Office 2008 shuts down when I try to convert docx. to doc.

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

I put together a rather large document (40 pages with four pictures) as a docx. Now I'm trying to save it as a doc., but Word shuts down everytime I try. Is there anything I can do?

thanks,
chris
0
cjfaherty (1)

Hi Chris -

First confirm that you're up-to-date on OS X (10.5.4), Office (12.1.2), and
that you've repaired disk permissions. Those are the primary causes of
problems like this.

If that doesn't resolve the issue we'll need more information about the
file. It isn't so much the size - actually, 40 pages is relatively small -
as it is what the file contains & how the file has been handled in regard to
formatting, tables, & certain other features. Additionally, what type of
"pictures" [that's a very broad term] and how did you go about putting them
into the document? Probably unrelated, but have you run the Compatibility
Checker? What did it reveal? Is there any indication of trouble with the
..docx itself?

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 8/28/08 10:11 AM, in article 59b58173.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"cjfaherty@officeformac.com" <cjfaherty@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2008
> Processor: Intel
>
> I put together a rather large document (40 pages with four pictures) as a
> docx. Now I'm trying to save it as a doc., but Word shuts down everytime I
> try. Is there anything I can do?
>
> thanks,
> chris

Hi

I had the same problem a week ago. While trying to convert a docx to doc in
Word for mac 2008 an error apperared.
I deleted the 3 images I had in my 2 pages document and the conversion
worked fine this time. I got those images using the "select image" option
from the Preview program.

Is there any way I can convert docx to doc maintaining the images

Thanks,

"CyberTaz" wrote:

> Hi Chris -
>
> First confirm that you're up-to-date on OS X (10.5.4), Office (12.1.2), and
> that you've repaired disk permissions. Those are the primary causes of
> problems like this.
>
> If that doesn't resolve the issue we'll need more information about the
> file. It isn't so much the size - actually, 40 pages is relatively small -
> as it is what the file contains & how the file has been handled in regard to
> formatting, tables, & certain other features. Additionally, what type of
> "pictures" [that's a very broad term] and how did you go about putting them
> into the document? Probably unrelated, but have you run the Compatibility
> Checker? What did it reveal? Is there any indication of trouble with the
> ..docx itself?
>
> Regards |:>)
> Bob Jones
> [MVP] Office:Mac
>

> On 8/28/08 10:11 AM, in article 59b58173.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
> "cjfaherty@officeformac.com" <cjfaherty@officeformac.com> wrote:
>
> > Version: 2008
> > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
> > Processor: Intel
> >
> > I put together a rather large document (40 pages with four pictures) as a
> > docx. Now I'm trying to save it as a doc., but Word shuts down everytime I
> > try. Is there anything I can do?
> >
> > thanks,
> > chris

0
mkonji (1)
10/22/2008 3:07:01 PM
PLEASE don't hijack other threads even though the issue "seems" to be the
same - this thread is nearly 2 months old & has been dead since the day it
first appeared. Nobody can offer meaningful suggestions if you don't provide
specific OS & Office version info and a thorough, accurate description of
your situation - If you had the same problem it would have been corrected by
the solution, so your situation must be different in some way.

The only guess I can make is that you haven't yet applied the recently
released 12.1.3 update to Office. It corrects a bug introduced by the 12.1.2
update which caused Word to crash when saving files containing PDFs to the
older (.doc) format. Apply the update & see if that resolves the issue.

If that isn't the solution you need to please submit a NEW message - rather
than a reply to this one - stating all particulars involved. Be specific
about how you obtained the "images" & indicate exactly what file type the
"images" are (jpeg, png, tiff, pdf...). It can make a big difference. Also,
since this is a question involving only Word it would be better to post to
the Word group rather than the Office group. It will be seen by more likely
responders if you do.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 10/22/08 11:07 AM, in article
428808E0-1043-4D69-8475-4AD59E724D95@microsoft.com, "mkonji"
<mkonji@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I had the same problem a week ago. While trying to convert a docx to doc in
> Word for mac 2008 an error apperared.
> I deleted the 3 images I had in my 2 pages document and the conversion
> worked fine this time. I got those images using the "select image" option
> from the Preview program.
>
> Is there any way I can convert docx to doc maintaining the images
>
> Thanks,
>
> "CyberTaz" wrote:
>
>> Hi Chris -
>>
>> First confirm that you're up-to-date on OS X (10.5.4), Office (12.1.2), and
>> that you've repaired disk permissions. Those are the primary causes of
>> problems like this.
>>
>> If that doesn't resolve the issue we'll need more information about the
>> file. It isn't so much the size - actually, 40 pages is relatively small -
>> as it is what the file contains & how the file has been handled in regard to
>> formatting, tables, & certain other features. Additionally, what type of
>> "pictures" [that's a very broad term] and how did you go about putting them
>> into the document? Probably unrelated, but have you run the Compatibility
>> Checker? What did it reveal? Is there any indication of trouble with the
>> ..docx itself?
>>
>> Regards |:>)
>> Bob Jones
>> [MVP] Office:Mac
>>

>> On 8/28/08 10:11 AM, in article 59b58173.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
>> "cjfaherty@officeformac.com" <cjfaherty@officeformac.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Version: 2008
>>> Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
>>> Processor: Intel
>>>
>>> I put together a rather large document (40 pages with four pictures) as a
>>> docx. Now I'm trying to save it as a doc., but Word shuts down everytime I
>>> try. Is there anything I can do?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> chris

Office 08 auto correct problem
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: intel I just installed Office 2008 for mac and I can't get the auto correct to work right. Is there some magic box to check or something? Thanks in advance. Brooklyngem Can you describe what working wrong means to you? Can't see your screen from here. You can turn it on via Tools | AutoCorrect, if that's the problem. brooklyngem@officeformac.com wrote: > Version: 2008 > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) > Processor: intel > > I just installed Office 2008 for mac and I can't get the auto...

Problem when converting to UNICODE, please help
Hello, I didn't think it would be so much pain to convert to UNICODE. The problems I have so far are: 1. I can't use atof() to convert a string to float number. Someone said to use _tstof() (wtof()). But my version of VS6 doesn't have that (not in my MSDN either - July2001). Someone must have done unicode at that time. What was the solution then? 2. It is so odd that I can't use _tcsncpy() or lstrcpyn() to copy 2 strings, eg. CHARFORMAT cfThis; LPCTSTR sFaceName;// from calling function _tcsncpy(cfThis.szFaceName, sFaceName, LF_FACESIZE); The message is {cannot conv...

Anti Aliasing Quit in Office X
The Quartz anti aliasing has recently ceased to function in MSIE and Office. I installed the patch update for MSIE and that fixed the issue there. However, MSFT Office is not responding to the update to fix the issue. Any ideas as to how I can fix the anti aliasing issue? It is really annoying and makes reading documents difficult.. Thank you. M. Sagi pallor@subnova.com First, go to Apple -> About this Mac, and make sure your OS version is at least 10.1.5. If it is any lower, go to Apple -> Software Update and update to the latest version. From there, go to Apple -> System Prefe...

How do I stop a Textbox in a Userform converting numbers?
Probably a really stupid question... but how do I stop a Textbox on userform from removing the leading zero on a number? eg 01234567890 becomes 123456789 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Alan You must format the cell first as text. e.g Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() Range("A6").NumberFormat = "@" Range("A6").Value = TextBox1.Text End Sub Regards Peter >-----Original Message----- >Probably a really stupid question... but how do I stop a Textbox on a >userform from removing the leading zero on a number? > >eg 01234...

how do I convert my m o pub doc to pdf or word doc?
the person I am sending my doc to via email does not have publisher so how do I convert it to a word doc or pdf thanks Use Acrobat (not just the free Reader) or other third-party software. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "allinug" <allinug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DF2B028E-E8E8-4C38-860F-3D47C53C1CB7@microsoft.com... > the person I am sending my doc to via email does not have publisher so how > do > I convert it to a word doc or pdf > thanks pdf would be the easy, high quality way. You will need a pdf creating program...

Excel 2003 hangs when trying to locate a workbook to open
When I try to open a workbook located in another folder I usually go File Open and then use the Open window to change folders and locate the file workbook I wish to open but the moment I try change folders Excel hangs / freezes. I using Xp Professional SP2 / Office 2003 and has been updated with the latest updates. -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com Are you sure excel is locking up? I've found that excel can slow down while it's getting the list of drives or the list of files if there's too many. If you map a lot of drives, maybe you can disconnect some (yech!). ...

office 97 and office xp
Hi, Is it possible to install office97 and officeXP on Windows XP at the same time. I appreciate your help Andonny Yes, I have xl95, xl97 sr2 and xp2002 all on my xp machine. Recommend installing oldest version first and, of course, you don't install in the same directory. "me" <wje@multiline.com.au> wrote in message news:%23NkrPOZjDHA.1284@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Hi, > Is it possible to install office97 and officeXP on Windows XP at the same > time. > > I appreciate your help > Andonny > > ...

lpp lpp lpp lpp after installing MS Office update
Yo, homies. I also got the Autoupdate, dutifully installed it, and went off to cook some stew. When I came back, Safari was open (I'd opened it already to check out the Update info from Microsoft), and there were a dozen copies of a file called "lpp" (just like the Unix lpp?) attempting to download. I deleted them from the download list quicker than you can say Jack Robinson. I did a search on 'lpp' afterwards and just found the normal files with that string in them. What the heck is up? I haven't been doing anything exotic enough to catch a virus, but neither c...

Converting from 6.0 to VS2005
I have a clean compile but when I try to link I get bunch of unresolved external symbol _DebugTrapFn Any ideas what I'm missing please ? A .lib file. Who defines that function? A strong hint is the name of the module that it is unresolved in, but you didn't bother to tell us that. joe On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 16:33:05 -0800, "Michael Tissington" <mtissington@newsgroup.nospam> wrote: >I have a clean compile but when I try to link I get bunch of unresolved >external symbol _DebugTrapFn > >Any ideas what I'm missing please ? > Joseph M. Newc...

Office 2004 won't reinstall
As soon as I installed Leopard, my Office 2004 apps stopped working. I had never uninstalled Office X and I found that I could still use those apps, although I could *not* double-click on a doc and open it directly. I had to open the app, then choose "open" to get to docs. This was inconvenient, but I dealt with it whilst I looked online and tried to figure out what was going on with 2004. I found a lot of info about how installing Leopard messes up permissions, so I used disk utility to repair permissions. I checked that I had read & write privileges for Office 2004, and I check...

Opening Office Files
I typically open my documents/excel files/power point by clicking on the file directly. Everytime I do I get the following message: "Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Office Professional Hybrid 2007". This causes a long delay in opening the file and my previous system(XP) did not perform this task. My new system is Vista. I also have a problem every time I open Outlook, it starts installing Visio and PowerPoint. Any reason why it should do any of these? How do I alleviate these from happening? Thanks, -- Gevan "Gevan" <Gevan@discus...

When I try to open an attachement (jpeg) I receive an error
We just "upgraded" to a server (sbs 2003) from a peer to peer network. So far Ouklook is a disappointment. Outlook Express was much easier to use. Okay, so here is the problem, I received e-mail with a picture attachment, a small jpeg 100kb, when I right click on the picture to view it I receive an error message "application not found" - Any help? Dennis, Open Windows Explorer. Select "Tools", "Folder Options" from the menus. Click on the "File Types" tab. Scroll down the list of file types to find "JPG". Try clicking the...

Office 2008
I heard a vicious and ugly rumor that there was yet another effort to exclude Mac users from some of the features and benefits that Microsoft Office (Windows) users enjoy. I've heard that macros are being dropped in Office 2008. I just wonder whether anyone in the product management group at Microsoft considers the fact that Mac users work with Windows users. Or is this yet another effort to fly under the radar and drop support for the Mac OS forcing Mac users to run Office in emulation? Where does the oppressive Mac bias end? I mean have you SEEN Vista? Is anyone else tired of being a ...

Macro to convert ASCII File to Excell
I get files daily from differnet vendors in ASCII format. The line breaks are noted by the ~ST and the columns are denoted by *. Below is an example of a few lines. ISA*00* *00* *ZZ*DHLCIDI *ZZ*TRN200175 *100126*020 8*U*00400*000000142*1*P*>~GS*IA*DHLCIDI*TRN200175*20100126*0208*142*X*004010~ST* 110*1420001~B3**AUSD000000017**MX**20100125*27629****DHLC*20100125~B3A*DR*1~C3*U SD**USD~ITD*05*3****20100209*15~N1*BT*DELL DMS*25*00797056329~N3*501 DELL WAY~N4 *ROUND ROCK*TX*786820001*US~LX*1~N1*SH*DELL DMS*25*00797056329~N3*200 DELL WAY B LDG RR ...

Converting to .net
Hello everyone, Has anyone ever used an upgrade wizard that upgarades an MS Access application to vb.net ? I realize that a lot of code would have to be rewritten. I have a very complicated ms access product that works something similar as client server I have a data file and a programm file both are written in MS Access, So has anyone ever heard of a wizzard that upgrades .mdb into VB.net. Thank you very much. Igor No such tool exists. (To my knowledge.) I re-wrote an Access app in VB.Net and it was not easy. There is a sharp learning curve. -- Joe Fallon Access MVP "Igor"...

transferring office suite from desktop to laptop
Version: v.X Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel I am switching from a desktop to laptop and want to transfer my office suite to the laptop. Unfortunately, I can't find my installation cd. I do have the product ID number. Is it possible to download the program onlne to my laptop using the product ID from the desktop? On 5/11/09 3:37 PM, "dschray@officeformac.com" <dschray@officeformac.com> wrote: > I am switching from a desktop to laptop and want to transfer my office suite > to the laptop. Unfortunately, I can't find my installation cd. I...

Quicken R 5 update : Money converter handles long transaction memo's (no truncation) better
Dick .. I posted this in an older thread and I am not sure you will ever see it. In the post you indicated that memo's was a show stopper for you so I am posting this again in a new thread in hopes that you see it. Dick ... with the new R 5 release of Quicken one of the updates to the converter is that Memos in Money that are longer than 64 characters are copied in full to a NOTE in the Quicken transaction. The memo is still truncated in Quicken memo but if you review the note you see the complete/full Money Memo. I have validated this somewhat in the new R5 release...

how to convert excel with calculation into interactive webpage
i create some calculation step in excel and i do want to convert it as interactive webpage...i only knew that excel can convert into webpage. when i try my calculation doesnot work as in excel.....experts please advise me........ Try this site; http://www.regnow.com/softsell/visitor.cgi?affiliate=16062&action=site&vendor=9059 -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "lil_hipo" <lil_hipo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:66D9F73C-9783-4F68-A458-F0AECDDC9B4D@microsoft.com... >i create some calculation step in excel and i do want to c...

Office 2000: transparent documents ( desktop visible through
I have Office 2000 and suddendly when I load in Word any document the page is TRANSPARENT so i can see the icons on the desktop. I need instruction how I could undo this phenomen and have the regular "black and white page! Thanks Jiri G. Hruby ...

Getting a strange error when I try to view an XML file from VS.NET
The error message that I'm getting is: "Cannot find the file 'C:\text.xml' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available". I've attached the file that I have saved at C:\text.xml. It's a simple XML file that I threw together for testing. But it's giving me that error. Does anyone have any idea why I might be getting this, and (more importantly) how I can fix it? Thanks! -Scott begin 666 test.xml M/#]X;6P@=F5R<VEO;CTG,2XP)R!E;F-O9&EN9STG=71F+3@G(#\^#0H\<75O M=&4^#0H\5&...

Proofing tools included in Office 2004 Mac
Can anyone tell me which proofing tools come with a localized version Office 2004 Mac? I know for Windows that each localized version does only contain a few other languages, e.g. the English Office 2004 Mac does contain English, French and Spanish proofing tools. http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/prodinfo/language/localized.mspx As I needed English, German and Japanese I have got the Office Proofing Tools from Microsoft but it seems to me as if this is not available for the Mac version. So, what languages does the Mac version include? Is it the same as for Windows or does it c...

I have a trial version of Office Professional but it does'nt work
I downloaded a trial version of Office professional but I am unable to get the program to work. Does anyone have a solution to this issue? "Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:10504C3D-FF4F-42F6-8E2F-B7B60CC024CE@microsoft.com... > I downloaded a trial version of Office professional but I am unable to get > the program to work. Does anyone have a solution to this issue? That's pretty damned vague, Mark. What do you mean by "I am unable to get the program to work"? -- "Don't pick a fight with an old man...

Is document imaging available in windows 7 version of office?
I want to do OCR. On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 20:00:01 -0800, vlhiker <vlhiker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I want to do OCR. See the answer to your previous question. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit. ...

Office 2008 for Mac & Proofing Tools SDK
Good day. We want to develop Proofing Tools for Russian language (spelling, thesaurus, hyphenation) for Microsoft Office 2008 (Mac OS X). We have all necessary resources (we have released some Russian linguistic software for Mac OS X). But I cann't find any useful information - API or documentation, or samples for Proofing Tools 2008 (Mac OS X). I had a talk with Microsoft office in Russia, but still waiting their answer. I know that Microsoft is not interesting in Russian Mac market (it is too small). But there is no way at all to sell Microsoft Office for Mac without Proofing Tools for...

Converting Access Database From 2003 to Access 97
I am developing applications in VB and Access. I distribute an Access 97 = database as part of the system. I have recently upgraded from using = Access XP to Access 2003 to manage the distributed database. Since I = still wish to distribute the database in Access 97 format to clients, I = convert the file from Access 2003 to Access 97 format before = distribution. The distribution database contains around 50 tables, 8 or = 9 of which are linked to another larger database. The database also = contains approx. 100 queries. Unfortunately, this conversion no longer works in Access 2003. The = ori...