Office 08 auto correct problem

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: intel

I just installed Office 2008 for mac and I can't get the auto correct to work right. Is there some magic box to check or something? Thanks in advance.

Brooklyngem

Can you describe what working wrong means to you?  Can't see your screen
from here.

You can turn it on via Tools | AutoCorrect, if that's the problem.

brooklyngem@officeformac.com wrote:
> Version: 2008
> Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
> Processor: intel
>
> I just installed Office 2008 for mac and I can't get the auto correct to work right. Is there some magic box to check or something? Thanks in advance.
>
> Brooklyngem

0
daiyaNOSPAM (1173)
4/4/2008 3:43:05 AM
I have tried the tools|AutoCorrect and then when I type in a wd doc it doesn't. The most I can get it to do is type the date automatically. I keep looking for another solution and can't find one. Do I need to close out of Wd to get it to take. Are there some global preferences I can't seem to find? None of the words I want to have automatically typed are working. Hope this makes it clearer....

Thanks...

~ brooklyngem ~
Well, it isn't AutoCorrect that types the date automatically, it's
AutoText. AutoText is the one that flashes little yellow boxes at you,
AutoCorrect is the thing that fixes your common spelling mistakes.
Which one do you mean?  If you aren't sure, give some examples of what
it normally does and I'll try to figure it out.

You'd also need to turn AutoText on in Tools | AutoCorrect | AutoText.

If you created custom AutoCorrects or AutoTexts, it may be that you need
to import them into Word 2008. Are you missing custom ones?

brooklyngem@officeformac.com wrote:
> I have tried the tools|AutoCorrect and then when I type in a wd doc it doesn't. The most I can get it to do is type the date automatically. I keep looking for another solution and can't find one. Do I need to close out of Wd to get it to take. Are there some global preferences I can't seem to find? None of the words I want to have automatically typed are working. Hope this makes it clearer....
>
> Thanks...
>
> ~ brooklyngem ~

0
daiyaNOSPAM (1173)
4/4/2008 12:34:59 PM
I want to be able to have WD complete things like my name and address. That's Auto Correct...right? I have the info (my name in the place where all the other auto correct words/phrases are. When I type Dear S it will show what I want to complete...and I hit return and it corrects it. Not all of those phrases and other words show up when I type them. nor does my name. Should I delete the one that is in there and put in a new one? I don't get the yellow boxes either. I did for one document and now it's gone. I can't figure out how to get it back.
Hope this helps.
Thanks in advance.
What you describe sounds like AutoText.

Go to Tools | AutoCorrect. That dialog has three panes, AutoCorrect,
AutoFormat as You Type, and AutoText. In the AutoText pane, make sure
"show autocomplete tip is checked". Now you should see the yellow boxes
and be able to hit return to accept an AutoText, after typing at least
the first four letters, and maybe more.

Does that solve your problem?

brooklyngem@officeformac.com wrote:
> I want to be able to have WD complete things like my name and address. That's Auto Correct...right? I have the info (my name in the place where all the other auto correct words/phrases are. When I type Dear S it will show what I want to complete...and I hit return and it corrects it. Not all of those phrases and other words show up when I type them. nor does my name. Should I delete the one that is in there and put in a new one? I don't get the yellow boxes either. I did for one document and now it's gone. I can't figure out how to get it back.
> Hope this helps.
> Thanks in advance.

0
daiyaNOSPAM (1173)
4/6/2008 8:33:39 PM
What you're looking for is called Auto*TEXT* - the AutoCorrect feature
automatically *fixes* things as you type, such as correcting [teh] to be
[the]. Although it can be used in other ways that is it's primary purpose.

AutoText is a feature that will insert larger bodies of content triggered by
names you assign to them. Type the content into a document, such as;

Joe Blow
234 West Main Street
Somecity, XX 00007

Then select the entire block, go to Insert> AutoText> New, type in a name
(such as addy or myname) then click OK. From then on whenever you type the
first several letters of that *name* the AutoComplete tip will appear for
the AutoText item it's assigned to. If you want to insert the item just
press return, otherwise simply keep typing.

Get more info on each feature from Word Help: AutoText, AutoCorrect.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 4/6/08 4:12 PM, in article ee97602.3@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"brooklyngem@officeformac.com" <brooklyngem@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I want to be able to have WD complete things like my name and address. That's
> Auto Correct...right? I have the info (my name in the place where all the
> other auto correct words/phrases are. When I type Dear S it will show what I
> want to complete...and I hit return and it corrects it. Not all of those
> phrases and other words show up when I type them. nor does my name. Should I
> delete the one that is in there and put in a new one? I don't get the yellow
> boxes either. I did for one document and now it's gone. I can't figure out how
> to get it back.
> Hope this helps.
> Thanks in advance.

Using Word 11.3.8. Need to know how to save AutoCorrect entries for when I load a new system. Please advise. Thanks.
0
verb8tim (1)
5/4/2008 9:40:02 PM
See here:
http://word.mvps.org/mac/backupprefs.html

Hope this helps

On 5/05/08 7:40 AM, in article ee97602.8@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Robbie
Keefer" <verb8tim@comcast.net> wrote:

> Using Word 11.3.8. Need to know how to save AutoCorrect entries for when I
> load a new system. Please advise. Thanks.

System

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP, Word and Word:Mac
Sydney, Australia.   mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
john7143 (1072)

Dialog Focus problem
Hello everyone, I am implementing a Popup window (like Outlook's new message or messenger's someone-signed-in window) based on a CDialog derived window. In order not to interfere with the user's experience, I don't want my dialog window to capture the focus when it shows, so I return FALSE in OnInitDialog. This is working well, until I click a button on the popup window that, in turn, closes the window. The next time the popup window appears after this, it is capturing the focus. I already tried to send a window message to another window when the user clicks the button, an...

Big problem with OAL
Hi After I have installed SP1 on my Exchange server 2003 I get an error when it trays to generate the Offline address list I get at event error 9333 and 9335 I have tried to rebuild of the offline address books, and the problem persisted Can any one help me how to solve my problem? -Anders The 9333 OALGen encountered error 80004005 while opening the base offline address list public folder. Please make sure that a public folder replica exists. - /o=XXX/cn=addrlists/cn=oabs/cn=Default Offline Address List And The 9335 OALGen encountered error 8004010f while cleaning the offline addre...

Weird scrolling problem with folders
I am having a really weird problem with my storage folders and scrolling to the bottom folder in the list. At the bottom of my email account list ( I have 15 email accounts, mostly imap), I have Outbox and underneath it Storage folders. I have a dozen or so folders in storage folders. When I expand storage folders and try to scroll down to the last item and click on it, the list will jump up , it will frequently jump back up a couple of items, and I can't see the bottom of the list. Does anyone have a bunch of folders in Storage folders, and does this happen to you? YOu have ...

Money 2002 problems
Last week, I was editing an entry, and the program crashed. Since that time, I can not open the program. I have tried everyway I can think of, but nothing happens. My operating system is Windows 98. I could reload the progam, but if I do, will I lose my current data. If that is the case, I do have a relatively current backup. Thanks for you help. Dennis H What error do you see? Reinstalling shouldn't affect your data, but I would take a backup copy of your MNY file for safety anyway. -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?sci...

'problem starting the Office Assistant'
Hello, I know this is slightly off-topic but... I'm using Excel from Office 2000 and am getting an error on startup which I'd really like to get rid of: - There was a problem starting the Office Assistant. Would you like to try installing it? I did try to re-install it but it didn't help. Any tips on how to get rid of this would be welcome! Thanks! >From Excel, along the menu at top, click Help and de-select "Show the Office Assistant". I'm biting my tongue, trying to resist the urge to editorialize about THAT particular piece of code. On 21 Nov 2005 18:...

Problem With Front End Server Exchange 2003
i m running exchange 2003 Stan on server 2003. i got Error message on my screen There is no RPC-HTTP Front-end in your exchange Organization. There Must be at Lease on RPC-HTTP Front-end Server in the organization before the RPC-HTTp back and serve. so how can i configuration RPCHTTP Front End www.microsoft.com/exchange On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 08:11:04 -0800, dua <dua@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >i m running exchange 2003 Stan on server 2003. >i got Error message on my screen >There is no RPC-HTTP Front-end in your exchange Organization. There Must be >at Lease on R...

Problems with calendar in 2003
Until a few days ago, when I chose the Calendar button at the bottom of my navigation pane, my calendar used to appear. Now I only get a list of all the appointments etc I have put in my calendar with headings such as Subject, Location, Start, End, Recurrence Pattern. what have I done wrong and how do I get my calendar to again appear when I click on the Calendar button? TIA Liz J <thejordanschangethistoanatsignclara.net> wrote: > Until a few days ago, when I chose the Calendar button at the bottom > of my navigation pane, my calendar used to appear. Now I only get a &g...

Problems saving excel file from outlook
I have an EU that whenever he saves an excel file from outlook, it will rename the file (by adding the number "2" at the end of the file "file2.xls") and it also changes all the embedding links in the document. (The embedding link of F:\users\file.xls changes to c:\documents and settings\file.xls) Are you setting a Hyperlink base for your links? See Menu > File > Property > Summary tab. Put the original folder location there and when you move or save the file the links will not be renamed. Also assigning a letter to the drive can cause problems (not ...

Problem after e-mail server re-start
Hi, I have the prblem for OWA users to access the Exchange server every times re-started the server, and Outlook users using IMAP connection also experience delays or hangs. The following is found in the event log Source: W3SVC Event ID: 101 The server was unable to add the virtual root '/Exchange' for the directory 'M:\speedsourcing.com\MBX' due to the following error: The system cannot find the path specified. The data is the error code. From the Internet Services Manager, paths for Exchange, ExchWeb & Exadmin are all unavailable. The first two can be manually r...

Public Folder auto-responder?
How can I set up an auto-responder to a public folder on Exchange 2003? I see information about a server scripting add-in for Outlook 2003, which I have installed...but now what? Where can i find information about how to set up the scripts? You typically will have to write/get help writing the code for the script/event sink that you apply to the public folder. You may also find pre-written sinks that already do what you want...but the idea is that what you're wanting is extra/custom functionality and you're going to have to add that piece yourself. Exchange provides the framewo...

Area graph problem.
Hello, I have two columns of data, one for Chainage, and one for Elevation. Basically, it's the data of a track; the chainage is the total distance of a particular track point from the starting, and the elevation is the elevation of that particular track point. Anyhow, when I plot an Area graph with the elevation being the Y-axis, and the Chainage being the X-axis, the Chainage doesn't seem to maintain a constant interval. For example, the total chainage is from 0 to 115 km, and total elevation difference is from 2000m to 4000m. In the Y-axis, the elevation has an interval of 25 m...

Access 97 to Access 2003 DataBase conversion 08-30-07
Hi, We work in a mostly french environment. We have a standard image using MUI Microsoft products (XP and Office 2003 are MUI) Since the convertion of an ACCESS 97 BD into Access 2003, we experience a sort sequence problem when using: DoCmd.Openform or DoCmd.ApplyFilter A selection on a name like "Cot�" will return no record. Asking for "Cote" will return all records including "Cot�". I suspect a problem with MUI (multi-user interface) but I did not find any recommandation at Microsoft. Thanks. "Jacques Tr�panier" <zx_jacques@hotmail.com>...

i have problem with password to email server
i just got on the sight. How do i go about finding out the password to outlook express to the email server. I have to set up a internal email system. and everytime i get to log on outlook express it pops up with a window to enter a user and password. but i dont know it. How do i get my password back. can i get in touch with isp and get it. ...

subform problems 06-12-07
Does anyone know how to make a button on the mainform delete the records showing on its subform which is in datasheet view? Thanks for the help! -- Michael Create a query based on the table or query that is the rowsource of the subform. The query should include the Linkchild field of the subform. Set the criteria of that field to: Forms!NameOfMainForm!NameOfLinkMasterfieldOfSubform Change the query to a delete query. Create a button on the main form and in the On Click event open the query. PC Datasheet Providing Customers A Resource For Help With Access, Excel And Word Applications res...

Send to Remote user problem
Using Exchange 5.5 on a Win 2k server All users in the office work fine. New employee works exclusively on the road, never coming to the office. I set up the account so that the office people could email through Outlook ( obviously wrong ) to the employee's internet email account. Exchange converts the email address to the local email mail box name and nothing is sent. I know this is my error, but I need help fixing it. The SMTP addresses are User@MyDomain.com the in office mailbox and User1@msn.com the internet address I want everything sent...

Accelerator key problem on custom button
Hi! I added custom menu button with unique accelerator key on it (Map&e). But, accelerator key do not work on it. Is it possible to enable it? Office 2003 (11.8010.6568) If it doesn't work, the most likely explanation is that there is another = visible command with the same accelerator.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx =20 "Tom...

can't apply Office 2008 1224 update
List members: I regrettably was talked into reinstalling Office 2008 for the Mac on my Intel Mac running OS 10.6.2. Everything is fine except that I can't get Office 2008-1224 Update to apply. My HD appears with a yellow triangle over it, saying the update is inapplicable. I've tried trashing the product ID as Microsoft's web page suggests; no luck. No trial copies of Office anywhere on my HD. Would appreciate any advice; thanks in advance. - Mark Pavlick This is identical to the problem I reported on 25 March (Installing Office 2008). In my case the prob...

Problem with delegates Autorisations
Hi All, I have a user that can add delegates to her mailbox however the Autorisation button is always grayed out. What can cause this? only one user and the mailbox rights look OK. We use Outlook 2003 Sp3 and Exchange 2003. Regards, I'd like to add this to my post: -It's the Permission button that remains grayed out -Only one user has the problem. Thanks, "JacquesT" <zx_jacques@hotmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news: e0r6HKzmIHA.4504@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hi All, > > I have a user that can add delegates to her mailbox however the > A...

Running Totals Problem
Hi, I=92m having a problem with running totals. I have several spreadsheets with thousands of rows that are broken into groups. I have to create running totals for each group in the spreadsheet. The data is set up as follows, and the running totals formula should be in column C. Column A Column B Column C Apples 1 1 Apples 5 6 Apples 3 9 Oranges 6 6 Oranges 1 7 Pears 2 2 Pears 3 5 Pears 5 10 Plums 8 8 Peaches 3 3 Peaches 2 5 The only way I know of to do this would be to use something like: =3DSUM($B$2:B2) and copy it down for each group...

Microsoft Office X cannot start because MS Office is already in use
Sometimes Entourage 10.1.4 shows the message: "Microsoft Office X cannot start because MS Office is already in use. A Office program is being used by MYNAME. Your installation exceeds..." It's crazy because I'm the only user with OSX (10.3.2) and Office X is installed only on my Mac!!! It seems that it happens when Entourage run scheduled actions (i.e. Send and Receive). Pls help me. Thanx. -- Buz ...

Strange Print Problem
My forms have a print button which prints a report displaying the same information shown on the form. So far, so good. I found that a few users were using Ctrl P to print and therefore printing the form instead of the report. I have fixed this problem by calling the print button code when the user presses Ctrl P. This works great except for one form where it ignores the keydown code, UNLESS I press the print button first. If the print button has been pressed previously then Ctrl P works just the way I want it to. But if you press Ctrl P before the print button is pressed the standard p...

Problems with Windows XP updates
Downloaded automatic updates have (4) times caused my computer to not restart. Could not start in safe mode to access restore point. Could not reboot to last known good configuration. Had to repair OS and decided to turn off auto updates. I'm now missing too many updates but it's pointless to download updates - mess up my computer - do repair and have the same thing happen again. Any suggestions? The original Windows XP came installed on my computer, but I did buy a backup CD from Microsoft - this is the CD I've used to do OS repairs. My computer summary is li...

Moving Average Formula Problem
I have a workbook with a date on worksheet 1 that indicates data has been entered for that month. On worksheet 2 is are columns of numbers with an average for each column at the bottom. I would like the average to use the date on worksheet 1 to calculate the average. The start of the range is known, but the end of the range is found only by looking up the date on worksheet 1. I have tried to use something like: =AVERAGE(B10:ADDRESS(VLOOKUP(date, range, 1, TRUE). This doesn't work and I can't find the functions needed to make it successful. Thanks in advance for any help! Needs...

nested find in if problem
for excel 2003, the formula =IF(FIND("s",A2:A14),B2,IF(FIND("s",A2:A14),C2,0)) will fail ( show #VALUE as result) when s is not present but "r" is. what can one do about that? Try this: =IF(COUNTIF(A2:A14,"S"),B2,IF(COUNTIF(A2:A14,"R"),C2,0)) Is that something you can work with? -------------------------- Regards, Ron (XL2003, Win XP) Microsoft MVP (Excel) "gs" <gs@dontMail.telus> wrote in message news:uH0U8kNFIHA.748@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > for excel 2003, the formula =IF(FIND("s",A2:A14),B2,IF(FIND(&q...

DISABLE the auto return to sleep
I am looking for a way to DISABLE the auto return to sleep on an unattended wake up for XP SP3. I found this article for Vista. Looking for similar one for XP http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/171042-sleep-return-timeout-unattended-wake-up.html Thanks ...