Office X 'clean' reinstall: delete all old files?

I'm about to try installing the latest bug-fix collection, sorry.
"security update" for Office X, 10.1.6. I'm hoping it might reduce the
frequency of Word's charming crashes.  Who knows, I might get lucky and
it'll even fix the completely messed up 'contact' feature in Word that
is grayed out most of the time, but when it decides to work, will only
list the 'A's' from my address book.  Just useless.

Anyway, back to the plot: since my Office X is so bent out of shape, I
figure I'll do a 'clean install' from the original disk first, then run
the updater.  So i want to unistall **completely** my existing
installation of Office X.

Problem: as we know, in Mac OS X, you're supposed to be able to
unistall apps just by trashing the app folder from your Apps folder.
But Microsoft being Microsoft, when you install Office X, it sprays
files and folders all over your hard disk, including in places where
you least expect.  Like the fage-hugger critter in 'Alien'.

So does anyone know if there's a list somewhere (I mean posted on the
Net) of where Office X puts allthe files it installs, like an installer
log?  Needless to say, if Office X created such a thing at
installation, it didn't tell me what it was called or where to find it.

Thanks All, --Angus

0
amccallum (4)

> Problem: as we know, in Mac OS X, you're supposed to be able to
> unistall apps just by trashing the app folder from your Apps folder.
> But Microsoft being Microsoft, when you install Office X, it sprays
> files and folders all over your hard disk, including in places where
> you least expect.  Like the fage-hugger critter in 'Alien'.
>
> So does anyone know if there's a list somewhere (I mean posted on the
> Net) of where Office X puts allthe files it installs, like an installer
> log?  Needless to say, if Office X created such a thing at
> installation, it didn't tell me what it was called or where to find it.

There is an MS KB article that I think lists everything--but it is easier
and a better idea to look in the Value Pack on your installation CD and run
the Office Remover.  Repair permissions before and after the re-install.
Look here for other suggested tips, under the Remove and Reinstall link,
which will also lead you to a link in case you might want to backup some
customizations.

http://word.mvps.org/MacWordNew/TroubleshootingIndex.htm
(hit refresh a few times in Safari, or use a different browser)

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

daiyaNOSPAM (1173)
4/5/2005 4:33:00 PM
In article <1112717438.932063.180810@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
 "Steak Boy" <amccallum@toto-ny.com> wrote:

> Needless to say, if Office X created such a thing at installation, it
> didn't tell me what it was called or where to find it.

Steak Boy -

I thought that there was an installer log file (if you went through the
installer) however, I've long since trashed it, if so.

In any case, instead of doing it manually, you should run the Remove
Office application, found on your install disk in the Value Pak folder.

> as we know, in Mac OS X, you're supposed to be able to unistall apps
> just by trashing the app folder from your Apps folder.

I don't know any apps which remove files from the ~:Library folder. Aqua
HIG (Human Interface Guidelines) certainly don't require that
applications do so:

>     Install files only in the locations recommended in Where to Put
>     Files. If users want to delete your application for some reason, most
>     users will simply drag its icon to the Trash; avoid littering the users
>     hard disk with remnant files. If your product uses an installer, it
>     should include an uninstall option that lets the user delete all
>     associated files

Note that Office X meets that requirement, though not in anything like a
transparent way (that's mostly fixed in Office 2004). The "Where to Put
Files" page recommends apps put files in one or more of:

    Library, Desktop, Public, Sites, Documents, Movies, Music, & Pictures

Office X puts files in the Library and Documents folders.

If you want to get rid of your User Identity, including your Entourage
accounts, you'll need to trash the

    ~:Documents:Microsoft User Data

folder as well.

> So does anyone know if there's a list somewhere (I mean posted on the
> Net) of where Office X puts allthe files it installs

Sure - check out the MSKB:

MacOFFX: Files That Are Installed with a Complete Installation of Office
v. X for Mac (Part 1)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311993

MacOFFX: Files That Are Installed with a Complete Installation of Office
v. X for Mac (Part 2)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312129
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
4/5/2005 4:49:38 PM
Hi Daiya --

So there **is** a remover -- thank you!  I don't know whether i owe MS
an apology, or another brickbat for putting a standard feature in a
"value pack" as if it is some extra bonus feature for which we should
all be extra grateful (and presumably be extra prepred to pay the price
of the software).

Enough of my moaning -- you solved my problem, thank you so much!

- SteakBoy

0
amccallum (4)
4/6/2005 1:11:40 PM
JE--

What an exhaustive reply -- thanks so much!!

I will use the Remove Office app, but verify using the MSKB posts that
you cite.

And i have checked the installer log (yes, I admit it exists, oops) but
it only lists the files inside the 'Microsoft Office' folder (and
subfolders) in the Applications folder.  What it critically doesn't
list is the .plist files and stuff that office rams into your System
folder, etc.  I guess its these that lead to the infuriating situation
where you buy the upgrade in the hope that it will clean up the mess
you've made of your existing setup, only to find that you've brought it
with you.

So i will trash the User Data and everything, repair preferences
diligently before and after, and hopefully end up with a clean slate.
Thank you so much for your help,

-SteakBoy

0
amccallum (4)
4/6/2005 1:20:14 PM
You do NOT *need* to trash the MS User Data file.  There is nothing in there
except files created by you (maybe), or Entourage information.  But unless
you deliberately moved them there, Office X does not keep any system files
there.  Usually that folder holds stuff you would want to back up.

And yes, they get a brickbat for hiding the Remove Office in the Value Pack
on the CD--improved in Office 2004.

Daiya

On 4/6/05 6:20 AM,  "Steak Boy" wrote:

> JE--
>
> What an exhaustive reply -- thanks so much!!
>
> I will use the Remove Office app, but verify using the MSKB posts that
> you cite.
>
> And i have checked the installer log (yes, I admit it exists, oops) but
> it only lists the files inside the 'Microsoft Office' folder (and
> subfolders) in the Applications folder.  What it critically doesn't
> list is the .plist files and stuff that office rams into your System
> folder, etc.  I guess its these that lead to the infuriating situation
> where you buy the upgrade in the hope that it will clean up the mess
> you've made of your existing setup, only to find that you've brought it
> with you.
>
> So i will trash the User Data and everything, repair preferences
> diligently before and after, and hopefully end up with a clean slate.
> Thank you so much for your help,
>
> -SteakBoy

0
daiyaNOSPAM (1173)
4/6/2005 2:07:00 PM
In article <1112793614.012654.268540@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
 "Steak Boy" <amccallum@toto-ny.com> wrote:

> What it critically doesn't list is the .plist files and stuff that
> office rams into your System folder, etc.

True, since those files are created at first run rather than
installation. OTOH, nearly every application I've ever run puts
preference files in the Preferences folder, or, since OS X, sometimes
the ~:Library:Application Support folder. Since all the preferences
files are put into the Microsoft subfolder (except the .plist files that
contain little more than windowing information), they're relatively easy
to find.

> I guess its these that lead to the infuriating situation where you
> buy the upgrade in the hope that it will clean up the mess you've
> made of your existing setup, only to find that you've brought it with
> you.

That's actually unlikely to happen since version X and version 2004 use
different preference files (you can run both versions simultaneously).
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
4/6/2005 2:40:28 PM
JE -- That's useful info.  Thank you again. Much appreciated.  I'm
beginning to feel more comfortable with this now, thanks to you and
Daiya. --SteakBoy

0
amccallum (4)

Macro to delete an entire row with cells missing a specific chartacter #2
Hey Harald, This is the script I am using to remove "IS" Sub Findanddelete_IS() Dim rng As Range Dim what As String what = "IS" Do Set rng = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Find(what) If rng Is Nothing Then Exit Do Else Rows(rng.Row).Delete End If Loop End Sub So...my programming experience is a tiny bit limited, not sure how t delete anything missing the IS as opposed to containing the IS. understand in theory but my knowledge of syntax is the limiter. Harald Staff Wrote: > Hi Asf > > This is far more useful if you figure it out yourself, since you'r > pr...

Old Users in a single mailbox
Hi all, I have had a request to forward all emails directed to old employees to a single central folder that could be administered easily.. i am thinking this is possible with exchange, but dont know how to achieve it. I imagine i should have to create a new mailbox that admins can add to their Outlook folder list, and then somehow make a list of all incoming email to the server to certian addresses to be forwarded here.. any ideas guys? thanks! Add all the email aliases to a single mailbox. Not very elegant but it should work. Nue "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.c...

Writing the DBF file
Hello, All! I have a trouble with writing a database to a file. Here's my code: // Write the file structure SDBFHeader dbfHdr; dbfHdr.nVersion = 0x03; strcpy(dbfHdr.cLastUpdate, _T("3A6")); dbfHdr.nNumOfRecs = m_ctrlList.GetItemCount(); dbfHdr.nNumOfBytesInHdr = 32 + (3 * 32) + 1; dbfHdr.nNumOfBytesInRec = m_nFieldsLength[0] + m_nFieldsLength[1] + m_nFieldsLength[2] + 1; dbfHdr.nReserved1 = 0x00; dbfHdr.nIncmpltTrans = 0x00; dbfHdr.nEncrypt = 0x00; strcpy(dbfHdr.cMultiUser, _T("")); dbfHdr.nIndex = 0x00; dbfHdr.nLangID = 0x00; dbfHdr.nReserve...

Excel missing file
I am a registered user of Office XP Pro. Excel will not start. It is missing a file. In the process of moving, disks in storage. Where can I go online to download the missing file? And, how? ...

Hotsyncing Entourage X with Palm Tungsten E
Does anyone know whether it's possible to hotsync Entourage X for Mac OS X.2 with the Palm Tungsten E, which runs Palm Desktop software OS 4.1? I'm currently using an older Palm handheld, which hotsyncs fine with Entourage X. The Microsoft website description of the MS Handheld Synchronization Software says that it works only with 4.0. I'm not sure whether Microsoft considers 4.1 the same version or an entirely different one. (Since all new Palms run either OS 4.1 or 5.0, I'm hoping that I'm OK.) Thanks! I'm eager to buy the Tungsten E to replace my old Palm, but I...

Time Clock integration with Office Accounting
Does anyone have a solution that can bring time clock information from POS into timesheet entries in OA? Do you mean POS or RMS. I have a solution that imports timeclock hours/receipts and sales from RMS Headquarters to Office Accounting. Mark Colbert mark_a_colbert@msn.com "Steve Jensen" wrote: > Does anyone have a solution that can bring time clock information from POS > into timesheet entries in OA? ...

Retrieving deleted e-mails
Hello, A former employee deleted their e-mails before they left. Is there any way to retrieve these e-mails? Thanks for your time! Debbie In the future just a suggestion put all users PST files on the network drive and back them up nightly. The only thing to do is look in the deleted folder if its not there it is likely gone. If its really important you can try your system admin that runs the email server to see if they have anything cached. >-----Original Message----- >Hello, > >A former employee deleted their e-mails before they >left. Is there any way to retrieve...

sqlcmd and Error(s) to a file
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms162773.aspx sqlcmd File Names sqlcmd input files can be specified with the -i option or the :r command. Output files can be specified with the -o option or the :Error, :Out and :Perftrace commands. =========above lines are from the URL listed above============= Ok. If I set this command, I get the desired behavior: :Error "./myerrors.txt" (The desired behavior being, if no errors occur, then that file is created, however, it is empty, which is a great indicator for "nothing bad happened") ================= ...

Error after Outlook reinstall
This would pop up. Error - Could not obtain Microsoft Outlook version Also, I can't install the microsoft updates to outlook because it says because it doesn't know it's version. -- Kate So what version of Outlook did you re-install -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "SFKate" <SFKate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1F6F470A-D977-42CE-A342-909DAA07FE2A@microsoft.com... > This would pop up. Error - Could not obtain Microsoft Out...

Deleting transactions #2
Help! We had problems with one of our registers and we had to replace the PC that we were using and and when we finally got all ready to operate we lost everything that we had rung in (which we re-entered later) but now when we run a detailed sales report for that day it shows all of the sales that we cannot see in the journal but they show on the report, I want to delete them but there is not a batch for those transactions only the transaction # and I do not want to delete all of the transactions just the ones that are incorrect for that day. I hope someone can help Thanks! You can v...

Active X Controls Shrinking on Excel worksheet
I have a workbook and sometimes the ActiveX controls such as listbox, options, checkboxes on the worksheet shrinks or expands while clicking on the controls. Does somebody has experirenced same kind of problem or somebody knows the fix. The only to fix this problem is to restart the machine again. Thanks in advance. ...

Deleted Accounts still generating Failed Delivery Reports
Here is a strange one for you: I send an email to systems@abc.com and it gets there and thats it. I send a calender invitation to the same mailbox and it gets there. But then I get a failed delivery report for former employees who used to use belong to a Distribution list with the same name. I used to belong to that distribution list and I do not recieve the inivitation. I am not really sure if the failed delivery report is because of the Distribution list or because the old users used to use the mailbox. This happens from any machine using Outlook. Needless to say those users are long gon...

Excel 2002: Can I save all files by just one click ?
Hi, I have 10 working files in an active window. There is no Save All button under the file menu. May I know if I can save all the files at one click without having to exit excel ? Thanks Low This delivers it in 2 clicks ... Hold down Shift key, click File > Close All Then click "Yes to All" in the ensuing prompt to save changes Success? Celebrate it, hit the YES below -- Max Singapore --- "Mr. Low" wrote: > I have 10 working files in an active window. > There is no Save All button under the file menu. > May I know if I c...

Refreshing a Microsoft Office Excel Chart Object
Can a Microsoft Office Excel Chart Object be refreshed by linking it to an excel spreadsheet? The "chart object" is being copied from the originating excel spreadsheet, using the special past function to make an Excel Chart Object in a Word doc. DonC, Use Paste Special, pasting it as an Excel Chart Object in the Word document. Use the Paste Link button. Now it's linked to the cells of the original worksheet. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com ----------------------------------------------------------------------- "DonC" <don.cook@farmersinsurance.com> w...

Big Problem! How to overload operator delete?
Big Problem! How to overload operator delete? According to C++ standard, "A deallocation function can have more than one parameter."(see 3.7.3.2); however, I don't know how to use an overloaded delete operator. Let me use an example to illustrate this: /********************************************************/ #include <new> #include <iostream> using namespace std; void operator delete(void* p, const nothrow_t&) { cout << "Hello" << endl; } // (1) void operator delete(void* p, int a, int b) { cout << "World" <&...

Modern.ttf font file requested
Hi, I have bought a Dell computer almost 2 years ago and it already had the modern.ttf font file installed (no, I am not talking about the modern.fon file). I have first reinstalled Windows XP without any problems. When I have installed Windows XP for the second time and thereafter, the modern.ttf file was not installed or it was missing from the Windows XP installation disk. I have looked all over the internet for a possible download link, but have not had any luck. Is there a way that someone would send me the modern.ttf file or tell me of a place to download the file or exactly what sof...

Error with the Deployment Manager- access to the file \CRM\_xslfiles\1_Create.xsl refused
Dear all, Dear all, Configuration: CRM 1.2 on a SBS2003 with the rollup 1.2 I 'm unable to deploy my customization . Indeed, as usual i created some new customization fields through the deployment manager and i added them to the account form. No problem with this. But when i launched the Deployment Manager for publishing it failed after a while and it seems there is a problem to access to the following ..xsl file: ...\CRM\_xslfiles\1_Create.xsl. Before i didn't have this problem. Strange? In the event log i have the message: "Erreur ProcessImportWorkItem : Access to the file &...

Out of office reply
I am trying to make an out of office reply. I know how to create the rule, however I do not have any templates. When I tried to make a template I do not have the option to save as.... a template. I have tried to manually save it in the correct folder, however it does not allow me to get to that folder via save as... I have Outlook 2007 Thank you for any help or suggestions! ...

merging files #2
Hi My wife has a number of separate publisher files that she needs to combine into a single file. There doesn't seem to be an obvious way to do this.. I have looked at the "insert" menu and it looks like you can insert a blank page but not an existing fileā€¦ How do I combine multiple publisher files into one document? Thanks Michael mlsred <mlsred@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > How do I combine multiple publisher files into one document? Copy and Paste. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 15:20:03 +0000,...

Best way to delete duplcate records in a table.
I have a table that has duplicate records in it. I ran a duplicate query that returned all duplicates. What is the best way to delete the duplicates since you apprantly can not do so while in the query? Any responses are greatly appreciated. Ghost, Without any specific information about your table/fields, that would be hard to say. Give us a bit of info about the relevant fields in your table, and... how you would determine that a record is a duplicate or not. Then we might be able to find some logic (if possible) to assist in their removal. As a very general rule though, d...

Backing Up Outlook Files #2
Hi I would like to know how I could back up my Outlook files and folders, so that I can trnsfer them to another computer. Please assist!!! http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm is a good place to read about this. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. "Muhammad Yusuf" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:045601c3b457$0a972d60$a101280a@phx.gbl... | Hi I would like to know how I could back up my Outlook | files and folders, so that I can trnsfer them to another | computer. | | Please assi...

Hot Link
Hi I am trying to remove screentips associated with a hyperlink in some cells. I have tried editing in the hyperlink dialog box but nothing seems toremove the screentip. So far, my clumsy workaround is to copy the cell to create a duplicate, apply the command "clear all" to the cell, then copy back the duplicate I made using paste-special formulas, paste formats. There must be something better than this... Any helpgratefully received Tim ...

Outlook duplicating read/deleted e-mails
My outlook is dulicating every e-mail since last Monday over and over again. What is going on? Any ideas? What version of Outlook do you have? What sort of mail account(s)? -- Jeff Stephenson Outlook Development This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights "craig" <craig@salesreality.com> wrote in message news:a04201c35c43$2035b220$a001280a@phx.gbl... > My outlook is dulicating every e-mail since last Monday > over and over again. What is going on? > > Any ideas? ...

Can't open Excel files
I've never had this problem until now. When I try to open either the Excel application or an excel file on my desktop, a window pops up trying to install Windows XP Professional w/Front Page and the application nor the files will open. I have XP home edition. I can open PPt and Word documents just fine. What's going on?? Thanks, Patsy ...

Cannot freezr/delete messages
In Exchange 2003, I have several messages in queue that I cannot freeze or undelete. These options are greyed out. Properties shows no Message ID, no Sender, and the expire date is now over a month old. However, in the queue display screen (Queues), they show with a recipient. Does anyone know how to clear out these "hung" nessages? <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >In Exchange 2003, I have several messages in queue that I >cannot freeze or undelete. These options are greyed out. >Properties shows no Message ID, no Sender, and the expire >date ...