Office 2004 won't reinstall

As soon as I installed Leopard, my Office 2004 apps stopped working. I had never uninstalled Office X and I found that I could still use those apps, although I could *not* double-click on a doc and open it directly. I had to open the app, then choose "open" to get to docs. This was inconvenient, but I dealt with it whilst I looked online and tried to figure out what was going on with 2004. I found a lot of info about how installing Leopard messes up permissions, so I used disk utility to repair permissions. I checked that I had read & write privileges for Office 2004, and I checked that all files and folders were in their correct places. (The error message that popped up whenever I tried to open an Office app claimed that this was the problem, but it wasn't.)

BTW, my computer is a G4 desktop, purchased in Sept. 2002.

Office X is old and my temporary fix of using it didn't work for long. At first, it kept crashing, and then it simply stopped opening altogether. It was not giving me the same error message as 2004; it was just quitting unexpectedly each time I tried to open an app. Now I had NO access to any of my Office docs and it became desperate for me to solve the problem.

I started by deleting every trace of Office X & 2004 from my computer and then trying to re-install Office 2004 from the CD. I tried 5 times and each time Set-Up Assistant quit on me. I tried to just drag the folder to my HD but it barely started the transfer and an error message popped up that it could not continue. I then installed Office 2004 on my boyfriend's new MacBook and the installation went flawlessly and the apps work fine, so there is nothing wrong with my Office 2004 CD.

I phoned Apple support and they suggested I clean the CD. That didn't help -- there is nothing wrong with the CD. They then walked me through some checks for my computer and it passed. It is a complete mystery why I can't reinstall Office 2004. As a grad student, I have papers due and not being able to open any docs is a nightmare. I need to be able to re-install Office 2004 immediately. This is very frustrating.

On 2/17/08 7:54 AM, in article ee8dc60.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"Rowena@officeformac.com" <Rowena@officeformac.com> wrote:

> As soon as I installed Leopard, my Office 2004 apps stopped working.

How did you install Leopard? There are 3 types of installs:

1. Upgrade Mac OS X (the default upgrade method)*
2. Archive and Install
3. Erase and Install

* Just because it's the default doesn't mean it's the best option. If you
used the upgrade method, you are among many that are experiencing problems.

This page describes what each method does:

Options to Install Leopard
<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/faq_topic/leo_options.html>

Did you install 10.5.2 through Software Updater or did you use the Combo
updater?

> I started by deleting every trace of Office X & 2004 from my computer and then
> trying to re-install Office 2004 from the CD.

When you reinstalled, did you use "Remove Office" or just drag to the trash?

> I phoned Apple support and they suggested I clean the CD. That didn't help --
> there is nothing wrong with the CD. They then walked me through some checks
> for my computer and it passed. It is a complete mystery why I can't reinstall
> Office 2004. As a grad student, I have papers due and not being able to open
> any docs is a nightmare. I need to be able to re-install Office 2004
> immediately. This is very frustrating.

It's pretty obvious there is a problem on YOUR computer. It might be easier
to wipe it and re-install everything fresh. Backup your data to a separate
HD and bring over data only after you re-install Leopard.

--
Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)

diane7495 (1195)
2/18/2008 12:07:23 AM
I used the default upgrade installation & Software Updater. I used "Remove Office" and I double-checked to make sure all Office-related files had been trashed, and I emptied the trash before re-installing.

I ordered a LaCie HD from Amazon. As soon as it arrives, I will back up my data and re-install Leopard and see if that helps.

Thank you for your response.
On 2/17/08 4:27 PM, in article ee8dc60.1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"Rowena@officeformac.com" <Rowena@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I used the default upgrade installation & Software Updater. I used "Remove
> Office" and I double-checked to make sure all Office-related files had been
> trashed, and I emptied the trash before re-installing.

The upgrade installation for Leopard has been notorious for creating
problems like you experienced.

> I ordered a LaCie HD from Amazon. As soon as it arrives, I will back up my
> data and re-install Leopard and see if that helps.

I think you will be very happy. May I suggest SuperDuper!. You can use it to
clone your HD for free, but the full options are really worth the cost.

One of the options in SuperDuper! is to create what the author calls a
"Sandbox". It's used to revert to pre-update state of your OS. Here's a
description of how this option works:

A Sandbox is a bootable copy of your system, stored on another hard drive or
partition, that shares your personal documents and data with the original.
With SuperDuper!, you actually use the Sandbox as your startup volume. You
can safely install any system updates, drivers or programs in the Sandbox,
without worrying about what might happen to your system. If anything goes
wrong, you can simply start up from the original system. SuperDuper! has
preserved it in its original, pre-disaster state but all your new and
changed personal documents are totally up to date. Within minutes, you're up
and running again without having to go through a difficult and
time-consuming restore process.

SuperDuper! Is $27.95. I�m not affiliated with the product. Just a satisfied
user.  <http://www.shirt-pocket.com/>

--
Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)

diane7495 (1195)

How zoom/increase font size of Office 2004 "Help" text?
Font sizes can be set for Word, Excel and Entourage. You also can zoom in to enlarge the View of text in Office 2004 components� documents. How does one do this with the small-font text in Help? Respectfully, Norm On 9/14/04 1:36 AM, in article BD6BFBA9.49F3%nnager@vnoxsxpxaxmv.fullerton.edu, "Norman R. Nager, Ph.D." <nnager@vnoxsxpxaxmv.fullerton.edu> wrote: > Font sizes can be set for Word, Excel and Entourage. You also can zoom in > to enlarge the View of text in Office 2004 components� documents. > > How does one do this with the small-font text in Help...

CRM & Office 2007
Hello I was wondering if there is any way to synchronize CRM and Office 2007 programs, more specifically Office Accounting 2007. I read something about a rollup 2 for CRM, but I am not sure if that is what I need. If it IS what I need, could you provide the link to the download site please? Thanks, S.R. Hi SR, There is nothing regarding office accounting 2007 sycronization in Rollup 2. And I dont think there is any built in sycronization tool from Microsoft for this purpose. There may be some addons from third parties like one of them is: http://gurangosoft.com/default.aspx Or you may ...

Import gif to Word or PowerPoint 2004
After inserting a gif-graphic into a Word or PowerPoint-file, then saving, closing and opening the file again, I get instead of the graphic a black box. Any hints? I use MacOSX.3.4 and I just updated my office to mac-office 2004. In mac-office X I did not have this problems. Thanks Florian ...

Trouble Restoring Backup of Money 2002 to 2004
Let's continue the conversation on restoring backups a little bit. My HD crashed so I decided to upgrade to Money 2004 on the new disk. But now I can't restore my old data that goes back years. When I double click on the old mny or mbf files Money 2004 locks after trying to convert for a few seconds. Even the floppy backup I had will not work becuase the floopy can't be read for some reason. Am I screwed? Your thoughts are valued! Bob Can you copy the backup floppy to your hard disk? Try that and then try restoring from there. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP -...

Office 2007 Suite
I purchased Office 2007 suite through my compnay home use program. I purchased a download and a disk to be sent to my home. All this, of course, is for my home use. I have two desk tops and one lap top at home. Out of the two things I purchased I received one key number. Can I load what I purchased on all three machines and be able to have them activated? Thanks. Nope, ONE machine is all the Home Use program provides for. Penny wrote: > I purchased Office 2007 suite through my compnay home use program. I > purchased a download and a disk to be sent to my home. A...

Can't Uninstall 2004 to Install 2005
I installed 2004 Deluxe via web download. I have bought the 2005 Deluxe installation CD. When trying to install 2005, it recommends that 2004 be uninstalled and offers to do it for me. The uninstallation stops when it cannot find the money.msi file anywhere. I don't have this file on my computer anymore (not sure if I ever had it). I would like to cleanly uninstall 2004 to install 2005. Any suggestions? In microsoft.public.money, Ted Medler wrote: >I installed 2004 Deluxe via web download. I have bought >the 2005 Deluxe installation CD. > >When trying to install 2...

2004 to 2005
2005 created alot of bogus duplicate accounts with negative balances and e-pay and a-pay are not an option any longer in pay bills even though billpay is active. Been on the phone with tech support 4 times in the last week last time they said they'd call back with an answer--it's been 3 days. Anyone have any ideas? I'm a longtime user of money and like it but 2005 has really messed things up. Tech support has created alot of backups on my comp. hard to tell if I have any good ones anymore. Thanks Sorry for the duplicate but error came up on posting and said to "try...

OWA and ISA 2004
We are migrating from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003. We have about 150 Users of which only 80 are in the main office and the rest work from home/on the road. Many of them were useing OWA in Exchange 5.5 for email. In the new envoirnment we are considering putting an ISA 2004 server in our DMZ and connecting this directly to our Exchange server on the Internal LAN. (No Front End Exchange Server) Is this option recomended from a security/performance perspective? We do not really want the expense of an additional Front End Exchange server if it is not really needed. The alternative wou...

Money 2004 Install Wizard won't come back :(
I need to find out how to get the initial setup wizard to run. I was going through the initial set up of accounts, but had to stop. I closed Money, assuming that it would save to that point and re-open to where I was. But now when I start money, it does not give me the wizard. It opens to the program home page. I tried uninstalling the program (not that much was entered, so it was no big thing), but it still opens on the money home page when I re-install and open it again. What do I need to do to get it to start fresh???? Please help. Thanks Remove the "FOUR YOU" in my emai...

How do I set up an out of office auto response?
Hi: I'm a new user to Outlook and I was trying to initiate an "out of office response"/auto reply for one of my colleagues. Can you help me out? Thank you so much. JenniferC <JenniferC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi: > I'm a new user to Outlook and I was trying to initiate an "out of > office response"/auto reply for one of my colleagues. Can you help > me out? Thank you so much. http://www.slipstick.com/rules/autoreply.htm -- Brian Tillman Yet another stupid question what is the OOA & how do I enable it? "Brian Tillman&qu...

Office Document Connection
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel No matter how many times I click "save my password in keychain" it always asks me for my password when I open up the document connection. Additionally, when I click "new file" , then edit the file and save it does not save to the location I was on the SharePoint site but locally. Other than that great work, this saves me so much time, I can't wait to have it fully integrated in Office! There might be a problem with the Keychain database. Open Keychain Access, then click on Keychain>Keych...

office 2003 #2
I recently installed office 2003 on a network for a company. When trying to insert a picture into an excel file, and then printing, the picture will be distorted. Instead of one picture it becomes 4 small, stretched out pictures as if it smeared, but it didnt. It looks like it skipped 4 times. I've printed out different pictures from different computers from different printers and there is usually one or more distorted pictures. I wouldnt have emailed you in this type of categorie if i didnt think it had to do with the recent installation of office 2003, because these problems ...

Reporting Services error when reinstalling DPM 07
I'm in the process of upgrading DPM 2007 to 2010. I did the O/S upgrade from 2003 to 2008 Server. Now I'm trying to re-install DPM 2007 and I can't get past the prerequisite check. The error is below: Setup has detected that the installation of Reporting Services is not correctly configured or no instance of Reporting Services is linked to of SQL Server. 1)To use the local dedicated MS$DPM2007$ instance with DPM, uninstall SQL Server and run setup again. 2)To use the option of installing DPM with an existing instance of SQL Server, make sure that the Reporting ...

Office XP icons missing on Windows 7 Pro x64
I installed Office XP on a PC running Windows 7 Pro x64. The icons for the various office programs exist, but are blank. When I look at the shortcuts, it doesn't allow me to choose the location of the icon - it's greyed out. I've run windws explorer elevated, but I still can't change the icon location. If I navigate to the Winword.exe location, it has an icon. If I create a new shortcut, that new shortcut also doesn't have an icon. If I try pinning one to the start menu or taskbar, I get the same problem. I also have Outlook 2007 installed, but the icon for thi...

Word 2004 Filenames as autotext
I frequently place file names in footers using AutoText. Suddenly Word is adding "FILENAME" before my file name. There are also a grayed-out box before and after the text. So "file.doc" is now "FILENANE file.doc." How do I get Word to just add the file name without "FILENAME" and these boxes? I've been using Word since it was first introduced. Sometimes I think that this program has just become far too cumbersome. Thanks for your help. E. Volchok In article <1180564378.495744.312060@h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, edvolchok@nyc.rr.com wrot...

Drivers for Dongle keep having to be reinstalled after reboot
Everytime the POS station is rebooted the dongle drivers get uninstalled. The user gets the copyprotection error message and they have to reinstall the drivers. Any ideas? Bradley Try logging on as Administrator to install the driver. Tom -- Stop fishing for e-mail "Bradley" wrote: > Everytime the POS station is rebooted the dongle drivers get uninstalled. > The user gets the copyprotection error message and they have to reinstall the > drivers. > > Any ideas? > > Bradley Tried that ... Didn't work. "Terrible Tom" wrote: > Try ...

Need to totaly reinstall outlook
My outlook does not work and I tried to reinstall it but every time old setting are coming back Did you uninstall Outlook using Control Panel--->Add/Remove Programs method and then reboot before reinstalling? MJ wrote: > My outlook does not work and I tried to reinstall it but every time old > setting are coming back Version of OL? Which settings are you refering to? What *exact* err msgs are you getting? "MJ" <MJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C901E275-ABD9-4A2F-B788-4685B6F6AF9A@microsoft.com... > My outlook does not work and I tried to rei...

How to run Office:Mac on a PC?
For better support of Mac users, I want to run Office:Mac on a PC. Though I know about PearPC http://pearpc.sourceforge.net, I did not yet give it a try. Are there other solutions available? Many thanks for all hints and explanations, Thomas Hi Thomas, as far as I know, there aren't that many solutions to run Mac OS X on PCs. I have heard of PearPC, but I don't think that you can legally run Mac OS X on a non-Apple computer; if I remember correctly, the license agreement states that you are supposed to run OS X on Apple hardware only. Also, since you can only buy Mac OS X for Power...

Damaged Fonts with Office 2004?
When I run FontDoctor or Extensis Suitcase's font diagnostic/repair program, six fonts that come with MS Office 2004 are reported to be damaged. The message indicates that the resource fork for the following fonts is damaged: MS Gothic.ttf MS Mincho.ttf MS PGothic.ttf MS PMincho.ttf PMingLiU.ttf SimSun.ttf These fonts come this way on the Office 2004 CD. Are these fonts actually damaged, or is this just some quirk of FontDoctor and Suitcases' diagnostic treatment of Windows Truetype fonts? ...

cannot turn on out of office assistant
does anyone know how to get the out of office assistant to work in outlook 2002? i have followed all of the troubleshooting and have downloaded all the available updates and nothing works. I would really like to get this to work before i go on vacation! please help!!! Are you connected to an Exchange Server? If not you will not have that option. If you're not on Exchange you can emulate it. See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;248830 OL2000: (IMO) How to Emulate the Out of Office Assistant http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260987...

how to copy and paste office 2007
new to office how do I copy and paste This works the same as in previous versions. Just select the contents, press Ctrl+C to copy and Ctrl+V to paste. For more options when pasting, use the Paste Special dialog box (click Home tab | Paste Special). -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "jamiejames" <jamiejames@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E818A730-B744-4D98-8065-9D627B41279E@microsoft.com... > new to office how do I copy and paste There are several ways, but the way I find easiest is to define the text you want to copy, press...

Money 2004 #6
I experienced a problem using Money 2004 that I thought I would check and see if anyone else has experience. Last week, Money 2004 automatically entered bills for August 2004 into my register approximately 1 month ahead of their due date. I tried deleting them to bring the account balance current, and when that didn't work, I tried disabling and re-enabling online services. I only fixed the issue when I actually restored my data from a back up disc from a few days prior to the issue. I just was curious if other users have experience a similiar issue. Thanks! ...

Money 2004 #33
Hi, Please advice. Can I run Money 2004 with Pentium 133 Classic? I've checked that system requirement is at least Pentium 166. What will happen if I decided to go ahead? Thanks, Riglin Nothing disastrous - it will just be very slow. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money Hints/Tips http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny UK Wishes/Suggestions mnyukwsh@microsoft.com "Riglin" <Riglin@quanyin.com> wrote in message news:3ff520dc_1@news.tm.net.my... > Hi, Please advice. Can I run Money 2004 with Pentium 133 Classic? I've >...

Front-End Server? and ISA 2004
Hi Quick question - we are upgrading two exchange 2000 servers to 2003. At the moment we have no front end server and OWA is published for each server seperately through ISA 2000. This was done to avoid the cost of another Exchange server for a front end. I would like to have a single page using Forms Authentication for OWA - I have been told that ISA 2004 does this - or does it? Does ISA 2004 act as a frontend server? will I have to configure a front-end exchange server for this to work or have separate OWA login pages for each server? On 25 Nov 2004 18:47:07 -0800, ajmarriott@xtra.co.n...

Office 2004
When I try to launch finder to open a saved document in word 2004, excel 2004 or powerpoint 2004, Finder takes a ling time to launch. Any ideas why this is happening? Powerbook G4 1GB RAM Office 2004 20GB HDD Free ________________ Chetan Ullal Hi Chetan, You mean the File | Open dialog takes a long time to come up? (I'm not sure whether Open/Save dialogs are actually the Finder) Or are you actually switching over to the Finder, and it takes a long time to let you do anything? Do you have an iDisk from .mac, by any chance? I think iDisk has been connected to slow Open/Save dialogs....