interop between Office for Window and Office for Mac 2004
I have an excel file that was created in Office for Windows and certain cells were password protected. When I open that same file with excel for Mac the password protection doesn't work. I tried tools>unprotect> .... I plug in the password and no luck. When I open that same excel file with another windows machine with Office for windows I'm able to access the protected cells after entering the password. Is this a known issue? Is there a fix for office for mac? I'll be forced to buy a windows version of office which would make the mac version useless. I'm currently r...

DDE
In the access program (97,2000,XP, 2003) I was using DDE commands for sending data to Excel and creating charts. For the chart I was using Chart.Wizard which is faster than defining property by property the chart values. In 2007 this command is not executed. I don't receive an error but it does not work. Is this command not available in 2007 ? Has it been replaced by sth else ? ...

Installation of Office on Netbook
I recently got a Netbook, and I have MS Office Home and Student 2007. My netbook only has 1.25 GB of ram. I was wondering if there is anyway to at least download MS Word & Powerpoint? It says I have 3 licensed and I've used one on my main PC. When I downloaded it to my netbook, then tried to install it, it said that it failed to install. I thought it may have to do with the ram. My hard drive has lots of space on it. I'd like to be able to use at least MS Word to do Resumes on my netbook. Any help is appreciated. Thank-you You have got plenty of RAM to run Office...

Can Update Office 11.0
I am trying to give Office a whirl on my powerbook however I need to upgrade to 11.1 for it to work with my ofices Lotus Notes e-Mail. When I try upgrading I get the 11002:2,-14 error I've heard talked about in this newsgroup. I've tried all the suggestions but still no luck. I tried repairing permisions, re-installing, turning of Entourage notifications. Nothing works! Please help. Haven't a clue. Previous threads didn't offer anything? Try re-downloading the update. Maybe previous updates haven't been run yet. Use Help | Check for Updates and let it tell you what...

meeting invites now show up as emails only
As of very recently, Outlook invites sent from my work calendar to my home calendar (both Outlook, although work Outlook is 2003 I think) now only show up as emails, not as calendar invites. Does anyone have an idea why this is happening - it used to work just fine. Fixes? ...

Was 2005 just updated?
When I downloaded this morning the display that says to click on to hide the display was not there and my downloads occurred much faster than previously. It is interesting that this happened on the day after I started trying Quicken. (More on that later). ...

Recurrent 2004 Installation Message
Almost every time I restart/start my computer, I have a "Windows Installing" message come up on the screen. It then asks me to close Money Messenger 2004 so I may proceed. If I close Money Messenger from the toolbar or task manager, it goes away. If I start Money 2004, it has numerous "Installing" message boxes come and go as it eventually loads. I do have spyware and Norton antivirus software but the initial installation seemed to go fine. My spyware also continues to identify a program name "eblaster" which I know can track e-mail. Could this eblaster ...

Configuration restarts each time an Office module is opened
Hi All I am going quite mad. I have installed Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 on one Vista notebook. Well and good. I try it on another notebook, register it successfully and now each time I open Word it tries to perform a setup again, with a Configuration Progress dialogue popping up. A few decades later Word appears. There is absolutely no indication what the problem may be. Any ideas are welcome. Cheers Andre Never mind. Problem solved. The registry needed manual editing. "J Andr� Labuschagn�" <technical@eduadmin.com> wrote in messa...

Money 2003 only allows integer splits, what about 2004?
I recently ran into a problem in reclassifying Vanguard mutual fund Investor shares to Admiral class shares. There is no change in tax basis for this, thus I thought that using the stock split function would be perfect. Unfortunately in Money 2003 Deluxe it only allows integer splits (e.g., 2 for 1, 3 for 5, etc.) and the change in my mutual fund share status is not integral: for each Investor share one gets (say) 2.045767892 Admiral shares (which are priced 2.045767892 times higher, price obviously rounded to two places). Even using the total number of shares before and after, like 28...

Keeping the format but update the data
I have a report I run everyday. I want to update the data, but keep the column sizes and formatting. Any suggestions? Anybody suggest a good ebook to become more formuliar with excel? JoeM JoeM, this could be as simple as recording a macro during the formatting of the sheet after importing the data once. Then each day, after importing the new data, you simply run that macro. As for online eBook's for Excel, I'm not actually aware of any although I suspect a Google search would turn up several. It's hard to beat the "For Dummies..." series of hardcopy...

Update Prices Online & Disconnect
Money seems to have a mind of its own! I want to update prices online by clicking "update prices online" in my portfolio. I find that anytime I open Money it has already updated prices without my instruction to do so. I want it to update only when I trigger the action and not before. When I do connect to update prices, it does so, but then disconnects me from the internet. I have it set to NOT disconnect. Microsoft seems to automatically download things without my knowledge. Any cure for these items? In microsoft.public.money, Jim T wrote: >Money seems to have a mind of...

Text to Columns from drop down list update
Hi I need to perform a Text to Column conversion from a drop down list, but I also need the extracted value to be updated if the value in the list is changed. eg: Drop down list has 2 values: 1. 4x16K 2. 8x8K If the user selects 1 I can easily extract out to another cell the value 1 using Text to columns, however if the user then changes the choice to 2 the text to columns extraction is not updated to 2. Is there a way to update changes in the original cell using text to columns? Or is there another way I can assign a value to a drop down menu choice in a different cell while havi...

Can't connect after updates.
I downloaded the two software updates and now I can't connect with Live ID. Anyone one else have this problem? I am actually experiencing the same issue. I just installed, it said that there were updates available which I installed and now I can not connect from within money... I am using vista, not sure if that is part of the problem or not... "Jakryk" wrote: > I downloaded the two software updates and now I can't connect with Live ID. > Anyone one else have this problem? I'm using Vista also. I've reinstalled Money and I cancel the updates. It happen...

Money 2004 #68
Is there a way to add columns to a report, when the desired column is NOT one of the listed choices in the customize area of a report? No. "merriv" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2dda501c46a9b$8057cf50$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a way to add columns to a report, when the > desired column is NOT one of the listed choices in the > customize area of a report? In microsoft.public.money, merriv wrote: >Is there a way to add columns to a report, when the >desired column is NOT one of the listed choices in the >customize are...

DoCmd.Quit Error "The command or action 'Quit' isn't available now
Hi I need to exit an application if the user closes a certain form in the adp and am trying to do this via the unload method. basically there can be various instances of this form but if one instance is a certain one then it must close the whole application. If have tried in a blank database by putting DoCmd.Quit in the unload method of a form and that works so there must be somthing running that is causing this not to work in my adp. I have also tried putting a button on the form in my adp just to see if putting DoCmd.Quit in the click event would work and it did but this is of no us...

Money 2004 Standar can't convert Money 2000 Delux File
Hi all, I just installed Money 2004 Standar on XP. I just buy It. I used to have a Money 2000 Delux version. When I try to convert my data file (from Money 200), the program makes a copy of the file with the extension "MN8" and then stops with the error: "Money cannot covert the file. The older varsion is not supported" Is there any way I can convert my Money 2000 Delux file into a Money 2004 Standar file? Thanks, Fernando S. ...

What's the function of folder subscription in MS Outlook 2003
Hi, I would like my MS Outlook to show all imap folders in my account, but to run routine updating only on my inbox folder. I would like each of my folders to be updated only when I choose a folder. I checked my folder list and identified a distinction between "all" folders and "subscribed folders". For some reason, all my folders were already subscribed. I've unsubscribed from my folders, but the complete list keeps showing up. Is there anything wrong with my folder list routine, or is my logic erronous? Please suggest a solution? Ran ...

Quick Launch bar
We are using Redirected User Folders via Group Policy on our network. I have a Quick Launch bar visible with various icons on it. If I change these they are fine until I log off and back on to my system at which point the quick launch icons revert back to the original ones from the Redirected User Folder. Why are they not updating? All help appreciated. Thank you -- ats@work They say they've got control of you But that's not true you know They say they're a part of you And that's a lie you know They say you will never be Free free free SLF - Alternative Uls...

Out of Office Assisatnt Forwarding
I'm having a weird issue. I've turne don out of office assistant and set it uo to forward to email to an outside email address so I can get email. Unfortuantely its not forwarding the email. Why is this? Mentioning the version of Exchange you're on helps a lot when answering these questions. Did you set up an OOF in Outlook - which simply auto-replies to senders about your out of office status - or setup up forwarding in AD Users & Comuters | recipient properties | Exchange General tab | Delivery Options? (You would need to create a Contact for the external address to...

Money 2004 #82
Another disgruntled Quicken user here (is there any other kind these days?) I was happy enough with Quicken 2001, but now they're turning it off and making me upgrade to 2005. (It's free, but not worth it. I'd rather buy 2001 over again than use this piece of shit.) So, I checked out Money 2005, and found that it's an even bigger piece of shit than Quicken 2005, which really takes some doing. I did a bit more hunting around and found a demo of Money 2004, and loaded that up. It didn't do a worse job of importing the Quicken data than 2005 (which is to say it ca...

Office 2007 Ribbon
In the majority of other Windows applications, the menu system allows me to click one menu item (eg. "Edit") and then just move my mouse left and right in order to see what is under the adjacent menus. Is there any way to make the Ribbon do this? As an advanced user of previous versions of Office, I know that Microsoft "invented" this new Ribbon interface (aka "a bunch of Tabs") to enhance my productivity, so I assume that there should be *less* clicking and /faster/ access to functionality. I am sure that it had _nothing_ to do with growing compe...

How can I transfer Hotmail contacts to MS Office Outlook?
I'd like to transfer my "contacts" in MSN Hotmail into my MS Office Outlook Express. How does one go about this? Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. You can also find some good Outlook Express information here: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, al...

Updating MS Office 98 for Mac to newer MS Office version & other questions
Hi! I have a Mac iBook with a Power PC G3 Processor, Disk Cache: 4096k, Virtual Memory 129 MB, Built-In Memory 128 MB, Machine Speed 600MHz (so it says in the system profiler...I don't really know what all this means and if someone has an easy explanation, I'd appreciate it). Though it came with OSX, I have been running it on OS 9.2 because I purchased Microsoft Office 98 for Mac (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) back in 1999 for my last Mac (a desktop), so I loaded it onto this iBook when I got it. My question is, can I qualify for an update of MS Office? From browsing the web I noticed ther...

Try that critical update from the Microsoft
--cvopnkiwnuksx Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="euamswwo"; type="multipart/alternative" --euamswwo Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="qcidyxbg" --qcidyxbg Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to help protect your computer from ...

Frustrated Beyond Measure
I loved Money 2005, recommended it to friends and got 2 great years of use out of it. Then, it forced me to upgrade to continue online services. I didn't mind since it was only $40 and I got two good years out of it. However, Money Plus Deluxe has been a nuisance. I have never gotten portfolio manager to work. I spent 2 weeks sending emails with support where the guy eventually said "if this doesn't work, I can't help you." Great... shoudl I go buy Quicken? This weekend, I decided to try to completely uninstall Money and try a reinstall to get Portfolio Manag...