MS ACCESS for MAC

Does anyone know if there is a MAC equivalent for Microsoft ACCESS?

I hooked up my friend's MAC to our work network and it works fine and can
access everything fine, but all our inventory/pricing is done on ACCESS.. is
there any way a MAC can access and open this type of document?

Aa

Sorry, Access for Mac doesn't exist.

I don't think there is any application that can open and use access files on
the Mac, though there may be some that would open and convert them. But that
doesn't sound feasible for your situation. Running Windows in a virtual
machine might work for you.

Searching this group or the general web may turn up suggestions for
workarounds.
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.mac.office.entourage

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

daiyaNOSPAM (1173)
11/1/2006 3:50:12 PM
Where could I find a virtual machine?

Aa

In article <A0B6DF98-4505-44EB-BD6A-A8B6923F6F27@microsoft.com>,
 alexalmendrades <alexalmendrades@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Where could I find a virtual machine?

For the PowerMacs, you can buy Virtual PC and install Windows on your
Mac. For the Intel Macs, you can use a program like Parallels and also
run Windows on your Mac.

Microsoft, who bought Virtual PC a couple years ago, is not going to be
making a new version of it, but for those of us with PowerMacs, it'sa
still the way to go.

labolide (127)
11/1/2006 5:29:22 PM
There may be some other options, but I'm real short on time right now. Will
try to provide some choices later this afternoon/evening.
--
Regards |:>)
Bob Jones

"alexalmendrades" <alexalmendrades@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:9A19C4F9-1E78-4048-8142-3054F1FBDAA8@microsoft.com...
> Does anyone know if there is a MAC equivalent for Microsoft ACCESS?
>
> I hooked up my friend's MAC to our work network and it works fine and can
> access everything fine, but all our inventory/pricing is done on ACCESS..
> is
> there any way a MAC can access and open this type of document?
>
> Aa

0
CyberTaz
11/1/2006 6:00:35 PM
Hi,

You can query Access data tables directly from Excel on the Mac. Details:
http://www.agentjim.com/MVP/Excel/Office2004andAccess.doc

You can not alter the tables, add or remove records, or use forms or reports
that were created in Access. For these things you would need to use a
virtual machine.

-Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

Quoting from "alexalmendrades" <alexalmendrades@discussions.microsoft.com>,
in article 9A19C4F9-1E78-4048-8142-3054F1FBDAA8@microsoft.com, on [DATE:

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

MVPs are not Microsoft Employees
MVP info http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

0
goldkey74 (611)
11/2/2006 5:22:29 AM
Jim beat me to it:), but just to add to his reply:

The use of VPC (etc.) suggested by others is viable, but the system will
probably need to be beefed up - anything less than a 1.8 GHz G5, 2 GB RAM
will probably not offer the performance you'd like, even though the *min*
reqs are somewhat lower. I run Access 2003 on a dual 2 GHz G5, 1.5 GB, VPC 7
& find it 'acceptable' for my needs, but wouldn't want to rely on it day
in/out for on-the-job use. I mostly tinker & experiment for PC classes I
give, etc.

To access the database you'll first need ODBC drivers such as what you'll
find referred to here:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/excel2004/using.aspx?pid=usingexcel200
4&type=howto&article=/mac/LIBRARY/how_to_articles/office2004/xl_ODBC.xml

You might want to take a look at that in addition to the excellent piece Jim
linked you to - much good info in his doc & far more detailed than the link
above.

In addition to XL, FileMaker Pro & other db apps for Mac can connect to
Access tables & queries and provide a somewhat more versatile & more
functional 'front-end' than a spreadsheet.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 11/2/06 12:22 AM, in article
C16EEAC5.11B8B%goldkey74@WarmerThanWarmMail.com, "Jim Gordon MVP"

In article <C16F3EFE.1772F%onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net>,
 CyberTaz <onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net> wrote:

> Jim beat me to it:), but just to add to his reply:
>
> The use of VPC (etc.) suggested by others is viable, but the system will
> probably need to be beefed up - anything less than a 1.8 GHz G5, 2 GB RAM
> will probably not offer the performance you'd like, even though the *min*
> reqs are somewhat lower. I run Access 2003 on a dual 2 GHz G5, 1.5 GB, VPC 7
> & find it 'acceptable' for my needs, but wouldn't want to rely on it day
> in/out for on-the-job use. I mostly tinker & experiment for PC classes I
> give, etc.
>
> To access the database you'll first need ODBC drivers such as what you'll
> find referred to here:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/excel2004/using.aspx?pid=usingexcel200
> 4&type=howto&article=/mac/LIBRARY/how_to_articles/office2004/xl_ODBC.xml
>
> You might want to take a look at that in addition to the excellent piece Jim
> linked you to - much good info in his doc & far more detailed than the link
> above.
>
> In addition to XL, FileMaker Pro & other db apps for Mac can connect to
> Access tables & queries and provide a somewhat more versatile & more
> functional 'front-end' than a spreadsheet.

If Filemaker Pro can read Access files, this would be a great way to go.
Filemaker Pro is such a better program, anyway.

labolide (127)
11/3/2006 12:59:22 AM
You'd do best to contact FM Pro & get the scoop straight from the horses
mouth as to what may be involved... I've been away from that area from a
while, but ODBC should enable the type of accessibility suggested in the
post. You still won't be able to use any of the Access Forms or Reports but
should be able to query the file. I am certain that there are a number of
common import/export formats at the least.

Also, FM Pro 8.5 is Universal Binary so it will run native on an Intel
Mac... Although it isn't clear that you're using one.

Good Luck |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 11/2/06 7:59 PM, in article
labolide-E7ED39.16592202112006@news.giganews.com, "Kurt"
<labolide@spacegmail.com> wrote:

> In article <C16F3EFE.1772F%onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net>,
>  CyberTaz <onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net> wrote:
>
>> Jim beat me to it:), but just to add to his reply:
>>
>> The use of VPC (etc.) suggested by others is viable, but the system will
>> probably need to be beefed up - anything less than a 1.8 GHz G5, 2 GB RAM
>> will probably not offer the performance you'd like, even though the *min*
>> reqs are somewhat lower. I run Access 2003 on a dual 2 GHz G5, 1.5 GB, VPC 7
>> & find it 'acceptable' for my needs, but wouldn't want to rely on it day
>> in/out for on-the-job use. I mostly tinker & experiment for PC classes I
>> give, etc.
>>
>> To access the database you'll first need ODBC drivers such as what you'll
>> find referred to here:
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/excel2004/using.aspx?pid=usingexcel200
>> 4&type=howto&article=/mac/LIBRARY/how_to_articles/office2004/xl_ODBC.xml
>>
>> You might want to take a look at that in addition to the excellent piece Jim
>> linked you to - much good info in his doc & far more detailed than the link
>> above.
>>
>> In addition to XL, FileMaker Pro & other db apps for Mac can connect to
>> Access tables & queries and provide a somewhat more versatile & more
>> functional 'front-end' than a spreadsheet.
>>
> If Filemaker Pro can read Access files, this would be a great way to go.
> Filemaker Pro is such a better program, anyway.

Hi Alex:

FileMaker Pro is a very good product.  And it's built for Mac and PC.

See here:
http://www.filemaker.com/

Understand that it is not an "exact" equivalent.  The only way to be sure it
will do what you want is to download the trial version and try it.

Cheers

On 2/11/06 2:18 AM, in article
9A19C4F9-1E78-4048-8142-3054F1FBDAA8@microsoft.com, "alexalmendrades"

--

Please reply to the newsgroup to maintain the thread.  Please do not email
me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie <john@mcghie.name>
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh.  Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

0
john7143 (1072)
11/5/2006 5:31:58 AM
Many users face the dilemma that Alex faces. In terms of a SQL GUI if you
already have Excel then a further expenditure on FileMaker seems wasteful to
me.

Excel makes a great reporting and analysis tool (better than FileMaker
IMHO). When combined with Word's data merge manager you can make reports
that far exceed what comes with MS Access.

I've not worked much with FileMaker's reporting tools so I don't know how
easy it is to create custom formats with FileMaker.

-Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

Quoting from "John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]"
<john@mcghie.name>, in article C173C27E.5053B%john@mcghie.name, on [DATE:

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

MVPs are not Microsoft Employees
MVP info http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

0
goldkey74 (611)
11/5/2006 7:22:00 PM
Hi Jim:

I would have to agree, if all he wants is a way to get at data.

I've had very little to do with FileMaker: In reporting, I think it's
stronger than Access.  But I think both are a little "challenged" in SQL.

The later versions of Access offer fairly fully-featured SQL (some SQL
purists would say Access enables structures that SQL shouldn't really
allow...)

Debate rages as to whether Access "really" is a "relational" database.  I
don't know enough about databases to know what the argument is here.
However as I understand it, Access can open and read/write an SQL database,
and perform relational queries/updates.  I think FileMaker has limitations
there.

But I have seen some really impressive reporting and forms done in FileMaker
that I suspect would be difficult if not impossible in Access.

Cheers

On 6/11/06 6:22 AM, in article
C173A408.11FA7%goldkey74@WarmerThanWarmMail.com, "Jim Gordon MVP"

--

Please reply to the newsgroup to maintain the thread.  Please do not email
me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie <john@mcghie.name>
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh.  Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

0
john7143 (1072)
11/6/2006 12:05:44 PM
Jim Gordon MVP <goldkey74@WarmerThanWarmMail.com> wrote:

> I've not worked much with FileMaker's reporting tools so I don't know how
> easy it is to create custom formats with FileMaker.

It's fairly easy. FMP has pretty good and easy reporting tools (at least
in version 8 and 8.5)

On the same topic, 4D http://www.4d.com/ can also make use of ODCB to
exchange data with Access.
(and on Windows, the app can use XSLT to generate Excel or Words
documents directly :-) - they have a little movie about that here
http://www.4d.com/2004/movies/office_movie.html ).

Corentin

now if only they had a 2004 education version like they used to for the
version 2000.....

--
      --- Mac:MS MVP (Francophone)  http://www.cortig.net/wordpress/ ---
korventeen (753)

SQL is pretty much SQL no matter what application you use. Access is a
relational database - there's really nothing to debate. There are some
slight syntax variations among the various database applications
(maddeningly small ones like using a curly bracket in one and a [ bracket in
a different app), but the logic is exactly the same across the board.

The SQL GUI for Access, Microsoft Query, and FoxPro and the others look so
much alike you'd think they were versions of the same program. In a sense,
they are.
http://www.faqs.org/docs/ppbook/c1164.htm
http://www.samspublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=29583&rl=1

For most Office users MSQuery is a fine way to get data to make reports.
However, you probably would not use it for large data sets. Excel can handle
up to 65,536 records from a single query. Any more than that and you need
some other program to store the result table.

The heavy iron comes in when dealing with large databases. If you have
millions of records to plow through then you need more beef. That's where
you start to compare speed, optimizations, reporting automation
capabilities, etc of the various products on the market. Add the ability to
add predictive calculations and pump out thousands of web pages on demand
and you're now putting your system to work. MS Access is definitely not a
product you would use in this environment.

But if the database is in MS Access then chances are excellent that nothing
more is needed than Mac Office to generate even the fanciest of reports
without having to go through a steep learning curve.

<john@mcghie.name>, in article C1757048.50668%john@mcghie.name, on [DATE:

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

MVPs are not Microsoft Employees
MVP info http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

0
goldkey74 (611)

Prblm w/ photos ninserted in MS Word text box
I'm running Word 2004 on a Mac G5 running OS 10.4. When inserting a photo in a text box in a Word doc, some of the Picture Effects are not active.I want to add a shadow around the edge. When I click on the picture, the Picture Formatting Pallette opens, but the Shadow effect, next to "Effects" in the second row down is not active. What's going on? Mike in Atlanta On 12/20/05 5:35 PM, in article 1135118110.792146.154940@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com, "Mike in ATL" <mike.ventura@comcast.net> wrote: > I'm running Word 2004 on a Mac G5 running OS 10.4....

Turn off internet access in Outlook
I need to turn off internet access in Outlook. This includes "favorites" as well as "tools on the web". We have turned off internet access to our users but they still access the internet through Outlook. Can someone tell me how to do this? Thanks! ...

Page Break in Access Report
How do I get rid of the last page break in a report? The last page of my report is always followed by a blank page. Hi CC, How many pages is your report? If it is normally only one page, then the last page would be page 2. One possible cause of this symptom is having a report that is too wide. For example, if you are printing Portrait, on 8 1/2" X 11" paper, the following applies: 8.5 <= Left Margin + Report Width + Right Margin If your report is more than one page of data, and the sum of the above three settings is greater than 8.5 inches, then the classic sympto...

Office:Mac 2004
I did a complete clean install on my Mac first to Tiger, then an upgrade to Leopard. I then installed all my applications. Everything seems to work; however, in my Applications Folder, Microsoft Office 2004, Office Folder I have an English Dictionary and an English Dictionary 2. How did that happen? Can I delete the "2" safely? No. Leave it there. In general, messing with your Applications folder is not a good idea, especially for big complex programs such as the Office suite. In particular, most of the stuff in the Applications/Office 2004/Office folder is used to keep Office ...

Transferring Excel Spreadsheet into Access
I work in a Real Estate Brokerage Firm. We need to transfer our current excel based spreadsheet into Access. Our goal is to utilize Access for superior Database Management while maintaining Excel's calculator functions. Is that feasible and if so, how? Also can this be done in an HTML environment? Thanks. Nancy From my perspective, Excel provides strong "calculator" functions, as you describe it, while Access, as a relational database, offers strong database functionality. These represent two different tools. What about "Database Management" (whatever you mean by...

Can a standard column in MS Project be permanently hidden
We need to hide the Std Rate column in the resource views in MS Project for certain project managers (due to contractual requirements) so we are trying to determine if we can just hide it from everyone. We need to make it so it can't be added back. Even though it would be possible to set up a task and add 1 hour and look at the cost to get the rate, the requirement is that the Std Rate field be hidden. Is this something that is possible? This is for Project Server 2007 SP2 and MS Project Pro 2007 SP2. This is a frequently asked question and I'm afraid the answer is still ...

Can MS Works spreadsheet be imported into Excel?
Have tried to import a Works spreadsheet to Excel - have just updated to Excel and would have thought the two would be be compatible and seamless; when I try this I get an error.Any thoughts on how to do this or if it even can be done? In the File/Open dialog box, if you click the arrow next to "Files of Type", you'll see the list includes Microsoft Works 2.0. If your file is from a later version of Works, I believe you need to open it again in Works and save in either Works 2.0 or Excel format. The other option is to buy a converter like Dataviz' Conversions Plus for US$...

Self Joins in Access
Hi all! I'm having a bit of an issue making a self join in access (similar to the example explained on Allen Browne's excellent site - http://allenbrowne.com/ser-06.html). I've made the self join in the query window, however when I've tried to run the query i get the message "table t1 opened exclusively by another user, or it is already open through the user interface and cannot be manipulated programmatically" Initially I thought it might be a corruption problem - but I mocked up a similar self join in a brand new database, and still get the same error. I am usin...

Create a grid level button in ms CRM 4 using ISV Config.
I have this code in the ISVConfig in my custom entity. it is meant to create a grid level button in the custom entity. When i export the ISVConfig I get the error message "either the file could not be uploaded or this is not a valid customization file. Please help me, what am i doing wrong? <Entity name="new_projects <Grid> <Buttons> <Button Icon="/_imgs/ico_18_debug.gif" JavaScript="alert('test');" Client="Web"> <Titles> <Title LCID="1033" Text="New T...

Richtext in Access 2007 ADP
I understand that the standard rich text needs a memo field in a native access table. Is there any approach to use rich text in an ADP? TIA, Norbert Meiss ...

MS Query
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_001E_01C3675C.64744720 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Does anyone know where an SQL beginner can get basic help with commands = in MS Query. I have limited knowledge of SQL and want to be able to create my own = Queries in MS Query but as usual the help isn't. Web pages, news Forums etc.... I'm also after a job if anyone wants to know! Regards Dean=20 dkso@ntlworld.com=20 http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dkso=20 --- Outgoing mail is certified Viru...

Access Rights problem when trying to Sync.
I have installed the Sales for Outlook client and have had no problems using it in online mode. When I try to go offline I get an error stating. "You do not have sufficient permissions or access rights to perform this action." when I try to sync. This is CRM V1.0, Windows 2000, Exchange 2000, basically a vanilla install. Thanks, Jake Hi Jake I have the same problem but My version of Crm is 1.2 on windows 2003 in my event viewer i have Error Message: Acceso denegado. Error Details: You do not have sufficient permissions or access rights to perform this operation. Source Fil...

Populate Word UserForm Combo Box from Access
Does anyone know how to reference/populate a combo box which is on a userform within a Word document. I am trying to overcome the 25 item limit on a drop down combo box on a Word form. The way to do this seems to be to create a UserForm and add the combo box onto that. - this allows more than 25 items, but i cannot see how to populate it from within Access. The normal combo boxes on the document I populate like this: doc.FormFields("EmployeeName").Dropdown.ListEntries.Add Name:=rs!employeename I can populate the combo box on the userform from a Macro in the document itself...

Problem Importing Reorts into Access 2007
I need to convert an Access 2003 mdb into a 2007 accdb. The MS-Access conversion utility has resulting performance issues, such that I need to import objects manually into the 2007 accdb. This is a large mdb/accdb with over 10,000 objects - 3,800 of them are reports. Using the "select all" and import utility, results in an out of memory error. The solution is a table of report names, and a code loop to import the reports - splitting the import into (2) batches. Now for the problem. The first half of the reports import fine. The second half appear to import fine. ...

Syncing Exchange Tasks with mac office 2004
I am a mac laptop living on a windows run office. We are installing the latest exchange version, but have read that mac office 2004 will pull all your data from exchange except tasks. Is this true? Is there a work around? On 11/25/04 7:34 PM, in article BDCBC810.C76%kmurray@purcellmurray.com, "Kevin Murray" <kmurray@purcellmurray.com> wrote: > > I am a mac laptop living on a windows run office. > > We are installing the latest exchange version, but have read that mac office > 2004 will pull all your data from exchange except tasks. > > Is this true...

Latest Cumulative Rollups for MS CRM 4.0
Is that not an automatic CRM Outlook Client 4.0 install that includes all of the rollups? It would be so much easier if we didn't have to install the update rollup 3, then 7 then 9 (as an example). Can't we just get a client that automatically installs all of the required rollups? Appreciate a response. Hi Bernardina, Rollup7 was a bit of an exception for the CRM Team. Normally rullups are cumulative, but because the Rollup7 for the Outlook client was such a huge code change (much improved in my opinion), they decided that all users needed to start with that code-level before...

I've been trying to modify some of the .aspx pages and javascript to allow me to run CRM in an IFRAME of a shell app that I've written. It seems that I can get it to be about 75% functional, but some of the places where I need to make changes, if I remember correctly, are controls that I cannot edit. Does anyone know of or had success with loading CRM in a FRAME and/or IFRAME instead of defaulting to the main window? MS CRM uses a lot of javascript, some of which includes accessing frames and changing properties within other frames. If they've coded it to look at a specific fram...

Import Data From Access to Excel
Hi: I want to import data into Excel 2003 from Access 2003. I have an Access query that has 2 parameters and want to be able to pass those parameters from Excel. However, I see no way to pass those parameters-- I choose Data | Import External Data | Import Data option and choose an Access DSN. I run through the selections but there are no places to enter my Access parameters and I get the usual "Too few parameters..." error. There is also the option of Data | Import External Data | New Database Query, which I can build a query in Excel, and I can create parameters there in Excel, b...

Problem With Ms DataGrid
Hi ,I have a problem with Ms DataGrid version 6 (oledb). when I set the DataGrid recordset (by ado or oledb) ,and try to update the data in the grid ,if I press escape button(maybe twice) ,I'll get an error in the debug version of the program. How can I solve the problem ? thanks ...

MS Access Duplicates Query
While cleaning data recently, I stumbled accross this built-in query in Access 2003. Many of you may already know of this tool, if not give it a try as it is very simple to use. You can quickly locate and remove duplicates in your source data. Start by Importing your data into Access tables. Then go to Queries in the Objects pane. On the toolbar above, click the New button and select the 'Find Duplictes Query Wizard. You can then delete bad records here or export to Excel if you need to have your data validated or reviewed by your customer. This greatly helped out as I had 13 ...

Closing form minimizes entire Ms Access Application
Hello Guys, I have a problem and I hope you can help me. I have 2 forms. Form A and Form B. Form B opena from a link on Form A. I was having a problem with Form B ie it always opened offscreen. I used the following info from a different forum to fix this issue... I created a visible text box, named TxtHoldfocus, with its Left, Width and Height properties each set to 0". Then on the form's, ONOpen event I executed. I think we resolved this in the other forum, right? http://www.accessforums.net/forms/closing-form-minimizes-entire-ms-access-application-3869.html#post12310 ...

I deleted my profile, now I can not access the copy of the public folder on my client!
Hi, I hope that this question is new and nobody has done this misstake! I synchronized my public folders (including, tasks, calendar, notes ....) and made a backup on the *.pst files. I don't have any access any more to that LAN. Then (I can not explain why) I deleted the service (deleted the LAN-server) and everything disappeared. Do you have some advice? What is the name of the dbs where public folders are stored? The pst-files do not help me. Thank you for any help Best regards Georg If you were using an .ost file (offline exchange store) and you no longer have the connection ...

Bring back Internet Explorer for Mac
I understand some of your reasoning for discontinuing development of IE for Mac, but the down side for you is that you deprive your advertisers of a market share they might otherwise benefit from. As an advertising agency, we use all Macs. I am not anti-PC or anti-Microsoft by any means. My motives are somewhat self-serving in that there are a number of sites that require IE to access. Not enough to make a difference for us, but I would think that my original assertion should be reason enough. I am certainly aware that software development is not cheap, but the benefits must be weighe...

SBS2008
Main site SBS2008, branch site Windows Server 2008 Main site also has Windows Server 2003 servers as does the branch site. Problem, when accessing files from either the SBS2008 server from the branch site, or accessing files from the Windows Server 2003 from the main site over the WAN (10Mb) link some excel spreadsheets take literally minutes to open up. If I copy them to the Windows Server 2003 at either end then open then up across the WAN they open in seconds.!! Was never a problem before the 2008 boxes came along...am I missing a trick regards the 2008 boxes ? Jim....