Office 2004 vs Home Directory refresh script

Environment: college student lab

Quick problem descriptive: it takes two consecutive 'student' logins for
Office 2004 (Word/Excel/PP) to run without error on a 'student' account
using Bombich's (www.bombich.com) refresh home directory script as login
script.

Symptoms: On a lab client, Office 2004 will fail on the first 'student'
login with an error suggesting an HIToolbox problem. This will occur after
a startup or restart or when preceding the 'student' login with any other
login (ie: admin). While in the first 'student' login, any component of
Office 2004 does NOT need to be attempted for it to work on the second
login. It always works on the second consecutive 'student' login and will
continue to work.

I have run permissions repair, looked at created/modified dates, deleted
preferences, cleaned caches. Whatever the interaction between Microsoft
and the system eludes me as to this error particularly since it is
resolved on a second login without any obvious preceding Microsoft
interaction.

Suggestions...

0
dan7835 (1)

moskalyd <dan@humboldt.edu> wrote:

> Environment: college student lab
>
> Quick problem descriptive: it takes two consecutive 'student' logins for
> Office 2004 (Word/Excel/PP) to run without error on a 'student' account
> using Bombich's (www.bombich.com) refresh home directory script as login
> script.

If I quite understand Mike's script, it replaces a home directory with a
fresh copy from a template, right ?? Then you tell us you have to login
twoce on this fresh account before Office 2004 can run properly, right
too ??

Could it be something wrong in the template account you have ???
When does the script run actually ?? Maybe it does indeed need an
additional logout and log-back in before it can be properly validated by
the system...

        Corentin

--
                    --- Mac:MS MVP (Francophone) ---
korventeen (753)

Office 2004 update 11.3.9 weirdness
Installed Office 2004 update 11.3.9 when microsoft auto update pushed it down this morning. Any idea why it changed the name of my hard drive to "v bc"? Any idea what to do about that? mac book pro, OSX 10.4.10 In article <1194878374.217619.309200@19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com>, pattigibbons@nycap.rr.com wrote: > Installed Office 2004 update 11.3.9 when microsoft auto update pushed > it down this morning. Any idea why it changed the name of my hard > drive to "v bc"? Any idea what to do about that? > > mac book pro, OSX 10.4.10 The Office updat...

Not even Office Live Using Document Connection
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3331376369_11931625 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit While others are saying they can use the SP2 version of Document Connection to Office Live but not Sharepoint I can�t even get connected to my Office Live Workspace which I have been using via the browser for a long time. I can't add my Office LIve Workspace location to Document Connection. The gear just spins and what�s almost as bad it...

Pivottable looses Grouping on refresh
I have a PT which is grouped by month and Years(Column Headers) and Part No.(Row Headers). When I change the source data and click the data refresh button I looses the column grouping and it cannot be regrouped. Anyone know why? TIA johnb Perhaps the source data contains blank cells in the field that was grouped. This will undo the grouping, and prevent you from regrouping. johnb wrote: > I have a PT which is grouped by month and Years(Column > Headers) and Part No.(Row Headers). When I change the > source data and click the data refresh button I looses the > column gro...

Scripting to existing application
Hi, I am wondering if anyone would point me in the right direction towards adding VBScript and Javascript to my existing application, it is heavily object and event based. I have several major classes, for example CAvatar which contains 100 or so methods and variables in it and CBot which likewise has an equal number, I also have a CTypedPtrList which stores a linked list of CAvatar* objects. Could someone introduce me to a method (if it is infact possible) of starting to expose these objects to the microsoft scripting environment. On a yet more difficult note... would it be possible ...

Russian menu for Office mac
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel How to enable Russian menu and toolbars for Office mac. When i choised Russian in Language dialog, i got message "install russian proofing tools". How can i get this tools? Mac Office doesn't have native language menus & toolbars for anything other than the language version you purchase. If you want Russian menus, etc. you need to purchase the Russian version [I'm pretty sure there is one.]. Also, I don't believe Russian proofing tools are included with the English version of Mac Office. There...

Out of office #19
MS OFFICE 2000 SR Pro How do I set up an "Out of office"message on Outlook 2000? All info please! If you don't connect to an Exchange server, there is no automatic out of office autoreply. You'd have to spoof it with rules, and note that this means leaving Outlook open, and connected to the internet, for the duration of your absence. See http://www.slipstick.com/rules/index.htm for help. Also see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=196718 - it explains how to set up a template so that autoreply fires only once per sender (as Out of Office does) to avoid mail loops. Spence ...

What Level of Cryptography does MS Office 2010 OneNote offer?
The availability of Passwords in OneNote is commendable, however; what good is a Password if there is no Encryption/Cryptography behind it? So far, I have not been able to find any mention of Encryption for OneNote. Perhaps I am expecting too much? Perhaps OneNote relies on the Binary nature of its File Format for Encryption? Can anyone confirm the existence of some form of Cryptography like: AES, Blowfish, etc.? If OneNote does use Cryptography, what "Bit Level" (128, 256, etc.) is available? Thanks for any help. JWheat wrote: > The availability of Password...

how do I log into my work email from home
how do I log into my work email from home Ask your work email Admin. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, blampani asked: | how do I log into my work email from home ...

Roaming Office Errors for Network Users
We have had ongoing issues with Word and Excel, both v.X and 2004. In Word, the problem is usually a Disk Full error, with Excel it is usually a Document not Saved error when the user saves. Our users are network accounts on Xserves running 10.4.9 and clients are both PPC and X86 Macs, running 10.4.7 - 10.4.9. All user IDs are unique and managed via Open Directory. The problems arise typically after the user has been working with the file for some time. In the Word situation, the error pops up unexpectedly, while the Excel error only pops up on a save. In both cases, Word and Excel f...

Microsoft CRM 3.0 and Active Directory Application Mode (ADAM)
Does anyone know if you can use Active Directory Application Mode (ADAM) with MS CRM 3.0 in place of Active Directory? The only thing that I've found is that according to Microsoft, "ADAM is designed for use with directory-enabled applications that support Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) v2 or LDAP v3." http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/adam/ADAMfaq.mspx Thanks in advance. No this will not work. ============================== John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.crowecrm.com "snowcrash2k" <snowcrash2k@discussions.microsoft...

Computer Password Displays as Company Name on Startup Screen of Office Programs
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel When I start up an office program (doesn't matter which one), the password that is set up for the computer account displays as the company name under the "This Product Licensed to:" line. I went into the Preferences of Word to delete the company name (which was the password) but it still displays. I also reinstalled Office to see if it would give me a chance to input the data, but it didn't...and the password still displays on start up. Does anyone know how I can change this so the log-on password is no...

Ctrl-H crashing Excel 2002 fixed by Office XP SP3.
In thread "Ctrl-H crashes Excel 2002", a couple of dozen threads before this one, I reported that, in Excel 2002 without Service Packs applied: After you do a search by Values (as opposed to Formulas), henceforth Ctrl-H crashes Excel. (You could prevent that by reassigning Ctrl-H to a macro.) Thanks to Mike Mendelson & Dave Peterson, I found that Office XP SP3 fixes the problem. (I don't know which SP fixed the bug--1, 2, or 3.) Now, Ctrl-H brings up the Search dialog without crashing. *** ...

will office 2004 and/or v.X run under Snow Leopard w/ Rosetta?

scan source vs. tech data vs. bluestar
Which is better? Which one provides better pricing? What about better tech support? Shipping times and fees? Best product lineup? Best sales support? Which are you using and why? David Bluestar gives me amazing customer service. As long as they are competitive on pricing I will give them my business "dh" <dh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:39E1D5CB-23D3-49FB-B9B8-BC855A75FB2D@microsoft.com... > Which is better? > Which one provides better pricing? > What about better tech support? > Shipping times and fees? > Best product lineup? > Bes...

outlook vs oe default
ok, so I have outlook 2003 installed as my (admin user) default email. the other user (limited) uses oe, no problem. however, when other user attempts to right click pics to "send to mail receipient" it opens a outlook new message window and when send is clicked it never reaches its destination (presumably as outlook is not default client for this user) what to do? thanks and I forgot to mention (if I need to) that I cant change the oe for the limited user to default mail client since, I guess, the user is limited. the change doesnt take. if I were to change it by run...

Microsoft Office 11.2 update broke help?
I recently installed service pack 2 to Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac, and now Help doesn't work in any of the Office applications. Search works, but Home, Contents, Index, etc. all pop a dialog box: "Could not display the help topic." Has anyone else seen this? How can I fix it? I tried re-installing the original Office 11, but the problem persisted. I called Microsoft technical support. Once I rebooted my computer, help worked again. How strange. I did learn that the preferences are stored in ~/Library/Preferences/{com.microsoft.*,Microsoft}. Hi, If rebooting does n...

Conditional Formatting (Date vs Number)
I have a spreadsheet that is calculating intervals for equipment maintenance. Some of the equipment must be serviced every x months, some of the equipment must be serviced every x hours (of run time). I have all the calculations worked out. The problem I am having is with conditional formatting. In column A I have text that says either "HOURS" or "MONTHS". Based on the value of that cell, I need Column B to be formatted as either a Date (to return the date of the next service) or as a Number (to return the hours till next service). Any ideas on how to do that? Conditional...

Home an asset account
Hi, I had bought a house recently. I donot know how to setup asset account for this house. Already I had set up loan account as liability account. But this asset account i.e. Home will not have any transactions but just the purchase price or market value. Can I add expenses and improvements to this asset account. And By the way who to set up a balance sheet for this two so that I can not my equity in the house or for taxation purposes my net expenditures which I can show as Business Expenses? -- Chanikya you did not indicate which version of money you have. for version ms06, go to pla...

Microsoft Office 2010
If I'm in the wrong newsgroup I apologize, but I cannot find one for subject application. Microsoft had a free program to enable people who did not have 2007 installed on their computer to read it. Now I'm looking for a similar program to enable me to be able to read 2010 and can't find anything. Any suggestions? Ellin On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 19:50:41 -0400, Ellin wrote: > If I'm in the wrong newsgroup I apologize, but I cannot find one for > subject application. Microsoft had a free program to enable people who > did not have 2007 installed on the...

switching from express to MS Office Outlook
At home I have always used Outlook Express as my email program. When clicking on a "contact us" link on a website, either yahoo or MS Office Outlook opens up as default (depending on which one I choose in set up). TWO QUESTIONS: 1) Why can't I choose outlook express as the default email program in set up? (it doesn't appear as an option) 2) Why won't MS Office Outlook send or receive mail? If I DO choose MS Office Outlook as the default program it still won't connect. "I" <mr_jerky_maker@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:13dusstlophngfd@c...

Running Access 2000 database with Office 97 on W XP.
Would appreciate guidance on how to run an Access 2000 database on a PC running Windows XP/Office 97 (Access 97). Does it have to be redeveloped in Access 97, or can it be converted to a runtime? The application dynamically attaches tables, which I'm not sure you can do with a runtime version. Thanks ...

Syncing exchange e-mails @ home and @ work

crash when launching any office 2004 app on MacBook pro
dear all, when I launch any office 2004 application on my MacBook pro, its icon appears in the dock, and instantly disappear. even installation assistant & office updates behave the same. symptoms are the same as described here: http://www.macfixitforums.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=OfficeX&Number=831099&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1 i suspect the rosetta system because LaunchCFMApp (/System/Library/ Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/Current/Support/LaunchCFMApp) segfaults when launched from the shell. MacOSX 10.4.10 (with combo update v1.1) tha...

Active Directory Help
Hi, Guys i deployed domain controller in an environment of approx 300 pcs, when i start to join users in domain. i come across some errors, which are as follows: 1) some times when joining domain, the error "the domain controller does not exist or could not be contacted" comes and pc is unable to join domain. 2) after joining domain, when i try to change the user password, then the user hangs and password changes after taking a lot of time. usually 15 to 20 minutes. The computer is taking all the policies i applied in default domain policy. Kindly give me suggesti...

Combine / Join / Merge office tables of different sizes
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I'm looking for an easy way to combine / join / merge two different word tables that are different sizes. It happens to me all the time -- the top table and the bottom table have the same number of columns, the sizes are close, but not exactly the same. When you delete the paragraph mark between the two, they merge, but not quite properly. There is a dark line between the two tables and you cant adjust properties for the combined table. I would just make the tables the same size before the combine, but often that is...