Microsoft Office Mac 2008 Not Responding

I am having the worst luck with my brand new M.O.M. 2008 (both under
SP1 and SP2). Whenever I try to launch any of the apps, I get the
spinning pinwheel  and "application not responding" -- for about 90
seconds!  Then the application stabilizes and starts running.

I am on a MacPro tower running OS 10.5.7
  Model Identifier:	MacPro1,1
  Processor Name:	Dual-Core Intel Xeon
  Processor Speed:	2.66 GHz
  Number Of Processors:	2
  Total Number Of Cores:	4
  L2 Cache (per processor):	4 MB
  Memory:	5 GB
  Bus Speed:	1.33 GHz
  Boot ROM Version:	MP11.005D.B00
  SMC Version (system):	1.7f10
  Serial Number (system):	G8xxxxxxxxx

This is very frustrating that after 26 years Microsoft can't even make
a program that will run without crashing or even starting. But at
least they got my $300.

Why are you so quick to blame Office? Thousands of us have the same setup without a problem.

The first thing I would do with those symptoms would be to use Disk Utility and verify disk and repair permissions. Next, make certain that you don't have a bad memory module. If you bought Apple Care, use the TechTool disk to check this.

You say this is a brand new machine. Get Apple Tech Support involved. There is no reason why Office 2008 shouldn't run on your Mac.
On 7/21/09 5:03 PM, in article
63cdc02c-ee15-4200-8f01-b8204b965ab8@g1g2000pra.googlegroups.com, "Jeff"
<jeffyerkey@gmail.com> wrote:

> Whenever I try to launch any of the apps, I get the
> spinning pinwheel  and "application not responding" -- for about 90
> seconds!

See this link for solutions for Office 2008 slow to open:

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/troubleshoot/crashes.html#crash46>

--
Diane

Office 98 (Mac) files in Office 2008 (Mac)
I am helping a friend who has upgraded for a G3 Mac to a G5 Mac. She had Office 98 on the old Mac and has purchased Office 2008 for the new Mac. When she attempts to open her old files she gets a dialog box asking her what format she wants to open the files in. RTF, Word etc. No matter which one she chooses she gets garbled files. HELP. On 2/26/08 12:02 PM, in article ee8edd1.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "cerwelt@officeformac.com" <cerwelt@officeformac.com> wrote: > I am helping a friend who has upgraded for a G3 Mac to a G5 Mac. She had > Office 98 on the old Mac and ha...

You can't exit MS Office Access Now
Hi, I have an access database that is designed to run a report and create a pdf file. I have an autoexec macro that will open the form and print it. My final step in the autoexec macro is to exit the application. I placed a delay so that the database would have time to create the pdf file from the report. If I don't have this in, it closes the program before it is written. I wrote a module and stuck the step into my autoexec macro before the exit step. The code is below: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Public Function testCDO() ...

Microsoft Access and SQL Server
My company is converting from Oracle to SQL Server 2005. My front end is Microsoft Access 2003. In the conversion, they changed our customer and transaction numbers from decimal fields to BigInt. When I do a make table query in Access, those fields change to text as it is my understanding Access does not support BigInt. Am I correct? Many of my applications use a combination of make table and append queries to get the data I need (most of my stuff my run standalone with no network connection). Linking the tables through queries, reports, etc., will not work with inconsistent data ...

Office 2010 Visio Pro or Standard installation problem to terminal
Hi Technet Plus subscriber - have installed Office2010ProPlus and Office2010Project successfully to terminal server using provided keys and downloads on TechNet Plus website. However, keys provided for Office 2010 Visio - either Pro or Std do not allow installation in a term serv environment. I am unable to progress past the product code input dialog. I've looked further using cscript vspp.vbs /dstatusall and noted that there are many different varients of product codes Retail/Retail2/MSDN etc. Is the provided download for Visio the wrong one or simply the keys provided ...

Microsoft Software used in Alternative Fuel Source
To whom this may concern, I have developed a way to used an "alternative fuel source" that will create jobs nation wide and with a bit of development, can reach out globally. In order for me to disclose more information about the subject I must receive interest and feedback from Microsoft. I have sent similar messages to Spain's Modragon as well as other leading corporations here in the U.S. The first to act will receive my full devotion to the company. If this message does not apply to this department please forward to the correct cite please. Sincerely, Anto...

IMFv2 Microsoft Update caught in "needs update" loop after January 5, 2005 Update (Exchange 2003 SP2)
We applied Exchange 2003 SP2 last year without incident, and we enabled and configured IMFv2 to pull updates down from Microsoft Update with no problems. The December 15, 2005 IMF Update (6.5.7757.0) was identified and installed correctly last year. Last night as part of the regular monthly updates, a new update to IMF was identified, January 5, 2006 IMF Update (6.5.7765.0), we applied it along with the other Critical Updates and rebooted the server. When the server came back up shortly after, Automatic Updates identified the old December Update to IMF as needing to be installed even th...

How to import excel file into Microsoft GP!!
Hi, Can anyone provide me with some codes for importing excel sheets into GP database ? Regards Best advice is either: A: use integration manager to bring the excel data in (recommended) B: Use table import to bring in either a tab or comma delimeted file Best regards Mike <bikesh.vaidya@gmail.com> wrote in message news:f8910863-60d3-4d1c-ba67-0fab84617052@v32g2000prd.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > Can anyone provide me with some codes for importing excel sheets into > GP database ? > > Regards MichaelG is right. Any other method starts to get hard. (mail merge m...

Microsoft Project Gateway in Portfolio Server 2007
Hello I have installed Project Server 2007 SP2 with Language Packages SP2, Portfolio Server 2007 with SP2, SQL Server 2005 with SP3. All in one server I have configured the Project Server Gateway with an attribute mapping template. The customs fields that are text and number can sincrhonize OK with Project Server. But the custom fileds that are lookup tables in Project Server can not syncronize with custom fields that are list type in Portfolio Server. I have created simple custom fields with an lookup table but I can´t syncrhonize I dont get any error in event view...

Outlook not responding #9
My Outlook for some reason is now not responding. I've tried rebooting a few times, but still the same problem. Any ideas about what I can do to get Outlook to respond? Should I uninstall Outlook, then reinstall it? If so, is all my data saved from now and accessible after reinstalling? Thanks, Steve Hi, Goto the Task Manager and then end task all the Outlook.exe found there. Also, uninstalling and reinstalling of Outlook does not result in the loss of the data. Hope this helps !!! Regards, Sudharson.AN "Steve" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in ...

even the codes in microsoft's help section don't work
i found this code by pressing screenupdating in the help section of vba. it doesn't work. it says i is undefined. so i write dim i as integer. then it says starttime is undefined. Dim elapsedTime(2) Application.screenupdating = True For i = 1 To 2 If i = 2 Then Application.screenupdating = False startTime = Time Worksheets("Sheet1").Activate For Each c In ActiveSheet.Columns If c.Column Mod 2 = 0 Then c.Hidden = True End If Next c stopTime = Time elapsedTime(i) = (stopTime - startTime) * 24 * 60 * 6...

out of office not working good (exch 2003)
Hello, I work with exchange 2003 and everything seems to work well. Just have problems with out of office! To some clients my out of office is not working right! my server is set to allow out of office replies to outside also (in the default ==> advanced settings) but when i try it, it sometimes works (did once in my last tests) but most of the time it doesn't. The same with internal out of office replies but this goes a bit better. I set logging on rules to maximum and one of the message is this: The rule (#NET FOLDERS#) with sequence number 0 is being ignored because it is di...

Re: Entourage for Mac Error
Thanks very much. I went into my account and unchecked all the boxes I the Receiving mail menu except for "This POP service requires a secure secure connection (SSL)" and it seems to work now. Allan On 10-01-11 8:34 PM, in article C77111AD.21F14%EntourageHelp@gmail.com, "Diane_Ross_MVP@officeformac.com" <Diane_Ross_MVP@officeformac.com> wrote: > On 1/11/10 1:17 PM, in article C770FF97.2A36%jigtime@sympatico.ca, "Allan > Meltzer" <jigtime@sympatico.ca> wrote: > >> Today, all of >> a sudden, I can not access my...

Customizing Word97 - Get rid of "Microsoft Word
I'm going to night school to get a better degree and working on a paper. I've decided to aid my work by using my old computer to simulate having dual monitors. This leaves me with using good old Word97 to write the paper. Is there any way that I can shorten what is written on the taskbar so I can easily identify which document I have open is which segment and which is the Works Cited page via filenames? They all show up as "Microsoft ..." at the moment. I'd like to either change it so the filename is first, or eliminate the string that says "Microsoft Word&...

Long File Names in Office.X
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3156168936_2862024 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit My OS X system supports long file names just fine, but when I open these files in Office they get truncated to something with a code at the end, such as #4587. I researched this and there is logic to the code (according to Microsoft), but it is a real pain when I am sharing files with Windows users and their systems support these long file na...

Taste this internet update from the Microsoft
--jowssxokvo Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="jukqxrdabzx"; type="multipart/alternative" --jukqxrdabzx Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="ygcghhjyswr" --ygcghhjyswr Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "November 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to help maintain the security of your computer from these vulner...

Outlook 2002 and Office 2000
If I try to perform critical updates on Outlook 2002, it demands my Office 2000 CD (my O2k is currently patched to SP3). When I supply it, it's the 'wrong version'. So I reinstalled from the O2k CD, and then proceed to patch Outlook 2002 to SP2. It then goes on to patch O2k to SP3 again, which presumably means I can't patch Outlook any more without *reinstalling* O2k?????!???? Anyone help? Thanks, John ...

Office 2003 Outlook does not have newsgroups feature
Hi I've install Office 2003 with Outlook. I found that Outlook does have have newsgroups feature. Is it true? Regards Robin It never has. It still calls OE in news only mode, just as all other version of Outlook do. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "robin" <wee789@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OtWFHO$PEHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi > > I've install Office 2003 with Outlook. I found that Outlook does have have > newsgroups feature. Is it true? > > Regards > Robin > > Which means I can only use Outlook Express for newsgroups...

Office 2000 Macros do not work in Office for Mac 2004
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel A previous employee set up a Macro so that when a cell in an Excel sheet was filled in, the contents of another cell would be copied and pasted into a Word document. This meant that when work reached a particular stage, the name and address of the client would be copied and entered into a Word template ready to send to the appropriate place. <br><br>However, this only works on the PCs running Office 2000; the Macs running Office for Mac 2004 (which I am told still has VBA on board) are unable to run this ...

Word 2008 crashing.
Didn't have a problem until yesterday, and now I'm crashing a lot. I looked at the previous post in this newsgroup and tried doing the fix for a bad document or bad font, but to no avail. Anybody have any suggestions? Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0 Error Signature: Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS Date/Time: 2008-04-04 14:23:33 -0700 Application Name: Microsoft Word Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Word Application Signature: MSWD Application Version: 12.0.1.080305 Crashed Module Name: Microsoft Word Crashed Module Version: 12.0.1.080305 Crashed Module Offset: 0x00705e1e B...

Desktop folder redirection, Terminal Server 2008
I have a Server 2008 Terminal Server installed in an SBS 2003 network. I cannot get the desktop to redirect to the network profiles folder. I have followed the documentation, have the TS in its own OU and have a TS GP created. I have folder redirection enabled and pointed to a share on another folder and it works. However, the TS users desktop is still local and I do not want this. I have installed the Server 2008 client-side extensions on the SBS 2003 server but this has not made a difference. I would also like to hide the 'Personal Folder' from the star menu so the ...

OnExit event is not responding for a Text Box which is at the final tab order?
I have a form bounded to a table. I am entering data by this form. The text box at the final tab order has a OnExit event code. If some certain criteria is not satisfied, text box does not allow the user to exit the text box. If the text box is not at the final tab order, OnExit code is working well. But when it is as final tab order, it is not working and Record to received into Table which is not satisfy my criteria which i defined in that text box. What can I do ? Thanks ...

POS 2009 moving database to SQL Server 2008
Hi I've been working on my MSPOSINSTANCE\database (importing customers, items etc) for POS 2009. Once I decided to move the database to SQL server 2008, it seems that all my user accounts do not seem to work anymore. After reading the forums, people are suggesting that the user accounts get reset once Dynamics POS 2009 attempts to reconnect to a new location. What I haven't figured out how to specify new passwords so that I can log back in. In the getting started guide (p31), suggest there are special instructions to get the database installed on SQL server 2008, but I ...

Can I Install SQL Express on SBS 2008 Std.?
I have a standard version of SBS 2008 (64-bit). SQL is installed by default for SBSMonitoring and other services. I'd like to be able to use this copy of SQL to host one of my own tables. I need to be able to connect to the database from one of my desktops in my network. When creating a System DSN to make the connection it returns server not found or permission denied. I'm using windows authentication for the DNS. I am able to manage the SQL instance when logged into the server itself but not remotely from the desktop. Is not possible or am I doing something wrong? ...

ms office professional 2003
Whenever I run a worksheet, no matter how small, I keep running out of virtual memory, and the file freezes up. I get a message that the programme is not responding, and have to log out. Anyone got any suggestions to cure this problem? Among other possibilities, either VM settings on your computer have been improperly modified or more likely you are running out of consective free space on your hard disk. When is the last time it was defragmented? How much free space is available? HTH |:>) "frustrated" wrote: > Whenever I run a worksheet, no matter how small, I keep run...

Out of Office attendant.
It seems that our out of office attendant only works internally. Clients from the outside do not seem to receive any out of office messages from users that turn this service on. I checked the KB - cant find anything. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBS?= <JohnR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:B43355E2-E6F2-48D7-8571-70ECA3DD157B@microsoft.com: ESM -> Global Settings -> Internet Message Formats -> Properties of Default -> Advanced Tab -> Allow Out Of Office Response > It seems that our out of office attendant only w...