Moving tool/format bar on Mac word

Version: 2008

Hi, folks. I had a little Mac in the '90s and loved it, then went to PC for a while, and now I just got a new iMac. While some things are great, there are certain things on the current Word 08 that seem a step backward - or maybe I just don't know how to do them right. I would love your help on two things. I'm a novelist and I do a lot of typing.

1. When I'm working in word and I want to bold something, cut and paste, or anything else, I have to drag my mouse all the way across the screen to the left hand corner...I really wish the toobar was at the TOP OF THE DOCUMENT like it is in PC Word, but I can't seem to make that happen, or even move the tool bar to the middle of the page, and at the very least, I can't even find how to put the formatting toolbar "bold," ruler, etc. up on the screen while I am working. I'm hoping there are ways to do this, but I've gone into preferences and haven't found them. Can you help me on any of this?

2. Every time I open a document, the lettering is so small! I have to go to zoom and then click 200 percent. I'd like to set Word to do that automatically so I can actually see the letters I'm typing - is there a way to set that as a preference?

These are pretty standard things; I think it'd be a shame if they purposely weren't doable on a Mac.

Oh, as for bolding, etc., yes, I know I can type certain keys to bold something, but I'd like to highlight it and use the mouse. Please help! Thanks! Caren
0
Caren1 (2)

On 4/25/08 9:03 AM, in article ee998df.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"Caren@officeformac.com" <Caren@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2008
>
> Hi, folks. I had a little Mac in the '90s and loved it, then went to PC for a
> while, and now I just got a new iMac. While some things are great, there are
> certain things on the current Word 08 that seem a step backward - or maybe I
> just don't know how to do them right. I would love your help on two things.
> I'm a novelist and I do a lot of typing.
Congratulations on moving back from the dark side.

> 1. When I'm working in word and I want to bold something, cut and paste, or
> anything else, I have to drag my mouse all the way across the screen to the
> left hand corner...I really wish the toobar was at the TOP OF THE DOCUMENT
> like it is in PC Word, but I can't seem to make that happen, or even move the
> tool bar to the middle of the page, and at the very least,
I don't understand what you are seeing. If the tool bar is docked on the
left, did you try dragging the tool bar's border to undock it, and move it
to where you want it?

>I can't even find
> how to put the formatting toolbar "bold," ruler, etc. up on the screen while I
> am working. I'm hoping there are ways to do this, but I've gone into
> preferences and haven't found them. Can you help me on any of this?
>
> 2. Every time I open a document, the lettering is so small! I have to go to
> zoom and then click 200 percent. I'd like to set Word to do that automatically
> so I can actually see the letters I'm typing - is there a way to set that as a
> preference?
Did you try click on on the toolbox icon in the title bar? This places the
formatting palette on the screen and you can drag it to wherever you want.

--
Bob Greenblatt [MVP], Macintosh
bobgreenblattATmsnDOTcom

0
bob6686 (387)

format changes when copying from one cell to another
I'm sure this is simple, but it is not clear to me... I am copying the contents of a group of cells that exist on one worksheet to another. In Sheet2, I tell cell A1 that it should equal Sheet1's A1 value. That works fine. But if the cell is blank on Sheet1, it comes up as "0" on Sheet2. I figured it was probably assuming numeric formatting, but when I right-click > format cell on both Sheet1 and Sheet2, both show up as "general", so why would Sheet2 take a blank value and populate it with "0" ?? I gather than you are putting a formula in one...

Problems with reading date/time format from SQL server
Helo! I made a pivot table. I get data from external source - SQL server. On of the columns is date/time type. For some reason unknown to me, Exce doesn't read this dates correctly. Instead of dots between months an days it puts little squares .. ?!? I opened the same file on m coworkers comp. and it works just fine. If anyone has already encountered this and knows how to fix it .. plase reply. thnx j -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com There may be some difficulties getting external data properly into Excel. If not done correctly you cannot use the data in formulae e....

Format Issue of Windows Mail and M.S. Group
Hi: When clicking to open any mails including this site, MS Newsgroup, top right pane of 'X' part is not visible. In the past, I used 'Shove-It' program that was found on the web-site, priced $15 that corrected this issue. However, this program is no longer effective, thus it went back to the original format, .... not fully opening content of mail of right side of pane, although I can read any mails by using 'maximizing bvutton' to open in full. Any imputs on this, above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, "Winter10" <Winter10No...

Date format in a report
The date is formatted in my table in yyyy/mmm/dd. In one report I need to run for another organization the format needs to be in dd/mmm/yyyy format. How can I change the way it displays in the report? I do not want to change it in the table as I generally want the format to be yyyy/mmm/dd. -- Charlie You can simply use either the format property for the control or you can use the Format() if you need to set the format to something that doesn't already exist. Format([YourDataFieldName],"dd/mmm/yyyy") -- Hope this helps, Daniel Pineault http://www.carda...

Move to match cells
A B C D E 1 000801025-8 009601025-3 2007 000801025-8 2007 2 000801026-9 009601026-4 2004 000801026-9 2004 3 000801028-1 009601028-6 2006 000801028-1 2006 4 000801036-8 009601036-3 2008 000801036-8 2008 5 000801044-5 009601044-0 2007 000801044-5 2007 6 000801044-5 009601055-0 2004 000801055-5 2004 7 000801055-5 009601064-8 2001 000801064-3 2001 8 000801055-5 009601091-2 2006 000801091-7 2006 9 000801064-3 009601095-6 2002 000801095-1 2002 10 000801091-7 009601097-8 1998 000801097-3 1998 11 000801091-7 009601098-9 2004 000801098-...

Reformat data to vertical format
Here is what I am trying to do. http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/totalcontrolproducts_OLD/download/images/Untitled-1.gif I have about a thousand records that I need in a vertical format with normal shared field name. Any suggestions -- Psydwaz ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Psydwaze's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2437 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=37965 see Creating a Spreadsheet from Database data (#dbdata) http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/snakecol.htm...

Slow Response time after server move to AD
I've recently moved my Windows 2003 Server running GP 8.0 from a stand alone server on a Novell network to a member server in Active Directory. The response time from client computers has slowed drastically. It also ocurred when the clients were part of Active Directory and the sevrer was still a stand alone (workgroup). Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be slowing the response time of GP, primarily on customer screens. Thanks! Ben DeGennaro ...

format negative dollars
We have 2 computers in this office, both with Office XP On one we get ($ 4.00) on the other we get -$ 4.00 This format seems to vary from file to files. Is there a way to set the default on Excel to ($ 4.00) ? Thanks Doug Doug, It might help to check the Regional Settings in the Control Panel (I assume your using windows). It has settings for currency and number displays which will affect excel. Check if yours and your co-workers settings are the same. Dan E "doug loewen" <doug@aacropolishomes.com> wrote in message news:004f01c38c25$5c483320$a401280a@phx.gbl... > W...

outlook 2003 inbox format
How can I eliminate the "Today", "Yesterday", "Last Week", etc? I much prefer the look of Outlook 2000. Thank you View > Arrange By > Show in groups "Trng Administrator" <Trng Administrator@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:49639DAB-7738-4951-B6AC-6A35AD2862FD@microsoft.com... > How can I eliminate the "Today", "Yesterday", "Last Week", etc? I much > prefer the look of Outlook 2000. > > Thank you neo [mvp outlook] wrote: > View > Arrange By > Show in groups That...

Duplicate entries & Conditional Formatting
Is there a formula indicate duplicate data on 2 different worksheets? I want the font to change to bold. Thanks. Yes, provided it is a named range within the same workbook. Select the cells and Format>Conditional Formatting>Formula Is> =COUNTIF(MyRange,A2)>0 Format for the change if TRUE. -- Greeting from the Gulf Coast! http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays "hmm" <hmm@hmm.com> wrote in message news:3FCCCF2F.42E759CF@hmm.com... > Is there a formula indicate duplicate data on 2 different worksheets? I > want the font to change to bold. > > Thanks. > ...

RMS Migration Tools?
Does anyone know of any tools to migrate data into Microsoft RMS? I need to do a onetime migration from csv files into RMS. Any help on this would be great. QSCIMP.EXE Does this. It will import directly from a CSV into the DB <steve@sequenzia.com> wrote in message news:953cb9c6-fa52-4007-bd12-971f7d14d1c4@s50g2000hsb.googlegroups.com... > Does anyone know of any tools to migrate data into Microsoft RMS? I > need to do a onetime migration from csv files into RMS. Any help on > this would be great. ...

Move a particular named sheet to the end.
Using macros, how can I move a sheet called TOTAL to become the very last sheet within a workbook? Your assistance will be appreciated. -- Thank U and Regards Ann Try this: Worksheets("Total").Move after:=Worksheets(Worksheets.Count) "Ann" wrote: > Using macros, how can I move a sheet called TOTAL to become the very last > sheet within a workbook? > > Your assistance will be appreciated. > > -- > Thank U and Regards > > Ann > Barb, Works a treat, thank you for your assiatance. -- Thank U and Regards Ann "Barb Reinhar...

Powerpoint with Excel formatted information
My team has an excel file with Text and Icons in a status report format. We use it to copy and insert paste into Powerpoint. After copying into Powerpoint, I try to select it and edit but powerpoint gives an error that says: "There isn't enough memory available to read the Excel file" Other team members use this same excel template and powerpoint and they can edit the information after it is copied to powerpoint. And I can use their files and they work fine. Only one team member has this issue so somehow this person's excel file is using a massi...

Hiding Column and Row Bars.
I know theres a way to costumize the way you view an excel page by hiding toolbars, but is there a way to hide the rows and column bars just so all you can see is the actual page. E.G. is there a way to Hide the top bar that defines the colums "A", "B", "C","D" and Rows 1,2,3,4,5. Go to Tools>Options>View, there are a number of options you can play with there. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "tamato43" <tamato43@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7D1E5DEB-D6F2-47C8-95E2-2...

Outlook Express address bk. from Mac to Outlook PC ?? Help
I am trying to export the address bk from my Outlook Express (Mac OS 9.2) to a form that my Outlook PC (Windows XP) can read and use. Any thoughts on what procedure to follow. When I export from the Mac it just saves it as a "Simple text" file - no much good for what I want to do. Any thoughts??? ...

Help with cells auto formatting
Hi, I have posted a similar question before however I never really got this sorted so sorry for repeating myself. Basically I use two spreadsheets daily at work all with various information on and various formats in each Column. My problem is when I close the spreadsheet and reopen it the cells that are formatted as 'general' or 'number' turn into Euro currencies. Does anyone know why this happens or how I can stop it? The spreadsheets aren't stored locally they are stored on a serve that only myself and my boss can get onto and we both have the same p...

Help on adding values to a bar chart
Hello, Here is my problem. I currently have a bar chart that has 8 X-axis bars. I need to add 2 more to the X-axis. The labels for the x-axis are based on cells within another spreadsheet, but are not consecutive cells, they are spread apart. So when I go to add the two more cells, I can only add one. When I click on the second cell to add it to the list, all of the previous cells get unselected. I have even tried to manually add these two values in. Is there a limit to how many values can be on the X-axis? Please Help!!! Thanks. To select non-consecutive cells: select first cell, h...

Having different gap widths among bars
Hi, I tried to 2 different gap widths among yearly bars and monthly bars. No success. Any resolution or a better way to handle this kind of presentation? Advice is greatly appreciated. MW Do you want a bunch of years to the left, and a bunch of months to the right? Put your months on the secondary axis, and include lots of blanks in the beginning of the series data range, so the months pile up toward the right. Include blanks at the end of the yearly series data range to push those bars to the left. Right click the chart, choose Chart Options, and click on the Axes tab. Check th...

protect formatting #3
I have a shared workbook with many worksheets in it that many people need to fill in. How can I protect the formatting of it so that they cannot change it. Also when they copy and paste things into the worksheets I would like the format to revert to how I have set it?? Thanks! ...

Number Format
Is this available/possible? The difference between engineering and Scientific is that engineering is always in the form of "11.11En where "n" is a multiple of 3. Thanks, Bill Hi AFAIK this is not possible in Excel -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Bill Allen" <ballense@cox.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1eq6d.26462$7k.7198@okepread05... > Is this available/possible? > The difference between engineering and Scientific is that engineering is > always in the form of "11.11En where "n" is a multiple of 3. > > Thanks, &g...

Prevent conditional formatting from being override
E.g When I copy a cell (sheetname = "Main" with normal data + comment) to another worksheet cell (sheetname = "test") with conditional formatting , the conditional formatting is gone. How to prevent it? Paste value only? Yep - If you can't protect the cell then you need to use edit / paste special / values or formulas etc -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ------------------------------�------------------------------�---------------- It's easier to beg forgivenes...

conditional formatting not working in every cell
I have a worksheet that has conditional formatting set for an grade that is below 95 to turn red. The total worksheet has 160 entries and the formatting works on most of the cells except 4 vells show a grade of 95 and its in red. There are several other cells that are at 95 and are not red. I did a paste special across the worksheet, I have also tried to change the cell itself and I still get the same problem. Any way to fix this? Is it possible that your CF refers to the cell above or below the actua cell? i.e conditional formatting in B2 looks in B1 or B3 Something to look into. Re...

Change bars color
Hello, I have a dinamic chart to show the cash flow position, a scrool bar chagne the data to the past and to the future (estimate), what I am looking for is, to have an easy identification of the estimated period I would like to chage the color of the bar. I am using an Stacked Column chart with two variables. any Ideias? -- regards from Brazil Thanks in advance for your feedback. Marcelo What I usually do when I want to show a column chart with one color within a certain range and another color elsewhere, is create two series, one each color, and use formulas to change on series ...

Cond. Formatting depending of value in another sheet
Hi all, I've tried to do conditional formatting whether the cellvalue i another sheet is greater or smaller than the cellvalue I have in th active cell. I've tried to do "formula is" IF(B34<Sheet1!B34)and format, but it won work. Any help is apprecciated!! //Thoma -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Try: =B34<Sheet1!B34 -- Andy. "Jonsson >" <<Jonsson.1635tc@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:Jonsson.1635tc@excelforum-nospam.com... > Hi all, > > I've tried to do conditional formatting whether the ...

Mac problems opening excel files when connected to two windows shares