Office upgrade -- 2004-2008

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Intel

I'm thinking about purchasing the Mac Office upgrade (2008) for my father's upcoming birthday. He and my mother presently use Office 2004 on their iMac.

The question I have is in relation to the changes made to Office 2008. Does anyone know if they are similar to the massive changes made to Microsoft Office on the Windows side (with the release of Office 2007)?

Meaning, my parents are a little bit older and a little bit more set in their ways. I'm not sure they want to be forced to learn new ribbons, new buttons, etc., in association with a brand-new version of Office.

Again, just wondering how different Office 2008 is from 2004, especially to someone who may not be all that excited about having to learn a bunch of new features.

Thanks in advance!

Based on what you describe the situation to be I'd recommend that you pass
on the Office 2008 package & wait until the next release. Although 2008 has
not undergone the radical UI revamping which Office 2007 did there are some
differences that take a little getting used to. If they're comfortable with
2004 & it meets their needs there really isn't any compelling reason to
upgrade at this time. If there are features of 2008 that might be appealing
that's a different story - have a look at the Mactopia site to find out more
about what 2008 has to offer.

I would, however, suggest that they keep 2004 updated & install the
converters which enable 2004 to read/write in the new OXML file format
native to 2007 & 2008 - they're available here if you need them:

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/thankyou.aspx?familyId=6b9238e1-cf69-48c
4-bf2d-c4a8aceee520&displayLang=en>

Office:Mac 2004 will continue to be supported for quite a while yet.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 2/27/09 7:04 PM, in article 59b6e1d5.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"highland99@officeformac.com" <highland99@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2004
> Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
> Processor: Intel
>
> I'm thinking about purchasing the Mac Office upgrade (2008) for my father's
> upcoming birthday. He and my mother presently use Office 2004 on their iMac.
>
> The question I have is in relation to the changes made to Office 2008. Does
> anyone know if they are similar to the massive changes made to Microsoft
> Office on the Windows side (with the release of Office 2007)?
>
> Meaning, my parents are a little bit older and a little bit more set in their
> ways. I'm not sure they want to be forced to learn new ribbons, new buttons,
> etc., in association with a brand-new version of Office.
>
> Again, just wondering how different Office 2008 is from 2004, especially to
> someone who may not be all that excited about having to learn a bunch of new
> features.
>
> Thanks in advance!

Thanks Bob for the info!

how do i create an office data connection file
i want to call a parameterized data connection. i want to eventually put this in office sharepoint server 2007's data connection library. every time i open the connection file i have successfully created that connects to the db, it want me to pick a table. i can cancel out of that and change it to sql and say to use a procedure, but i can't save this file, and the "Edit Query..." and "Parameters..." buttons are disabled so i can't set parameters. why is it so hard to work with this thing? thanks ...

Reinstalling MS Office Small Buisness Edition, 2003
When reinstalling MS Office 2003 from the orginal CD, it states a PA561401.CAB file is missing. How can I retrieve this file if it's not on the installtion disk? Dave Is your CD an OEM version or a full MS version. If the product key contains the letters OEM then post back -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:224E1F6F-7FF7-44F0-8973-A4974CB9AC0D@microsoft.com... > When reinstalling MS Offic...

Upgrading to 9.0 on Windows Server 2003 64bit Edition
We are upgrading from 7.0 to 9.0. We have new SQL Servers on which we will perform the upgrade and move into production once complete replacing our existing servers. These SQL Servers are running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 Edition. When attempting to install either GP v7.0 or v7.5 the error message "The image file ...\CDSetup.exe is valid, but is for a machine type other than the current machine." is presented and the installation script will not initialize. Is it possible to install GP 7.0 or 7.5 on the 64bit version of Windows Server 2003 or must we install the 32 bit v...

Office:mac 2004 installation problem
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone out there can help me... Way back in March I bought a new MacBook, and with it a copy of Office:mac 2004 student & teacher edition. I installed my copy of Office straight away, but didn't realise I needed to uninstall the Trial edition first. Every time I opened anything in Office, both the REAL and TRIAL editions started up - which is obviously quite annoying - so I tried to uninstall the trial. However, the REAL Office then stopped working. Getting a bit fed up, I tried to completely remove all traces of Office and start again. However, when I tr...

I have Korean Office...I need English (US) Office
LIPs don't seem to provide me with a solution...apparently there is no English LIP!?!?!?!?!? Seriously? That's crazy! LIP = Language Instruction Pack?? Why NO English? Where is Windows / Office developed? America, right? I'm in Korea. I bought a Korean computer. It came with Korean Windows. I need English menus and whatnot on my MS Office applications. In news:7430603D-8534-4235-A16D-D073B471EF85@microsoft.com, abundantmind <abundantmind@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > LIPs don't seem to provide me with a solution...apparently > there is...

Office 2004 Project Gallery
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3184399017_17854679 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit In the main screen of the Office 2004 Project Gallery, there are icons for things like �Mail Message� and �Calendar Event�. How can I add, for example, �Address Book Entry� or �Task� to the Project Gallery? --B_3184399017_17854679 Content-type: text/html; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable <HTML...

Running Office 2004 with network homes on 10.4
Hi. Im really at the end of my tether with office now, for well over a year it seems as though no matter what I do office just behaves like a spoilt brat. Were talking 10-20 minute load times just to load an office app. It will sit there and first it say configuring microsoft office components. then through a host of other things until eventually as i said about 20 minutes later it will actually open. I've seen things about fonts before, but i can tell its not just (if at all) this. I have a reasonably fast network, so i cant see how it is network issues. All clients have networ...

Scheduling Hyper-V Snapshots 2008 R2
Hello, In 2008 R2 is there a way to schedule snapshots in the GUI without having to write a script? I figure it must be there but for some reason I'm not seeing it. Hi Boe, sorry but this is not directly possible via Hyper-V GUI. You need to use powershell here. The command-lets for powershell can be downloaded at codeplex -> Hyper-V PS Library -> http://pshyperv.codeplex.com/Wikipage These commands are snapshot relevant : Get-VMSnapshot - Returns SnapShots for one or more VM(s) Get-VMSnapshotTree - Displays all the Snapshots of a VM in a tree view Selec...

Upgrade From Money 2004 to 2005
I was running Money 2004 Deluxe with no problems and then converted to Money 2005. When I click on the Portfolio Manager icon, the screen that appears only has today's date, "Portfolio Manager", and "Quotes delayed at least 20 minutes" below the dark blue line that starts with "investing Home". Nothing else is on the page below the blue line...no investments, and no menu on the left. I could sure use some help on this one.... ...

Time Stamp in office
Hi All; Does anyone know of a way (keystroke, etc...) to put a time stamp into a Entourage document? On 5/11/04 6:00 PM, in article BCC6EF5F.291%thomasjones@adelphia.net, "Thomas Jones" <thomasjones@adelphia.net> wrote: > > Does anyone know of a way (keystroke, etc...) to put a time stamp into a > Entourage document? Get "Date Stamp X" script at MacScripter.net <http://macscripter.net/scriptbuilders/> It gives you about 20 different date-time formats to choose from. By default you do it with cmd-ctrl-D but you can change the key combo if yo...

Entourage 2008 lost 11 days of information
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop My setup has the folder &quot;Office 2008 Identities&quot; on an external HD and an alias pointing to that location (without the &quot;alias&quot; extension) in &quot;Microsoft User Data&quot;. This allows me to use the same Entourage data on two different Mac's at two locations. I also automatically clone the real Identities folder 5 times a day to a different external HD using SuperDuper. The SuperDuper schedule shows the actions were all successful when they were s...

2004 Deluxe vs Premium
It looks like the only difference is Premium includes a 1 year subscription to GainsKeeper. You can subscribe to Gainskeeper on your own with Deluxe. In microsoft.public.money, moneyman wrote: >Actually - it is 8 additional items. And I think they are all related >to the GainsKeeper online service. > >Premium also gives 2 years of Bill Pay instead of 1 with Deluxe. > >Also - Money Deluxe includes 1 year free subscription to Money >Magazine. (Most likely Premium includes that as well, but I am not >sure.) > > Plus TaxCut for 2003 taxes. That is a biggie IM...

office 2008 beta
I wish to uninstall an expired beta version, but the program closes after displays the message that the office is expired. How can I do it? Thanks. In article <d027e598-7a78-435c-84eb-e0bce0d7ec2d@d61g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>, "jonathan.vivenzio@gmail.com" <jonathan.vivenzio@gmail.com> wrote: > I wish to uninstall an expired beta version, but the program closes > after displays the message that the office is expired. How can I do > it? If the Remove Office application doesn't work, I'd start with deleting the Office 2008 folder, and the preferences...

Money 2008 #4
Is Money 2008 usable in the UK, and how can I obtain it? Yes it is usable but it cannot read a previous UK Money file. Also if you do go down the USA version route and MS decide to produce a UK version in the future then you would not be able to upgrade. Note that it is lined up with the US fiscal rules on capital depreciation/gains tax and various other annoyances - chief of which is the inability to spell cheque! The only way you can get M2008 USA is to download it from the MS site. Note you cannot have a CD version and you need to quote a USA address - 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Was...

SBS 2008 Reboot
I have a client who needed to reboot their server this AM (we couldn't log onto RWW, when this happens, they reboot. It happens once every couple of months.) Upon rebooting, they called and are telling me they are getting a windows titled "Windows Complete PC Restore". Why would this come up on a normal reboot? Did they have a failure of some sort? Can we get by this screen to get the server back online? I thought I would try here first, as I cannot get to the site until later this afternoon. Thank you in advance. -- Ron Anthony Quinn Is the SBS2008 DVD ...

It is safe to upgrade now?
Hi. I am using right now RMS 1.2. During months I was following this community and the RMS download to see the problems that users was facing with Rms 2.0 Suddenly I am seeing that since may Microsoft didn't upgrade their hotfix. So I am assuming that the worst just passed. Am I right? Is safe to go now to RMS 2.0? I would like to hear some opinions of you guys. Thks in advance. ...

Upgrade from Money98 to Money 2004 fail to update the old accountfile
When upgrading from Money98 to Money2004 I Money2004 fails to update all data from Mone98. It says incompatible file version. Any idea how I get my data from Money98 converted to Money2004 ? The FAQ to beat all FAQs. See http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q1. "Per" <toppeja@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:05d301c3b39c$25befed0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > When upgrading from Money98 to Money2004 I Money2004 > fails to update all data from Mone98. It says > incompatible file version. Any idea how I get my data > from Money98 converted to Money2004 ? ...

[WP]
We are running Office 2002 company wide with Exchange 2003 Sp2. Is it possible that I can only upgrade my OL2002 to OL2007? Assist Please. Thank you. WILDPACKET <WILDPACKET@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > We are running Office 2002 company wide with Exchange 2003 Sp2. > > Is it possible that I can only upgrade my OL2002 to OL2007? Sure, but you'll lose most of the integration of Outlook with the other Office products. No more mail merge, for example. -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] ...

Money 2004 ending balance
This is strange. The ending balance for my checking account in (MS-Money 2004 deluxe) on the home page is different than the ending balance in the register. There's a difference of $15.66. Has anyone ever seen this before? Jonathan It's been reported here occasionally. File|Repair... seems to solve it for most people. "Jonathan" <KingsKnight1@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OfF9oq3kHHA.4848@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > This is strange. The ending balance for my checking account in (MS-Money > 2004 deluxe) on the home page is different than the...

Upgrade GP Macros From 7.5 to 8
Hi can some one tell me what are the changes i have to do in a macro created in GP 7.5 so it will work with GP 8.0 as they are not working of course now. what are the commands i have to change? Hi Version 8 Menu options are different to version 7.5. It might be best to recreate the macro. What is the macro for? -- Regards James[MVP] Visit MBS Blog Central http://mbscentral.blogs.com "Nader Yousef" <NaderYousef@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7A20485C-59E7-4659-88AA-2DFDBF0077AA@microsoft.com... > Hi > > can some one tell me what are the ...

ughh.... Office 2004 sp2 (11.2) update error
Let me start this out by saying I'm a PC engineer, I do not do Macs, but my wife had a G4 and we just upgraded it. I know I'm not the only one getting this error as I've seen it listed about a dozen times, but the only people that I see with a solution have external hard drives. I've loaded Office 2004 with SP2 Version 11.2 (050714). I've tried auto update as well as downloading. and I keep getting the #$%#@ error "The installer could not locate the correct version of the software required to install this update. See the Read Me file included with this install to det...

Can't Open a Power Point Pres. in Office for Mac (2004 Student and Teacher Edition)
Hello, I'm having a problem opening a Power Point presentation in Office for Mac 2004 Student and Teacher Edition. My prof. posts all of the P.P. slides from his lectures on-line from a PC and I can't open them. I don't know what version HE has, so I don't know if anyone can help. I've tried e-mailing him and have no response so far. I assume the problem is that he's using an older version of P.P? Anyway, any help would be appreciated, because I really need the info from the slides. The test is tomorrow! The error message I'm getting says: Powerpoint can not open ...

Combo Box changes after Microsoft Upgrade.
I have WindowsXP and Access2003. I have a Combo Box on a form used for finding a particular record. After downloading and installing the Office2003 upgrade (Office 2003 Service Pack 3 (SP3)), one of the columns (a text) Combo Box is blank. This remains blank even if I create a new Combo Box. Also, going back to a application backup I made in January2007, this column has become blank too. The Office 2003 Service Pack 3 (SP3) is the only event which has occurred. Please help, Frank And, you've hit the nail on the head. It is SP3 which is causing this issue. From what I u...

Active Out of Office Assistant
Is there any way to query the Exchange 2003 about who has "out of office" activated on their mailbox? Here is a script that can pull all server side rules. http://gsexdev.blogspot.com/2004_06_01_gsexdev_archive.html James Chong MCSE | M+, S+, MCTS, Security+ msexchangetips.blogspot.com Ron e. wrote: > Is there any way to query the Exchange 2003 about who has "out of office" > activated on their mailbox? On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 11:33:06 -0700, Ron e. <Rone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there any way to query the Exchange 2003 about who has "ou...

Out of Office Assistant #59
Hi Using Outlook 2003 but I can't get the above to work or the rules wizard as I thought this might be away around the problem. Any ideas would be great Thanks Shona SS <Student.13@uk.bosch.com> wrote: > Using Outlook 2003 but I can't get the above to work or the rules > wizard as I thought this might be away around the problem. If you're not using Exchange for your mailbox, the OOA isn't available. See the following: http://www.slipstick.com/rules/autoreply.htm -- Brian Tillman ...