Office 2008 apps are very slow to start since upgrading to Snow Leopard

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

I performed an upgrade from 10.5.8 to 10.6 (not a clean install). I am running the latest version of Office 2008 12.2.1. Previously Entourage, Excel and Powerpoint would boot up incredibly fast (2-3 seconds). Now it takes up to 25-30 seconds before they finish starting up. Word boots up quickly but take about 30 seconds of spinning beach ball before I can type anything. Is anyone else experiencing similar slow-down issues since upgrading?

I wondering if there are too many fonts installed.

I am running a 8-core 3.2 Intel.
0
treborito (5)

Snow Leopard came in the mail for me yesterday. However, since I have websites in my iWeb application on my MacBook, I am waiting to upgrade my Leopard to Snow Leopard until September 30th. This is so that Apple can get any bugs out of it that are doing wonders to different things. How many total fonts are installed? You can check this in the "Font Book" application in the Finder.

On 8/29/09 8:12 AM, in article 59b7b354.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"treborito@officeformac.com" <treborito@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I wondering if there are too many fonts installed.

There are font issues after updating to Snow Leopard. Apple installs some
newer fonts that Microsoft uses. You need to run font book repair and get
rid of some duplicates.The slowness could be rebuilding your fonts.

For anyone that is following this and hasn't upgraded to Snow Leopard yet,
but sure to clear Font caches while still booted in Leopard. Some utilities
like Onyx do not work in Snow Leopard yet.

New fonts installed by Snow Leopard:

Andale Mono
Arial
Arial Black
Arial Narrow
Arial Rounded Bold
Brush Script.ttf
Comic Sans MS
Georgia
Impact
Tahoma
Times New Roman
Trebuchet MS
Verdana
Wingdings 2
Wingdings 3

--
Diane

Thanks for the response Diane. I had already removed the duplicates using Fontbook to no avail. I also removed the font cache using a Unix command line. It actually appears slower now. It's taking about 1 minute to launch Excel. And about 30 seconds to launch Entourage. There must be something else going on here
0
treborito (5)
8/30/2009 1:18:54 AM
On 8/29/09 6:18 PM, in article 59b7b354.2@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"treborito@officeformac.com" <treborito@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the response Diane. I had already removed the duplicates using
> Fontbook to no avail. I also removed the font cache using a Unix command line.
> It actually appears slower now. It's taking about 1 minute to launch Excel.
> And about 30 seconds to launch Entourage. There must be something else going
> on here

Testing in a new User will quickly tell you if the problem is system wide or
if it�s your User�s folder that contains the problem.

Go to System Preferences --> Create a New User in Accounts. Switch to the
New User by logging out/in or use Fast User Switching. Try launching Office
applications in the new User. Is it faster?

If you still are having problems, search for the word "slow" on this link:

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/troubleshoot/crashes.html>

Until we get more info on Snow Leopard we won't know if there is some
specific fix that's needed.

--
Diane

Diane, I tried your suggestion and it is considerably faster but still much slower than it was in Leopard. Right after booting my Mac Pro desktop, it takes about 15-20 seconds to launch Excel. Now if I quit Excel, and then relaunch it, it takes only 4-5 seconds.

Please note, that prior to doing the new user test, I had disabled most of the fonts in Font Book which increased the opening speed for all of the Office 2008 apps substantially. However, in Leopard, this wasn't necessary.

On another note, I installed SL on my MacBook with only minor slowness issues. Still slower than Leopard but not to the degree I am experiencing on my Mac Pro.
0
treborito (5)
8/30/2009 10:26:18 PM
On 8/30/09 3:26 PM, in article 59b7b354.4@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"treborito@officeformac.com" <treborito@officeformac.com> wrote:

>  Right after booting my Mac Pro desktop, it takes about 15-20 seconds to
> launch Excel. Now if I quit Excel, and then relaunch it, it takes only 4-5
> seconds.

This has been documented in the articles I've read on Snow Leopard, but it
seems there is something on this one particular computer that is causing it
to be slower than your other one. Compare the Mac Book to the Pro. I bet the
difference could be in the hardware.

--
Diane

Thanks for the response. As these Office programs aren't very processor intensive, I'm not sure what it could be to make the Mac Pro desktop require more time to launch the software than the MacBook other than fonts. I seriously think there is something more fundamental going on here (as I said previously, prior to installing Snow Leopard) they launched much faster on both machines.
0
treborito (5)
8/31/2009 12:57:37 AM
My Excel 2008 (build 12.2.1) is lagging after upgrading to Snow Leopard. Lagging occurs when I scroll up and down a spreadsheet, highlight cells and insert text/cell.

I am able to replicate this with my iMac and Macbook Air.
0
Albert_C (2)
8/31/2009 3:22:38 PM
Further to my post, it does appear that the Excel's Page Layout view is lagging with Snow Leopard. I have now changed to Normal view and everything is working flawlessly once again.
0
Albert_C (2)
8/31/2009 6:18:20 PM
After disabling most of my fonts via Font Book, the apps now seem to launch fairly quickly (5 seconds) on my Mac Pro 8-core. Still, not what I would expect running Snow Leopard (They launched faster in Leopard with well over 100 fonts installed).
0
treborito (5)

CDO eMail messages not working from FoxPro since installing KB8929
We installed the Exchange 2000 Update (KB892986) and since then our code that creates CDO eMails errors out with the following message: "OLE IDispatch exception code 0 from CDO.Message.1: The transport lost its connection to the server." We are planning to reverse thes updates over the weekend. Does anyone know a better way around this? ...

Outlook hangs when starting
Good day all could somebody please instruct me on how to delete a large email from a users inbox that is preventing Outlook from starting or at least, taking a very long time to start? We access our internal email from our own mail server. regards France France <francet@lantic.net> wrote: > Good day all > could somebody please instruct me on how to delete a large > email from a users inbox that is preventing Outlook from > starting or at least, taking a very long time to start? > We access our internal email from our own mail server. See <http://groups.google.com...

2008 SBS questions... 07-04-10
I am trying to get a 2008 sbs running as efficiently as I can & was wondering about a couple of things. 1) I know it wants to be the DHCP server on a network, but what about for wireless clients? I have a wireless sonicwall TZ-170 for wireless laptops to connect to. They really don't need network access, just internet, so can I leave this running, as long as the addresses it hands out aren't in my same network? 2) Although the bought an SBS, the customer is not & probably won't be running exchange for a while. Can I remove exchange all together? I really see no rea...

Converting Microsoft Office 2003 Trial into a full version
I have bought a Sony Vaio PCG-GRT360ZG notebook with installed Microsoft Office 2003. I registered Microsoft Office 2003 trial version. Now I am trying to convert it into a full version. Unfortunately I am getting message that my product key (from Certificate of Authenticity) is invalid. My trial version expires in Jan 2005. What should I do ? My product key from Certificate of Authenticity label is : J8FHJ-Q6BJM-G6PVD-FWM2B-PW6J8. Thank you very much Peter. ...

SBS 2008 Fax Sent Items Not showing all faxes sent
Hello, I need to allow sent faxes to be seen by all users. I have Windows XP and Windows 7 64bit client machines. Currently they can only see their sent faxes. In SBS 2003 they were able to see all sent faxes. Any suggestions? Could you create an Outlook rule based on the fax sent acknowledgement that copied the fax to a public folder? "RodSoh" <RodSoh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A4541A0E-18C2-4A83-A13D-8E7D045C29E8@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > I need to allow sent faxes to be seen by all users. I have Windows XP...

All office apps close without warning
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel Hello, I just bought Office 2008 for Mac, and although I love this new version, every application (Word, Excel, etc) close on me (due to an unexpected error) constantly while I'm trying to use them. It results in a loss of data, and has become extremely frustrating for me, since I rely on these apps. I got the newest update to work (12.1.17), but it does NOT clear up the problem. I bought the student license for Office 2008 at my university bookstore, so it is a one-time installation (re-installation is not an option)...

HELP with Office 2004 not loading after installing Adobe Acrobat 7.
Hi, Word, Excel and Powerpoint won�t launch anymore after installing Adobe Acrobat 7. I checked on office/startup and the three folders are empty. All I get is window telling me that app couldn�t launch.. Error reporting. Is there a way to fix this? I don�t want to reinstall OSX. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Office several times to no avail. Entourage launches fine. Thanks, AJ There are troubleshooting techniques linked from this page, work through them: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/macoffice/ see General Troubleshooting and Troubleshooting for Office 2004 If they get to the splash sc...

start IE in protected mode
I have vbscript that starts IE with Set oIE = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application"). How do I do the same but in protected mode? Thank, LJB IE "Protected Mode" is only available and on by default in Vista and up because it is based on new security features in those OSs. "LJB" wrote: > I have vbscript that starts IE with Set oIE = > CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application"). How do I do the same but in > protected mode? > > Thank, > LJB > > > . > LikeToCode wrote: > IE &quo...

i have office basic 2003,does IRM work with basic?
i have office basic 2003,does IRM work with basic? and how do i get it to work Office basic? Standard Edition? Small Business Edition? Small Business Management Edition? IRM? Information Resource Management? "Oola" <Oola@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B52FCE24-0C62-4D47-9F0B-548290487BEE@microsoft.com... >i have office basic 2003,does IRM work with basic? and how do i get it to >work Information Rights Management depends on having a Windows 2003 server with the IRM bits installed. Since Office Basic comes with OEM computers, I will presume tha...

Best book for learning MFC/VC 7.1 for developing rich GUI apps ?
Hi, I am a C/C++ developer of quite a few yesrs, although I am relatively new to Windows (Unix background). I am about to begin work on a project that would require me to develop several GUI rich frontend applications. I would like to hear from developers ou there if there is a book they would recommend, to help me hit the ground running - i.e. a book that is NOT an introductory text on programming/C++ but rather one that dives straight in and shows how to create front ends (possibly widgets etc) - using the VC IDE, one that covers all I need to know about MFC to start working on a re...

Start DB when not connected to network
Scenario: Currently calling the function SynchronizeDBs in the On Open Event of the Start-up form. The function is called out as follows: =SynchronizeDBs("C:\Documents and Settings\...\IDB HubR1.mdb","\\ww007\...IDB Hub.mdb",1) The function code is: Function SynchronizeDBs(strDBName As String, strSyncTargetDB As String, _ intSync As Integer) Dim dbs As DAO.Database Set dbs = DBEngine(0).OpenDatabase(strDBName) Select Case intSync Case 1 'Synchronize replicas (bidirectional exchange). dbs.Synchronize strSyncTargetDB, dbRepImpExpChanges Case 2 'Synch...

best way to connect a brach office
What is the best way to connect to a branch office say of 10 users to the main server .. In addition the branch office wants all outlook email functionaliy... is it going to be the laptop client assigned to each user, which means every branch user nees to sync individually ?!?!?!? ? i hope not.. Please advise.. ...

Running Office 2001 on Mac OS 10.2, help
This might be a dumb question, but I don't want to screw things up. I was running Mac OS 9.0.4 and I downloaded OS 9.1, 9.1.2, 9.2.2 and then the new 10.2. However, all my software is still in the 9.1 classic. I want to use it all in the new OS 10.2. Will Office 2001 Academic Edition work in OS 10.2? Do I need to uninstall it in OS 9.1 first, then install it is OS 10.2? Or, can I just drag and drop it on the 10.2 desktop or in the applications folder? I have a lot of other expensive softwares in OS 9.1 that I don't want to have to upgrade, but need to be able to use in OS 10.2. Wi...

Saving Monthly Accounts and starting a new Month?
Hi Everyone, I really enjoy the Access Database System it has helped me a lot with my accounts but I must be doing something wrong because, I keep opening new databases for each month instead of it following on from the previous month and using the same "Categories!." So my question is How do I save the previous month and let it be stored, and start a new month on the same system or page but without adding up what has been put in the system... If you know what I`m on about. Thank you Angeldelight... melting in the UK weather :) Hard to advise without some info ...

Upgrade from 2004>2006 Advice plz
I like the free support which is running out for 2004 and will bite the bullet and go to 2006 deluxe. Any hints? (I remember that 2005 was a total mess) Thanks I have 2004 and it doesn't run out to 2007, that is when I'll upgrade. "jnsaunders" <jnsaunders@aol.net> wrote in message news:%23NFKjriPGHA.3016@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... >I like the free support which is running out for 2004 and will bite the >bullet and go to 2006 deluxe. > > Any hints? (I remember that 2005 was a total mess) I skipped 2005 and am satisfied with 2006. Of course, it d...

Change the icon on Microsoft apps files?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0012_01CA9CFE.DD0ACFE0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Can anyone tell me how to change the icon on a Microsoft file/shortcut = -- for example, an excel spreadsheet or MCE recording? ------=_NextPart_000_0012_01CA9CFE.DD0ACFE0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META con...

xp desktop and start button missin
cant get into to windows even in safe mode have to go to task manager to open anytgin In task mgr,locate "new task",type: cmd In cmd type: CHKDSK C: After,you may want to type: Sfc /Scannow Install xp cd,exit the menu page.Once its thru,remove xp cd,type: CHKDSK C: /F Agree to restart,type: EXIT Restart pc. "jen" wrote: > cant get into to windows even in safe mode have to go to task manager to open > anytgin ...

C#, .net 3.5sp1 and Visual Studio 2008 sp1 errors list
What kind of errors will the errors list show when using C# 3.5sp1 with Visual Studio 2008sp1? "Andy B." <a_borka@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:%23tmIzu4vKHA.404@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > What kind of errors will the errors list show when using C# 3.5sp1 with > Visual Studio 2008sp1? e Why would you expect any? On the face of it vs 2008 sp1 will target .Net framework 3.5 sp1 by default. Andy B. wrote: > What kind of errors will the errors list show when using C# 3.5sp1 with > Visual Studio 2008sp1? That all depends on what ki...

Can not start MS exchange MTA stack Event ID120
Source : MSExchangeMTA categories: Configuration Event ID: 120 Unable to initailize due to missing or dammaged configuration files the ASN.1 template file 14 is either missing or corrupt. Reload a new copy from Installed CD. What does it mean? It mean my install cd rom is dammage ,right? Any one can tell me. thanks yim_cm@hotmail.com (Thana) wrote: >Source : MSExchangeMTA >categories: Configuration >Event ID: 120 > Unable to initailize due to missing or dammaged configuration files >the ASN.1 template file 14 is either missing or corrupt. Reload a new >copy from I...

How to know which mfc.dlls are needed to run my app
When I build a .exe using MFC, it won't run unless it can access the proper .dlls (mfc32d.dll, etc.). How can I find which .dlls I need to include when I want to install my software on another computer? First of all, if your application is complaining about a missing mfc DLL that has a "d" on the end of the name then you need to rebuild your application using the Release build. The debug DLLs are not, nor should they be, redistributable. Next, you can run the depends.exe utility to identify what DLLs your application requires. It will show you ALL the DLLs that are needed to...

SLOW connection on initial startup
When I startup Outlook and enter username/password to connect to Exchange Server, it takes approx. 5 minutes to connect and update folders. It only happens at work, and only on the initial connection. I leave the app running in the taskbar all day and subsequent updates (every minute or so) are fine. This does NOT happen from home or any other location. We recently switched ISP's from SBC DSL to a T1 line from a small ISP here in the building. Any thoughts on what could be causing this? ...

can't see text in any office files anymore
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel on my macbookpro: can't see text in any office files anymore (word, powerpoint, excel). only when using preview function from OSX. <br> what's wrong??? <br> do I have to re-install the all suite? any quick fix? ...

Office X 'clean' reinstall: delete all old files?
I'm about to try installing the latest bug-fix collection, sorry. "security update" for Office X, 10.1.6. I'm hoping it might reduce the frequency of Word's charming crashes. Who knows, I might get lucky and it'll even fix the completely messed up 'contact' feature in Word that is grayed out most of the time, but when it decides to work, will only list the 'A's' from my address book. Just useless. Anyway, back to the plot: since my Office X is so bent out of shape, I figure I'll do a 'clean install' from the original disk first, then...

Compatability of Powerpoint 2008 with 2004
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I "upgraded" to Office 2008 and am having problems viewing Powerpoint slides that I created with 2004 version previously even though they are saved as 2004. Some images are blank or blacked out. In one case, when I replaced the images and then sent the presentation to a colleague who uses MAc with Office 2004 it was fine on his computer but when he sent back to me, again images were blank or black. I need to exchange files frequently with people using the older version so it will not be adequate to just fix thi...

How to uninstall Outlook 2000 from Office 2000
I have installed MS Office on my PC but would now like to uninstall Outlook only from that installation . I know this can be done using the Installation CD but have forgotten just exactly how to go about it . Can anyone refresh my memory in this, please ? victory@iol.ie wrote: > I have installed MS Office on my PC but would now like to uninstall > Outlook only from that installation . > > I know this can be done using the Installation CD but have forgotten > just exactly how to go about it . > > Can anyone refresh my memory in this, please ? Add/R...