Menu in Word behaving oddly; items (like the entire contents of the Tools menu) disappearing...

Hey, I'd be oh-so-grateful if anyone has any idea how I could address
this problem. I'm quite mystified. I'm running MS Word for X on my Mac
(OS 10.4.3), and lately some odd things have begun happening. At first
I was just working around them, but I've decided live my computer life
too much that way (ignoring problems and hoping they go away), so
thought I should look into this before it gets out of control. Items
have been disappearing from the Word menu bar. That is, for instance,
after I had used the "Symbols" option under the "Insert" menu one day,
it disappeared altogether. I had not changed any settings of any sort
and so was mystified. I managed to get it back by fiddling with the
"Customize" option under the "Tools" menu, however today I lost the
entire contents of my "Tools" menu. Instead, a list of my fonts appears
when I select "Tools" which is identical to the "Font" list beside it.
Obviously I can't therefore access the "Customize" option anymore. Has
anyone heard of this sort of thing happening? I can't think what's
causing it. I've never had such troubles before, and am now worried
everything is going to start slowly disappearing! Thanks so very much
to anyone who might be able to shed some light on what is happening
here and how I might address it...

I would try the standard troubleshooting measures, which you will find
listed here:

http://word.mvps.org/MacWordNew/TroubleshootingIndex.htm
(hit refresh a few times in Safari, or use a different browser)

Work through them one by one until something helps.  If nothing does, post
back. The most common culprit is a corrupted Normal template or damaged
Preferences file.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

daiyaNOSPAM (1173)
11/23/2005 8:15:18 AM
OK, I'll try this. Thanks very much for your help, I really appreciate
it!

In Visio how can I link a shape to a word file
I am creating a flowchart and would like to know if I can use the Shapes as buttons and get them to link to a word file stored on a drive? On Tue, 31 May 2005 05:57:21 -0700, BB1066 <BB1066@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am creating a flowchart and would like to know if I can use the Shapes as >buttons and get them to link to a word file stored on a drive? Select the shape then from the 'Insert' menu select 'Hyperlinks'. -- Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. http://www.pherber.com/ SanDriLa - SDL/MSC/TTCN/UML2 application for Visio http...

Printing Labels (Receipts) For Each Item On Work Order
I need to print labels containing Ship to Address, Item Look up Number and description. Each Item Needs an Individual Label With All of This Information and the Number of Labels Printed Should Reflect The Quantity From a Work Order. I am attempting to do this as a receipt. I am looking at code from existing receipts and trying to cut and paste what I need from diffrent receipts into one that may suite my needs. I am no XML pro to say the least. If anyone knows a better way or has more experience with XML and may wanna help I would appreciate it! ...

A2K-TOOLS
Hi, i want to create a form to convert several hundreds of A97 dbs to A2K. does anybody know what which routines are behind the Convert to current Database-Version in the A2K-Tools Database Utilities option. How could this be integrated in my form for the convert-loop over the a97-dbs. many thanks f=FCr helping The vast, vast majority of Access 97 databases can be opened in Access 2000 (or any later version) and saved in Access 2000 format. No, I don't have a suggestion as to how you would automate that task. There are, however, some very accomplished Access developers...

adding items to the action pane in GP 10
We need to offer the capability to add additional windows to the "Go To" button in the Action Panes, beyond the (very) limited options currently available. For example, in the Accounts view of the Financial Center, there is no way to Add to the "Go To" a link to the "Actual vs. Budget Inquiry Window". Lacking this feature requires the user to either return to the Financial Center page, or to use the drop -down menus (Inquiry >> Financial >> Actual vs Budget). Either approach requires the user to re-enter the account number, essentially starti...

Suggestion: Print all items on pick ticket
We have a need to print all items on pick tickets, not just those items in stock. Please provide a method for removing this restriction. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/d...

Offline DB Items don't fully sync with Online DB
When I'm in Online mode I can see all of my items. If I go into Offline Mode, several items are not there. These items were added several months ago, and the two databases have been sync'd successfully over that time. Qtys are updated, Cashier Info is updates....everything looks good except for about 20 items (out of about 1000). No obvious clues among the items that don't make it over. Appears to be random. This is my second install so whatever you can suggest would be appreciated. -- Consultant ...

a sound like " du dum" when I come out of lower power mode
I hooked up the printer, scanner, and web-cam in the middle of a boot, and then I started gettting a " du dum " noise when it comes out of " low-power" mode, or " stand-by " mode. When the monitor goes blank after 20 mins, coming back out after moving the mouse, it makes the noises, " do dumm". I know something is an amiss. What is the problem? -- attilathehun1 "attilathehun1" <attilathehun1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7980E0FE-9A5D-42CF-BDCA-0B56DF9E4402@microsoft.com >I hooked up the printer, s...

Toolbar buttons (text and bitmaps) are disappearing, when using with MFC CToolBar class
Guys, help me to sovle the following problem I have a MFC SDI application (Vc++ 6.0) ( 2 Threads, UI and data acqusition thread). The UI is having a simple toolbar control with text and bitmap. The problem is once i run this application after doing some gui operation (like invoking some dialog box changing to diffrent view) the toolbar button is getting disappeared. sometimes the fonts of the toolbar button is getting changed or sometimes when i move the mouse over the toolbar, the buttons is slowly going away( only back ground color of rebar is comming. Is there any methods to debug this ki...

How to move Calendar items from one Calendar folder to another?
Hello How to move Calendar items from one Calendar folder to another? I'm tempted to say "Drag & Drop them" but you might have already tried that... "Dmitry Kopnichev" <kopn@bk.ruDelete> wrote in message news:ezxf2$e5FHA.2560@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hello > How to move Calendar items from one Calendar folder to another? Yes, I have already tried that. They do not follow. "Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook]" <vince@omegageek.com> �������/�������� � �������� ���������: news:Og2ZHGf5FHA.4076@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I'm tempted ...

Is there something like Word's "CREATEDATE" function in Excel?
I've created a lovely invoice in Excel for my company. When I generate a new invoice from the template it puts in the date using the TODAY() function, but unfortunately this updates if I ever open the invoice again to look at it. In Word there is a "CREATEDATE" function which inserts the date that the file was created first, and never after does it change. Is there any way to accomplish this same task in Excel? Thanks, Michael mleenheer @ yahoo.com ML, Keyboard shortcut to date stamp is put your cursor in the cell you want and push -- ctrl ; --(thats ctrl and semicolon...

Opening Word 2007 Files
One of my co-workers is having a problem in opening Word 2007 files. He can open them directly in Word, but can open any by double clicking the file Icon in Windows Explorer. She insists there is something wrong with Word 2007, in the way files are created and saved and is quite animated to all of her other co-workers on this subject. I really need to solve this issue - does anyone have any experience with this sort of a problem. I thank you Carl I think that the file associations might be messed up. Find a Word file on the computer in question and right click it. Look fo...

Word document sent by Mac client lost encoding when opened in OWA
When a Macintosh users sends a Word or Excel document(with the proper Windows extentions) the Word document loses its encoding when you try to open it with the OWA. The Excel document is unrecognized. When you open the message with an Outlook client on Windows or Mac the attachments are fine. ...

Why does / cause cursor to go to File menu?
Using Excel 2002 SP 3. Why I try to enter / (forward slash) in a cell the corsor jumps to the File menu and the cell remians empty Why? Can I prevent this, if so how? TIA. Hi, Chris. Sounds like you have Lotus 123 settings in your Excel. Go to Tools-Options, Transition tab and untick any Lotus options. ________________________ **** Hope it helps! **** ~Dreamboat www.VBAExpress.com/forum ************************ "Chris Mitchell" <chris.a.mitchell@MAPSONbtinternet.com> wrote in message news:cdt5ep$cgf$1@sparta.btinternet.com... > Using Excel 2002 SP 3. > > Why...

Rule is copying item instead of moving it
I have a .inbox (. to make it come first in the list) and a receipts folder under my personal folders. I've created a rule to move anything with "read:" in the subject to the receipts folder on my personal. Then I have some rules to move anything else (3 rules, one for each importance to capture all e-mails) to my .inbox. The receipts move rule is putting items in the receipts folder but it also leaves a copy in the .inbox (indicating that it's getting captured in the 2nd set of rules). I specifically run the receipts rule first so it's taken care of but I can&#...

Importing Excel and Word using automation
The last time I tried this I got very frustrated. I think I'll probably need to buy a book or something. Can someone recommend such a resource, or any other suitable resource for that matter? Before you go out and buy a book, try reading the Automation documentation that Microsoft provides with their Office applications. The documentation file names vary, depending on the version of Office, but for instance, my Office 2003 documentation is in files named the following (obviously, the root path varies depending on where you installed): E:\Office\OFFICE11\1033\VBAXL10.CHM E:\Office\OFF...

Updating mailNickname (ms-Exch-Mail-Nickname) with the contents of samAccountName (SAM-Account-Name)
I currently have an issue where a good chuck of my e-mail accounts all have Alias fields in Exchange that match the AD login account. However my counterpart administrators in another country have not followed this procedure and therefore their alias fields are many different things with no standardization. I've been asked to find a way to get all exchange accounts alias fields to match their AD login account. If anyone knows anyway (i.e. - script, tool) way to do this I would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks, Mark "Stingray" <ks_stingray@hotmail.com> wrote: >I...

Line Item Comment Text On Forms
Good morning. I am trying to get the line item comment text to appear on my Sales Transaction entry forms (i.e. quotes, orders, and invoices). At present, this field shows but only 4 lines of text and only so wide. I would like to get infinite lines of text with the field growing or shrinking as need be on the form. Would appreciate any advice here. cheap ugg > On Tuesday, July 26, 2011 10:50 AM Mark Plaideau wrote: > Good morning. > > > > I am trying to get the line item comment text to appear on my Sales Transaction entry forms (i.e. quotes, orders, and invoi...

Issues regarding drawing tools

Item Code
Hi, In Item listing in Smartlist, I found a column for Item Code. This is distinct from Item Number and I could not find this in any menu, report or input screen. Maybe I am not seeing well enough. Does any one know the functionality of Item code while we already have Item number? Thanks CarlG My understanding is that the Item Code field is not currently being used and is planned to be used for international (non-US) versions of the software. "CarlG" wrote: > Hi, > > In Item listing in Smartlist, I found a column for Item Code. This is > distinct from Item Num...

Returning the price of an item
I need to have Excel return the price of an item when I enter it. I work with lists and I frequently type in an item and then I manually enter a price for the item. The cost of the item is known, I just have to look it up in a book and then manually type in the price. Is there a way to create a table, using two columns, one with the item description, one with the price I want returned in my spreadsheet? That way I make only one entry and the computer returns the proper price for me. Thanks, Randy Hi Randy It sounds like VLOOKUP might do the trick. Put your data into a table, on a sepe...

How can I re-size the entire spreadsheet?
I have a client who created a speredsheet and it is so large! The view is set to 10% and takes up the page. I want to import it into Word, but it takes up several pages. How can I make it smaller? Brian, Thanks for the suggestion, but it did not work. The thing came in over 12 pages and I could not re-size it. Connie >-----Original Message----- >Copy the spreadsheet and do Edit/Paste special/Picture in Word. You can then resize. > > >Regards >BrianB >====================================================== > > >"Connie" <brodishc@bellsouth....

how to change numbers into words,
In excel how to change numberical data into english words, many times currency figures are required to be stated into english words as well so what is the formula for this problem, for example for US$ 5400 : $ Five thousand four hundred is the conversion into words. See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0004.html -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Mukesh Dhoot" <Mukesh Dhoot @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B59710A8-2377-4CF5-98B0-229933A3DE33@microsoft.com... > In excel how to change numberical data into e...

Disappearing text
Previously inserted text disappears and blinks on the screen, then disappears again. How and where do I find it? I would look for a video driver upgrade from the manufacturer's web site. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Dismayed" <Dismayed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A9CBBF8E-CA4B-455A-B29F-869B03F796F6@microsoft.com... > Previously inserted text disappears and blinks on the screen, then disappears > again. How and where do I find it? ...

No free/busy for select users after running DST Tool (NonExistent.
We ran the Exchange tool this weekend on our Exchange environment and it seems that a few people are showing no info for the free/busy calendar. These people were also in the .txt file named NonExistent.txt after running the tool. How can I fix this? On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 05:44:15 -0800, mpallo <mpallo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We ran the Exchange tool this weekend on our Exchange environment and it >seems that a few people are showing no info for the free/busy calendar. > >These people were also in the .txt file named NonExistent.txt after running >the too...

Why isn't OL2007 e-mail more like Google Mail?
I had a look at a friend's Google Mail Inbox the other day, and it's really impressive. E-mails are automatically grouped by conversation. Better still, when you read one message, the others in the thread appear as popup tabs above and below it, which you can enlarge or reduce with one click. It's truly cool. (Outlook can't do this unless you create a special search folder, and then that doesn't work very well.) Then Google Mail automatically removes the rest of the thread which you don't want cluttering the window and replaces it with 'Show quoted text...