Microsoft Office 2008 Compatibility with Snow Leopard?

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

Hi,

I'm posting this message in the hope that I someone will be able to advise me, whether Office for Mac 2008 SP2 will be compatibile with Snow Leopard?

Many thanks in advance,

Neil
0
NeilH1 (1)

On 8/26/09 2:40 PM, in article 59b7b000.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"NeilH@officeformac.com" <NeilH@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I'm posting this message in the hope that I someone will be able to advise me,
> whether Office for Mac 2008 SP2 will be compatibile with Snow Leopard?

We are waiting on an official announcement. The following is my unofficial
opinion.

I think we can safely assume Office 2008 will work.

Office 2004 and Office X run on Rosetta so you'll need to install Rosetta
when installing Snow Leopard.

My advice:

1) Have a full backup of everything before installing Snow Leopard.
2) Read as much as you can and be sure you update applications when needed.

I found answers to many of my questions in this TUAW article: Mac 201:
Preparing your Mac for Snow Leopard  <http://tinyurl.com/px2fts>

Another source:

<http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20090813160052571>

Two popular applications that many Entourage Office users use SuperDuper and
1Password will both need to be upgraded. The SuperDuper update will be free,
but the 1Password upgrade is $19.95.

<https://agilewebsolutions.com/store>

Shirt Pocket Watch (SuperDuper) <http://www.shirt-pocket.com/blog/>

To view what kind (Universal or PowerPC) your favorite applications are, use
the Apple System Profiler. Select "Applications" in the list and it shows
"kind". Sorting by Kind column makes it really easy.

Note: the Rosetta program itself doesn't take up much space - only a couple
of megabytes.

--
Diane Ross, Microsoft Mac MVP
Follow us on twitter <https://twitter.com/entouragehelp>

Hi Neil;

One point to add to Diane's reply:

Both the Windows & OS X operating systems have at least one incontrovertible
common aspect -- they're mass-produced, marketing-driven products.

Just like any such product, what is released based on marketing deadlines is
*rarely* right. Those who are obsessed with being the first kid on the block
to have it are the final link in the quality control food chain. Regardless
of what MS or Apple or anyone else might "announce" there will be problems,
and those problems will not be resolved until after the real world stuff
hits the fan. Advice before the product even hits the streets is like
getting reassurances from the guy trying to sell it to you and a gaggle of
other pseudo-authorities who have no first-hand knowledge or experience with
the product.

Once a couple of updates have been released by both companies the dust will
start to settle and a genuinely intelligent conclusion can be drawn. If
compatibility really is the concern "Wait and see!" is the best advice.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 8/26/09 5:40 PM, in article 59b7b000.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"NeilH@officeformac.com" <NeilH@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2008
> Processor: Intel
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm posting this message in the hope that I someone will be able to advise me,
> whether Office for Mac 2008 SP2 will be compatibile with Snow Leopard?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Neil

I totally agere with CyberTaz.  I installed Snow Leopard the first day it
came out.  My printer immediately quit working (came back up 3 or 4 days
later when a EFI upgrade was sent out).  Programs quit responding and crash a
lot more frequently.   I have also had numerous problems with Word.  Mainly
stability and file saving issues (it quits responding when trying to save
files, especially to a network drive). I am sure the issues will be resolved
shortly, once it is decided who is responsible.  I am glad I have more than
one computer and can use the one that has not been upgraded to Snow leopard
(which will now not be for a couple of months!).  It is the last time I will
be first purchaser of a new operating system.  I'll remember that when
Windows 7 comes out!

"CyberTaz" wrote:

> Hi Neil;
>
> One point to add to Diane's reply:
>
> Both the Windows & OS X operating systems have at least one incontrovertible
> common aspect -- they're mass-produced, marketing-driven products.
>
> Just like any such product, what is released based on marketing deadlines is
> *rarely* right. Those who are obsessed with being the first kid on the block
> to have it are the final link in the quality control food chain. Regardless
> of what MS or Apple or anyone else might "announce" there will be problems,
> and those problems will not be resolved until after the real world stuff
> hits the fan. Advice before the product even hits the streets is like
> getting reassurances from the guy trying to sell it to you and a gaggle of
> other pseudo-authorities who have no first-hand knowledge or experience with
> the product.
>
> Once a couple of updates have been released by both companies the dust will
> start to settle and a genuinely intelligent conclusion can be drawn. If
> compatibility really is the concern "Wait and see!" is the best advice.
>
> Regards |:>)
> Bob Jones
> [MVP] Office:Mac
>

> On 8/26/09 5:40 PM, in article 59b7b000.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
> "NeilH@officeformac.com" <NeilH@officeformac.com> wrote:
>
> > Version: 2008
> > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
> > Processor: Intel
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm posting this message in the hope that I someone will be able to advise me,
> > whether Office for Mac 2008 SP2 will be compatibile with Snow Leopard?
> >
> > Many thanks in advance,
> >
> > Neil

0
GC (17)

I loaded Office.Tried 2 load free Publshr.3hrslatrcantfindpg.
I got mesg. to download Office/Student.Then Publisher offered free trial.Friend & I tried for 2-3 hrs.Then after sone left 4 school, I've been trying different miscrosoft sites to find that page & can't.Can you please help me?I wld really like to try it?Thank you.My tech know-how is lmtd.But I try to do it self 1st.Thank you. What page can't you find? What did you try for 2 to 3 hrs? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "10WHIZ2BE" <10WHIZ2BE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in...

Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe v17.0 and missing 401(k) fund from man
We had recently upgraded from Microsoft Money 2006 to Money Plus Deluxe v17.0. All accounts/transactions seemed to have converted just fine. However, one 401(k) fund does not appear under Money Plus' 401(k) manager. The fund that does not appear under the manager is the only account that has online services previously enabled. Is there a way of adding this fund into the manager? In microsoft.public.money, jimjobmon wrote: >We had recently upgraded from Microsoft Money 2006 to Money Plus Deluxe >v17.0. All accounts/transactions seemed to have converted just fine. However, &g...

Office 2004 upgrade #2
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3189969698_43795 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit I just upgraded to Office 2004 from Office X. Using the install CD is found my old info and that worked fine. I also asked it to delete old versions of office. I came up with Office X. It moved everything to the trash and asked me to just empty the trash. I did, but now I am getting errors in the trash telling me that the operation cannot ...

Microsoft Money 2004
I just upgraded from Money 2002 to Money 2004. Can somebody please explain why I just paid AUD$80 for THE SAME SOFTWARE? Very, very disapointed. What information did you rely on to set your value expectation level that M04 was way different, indeed AUD$80 better, than M02? That might help explain it better than we can. "Paul Ward" <pbward@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:04b401c35bb8$b9fea7d0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I just upgraded from Money 2002 to Money 2004. Can > somebody please explain why I just paid AUD$80 for THE > SAME SOFTWARE? > > Very, very disa...

AutoCorrect in Excel not fully setup
According to Excel Help it states: "AutoCorrect is set up by default with a list of typical misspellings and symbols, but you can modify the list that AutoCorrect uses." When I go to Excel Option > Proofing > AutoCorrect Options button, on the AutoCorrect tab, all the boxes are checked, but there is nothing listed below where it says: Replace: (and) With:. When I go to Word, they are a list of default words listed, but nothing in Excel. I have reinserted the CD to do a repair, but it still does not have anything in the AutoCorrect fields. I am not sure if thi...

Office 2004 not working after migrating all files from iBook to Mac Book Pro
I got a new Mac Book Pro and transferred all my files from the iBook to the Mac Book Pro (2.4 Ghz) using Firewire during the installation / setup process. None of the Office 2004 apps work. When I start Word, the icon just bounces on the dock. When I click on a Powerpoint file, the Powerpoint icon also just bounces on the dock. Nothing happens. That's normal. Sorry, you can't transfer installed applications that way. And Apple and Microsoft should sort this out. In your Microsoft Office 2004 folder you will find a "Remove Office" tool. Run it, twice, to remove ALL copie...

Using Office for Mac

Copy/Paste from Wordto Excel changes formatting
I have a user who has pasted some Word information into Excel, but the Bold and Italics didn't copy to Excel. When I tested this, my formatting copies over with no problem. Does anyone know why this might happen? Thank you. Lisa, I get the same results as you. When your friend does it does she have WORD and EXCEL windows open at the same time? I find that if this is the case then the formatting always works. Please hit Yes if my comments have helped. Thanks! "LisaK" wrote: > I have a user who has pasted some Word information into Excel, but the B...

Office 98 Word won't print keeps asking for chooser
I've had Word 98 set up on a Mac running OS 9.1 for years, working fine. I've just gone to a dual-boot machine with OS 9.2.2 and OS X, and I did purchase and install Office vX for the OS X volume. But I also installed Office 98 again in the OS 9.2.2 volume. Everything seems fine but I can't print (nor can I use Page Setup). No matter how many times I go to the Chooser and select the printer, Word keeps telling me to go to the Chooser and select the printer. Can anyone help me with this? MS won't support this software (even though it's the only version they have for OS 9, is...

office map help
I'm trying to create an office layout on visio 2000. I'm very new to this and am having problems. When I drag a room to the sheet, and try to resize it, it resizes the room, but the borders (or walls) don't resize, what am i doing wrong? Any help or suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance, Nydia I'm not sure what you mean. For one, the wall thickness *shouldn't* resize, normally. Or are you having another problem? Can you post images? Randall Arnold "nydia" <nmazon@anixter.org> wrote in message news:03bf01c36745$854d...

Word and office pricing
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Why does the MS Student and Home Office for mac cost $149.95, while MS Word for Mac costs 229.95. (Prices from Apple Store). Are they the same version of Word? I would expect Office to cost more than Word. There's no difference at all in the software: it's bit-for-bit the same thing. However, the packaging (the optional extras included with it) are different. Home and Student does not include a couple of items that you probably can't use anyway: Automator Actions and Exchange Connectivity. If you...

duplicate mailboxes in microsoft outlook
I am in the process of migrating my mailboxes over to our new exchange 2003 server. I went into ADUC and right clicked the user id. I selected move mailbox under exchange tasks. Everything went smoothly. Then I created a new exchange profile pointing to the new server for the mailbox. Everything worked fine until I opened the mailbox and discovered there was the main mailbox and a duplicate one below it with my username. I went into the mail section of the control panel and checked it there and sure enough there were two distinct duplicate mailboxes. How do I get rid of the second box? ...

Unable to view electronic newsletter ( win 7 + office 2003 sp3)
Hi guys Recently, my users having problem viewing actual content from some particular mail from outlook 2003. It only happens to electronic newsletter. It happen to 2 new pc with window 7 & office 2003 sp3 setup. Win XP setup with office 2003sp3 got no issue. I tried many ways to configure outlook, but still same problem. When viewing from their webmail, there is no problem. So problem lies somewhere in the win7 pc . Compatibility issue ? Please advise. Below is part of the content when view from Outlook... Content-class: urn:content-classes:message MIME-Version: 1....

Need Microsoft web hosting for Exchange, ASP, Sharepoint, and SQL
I currently have [URL=http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=7001514]1and1[/URL] as a web host for some clients because they have Windows servers with Exchange, ASP, Sharepoint, and SQL at really good rates. What I don't like is that they only pay a finders fee and what I want is the same services and products but with shared or reseller accounts rather than a finders fee. Anybody have any suggestion? Thanx, Dave. ...

MS Office XP Outlook
I have problems w/ Outlook not responding when an email message contains an attachment. This requires that I reload Office. Is there a solution? Please keep me in mind when you receive a reply. Think I have the same problem!! Edwan Not responding? you mean freezes? OL or the complete sys? Is other mail OK, is it all atachments or those that OL will block by default? In any case it is possible to do a detect/repair from the origonal installation disks, or even uninstall OL and install on its own. If other Office Apps function correctly a complete uninstall/reinstall is hardly called for...

About the microsoft fix for INSufficient Buffer for print
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822779#appliesto microsoft specified something to fix the print error. I couldn't find what they try to say. they specified one file. If change that file in our system is it resolves my problem. They specify the file version and size. but i couldn't find any file similar to net. where can i found that. they specified the file Date Time Version Size File name --------------------------------------------------------- 10-Jun-2003 15:54 5.0.2195.6753 1,757,712 Win32k.sys Can any one send this fil...

Microsoft CRM 3.0
Hi, We've installed Microsoft CRM 3.0 successfully, but have problems installing the sample data. I have a 10 user licence, obtained from MSDN, and have setup test users in Active Directory & CRM. I then run the Microsoft.Crm.Tools.SampleDataWizard.exe and it allows me to pick four users(I've actually setup more but it didn't give me anymore options) from Active Directory. When I click NEXT to proceed to the next step it just displays the message 'invalid user name' . I tried with another set of users that had not been setup in CRM and were just in AD, same error mes...

Lost addresses when converted from office to outlook
My computer came with a free 90 day preview of office. I put all my email addresses into it. When the office subscript ended, I was automatically converted to Outlook Express 6.0. However, none of my email address came with it. How do I transfer my email addresses from my former Offfice to my new Outlook Express? You can't. You would have to export them to a format OE can use, such as CSV. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Doug" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:28f8a01c464f5$df4cbd50$a501280a@phx.gbl... > My computer came with a free 9...

All Office Apps quit very slowly with no internet connection. #2
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have Office version 12.2.1 installed. I have noticed since about 12.1.x that if I do not have an internet connection, when I close Word, Excel, or PPoint, the apps close out very slowly. The screen cleans up, but the info in the menu bar is very slow to close out completely. I have even visited the Apple store to verify this. It happens on two of my MBP's. If there is an internet connection, then it's fast to close out completely. This was an issue with Office 2004 until one of those updates fixed that issue. ...

Microsoft Money 2006 for the Pocket PC
It's now available at: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6f040b65-42f5-4dca-b301-9f05a8583692&DisplayLang=en -- Michael Gordon MVP Amen! Works fine for me. Thanx much. "Michael Gordon, MVP" wrote: > It's now available at: > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6f040b65-42f5-4dca-b301-9f05a8583692&DisplayLang=en > > -- > Michael Gordon > MVP > > > > No Joy. Money Deluxe 2006 already installed and I installed Money for PPC 2006 Problems: 1) If you install MPPC2006 in anything ot...

Photo Shop Compatible to XP/SP3
Hi: I've been using 'Microsoft Digital Image 2006' since 2007 or earlier. It's been a terrific program, particularly 'Photo Shop' when in needing to enhance images and etc. However, on XP/SP3, MDI 2006 is VERY sluggish and often it's hard to load photoes. My question is; What or which Photo-Shop/program is more compatible to XP/SP3? Thanks for your help in advance. MapleE. wrote: > Hi: > I've been using 'Microsoft Digital Image 2006' since 2007 or earlier. It's > been a terrific program, particularly 'Photo Sh...

Office v. X
On my new g5 single 1,6 ghz office for x won't work propperly. When i change the format of a cell the machine frezes and after two = minutes=20 the fan turns into a hairdryer - speeds up loud ... Any fix for the g5 processor available? I installed any available update for all office apps on my machine Beste, Stefan Hi Stefan, Did you try any troubleshooting steps? For example, after installing office and all of the updates did you run Disk Utility First Aid and repair permissions? Did you run TechTools from your Applecare CD? -Jim -- Jim Gordon Mac MVP MVPs are not Microsoft Emplo...

Where to find information about Microsoft Exceptions
I've got a program that is throwing an InvalidFunctionCallException when calling a function from a third party library. However, I cannot seem to find any information on the InvalidFunctionCallException type. Can anyone point me in the right direction to look for exceptions like these? Thanks, Josh McFarlane On 11 Jul 2005 11:15:30 -0700, Josh McFarlane wrote: > I've got a program that is throwing an InvalidFunctionCallException > when calling a function from a third party library. However, I cannot > seem to find any information on the InvalidFunctionCallException type. &...

Can any Microsoft person tell me if this is a bug?
Is this a bug? We have Outlook/Exchange 2003 and the users are running in cached mode. When a user recovers a deleted item from their deleted items folder it does not show up in their mailbox. If you look at the syncronization settings there is 1 item now on the server and 0 in the folder. The item does not come down to the client even if you press F9. If you go into your Outlook web access the file is there but not on the client. If you take the user out of cached mode it works every time. I have narrowed it down to a policy problem. When you set the policy, Emptytrash 1 (Empty Deleted Item...

Upgrading from Office V.X to office 2004 professional
Can I upgrade my copy of Office V.X (standard edition) to Office 2004 Professional by simply buying the Office 2004 prof upgrade (and not the full edition)? Simply put, yes! For detailed information on upgrading, see this page: <http://www.microsoft.com/mac/howtobuy.aspx?pid=upgrade#office2004> On 9/26/04 8:36 AM, in article c75f9b42.0409260536.10b01f00@posting.google.com, "JT" <john.turner@whitehallcc.com> wrote: > Can I upgrade my copy of Office V.X (standard edition) to Office 2004 > Professional by simply buying the Office 2004 prof upgrade (and not > the...