MS Office with non-admin accounts

Howdy,

Our iMac at home has accounts for parents (admin account) and kids (managed
account).  The parents account can use all of the features of word,
powerpoint, etc.  The kids account can launch the application but not use a
number of the features - for example, in Word, you see the document, can
type, print, etc., but you can't launch the formatting palette or use the
toolbars.  Word gives an error that says the application isn't installed
correctly or is damaged (but still works fine in the admin account).
Naturally, I don't want to give the kids full access to the system.  Is
there a way to let them use all of the features of the apps?

Thanks,
Chris

On 11/21/05 1:19 PM, in article BFA779DE.C6B4%chendricks@aventail.com,
"Chris Hendricks" <chendricks@aventail.com> wrote:

> Our iMac at home has accounts for parents (admin account) and kids (managed
> account).  The parents account can use all of the features of word,
> powerpoint, etc.  The kids account can launch the application but not use a
> number of the features - for example, in Word, you see the document, can
> type, print, etc., but you can't launch the formatting palette or use the
> toolbars.  Word gives an error that says the application isn't installed
> correctly or is damaged (but still works fine in the admin account).
> Naturally, I don't want to give the kids full access to the system.  Is
> there a way to let them use all of the features of the apps?

What happens if you set all the options you want in your own admin account
for Word an only then create the kiddy accounts? Do they not get the same
options in Word?

Alternatively why don't you let the limited user access Entourage and
"supporting applications"? Go to System Preferences/Accounts/ [that
account]/Parental Controls/Finder.app & System. (That's in Tiger - in
Panther I thick it was "Limited User".) Make sure to check "Allow supporting
programs", and that Microsoft Entourage is checked.

--
Paul Berkowitz
MVP MacOffice

Please "Reply To Newsgroup" to reply to this message. Emails will be
ignored.

PLEASE always state which version of Microsoft Office you are using -
**2004**, X  or 2001. It's often impossible to answer your questions
otherwise.

0
berkowit (221)
11/22/2005 5:45:43 AM
On the first question - none of the options appear.  All you get in kiddy
mode is the blank document, no formatting palette or toolbars.  These
options are all enabled in Parents mode.

I haven't tried the Entourage setting, but I think I have the supporting
apps thing checked.  I'll have to look at it later.

Thanks

On 11/21/05 11:45 PM, in article BFA7F087.B9583%berkowit@spoof_silcom.com,
"Paul Berkowitz" <berkowit@spoof_silcom.com> wrote:

> On 11/21/05 1:19 PM, in article BFA779DE.C6B4%chendricks@aventail.com,
> "Chris Hendricks" <chendricks@aventail.com> wrote:
>

>> Our iMac at home has accounts for parents (admin account) and kids (managed
>> account).  The parents account can use all of the features of word,
>> powerpoint, etc.  The kids account can launch the application but not use a
>> number of the features - for example, in Word, you see the document, can
>> type, print, etc., but you can't launch the formatting palette or use the
>> toolbars.  Word gives an error that says the application isn't installed
>> correctly or is damaged (but still works fine in the admin account).
>> Naturally, I don't want to give the kids full access to the system.  Is
>> there a way to let them use all of the features of the apps?
>
> What happens if you set all the options you want in your own admin account
> for Word an only then create the kiddy accounts? Do they not get the same
> options in Word?
>
> Alternatively why don't you let the limited user access Entourage and
> "supporting applications"?

You will probably want to have that option checked for the other Office
applications as well (Excel, PowerPoint, Word).

--
Mickey Stevens (Microsoft MVP for Office:mac)
PowerPoint FAQ featuring PowerPoint:mac: <http://www.pptfaq.com/>

Actually, I was finally home long enough to see if the "supporting apps" box
was checked.  It was not.  I checked it and away we went!  Thanks for the
heads-up.