Pre-purchase questions

I have a friend currently using Mac OS 9.2 but probably getting a new Mac
within 6 months running OS X.

He needs word processing primarily. Can the current releases of MS Word
even run under OS 9.2? I see nothing on Microsoft's website about system
requirements.

He's not firmly wedded to the idea of MS Word as his word processor.

Kind regards

0
Morley

On 7/11/04 4:44 PM, in article 2a31501c46790$3c800170$a601280a@phx.gbl,
"Morley Chalmers" <morley@7Office.com> wrote:

> I have a friend currently using Mac OS 9.2 but probably getting a new Mac
> within 6 months running OS X.
>
> He needs word processing primarily. Can the current releases of MS Word
> even run under OS 9.2?

No.  The latest version of Word that will run on OS 9.2 is Word 2001.

> I see nothing on Microsoft's website about system
> requirements.

See
<http://www.microsoft.com/mac/howtobuy.aspx?pid=sysreq>

--
Mickey Stevens (Microsoft MVP for Office:mac)
PowerPoint FAQ featuring PowerPoint:mac: <http://www.pptfaq.com/>

Office 98 and Office 2001 run in OS 9.2.  The only way they will run on an
OS X machine is for the OS X machine to launch Classic, an internal version
of OS 9. Most people eventually start to hate having to go into Classic, so
your friend is probably going to want a native OS X program at some point.

Office X and Office 2004 run in OS X.  Office 2004 is the most recent
version.

Office 98 is so outdated it might be possible to pick up a very cheap copy
for the OS 9 machine, then buy a new one for the OS X machine that he's
getting. MS still hosts the updaters for the older programs:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.aspx

Or your friend will want to consider how upgrades will affect the pricing,
if he plans to buy Office twice:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/howtobuy.aspx?pid=upgrade

Word has a lot of power but it requires learning how to use it--if not doing
anything especially complicated, or not planning on exchanging documents
much with other people, there are other alternatives. Investigate Nisus
Writer, which has a free version, I believe for both OS 9 and OS X, and
Appleworks is a far less expensive suite of programs that serves the same
basic functions as Office. I think Appleworks 6 runs in both OS 9 and X
(although installing it on my OS 9 computer did seem to produce lots of
crashes). Saving as RTF will permit exchange of files and will be allowed by
any word processor.

If really getting a new Mac in six months, it's probably worth using other
options until then, by when he will know if he really needs to pay for Word.
The hidden cost there is learning multiple word processors, and possibly the
difficulty of later converting files created in that six months if he
doesn't use that program anymore.

DM

"Morley Chalmers" wrote:

> I have a friend currently using Mac OS 9.2 but probably getting a new Mac
> within 6 months running OS X.
>
> He needs word processing primarily. Can the current releases of MS Word
> even run under OS 9.2? I see nothing on Microsoft's website about system
> requirements.
>
> He's not firmly wedded to the idea of MS Word as his word processor.
>
> Kind regards

Purchase Orders
Add the ability to import a CSV text file that contains all the items that need to be imported into a Purchase Order. There are businesses that get an excel spreadsheet from their Vendors of all the items that they should be receiving via UPS or Fedex. The business does not know what they will be receiving (ordered) until they get this excel spreadsheet from their vendor. In some cases, they get an excel spreadsheet that contains over a 1,000 items that need to be put into a purchase order. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the sugges...

Please help on RMS Questions
Hello, Request you to please help me on following questions. 1) In RMS can we setup the Customerwise--Item Wise price ? 2) What is the impact if we hold the transaction more than day and closed the registered ? 3) If I did the transaction on Register A and hold I assume that we can Recall that Transaction any store specific register ? please correct me if I am wrong. 4) Is it possible to view the other store on hand Qty ? Your prompt reply will be highly appreciable. Thanks Sandip I will try to answer to my best understnding of what you wish to achieve: 1) In RMS can we setup the Cust...

CRM .NET Compatibility Question
So far you guys have been a tremendous assistance. I just need one clarification if anyone knows. Is the CRM incompatible with .Net Framework 1.1 or just Windows 2003 implimentation of .Net Framework 1.1. I have built a Windows 2000 server and am ready to intall CRM but am not sure if I should use the .Net Framework version 1.1 which is on the windows update site or do I need to dig around for version 1.0 Thank you much River Cox USArchive and Imaging Services. version 1.0 it is Has anyone tried with .net 1.0 sp1 We are currently using sp2 (which I believe CRM recommends anyways). &qu...

Input Button Command Question
Hi all, Is there a way to have an input button show a default value formatted in date format. That is as d/m/yyyy. (I can get it to show the date but insists on showing it in number format only) Don't know what you mean by "Input Button". Could try something like :- mystring = Format(Date, "d/m/yyyy") CommandButton1.Caption=mystring ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Thanks Brian. Sorry about being unclear. The function is for...

description from dimension fields needed in purchase order/item li
We originally did not attach sub descriptions on our matrix/part number because of the way the price tags would read on our merchandise. It is alot cleaner looking to have a simple description and then in the fields below to show size and color. So, it really should not be necessary to attach the dimensions to the part number. As you know with the character limitations this does not give good information anyway. So, what we really need is for the dimension fields to show in seperate colums both when we look at items and when we create purchase orders. Not having the ability to do this i...

Page Footer sum Microsoft solution question
http://support.microsoft.com:80/kb/296249/en-us The above website gives a solution for sums per page but I cannot get any sums to work in the page footer. Are the instructions right? Has anyone else had problems with this? Michael wrote: >http://support.microsoft.com:80/kb/296249/en-us > >The above website gives a solution for sums per page but I cannot get any >sums to work in the page footer. > >Are the instructions right? Has anyone else had problems with this? The article is correct. Carefully, review it again and double check that you followed all of the s...

question about CRM architecture (PBQ (Play Back Queue) in particular)
Does anyone have (or can point me to) any information on CRM's use of the PBQ (Play Back Queue) for offline buffering? I'm primarily wondering if it is utilizing an MSMQ-based queue for its implementation. The reason is that we need to architect offline buffering for custom CRM extension applications (for situations where a salesman's laptop is not connected to the network) and then have the activities "played back" when the laptop is reconnected to the actual server, and would like to "piggy back" onto CRM's PBQ if possible. I'm open to any and all s...

real newbie question...
Hi, I'll cut to the chase, are XSLT files used simply for display or is it possible to put controls on them, like buttons and textboxes etc... Real lame assed question I'll favour, but hey... Thanks in advance Colin B Colin Basterfield wrote: > I'll cut to the chase, are XSLT files used simply for display or is it > possible to put controls on them, like buttons and textboxes etc... XSLT stylesheets are used to transform XML into another format (XML, HTML, text). What resulting document should contain (buttons and textboxes) is up to stylesheet author. -- Oleg T...

Message Box Help
I am trying to create a message box. For instance, if I type the word "pools" in a specific cell, i want a message box to appear with just a lousy "ok" button with a brief message. Also, I want to create a message box in a different cell so that no matter what value (or text) is entered into that cell, a message box will appear with the same "ok" button and message. Thanks in advanced. No exactly the behavior you want, but you can get close with Data=>Validation. Look at all the tabs and look it up in help. -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy <xxx@yahoo.com> ...

Multi Store Workflow Question
We have one store and a warehouse. We need to order and receive items at the warehouse and transfer them to the store. We need the store to be able to see what is on order and all inventory at the warehouse. Is anyone doing something like this, and how easy it it? At a recent demo, this required many steps, logging into 3 different databases, doing updates, etc. Very confusing for simple tasks we need to do every day. Marvin: Microsoft RMS HeadQuarters would be the solution for you. You can view the inventory in Warehouse and items on order from the Store Mihir Shah Diviasoft, In...

A simple Stuiped Question
I'm trying to install a CommandButton on one of my spread sheets. I formatting the CommandButton I do most everything like change the colors, Text, Fonts, and Size. but I have not found where to install where the CommandButton is to go to, like cell number. I know it seems to be a foolish question, that I am ashamed to asking, but help please Charlie Using Windows 7, Excel 2003 Right-click on the button and select Properties. Top and Left will give you the position on the screen. Turn on the macro recorder while creating a button from the Control Toolbox to get placement code. Gord...

Outlook 2003 Journal Question
Hi all, I've been working on configuring the outlook 2003 journal to my liking. I've set the emails to be recorded into it, but it only records sent emails automatically. Is there an easy switch to get it to record incomming emails as well without me having to drag them from the Inbox to the Journal folder? Thanks in Advance ...

really simple printing question
i have a fairly long excel sheet it's about 800-something rows but ther aren't too many colums. how can i make it wrap up and print what woul normally be 2 pages on to one page? the printer settings aren't working right and i'm getting it to b terribly small when i try and change those to fit. do any of you kno how i could do this? i'm pretty sure this is a really simple task and just have never had to use excel for anything this long before. or care about manipulating it so that it could be done again -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Rhea, I don't...

Question for school
Filters are used to a. establish relationships, b. view a subset of records in a table c. view a list of fields in a table d. none of the above "deborah camp" <deborah camp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8785B061-C0E5-433A-A8F3-CFF39568D649@microsoft.com... > Filters are used to a. establish relationships, b. view a subset of > records > in a table c. view a list of fields in a table d. none of the above > If these are school questions, do you not have a book or some other resource where you can look up the correct answers? Havi...

Footer questions
Using XL 2000 How can I (1) reference a custom footer to a cell in the speadsheet? I would like to have in Left Footer - "prepared on" and in the center footer a date which is entered in a cell in the spreadsheet. AND (2) if you create a custom footer with font formatting in one sheet of a workbook, how can you have it placed on the footer for every sheet in the workbook? many thanks Doug Hi 1. Only possible with VBA using an event procedure Before_Print 2. Select the first sheet with this footer and group all other sheets (hold down the cTRL keya while selecting the other tab...

VBA question re variables
Hello All I wonder if someone can help me with this. I have a form a tab control and 12 pages. On each page a separate piece of data is captured and at the end this is populated into my table. Users move to the next page in the sequence by clicking command buttons on each page which I am trying to code now. The part I am struggling with is this... How can I set the value of a variable in one subroutine and use the variable in another routine without the value of the variable changing which it seems to do? Many thanks in advance and kind regards, Nick "Nick" <Nick@discu...

refinance home loan question
hi have money 05 and trying to get my home loan to refinance. is there a wizard for this or anything? i can adjust the loan terms but it doesn't allow me to make the changes effective in the future and also the calculated amounts come out all wrong. Is the best way to close out the loan and create a new one? Thanks, minnoce944 In microsoft.public.money, minnoce944 wrote: >hi have money 05 and trying to get my home loan to refinance. is there a >wizard for this or anything? i can adjust the loan terms but it doesn't >allow me to make the changes effective in the future a...

Line
I'm plotting monthly and ytd data as columns on the x axis. And for the y axis, I'm showing a percentage that relates to the monthly data, not the ytd data. I've formatted the 4 sets of columns to "0 overlap" and "100 gap width". So, for each set of columns (month and ytd), the month and ytd columns are touching. Currently, the data point for percentage line on the y axis sits in the middle of each set of columns. But since the percentage data point really only relates to the monthly data, I was hoping to shift the line so the data points are over th...

Maybe this is a silly question.
Our company name is "abc" our website is "abc.com" or email is "name@abc.com" our domain name is "abc" we are in the process of changing all this Our company name is going to be "xyz" and our website is going to be "xyz.com" and we want to have our email become "name@xyz.com" For the next few months though we want each persons outlook email to be configured with 2 mailboxes "mail@abc.com" and "mail@xyz.com" so that it stays completely seperate until almost no one sends mail to "abc.com" anymore ...

Migrating Exchange 5.5 multi-sites question
Hi We have a Windows 2000 AD Domain with an Exchange 5.5 organisation with 4 remotes sites located in remote locations. I installed Exchange 2003 on a Windows 2003 member server in SiteA. This server has the ADC installed with 4 CAs. I have moved the users from SiteA into Exchange 2003 with no problems. I plan to install Exchange 2003 on new Windows 2000 servers in the remote sites and move users using the wizard. The question is do I need ADC installed on these remote sites servers with CAs so that I can move users. Will these CAs be two-way.?? Is there anything else I would need to do.?? ...

Exchange 2003
Hello All: I have a global contact list in public folders that I would like to be able to access and email from while in OWA. Clients have access but I cannot figure out how to open up a contact and then select new email. The Icon is available in the tool bar but is grayed out. Is this possible to do? thanks ...

OUTLOOK 2002 question
I have a user that need his email comeing into his inbox to copy down ( not move) his personal folder jaygardner Use a Wizard Rule for this. Set no condition so it will do it for every mail and set the action to move a copy to a specified folder -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tip of the month: -Tips for cleaning up your mailbox Subscribe to the newsletter to receive news and tips & tricks in your mailbox! www.sparnaaij.net (I changed my reply address; remove all CAPS and _under...

Finding my previous questions...
I often would like to come back to this site to lookup one of my previous questions, such that I can again utilize the solution you provided me. However, I often can remember the 'Subject' I used during the submission, and therefore can't find my question. Is there some way I can use this site to locate all my previous submissions? Many thanks http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "cdavidson" <cdavidson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BE778701-F1B9-47F1-B447-D10C5A8D6D53@microsoft.com... >I often w...

Password protection
I have apprx 21 user prompts set up for Outlook 2007. My questions are: 1) is there a limit of profiles, that can be set up? 2) if I use a PST password - can it be the same as the profile password? 3) I am correct in saying that when I get prompted for the profile to use - it will prompt me for both the PST and Profile password? John D Leonard -- Sage <sage.grp@comcast.net> wrote: > I have apprx 21 user prompts set up for Outlook 2007. > > My questions are: > 1) is there a limit of profiles, that can be set up? I've never heard of one. > 2) if I use a PST pass...

xml question #3
Hi I am trying to create the following line in an xml fileusing the xml writer, <Style ss:ID="Default" ss:Name="Normal"> I have ss set up as a namespace I think, see below. Dim spreadsheetNamespace As String = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:spreadsheet" writer1.WriteAttributeString("xmlns", "ss", xmlns, spreadsheetNamespace) I tried the following but it did not seem to work. writer1.WriteStartElement("Style", ID = "Default", spreadsheetNamespace) thanks Paul. Thanks Paul. -- Paul G Software engineer. Hi P...