Office 2004 on Intel works, for a while, then apps will not launch

Hello all!

I searched previous posts extensively before posting. But my problem
does not seem to come from corrupted fonts or preferences.

Problem : Office apps work fine after a reboot, but eventually, I
become unable to relaunch them. I have to reboot again to get them to
work.

Details : MacBook Pro, 1gig of ram. Office 2004 11.2.6. OS 10.4.7.
 I'll open Entourage, work a bit, close it, and then I can't open it
anymore. The splash screen does not even appear completely (white
rectangle).

Console gives :

*****
Date/Time:      2006-08-09 12:03:11.089 -0400
OS Version:     10.4.7 (Build 8J2135)
Report Version: 4

Command: Microsoft Entourage
Parent:  WindowServer [369]
Rosetta: Yes

Version: 11.2.5 (11.2.5 (060620), =A9 2004 Microsoft Corporation.  All
rights reserved.)

PID:    485

Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes:      KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0xffffffa8
..=2E.

Tried : I have deleted the font cache and the carbon registration
database. I have tried a different user on the same machine. I have
reinstalled Office completely. All to no avail...

Help, ideas and moral support will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

0
alexmorin (3)

On 8/10/06 12:58 PM, in article
1155229124.452023.177590@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com, "AlexMorin"
<alexmorin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> I searched previous posts extensively before posting. But my problem
> does not seem to come from corrupted fonts or preferences.
>
> Problem : Office apps work fine after a reboot, but eventually, I
> become unable to relaunch them. I have to reboot again to get them to
> work.
>
> Details : MacBook Pro, 1gig of ram. Office 2004 11.2.6. OS 10.4.7.
>  I'll open Entourage, work a bit, close it, and then I can't open it
> anymore. The splash screen does not even appear completely (white
> rectangle).
>
> Console gives :
>
> *****
> Date/Time:      2006-08-09 12:03:11.089 -0400
> OS Version:     10.4.7 (Build 8J2135)
> Report Version: 4
>
> Command: Microsoft Entourage
> Parent:  WindowServer [369]
> Rosetta: Yes
>
> Version: 11.2.5 (11.2.5 (060620), � 2004 Microsoft Corporation.  All
> rights reserved.)
>
> PID:    485
>
> Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
> Codes:      KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0xffffffa8
>

> Tried : I have deleted the font cache and the carbon registration
> database. I have tried a different user on the same machine. I have
> reinstalled Office completely. All to no avail...
>
> Help, ideas and moral support will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Have you repaired permissions? Was office test drive ever installed? If so,
did you use remove office before installing (or reinstalling) office 2004?

Quit all Office apps. Then use Activity monitor to Quit Database Daemon.
Then empty the trash and try again. What happens?

--
Bob Greenblatt [MVP], Macintosh
bobgreenblattATmsnDOTcom

0
bob6686 (387)
8/10/2006 5:19:39 PM
Bob Greenblatt wrote:
> Have you repaired permissions?

Yes I have. Repaired the file system as well.

> Was office test drive ever installed?

No, never. I made sure it was unselected when installing OS X. I did
let the OS X installer copy over all my Apps from my previous Powerbook
G4, including my Off2k4 install. That may be a part of the problem.
Maybe...

> If so,
> did you use remove office before installing (or reinstalling) office 2004?

No I removed it manualy since the Office installer off the CD did not
seem to offer me an uninstall option. I dug trough the filesystem using
Spotlight to remove all I could find. Not very clean I guess.
So there is an Office uninstaller? Where?

> Quit all Office apps. Then use Activity monitor to Quit Database Daemon.
> Then empty the trash and try again. What happens?

I'll try that as soon as possible. What do you want me to trash?

> --
> Bob Greenblatt [MVP], Macintosh
> bobgreenblattATmsnDOTcom

Thanks for the tips!

0
alexmorin (3)
8/10/2006 6:08:19 PM
On 8/10/06 11:08 AM, in article
1155233299.392312.322370@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com, "AlexMorin"
<alexmorin@gmail.com> wrote:

>> If so,
>> did you use remove office before installing (or reinstalling) office 2004?
>
> No I removed it manualy since the Office installer off the CD did not
> seem to offer me an uninstall option. I dug trough the filesystem using
> Spotlight to remove all I could find. Not very clean I guess.
> So there is an Office uninstaller? Where?

In the Microsoft Office 2004 folder / Additional Tools folder. (It's also in
the same place on the CD.) That's what you need, and why you're having
problems. Run Remove Office, then empty the trash, then reinstall again from
the CD, then apply updates.

--
Paul Berkowitz
MVP MacOffice

Please "Reply To Newsgroup" to reply to this message. Emails will be
ignored.

PLEASE always state which version of Microsoft Office you are using -
**2004**, X  or 2001. It's often impossible to answer your questions
otherwise.

0
berkowit (221)
8/10/2006 6:34:23 PM
Paul Berkowitz wrote:
> In the Microsoft Office 2004 folder / Additional Tools folder. (It's also in
> the same place on the CD.) That's what you need, and why you're having
> problems. Run Remove Office, then empty the trash, then reinstall again from
> the CD, then apply updates.
>

> --
> Paul Berkowitz
> MVP MacOffice
> Entourage FAQ Page: <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/faq/index.html>
> AppleScripts for Entourage: <http://macscripter.net/scriptbuilders/>
>
> Please "Reply To Newsgroup" to reply to this message. Emails will be
> ignored.
>
> PLEASE always state which version of Microsoft Office you are using -
> **2004**, X  or 2001. It's often impossible to answer your questions
> otherwise.

Thanks a lot! The symptoms had already subsided before the uninstall,
but now am confident I have a clean install going.
It was weird... Even Office updates downnloaded manualy would not
launch...

Thanks to both of you for your help.

Alex

0
alexmorin (3)

Office read only in outlook only
I am having a problem with Outlook 2002 and a user profile. The user loggs into locations and everwhere she loggs into the Outlook gives her office read only files. She can send the file and it becomes read only. She can send to any user possible but the file comes up as normal. Any user can read the file as normal, but she cannot. she opens the file seperatley it will read regular, but when opened through Outlook it is read only. Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...

Outlook 2003 working with Groupwise client
We are moving our people from Groupwise to Exchange and I am having a horrible time getting the two to work together. We need to keep both clients on the machine for a short time while the switch is done. I installed Outlook 2003 on my workstation running Windows XP and Outlook and Groupwise are happily coexisting. When I tried this on a Windows 2000 machine everything went to crap. I've tried all of the tricks I can think of. I've removed Groupwise and windows messaging and reintalled everything from scratch and no dice. I just keep getting Outlook MAPI errors and messages s...

Rules not working #7
I have a mail profile that I use with one email address that gets a LOT of spam. I have a fair size number of rules (probably 10-15) for categorizing and filtering it, all of them starting wth "Apply this rule after the message arrives". Problem is that most of them only work about half the time. I'll get some messages that were moved to the correct folders, and some similar messages still in the inbox. If I click "Rules Wizard" and the "Run Now" button, selecting all the rules, it moves the ones still in the inbox to the correct folder. How come it didn&#...

Trial Office 2007 Professional
I am really not computer savvy but I can follow instructions. I am attempted to download trial Office Professional 2007 on a New Microsoft 7 system. I am getting the error message "Outlook 2007 with contact manager can not be installed until Outlook 2007 is installed, please insert CD1" I do not have a CD, I am trying to download from Microsoft. What can I do? "Fran" <Fran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EAB0ADCF-870A-46FE-AD75-CB977ECC67B6@microsoft.com... > I am really not computer savvy but I can follow instructions. > I am att...

Hyperlinks do not work in email in outlook
Shortly after installing the new service pack for Windows XP I began getting this message whenever I tried to click on a hyperlink in an email: "This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." I assume it is because some switch has been set. Could someone tell me how to regain the ability to use the embedded links in email in outlook? Thanks Bob <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Shortly after installing the new service pack for Windows > XP I began getting this message whene...

failure of Open XML 1.1.4 to work
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Previous versions of this worked fine. This version comes up with comment &quot;not enough memory&quot;. As I have 2mg Ram this seems strange. Any help appreciated. I'm afraid you haven't provided sufficient information for anyone to go on, especially since that message quite often has nothing to do with memory. For any questions of a technical or performance nature it's important that you specify your current update level of OS X as well as for Office. Exactly when does this messag...

hyperlinks within the same document are not working
Hi. I am trying to create an email publication in MS publisher 2007. It has several stories that will be sent out in email and the first section is supposed to contain a summary with hyperlinks to each story within the same email for more details. I am adding a bookmark at the begining of each story, and then trying to create a hyperlink in the summary section to the bookmark. However, when I send the publication as email, or do an email preview, the hyperlinks do not work. Please help! ...

Exchange 2003 Envelope Journaling not working
Hi, I have a single Exchange 2003 SP1 server. I'm trying to get envelope journaling to work. I have enabled message journaling and then used "exejcfg.exe -e" to enable envelope journaling. The journal mailbox is receiving the standard message journal messages, but not the envelope journal formatted messages. I have verified with LDP to confirm the heuristic value is 512 for the Exchange Org object. Anyone else seen this before or have any advice? Thanks --- Greg Reboot maybe? greg@intellireach.com wrote: > Hi, > > I have a single Exchange 2003 SP1 server. I...

MS Money 2004 Canadian ?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00C9_01C3C037.D277B2A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Money 2004 Canadian, does not recognize the Royal Bank of Canada. = Who do I contact to have the RBC Royal Bank Canada added? When I go the my Online Bank and copy my Checking account to MS Money, = in the left pane of the register it tells me my last download time and = date etc. This was from 2 days ago, consequently I can't download = today's account details meaning the register is NOT up...

DB Mail is is not working. Need help please.
I have try stop and start the db mail by executing the SPs below but no luck. Does anyone has seem the error below and how to fix it. Thanks in advance for your advise/help. --steps USE msdb; go EXECute sysmail_stop_sp; go EXECute sysmail_start_sp; go EXECute sysmail_help_queue_sp @queue_type = 'Mail'; go queue_type length state last_empty_rowset_time last_activated_time ---------- ----------- ---------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------- ------------...

How do I get automatic completion to work for an in-cell dropdown
If I have a list of Alpha, Beta, Gamma and an in-cell dropdown, I'd like typing 'G' to auto-select Gamma. I'm pretty sure it was doing that at some point, but now, it does not. This isn't supported under data|validation. You could use A,B,G in the dropdown and then use a helper cell with a formula in it, though. Say you put your abbreviations in A1:A3 of sheet2 and the real names in B1:B3, then you could use: =if(a1="","",vlookup(a1,sheet2!a:b,2,false)) Joseph Weisblatt wrote: > > If I have a list of Alpha, Beta, Gamma and an in-cell dropd...

Quickbooks 2004 integration
Is there any revised instructions on integrating with QB2004 as there are some discrepencys using the QB2003 instructions. Keep getting the message "out of balance" error message and could use some help in setting up our GL accounts. Thanks! It works fine It is a pain in the A$$ though Download the TK articles and get you accountant involved Also testing each GL line in a clean batch is a GOOD idea & easier to trouble shoot Just make a Backup of the QB's and keep restoring and backing up till everything works took us about 6-8 hours on our first one JB Wisconsin ...

Tries MS Money 2004 Trial.
I downloaded and tried Money 2004 from the Microsoft site. It was an upgrade from MS Money 2002. I installed it beside my MS Money 2002. I converted the file, and it said it created a backup file with ".Mnn" where nn is a version number. It said that if I went back to money 2002 I would need to open this backup file. After testing it a little, I did a system restore to a checkpoint of a week ago (still trying to fix another problem with MS Money 2002). Now when I run MS Money 2002 and I open that backup file, it asks me for a password. The original file was not passwo...

_CRTDBG_MAP_ALLOC doesn't seem to work
I'm having problems tracking down a meory leak and thought the best way would be to follow the instructions in MDSN: "Detecting and Isolating Memory Leaks Using Microsoft Visual C++" However, I can only get the basic memory dump, without source file and line number. It's as if _CRTDBG_MAP_ALLOC is being ignored. I tried building a test application (basic MFC SDI application) to try it out. At the top of Leaktest.h, I have #define _CRTDBG_MAP_ALLOC #include <stdlib.h> #include <crtdbg.h> In CLeakTestApp::InitInstance(), I have _CrtSetDbgFlag( _CRTD...

OWA timeout does not work for every client
I set the timeout setting on OWA, i don't have any issues but i'm getting lots of complaints that users are getting logged of after 15 min. why does this happen with some clients but not all? thx ...

I cannot paste from one workbook to another. Copy works, paste do.
When I attempt to copy from one workbook and paste into another, copy appears to work but paste does not. The paste menu item is grayed out in the workbook to which I attempt to paste. Are there setting that can be changed to aloow the paste?? Check to see if either workbook and/or worksheet is protected. If so, unprotect. Then Copy/Paste should work. BTW, how are you copy?paste(ing) Tab or content? Dennis "JimmyMc" wrote: > When I attempt to copy from one workbook and paste into another, copy appears > to work but paste does not. The paste menu item is grayed out...

Bug in Office Outlook 2003
Does anyone know whether there is a Microsoft Article dealing with the removal of a bug, which produces LDAP dialog box on opening Outlook 2003, that cannot be removed by any other recommended means? Thank you. Why do you classify this as a bug? If you don't use the LDAP service remove it from your profile. Control Panel-> Mail-> button E-mail Accounts-> View or change existing address books -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tips of the month: -Setting Permissions on a ...

Out of Office Assistant replies multiple times
The situation: The user of a fully patched Outlook 2003 SP1 sets an Out of Office reply using the Out Of Office Assistant.. The result: The first time someone sends a message while the OOA reply is turned on, they get the full text of the OOA reply as it is configured. The second and subsequent emails from that same sender gets a truncated version of the OOA message. In my testing, my second message (which isn't supposed to be replied to), got me 2 truncated replies. Examples from my testing: 1st reply: "I am out of the office and will return on Monday, February 28, 2005. At th...

Journal stopped working #2
I have noticed that after upgrading from Outlook XP (2002) to Office Outlook 2003 my journal has completely stopped logging entries. I have turned it off and re-initialized it and still not entries. I mailing want it to log Word and Excel files. Any help would be appreciated I am running Exchange 2003 in cached outlook mode on a SBS 2003 server. ...

Work Schedule in Excel doc ... Don't have Excel
I just started a new job and the boss sent next weeks schedule in Exce format but I don't have excel. Is there anyway to just read an Exce file? If not can someone tell me my schedule for me -- charlene202 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- charlene2021's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1641 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27780 Hi you can get a free viewer for excel from the microsoft site .. the following link should get you there http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/of...

Money 98 to 2004
I have a similar problem to Heath 12/22. I am trying to transfer files from Money 98 to Money 2004. Successfully did the small file, but the large (compressed) file gives the error message of: "Money can not locate c:\( . . . )\my documents\ my money or can not open it, possibly because it is read only, or you have no permission to change it, or drive is write protected." Try navigating to wherever your .mny file is on your hard disk and double click on it. That will fire up Money and it will remember where it found the file for the future. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft ...

Money 2004 files to back to Money 2000 program
My computer in Florida has Money 2004. When returning to Wisconsin I tried using the Money 2004 files with my Money 2000 in Wisconsin but the program would not open because it asked for my "Password". I have never used a password before and don't have a password. I have been using Money programs for 5 years and this is the first time I have had any problems. Any ideas? JoeinWisconsin -- -------------------------------------------- Joseph R. Ferris (Joe) E-mail: jferris@tponet.com URL: www.jferris.com ---------------------------------------- In microsoft.public.money...

Graphics not visible in email signature Office/Outlook 2000
Trying to send two jpg images embedded in an email signature from the signature picker. When viewed in Advanced Edit in Signature picker the graphics display. When the message is sent they are missing. Using Rich text Format in Outlook, but now Word as email editor. Any help is appreciated. Bob Weeden Washington School District Phoenix AZ Tried it in HTML format already? It is a lot more supported format than Rich Text. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack...

Installing Office 2007 on new laptop
I tried to install Office 2007 on my new laptop which came with the 60 day free trial of Office 2007. After the disk has been installed and I click on the icon to open the program I get an error message that says something like "You are unable to sign in because the server is unavailable". I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times and get the same result. This was a disk purchased as a student/instructor disk and has never been used before. On 3/21/2010 11:28 AM, Linda wrote: > I tried to install Office 2007 on my new laptop which came with the 60 ...

Working with elapsed time data
How do I set up Excel to accept race times for a cross- country team? I want to enter minutes and seconds for each runner for each race. Then I want to calculate each runner's average time. When I enter minutes and seconds, Excel converts it to the time of day - which is not what I want. Go to www.cpearson.com for lots of tips on working with time. Bernard "DW" <dweskalnies@vertisinc.com> wrote in message news:080f01c38854$46e18100$a401280a@phx.gbl... > How do I set up Excel to accept race times for a cross- > country team? I want to enter minutes and seconds for...