Overall Office 2008 opinions?

I will soon be making the switch to Mac from Windows at home only and I am
quite interested as to what the general feeling is for everyone?

- Very impressed
- So-so
- Terrible (reasons? - slow, bloatware, etc)

Also, how does it compare to Office 2004 or Neo Office? Appreciate any
feedback

0
barkbees (10)

If you intend to use Microsoft Office at home to work on documents or files
you create or share with Windows at work, then you should install Office
2004.

Office 2008 can't do that.  Regardless of the new features it has, the
ability to share documents back and forth with Windows at Work is not
amongst them.

You will get away with it for very simple documents, particularly if you do
not make any changes to them in Office 2008.  But editing complex work
documents from Office 2003 or Office 2007 in Mac Office 2008 has some
serious issues right now, not all of which can be worked around.

Office 2004, on the other hand, works very nicely.  Sure it has some
limitations and irritations, but generally you can get your work done, and
there are no real show-stoppers.  I do, and have been since � oh � 2004 :-)

Hope this helps

On 14/02/08 8:23 PM, in article uiofNtubIHA.1132@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl,
"Barkley Bees" <barkbees@nomail.com> wrote:

> I will soon be making the switch to Mac from Windows at home only and I am
> quite interested as to what the general feeling is for everyone?
>
> - Very impressed
> - So-so
> - Terrible (reasons? - slow, bloatware, etc)
>
> Also, how does it compare to Office 2004 or Neo Office? Appreciate any
> feedback

John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
http://jgmcghie.fastmail.com.au/
Sydney, Australia.  S33�53'34.20 E151�14'54.50

0
john7143 (1072)
2/15/2008 3:14:57 AM
On 2/14/08 1:23 AM, in article uiofNtubIHA.1132@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl,
"Barkley Bees" <barkbees@nomail.com> wrote:

> I will soon be making the switch to Mac from Windows at home only and I am
> quite interested as to what the general feeling is for everyone?
>
> - Very impressed
> - So-so
> - Terrible (reasons? - slow, bloatware, etc)

You�ll be very impressed with the Mac in general. Right now Office 2008 is
new and will not make a very good impression.

I suggest buying Office 2004 and use the Technology upgrade to get a free
copy of Office 2008. This way you can play in 04 until 08 get's fixed a bit.

The Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac Technology Guarantee program allows
customers who purchase an edition of Office 2004 for Mac to receive an
edition of Office 2008 for the cost of shipping, handling and applicable
tax. This offer is valid for products purchased between September 25th, 2007
and March 31st, 2008.

<http://www.microsoft.com/mac/go/promotions/default.mspx>
--
Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)

diane7495 (1195)

Office 2010 KMS on Server 2008R2
We currently have a KMS running on Server 2008 to activate windows servers. I have setup a new server running server 2008R2. I entered a MAK to activate the server itself. I then ran the KeyManagementServiceHost.exe and entered the KMS host product key. I received the reply "Microsoft Office 2010 KMS host product key has been successufully installed and activated" and I have 6 installs of Office 2010 Pro plus, but when I run slmgr/dlv, I see product key information related to the windows server 2008R2 instead of Office. There is nothing in the log for KMS. ...

Could not activate "Out of Office Assistant..." -> Error
Hello, some of my users could not activate the "Out of Office Assitant...". They get the message "Your Autoreply message could not be displayed. The Client operation failed". Second message is "Changes to the rule could not be saved". If you deactivate the Cached Exchange Mode it works. It works also in OWA. We need Cached Exchange mode for offline working. We use Outlook 2003 SP1 (MUI), Exchange 2003. Any Ideas? Or is it a question for Exchange 2003 newsgroup? THX Frank :-) Hi Frank, Take a look at this link. Might be able to find the answer there. http://...

Office 2003 outlook does not have newsgroups feature #2
Hi Does anyone knows Office 2003 outlook have newsgroupgs feature. Outlook Express has newsgroups feature but not Outlook. Robin Outlook has never had a newsgroup reader built in. It will launch a news-only mode OE session when you use the menu items therein. robin wrote: > Hi > > Does anyone knows Office 2003 outlook have newsgroupgs feature. > Outlook Express has newsgroups feature but not Outlook. > > Robin There's a third party product in beta called NewsLook in beta. Its not ideal, yet, but functional. http://www.ghytred.com/index.aspx Tom S. -- The gr...

how do I Export message from Office Outlook 2003 back to Outlook Express 6.0 ?
Hi, I've been using Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 for a while now. I want to revert back to Microsoft Outlook Express 6,that I'm used to.Since I want to keep some of my messages, the problem is that I cannot export them to a format suitable for Outlook Express 6,that is:Office Outlook 2003 stores message in Outlook.pst file, while Outlook Express stores them as various dbx files (inbox.dbx etc.). All my attempts to export from Outlook Office 2003 failed because I have no format options readble for import in Outlook Express 6. Is there any workaround to this problem ? Thank you all Brun...

Unable to update Office for Mac 11.5.3 to either 11.5.4 or 11.5.5
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel 11.5.5 Update stops responding at "Items Remaining to Be Installed: 349". I have both 2008 and 2004 on this system (primarily for Excel 2004). OS is 10.5.7 on an iMac with 4 GB RAM, 1 TB hard drive (about 83% full), and a 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor. Nothing else is running during the attempted updates. 11.5.4 Update stops responding at "Items Remaining to Be Installed: 3". Haven't tried a reinstall yet. ...

SBS 2008 Install Hangs
Hello, I am trying to install SBS 2008 and it hangs while trying to load the installation files. It doesn't get past the green bar that flashes left to right. This is a dvd install that is created from the iso download from my MAPS subscription. I have downloaded this iso twice just in case. Both DVD's fail at the same step. Is there an issue with this iso? I am able to install Windows server 2008 R2 64 bit, as well as Windows 7 64 bit on this machine. Any suggestions? Thanks Leo Hi Leo: How large is the partition on which you are attempting to install SBS? ...

MacOs Microsoft Office 2004 are not readable on PC in XP's Microsoft Office 2003
Hello, files created MacOs Microsoft Office 2004 are not readable on PC in XP's Microsoft Office 2003. Does somebody know how to fix it would be thankfull for help? In article <1192546836.387326.256680@v23g2000prn.googlegroups.com>, futsutsuka@gmail.com wrote: > Hello, files created MacOs Microsoft Office 2004 are not readable on > PC in XP's Microsoft Office 2003. > Does somebody know how to fix it would be thankfull for help? The file formats are identical, so there should be no problem opening Office 2004 files using Office 2003. How are you transferring the ...

Out of office not working #6
Hi sbs 2003 standard with exchange 2003. One of the users does not have his out of office working. Have removed all rules and reinstalled Outlook but still no luck. What can I do to try to fix it form here? Many Thanks Regards Have you tried deleting and recreating the Outlook profile? Can the OOF be set using OWA? "John" <info@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message news:%23v1xSeT2JHA.1096@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hi > > sbs 2003 standard with exchange 2003. One of the users does not have his out > of office working. Have removed all rules and reinstalled...

Can't get Office 95 shortcut bar to add 2007 program shortcuts
I had office 95 but upgraded to office home student 2007. I removed my 95 word, excell and PPoint. I kept access and schedule. Now i just want to add the new 2007 word, excell & Ppoint to the shortcut bar. I managed to get the icons on the bar but when I click them nothing happens. When I check the shortcut properties there is no program path shown only in gray MS Home & Student. How do I do it? "BillC" <BillC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9AB1B029-108B-49F2-9CBF-239D129B41A3@microsoft.com... > I had office 95 but upgraded to...

connect sharepoint 2007 to SQL 2008
We have a SQL 2008 server installed on windows 2003 ent SP2, and the SQL server has setup with windows authentication (administrator account). On another window 2003 ent we are trying to install SharePoint 2007 ent, and we want to point it to that SQL server. After installation the binary part of sharepoint 2007 ent, the system wants to run the SharePoint products and technologies configuration wizard. When the specify configuration database setting comes up, we are trying to point it to our SQL 2008 machine that have up and running on different machine, but we keep receiving the ...

Entourage 2008 with Mac Office 2004
Sorry for Duplicate Post In corporate environment with OSX 10.4.11 PPC-Intel Workstations. Recently migration from Lotus Notes to MS Exchange on the PC side. Macintosh users will evenutally be affected, because Lotus Notes is being retired. Currently machines have Installation of MACOFFICE 2004 without Entourage. Initial option was to complete a customer install with adding Entourage from Mac 2004 Office CD. After some investigation other option was to install Entourage 2008 and keeping Offce 2004 instead of updating the entire suite. Are there any issues with Entourage 2008 with Ma...

Issue with BITS continually downloading from internet SBS 2008
I have installed SBS 2008. After having my internet shaped 3 months in a row I have found that the Background Intelligent Transfer Service constantly downloading around 200 MBytes an hour. I cannot find a way to stop the downloading apart from disabling the service which means WSUS no longer functions. I am new to Windows Server and on a steep learning curve, everything else is working perfectly (as far as I can see) so any assistance on sorting out this issue would be greatly appreciated. Hi, Thanks for post. Does this issue always occur? If the SBS 2008 server is a b...

Office 97 Outlook
where are the Outlook files located in Outlook 97. OS is Win98. Need to reload windows and need to copy the files. Thanks Assuming you mean mail/contacts, in a *.pst file. Search to include hidden http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm#pst for further help David "Tech" <tech2@techauto.com> wrote in message news:wsydnYdZkYfzaJLdRVn-gQ@centurytel.net... > where are the Outlook files located in Outlook 97. OS is Win98. Need to > reload windows and need to copy the files. > > Thanks > > Tech <tech2@techauto.com> wrote: > where are the Out...

Office 2003 macro won't run in Office 2007
I created a macro in Office 2003 using early binding to copy data from Excel into Powerpoint...not the greatest code...but it works! Now my users are switching to Office 2007 and the code won't run! I have include the relevant string of code below. Dim objPPT As Object Set objPPT = CreateObject("PowerPoint.Application") objPPT.Visible = True Dim PPApp As PowerPoint.Application Dim PPPres As PowerPoint.Presentation Dim PPSlide As PowerPoint.Slide Set PPApp = GetObject(, "Powerpoint.Application") PPApp.ActivePresentation.Slides.range(Array(13)).Selec...

Corporate Upgrade to Office 2007 SP2
Currently: Office 2003 SP3 applications on XP 2002 SP2 Upgrade to Office 2007 SP2 suite We are planning a corporate upgrade from 2003 apps to 2007 suite for 100,000+ users globally. My question is what are the known issues with this upgrade, whether they are server issues, application issues, functionality issues, etc. I have cross-posted this to the usual applications as well as windows.upgrade and office.misc so I can capture all users of these applications as well as the network people. I am aware of the usual new 2007 user interface issues but are there any problems we can head off at...

Transferring 2008 Entourage Data/Identity from iMac G5 to iMac Intel
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop I'm trying to transfer all my data - emails, contacts, accounts, etc. from my G5 iMac to my Intel iMac but get errors when I try - how can I accomplish this? The computers are currently connected via sharing. On 2010-02-03 01:20:17 -0500, natechicago@officeformac.com said: > I'm trying to transfer all my data - emails, contacts, accounts, etc. > from my G5 iMac to my Intel iMac but get errors when I try - how can I > accomplish this? The computers are currently conne...

2008 Excel Print Preview
I do not see print preview under file or anywhere else...wondering if this is specific to my install or it is hidden In article <ee8d6ae.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw>, done@officeformac.com wrote: > I do not see print preview under file or anywhere else...wondering if this is > specific to my install or it is hidden Neither. Since all actual print operations are done via the OS, the separate Print Preview function has been removed from XL08. You can generally use Print Layout view to get an good idea of what the printed page will look. Otherwise, choosing File/Print and clic...

RPC server is unavailable server 2008 R2 RTM, dpm 2010 RC agent fa
Trying to protect server 2008 R2 RTM which has hyper-v installed and has four nodes. It also is on CSV. Automatic agent installation failed with dpm 2010 RC . Copied files over to one of the nodes and ran the agent installation for x64. Setup runs fins. When runing setdpmserver -dpmservername <servername> command following error occurs C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\bin>setdpmserver -dpmserv ername dpm-v3.xxxxx.xxxxx Configuring dpm server settings and firewall settings for dpm server =[dpm-v3.xxxxx.xxxxx] DPM server name provided is invali...

installation of office 2000 outlook
My boss asked me to work from home. I'm taking my Microsoft Office 2000 and installing at home. When I tried to install Outlook, I received a message that asked me to go to Control Panel, and Mail Icon. A Window called 'MS Exchange Settings Properties' opens and it is blank. What do I need to write in there? Presently, I'm using "Outlook Express" for my E-Mails and my internet service provider is Bellsouth. My internet address at home is quinoaa@bellsouth.net. Can you help Maria, You need to click the Add button and add Internet Email. Or you can g...

Bug: Microsoft Office Error Reporter
Is anybody else seeing the Office Error reporter lock up when it tries to report an error? I've had Word go into "Application Not Responding" a couple of times lately -- thank goodness only when I'm quitting, and then I notice that not only is Word hanging around in my Dock, but so is the error reporter, which also "reports" that it is Not Responding. So two applications to Force Quite instead of one. ____________________________ John Laudun Associate Director Center for Louisiana Studies University of Louisiana Lafayette, LA 70504 337-482-5703 This report/quest...

Office 2004 crashes on startup
Just moved all files from mac G4 to new imac G5 via the Apple transfer prompts over firewire. Everything works great except every program in Office crashes instantly. "ex_bad_access" or something like that is the top of error code. Tried repairing permissions, disabling fonts, trashing ALL prefs, reinstalling new Office. Could this possibly be related to the other Office still installed, even though computer is shut off? Was waiting to erase HD until I knew everything was okay. I did start it up to check and Office does work. Wracking my brain on this one... -- To reply b...

Excel 2008 Saving Cell types in XLS format
I am in a spreadsheet and I set an entire column as a date type (right click the top, format cells and I choose one of the date formats). I save it as an xls - Excel 2003 file and when I go back in, that column is set at a currency. I have to save it as an xls and not an xlsX file because I am working with people using other office suites - including *gasp* non Microsoft programs. How can I keep those cells from changing? this happens in Windows and Mac. What is your specific update level of Office 2008? If not 12.2.1 it might explain why the formatting doesn't hold. If you're ful...

Cannot install or uninstall Microsoft Office products...
I have an Acer PC and I am running Vista 64 on it. I got Microsoft Office when I bought it, I believe it came with it, I may have purchased it seperate. Regardless, I have lost the registration key. WHen I try to unistall form Add Remove Programs, it says it is corrupted. I cann't reinstall it without the product key. So I tried to unistall manually per the instructions of someone in the Microsoft Answers website at this link (these are the instructions) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218 he gave me. WHen I try to look up the installers and find them with the subj...

Office Small Business 2007 Upgrade doesn't work
I purchased Office Small Business 2007 Upgrade version (on CD - purchased from Amazon.com), and have both Office Professional 2000 (CD) and Works 9.0 (OEM install on computer) installed on my computer, both of which are listed by Microsoft on the Office upgrade webpage as upgradeable products. Yet the installer says it can find no upgradeable products on my computer, and thus refuses to install Office SB 2007. I'm at a loss, and Microsoft demands a minimum $99 for email support, and/or $259 for telephone support, to help me install what is apparently a defective product -...

Office 2003 keeps Crashing
Any document opened up in office 2003, almost immediately crashes and tries to recover, this use to happen only occasionally, but now it renders the whole of offce2003 unusable have detect and repaired twice, have also ensured program is up to date with patches etc, have uninstalled and reloaded all to no avail, would appreciate any help on this matter regards Phil -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com Phil If this is all office apps I would suspect something added since the office install that is giving this issue. You might also want to try disabling your AV software tem...