naming references in workbooks in Excel X

Having difficulty in applying Book-Level and Sheet-Level Names in
Workbooks.
When I define a name in the Define Name dialog box and I then select
the name in the Name Box, it will select the reference on the worksheet
that I have used to define the name.
If I then move to another worksheet in the same workbook with identical
layout, the name I have defined appears in the Name Box, but when I
select it, it returns to select the reference in the Worksheet where I
made the original definition.
This does not always happen but I cannot find a sure way of defining
names in one worksheet that will always work in other worksheets with
similar layoute.
Any suggestions please.

0
alec1750 (3)

In article <1130695600.716546.325770@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
 "Elijah80" <alec@glaskin.co.uk> wrote:

> I cannot find a sure way of defining names in one worksheet that will
> always work in other worksheets with similar layoute.

Names that you type in the name box are by default workbook-level names.
To create sheet-level names, use the sheet reference, e.g.:

    Sheet1!MyName

This can only be done if you haven't defined MyName as a workbook-level
name.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)

Printing problem from Excel 2007

Excel Mail Merger Problem
When merging excel with word for..my currrency field is dropping off zeros to the right of decimal point..if field has $ 56.03, it imports correctly, but if it is $56.00, it comes in as $56, if it is $56.30, it comes in as $56.3...this process is for invoices..any advice (I've tried everything)? Debra Dalgleish has given the following reply in newsgroups http://google.com/groups?threadm=3EBB0685.5080002%40contextures.com and has also identified the following MS KB articles in such as : http://google.com/groups?threadm=3DFA8DA8.6000209%40contextures.com 304387 - WD: Date, Phone N...

excel charts #24
Is it possible to freeze a chart in excel and then add another chart with different column widths without having the changes affect the first chart? Hi, Move off the chart, press the Shift or Ctrl keys and select the chart. Then right-click it and choose Format Object On the Properties sheet select Don't move or size with cells -- Thanks, Shane Devenshire "Lorena" wrote: > Is it possible to freeze a chart in excel and then add another chart with > different column widths without having the changes affect the first chart? ...

How do I prevent "Help" from opening when I open Excel?
Whenever I open Excel 2003 the Help feature opens on the right. How do I pevent this? I only want Excel to open with a new sheet. -- Lee P Lee Help or TaskPane. For Help, you should be able to close it using the "x" and next time open Excel should not display. If TaskPane, go to Tools>Options>View and uncheck "Startup Task Pane" Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 13:05:29 -0800, "Lee P" <LeeP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Whenever I open Excel 2003 the Help feature opens on the right. >How do I pevent this? I only want Exce...

Message "class not registered" opening sheet with macros Excel 97
I have created a document with Macros and is password protected. I have sent it to several people who are able to use it - the one who can't is using Excel 97 SP2. They are getting error message "class not registered" - could it be the version they are using and how do I make sure they are able to use it. This could simply be a version issue if you developed on a later version and used controls from that versions object libraries. You should always use the lowest version to develop on. If this is not the case look in the VBE on the faulty machine and check tools>ref...

Excel, how do I get ALT F C to work the same as ALT F Enter C ?
The above is an example, but it aplies to any menu. Before, if I pressed say, ALT F, the drop down menu would appear and I could press, say, C and get to the submenu. Now I have to press Enter, before the C, which is a bother. Thanks. On my Windows 2000 version 5.00.2195 with Excel '97 and Excel 2003 the Alt F C still works. What version software / Excel are you using? -- Bryan Hessey ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Bryan Hessey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21059 View this thread: http://www....

Excel 2002
Have several spreadsheet files I use routinely. Three have recently crashed after I added another sheet. In each case the document recovery created a file missing all the color and text formats that the file contained before the crash. Not sure what other changes may have occurred. Is there something wrong with the copy of Excel on my PC? Could these three files be corrupt? Is there a procedure to "clean-up" these files? Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Mark Hi sounds like they are corrupted. I would suggest to copy the data + formats to a new, 'fresh' workbook. ...

lost data when opening excel workbooks ; text import wizard popup
When opening many of my excel files ,which all have the same modification date, I come across the text import wizard which states that my text in these files is 'delimited'. All of the files ,including a few word doc.s have had their data changed to show all " y " with two dots above the letter for as far as the eye can see. No import or export has been done with the files and no modifications were done on that date, as far as I know. Is this a corruption problem or is their some 'fix' that I am overlooking. Thanks for any ideas. ...

I am converting lotus123 files to excel2002. One problem is that in lotus, literals are ignored when found in a cell within a formula. Excel on the other hand is not doing this and therefore causing #value errors on all the formulas where this occurs. Is there a way to handle this in excel other than manually having to change all the formulas? ...

How do I display two excel pages at the same time?
I want to have two excel pages displayed on my computer at the same time, but when I open both pages it uses the same master excel and when I toggle between the two it won't open both of them up. I'm using office 2003. Thanks for the help. -- snowtime ------------------------------------------------------------------------ snowtime's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25982 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=393499 Open both and then do windows>arrange and vertical (or any of the other choices, I usuall...

How do I add a hyperlink to an individual word in an Excel cell?
I am using Excel 2000 (not by choice) and I need to add a hyperlink to an individual word within the cell, not the whole cell itself. For example in the sentence "Click here or here to go to the appropriate web page." I want the words "here" to each have a separate hyperlink. Any ideas? I can manage some VBA too if necessary. Thanks, Rosalie Hi Rosalie, You can't do that in Excel. You would have to use HTML or Word or some other means. You could fake it, the entire cell would be a link, but you could after assigning the hyperlink select another...

What does #REF! mean in the Name Manager
I have a 2007 workbook with 6-7 sheets. I made some changes to cell names and apparently made some mistakes. When I open the Name Manager, the last entry looks like this: Name Value Refers to Scope Comments x #REF! =#REF!$C$25 Workbook I cannot find that name anywhere. I have looked in C25 on every sheet. What does this mean? >Name Value Refers to Scope Comments > x #REF! =#REF!$C$25 Workbook #REF! means it's an invalid reference. Did you delete a sheet? If so, that's probably why you're getting those. -- Biff Micro...

How do I get excel files to open automatically from directories?
When I try to open excel files from the directory or from desktop I only get a blank worksheet not the file. I have to then go through File Open to get the file I want. There must be a way to have them open automatically. On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 21:22:01 -0800, Damian <Damian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I try to open excel files from the directory or from desktop I only get >a blank worksheet not the file. I have to then go through File Open to get >the file I want. > >There must be a way to have them open automatically. Go to Tools -> Options -> Gen...

How do I easily draw in Excel the Upper and Lower limits of a con.
How do I easily draw in Excel the Upper and Lower limits of a control chart? I want to draw lines for target, min value and max values. How I can do that without having to make complete data series? Judy, Jon Peltier has just updated his site to include a Run chart that you could revise to be a control chart: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/RunChtLines.html Jon also has an example of a dynamic control chart: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/statscharts.html#CtrlCht ---- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "Judy" wrote: > How do I easily draw in ...

FIX at bottom-right of Excel screen. Know what it means?
When ever I open a worksheet the bottom right corner of the screen (by the CAPS, SCRL, etc alerts) FIX is showing. Does anyone know what is causing this? It means you have fixed decimal settings checked under tools>options>edit -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Bobbert" <Bobbert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EFFD8EFF-D7A2-42D8-862E-E0B1F535A5BE@microsoft.com... > When ever I open a worksheet the bottom right corner of the screen (by the > CAPS, SCRL, etc alerts) FIX is showing. Does anyone know what is causing > this? Tools>Options&g...

how can I drag formulas with other cell references
example cell A1 contains formula "=stdev(a2:a7) cell a2 contains formula "=stdev(a8:a13) Is it possible to drag the formula down so that cell a3 contains "=stdev(a14:19) and cell a4 contains "=stdev(a20:a25) and so on for cells a5, a6, a7 etc. etc. Hi Bram, See http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/snakecol.htm#snkAddr B1: =stdev(OFFSET($A$1,6*ROW()-5,0):OFFSET($A$1,6*ROW(),0)) B2: =stdev(OFFSET($A$1,6*ROW()-5,0):OFFSET($A$1,6*ROW(),0)) It was easier to test and verify using SUM instead of stdev, but the formula is same NOTE the formulas are in a different colu...

Question Regarding Excel 2007 Formatting Corruption

Auto expanding X Axis for Chart
I have a chart setup, currently with reference to 31 cells width. The chart looks great if the user places a value in each of the 31 cells, however if there are only say 20 values placed across the cell row, the chart is displayed over to one side, with nil values displayed where no dat values were entered. Is there a way to have the chart automatically vary the width depending on the amount of values entered across the refernced row of cells? If there was only 20 values entered, then the chart would show 1-20 charted and leave out the 21-31. Corey.... EXCEL 2007...

Using paste in macro but with variable references.
Hi all, I am trying to use the paste function in a macro but it needs to be variable. I have split a list of data (team workloads) into the seperate teams and by days of the week. I now need the macro to compile one book with all the data in order. The headings for each team are already set on a worksheet so the data needs to be entered under each heading For example: Team A Day 1 under the heading "Team A Day 1", Team B Day 1 under the next heading on the same sheet "Team B Day 1". I hit problems as the workload ammount will alter from week to week. So of course asking...

Textbox's truncated once printed (Excel 2000)
When using text boxs in excel if the data entry is larger than the text box it does not print out everything in the text box. Is there a way to get it to print out all the information contained in the text box. For the only two solutions I can think of is 1) Make the text boxs bigger but my manager rejected the idea. 2)Cut an paste the information onto a excel spreedsheet then print it that way by using a macro but that is a last resort. Dear Robert, 1) 2) and 3) Reject your manager. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't. 4) Perhaps ... use a smaller font? 5) Refrase your text ... Fran...

Publishing Microsoft Excel Charts to the Web
I routinely publish Excel charts to a web site for viewing in a web browser. When I do so, the charts are too large to fit on one screen without scrolling. Is there a way to make the charts fit the size of the user's browser window when you publish them? Jim - Embed the charts in a worksheet (right click, Location, As Object In: Sheet Name), and size them to fit before exporting. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Jim wrote: > I routinely publish Excel charts to a web site f...

Insert Page Numbers on Worksheet in Excel 2007
In Excel 2003, if you wanted to put page numbers on multiple worksheets in a workbook, you grouped the worksheets and then added a header or footer, using the page number function. All of your grouped worksheets would shows its own page number. But in Excel 2007, only my first worksheet is numbered when I do this (as Page 1). What's the problem? Do I actually have to put a page number, one by one, on each worksheet? I cannot replicate your problem with 2007. Grouped sheets behave exactly as 2003 did. After grouping and adding a header of Page 1 did you do a print p...

How do insert name automatically atop of each pg of doc?
Hello, How do I automatically insert name on each page of document like inserting page numbers? My professor told me not to type it in but to insert and I have not been able to do so. This is a new program for me, Word 2007. I have to submit my paper in MLA form and do not wish to lose points because for this. Thanks for your help. Click on the Insert tab of the Ribbon and then in the Header and Footer section, click on Header and make your choice from the options presented or click on the Edit Header button to get a blank header pane in which to insert the name in the...

When I open a workbook, another one called Book1 is also opened. W
This Book1 becomes the current book. If I go to Window on the toolbar I can switch to my correct workbook. Why is this Book1 being opened? I can cure it by closing Book1, then saving my correct workbook, then closing that one. The next time I open my workbook, Book1 has disappeared. Do you mean two different sheets within the same workbook? "Ian@MarlandLtd" wrote: > This Book1 becomes the current book. If I go to Window on the toolbar I can > switch to my correct workbook. Why is this Book1 being opened? I can cure it > by closing Book1, then saving my correct workbo...