Office Mac #2

Does anyone think microsoft will put a database application like Access in
office mac?
0
Glenn6116 (66)

In article <E6E68FF4-3832-4404-9914-0AD0B345A39B@microsoft.com>, Glenn
<Glenn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Does anyone think microsoft will put a database application like Access in
> office mac?

It's a shame when cousins marry.
0
rag (68)
11/6/2007 10:48:05 PM
Hi Glen:

No.

Where is the business case for it?

1)  There are any number of perfectly good "database" applications for the
Mac.  We don't need another.

Excel is available, and makes a very good flat-file database.  MySQL works
really well if you need SQL.

2)  Access is not *really* a "database".  Even though it is used for
quick-and-cheap databases (most corporations would be horrified to discover
just how many Access databases they have!) that's not its main purpose.

Its main purpose is to create really nice form-based applications in a
Windows/.NET world.  Often, those applications are then migrated to SQL
Server for production use.  SQL Server is a production-ready,
high-performance relational database.

The code built in Access forms the User Interface for the application.

Access doesn't build code that can be used on a Mac.  There are applications
that do: such as Filemaker Pro.

So:  No, I can't see a way for Microsoft to make money out of it, so I can't
see anyone in Microsoft going to the Board of Directors with a request for
the money to build it :-)

Cheers

On 7/11/07 9:43 AM, in article
E6E68FF4-3832-4404-9914-0AD0B345A39B@microsoft.com, "Glenn"
<Glenn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

Does anyone think microsoft will put a database application like Access in
office mac?

John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
http://jgmcghie.fastmail.com.au/
Sydney, Australia.  S33�53'34.20 E151�14'54.50
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
john7143 (1072)
11/7/2007 12:19:11 AM
Hi Glenn,

Office 2004 already is a relational database. Read this:
http://www.agentjim.com/MVP/Excel/RelationalOffice.htm

It's like Access in that it supports SQL and is a fully relational databse.

It is not Access, however.

-Jim

Quoting from "Glenn" <Glenn@discussions.microsoft.com>, in article
E6E68FF4-3832-4404-9914-0AD0B345A39B@microsoft.com, on [DATE:

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

MVPs are not Microsoft Employees
MVP info http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

0
goldkey74 (611)

save as pipe delimited #2
hi, just an appendage: i found another link, which provides a file by Earl which does this. http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?t=265998&highlight=pipe+delimited i am not able to figure out where to input the filename for the data t be picked up from. any information regarding this would be helpful. thanks, mac -- icestationzbr ----------------------------------------------------------------------- icestationzbra's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=458 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26877 ...

5.2.1 NDR
I have an issue with users unable to send messages to mail-enabled public folders in the same organization. Email can be sent to the public folder from outside. I found this is a pretty common issue but nothing helped resolve my issue. It appears to be fixed in SP2 however I am still having problems. I looked at the KB articles listed below and verified the Anonymous user has the appropriate rights. I see there was a hotfix in Exchange 2003 RTM and SP1. I also looked at all the AD permissions and the Exchange Enterprise Server group has permissions that was mentioned in various...

Office Accounting Professional 2009
Hello everyone, In looking over our Technet applications, I was wanting to test out Office Accounting Professional 2009 due to limitations we have found in our normal accounting product Simply Accounting. When installing the product, everything goes fine, but we are unable to setup a Canadian company. Is there a version that will allow us to do this? I noticed there are two versions, one being the English - United States version, and one English-United Kingdom. Will the latter one work for Canadian customers? Any help would be very appreciated, Peter Skinner Edmonton ...

Deployment Office 2003
In my organization we are going to deploy Office2003 Pro with SMS, I am using an MST file, I have some Questions:: 1. How can I config in outlook 2003 the field: SIZE in the inbox/sent items to all of my users in the deployment, Is it with OPS file and how can I do it...??? 2. In the Installation proccess : How can I make the OUTLOOK ICON appear in the desktop, not in a mode of shoutcut but in amode that I can change profile's user from it...??? 3. In the Installation Mode: How can make the CANCEL button to disapear..??? Thax OR 1) You would have to provide a script to ...

Office 2003 Opening a new Excel Doc.
I just updated to Office 2003 and everytime I open up a new workbook a blank workbook name PERSONAL opens as well. How do I change that from happeneing?? Thanx, Jesse Hi Jesse Window>Hide and save the personal.xls When you record a macro you have the option to save the macro in this hidden workbook so you can use the macro in all your workbooks. You can find the file in your Xlstart folder -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Jesse" <Jesse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:65505D55-31EB-4BAA-A32D-B052F70E03AD@microsoft.com... >I just...

importing statements #2
I'm getting an error when trying to import my bank statement. It reads "A transaction in the QIF file has a date that could not be resolved and therefore was not recorded into your Money file. Check your Regional Settings in the Windows Control Panel to make sure they match the date format of the QIF file, and then try importing the file again." Please help! Thanks ...

Merging excel office data into a publisher office project(Australi
Having problems when I get to the point in the merge wizard "catalog merge template", with the DOB format to be entered into the membership card that I have made in Publisher. It reverts back to American date format. Could the problem be in the edit record section? All seems to be okay till then. I have checked the regional settings etc., all okay. When I have finished template of merge & highlighted the DOB field gone to language on tool bar and set language it still doesn't work then preview, it has reverted to American. ...

how can i graph with log-log scales? #2
I wish to graph pricing curves using a logarithmic x-axis. Is this possible with Excel? If so, how do I do it? AirdromeTom - > I wish to graph pricing curves using a logarithmic x-axis. Is this > possible with Excel? If so, how do I do it? < Use an XY (Scatter) chart type. - Mike www.mikemiddleton.com ...

sorting by date #2
I am having trouble sorting a table by date. When I choose to sort th column by date - it sorts it alphabetically by date - i.e. with Augus coming first. How can I have Excel sort chronologically, when the date include month, day, yea -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com It sounds as if the dates are formatted as text. You can change this to an Excel date value by inserting a helper column and using the following formula (assuming your dates are in column A: =DATEVALUE(A1) and copying down. Excel will then recognize the values as date values, not text, and will sort chronol...

Can we Take layaway payments from store #2
Hello, I have a customer that would like to make a payment on his layaway at out other location. Can this be done? and how? -- Reynold Cycle This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_04C2_01C70A46.94719A50 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Jose, Not without an add-on, which I've never seen to do this. --=20 Jeff=20 Check Point Software =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=...

How get rid of Office Discussion Groups on far left of screen
When I come to this discussion group there is a grey area on the left of my screen that lists the Office Discussion Groups. I would guess there is a way to close this or get it off screen but if there is, I can't find it. It is taking up a significant amout of screen realty. Woody wrote: >When I come to this discussion group there is a grey area on the left of my >screen that lists the Office Discussion Groups. > >I would guess there is a way to close this or get it off screen but if there >is, I can't find it. It is taking up a significant amout of screen...

Business Portal Install Error #2
I am installing BP 3 on a GP 9 server which is running Win2k3. SQL 2K is on same server with an instance name (Not a Default server). When I try to install BP I receive a error. Declaring Type : Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.PCITeam.Install.BP.Packager.Packager. Target Site : LoadPackagerComponents Error Summary : Failed Loading Packager Data Element (PD_GP_COMMON) for Install Feature (BusinessPortal). and it was hanged with the following message Please wait while the setup wizard installs Microsoft Dynamics GP Business Portal. This may take several minutes. Status Loading data 1 of 21 T...

can't save files in subfolders using Word #2
I'm running Word on a Mac running OS X. When I go to save a file in Word, it only gives me the option to save in the root files like "Documents" or "Applications." How do I save the file into a subfolder? On a PC, I would double click to open the folders until I got to the folder I needed. That doesn't work here. Can someone help? I'm sure this is something obvious I'm missing. Thanks - Taylor In article <1163740041.258317.226140@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, taylorgriffin@gmail.com wrote: > I'm sure this is something obvious I'...

Office v.X for Mac Compatibility Issues with Office 2007

toolbar macros #2
I've gone through the routine to assign a macro to a toolbar button, even down to getting the option to select the macro, but it isn't permanent. When I click on the button afterwards,I get the same dialog to assign the macro. However, I can permanently assign the same macro to a graphic in the sheet. Second quandary - Can I assign that same macro to a cell which has only text? ...

Conditional Formatting in Excel 2007 #2
Hi guys, I have been asked to prepare a spreadsheet that uses conditional formatting on another cell. What it needs to do is that is a cell contains a particular value i.e. between 2 and 6 the adjacent cell will turn say blue, but the issue is that there is up to 6 different rules that could be applied to that one cell. All of these rules then need to work for the subsequent entries. If anyone could help me with this issue I would be very grateful. Many Thanks Didi On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 03:10:07 -0700 (PDT), didi <diane.bush@hotmail.co.uk> wrote: >Hi guys, > >I have been a...

Excel 2002 error message #2
i am getting the following message in Excel 2002 "an outgoing call cannot be made since the application is dispatching an input-sychronous call". this appears when copying some cells in the spreadsheet. Any ideas? ...

How do I compare 2 worksheets, 1 old, 1 updated to find difference
I have 2 large worksheets of text information, the 2nd being an update of the first, I need to identify/highlight the updated fields. Is there a way to do this? There is a workbook compare add-in by Myrna Larsen and Bill Manville on Chip Pearson's site you might try: http://www.cpearson.com/Zips/Compare.ZIP -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "alienstew" <alienstew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A1CD24D8-93AB-47CA-AAF0-708A4D3EA14C@microsoft.com... |I have 2 large worksheets of text information, the 2nd being an update of the | first, I need to identify/highlig...

2 Exchange Servers in the Same Domain
Microsoft Outlook SignatureHi, Please help as I'm new to Exchange.... I have 2 Windows 2003 Servers both with Exchange 2003 installed in the same domain, @ two different physical locations connected via a gateway to gateway VPN. If I have user on Server A, he can create a email in the gobal address list and send it without error to a user on Server B but it never arrives @ the server B's inbox? Is there a way to track it? K.J.B. You can enable message tracking... http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/The_Exchange_Message_Tracking_Center_or_How_to_Save_Your_A_in_a_Pinch.html CA...

Public folder Exchange 2003 #2
When I trying to set client permission on public folder I get the following message: Unable to create the required MAPI profile. Please verify that you have sufficient permissions to write to the MAPISVC.INF file. c103073a I have migrated from Exchange server 2000, but I still have the old server running. It doesn’t seem to be a problem with public folders created before Exchange 2003 server, just the new ones. Regards Per Per <Per@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I trying to set client permission on public folder I get the following >message: > >Unable to...

mail delivery,same domain, 2 different sbs-locations
i have this: mydomain.be have to sbs-servers, located on 2 different offices office 1 uses this mailaliasses: - alias1@mydomain.be - alias2@mydomain.be office 2 uses this mailaliasses: - alias3@mydomain.be - alias4@mydomain.be E-mail of both offices are stores in 2 separated mailboxes at an external ISP, one for office1 and one for office2. Each of the mailservers at both offices retreive their mail from their particular mailbox. at office 1, the LAN-domain is named: mydomain.be at office 2, the LAN-domain is named: office2.local At office 1, I have some problems with e-mail delivery. when...

Help for compare 2 data table in excel format!`
I got 2 data table in excel format, but I want to know the different between 2 table! For instance, Table 1, Table 2, Inventory ID Qty InventoryID Qty CC2210 5 AA1101 5 CC2211 8 CC2210 9 CC2212 100 CC2211 160 ...... Between 2 table, I want catch the inventoryID AA1101 IS THE DEFFERENT. How ahould I do ?? Thanks! Danny If you're looki...

Camera Sale -Nikon , Canon, Minolta , Sony ,Xcam2 , Fujifilm , #2
shopforless.itgo.com Camera Sale -Nikon , Canon, Minolta , Sony ,Xcam2 , Fujifilm , ...

2 questions re:Rollup 2 installation
I've seen a couple of comments regarding my first question, but I'm looking for confirmation: 1. After installing the server portion of Rollup 2, do all client PCs have to be updated before they attempt to use CRM? Or can I update the most important ones first, then get to the rest ASAP? 2. Does the client portion of Rollup 2 have to be installed while logged in as the end-user? Thanks for any guidance! Ryk McDorman #1 upgrading the client is optional but recommended. #2 installing the rollup update 2 on the client only requires to close the Outlook. "Ryk" <Ryk@...

fill color doesnt work on new install of office 2003
fill color doesnt work on new install of office 200 I installed office 2003 over office 98 called the local computer store and they couldn't help either All settings seemed o Any ideas from anyone? Refers to previous versions, but may well be the cause:- MS Article found at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-ca;Q320531 OFF: Changes to Fill Color and Fill Pattern Are Not Displayed The information in this article applies to: Microsoft Excel 2000 Microsoft Excel 2002 Microsoft PowerPoint 2002 Microsoft Publisher 2002 Microsoft Word 2002 Microsoft PowerPoint 2000 Microsoft...