Office 2008 - No Macros?

I heard a vicious and ugly rumor that there was yet another effort to
exclude Mac users from some of the features and benefits that
Microsoft Office (Windows) users enjoy.  I've heard that macros are
being dropped in Office 2008. I just wonder whether anyone in the
product management group at Microsoft considers the fact that Mac
users work with Windows users.  Or is this yet another effort to fly
under the radar and drop support for the Mac OS forcing Mac users to
run Office in emulation? Where does the oppressive Mac bias end?  I
mean have you SEEN Vista? Is anyone else tired of being a "second
class" citizen when it comes to the Mac version of Office? I am! I
guess the Mac user base is going to have to report these actions to
the US Department of Justice and the European Community as evidence
that once again there's a concerted effort to undermine the Mac OS by
Microsoft.  Maybe then Microsoft will take Mac users seriously.

I can't see another reason to support macros in the Office version of
one OS and not the other unless there's a concerted effort of some
kind. If I'm wrong I'll be glad to acknowledge it - but the rumor
seems fairly well supported and what other reasonable explanation can
there be?

http://www.macworld.com/2007/09/reviews/vmwarefusion/index.php

0
dfwenigma (3)

Porting Visual Basic for Office applications under Office 2008 for Mac on
Intel would have been a huge strain on the developers. It possibly could be
done, but maybe Office 2008 for Mac would become Office 2010 for Mac. It was
necessary trade off to deliver features with more priority while delivering
the suite on time. Exchange integration in Entourage 2008 is something you
should definitely look forward to in addition to that, the suite works
natively on Intel based Macs. Other features to look forward to include the
XML formats to work seamlessly with Office 2007 applications.

There are tools available for migrating Macros to an Apple Scripting based
methodology. With Visual Basic for Office applications on Windows might
eventually be phased out in a few years with the next release of Office for
Windows '14', it would be a wasted effort to get something working just find
it won't be even supported with future versions of Office for Windows.
--
 Andre
Blog: http://adacosta.spaces.live.com

<dfwenigma@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I heard a vicious and ugly rumor that there was yet another effort to
> exclude Mac users from some of the features and benefits that
> Microsoft Office (Windows) users enjoy.  I've heard that macros are
> being dropped in Office 2008. I just wonder whether anyone in the
> product management group at Microsoft considers the fact that Mac
> users work with Windows users.  Or is this yet another effort to fly
> under the radar and drop support for the Mac OS forcing Mac users to
> run Office in emulation? Where does the oppressive Mac bias end?  I
> mean have you SEEN Vista? Is anyone else tired of being a "second
> class" citizen when it comes to the Mac version of Office? I am! I
> guess the Mac user base is going to have to report these actions to
> the US Department of Justice and the European Community as evidence
> that once again there's a concerted effort to undermine the Mac OS by
> Microsoft.  Maybe then Microsoft will take Mac users seriously.
>
> I can't see another reason to support macros in the Office version of
> one OS and not the other unless there's a concerted effort of some
> kind. If I'm wrong I'll be glad to acknowledge it - but the rumor
> seems fairly well supported and what other reasonable explanation can
> there be?
>
> http://www.macworld.com/2007/09/reviews/vmwarefusion/index.php

0
andred25 (19)
10/18/2007 7:02:33 AM
I understand where you're coming from, but the conspiracy theory just
doesn't hold up:-) Just a few points (as I understand them) to help clarify:

1- You've been misinformed or have misinterpreted - MS has announced that
VBA will not be supported in Office 2008. Visual Basic for Applications is
not synonymous with "macros". What we have to look forward to remains to be
seen, but some other scripting language will most likely replace VBA...
Sooner or later, any way.

2- VBA on the Mac & VBA in Windows hasn't been *fully* compatible for years,
so there was already a big gap between what can be done in PC Office v. what
survives when moved over to Mac.

3- VBA is End of Life even in Windows - announced to be no longer supported
there when the next version of Win Office ships - tentatively Spring 2010 -
because of security issues and other vulnerability. VBA support was
originally intended to be dropped in Office 2007, but the Corporate Global
Community united to demand it be retained for one more version.
Unfortunately (or not) the Mac voice was nowhere near as loud or persuasive.

4- Based on the inevitable demise of VBA MacBU spent their available budget
focusing on other aspects of Mac Office 2008 rather than playing catch-up
with a language destined for distinction in the immediate future.

5- Vista is the latest version of Windows OS & has nothing to do with Win
Office 2007. If you like Vista - which I can't really tell from the way your
post is phrased - you'll need to complain to Apple about OS X being "second
class". You might do well to investigate al little beyond the superficial
aspects of the GUI first, however, as Vista is having more than its fair
share of nightmares from an *operating* standpoint... And don't forget that
OS X Leopard is only 2 weeks away:-)

6- The article you link to mentions absolutely nothing about VBA - and what
it states about macros is not entirely accurate... Excel Macro Language
(XLM) - as I understand it - will still be supported. In case you missed its
point, that article is a sales pitch for VMWareFusion disguised as a
"review" - its entire slant is to convince the reader that they need & want
the product being advertised.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 10/18/07 2:48 AM, in article
1192670415.447740.173940@t8g2000prg.googlegroups.com, "dfwenigma@gmail.com"

On 18/10/2007 08:02, in article OD4loTVEIHA.4400@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
"Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin]" <andred25@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Exchange integration in Entourage 2008 is something you
> should definitely look forward to in addition to that, the suite works
> natively on Intel based Macs. Other features to look forward to include the
> XML formats to work seamlessly with Office 2007 applications.

About the Exchange integration within Entourage 2008 compared to what we
already have in Entourage 2004: Do you know what's new and different?
I have yet to see a Microsoft comparison of features between 2004 and 2008.
This leads me to believe that there is little difference between the two
(apart from Out of Office and My Day) just a bit of "deckchair rearranging".

Which isn't really good enough for four years of development. Is it?

Thanks,

Paul

In article <C33D3652.16FB8%paul.williams@condenast.co.uk>,
 Paul Williams <paul.williams@condenast.co.uk> wrote:

> About the Exchange integration within Entourage 2008 compared to what we
> already have in Entourage 2004: Do you know what's new and different?
> I have yet to see a Microsoft comparison of features between 2004 and 2008.
> This leads me to believe that there is little difference between the two
> (apart from Out of Office and My Day) just a bit of "deckchair rearranging".
>
> Which isn't really good enough for four years of development. Is it?

So not seeing a comparison leads you to believe that you know what the
comparison would show? Hmmm....

Here's what's been released so far. Expect more over the next several
weeks:

    http://blogs.msdn.com/macmojo/default.aspx
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
10/18/2007 4:13:50 PM
> On 18/10/2007 17:13, in article
> jemcgimpsey-79056E.10135018102007@msnews.microsoft.com, "JE McGimpsey"
> <jemcgimpsey@mvps.org> wrote:
>
> In article <C33D3652.16FB8%paul.williams@condenast.co.uk>,
>  Paul Williams <paul.williams@condenast.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> About the Exchange integration within Entourage 2008 compared to what we
>> already have in Entourage 2004: Do you know what's new and different?
>> I have yet to see a Microsoft comparison of features between 2004 and 2008.
>> This leads me to believe that there is little difference between the two
>> (apart from Out of Office and My Day) just a bit of "deckchair rearranging".
>>
>> Which isn't really good enough for four years of development. Is it?
>
> So not seeing a comparison leads you to believe that you know what the
> comparison would show? Hmmm....

Whoops. Yes, I see your point. It's based upon my own reading of the MacMojo
blog. I think that any substantial changes to the mail client between 2004
and 2008 would already have been trailed. So far? Nothing that pops my cork.

And I'd have expected any beta testers of E2008 to be dropping hints about
the amazing new features too. So far? Nothing. Not a sausage.

But then I am a "glass half empty" kinda guy.

Pw

There will improvements to get Entourage 2008 in parity with Outlook with
features such as Out Of Office, setting up meetings and events, read more at
the following link:
http://blogs.msdn.com/macmojo/archive/2007/10/15/it-s-about-time.aspx#comments
--
"Paul Williams" <paul.williams@condenast.co.uk> wrote in message

> On 18/10/2007 08:02, in article OD4loTVEIHA.4400@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
> "Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin]" <andred25@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Exchange integration in Entourage 2008 is something you
>> should definitely look forward to in addition to that, the suite works
>> natively on Intel based Macs. Other features to look forward to include
>> the
>> XML formats to work seamlessly with Office 2007 applications.
>
> About the Exchange integration within Entourage 2008 compared to what we
> already have in Entourage 2004: Do you know what's new and different?
> I have yet to see a Microsoft comparison of features between 2004 and
> 2008.
> This leads me to believe that there is little difference between the two
> (apart from Out of Office and My Day) just a bit of "deckchair
> rearranging".
>
> Which isn't really good enough for four years of development. Is it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul

0
andred25 (19)
10/18/2007 4:55:26 PM
In article <C33D4D1E.17007%paul.williams@condenast.co.uk>,
 Paul Williams <paul.williams@condenast.co.uk> wrote:

> Whoops. Yes, I see your point. It's based upon my own reading of the MacMojo
> blog. I think that any substantial changes to the mail client between 2004
> and 2008 would already have been trailed. So far? Nothing that pops my cork.

Roll-out's still almost three months away. MacBU typically tries to
build momentum rather exponentially.

> And I'd have expected any beta testers of E2008 to be dropping hints about
> the amazing new features too. So far? Nothing. Not a sausage.

Beta testers quickly cease to be beta testers if they drop hints.
Nondisclosure agreements (i.e., enforceable contracts) apply...

> But then I am a "glass half empty" kinda guy.

And while I try to see the "glass half full", I tend to be a "glass is
twice as big as it needs to be" kinda guy...
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
10/18/2007 4:58:56 PM
My comments are in-line...

-Jim

Quoting from "dfwenigma@gmail.com" <dfwenigma@gmail.com>, in article
1192670415.447740.173940@t8g2000prg.googlegroups.com, on [DATE:

> I heard a vicious and ugly rumor that there was yet another effort to
> exclude Mac users from some of the features and benefits that
> Microsoft Office (Windows) users enjoy. I've heard that macros are
> being dropped in Office 2008.

The rumor your heard is correct. Please don't beat up the messenger of the
rumor, as the facts you have stated are substantially correct. VBA will be
gone. Since for years (at least since Word 98, maybe even earlier) WordBasic
macros were automatically turned into VBA Macros I doubt they will work any
more either. No news yet on Excel version 4 style macros. But as a practical
matter I think it is fair to say macros will be gone from Office 2008.

> I just wonder whether anyone in the
> product management group at Microsoft considers the fact that Mac
> users work with Windows users.

They are aware that some Mac users share documents with Windows users.
Microsoft does not think there are many of us who need complete
interoperability in this regard.

> Or is this yet another effort to fly
> under the radar and drop support for the Mac OS forcing Mac users to
> run Office in emulation?

With regard to users who need VBA compatibility with Windows office
Microsoft offers Office 2004. At least until January, 2008. Otherwise you
are stuck using Windows either in emulation, via Remote Desktop, or on a
PC-based computer. Office 2004 appears to be the final version of Office to
be offered on the Mac that is VBA compatible. You better stock up if you
want to keep the existing compatibility, such as it is.

I don't think Microsoft is trying to fly "under the radar."  They've been up
front about their decision to drop VBA support on the Mac. No one who uses
VBA should consider purchasing Office 2008 unless they are willing to invest
what they know in re-doing their code in AppleScript, in which Microsoft has
invested quite heavily. No existing VBA macros will work at all in Mac
Office 2008, nor will any new ones. There will be no VBA compiler. No VBA
editor. No VBA run-time. No VBA player. AppleScript will be the only way to
do any programming of Office 2008. AppleScript accomplishes this by using a
somewhat modified version of the OLE feature of VBA, which is an indirect
way of executing VBA commands externally from the Office applications. Some
compromises had to be made along the way.

> Where does the oppressive Mac bias end?

When it hurts sales of Microsoft products for the Mac. In other words, when
Mac users don't buy Office 2008.

> I mean have you SEEN Vista?

Yes. I think it's OK. Nice, even. I've seen demos of Leopard. It's amazing.
I can use VISTA and XP when I have to. But I really *want* to use Leopard.

> Is anyone else tired of being a "second
> class" citizen when it comes to the Mac version of Office? I am!

Me, too! But right now, you and I don't have Microsoft's ear. For years
they've been hearing Mac people whine and moan about "feature bloat" and
complaining that Office has lots of features that they will never use. What
these whiners have been saying translates to what we see in Office 2008 -
lower cost of creating the product and happy customers who get what they
asked for: no "unnecessary" features.

People like you and me have been relatively quiet - scraping along on the
workable, but far from ideal situation of VBA version 5. Beginning with
Office 2008 we are shut out. Microsoft apparently thinks there aren't enough
of us as customers of Mac Office to make a difference in sales of Office
2008 to the point where it will hurt sales. They are shedding a costly set
of features that get low use. They know they will shed some customers, but
expect the vast majority of Mac users will continue to purchase the Mac
Office 2008 product even without VBA.  In short, Microsoft seems to think
there aren't enough of us Mac Office users who want programmability and
compatibility to make it profitable for them to continue its implementation
and support.

> I guess the Mac user base is going to have to report these actions to
> the US Department of Justice and the European Community as evidence
> that once again there's a concerted effort to undermine the Mac OS by
> Microsoft.  Maybe then Microsoft will take Mac users seriously.

Ouch!  I *hate* getting courts and the law involved. They are typically out
of touch on science and technology issues. Remember the judge who said that
Microsoft's line-by-line copying of Apple's OS was not infringement? That
decision pretty much made Microsoft a viable company. I just don't trust
these folks to make good decisions about technology issues.

I think there are more effective ways to lobby for the cause of demanding
that Mac customers be offered quality Microsoft products that are equal to
or better than their Windows counterparts.

Of course the #1 way to show how important VBA is would be if Office 2008
simply flops. If Mac customers continue to purchase 2004 instead of 2008
Microsoft will get the message plenty fast.

Be outspoken in every forum you can think of. Blogs. Magazines. Local
newspapers that run computer columns. User groups. Your message will
directly conflict with some long standing Mac smugness about feature bloat.
Your argument is as much against the folks in the Mac community who don't
want you to have these features as it is against Microsoft for listening to
these jerks.

> I can't see another reason to support macros in the Office version of
> one OS and not the other unless there's a concerted effort of some
> kind. If I'm wrong I'll be glad to acknowledge it - but the rumor
> seems fairly well supported and what other reasonable explanation can
> there be?
>
> http://www.macworld.com/2007/09/reviews/vmwarefusion/index.php

The rumor is right on the money. You were not mislead. I'm sure no company
wants to shed customers, but ones like us who are too costly to satisfy
simply have to go sometimes, I guess. It's not easy to be rejected, but here
we are.

If our numbers are small, then only a few of us go home bruised. I conclude
Microsoft apparently thinks that's the case. If our numbers are large, then
not only we get hurt, but so does Apple, as customers have to resort to
Windows as the only practical office solution. This puts a damper on the
Apple "switcher" campaign and unfortunately turns the tide in the opposite
direction.

Personally, I think this Microsoft decision will cost Apple serious money -
many millions of dollars in lost sales as Office 2008 will be an even less
attractive option than Office 2004 for organizational office users, but what
do I know? We're supposed to stay in our graphic/creative/home-user pigeon
holes, right?

-Jim

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

MVPs are not Microsoft Employees
MVP info http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

0
goldkey74 (611)

Office Update 2007 error message...
Hey, guys, how's it goin'? As for me, I'm having trouble getting through this error. To start this off, I have Office Ultimate 2007 SP1 and wondering why Office Update won't work? The error message says, "The operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." Is it me or am I missing something? Feedbacks/suggestions are greatly appreciated. Goodday, all! More than likely, it's a permissions problem, but you really need to check with a windows newsgroup. Your question may be better an...

Chart export macro
I receive a run time error 1004 within the macro below. The message says, "Application-defined or object-defined error". Being a real novice, I don't know what to look for. So any help would be appreciated. Using Excel 2000, my worksheet periodically imports selected data from an Oracle 9i database. On the same worksheet the data is charted. I want the chart to be periodically dumped to a .htm file so using openign the .htm file see the updated chart data. Here's the macro: Sub Auto_Open() ActiveWorkbook.PublishObjects.Add(xlSourceChart, _ "\\Shared\Of...

uninstalling ms office 2010 which was installed through power iso
hai; i have downloaded a crappy ms office mondo 2010 from lan and installed it.also there were some installation errors. i am not able to use ppt/word.... hence when i tried to unistall it ,through control pannel, it is saying "corrupted,insert original dvd/cd ". but i have installed it by poweriso. now i want to remove that msoffice and get some office07. so what should i do now to uninstall it. i have tried many times,every time it says "this product installation has been corrupted.insert original dvd/cd......." please help me.BTW, my os is vista home - - ...

Macro/message box to prompt user for their name and save name to cell
Hi, Any assistance would be greatly appreciated I need a macro that displays a message box which prompts the user fo their name. When the user enters their name the name is then the cop to a particular cell e.g. C2 Many thanks Ro -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Rob, how about something like this, Sub test() MyName = InputBox("Enter Your Name", "What Is Your Name?") If MyName = "" Then Exit Sub End If Sheet1.Range("C2").Value = MyName End Sub -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any r...

Project Server 2003 and MS Office Project 2007
Hello, I'm very new to Project Server and am researching the creation of templates that can be used by the PMs. We would create a comprehensive template based on PMI, RUP or Prince2 and save it as a template. I found out how to save the template and I can see it in the database allright but when I create a new project in project center, I get a blank project. How and where do I configure project server to use the project template I created in Project Center. Any help is appreciated. Jason Jason -- To create a new project from one of the two new enterprise project ...

Office 2002 better than 2007
I have a one person office and do not need any of the new features of Office 2007. It is too complicated for me. Also, I was required to send to my friends a conversion kit. No thanks! Simple is best! Hi, Joe. > It is too complicated for me. Also, I was required to send to my > friends a conversion kit. No thanks! Why don't you contact Microsoft and tell them? This newsgroup's readers are volunteers familiar with Microsoft Access databases who help each other out with problems with the product and give advice. It's very unlikely that anyone from Microsoft will rea...

importing data using a macro
hi i wish to import 300 fields of data into a spreadsheet from a text file, but since spreadsheets are only 250 fields wide. i was wondering if there was anyway of writing a macro that could import the data vertically, so its all in one column or transpose it during importation. the cut and paste method is possible but i have 200 of these text files to import into this spreasheet and don't think this method would be best. thank you time and any effort that you spend on this matter its been much appreciated Jo I suggest you use Access to do this kind of job. With Access, you ca...

Office Student & teacher edition 2003
Had this installed on desktop which crashed. Cannot install on new laptop as have lost disk. Have my CD case and product key. What can I do? I'm not sure if Microsoft will off a low cost replacement for that edition but it's worth the toll-free phone call. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246 -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "gorgonzolaSA" <gorgonzolaSA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5EA31672-977C-47F7-A7B3-6E4CD4A10C4F@microsoft.com... > Had this...

color bar with pattern macro
Hi all I know how to color excel bar with different colors using color index. How can I add pattern with the same color using macro. Do you know what index number ? Thanks Daniel Assuming a simble bar chart with one series, try something like this . . . Sub FillPatterns() ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).Select With Selection .Fill.Visible = True .Fill.Patterned Pattern:=msoPatternLightUpwardDiagonal .Fill.ForeColor.SchemeColor = 15 .Fill.BackColor.SchemeColor = 4 End With End Sub You can change the pattern type, forecolor, and backcolor. -...

Cannot install Office 2004 Mac
I am trying to install Office 2004 on an ibook G4. The software won't = install.=20 Tried dragging to the hard drive and double-clicking the set-up = assistant=20 but will not go beyond clicking 'accept' on the license agreement. I have run the 'remove office' application from the additional tools = folder=20 and it removed some preferences for previous installation. Is there=20 something else I'm missing? Bob Hendy <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am trying to install Office 2004 on an ibook G4. The software won't install. > Tried drag...

Can't install (yes, I already did the Remove Office prgm)
I even went into ~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft and deleted that directory to ensure that everything Microsoft-esque was gone. When I start up the installer, it just sits there and doesn't install anything after putting in my name, product key, etc. Any further hints? Thanks, Shade HI, Ya' know, I'm a comm. col.student, 54, mind you,, so I did the "...for eductors ed."Go to Mactopia.com" load and install the 11,0,3, then it might work. Good Luck, Augie Hi Shade: 1) Make sure there is no Microsoft Office 2004 folder in your Applications folder. If there ...

Office installation error
My new PC came with Office trial version pre-loaded. I have since purchased Office Home & Student 2007. Before installing it, I uninstalled the trial version & the Assistant. In installing my new program, I got past entering my key and "Agree". It looked like installation was beginning. Then I got an "Error 1303: C:ProgramFiles(x86)\CommonFiles\MicrosoftShared\EQUATION Unable to access. Verify I have the EQUATION folder and that I have administrative rights and Retry." I have the folder on my computer and I am the Administrator. Still no go....

Troubleshoot Editing Pictures In Microsoft Office Picture Manager
I am unable to use any of the functions from the "Picture" drop down menu on the toolbar.For example when I put my my mouse cursor on "fix red eye" the "fix red eye" line stays a light grey color and and I am not able to fix the red eye in the picture on the screen of my computer.If I want to "brighten" the picture,I am not able to "brighten" the picture as the "brighten" command stays a light grey. Please how do I fix this problem so that I can use all the "edit picture" choices from the "picture" too...

Office Update Mac 12.1.1 Cannot Install
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel Hi, Please help. I cannot install Office Update Mac 12.1.1. There are plenty of disk space. Error message: You cannot install Office 2008 12.1.1 Update on this volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume. I can previously install update 12.1.0 "AURUM3@officeformac.com" wrote: > I cannot install Office Update Mac 12.1.1. > There are plenty of disk space. > > Error message: > You cannot install Office 2008 12.1.1 Update on this volume. A ver...

Macro for Graph #3
For the following table, I have written the macro to obtain the graph But the problem is the no. of column and rows can change... So I don want to hard code particularly the first part of macro... Please help. Keyword Date Total Of Value XYZ TUV RST ABC 27/10/2003 7 7 11 100 ABC 27/11/2003 7 3 5 15 ABC 27/12/2003 7 10 200 25 Sub Graph() Charts.Add ActiveChart.ApplyCustomType ChartType:=xlBuiltIn TypeName:="Logarithmic" ActiveChart.SetSourceDat Source:=Sheets("Keyword_Analysis").Range("B2:F4"), PlotBy:=xlColumns ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).Delete ActiveC...

The TRACE macro
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vclib/html/vcrefCRuntimeClassIsDerivedFrom.asp?frame=true gives an example including the following code: > TRACE(_T("Creating object %s derived from %s, with object size %d > and schema %d\n"), pClass->m_lpszClassName, > pBaseClass->m_lpszClassName, pClass->m_nObjectSize, > pClass->m_wSchema); If this code is compiled in an ANSI environment then the _T macro will yield a multibyte string and the ANSI version of ATL::CTrace::s_trace.TraceV will be called. The %s format specifications wi...

enable small user to have "out of office" capability
I am a small office user and I really like Outlook. One capability that Outlook student edition lacks is the "out of office" capability that I had in the Corporate world. It would be greatly appreciated if this feature could be included in Outlook for small users. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader an...

Upgrading from Office XP Pro to 2003 Pro?
I am currently using Office XP Pro and I want to upgrade to 2003 Pro. My question is this: How do I do a clean install of 2003 Pro without erasing everything in XP Pro???? Should I just do an upgrade? Your suggestions are greatly appreciated! Best, Jack Barrett http://windsurf_2.tripod.com The upgrade path is the easiest to use and it does not wipe out your previous settings. I have used both upgrade and clean installations and they both work fine. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and fin...

Macro to Check Dates
I have a list of names and dates whereby the names could be listed multiple times. What I would like to define is how many days there are between the dates that a name appears. As an example the name Frank appears with a date of 01/01/2010 and then appears down the list again with a date of 03/01/2010. How many days are there between each date for Frank. Frank could be listed more than twice, multiple times. Also there are probably 20 different names in this list that are listed multiple times with different dates and the list is at least a year old. OK Beep Beep, - assu...

Office 2003 SP3 breaks MS-Access Sourcesafe
Since installing Office 2003 SP3 I've been unable to get the forms etc in my MS-Access projects from SourceSafe. When it gets to importing the forms I get these error messages: Microsoft Office Access (x) There isn't enough memory to perform this operation. Close unneeded programs and try the operation again. [OK] Source Code Control (i) Failed to import file 'c:\fvs_uk_apps\arm_axa_bpp.scc\FrmEndorsement_Policy.ACF' into Microsoft Access. [OK] [OK All] [Help] The first error seems misleading, 3gb RAM/17gb free disk and the error happens consistently whatever programs...

Uninstalled MS office ultimate 2007, reinstalled
Outlook 2007 in Vista will not open. It processes for 10 seconds and then stops after attempting to open it. Exasperating and Frustrating. How do I make this newish software work? Does it work in Outlook Safe Mode? Start-> type; outlook.exe /safe (note the space in the command) Additionally see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/outlookdoesntstart.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World ...

enable macros?
everytime i get into outlook, it says "some files may contain macros", and gives me the options "enable macros" and "disable macros". even when there is nothing in my inbox, it still brings up the same message. why? You have a vbaproject.otm file that has a macro. See Tools | Macro | Security to adjust security or Tools | Macro | Visual Basic Editor to see what macros are on the machine. "harami" <sosolid21_vish@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:7c8001c4029b$e26087e0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > everytime i get into outlook, it says "some ...

Macro to break data into worksheets
I am running a report each month (with an inconsistant number of rows) that needs to be cut and pasted into either seperate worksheets, or sepearte files. Can I write a macro that will be able to break out data based on customer number and automatically place it into new worksheets? I could filter and then do the cut/past motions through the macro but this is too many actions and it is too labor intensive. There has to be a better way -- ideas? Yes you can do this See http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy5.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Amy S." <Amy ...

Starting Macro Recorder
I have Excel 2003 installed on a system that runs within Windows XP..... When I activate the Macro recorder I get the initial "Name That Macro" window, complete namiomg the macro, and when I select "Okay" the Error message "Unable to Record" appears. A neighbors PC with similar setup works fine! Uninstalled & reinstalled Excel with no luck. I suspect there is some small something not properly setup, but need some guidance to know what to do. Thanks, in advance, for your help. ...

Macro to check data from excel list against access query and return value back to excel
(I posted this yesterday but am tryign to make it clearer) I have an excel list with "name" and "title" and there are many erros and mis-spellings. I havbe an acess quesry that has the correct names and titles and also some mis-spellings and foreign language spellings pointing to the correct english name and title. I would like to write a macro in excel to do a lookup of the excel value in the access quesry and find EITHER an exact match or close match and return the value of a specified field back into an excel column. Here is a hypothetic example: Access list: PK=Van G...