Office 2003 Pictures not compatible with Office 2008 Mac

I'm using MS Office Mac 2008.  Rest of company using PC/Windows and MS Office
2003.  When I view corp documents (PowerPoint, Word), some of the pictures in
the document are formatted incorrectly.  I don't know the source of the
picture but it is some sort of bitmap image (jpg, gif, bmp).  Displays
correctly on PC and Office 2003.

When I open these files with MS Office Mac 2008, some of these pictures
display properly, but many others are zoomed/cropped.  Happens with both
PowerPoint and Word.  I can right click on the picture, and choose "format
picture" so Office sees it as some sort of bitmap.

For example, by zoomed/cropped... the original picture may be 1" x 2", no
background color, and exist on 2 different slides in MS PowerPoint 2003.  In
Office Mac Powerpoint 2008, the picture appears correctly on 1 slide, but on
the other slide it shows just the upper/right corner of the image, expanded
to the same size, 1" x 2", and now it's pixelated with a white background.

This happens often, so it is a real hassle to have to delete the original
image and try to re-insert it.  I frequently present using corp or others
ppt's and edit word documents, and this is preventing me from migrating to
all-mac  ;-)

Any ideas?

0
NewMacUser

There are a series of known bugs with Office 2008's abilities to handle
Office PC files.

Microsoft is working on these.

First, make sure you have Updates 12.1 and 12.1.1 applied.  These contain
fixes for some of the issues.

If these updates do not solve all of your problems, then you will either
have to install Windows Office on your Mac, or wait a little longer for the
fixes.

You can purchase a program named Parallels that will enable you to run
Windows Office on your Mac.

Hope this helps

On 12/07/08 1:42 AM, in article 86ff7a2cdb83c@uwe, "NewMacUser" <u44788@uwe>
wrote:

> I'm using MS Office Mac 2008.  Rest of company using PC/Windows and MS Office
> 2003.  When I view corp documents (PowerPoint, Word), some of the pictures in
> the document are formatted incorrectly.  I don't know the source of the
> picture but it is some sort of bitmap image (jpg, gif, bmp).  Displays
> correctly on PC and Office 2003.
>
> When I open these files with MS Office Mac 2008, some of these pictures
> display properly, but many others are zoomed/cropped.  Happens with both
> PowerPoint and Word.  I can right click on the picture, and choose "format
> picture" so Office sees it as some sort of bitmap.
>
> For example, by zoomed/cropped... the original picture may be 1" x 2", no
> background color, and exist on 2 different slides in MS PowerPoint 2003.  In
> Office Mac Powerpoint 2008, the picture appears correctly on 1 slide, but on
> the other slide it shows just the upper/right corner of the image, expanded
> to the same size, 1" x 2", and now it's pixelated with a white background.
>
> This happens often, so it is a real hassle to have to delete the original
> image and try to re-insert it.  I frequently present using corp or others
> ppt's and edit word documents, and this is preventing me from migrating to
> all-mac  ;-)
>
> Any ideas?

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP, Word and Word:Mac
Sydney, Australia.   mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
john7143 (1072)
7/12/2008 6:33:39 AM
Not contradicting anything John had to offer, but it is often a mater of how
the images were handled in the first place. Far to often people rely on
copy/paste from whatever source they can find, then edit the image in Word.

Although the result of that method usually continues to "work" within the
same OS it has a tendency to implode if the doc gets passed
cross-platform... And often happens even within the same environment.

If images are properly prepared & saved in the appropriate file formats
using a decent image editor, then Inserted into the document (Insert>
Picture) and not modified using the minimalist "tools" a word processing
program has to offer, stability of the image/document is far more reliable -
cross-platform or not :-)

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 7/11/08 1:42 PM, in article 86ff7a2cdb83c@uwe, "NewMacUser" <u44788@uwe>
wrote:

> I'm using MS Office Mac 2008.  Rest of company using PC/Windows and MS Office
> 2003.  When I view corp documents (PowerPoint, Word), some of the pictures in
> the document are formatted incorrectly.  I don't know the source of the
> picture but it is some sort of bitmap image (jpg, gif, bmp).  Displays
> correctly on PC and Office 2003.
>
> When I open these files with MS Office Mac 2008, some of these pictures
> display properly, but many others are zoomed/cropped.  Happens with both
> PowerPoint and Word.  I can right click on the picture, and choose "format
> picture" so Office sees it as some sort of bitmap.
>
> For example, by zoomed/cropped... the original picture may be 1" x 2", no
> background color, and exist on 2 different slides in MS PowerPoint 2003.  In
> Office Mac Powerpoint 2008, the picture appears correctly on 1 slide, but on
> the other slide it shows just the upper/right corner of the image, expanded
> to the same size, 1" x 2", and now it's pixelated with a white background.
>
> This happens often, so it is a real hassle to have to delete the original
> image and try to re-insert it.  I frequently present using corp or others
> ppt's and edit word documents, and this is preventing me from migrating to
> all-mac  ;-)
>
> Any ideas?

> I'm using MS Office Mac 2008. Rest of company using PC/Windows and MS Office
> 2003. When I view corp documents (PowerPoint, Word), some of the pictures in
> the document are formatted incorrectly. I don't know the source of the
> picture but it is some sort of bitmap image (jpg, gif, bmp). Displays
> correctly on PC and Office 2003.
>
> When I open these files with MS Office Mac 2008, some of these pictures
> display properly, but many others are zoomed/cropped. Happens with both
> PowerPoint and Word. I can right click on the picture, and choose "format
> picture" so Office sees it as some sort of bitmap.
>
> For example, by zoomed/cropped... the original picture may be 1" x 2", no
> background color, and exist on 2 different slides in MS PowerPoint 2003. In
> Office Mac Powerpoint 2008, the picture appears correctly on 1 slide, but on
> the other slide it shows just the upper/right corner of the image, expanded
> to the same size, 1" x 2", and now it's pixelated with a white background.
>
> This happens often, so it is a real hassle to have to delete the original
> image and try to re-insert it. I frequently present using corp or others
> ppt's and edit word documents, and this is preventing me from migrating to
> all-mac ;-)
>
> Any ideas?
-----------------------
I think I may know where the problem is. You stated in your letter that everyone else (co-workers) are using MS 2003 and you are using MS 2008. I see a BIG difference there. Because Office 2003 is "older" than Office 2008, therefore, some pictures may not show up correctly. You may want to suggest to them to upgrade their software to Office 2007 so that way, when they do send you attachments with pictures they should come in as they were sent.

This is worth a try.
Hope this helps.
If you *did* know where the problem is, then you would know that this is a
known bug in Office 2008.  Nothing you do on the PC side is likely to make
much difference, although if you do what Bob suggested, you will have a lot
more success.

On 12/07/08 9:31 PM, in article 59b53e34.2@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"cwilliams1@officeformac.com" <cwilliams1@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I think I may know where the problem is. You stated in your letter that
> everyone else (co-workers) are using MS 2003 and you are using MS 2008. I see
> a BIG difference there. Because Office 2003 is "older" than Office 2008,
> therefore, some pictures may not show up correctly. You may want to suggest to
> them to upgrade their software to Office 2007 so that way, when they do send
> you attachments with pictures they should come in as they were sent.
>
> This is worth a try.

Beg to differ.  Office 2008 has just as much trouble with 2007 graphics.
You would be spending a lot of money ($500 a seat) for nothing.

Cheers

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP, Word and Word:Mac
Sydney, Australia.   mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
john7143 (1072)

importing pictures
how do i import pictures that i have designed from word into excel In the word document, right click the picture and select copy. In the spreadsheet right click any cell and select paste -- Gary''s Student "sumera usman" wrote: > how do i import pictures that i have designed from word into excel Under the Insert menu, choose Picture, then choose From File...you'll b able to browse to the folder where you stored the picture you created. Wherever you have your cursor on the spreadsheet is where the pictur will be placed -- DataCollecto -------------------------...

Saving 2007 Access database as 2003
I am struggling to save a 2007 Access database as a 2003 database. What is confusing is that you have to be in it otherwise the option is greyed out, but when it shows the name of the database with the .mdb extension and I click on Save it gives a message with words to the effect of saying that I am in the database and the file cannot be saved when I am in it. Somewhere in the process it said that the file had to be closed and did I want that and I accepted that but nothing was closed in the process. Thank you for any help. What I have done is to create a blank .mdb database...

exchange 2003 X400 connector to exchange 5.5?
We currently have 2 different organizations/different domains and .coms - one is 2003 and one is still 5.5. For DR purposes, I need to know if I can set up a 2003 SMTP server and create x400 connectors to my 5.5 org and sites and vice versa just for mail routing in case my bridgeheads go down. My feeling is, I'll have to set up 2 servers: exchange 2003 (to talk to our folks that have already migrated) and exchange 5.5 for the rest of the folks. Has anyone had to do this - am I off base or is there some white paper that may discuss this. Let me know if I did not give enough i...

unable to remove exchange 2003 from the server
Hi, I want to completely uninstall exchange from the server. when I try to completely remove Exchange 2003 from the server I recieve the following error: "Setup failed while installing sub-component Exchange Activesync with error code 0x80005000" I press cancel, it goes on, then another error pops up, it says: "Setup failed while installing sub-component Exchange OMA Browse with error code 0x80005000" Help me please :) thanks http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833396/en-us Nue "KUMAIL" <KUMAIL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

Windows 2003 SAN Multipath software question
Hello, I am in the middle of a san migration. I have a promise san that i am currently using. We are migrating to a emc. Now the question i have is that emc is requiring me to use there powerpath software for the multipath backend that is connected to the san. I cam currenly using promise multipath software called perfectpath. What if anything could i run into if i was to have both powerpath and perfectpath installed at the same time. - Two software products attempting to control paths may lead to resource contention - Random SAN path failures...I've seen this behavio...

Scroll Mouse in VBA 2003
Since moving from Office 2000 to 2003 the Scroll wheel does not work in the Excel VBA Editor. Anyone know a fix? The MS 4.x driver works fine for me in all versions of Excel for scrolling modules in the VBE. The 5.x driver does not, so I downgraded after trying it. Some people swear by this as a fix for 5.x: http://www.gasanov.net/VBScroll.htm -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "A. Morolez" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:c08301c489e5$a9462880$a501280a@phx.gbl... | Since moving from Office 2000 to 2003 the Scroll wheel | does not work in the Excel V...

Outlook 2003 Crashes after Exchange 2003 mailbox move
It looks like the problem has been around since last November. We have similar problem on one of the Exchange 2003 server with Trend Scanmail 7.0. Outlook 2003 crashes after mailbox move, follow up with a reboot. We can correct the problem by remount the mailstore but still it is very frustrating to the users. It's funny that Outlook 2000 and XP do not seem to affected by this problem. Anyone know if there is a fix for this yet? http://groups.google.com/groups?q=0x0000eddc+outlook.exe&start=0&scoring=d& Does the problem go away if you disable Scanmail? -- Ed Crowley M...

Strange Files in My Documents Created by Outlook 2003
Every email that Outlook receives writes a text file in the My Documents folder. These files contain the complete email text that with all the tags such as 'received' and 'from'. Also, These files begin with the letter s and both the name and extension appear to be generated sequences. We are getting a ton of these files. It doesn't happen to all our users still we can't find the triger for this condition. Thanks in advance. John JKHarris <jkharris0@gmail.com> wrote: > Every email that Outlook receives writes a text file in the My > Documents folder...

When inserting picture nothing appears
When I try inserting a picture into a birthday card, all I wind up getting is a blank picture frame, I think. I can select the blank picture and save it. Then open up the saved file and there is a picture, but it doesn't show up in Publisher. -- Don S View, picture, detailed display. If this isn't the solution, slide the acceleration down on your video adapter. Control panel, display folder, settings tab, advanced button, troubleshoot tab. If your images appear, then your graphics driver needs to be updated. Go to the manufacturer's web site and look around for a newer dr...

exchange 2003 user mailbox limit
Does exchange 2003 have a limit to the size amount a user's mailbox can be even if you have no default setting for email size? You can set this on each mailbox store either individually or, preferably, through a mailbox store policy. You can configure this in each user's properties pages, and that setting will override what is set for the mailbox store. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Mark" <rmwatrich@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OGxRDcZ3GHA.4976@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Does exchange 2003...

Printing from Office Enterprise 2007
I am unable to print from Office Enterprise 2007. I just upgraded my computer from XP to Windws 7. The Printer is Lexmark P4350. I have downloaded the Vista driver from Lexmark which works with Windows 7. However when installing the printer's driver a message comes up saying that driver is missing and takes you back to Lexmark's website. The only way to print from word 2007 is through 'WinWord' - don't know if it is something to do with administrator setting. But I am the administrator for the computer. I have re-installed office and the printer may time...

how do i set up office on a second pc. it's a download
Hi does anyone know how i can install Office onto my laptop. I downloaded the original , so don't have a cd. Not sure where to find my product key. I downloaded a free trial onto the laptop, it expires today with my assignment on it. Help. I take it this is a full retail version on your other PC? In that case Belarc Advisor (a free download) will reveal the product key on that PC. Assuming that the EULA allows use of this version on another PC you will probably have to activate it by telephone. If it is another trial version, then the key will be irrelevant - you only get ...

SSRS 2008 lost ReportServer Users
Hi, we have installed SSRS 2008. In the dbo.users (from the ReportServer Database), are 501 records. But if i open the web gui from the ReportServer web i can only see about 100 users, where are the other ones? 2 Days ago everything was ok, in the meantime nothing has changed. whats wrong? Any Idea? Thanks a lot for any help! Hi can you check whether the users have been removed from the ReportServer DB, dbo.Users table. "Ivo" wrote: > Hi, > we have installed SSRS 2008. > In the dbo.users (from the ReportServer Database), are 501 records...

Erratic inability to send through Outlook 2003
Hi, Some times I can send email and sometimes not. When I can't I get this error (which seems to be generated by Outlook, not by external mail servers): "The following recipient(s) could not be reached: Bob Jones <bob@jones.etc.> on 3/4/2004 6:34 PM 553 sorry, that domain isn't allowed to be relayed thru this MTA (#5.7.1)" Sometimes I can "fix" the problem by closing Outlook and reopening it. Sometimes even rebooting doesn't make a change. My system: XP Professional, 3 weeks old on new IBM notebook. Multiple email accounts. De...

Works version 7.0 to Office 2007
Hi, I'd like to upgrade my works (version 7) and would like Office 2007. Am I allowed and able to upgrade from my works to office 2007? Thanks "mikeymike" <mikeymike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:634B0E12-BD82-4743-A384-5C14E023F8AC@microsoft.com... > Hi, I'd like to upgrade my works (version 7) and would like Office 2007. > Am I > allowed and able to upgrade from my works to office 2007? > > Thanks Works 7 is a valid upgrade qualifying product. See http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/suites/FX101754511033.aspx for ...

Exchange 2003 Tracking Log Error
Hi, I have an Exchange 2003 active passive cluster server as backend and NLB frontend server. I have configured the tracking log option on a backend server I set the share dir on the same resource where there are the Exchange database I can see and open the log file but when I try to use the exchange system manager console I received the following error "The tracking database on ... is not avalaible or the message has left the Exchange organization" Any idea ? Thanks in advance Alex ...

Convert pst files 2007 ==> 2003
ello, I want to step back to Outlook 2003 from Outlook 2007. Is there an asy way to convert the pst files? When I goto Export, it wants me to select a folder to export and I don't see an "All Folders/Everything" option. Am I missing something? Thanks, Vic Vic, Never use export or import. Simply locate your Outlook.pst file. I suggest that you move it to My Documents. Then when you back up My Documents you have that backed up also. After you have installed Outlook 2003, choose Open from the File drop down menu, then choose Outlook Data file. Browse to your Outlook...

0x800CCC90 error message Outlook 2003
"Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC90) : 'Your incoming (POP3) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). Server responded: -ERR problem retrieving message. Moved from Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2003 with the purchase of a new computer and trying to set up the email accounts for myself and my wife with our ISP. Set up my wife's account, and she's able to send and receive no problem. I used the exact same setup routine on my account, and ran into "...

Is ANYONE successfully getting an NNTP news feed into Public Folders on Exchange 2003?
I've been beating my head against the wall trying to make NNTP news work with Public Folders on Exchange 2003. I really like the idea of having news articles appear in Public Folders as well as via port 119, but I can't seem to make it work. I've got a fully-up-to-date Windows Server 2003 system running fully-up-to-date Exchange 2003. The Exchange mail, Public Folders, IIS bits, etc have all been working properly for some time. I enabled the NNTP service and set up a newsfeed to point to a known good source (it happens to be another system that I manage). I know 100% that the s...

hyperlinks in Publisher 2003
How come when I use hyperlink, I can link a header to another page in my document, but no matter what I try, I can't link to an article in the same page? -- D''man Dino, I believe the Microsft interface may have confused you... this is the newsgroup for Microsoft Access a database software. Sounds like you are looking for Microsoft Publisher... scroll a wee bit further down and you should find the Publisher newsgroup. -- Gina Whipp 2010 Microsoft MVP (Access) "I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!" - Tremors II h...

2008 Compatibility with PC
HELP: I upgraded to the new office 2008 for mac with the hope that the mac version will now be more compatible with PC versions -- but my client had to spend an hour downloading some patches to even open the thing. When I checked the online help, it appeared that the default format (.docx) would be best to use -- but this isn't working. Can you offer guidance on properly saving for cross-compatibility?? For cross-platform compatibility, I would do exactly as you have done: use the .docx format as your default. The overwhelming majority of PCs were updated to be able to read this format o...

Access 2003 Templates
Is it possible to only see Access 2003 templates when i am searching for them on the 'templates' part of office online? "Jase4now" <Jase4now@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote > Is it possible to only see Access 2003 templates when > i am searching for them on the 'templates' part of office online?As often as some 'Softie web-person decides to "enrich our viewing experience" and changes the website, I don't even try to keep up with their current navigation schemes. But I did view and download some templates, recently, and, yes, I finally s...

Out of Office Assistant #5
It was suggested that I post my question here, my appologies if it looks like a cross post. My users make use of the Out of Office Assistant consistently. Lately we have noticed it will only send out of office notices internally and not externally outside of our network. Going through our change-log for the Exchange server, all that has changed in the past few months is some CU's and a Relay rule allowing our Internal IIS server to relay messages through our Exchange server. How can I get the Out of Office Assistant to send to all email, internal and external to our network? thanks i...

Automation object in office template
I’m not sure which area to post this in. Anyway, I’m trying to use an Access 2007 template (nutrition) I found on MicroSoft’s site, but in 2003. I downloaded it on a co-workers computer, saved it for 2003 and opened it on my computer. Right off the bat I get a “The object doesn’t contain the Automation object ‘IsTrusted’” message. I have no idea what this means and how can I fix it or get rid of it. Any ideas? Thank you! If the database format is accdb, you will have to cobvert it to an mdb using Access 2007, before you can use it in Access 2003. The accdb format is not b...

Drive Configuration for Exchange 2003
I currently have exchange 2003 installed on a windows 2003 server. Exchange is installed on the c: drive which is a 40gb drive. We are in the earlt implementation stages of exchange, there are no mailboxes set up, no public folders, its is basically just a clean install of exchange at the moment. We also have a d: drive which is 200gb, i want to put all the mailboxes and all the public stores on the d: drive as a fear that the 40gb drive will fill up quite quickly once we start using exchange fully. How can i change the mailbox and public store, and anything else that will take up a...