Office X 'clean' reinstall: delete all old files?

I'm about to try installing the latest bug-fix collection, sorry.
"security update" for Office X, 10.1.6. I'm hoping it might reduce the
frequency of Word's charming crashes.  Who knows, I might get lucky and
it'll even fix the completely messed up 'contact' feature in Word that
is grayed out most of the time, but when it decides to work, will only
list the 'A's' from my address book.  Just useless.

Anyway, back to the plot: since my Office X is so bent out of shape, I
figure I'll do a 'clean install' from the original disk first, then run
the updater.  So i want to unistall **completely** my existing
installation of Office X.

Problem: as we know, in Mac OS X, you're supposed to be able to
unistall apps just by trashing the app folder from your Apps folder.
But Microsoft being Microsoft, when you install Office X, it sprays
files and folders all over your hard disk, including in places where
you least expect.  Like the fage-hugger critter in 'Alien'.

So does anyone know if there's a list somewhere (I mean posted on the
Net) of where Office X puts allthe files it installs, like an installer
log?  Needless to say, if Office X created such a thing at
installation, it didn't tell me what it was called or where to find it.

Thanks All, --Angus

0
amccallum (4)

> Problem: as we know, in Mac OS X, you're supposed to be able to
> unistall apps just by trashing the app folder from your Apps folder.
> But Microsoft being Microsoft, when you install Office X, it sprays
> files and folders all over your hard disk, including in places where
> you least expect.  Like the fage-hugger critter in 'Alien'.
>
> So does anyone know if there's a list somewhere (I mean posted on the
> Net) of where Office X puts allthe files it installs, like an installer
> log?  Needless to say, if Office X created such a thing at
> installation, it didn't tell me what it was called or where to find it.

There is an MS KB article that I think lists everything--but it is easier
and a better idea to look in the Value Pack on your installation CD and run
the Office Remover.  Repair permissions before and after the re-install.
Look here for other suggested tips, under the Remove and Reinstall link,
which will also lead you to a link in case you might want to backup some
customizations.

http://word.mvps.org/MacWordNew/TroubleshootingIndex.htm
(hit refresh a few times in Safari, or use a different browser)

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

daiyaNOSPAM (1173)
4/5/2005 4:33:00 PM
In article <1112717438.932063.180810@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
 "Steak Boy" <amccallum@toto-ny.com> wrote:

> Needless to say, if Office X created such a thing at installation, it
> didn't tell me what it was called or where to find it.

Steak Boy -

I thought that there was an installer log file (if you went through the
installer) however, I've long since trashed it, if so.

In any case, instead of doing it manually, you should run the Remove
Office application, found on your install disk in the Value Pak folder.

> as we know, in Mac OS X, you're supposed to be able to unistall apps
> just by trashing the app folder from your Apps folder.

I don't know any apps which remove files from the ~:Library folder. Aqua
HIG (Human Interface Guidelines) certainly don't require that
applications do so:

>     Install files only in the locations recommended in Where to Put
>     Files. If users want to delete your application for some reason, most
>     users will simply drag its icon to the Trash; avoid littering the users
>     hard disk with remnant files. If your product uses an installer, it
>     should include an uninstall option that lets the user delete all
>     associated files

Note that Office X meets that requirement, though not in anything like a
transparent way (that's mostly fixed in Office 2004). The "Where to Put
Files" page recommends apps put files in one or more of:

    Library, Desktop, Public, Sites, Documents, Movies, Music, & Pictures

Office X puts files in the Library and Documents folders.

If you want to get rid of your User Identity, including your Entourage
accounts, you'll need to trash the

    ~:Documents:Microsoft User Data

folder as well.

> So does anyone know if there's a list somewhere (I mean posted on the
> Net) of where Office X puts allthe files it installs

Sure - check out the MSKB:

MacOFFX: Files That Are Installed with a Complete Installation of Office
v. X for Mac (Part 1)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311993

MacOFFX: Files That Are Installed with a Complete Installation of Office
v. X for Mac (Part 2)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312129
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
4/5/2005 4:49:38 PM
Hi Daiya --

So there **is** a remover -- thank you!  I don't know whether i owe MS
an apology, or another brickbat for putting a standard feature in a
"value pack" as if it is some extra bonus feature for which we should
all be extra grateful (and presumably be extra prepred to pay the price
of the software).

Enough of my moaning -- you solved my problem, thank you so much!

- SteakBoy

0
amccallum (4)
4/6/2005 1:11:40 PM
JE--

What an exhaustive reply -- thanks so much!!

I will use the Remove Office app, but verify using the MSKB posts that
you cite.

And i have checked the installer log (yes, I admit it exists, oops) but
it only lists the files inside the 'Microsoft Office' folder (and
subfolders) in the Applications folder.  What it critically doesn't
list is the .plist files and stuff that office rams into your System
folder, etc.  I guess its these that lead to the infuriating situation
where you buy the upgrade in the hope that it will clean up the mess
you've made of your existing setup, only to find that you've brought it
with you.

So i will trash the User Data and everything, repair preferences
diligently before and after, and hopefully end up with a clean slate.
Thank you so much for your help,

-SteakBoy

0
amccallum (4)
4/6/2005 1:20:14 PM
You do NOT *need* to trash the MS User Data file.  There is nothing in there
except files created by you (maybe), or Entourage information.  But unless
you deliberately moved them there, Office X does not keep any system files
there.  Usually that folder holds stuff you would want to back up.

And yes, they get a brickbat for hiding the Remove Office in the Value Pack
on the CD--improved in Office 2004.

Daiya

On 4/6/05 6:20 AM,  "Steak Boy" wrote:

> JE--
>
> What an exhaustive reply -- thanks so much!!
>
> I will use the Remove Office app, but verify using the MSKB posts that
> you cite.
>
> And i have checked the installer log (yes, I admit it exists, oops) but
> it only lists the files inside the 'Microsoft Office' folder (and
> subfolders) in the Applications folder.  What it critically doesn't
> list is the .plist files and stuff that office rams into your System
> folder, etc.  I guess its these that lead to the infuriating situation
> where you buy the upgrade in the hope that it will clean up the mess
> you've made of your existing setup, only to find that you've brought it
> with you.
>
> So i will trash the User Data and everything, repair preferences
> diligently before and after, and hopefully end up with a clean slate.
> Thank you so much for your help,
>
> -SteakBoy

0
daiyaNOSPAM (1173)
4/6/2005 2:07:00 PM
In article <1112793614.012654.268540@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
 "Steak Boy" <amccallum@toto-ny.com> wrote:

> What it critically doesn't list is the .plist files and stuff that
> office rams into your System folder, etc.

True, since those files are created at first run rather than
installation. OTOH, nearly every application I've ever run puts
preference files in the Preferences folder, or, since OS X, sometimes
the ~:Library:Application Support folder. Since all the preferences
files are put into the Microsoft subfolder (except the .plist files that
contain little more than windowing information), they're relatively easy
to find.

> I guess its these that lead to the infuriating situation where you
> buy the upgrade in the hope that it will clean up the mess you've
> made of your existing setup, only to find that you've brought it with
> you.

That's actually unlikely to happen since version X and version 2004 use
different preference files (you can run both versions simultaneously).
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
4/6/2005 2:40:28 PM
JE -- That's useful info.  Thank you again. Much appreciated.  I'm
beginning to feel more comfortable with this now, thanks to you and
Daiya. --SteakBoy

0
amccallum (4)

file will not save
One of my excel files will not save. it seems to work ok, but when i try to save it, i get a "document not saved" message. the file cannot be closed unless i agree not to try to save it. any ideas why i cannot save this file? #1. Are you working off a floppy? If yes, then don't do this. Use windows explorer to copy from floppy to harddrive and work from there (and save there). Then use windows explorer to copy back to floppy. #2. You're saving to a location that you don't have permission to save to. #3. Your diskdrive is out of space??? missionary wrote...

Missing File Day 3 No resolution ?
No. Is this file something that can be sent to me? -----Original Message----- From: "Diane Poremsky" <info@cdolive.com> Sent: 4/12/2004 8:15:04 PM Subject: Re: Missing file still.... did you have different versions or suites of office installed? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com "Kyle" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mess...

can't insert, delete or move pictures
can't insert, delete or move pictures Sheet protected? parker wrote: > > can't insert, delete or move pictures -- Dave Peterson ...

Mail deleting from virtual inbox
When I open windows mail it automatically downloads and it deletes it from my virtual yahoo inbox, is there a way i can get it to stop deleting it or being able to place those messages back in my inbox to retrieve anywhere? also, it doesnt allow me to send messages so i cant foward them to myself! Thanks, i appreciate ur help! Erika Hey Erika. I was having similar problem a while back. I remember in my webmail (optus) there was an option at the bottom of the list of emails (delete after download). I had to untick this box. You may have something similar, maybe in tools?? Just be aw...

Delete doesnt seem to work in SQL
Can someone possibly tell me why my delete statement in sql is not deleting anything. Table1: CurUser | Inventory John Stalls, Machine John Stalls, Pinball John Stalls, Golf Harry Simpson, Tires Harry Simpson, Boats //--------------------------------------------------------------// String FileName = System.IO.Directory.GetCurrentDirectory() + "\\test.db"; string ConnectionString = string.Format(@"Data Source={0};Version=3;New=False", FileName); SQLiteConnection conn = new SQLiteConnection(ConnectionString); conn.Open(); SQLiteCommand cmd = conn.C...

Business Office Equipment and Partnerships
Hello everyone, I m running a home business and found that there was no category to place my startup business expenses for my sole use business software like Microsoft Money and my new printer. Is there a category in which I can keep track of these expenses in which it will show up as a business asset in which I can depreciate later? Also, was wondering for tax purposes, how should I set up Money to keep track of my roommate/business partner's financial stuations? ...

I want to buy the best book of office 2003
Hi. I want to buy the best book of office 2003, what is the name of it? Marco Hi, Marco. > I want to buy the best book of office 2003, what is the name of it? "The Best Book of Office 2003." (Just kidding!) "Best" is subjective. Check out former Access MVP Jeff Conrad's lists of recommended books and find the ones for Access 2003, then go to your bookstore and look at each one to see if it's "for you" -- and your learning style. http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie/resources.html#Books Notice that these books are all Access databas...

where do office 2000 (including excel of course) service packs go
where do office 2000 (including excel of course) service packs go. I don't know why they don't give you the option of downloading and saving them before installing the various program updates and service packs. This way whenever I do a fresh reformat of my computer, i need to spend hours getting all the updates again off of the internet, where as if I could save thme, I would just have to re-install. Any help would be appreciated Don't know about Office 2000......never used it, but Office Download center offers you the choice of installing or saving to install file to disk....

ProbleM: when I restore a mailbox using Exmerge with a pst file, nothing is transferred.
Hi, I am practising Exmerge for a big remote site migration in a couple of weeks. One thing I dont understand is that I can backup one test mailbox fine using Exmerge (I know this works, as I have opened the mailbox pst file within outlook and everything is there), but when I perform the restore using the pst file, nothing happens. There is no error messages, and Emerge goes through the motions (though it finishes supsiciously quick), but when I open the mailbox, no emails have been restored. Although it is great that Exmerge is working for the backup part of the stage, I am disappointed it i...

can not delete emails
i went out of town and returned with 3000+ emails. some i can delete, some i can not. i have tried to repair and fix, i have tried to create a new profile and import/export everything. any ideas? thanks in advance. yes, the cannot move item(s). The initial error i get when trying to delete is: "the message interface has returned an unknown error. if this persists, restart outlook". The only thing i can think of is a damaged profile??? >-----Original Message----- >Do you get an error when trying to move the item to another folder (e.g. >move the item to the deleted ...

Importing ofx file
I'm using Money 2004 Premium and I was downloading my bank account information in ofx format directly in Money; recently this stopped working and I have to manually import the file into money. Not a big deal, but an annoyance just the same. Does anyone have a suggestion as to a fix for this? tia dennisd In message <QK3kl.3776$rt3.617@newsfe15.iad>, dennis <djd@home.net> writes >I'm using Money 2004 Premium and I was downloading my bank account >information in ofx format directly in Money; recently this stopped working >and I have to manually import the fi...

deleting mail on exit not working
hey guys im using outlook 2002 and I have selected empty deleted items folder upon exiting which works until i restart my computer. I have to slect this option everytime i restart my computer because the option keeps unchecking itself. Any body knows how to fix this problem thanks in advance Am 6 Sep 2005 12:04:27 -0700 schrieb jjlopez45@gmail.com: > hey guys im using outlook 2002 and I have selected empty deleted items > folder upon exiting which works until i restart my computer. I have to > slect this option everytime i restart my computer because the option > keeps uncheck...

error when opening .accdb file
I don't think this is a new issue but I can't seem to find the resolution... I get an error when opening my Access 2007 formatted database stating that the file could not be found, though at the same time the file opens successfully. -- Error is intermittent. On occasions where the error does not occur, the file opens normally (I have never had an occasion where the file did not open at all) -- I have only seen the error happen when I have a 'Display Form' set in the Application Options for the 'Current Database' -- The database contains macros, VBA m...

Using namespaces? I've some messy nested contexts that I want to clean up...
Hi, I've got the following code structure Class A { ... private: Class B { public: enum C { ENUM X } C MyVar; C MyFunc() } } So for function definitions in B I have to write A::B::C A::B::MyFunc() and for objects of B in A if(pb->MyVar==B::ENUM_X) It's all just a bit messy. Isn't it. Someone please help. Regards. ...

Searching for Frame in current header and delete it
Dear Experts: For some specific reason I inserted a frame into the current even page header. How can I delete it via VBA on the condition that the cursor resides in the page (of the main document) whose header has got this frame? Other headers, ie. odd page headers and first page header of the current section must not be deleted. Other headers in other sections may also have a frame in the header, but they must not be deleted, either. Help is much appreciated. Thank you very much in advance. Regards, Andreas Hi Andreas, The following macro will remove all frames from t...

Can I retrieve deleted email from the enlarged database
Version: v.X Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC Email Client: pop My v.X database is 950Mb with very little email. I know this is because of the deleted emails of the past and that rebuilding the database would produce a new database the right size. I would like to know if I can get to the deleted emails. Can I get them back. I have run in to an issue that I need them. <FONT FACE="Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE='font-size:12pt'>On 5/11/10 11:41 PM, in article <a href="59bb859f.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0&q...

Old emails not displayed (Multiple PC's using same inbox)
I have 2 machines running XP and Outlook 2000. Both mahcines are setup to using the same Exchange Server email account. When i open outlook in one machine all mail are visable is the inbox, and new mail is received correctly. But if i opne Outlook on the second machine my inbox is empty. Any new mails will appear quickly then disappear. I cannot get the second machine to display old emails. If I leave the first machine off, all new mail will stay in the second machines inbox, but if I open outlook on the second machine all mail disappears and is shown in the first machines inbox. A...

cannot get BCM to work on Office Enterprise 2007 and Windows 7
I have Windows 7 and Office enterprise 2007 and tried to install BCM 2007 and got it installed then opened Outlook and said it could not setup database. Is BCM 2007 compatible with Enterprise and Windows 7. Is there a work around? ...

Default Folder for PST files?
I have a slightly different question relating to the above: I already have my current & archive pst files stored in my own personal folders. When I want to open my archive folder I right-click Outlook Today & select 'Open Outlook Data File'. Everytime, Outlook defaults to its own path (Documents & Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\) This is really annoying & I would like it to default to opening a customised path, such as C:\Mail\ Any suggestions? -- Cheers, James Goodman Hi James, if you want to displace your pst file, please ...

new...delete not work in MFC ? Why ?
Hi, Check out the following code char* t=new char[1000]; t="sdfsdf"; delete t; at delete t; statement , MSVC 6.0 MFC application generates Abort: Unhandled exception Why? Help ! sandSpiderX > Hi, > > > Check out the following code > char* t=new char[1000]; > t="sdfsdf"; > delete t; > > The rule is simple, if you use "new [...] then you must use delete []" and if you use new ... then simply call delete ... In your case you need to do delete [] t; ....but that's not the end of your problems. "char * t&...

Importing Contract from .csv file is not working
Hi, I m new to CRM. I have two column in my .CSV file. name and phone number i am trying to imort them to CRM contact Module. Everything happen smooth, i mean mapping of fields. But it does not Import the Contact in to CRM , instead the task goes and sits into the Buld Import Activity. And shows the Status as "Pending". I am using CRM Client and all the services are running..... Please let me know what could be the problem.. Labhesh Shrimali Bangalore - India MCP. Hi you have to change the Log on account for the Workflow Service on the CRM Server Regards, Dirk F ...

Template for scheduleing office supply purchases
I am looking for a template for scheduling office supply purchases for a small business. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I didn't look, but there are tons of free templates at: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx And you could search google, too. Precast wrote: > > I am looking for a template for scheduling office supply purchases for a > small business. Any suggestions will be appreciated. -- Dave Peterson ...

Changing of Cell protections after saving Excel File (2002)
This problem occurs when I protect a document using a macro 4.0 function: =PROTECT.DOCUMENT(TRUE,,,TRUE,TRUE). When I use the function within a macro4.0 macro, on an original file, everything works fine. The sheet has unlocked cells, and when the sheet is protected, it allows me to access those cells. But if I save the file, or save.as another name, then the fun begins. The enable selection of the sheet( view codes) has gone from 0-xlNoRestrictions to -4142- xlNoSelection. This locks me out of doing anything in the sheet. When I unprotect and then re-protect the sheet using the T...

Word X gives no place to put name of doc
Hi, We are working on a new installation (not an upgrade) of OS X on a G4 with 512M memory. We then installed Office v.X and then copied the old OS 9.6, Word 98 documents to the drive. With Word we can open and save any existing document. The icons on some of the files are grayed out, but after we open them and save them with Word X they are fine. But when we create a new document, then go to save it, there is no place to put the name of the new file. We can browse out to any location, but there is no place to label the document with a name. This happens when using the "Save&quo...

Members deleted from distribution Group
Hello, I have a mixed mode enviroment. NT 4.0 SP6a with Exchange 5.5 and W2K SP4 with Exchange 2000. All of the mailboxes are hosted on the Exchange 2000 box but the 5.5 needs to be kept because it is the smtp gateway. When I create accounts or distribution groups I create them on the 5.5 server first. As for the distribution groups they are replicated over to the Exchange 2000 server as Universal groups. Lately one distribution group has been losing 2 members. The last 2 members that were added to the group keep disappearing from time to time with no errors. Any ideas? Thanks....